PDA

View Full Version : Doom on the Dolphins Radar?

Ziggy
01-24-2010, 03:00 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests that impending restricted free
Posted: 2 hrs 13 mins ago. | Source rotoworld.com
Player: Elvis Dumervil

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests that impending restricted free agent OLB Elvis Dumervil will be on the Dolphins' radar this offseason. The connection with Mike Nolan is obvious, as Dumervil enjoyed a career year under the Fins' new defensive boss in 2009.

Ziggy
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I have to say, I'd be very disappointed if the Broncos did let Doom walk without a ton of compensation. It took us forever to get a stud pass rusher. I'd like to see him become part of the new core.

Nomad
01-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I would not be a happy BRONCOS fan!!

Northman
01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
lol, Nolans no idiot. Doom would be a huge loss for us.

CrazyHorse
01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
NO NO NO NO NO........ YES LETS GET RID OF ALL OUR PROBOWLERS MARSHALL AND DOOM who's next Bailey and Clady?

Nomad
01-24-2010, 03:11 PM
NO NO NO NO NO........ YES LETS GET RID OF ALL OUR PROBOWLERS MARSHALL AND DOOM who's next Bailey and Clady?

The Pro Bowl is overrated, but I agree would be idiotic to get rid of our ALL-PRO!!!

Rick
01-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Over react much? It says he is on thier radar....not that he is signed, sealed, delivered.

I am sure the best free agents and draft entries are on ours...that mean we get them all because we are looking at them?

Spiritguy
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Doom isn't on several teams "radars". Doesn't mean squat unless we're willing to give him up.

topscribe
01-24-2010, 03:55 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests that impending restricted free agent OLB Elvis Dumervil will be on the Dolphins' radar this offseason. The connection with Mike Nolan is obvious, as Dumervil enjoyed a career year under the Fins' new defensive boss in 2009.

They'll franchise Dumervil before they let him go. I'm sure of that . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2010, 04:23 PM

The original thread says that per Schefter - "Doom will be on the Dolphins radar this offseason" - IT SAYS NOTHING MORE. Doom probably is on other team's radar also - that DOES not mean the Broncos will LET HIM GO FOR SURE

I am sure there are plenty of FAs out there on MANY team's radar -

topscribe
01-24-2010, 04:37 PM
The original thread says that per Schefter - "Doom will be on the Dolphins radar this offseason" - IT SAYS NOTHING MORE. Doom probably is on other team's radar also - that DOES not mean the Broncos will LET HIM GO FOR SURE

I am sure there are plenty of FAs out there on MANY team's radar -

That was my thinking. I don't think there are many teams who would not be
delighted to have Dumervil. One might pass if one has a Freeney and a Mathis,
but other than that . . .

-----

claymore
01-24-2010, 06:27 PM

-----

I would be shocked if they did that. Pay Champ 12 million and Doom at least that with a tag? No way in hell.

They will tender him, and see where it goes from there.

bcbronc
01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
so we could be going into the draft with 3 #1s and 3 #3s?

WARHORSE
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Nothing more obvious than stating a 3-4 team without a significant pass rusher is interested in the one that lead the league in sacks.:coffee:

Miami isnt the only team.

dogfish
01-24-2010, 08:38 PM

-----

i'm terrified that they won't. . . i think clay's right-- we won't want to pay it, and we'll take our chances with the RFA tender. . . if we do, i think he's gone. . . you just can't find guys that can put up 17 sacks in a season-- not ones who can produce from multiple positions, in multiple fronts, with no other quality pass rushers to draw attention-- in addition to being extremely durable, having a great work ethic and motor, and keeping their mouths shut and never mentioning their contract. . .

nope. . . a lot of GMs consider your edge rusher to be the most important position on the defense, and rightfully so in today's passing league. . . and doom's one of the league's premier edge rushers-- somebody with a low pick will be perfectly happy to give up a 1st and 3rd for a young, dynamic talent with his intangibles. . . miami is the team i was afraid of, and the jets and pats could very well be interested also. . .

if we don't franchise him, IMO it's tantamount to saying we're willing to see him leave. . . kinda like when the seahawks ****ed up by giving steve hutchinson the transition tag instead of the franchise tag, a blunder they've regretted ever since while he's been a rock for minnesota's O-line as their own has fallen apart. . .

broncogirl7
01-24-2010, 10:54 PM
This little bit of news sickens me! Losing Dumervil would alienate alot of Bronco fans. As a fan of orange and blue, McDaniels, we can only take so much!

