PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Staff Filling Out

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2010, 08:53 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9799

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos on Saturday announced several changes to their coaching staff, including the hiring of Bob Ligashesky as tight ends coach and Eric Studesville as running backs coach.

The club also moved Clancy Barone to offensive line coach and named Bob Wylie assistant offensive line coach. Ben McDaniels was promoted to quarterbacks coach, a position previously held by Mike McCoy, who will continue to serve as offensive coordinator.

Ligashesky spent the previous six years coaching special teams in the NFL with Pittsburgh (2007-09), St. Louis (2005-06) and Jacksonville (2004). He spent 19 years coaching at the collegiate level, including four years at the University of Pittsburgh (2000-03) as its tight ends coach and special teams coordinator. He oversaw the development of tight end Kris Wilson at Pittsburgh, helping him finish his senior year as a finalist for the John Mackey Award (nation’s best tight end) before he was selected by Kansas City in the second round of the 2004 NFL Draft. A three-year letterwinner at defensive back at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Ligashesky was born on June 2, 1962, in Pittsburgh.

Studesville spent the last nine seasons coaching running backs in the NFL with Buffalo (2004-09) and the New York Giants (2001-03). He owns 13 years of experience coaching in the league, having also coached with the Bears (1997-2000) following six seasons working at the collegiate level. Studesville, who had additional responsibilities as the Bills’ running game coordinator during the last two years, has helped four players total seven 1,000-yard rushing seasons while overseeing 32 individual 100-yard rushing efforts in the NFL. A defensive back at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Studesville was born on May 29, 1967, in Madison, Wis.

Barone spent the 2009 season as Denver’s tight ends coach after coaching that position for San Diego (2007-08) and Atlanta (2005-06). In his eighth season working in the NFL, Barone has worked as an offensive line coach for 17 years, instructing that position as an assistant with Atlanta in 2004 and spending 16 of his 17 years at the collegiate level coaching the offensive line. An offensive lineman at the University of Nevada and Sacramento State University, Barone was born on July 26, 1963, in San Andreas, Calif.

Wylie, a 14-year NFL coaching veteran, has 30 overall years of coaching experience and spent the last three seasons coaching in the Canadian Football League as the offensive line coach for Saskatchewan (2009) and Winnipeg (2007-08). He started his NFL coaching career as the tight ends coach for the New York Jets from 1990-91 and has worked with Tampa Bay (offensive line, 1992-95), Cincinnati (tight ends, 1997-98), Chicago (1999-2003) and Arizona (2004). He also owns 13 seasons of coaching experience at the collegiate level, including stints as offensive line coach for Colorado State University from 1988-89. A linebacker at the University of Colorado for three years before transferring to Roger Williams College, Wylie was born on Feb. 16, 1951, in West Warwick, R.I.

McDaniels served as a coaching assistant for Denver in 2009 and owns seven years of coaching experience at the high school, collegiate and NFL levels. He was a high school coach in Ohio for four years and also at the University of Minnesota, where he was a graduate assistant, before assisting with the Broncos’ offense in his initial NFL season. A former quarterback, McDaniels led Canton McKinley High School (Canton, Ohio) to a 37-3 record and two state championships during his three years as a starter before competing at Kent State University. He was born on June 6, 1980, in Barberton, Ohio.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2010, 09:17 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/23/broncos-busy-filling-out-coaching-staff/

The Broncos have solidified their offensive coaching staff for 2010, according to a team source.

The Broncos hired Clarence Barone to coach the offensive line, and Bob Wylie is the assistant O-line coach. Bob Ligashesky is the tight ends coach, Eric Studesville is the running backs coach, and Ben McDaniels will coach the team’s quarterbacks. Mike McCoy, who also coached the QBs in 2009, remains the offensive coordinator.

Barone was on staff in 2009 and moved from tutoring tight ends to the O-line, where he previously coached with the Falcons. Ben McDaniels, younger brother of head coach Josh McDaniels, was on Denver’s staff in 2009 as an offensive assistant.

