PDA

View Full Version : Broncos must be gunning for great draft

OldManBronco
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
March 2nd col. from Dave Krieger

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/02/krieger-broncos-offseason-moves-puzzling/

On the third day of the NFL's free agency period, the Broncos rested.

Of course, they mostly rested the first two days, too, so they may not be on the seven-day plan.

So far, we can draw the following conclusions:

* Pat Bowlen meant it when he said cash was an issue. As I understand it, their biggest splash in free agency so far is the guy who hosts The Colbert Report on Comedy Central.

* Mike Shanahan meant it when he said the Broncos were more talented than their 7-9 record indicated. If Bill Parcells ("You are what your record says you are") represents the school of NFL realism, perhaps Shanahan represents the school of surrealism.

* Bowlen meant it when he said chemistry, not talent, was the problem last year. Meet your scapegoats for the '07 season: Todd Sauerbrun, Javon Walker and Ian Gold. And please hold the door for them on their way out.

The biggest surprise so far is that the Broncos have shown no urgency to improve their defense after finishing 28th in the NFL in points allowed. Boss Bailey, Champ's younger brother, may or may not have been in town Sunday. Bailey would be an upgrade over Nate Webster at strong- side linebacker, but his Detroit numbers do not suggest a difference-maker.

Other than that, they've re-signed Ebenezer Ekuban and John Lynch, a pair of veterans on the downhill side.

The theory here must be that the defensive deficiencies were mostly Jim Bates' fault. The former assistant head coach/defense is out the door, so, like Sauerbrun, Walker and Gold, he can be loaded up with baggage from '07.

The Broncos point out that they gave up 187 rushing yards per game for the first five weeks of the season, using Bates' scheme. After that, defensive coordinator Bob Slowik gained influence. Over the final 11 weeks, the Broncos surrendered 122 rushing yards per game.

Based on this progress, Shanahan believes essentially the same defense will per- form much better under Slo- wik than it did under Bates.

As a point of comparison, the Packers made exactly the opposite bet, switching from Slowik to Bates as their defensive coordinator between the 2004 and 2005 seasons. As a result of this change, they improved from 23rd in points allowed in '04 to 20th in '05.

You might recall that Bowlen's chief disappointment in last year's team was the chemistry. "The esprit de corps, for lack of a better expression, I don't know where it was," he said in his season postmortem.

The fault for this, apparently, lay with Sauerbrun, Walker and Gold. Sauerbrun was cut before the season ended following an embarrassing drunken episode. Walker and Gold were cut last week.

It may seem a little odd to blame Walker, who had no off-field trouble, more than Travis Henry, who was at the center of a seasonlong soap opera over his trail of progeny across four states and a failed drug test he beat on appeal. Henry's lack of discipline may not be confined to his personal life. Opposing scouts suggest he is injury prone because he seldom reports in top shape.

In fact, it looks like the bottom line here is less character and more the bottom line. Walker declined to renegotiate his contract; Henry accepted a substantial cut.

But the Walker case illustrates the sort of financial mistake that may have dictated this year's frugal posture. The Broncos have been in the habit of acquiring players such as Walker and Dre Bly and immediately giving them huge new deals without making them play a year first.

Two years ago, the Broncos made Walker their No. 1 receiver. Two years later, he is persona non grata - and a $7 million hit on the salary cap. This is the sort of flip-flop that makes you wonder about Broncos management.

Meanwhile, their first run at a replacement is the big splash so far, free agent Keary Colbert, a former second-round draft pick who hasn't caught a touchdown pass in two years.

Another head-scratcher was Shanahan's absence from the NFL scouting combine, which wrapped up last week in Indianapolis. In the year he declared the Broncos would shift their emphasis from free agency to the draft, he elected not to watch the draft class work out in person.

For now, the Broncos have eight picks in the draft, including two of the first 42. If they can turn those top picks into playmakers, they might yet improve their talent level for the coming year. Or, they might trade down and increase the size of their draft haul rather than trade up and decrease it, as they have the last two years.

