PDA

View Full Version : Can we get McFadden?

TimBuff10
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Well now with the Falcons getting Turner, that takes away one more team ahead of us in the market for a top RB and there is talk about him slipping some in the draft for various reasons. It seems the free agency signings may be changing how the draft may go. I feel like the Raiders will probably take him but it would be nice to see him slip to us. I wouldn't even mind seeing us trade a up a couple spots to get him if he starts slipping.

Bronco9798
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
He's not slipping to 12. He's a glamor pick, but we need a LT and we'll be fine and effective with Henry and Young.

JONtheBRONCO
03-03-2008, 11:15 AM
If we drafted McFadden, 2 of our running backs would have 13 kids between them. Just saying.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
We already have a good back that likes to run to the outside.... Selvin Young is his name... you've might of heard of him. We need a back that can pound it between the tackles. Hopefully we look for this guy in the later rounds.

lex
03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Well now with the Falcons getting Turner, that takes away one more team ahead of us in the market for a top RB and there is talk about him slipping some in the draft for various reasons. It seems the free agency signings may be changing how the draft may go. I feel like the Raiders will probably take him but it would be nice to see him slip to us. I wouldn't even mind seeing us trade a up a couple spots to get him if he starts slipping.

I like where your head is at. If McFadden was attainable to us, I wouldnt complain for one second if we got him.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
I hope he falls to us. It'll make it that much easier to trade down and stockpile picks. We could then take a LT and a RB, among other positions.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I hope he falls to us. It'll make it that much easier to trade down and stockpile picks. We could then take a LT and a RB, among other positions.

Yeah, Dallas might be willing to trade up to 12 to take him and he would be a great addition with Barber.

TimBuff10
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
He's not slipping to 12. He's a glamor pick, but we need a LT and we'll be fine and effective with Henry and Young.

That is what worries me... Picking the best left tackle can turn into a reach when no one else would have picked that particular guy till the next round. I think part of the Bronco's draft problems have been with that philisophy.

Instead of drafting for need, we need to use the first couple of picks on the best player avialable that isn't a QB or TE or maybe CB. After the first few picks when the talent starts to level off, then yeah, fill your needs.

I am unconvinced that Henry can help us more than he can hurt us right now, after last season's off the field problems, injuries, and then fumbling the season away at Oakland I hope he changes my mind. As for Young, well he has had his off the field problems too and isn't a full time 16 game back. I mean Mike/Tatum Bell looked good for a few games too.

In the end you are probably right about McFadden not slipping as far as 12 though.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
That is what worries me... Picking the best left tackle can turn into a reach when no one else would have picked that particular guy till the next round.

There are about 5 guys that could get drafted in RD1 to play LT. We won't be reaching on a LT.

Dreadnought
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Please God no. Offensive line, LB, SS, DT, any of those are fine w/ me.

underrated29
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
no he wont make it that far, and if he gets close some team will trade into the top 10 te get him. HE DOES NOT MAKE IT PASSED 10!!!!

And we hopefully will not trade up to get him either. I wouldnt mind him, but only if he fell, and i prefer jstew better any how.

lex
03-03-2008, 11:40 AM
There are about 5 guys that could get drafted in RD1 to play LT. We won't be reaching on a LT.

Yeah, but the sticking point with LT is if Shanahan wants to give Harris a shot at LT. I actually wouldnt mind McFadden and then Cherilus or Nicks. That scenario also helps us at T and RB.

MOtorboat
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
He can't run if he doesn't have an offensive line...

Scarface
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, but the sticking point with LT is if Shanahan wants to give Harris a shot at LT. I actually wouldnt mind McFadden and then Cherilus or Nicks. That scenario also helps us at T and RB.

And I'm all for giving him a shot too. He can compete in camp against Williams or Clady or Albert and the best man wins LT. Loser gets RT. Then we take Forte later in the draft. This scenario helps LT, RT, RB, and the overall efficiency of the offense.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't want McFadden, because I don't like his inside the tackle running skills, but why is everyone keep saying he can't run if we don't have an offensive line? You do realize that we have 8 draft picks this year? Correct? You are talking about the #12 over all pick, which happens to be one of the higest picks Denver has held in a long time. This years Offensive tackle group may be deep but as far as superior talented guys, there are none. You are much better off getting someone of high value in the 1st round and taking a OT in the 2nd round. The offensive tackles in the 2nd round are pretty much the same as far as talent and size goes. Why would you select any of these guys at 12, just because it is a position of need?

I think OT at #12 is a huge reach. Trade back if you can and pick one in the later 1st round if you must go that route. If not take a pick with tremendous upside and value. Not many receivers in this draft like Malcom Kelly. Not many backs like Stewart and Mendenhall. Not many DT like Ellis and Dorsey. Not many safetys like Kenny Phillips and Reggie Smith.

HolyDiver
03-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Personally, I hope we draft a Quarterback and Cornerbacks................

HolyDiver
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah, Dallas might be willing to trade up to 12 to take him and he would be a great addition with Barber.

And they have two #1's...............Might make for a nice trade.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
the only way i see us drafting mcfadden is if we have a trade in place for cowboys 2 #1s

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Personally, I hope we draft a Quarterback and Cornerbacks................

please god just not woodson.