The Broncos are still looking for a defensive coordinator, and former Patriots assistant Dean Pees is an early favorite. But Pees, who was with Josh McDaniels in New England, has other options. If the Broncos end up promoting from within — which wasn’t their original expectation — linebackers coach Don Martindale is a favorite.

Also, contrary to a published report, McDaniels and former defensive coordinator Mike Nolan — now with the Dolphins — didn’t clash over how much the team should be blitzing, and the Broncos have no trepidation about continuing to run an aggressive scheme.

UPDATE: The Broncos confirmed these coaching hires and moves later Saturday.

dogfish
01-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Ben McDaniels was promoted to quarterbacks coach, a position previously held by Mike McCoy, who will continue to serve as offensive coordinator.

you knew they'd find somethin' for the little fella. . .

ah well, it'll free up more time for mccoy to make sure josh's coffee is juuuuust right!

:elefant:

T.K.O.
01-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Broncos busy filling out coaching staff
Posted: January 23rd, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Denver Broncos, Josh McDaniels

The Broncos have solidified their offensive coaching staff for 2010, according to a team source.

The Broncos hired Clarence Barone to coach the offensive line, and Bob Wylie is the assistant O-line coach. Bob Ligashesky is the tight ends coach, Eric Studesville is the running backs coach, and Ben McDaniels will coach the team’s quarterbacks. Mike McCoy, who also coached the QBs in 2009, remains the offensive coordinator.

Barone was on staff in 2009 and moved from tutoring tight ends to the O-line, where he previously coached with the Falcons. Ben McDaniels, younger brother of head coach Josh McDaniels, was on Denver’s staff in 2009 as an offensive assistant.

The Broncos are still looking for a defensive coordinator, and former Patriots assistant Dean Pees is an early favorite. But Pees, who was with Josh McDaniels in New England, has other options. If the Broncos end up promoting from within — which wasn’t their original expectation — linebackers coach Don Martindale is a favorite.

Also, contrary to a published report, McDaniels and former defensive coordinator Mike Nolan — now with the Dolphins — didn’t clash over how much the team should be blitzing, and the Broncos have no trepidation about continuing to run an aggressive scheme.
UPDATE: The Broncos confirmed these coaching hires and moves later Saturday.

getlynched47
01-23-2010, 10:07 PM
A special-teams coordinator (one of the worst in the NFL) now is our Tight Ends coach???

Sounds like a plan to win :coffee:

Here's a little background information on our new Tight Ends coach. Ligashensky was the Pittsburgh Steelers special teams coordinator, the same special teams unit that has been one of the worst in the NFL since he became the Special Teams coordinator.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/11/25/1173200/just-how-bad-has-the-pittsburgh

Why the hell would a horrible special teams coordinator make a good tight ends coach??? I'm lost :confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Why the hell would a horrible special teams coordinator make a good tight ends coach??? I'm lost :confused:

From article - maybe this is why

He spent 19 years coaching at the collegiate level, including four years at the University of Pittsburgh (2000-03) as its tight ends coach and special teams coordinator. He oversaw the development of tight end Kris Wilson at Pittsburgh, helping him finish his senior year as a finalist for the John Mackey Award (nation’s best tight end) before he was selected by Kansas City in the second round of the 2004 NFL Draft

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2010, 11:20 PM
http://twitter.com/VicLombardi

what is McCoy's role?...McCoy remains the OC. And I personally will play a larger role in the playcalling.

shank
01-23-2010, 11:22 PM
http://twitter.com/VicLombardi

what is McCoy's role?...McCoy remains the OC. And I personally will play a larger role in the playcalling.

i don't get it.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
i don't get it.

I wonder if Vic meant - "and he personally will play a larger role in the playcalling"?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-23-2010, 11:40 PM
This team ought to be much better coached than the late 2009 Broncos were. Now, about that talent, can we start free agency and the draft while the big boys are distracted with post season play?

