PDA

View Full Version : TSN:Broncos Team Report

Skinny
08-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Posted: August 28, 2007
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

REASONS FOR OPTIMISM: RB Travis Henry appears to be the powerful workhorse back the team has lacked the past few seasons. His vision and quick feet are valuable assets in a zone-blocking scheme that requires numerous cutbacks. He's someone coach Mike Shanahan can lean on in the fourth quarter. With CBs Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly, the Broncos will be able to play more man-to-man coverage and take chances up front, if desired, because they will act as a security blanket. Bailey's ability to play off the ball, read the quarterback and react is unparalleled, and Bly brings an aggressive mentality on the other side. WR Javon Walker is a full year removed from his recovery from knee surgery and figures to be even better with a year in the offense and the strong-armed Jay Cutler to get him the ball on deep routes. Brandon Marshall will line up opposite Walker and draw defenders away from him, and Henry is good enough to set up play-action passes.

REASONS FOR CONCERN: The loss of DE Ebenezer Ekuban (Achilles') for the season weakens a line with equal amounts of talent and question marks. DT Sam Adams is 34. DT Jimmy Kennedy struggled with the Rams. The rookie trio of DE Jarvis Moss, RE Tim Crowder and DT Marcus Thomas is woefully inexperienced. Cutler has worked on his footwork and decision making, but can he be a steady leader for a team with its sights set on the Super Bowl? The coverage and return units have been among the worst in the league for years. New special teams coordinator Scott O'Brien's knowledge of the league and schemes are solid, but getting results could take some time.

RASIZER'S BOTTOM LINE: The Broncos are at the top of the AFC's second tier, behind Indianapolis, New England and San Diego. They have plenty of talent, but with a new defensive system to employ, newcomers to work in and young players to develop in key spots, the team might not hit its stride for at least a few weeks. The frontloaded home schedule will help in that regard, but then it's a matter of avoiding the late-season fade that has been too common in the past few seasons. A 10- or 11-win season is a realistic expectation.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=263739

topscribe
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Looks like one of the better analyses I've seen, although I believe Rasizer is a
bit pessimistic about the DE position and about Adams. I'm not worred aobut
either of those. The RT position and depth at DT are my main concerns.

Of course, Cutler is also a concern at the time. He will drop our jaws at times
with what he can do, and make boneheaded mistakes at others. He is still, in
effect, a rookie, with all of five regular season games under his belt.

But still, he should do fine in the long run. I'm not sure about the other
positions I mentioned.

-----

Lonestar
08-28-2007, 09:09 PM
It looks to be a pretty fair look see as far as I can see. This guys writes for th RMN if I remember correctly.

BTW thanks for putting a source and a link in the post. Good job finding it.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
It looks to be a pretty fair look see as far as I can see. This guys writes for the RMN if I remember correctly.

BTW thanks for putting a source and a link in the post. Good job finding it.

That's is correct, Rasizer writes for the RMN, I also think he's usually pretty accurate in his reporting.

Skinny
08-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Seeing that the defense is going through some growing pains, Scott O'Brien's addition to the coaching staff and his known reputation for great special teams play is really going to be a huge asset to the defense.

Especially in the early part of the season till the kinks are worked out and this unit gells together.

I've seen an improvement on that part of our team already and really look forward to seeing just how much better the ST gets.

That area is such a key for us in having "home feild advantage". Something we need to take advantage of where as in years past we have'nt been able to that.

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 09:38 AM
That's is correct, Rasizer writes for the RMN, I also think he's usually pretty accurate in his reporting.

I had thought so I remember some pretty on the spot comments about the team.

Has anyone really stepped up in DEN to take Adam S's spot with accuracy and inside knowledge?