JDL
01-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Doom is probably a bit overrated by us right now and I think it would be a good time to sell high. He is NOT a good run defender, but did a solid enough job in pass coverage for his first year. This is comparable to KGB in Green Bay... he had seasons of 13.5, 10, 12, 13.5 and then was pushed out after an injury and not brought back... but he wasn't THAT highly thought of there because he was purely 1 dimensional. The same thing has happened to Aaron Kampman who once had 15.5 sacks.

I like Doom a lot, one of my favorite players on the defense.. but the guy supposedly wants Damarcus Ware type money... and our run defense is so porous... I think we can find an OLB pass rusher in the draft later than the 1st rd pick we'd get for him.

Arizona is going to be desperately looking for a pass rusher and they stole Berry from us with a big contract not so long ago. There are a ton of teams that could probably make a run at him and I'm thinking somebody is going to give him more than he is worth, unfortunately... probably best to let him go and rebuild that D, it can't be done in free agency this year (so weak because of the CBA thing) we need to get some young talent on that D in a hurry...ILB, NT and 2 DEs.

Just my take...

Northman
01-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Doom is probably a bit overrated by us right now and I think it would be a good time to sell high. He is NOT a good run defender, but did a solid enough job in pass coverage for his first year. This is comparable to KGB in Green Bay... he had seasons of 13.5, 10, 12, 13.5 and then was pushed out after an injury and not brought back... but he wasn't THAT highly thought of there because he was purely 1 dimensional. The same thing has happened to Aaron Kampman who once had 15.5 sacks.

I like Doom a lot, one of my favorite players on the defense.. but the guy supposedly wants Damarcus Ware type money... and our run defense is so porous... I think we can find an OLB pass rusher in the draft later than the 1st rd pick we'd get for him.

Arizona is going to be desperately looking for a pass rusher and they stole Berry from us with a big contract not so long ago. There are a ton of teams that could probably make a run at him and I'm thinking somebody is going to give him more than he is worth, unfortunately... probably best to let him go and rebuild that D, it can't be done in free agency this year (so weak because of the CBA thing) we need to get some young talent on that D in a hurry...ILB, NT and 2 DEs.

Just my take...

I dont think he is overrated. He managed to improve immensely without any real help on the Dline. One man cant do it alone and i have yet to see anything in print about Doom asking for Dware money. Right now i think its all speculation at best. Sure, he's going to want to raise his stock as well as he should considering the kind of impact he has had here. But, he seems to like McD and might be willing to work on an extension with some bonus money. One way or the other your going to have to pay top tier players and to scrap the heap yet again when there's no real replacement for him is just silly to me. When you have proven players you do what is necessary to keep them. Considering how many defensive schemes Doom has had to change and deal with i think it only fair to give the guy a chance to build some chemistry within that system. Unfortuantely, he will yet again be faced with that dilemma since Nolan's departure. Its easy to sit back and say "hey, Dware is worth the money" but when you look at the respective teams and the surrounding players its like night and day. If there is any player worth keeping on that defense Doom is the guy.

dogfish
01-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I dont think he is overrated. He managed to improve immensely without any real help on the Dline. One man cant do it alone and i have yet to see anything in print about Doom asking for Dware money. Right now i think its all speculation at best. Sure, he's going to want to raise his stock as well as he should considering the kind of impact he has had here. But, he seems to like McD and might be willing to work on an extension with some bonus money. One way or the other your going to have to pay top tier players and to scrap the heap yet again when there's no real replacement for him is just silly to me. When you have proven players you do what is necessary to keep them. Considering how many defensive schemes Doom has had to change and deal with i think it only fair to give the guy a chance to build some chemistry within that system. Unfortuantely, he will yet again be faced with that dilemma since Nolan's departure. Its easy to sit back and say "hey, Dware is worth the money" but when you look at the respective teams and the surrounding players its like night and day. If there is any player worth keeping on that defense Doom is the guy.

completely on point. . . if you want talent, you have to pay for it! if you're not willing to pay, you can always just play without much talent-- and lose. . .

if we move marshall AND doom this offseason, we're looking at a massive talent drain-- someone tell me the last time a team lost their most productive player on both sides of the ball and improved the next year. . . maybe someone can come up with an example, but it's sure not very damn likely-- no matter how many picks you get in return. . . unless guys like ayers and moreno are ready to blossom into full-fledged stars next year, or we can draft some guys that are, then moving both marshall and doom (and probably chef) more than likely puts us into full-on, start completely from scratch type rebuilding mode, and sets us back another year or two. . .

you have to have some frickin' talent besides ryan clady and two aging defensive backs. . . rebuilding the O-line and the D-line is enough of a project, especially if you then add #1 WR to the needs list-- let's not make it any longer, please. . . draft picks are great and all, but how many rookies can you realistically start or expect to play major roles and think you're going to be competitive?

moving marshall may be inevitable given the circumstances, but don't give away an all-pro just entering his prime if you don't have to! he's young, he's healthy, he's talented and productive-- and best of all he's a proven commodity, which no draft pick can say. . . no other player on our team had more than five sacks last season, and that was old man vonnie holliday. . .