Lonestar
01-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Broncos add former Steelers coach, others to staff
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
POSTED: 01/23/2010 06:11:00 PM MST
UPDATED: 01/23/2010 06:19:31 PM MST

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels (Denver Post file photo)
The Denver Broncos added more Super Bowl pedigree to their coaching staff with the hiring of Bob Ligashesky, who served the past three seasons as special-teams coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ligashesky, 46, will be the new tight-ends coach on a Broncos staff headed by Josh McDaniels.

Ben McDaniels, Josh's younger brother, will become the quarterbacks coach, a move that allows Mike McCoy to devote all his time to his offensive-coordinator duties.

The tight-ends job became available when offensive-line coach Rick Dennison left to become the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator and after McDaniels moved Clancy Barone to offensive-line coach.

Barone, an NFL veteran coach and longtime offensive-line coach in college, and newly hired offensive-line assistant Boby Wylie will help the Broncos move away from their zone-blocking system. No zone-blocking run team has reached the Super Bowl, much less won it, since the 1998 Broncos led by Terrell Davis and John Elway.

The Broncos also formally hired Eric Studesville to replace Bobby Turner as their running-backs coach. Studesville had coached running backs previously with the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills.

The team is also negotiating a new contract for special-teams assistant Keith Burns. McDaniels is not yet ready to announce his new defensive coordinator to replace Mike Nolan, who left to take a similar position with the Miami Dolphins. Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale is a candidate.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14255283#ixzz0dVAp1Vo3

rationalfan
01-24-2010, 12:57 AM
No zone-blocking run team has reached the Super Bowl, much less won it, since the 1998 Broncos led by Terrell Davis and John Elway.

interesting. i had never even considered that. not sure if that means the system has flaws or if davis was just special. probably both.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-24-2010, 01:04 AM
No zone-blocking run team has reached the Super Bowl, much less won it, since the 1998 Broncos led by Terrell Davis and John Elway.

interesting. i had never even considered that. not sure if that means the system has flaws or if davis was just special. probably both.

I'm going with both, mark Schlereth was talking about how Denver o lines always made Denver backs look good, but that Davis was the only Denver back who was truly incredible and special. He would know, he blocked for the guy.

Shazam!
01-24-2010, 01:35 AM
I'm going with both, mark Schlereth was talking about how Denver o lines always made Denver backs look good, but that Davis was the only Denver back who was truly incredible and special. He would know, he blocked for the guy.

This will always be a big debate for Broncos fans.

Was TD truly incredible and special, or was the OLine one of the best ever assembled and made him look so much better.

Lonestar
01-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Perhaps besides his shorten career the major reason he will most likely never see HOF status. Sad but true.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

getlynched47
01-24-2010, 02:53 PM
From article - maybe this is why

He spent 19 years coaching at the collegiate level, including four years at the University of Pittsburgh (2000-03) as its tight ends coach and special teams coordinator. He oversaw the development of tight end Kris Wilson at Pittsburgh, helping him finish his senior year as a finalist for the John Mackey Award (nation’s best tight end) before he was selected by Kansas City in the second round of the 2004 NFL Draft

Oh yes....Kris Wilson the best tight end to ever roam a football field.

I wonder how Kris Wilson worked out in KC :coffee:

Northman
01-24-2010, 02:58 PM
This will always be a big debate for Broncos fans.

Was TD truly incredible and special, or was the OLine one of the best ever assembled and made him look so much better.

No debate for me. TD was special no doubt about it.

e-Lou-sive1
01-25-2010, 10:10 AM
TD was what Elway and the Broncos needed to win the Superbowl which is what we can use now a power runningback who can look for holes created by downfield blockers not only by the O-line but by good blocking recievers.Knowshon can be that running back If he can get gaps opened for him to run through.Mc Daniels almost has his dream team put together and has hired his brother as a quarterback coach that should really help Orton since Ben McD has high school experience and they won a couple of state chamionships.Not to mention we hired the Steelers special teams coach as our tight end coach after the Steelers ranked at the bottom of the league in that area.Why aren't these coaches being pursed by other teams is it because no one wants them or is McD a true mastermind.I really want to be optimistic about this upcoming season but McD has given anyone the impression that he knows what he's doing.

arapaho2
01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
This team ought to be much better coached than the late 2009 Broncos were. Now, about that talent, can we start free agency and the draft while the big boys are distracted with post season play?

im kinda confused on where our coaching got better?

your gonna have to explain that to me
was it because now we have two mcdainials coaching the team..or because turners gone?