Mainly, they are counting on improvement from the three defensive linemen they drafted in 2007. The two lines remain the team's weakest links. Tom Nalen's return at center should help on the offensive side, but Ben Hamilton's concussion issues leave the Broncos one helmet-to-helmet hit away from another hole to plug.

A great draft, of course, could solve a lot of these problems. Based on their apparent lack of interest in the free agent market, it looks like they will need one.

The question I have for "those in the know about the combine" is it normal for the HC to go to the combine?

Requiem / The Dagda
03-03-2008, 08:40 PM
This is actually Shanahan's second year in a row he hasn't went to Indianapolis, a real head scratcher if you ask me.

dogfish
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
thumbs up their asses. . .

if the defense was bates' fault, why did it suck so bad down the stretch the year before?

i have no problem relying primarily on the draft, but if that's the way they want to go they're going to have to do it better-- consistently-- than they have for most of shanahan's time here. . . and i don't buy that crap about last year's team being more talented than what the record indicated-- typical coachspeak bullshit. . . good teams don't lose to the detroit frickin' lions by 40 points, or get absolutely dominated by a divisional foe four games in a row. . . seriously, look at our offensive tackles, defensive tackles, safeties and outside linebackres, and then tell me what a tremendously talented team this is-- sure, we've got good talent in certain positions, but top to bottom this is a very average roster at best. . . anything can happen, but i'll be awfully surprised if cutting some odds and ends and bringing in a few talented rookies (hopefully) makes much of a difference. . . sounds like justification to me. . . i can't wait to see what their plan is when we get to the draft. . .

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 09:23 PM
This is actually Shanahan's second year in a row he hasn't went to Indianapolis, a real head scratcher if you ask me.

Do you think that means he is trusting his scouts more then in the past or that he don't care about the draftee's combine performance?

Bronco9798
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I love the off-season. Never seen so may people get rattled, then turn the corner come regular season.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
if the defense was bates' fault, why did it suck so bad down the stretch the year before?

. . .

ooh, ooh, I know this one. I believe the defense struggled down the stretch for 2 reasons.

1-They were frickin EXHAUSTED. They were on the field almost 40 minutes per game...no joke. Starting week 1, when we gave up like 5 or 6 FGs at St. Louis...the O could not get anything done.

2-They kinda gave up when Shanny made the QB switch, all but saying he was prepping for the future. It's not excusable to give up, but I do see that as a definite possibility.

PatricktheDookie
03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Why does a coach need to go to the combine? I can't imagine there's anything to gain.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Why does a coach need to go to the combine? I can't imagine there's anything to gain.

The interviews. Given his histroy of taking chances on bad character guys, it concerns me that he isn't apparently interested in talking to these guys face to face.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Shanahan has a new system in place... here is what he does:

1) Picks up the telephone
2) Dials Jeff Fisher's cell number
3) Ask Jeff what he thinks about so and so
4) Based on Jeff's answer Shanahan makes his decision.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
The interviews. Given his histroy of taking chances on bad character guys, it concerns me that he isn't apparently interested in talking to these guys face to face.

Jeff Fisher does all of our interviews for us.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 10:27 PM
great minds think alike

Requiem / The Dagda
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Do you think that means he is trusting his scouts more then in the past or that he don't care about the draftee's combine performance?

I have no idea what it means. I do know that Mike was not there last year and I know that a lot of owners, GM's and head coaches go to interview the players and get to see for themselves hands down who is there. Maybe he is putting more faith into the scouts and the PP department, but who knows. If I was the coach, I'd be at Indianapolis.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Maybe money is tight.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe Bowlen isn't letting Shanny out of his sight. God only knows what kind of deals Shanny would make if he was allowed to leave the state.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm thinking Shanahan has a new HD Plasma TV and just maybe Shanahan watches it on NFL network like the rest of us. He probably figures after years of bad drafting on his own that he is better off listening to what the "experts" think.

Superchop 7
03-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Let's see....."our" scouts don't like Kenny Phillips.

San Diego thinks he is one of the "best" players they've seen at the combine.

