PDA

View Full Version : Still Growing

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9804

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In his first year on the pro circuit, Kenny McKinley learned plenty about himself, his job description and what it takes to make a name for yourself in the National Football League.

A standout receiver at South Carolina, McKinley entered Dove Valley figuring that his receiving skill set would be his biggest asset during his rookie campaign. But with a host of veterans ahead of him on the club's depth chart, the fifth-round pick quickly learned he would need to play other roles to help contribute on the field.

McKinley accepted the challenge head on.

"Coming into the season, I just thought I was going to play receiver," he said. "Then it took me probably half of the season for me to learn that for me to stay on the field, I'd have to play special teams ... I worked very hard at special teams because I knew that was my way to get on the field."

McKinley, who returned punts for the Gamecocks, initially showed his special teams capabilities in the preseason, when he netted 123 combined return yards on punts and kickoffs.

With that exhibition experience in his pocket, McKinley recorded the first regular-season touches of his career by returning two kickoffs for 43 yards against the Cowboys in Week 4. In a limited returning role, he finished the season with seven kickoff returns for 158 yards and three punt returns for 32 yards.

But returning wasn't McKinley's only role in special teams coordinator Mike Priefer's unit. The 6-foot, 183-pound speedster also lined up as a gunner, and finished the season with three special-teams tackles.

"I tried to stay focused on special teams, because that was my way to contribute to the team," McKinley said. "Later on in the season, I think I did a very good job ... Coming into this year, I never thought I'd be doing that stuff. But it is very important to the team and it wins games and it can cost you games."

Just when it appeared that McKinley was finding his groove on special teams, his rookie season came to a halt when he suffered a knee injury against Philadelphia in Week 16 and was placed on injured reserve on Dec. 28. It was far from the way the 21-year-old wanted to end his first season in the NFL, but he hopes it can make him stronger for year two.

"It was sad that it did get cut short by injury, but I'm trying to bounce back and come back harder for next year," McKinley said.

To do so, McKinley's offseason agenda includes working on all components of his game.

"Everything," he said. "From special teams all the way to receiver to return work and gunner work and receiving routes. Every part of (my) game. I just want to be a better, complete player."

Reflecting on his growth as a player, McKinley thought he progressed a lot from OTAs and training camp through the team's 16-game, regular-season slate. Listening to the veterans that surrounded him in the locker room, he said he learned the importance of coming to work and preparing to the best of your ability on a consistent basis.

Watching the work ethic demonstrated day-in and day-out by the likes of Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Lloyd has motivated McKinley to emulate "bits and pieces" from all the players in his position group.

The young wideout didn't simply try to emulate his receiving counterparts. He was far from shy when it came to asking his teammates for advice, or listening to their words of wisdom, according to Stokley.

"When you see a guy like that ask you the questions and go out on the field and work extremely hard at getting better, that just makes you want to help him out more and give him more information," Stokley said.

With the valuable lessons learned in eight games played in year one combined with months of day-to-day NFL experience, McKinley hopes to tweak his all-around game this offseason and come back ready to make a major impact in his sophomore season.

"I just feel that I am still learning and growing and hopefully I'll get better and better," McKinley said. "I'm ready to do some big things in this league."

Lonestar
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
After reading the title I thought for it would be a snide attack on Josh being short.

Glad to see I was wrong to think that was not part of the routine bashing going on.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

MileHighCrew
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I hope he does do some big things in the league, but in a Broncos uniform please.

CoachChaz
01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Career spare in the making

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
I hadn't heard of McKinley until draft day, and in preseason when he kept dropping passes but never gave up I was very much rooting for him and wishing he'd get signed. I was ecstatic when he had two great games and made plays for touchdowns and got signed. That kid is going to be a starter one day.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I hope he does do some big things in the league, but in a Broncos uniform please.

Why? He's a deep threat with speed and great concentration.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-25-2010, 03:42 PM
He also has INSANE footwork.