T.K.O.
01-25-2010, 12:19 PM
im kinda confused on where our coaching got better?

your gonna have to explain that to me
was it because now we have two mcdainials coaching the team..or because turners gone?

its a "MCDOUBLE".....:D

turftoad
01-25-2010, 12:21 PM
its a "MCDOUBLE".....:D

Yep, here you go bro................. here's a high paying gig for you. Don't forget to share some of it with mom and dad. we both need to make a bunch before they throw us outta here :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Yep, here you go bro................. here's a high paying gig for you. Don't forget to share some of it with mom and dad. we both need to make a bunch before they throw us outta here :tsk:

Guess the same could be said of HC - GM - total control - son OC

Also Rex Ryan

Ryan was a defensive line/linebackers coach for the Arizona Cardinals from 1994 to 1995, when his dad, Buddy, was head coach.

It happens all of the time

turftoad
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM

The person you are refering to had earned the right to do that. McD has not.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
It is quite clear to me that for some on here - even if Coach McD took the Broncos to a SB, and won it - some would STILL find something to be critical of him for :tsk:

CoachChaz
01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
The person you are refering to had earned the right to do that. McD has not.

Call me crazy, but once you are named the Head Coach of a team, you pretty much earned the right to run the team as you deem necessary. Where is this unwritten rule that says a coach cant do anything until he's proven something? I'm really curious where it came from.

arapaho2
01-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Also Rex Ryan

Ryan was a defensive line/linebackers coach for the Arizona Cardinals from 1994 to 1995, when his dad, Buddy, was head coach.

It happens all of the time

except rex had 6 years coaching in the college ranks and four years as DC in college before getting the chance with papa as Lb coach

little bro is going from high school to nfl coach ....but hey if you dont see the differances :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
It is quite clear to me that for some on here - even if Coach McD took the Broncos to a SB, and won it - some would STILL find something to be critical of him for :tsk:

Ok so what? Most people wouldn't. :coffee:

T.K.O.

i doubt it...then the same people would be behind him 100% bragging about how they "stuck by the team through thick and thin";)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
except rex had 6 years coaching in the college ranks and four years as DC in college before getting the chance with papa as Lb coach

little bro is going from high school to nfl coach ....but hey if you dont see the differances :rolleyes:

Ben has some college experience

He served as a graduate assistant under Glen Mason at Minnesota from 2004-05

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3850404

T.K.O.
01-25-2010, 01:43 PM
josh also knows his brother has an immense passion for the game and has been studying the game most of his life and would be on the same page with his philosophy.
besides if i ever landed a sweet gig like head coach ,i would want my brother to have a shot to prove himself to.
like most people would.

milehigh
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
McDaniels should be fired and we should hire Claymore because of his vast football knowledge.

Lonestar
01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Its not like Mc Coy and Josh are going put the brother/Orton/Simms/TB in a life boat and send them adrift.

Not like they will not attend some meetings with them norjust let the kid be on his own with them.

I suspect it is to lighten there load quite a bit. We alos saw Josh working with the QB's thoughout TC and practices. That will not end perhaps it will be a good thing having a buffer between Josh and the QB's much like mike was for John between him and reeves.

BTW how much exprience did mike have then I'm not really sure.

arapaho2
01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Ben has some college experience

He served as a graduate assistant under Glen Mason at Minnesota from 2004-05

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3850404

graduate assistant..in other words ......one lump or two

HORSEPOWER 56
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM

That's like saying if Obama wrote every American a $100 check, some Americans would still disagree with his politics...

Ummm, DUH?!

spikerman
01-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Carol, I sincerely hope we get a chance to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2010, 06:45 PM

I would not know - I do not know any person who has ever been a graduate assistant - but apparently you know what all it encompasses, or at least you feel you do :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM

http://www.helium.com/items/1181288-college-football-coach

Most of today's college coaches started out as a graduate assistant coach with a team. As a graduate assistant, you will be able to learn how much work goes into being a coach, while gaining valuable position coaching experience

NameUsedBefore
01-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Read as "filing out".