(They also love Cromartie)

I can't think of a club that has drafted better in recent memory. (maybe Dallas)

Nope.

No reason to go see for yourself Shanny.

It's just "part of your job", especially, when you have annointed yourself "Grand Poobah of all you see"

nj10
03-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Shanahan has a new system in place... here is what he does:

1) Picks up the telephone
2) Dials Jeff Fisher's cell number
3) Ask Jeff what he thinks about so and so
4) Based on Jeff's answer Shanahan makes his decision.

That's how we got Cutler :salute:

broncosfanscott
03-04-2008, 01:22 AM
As HC and Executive VP of Football Operations, Shanahan should have been there. I mean if we are going to be building in the draft more than what better way to see the crop of draftees.

Too bad FA isn't after the draft, therefore we would know what positions we need more than others.

Chidoze
03-04-2008, 01:32 AM
ooh, ooh, I know this one. I believe the defense struggled down the stretch for 2 reasons.

1-They were frickin EXHAUSTED. They were on the field almost 40 minutes per game...no joke. Starting week 1, when we gave up like 5 or 6 FGs at St. Louis...the O could not get anything done.

2-They kinda gave up when Shanny made the QB switch, all but saying he was prepping for the future. It's not excusable to give up, but I do see that as a definite possibility.
If they were so exhausted, then maybe they should have done a better job at stopping the opposing offense on 3rd down instead of staying on the field for 40 minutes....:faint:

Lonestar
03-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Lets see mikey does not go to the combine the last two years and we have our best drafts ever.

He checks with Jeff Fischer about Jay! Me thinks it was more like Dinger living in Vanderbilt country for 3 years or so and seeing his name in the paper and in person alot..

While mikey may have talked with Jeff about Jay you can bet your ass that he talked with Dinger more..

Thin Boss comment ed about him watching on the NFL network, listening to the experts.. Probably more truth the matter than we want to know..

Years ago everyone wanted to come to DEN and work for mikey and his coaching system. Certainly does not seem like that any more..

Perhaps this is one reason he does not attend, does not want to scare off potential players..

Now I seem to remember almost every other HC there in the stands eye balling the talent maybe mikey's feels he is above all that mundane stuff.

Or maybe he just does not want any of the other HCs seeing him drool over the players..

fcspikeit
03-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Lets see mikey does not go to the combine the last two years and we have our best drafts ever.

He checks with Jeff Fischer about Jay! Me thinks it was more like Dinger living in Vanderbilt country for 3 years or so and seeing his name in the paper and in person alot..

While mikey may have talked with Jeff about Jay you can bet your ass that he talked with Dinger more..

Thin Boss comment ed about him watching on the NFL network, listening to the experts.. Probably more truth the matter than we want to know..

Years ago everyone wanted to come to DEN and work for mikey and his coaching system. Certainly does not seem like that any more..

Perhaps this is one reason he does not attend, does not want to scare off potential players..

Now I seem to remember almost every other HC there in the stands eye balling the talent maybe mikey's feels he is above all that mundane stuff.

Or maybe he just does not want any of the other HCs seeing him drool over the players..

After sorting through all the sarcasm I have to say Jr, You are really on to something here. There is no excuse for Mikey not being there!

WTH, he doesn't even want to talk to his potential draft picks? Is he so conceded that he thinks someone will steal his player just because Mike Shanahan feels they are worthy of an interview? It is his freaking job! Not only is he the coach but he has the final say on who gets picked. How can he not see this as an important part of the draft? :shot:

If anyone can think of a good reason for him not being there please let me know because I really can't think of one? :confused:

Superchop 7
03-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Two words why he should be there......Maurice Clarett

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:00 AM
If they were so exhausted, then maybe they should have done a better job at stopping the opposing offense on 3rd down instead of staying on the field for 40 minutes....:faint:

No sparky...maybe the O should have converted a 3rd down to allow the D to rest...and not turn the ball over. The St. Louis game is the perfect example. The O turned it over in the STL red zone and couldn't move past the 50 it seemed...the D only gave up FGs...10-12 games of that gets mighty old.