PDA

View Full Version : DEAD CAP SPACE/ signing bonuses

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not a guru on this but can we keep track of all the dead money we have lost the past year or so.

Every time we see an article or comment about what or who is costing the Broncos could they past it here?
signing bonus
in 2007
Gold 5.75 mil
adams .25
champ 4.78
bly 4.5
crowder 1.037
doom .399
ek 1.3
Elam 2.675
graham 10.00
Hamilton 3.5
henry 6.0
leach .3
Marshall .42
McKinley 1.0
moss .5
Ramsey 1.35
rice 2.18
Scheffler .992
P smith .3
Thomas .428
Jwalk 4.0
DJ Williams 2.4

in 2006
Warren 3.71
Nalen 3.0 2006
Lynch 1.55 2006
EK 1.3
brown 1.055

Champ 12.46
Alexander 1.01
Brown 1.26
carlise .5
EK 1.46
Gold 5.75
Hamilton 3.5
Lepsis 1.0
Jake 6.76
PUTZ 1.0
Rod 1.5
Warren 1.3
Al 5.0
darrent 1.278
lynch 1.0
fox .43

So it looks like between jaywalk and gold we have about 7.31 dead from the git go.. based on 4 year contract with one year already paid out..

Elams looks like about 1.34

I also remember someone posting something to the effect of a poison pill as part of Jaywalks contract.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Maybe someone can explain this in laments terms....

say Player A signs a contract for $22 million over 3 seasons. $10 million is his signing bonus, and his yearly contract is $3mill(year1), $4mil(year2), and $5mil(year3).

The team decides to release Player A after his first year.

his signing bonus, and year 1 is already paid for($13 mill). He has $9 mill left over his last 2 years.

Since the remaining number of years on a players contract gets accelerated to the next year if he gets cut, does that mean Player A still counts for $9 mill against the cap the following year after he is cut, even though he is no longer on the team?

shank
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
i don't know silk. why are you asking me?

:laugh:

sorry.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
During the offseason, the “Rule of 51” applies. This means that only the top 51 Cap numbers count against the Cap. This Rule is in place because during the offseason a team’s roster can number into the 80s, so it would be impossible for teams to stay under the Cap.

Once the season starts, the team must fit all players who are under contract under the Cap. That means that all players – players on the 53-man roster, players on IR or PUP and players on the Practice Squad - all must be fit under the Cap.

There are generally 4 ways for a team to create Cap space:

1. Asking a player to take a paycut: This reduces the player’s base salary and Cap number creating more Cap space for the team. This reduction in base salary is often offset by incentives that will allow the player to recoup some of the money that he has given up if he plays well.

2. The release, retirement or trade of a player. (See answers below for additional explanation.)

3. Restructuring a player’s contract by turning the bulk of his base salary into a signing bonus that is then, for Cap purposes, pro-rated over the remaining years of the player’s contract.

4. Extending a player’s contract to reduce his present Cap number. This is accomplished by reducing his base salary in favor of new signing bonus. The new bonus then counts against the Cap in equal pro-rated portions over the length of the new contract (up to certain league mandated limits).

The release/trade/retirement of a player prior to June 1 provides the team with the least amount of Salary Cap relief, but it does allow the team to take the entire hit in 2008 thereby leaving no lasting Cap implications for that player going into the future.

Releasing a player after June 1 allows the team to spread the bonus acceleration over this year and next. While it does cause “dead money” (Cap space charged against the Cap due to players no longer on the team), it provides the team with more extensive Cap relief than a pre-June 1 release.

Teams also have the ability to designate two (2) pre-June 1 releases as post-June 1 releases in order to receive post-June 1 release Cap treatment. This “exemption”, which was created by the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, is really of no advantage to the team because the team still carries the released player’s Cap number until June 1. The “exemption” was put into place, not to help teams create Cap space, but to allow players, who would otherwise not be released until after June 1, to hit the Free Agent market earlier when there are still plenty of free agent dollars to go around (which isn’t often the case after June 1).