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-24-2010, 11:26 PM
I know I said we'd keep Marshall, but this time I PROMISE doom is going nowhere.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2010, 11:27 PM
This little bit of news sickens me! Losing Dumervil would alienate alot of Bronco fans. As a fan of orange and blue, McDaniels, we can only take so much!

???????? Just because he is on another team's radar does not mean he will NOT be a Bronco this coming season. I am sure all or most FAs are on other team's radar.

topscribe
01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
I know I said we'd keep Marshall, but this time I PROMISE doom is going nowhere.

I don't believe Dumervil is going anywhere. They are not about to gut the
successful parts they have managed to build so far.

In fact, I'm not sure Marshall is going anywhere. I read some GMs are looking
for the Broncos to dump Marshall after they find they can't trade him. I believe
that if they can't trade him they will pay him because they are not going to
dump a player who has gathered 300+ passes over three years. They have made
some mistakes, but they aren't stupid . . .

-----

Hoser
01-25-2010, 04:52 AM
I promise you any team that knows what a 3-4 is has Doom on their radar. Does that mean he's leaving Denver? Noooooooooope.

CoachChaz
01-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I see the sky is falling again. Good thing I have an umbrella with me today

GEM
01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I see the sky is falling again. Good thing I have an umbrella with me today

You might just want to keep that baby with you year round around here. :lol:

turftoad
01-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Elvis will be on a lot of teams radar.

With McD's (system philosophy) we don't need good talent cuz the system doesn't need any.
Wouldn't suprise me if he's gone.

underrated29
01-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey, I have been saying it all offseason. Doom will be the first one out of here. I also think we keep brandon.

As said before doom sucks balls against the run. But he is a big time pimp against the pass rush. However, he has maxed out his value right now. I can almost promise he will never see more than 15 sacks again. Lets also keep in mind that doom got like 7 of his 17 sacks against the horrible faiders OL and the Chefs...?...

I like him a lot, but he is way overrated. Lets let him go for a 1st and a 3rd. Remeber doom on our system is no longer a DE. He is a OLB/de. We can/should easily be able to find a good one of those in the early middle rounds.

In addition to that, if we lose doom for a 1,3. It is quite possible that we will trade back in the first with that pick or ours for a couple 2nd rdrs. Now, that 4th round 17 sack master, has turned into players like-pouncey and demarius thomas, plus the 3rd.

I do not want to see him go, but I kinda think if we can get a 1/3 for him that its almost a must do. It actually is a must do.

Medford Bronco
01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Now this would be DUMB. he had an awesome year. I hope he stays here for his whole career if he shows the effort and skill he showed this year.

turftoad
01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey, I have been saying it all offseason. Doom will be the first one out of here. I also think we keep brandon.

As said before doom sucks balls against the run. But he is a big time pimp against the pass rush. However, he has maxed out his value right now. I can almost promise he will never see more than 15 sacks again. Lets also keep in mind that doom got like 7 of his 17 sacks against the horrible faiders OL and the Chefs...?...

I like him a lot, but he is way overrated. Lets let him go for a 1st and a 3rd. Remeber doom on our system is no longer a DE. He is a OLB/de. We can/should easily be able to find a good one of those in the early middle rounds.

In addition to that, if we lose doom for a 1,3. It is quite possible that we will trade back in the first with that pick or ours for a couple 2nd rdrs. Now, that 4th round 17 sack master, has turned into players like-pouncey and demarius thomas, plus the 3rd.

I do not want to see him go, but I kinda think if we can get a 1/3 for him that its almost a must do. It actually is a must do.

He improved a bunch vs the run from his first two years and will only get better.

Medford Bronco
01-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Elvis will be on a lot of teams radar.

With McD's (system philosophy) we don't need good talent cuz the system doesn't need any.
Wouldn't suprise me if he's gone.

Remember its all about "value":lol::tsk:

just ask Pats fans about that. its not 2004 anymore its 2010
The cap has skyrocketed and not coming down any time soon after 2010 IMHO

TXBRONC
01-25-2010, 12:17 PM

A must do? I don't agree at all. I think it would be very unwise of McDaniels to assume he could find a replacement that easy. Besides that, he drafted Ayers to do that very thing. If we get bigger defensive linemen that can take up blockers maybe his tackles go up.