CoachChaz
01-26-2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.helium.com/items/1181288-college-football-coach

Most of today's college coaches started out as a graduate assistant coach with a team. As a graduate assistant, you will be able to learn how much work goes into being a coach, while gaining valuable position coaching experience

I could be mistaken, but I believe Andy Reid and Belichick are two NFL coaches that dont have much more than Graduate Assustant experience at the college level.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I seem to remember hearing that before and really dont care enough to investigate it right now

arapaho2
01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I could be mistaken, but I believe Andy Reid and Belichick are two NFL coaches that dont have much more than Graduate Assustant experience at the college level.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I seem to remember hearing that before and really dont care enough to investigate it right now

wrong reid spent nine seasons as oline coach for four differant colleges before the pros

CoachChaz
01-26-2010, 04:27 PM
wrong reid spent nine seasons as oline coach for four differant colleges before the pros

Like is said...

claymore
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Its not like Mc Coy and Josh are going put the brother/Orton/Simms/TB in a life boat and send them adrift.

Not like they will not attend some meetings with them norjust let the kid be on his own with them.

I suspect it is to lighten there load quite a bit. We alos saw Josh working with the QB's thoughout TC and practices. That will not end perhaps it will be a good thing having a buffer between Josh and the QB's much like mike was for John between him and reeves.

BTW how much exprience did mike have then I'm not really sure.

Josh doesnt need anymore distractions than he already has. He needs to be able to delegate to a real QB coach.

Your buffer idea is the only positive I can find in this. His Bro can tell him to get bent at anytime, like only a Bro can do.

arapaho2
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Like is said...

:rolleyes:

hers what you said: but I believe Andy Reid and Belichick are two NFL coaches that dont have much more than Graduate Assustant experience at the college level.

reid has nine years as the offensive line coach in college...a huge step up from " hey graduate assistant go zerox these play sheets and make sure the real coaches all get one" :laugh:

claymore
01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
McDaniels should be fired and we should hire Claymore because of his vast football knowledge.

I would make a better GM than a coach. I gurantee you I would do better with this team than JMCD.

Why??

Because I truly love it.

Rick
01-26-2010, 06:14 PM
:rolleyes:

hers what you said: but I believe Andy Reid and Belichick are two NFL coaches that dont have much more than Graduate Assustant experience at the college level.

reid has nine years as the offensive line coach in college...a huge step up from " hey graduate assistant go zerox these play sheets and make sure the real coaches all get one" :laugh:

Maybe he was wrong about Reid but it appears right about Belichick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belichick Could not find any mention of collegiate coaching experiance but rather started out as a 25 buck a week one lump or two guy for the colts.

CoachChaz
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
...and what I said is...

"I could be mistaken" and "If I'm wrong, I apologize"

But go ahead and be a smartass about it...hater

arapaho2
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
...and what I said is...

"I could be mistaken" and "If I'm wrong, I apologize"

But go ahead and be a smartass about it...hater

:listen:....correcting your incorrect posts..is not hating:tsk:

CoachChaz
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
:listen:....correcting your incorrect posts..is not hating:tsk:

You're hatred for the Broncos shows in all of your posts. Therefore...hater

arapaho2
01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
You're hatred for the Broncos shows in all of your posts. Therefore...hater

my hatred for the broncos???? what ******* rock did you crawl out from?...im one of the biggest die hard broncos fans around..always have been, never will sway

but because i dont like the fact we had a young and talented group on offense, built to score with a little more time together and a better rb

and watch it crumble before my eyes because we hired a egotistical, head case whos game calling was for lack of a better word...hideous..then see us have a two time probowl wr...walk away because of him..then have to draft another wr when we should be building a line...

just because i dont like watching a decent offense plummet to downright aweful in one season under the boy...dont make me a bronco hater

:aetsch: