PDA

View Full Version : Sony...you have got to be kidding!

Reidman
01-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Well, the ole PS3 finally crapped the bed......12 days after my warranty expired!! Apparently it's a well known problem and well documented when Googled. Known as the yellow light of death (Ylod)...nice huh? Guess I burned it up playing MW2..

So, I'm playing my game when out of the blue it freezes, I hear the familiar beeping sound and then the unit shuts down and the red light flashes. I try to turn it on and the light turns green, then the blue light for a brief moment, then a yellow light for a split second and shuts down again. Nothing works, tried turning off master switch and back on again...nothing.

Sooo...I will be breaking open the case and see if I can fix it in the next couple days..wish me luck.

Haven't seen much about this (until now when it happens to me..). Anyone else experience it?

MasterShake
01-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Well, the ole PS3 finally crapped the bed......12 days after my warranty expired!! Apparently it's a well known problem and well documented when Googled. Known as the yellow light of death (Ylod)...nice huh? Guess I burned it up playing MW2..

So, I'm playing my game when out of the blue it freezes, I hear the familiar beeping sound and then the unit shuts down and the red light flashes. I try to turn it on and the light turns green, then the blue light for a brief moment, then a yellow light for a split second and shuts down again. Nothing works, tried turning off master switch and back on again...nothing.

Sooo...I will be breaking open the case and see if I can fix it in the next couple days..wish me luck.

Haven't seen much about this (until now when it happens to me..). Anyone else experience it?

Thats sucks. My PS2 still works and Sony usually has a good track record. I was able to fix my RROD on my 360 myself with some thermal paste and new mounting screws for the heatsink. Find yourself a nice tutorial and just follow directions and you should be fine.

I found this for starters: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Fix-Ps3-Yellow-Light-of-Death&id=2583044

Looks like $150 if you send it in without warranty. Good luck!

When I fixed my Xbox, I didn't screw around. I took it in after I got it running and traded in for a new Xbox 360 with a new Jasper Chipset and new heatsink because the new ones have a failure rate of less than 2% (unlike the 12% from the first generation). I just kept my old Hard Drive. If you do get it up and running, might consider trading in for an upgrade to a newer model. The problem is usually chronic unless you change out chips or motherboards.

Reidman
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, I have my PS3 in pieces on the kitchen table. It's a relatively easy fix requiring me to re-flow the solder for the processors and add new thermal paste to get it up and running. I may have to modify the case to allow for better ventilation for the power supply which caused the problem in the first place. Some guy posted a .PDF and a youtube video outlining the procedure step by step so I got lucky there...

Only problem now is I need a heat gun hot enough (around 600+ degrees) to melt and level the solder and I don't have one...:tsk:

LordTrychon
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Well, I have my PS3 in pieces on the kitchen table. It's a relatively easy fix requiring me to re-flow the solder for the processors and add new thermal paste to get it up and running. I may have to modify the case to allow for better ventilation for the power supply which caused the problem in the first place. Some guy posted a .PDF and a youtube video outlining the procedure step by step so I got lucky there...

Only problem now is I need a heat gun hot enough (around 600+ degrees) to melt and level the solder and I don't have one...:tsk:

Here... you can borrow mine.

Careful though... you use it just a tad too long and it will vaporize it rather than melt it.

http://nerdbastards.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/lightsaber.jpg

LordTrychon
01-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Seriously though... good luck with that. :salute:

Shazam!
01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Craigslist has people posting repairs for 360 and PS3. Search it.

That's one thing I gotta give to Microsoft, sure 360s crap out all the time, but they're backed up for 3 years.

In fact, my warranty is about to run out. I'm thinking of calling and getting the free repair/refurbished one and getting an extra year of coverage. Since I have a PS3 too, I won't lose out much.

My PS2 still works and Sony usually has a good track record.

First run PS2's had a long history of crapping out. I had one and had nothing but problems. I wouldn't read a ton of games in just a couple of months, and it never read DVDs.

Day1BroncoFan
01-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Sony sucks, I'm mad at them. I don't buy their stuff anymore either.

Good luck with the repair.

MasterShake
01-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Craigslist has people posting repairs for 360 and PS3. Search it.

That's one thing I gotta give to Microsoft, sure 360s crap out all the time, but they're backed up for 3 years.

In fact, my warranty is about to run out. I'm thinking of calling and getting the free repair/refurbished one and getting an extra year of coverage. Since I have a PS3 too, I won't lose out much.

First run PS2's had a long history of crapping out. I had one and had nothing but problems. I wouldn't read a ton of games in just a couple of months, and it never read DVDs.

Craigslist is a good idea. And definitely send you 360 in before the warranty expires for the new heatsink. They process so many they don't even check if they are broken.

And you are correct. I forgot my first PS2 crapped out, but the one I bought after that I've had since 2002. (DISC READ ERROR!)

shank
01-25-2010, 01:09 PM
i got to the point where i could clean the laser of my ps2 in like 3 minutes flat i had to do it so many times.

Shazam!
01-25-2010, 01:49 PM
i got to the point where i could clean the laser of my ps2 in like 3 minutes flat i had to do it so many times.

I have forgotten how many times I did that. The first time the tape-like wiring for the power I pulled it out! Took a tweezer and a half hour to get it back in the tiny little slot.

I must've did it to my original 20 times, my second (that my Gf's brother was gonna throw out) 5 times, and another 3 ties for friends and family.

At least MS backed up their thing for 3 years after acknowledging there was a serious problem.

Reidman
01-26-2010, 01:36 AM
The thing is, sony won't acknowledge this as a problem since it only happens to around 1/2 % of all PS3's sold (their numbers so who knows how accurate they are).

I still love my PS3 and I do like Sony products but given the amount of power they packed into such a small enclosure and the price they charge, I think they should have engineered it a little better.

Shazam!
01-26-2010, 02:54 AM
Supposedly newer slim PS3s have better cooling fans to avoid overheating issues.

Instead of altering the casement, they sell PS3 Intercoolers for the big first run PS3s too that work great. Check it out Reid, they cost like $30 or used at Gamestop.

Buff
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
My friend's PS3 recently shit the bad after his warranty was long expired and he was able to send it in and swap it out for a refurb... I can't remember what he paid, I think it was like $100--which sucks, but it's better than buying a new one.

I just sent him an email asking him how much it cost.

Buff
01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
He said it was $150, which sucks, but it's better than paying full price again. He said his replacement has been good as new.

Shazam!
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Craigslist has people who offer repairs for like $50. No ****ing way I'd pay 50% the price of a new one to get it fixed.

You'd be better off getting a new XBox 360 guaranteed for 3 years for that price.

Buff
01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Craigslist has people who offer repairs for like $50. No ****ing way I'd pay 50% the price of a new one to get it fixed.

You'd be better off getting a new XBox 360 guaranteed for 3 years for that price.

Part of his problem is that he lives in Crested Butte, which doesn't have a ton of options in the electronics dept. So it was easier to mail it off than it was to wait on getting it fixed locally.

I agree that $150 is a crock of shit, but for as much as I use my PS3, I'd pay it before I bought a new console.

Shazam!
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I hear that Bro, but they are out there in Colorado.

A quick search here High Rockies CL-

http://rockies.craigslist.org/vgm/1570903860.html

$150 just sucks. Now I'm praying for my PS3.

Reidman
01-27-2010, 04:50 AM
For the record, my PS3 was never in any enclosed cabinet. I had it sitting on the top shelf of a completely open entertainment center. I did leave it on 24/7 so I wonder if this contributed to the problem.

At any rate, once repaired, I will look into an intercooler like you suggested Shazam. Apparently they are very affective but do add some noise but I can live with that if it saves my console...

Shazam!
01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
The noise of these cooling devices is exaggerated. Sure it does make noise when operating, but with the volume of games and if you're watching movies, you'll not even notice.

I think all PS3 and 360 owners need to invest in these types of secondary cooling devices. These consoles are so expensive, they're an investment and need to be protected. Especially if you're not adept at cracking them open and soldering shit. I am in no way a computer tech.

MasterShake
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
The noise of these cooling devices is exaggerated. Sure it does make noise when operating, but with the volume of games and if you're watching movies, you'll not even notice.

I think all PS3 and 360 owners need to invest in these types of secondary cooling devices. These consoles are so expensive, they're an investment and need to be protected. Especially if you're not adept at cracking them open and soldering shit. I am in no way a computer tech.

Haven't intercoolers been known to ruin Xboxs? My friend had one melt onto his machine at the plug in point. Don't know if this is isolated.

Shazam!
01-27-2010, 10:43 AM
The original Intercoolers messed up 360s. They have been improved, and the PS3 ones are quite different and newer. I know of no other cooler for the PS3 other than Nyko's PS2 Intercooler.

I use the term 'cooling devices' usually, lumping them all together. I have never used an Intercooler for my 360 because of the problems with the original. I know they have improved the newer ones. The originals had a plastic bypass for the power supply on the 360s that melted and the newer ones are metal, larger, and have more fans. I don;t recommend these though either.

I use 'Cooling Stands' which stand the 360 vertically and don't connect through the power supply like the Intercooler did.

I had a Pelican model that used an AC Adapter. It was cool and had green LED lights. It had two fans, but one of them kicked the bucket so I got a new one.

I now have the Gamestop cooling fan stand ($9.99, maybe made by Pelican too) and uses the 360's USB port. It only has one fan on it but it's small, unobtrusive and quiet. I've had it on there for almost two years now probably, I have no complaints.

Reidman
01-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Ok...final update.

The PS3 is back online...I followed this guy's tutorial..http://wheretobuyps3.com/index.php/tag/gilksy-pdf/

Sony has got to be pissed at him because I am sure he has cost them some cash by allowing people to tackle this project themselves.
Can't believe how easy it was! I won't be entirely convinced until it stays working for at least a few days but looking good so far...

Labor hrs: 2
Heat gun: -75$ (will be returning tomorrow to Lowes, practically still brand new)
Arctic Silver thermal compound: 10$

Not having to send it in for repair: priceless!

LordTrychon
01-27-2010, 11:22 PM
re:intercoolers.

I got one for my XBox 360 at one point, just to be smart... it was one of the ones that plugged right in, sounds like the one you were describing. It hooked onto the rear vents as well.

I heard that those ones were considered actually modifying the box, and would void the warranty (they could tell one was hooked on from the scratches on the rear where it attached.

Shazam!
01-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Another reason not to use the Intercooler.

Pelican makes a bunch of different platform/vertical coolers that don't attach the same way.

I got one at Kmart that died and the one I have now was from Gamestop. $10. Better and cheaper.