I also don't understand why you're being critical of Dumervil getting sacks against division foes. He had total of 9 sacks against division foes this year when you include the Chargers in the mix. He also had two sacks against the Cowboys and I think two against the Patriots.

weazel
01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
lol, Nolans no idiot. Doom would be a huge loss for us.

I agr.... damn Northman! That chick in your avy is hot as hell...

CoachChaz
01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I think if we had someone in the fold that could take his place as a pass rusher, we could live without him. Can Ayers replace his productivity? Who knows. but if we had a guy that could replicate even just 12 sacks, then I'd be all for tendering Doom high and getting as much as possible for him.

Someone said it earlier...Doom will likely never see 15 sacks again...let alone 17, and he did have a bunch of multi-sack games while disappearing in many others.

This is probably the MOST talented draft as far as early rounds go than we've seen in quite some time. Having multiple picks in those early rounds would be a great step towards our future.

dogfish
01-25-2010, 12:31 PM

homeboy, do you usually start drinkin' before noon?

man after my own heart. . . . :drinking:

T.K.O.
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
the worst part of all this is ,if you do get draft picks for these guys ,without a rookie pay scale its almost impossible to rebuild a team with the high draft picks you get for them.
the contracts have gotten so huge that signing 3-4 top prospects requires you to mortgage the teams future,in the hopes that they pan out in the pro's.
in doom's case i dont think it is worth the risk...marshall is another story at this point

CoachChaz
01-25-2010, 12:46 PM
the worst part of all this is ,if you do get draft picks for these guys ,without a rookie pay scale its almost impossible to rebuild a team with the high draft picks you get for them.
the contracts have gotten so huge that signing 3-4 top prospects requires you to mortgage the teams future,in the hopes that they pan out in the pro's.
in doom's case i dont think it is worth the risk...marshall is another story at this point

That's why you trade a first this year for a 1st and 3rd next year

underrated29
01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
A must do? I don't agree at all. I think it would be very unwise of McDaniels to assume he could find a replacement that easy. Besides that, he drafted Ayers to do that very thing. If we get bigger defensive linemen that can take up blockers maybe his tackles go up.

I also don't understand why you're being critical of Dumervil getting sacks against division foes. He had total of 9 sacks against division foes this year when you include the Chargers in the mix. He also had two sacks against the Cowboys and I think two against the Patriots.

Well I look at it like this.

An elite OLB/DE taken in the first round should be someone like a Mario Williams, a Shawn merriman (no roids though), canty, demarcus ware, etc etc.

These guys IMO, can Rush the passer and Stop the Run. IMO thats what a # selection at DE/OLB should do. Of course the Jarvis mosses of the world show otherwise, but we have to give faith in JMFmcd drafting. (which really hasnt given a whole lot for but still)

So by tendering doom for a 1/3- We get another player equal to his skills in rushing the passer, but also someone who is solid against the run. IE- that de Jan Pual deimeere or whatever his name is. Then we still have our #1 pick, or the #1 which we got from doom. With this we can trade back and get a couple early 2nds or so. So the end result would look something like:

Keep doom and have a 1st pick stud, 2nd solid player, 3rd etc.

Lose Doom and get 1st stud DE, guys like pouncey, and thomas (who both could be worth 1sts, and a solid olb in the second to replace him, still then have our 3rd etc.

I dont want to lose doom, but I think he wants to get paid more than we are willing to go for and the fact that we can turn him into all the above leads me to thinking that this would be a good scenario for us. (if we can get a 1 and 3)

My point about him getting most of his sacks against divisional guys is that, two of those teams have really pathetic OL and they wont be that way forever. Against good to great OL- he still has great production, but nothing that makes me think he cant be replaced.

Lonestar
01-25-2010, 03:45 PM
The SKY IS FALLING the SKY is FALLING.

I have not read but a few posts before I have to say this, if someone else has sorry to repeat it.

Wow so much panic about a guy that is pretty damned good a pass rushing but that is about all SO FAR.

EVEN if we tender him the highest tender as a RFA. That only increases this years salary by 50%.

IF someone is dumb enough to sigb him to an offer sheet and give up their 1st and 3rd. We can still match it.

Calm down folks the end of the world is not here yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

broncohead
01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
If we shy away from the aggressive 3-4 then I think it would be best for the team if we got compensation from him. Yes it would suck losing one of the top pass rushers in the game but tbh thats all he is right now.