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Maybe someone can explain this in laymens terms....

say Player A signs a contract for $22 million over 3 seasons. $10 million is his signing bonus, and his yearly contract is $3mill(year1), $4mil(year2), and $5mil(year3).

The team decides to release Player A after his first year.

his signing bonus, and year 1 is already paid for($13 mill). He has $9 mill left over his last 2 years.

Since the remaining number of years on a players contract gets accelerated to the next year if he gets cut, does that mean Player A still counts for $9 mill against the cap the following year after he is cut, even though he is no longer on the team?

He makes the 13 million in the first year taking that less taxes to the bank.

But the 10 million for cap purposes is divided by the number of years on the contract.. 3.33 per year..

So unless the rest of the contract years are guaranteed (9 million 2nd and 3rd years) or there is not other poison pill provisions, the $6.66mil is the dead cap space for that player against the cap space... The 9mil just disappears for the books and his pocket..

Which as Boss explained above eaten all in this coming year 2008 or if they can spread over two years because the 01JUN cut provision..

Superchop 7
03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
This is how the Bronco's maintain the appearance of spending alot, but actually only spend "middle of the league" money in salaries.

Backload the contract.

Unless the player is "truly" worth the remaining years on his contract, cut him, take the cap hit, keep the money.

Think about it.

arapaho2
03-03-2008, 10:00 PM
This is how the Bronco's maintain the appearance of spending alot, but actually only spend "middle of the league" money in salaries.

Backload the contract.

Unless the player is "truly" worth the remaining years on his contract, cut him, take the cap hit, keep the money.

Think about it.

basic flaw..if we continue to spend only middle of the league in salary

why are we continualy bottom of the league salary cap..think about it

i for one am glad a little that maybe bowlen finaly curbed shannies pension for cap costly free agents......he tends to overpay for what he assumes is a great pickup...darral gardner syndrome

and they dont pan out we are stuck with a lot of dead weight for a couple years on the cap......

if we keep to the draft.....spend our money wisely on those players from inside..marshel, scheffler, cutler, and so on.....and since i believe that alot of the problems were simply bates and hermidingers scheme we will improve a bit each year

i would be more then pleased with 9-7 record and deliver one ass kicking of the sparklers next season ...then when the cap is maintained ...then..and only then pick up that one or two FA guys to put us over the top and back to the superbowl

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 11:20 PM

i for one am glad a little that maybe bowlen finaly curbed shannies pension for cap costly free agents......he tends to overpay for what he assumes is a great pickup...darral gardner syndrome

and they dont pan out we are stuck with a lot of dead weight for a couple years on the cap......

if we keep to the draft.....spend our money wisely on those players from inside..marshel, scheffler, cutler, and so on.....and since i believe that alot of the problems were simply bates and hermidingers scheme we will improve a bit each year

i would be more then pleased with 9-7 record and deliver one ass kicking of the sparklers next season ...then when the cap is maintained ...then..and only then pick up that one or two FA guys to put us over the top and back to the superbowl

Outstanding post..

rcsodak
03-03-2008, 11:38 PM

all fine n dandy, rap, except what happens when the cap goes bye-bye, which is being suggested. And once that happens, mr dumbass says he doesn't think it'll ever be approved again.

In other words, screw it and sign every swinging **** out there that's worth a penny! :D

arapaho2
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
all fine n dandy, rap, except what happens when the cap goes bye-bye, which is being suggested. And once that happens, mr dumbass says he doesn't think it'll ever be approved again.

In other words, screw it and sign every swinging **** out there that's worth a penny! :D

well i wouldnt bank on it, not being redone somehow...so goeth cap...so goeth free agency

believe me no player wants to go back to the days when they were stuck with a team forever,, the cap came with FA in the collective bargining agreement..a deal will get done