HolyDiver
03-03-2008, 12:21 PM
please god just not woodson.

I think we should draft Matt Ryan.

MOtorboat
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
the only way i see us drafting mcfadden is if we have a trade in place for cowboys 2 #1s

:confused:

Wouldn't that mean that we were moving back in the draft?

Tned
03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
We already have a good back that likes to run to the outside.... Selvin Young is his name... you've might of heard of him. We need a back that can pound it between the tackles. Hopefully we look for this guy in the later rounds.

The last two years, there have only been about 1/3 of the Razorback games (or less) televised, so I haven't seen him in every game, but McFadden routinely ran offtack or up the middle, not just around the end. Not having stats in front of me, just going on what I remember, i would guess that well more than half his runs were between the tackles.

When running out of the Wildcat/Wildhawg formation where he would line up as QB in shotgun, the play was typically either a handoff on a sweep outside, or a fake handoff and mcfadden running up the middle. On top of that, a great deal of his runs with him lined up as an RB were between the tackles.

lex
03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
The last two years, there have only been about 1/3 of the Razorback games (or less) televised, so I haven't seen him in every game, but McFadden routinely ran offtack or up the middle, not just around the end. Not having stats in front of me, just going on what I remember, i would guess that well more than half his runs were between the tackles.

When running out of the Wildcat/Wildhawg formation where he would line up as QB in shotgun, the play was typically either a handoff on a sweep outside, or a fake handoff and mcfadden running up the middle. On top of that, a great deal of his runs with him lined up as an RB were between the tackles.

His long run against Auburn in 2006 as well as his long run against LSU in the same year (i believe) were both up the middle. Plus against Tennessee he had a nice run where he darted through the middle and scored a TD in 2006.

shank
03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
His long run against Auburn in 2006 as well as his long run against LSU in the same year (i believe) were both up the middle. Plus against Tennessee he had a nice run where he darted through the middle and scored a TD in 2006.

just because you are running up the middle and getting long runs doesn't mean you can run up the middle

as mayock puts it, mcfaddens legs go dead on contact. he doesn't carry guys for extra yards or push piles. this has been missing from our running game since portis left and has caused us problems.

if mcfadden is there at 12, i will not for a second jump for joy until the trade is announced.

Brand
03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Just say no. Stick with the plan. I see Wiliams or Clady in one, Bryant in two.....

Absent any trades.......

xzn
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
If we are going OT, I agree that we shold trade down.

Our 12 equals 16 in the first AND 14 in the third!

lex
03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Just say no. Stick with the plan. I see Wiliams or Clady in one, Bryant in two.....

Absent any trades.......

If you think thats the plan then maybe you should revisit the end of season presser. None of us truly know what the plan is though.

Tned
03-03-2008, 11:29 PM
If you think thats the plan then maybe you should revisit the end of season presser. None of us truly know what the plan is though.

Yep, hard to say, but Shanny at least 'acted' very pleased with his O-line situation, specifically LT position.

lex
03-03-2008, 11:29 PM
just because you are running up the middle and getting long runs doesn't mean you can run up the middle

as mayock puts it, mcfaddens legs go dead on contact. he doesn't carry guys for extra yards or push piles. this has been missing from our running game since portis left and has caused us problems.

if mcfadden is there at 12, i will not for a second jump for joy until the trade is announced.

Explosive plays would also be nice. We havent had a lot of that either from a durable running back.

shank
03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Explosive plays would also be nice. We havent had a lot of that either from a durable running back.

oh, i'm not denying this. our lack of power and our lack of explosiveness have plagued us lately. that's why either mendenhall (explosive) or stewart (power) would both fit in very well here, as henry and young don't possess enough of either to either push the chains or break huge runs (although selvin has broken a few).

if mcfadden drops, it's a blessing, and i still say that there's no way in satan's gymnasium (?) that i would take mcfadden if there is an offer for us to trade down. and if mcfadden, mendenhall, and stewart somehow are all there at 12, and i have to take one of them, it's not going to be mcfadden.

Nature Boy
03-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Why would we want McFadden even if we can get him? He had great numbers in college cause he had a superb Offensive line. The guy's got tooth picks for legs.

If I was looking for a speed runner, I'll get Jamaal Charles of Texas. Charles has had fumble problems and not a great pass catcher but I think both of those can be coach in.

Charles is at 200lbs right now, he can put at least 15 more pounds onto his frame without losing speed and then he'll be able to go between the tackles. Jamaal Charles can be had in the mid 2nd round I think.

McFadden will be an NFL bust.

lex
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
oh, i'm not denying this. our lack of power and our lack of explosiveness have plagued us lately. that's why either mendenhall (explosive) or stewart (power) would both fit in very well here, as henry and young don't possess enough of either to either push the chains or break huge runs (although selvin has broken a few).

if mcfadden drops, it's a blessing, and i still say that there's no way in satan's gymnasium (?) that i would take mcfadden if there is an offer for us to trade down. and if mcfadden, mendenhall, and stewart somehow are all there at 12, and i have to take one of them, it's not going to be mcfadden.

McFadden is a one cut runner with rare explosiveness. He actually does ok running inside. And actually, if you revisit what Mayock said, he criticized McFadden for going down too easily but he also criticized Stewart for exposing himself to the big shot. This should tell you that Mayock is splitting hairs and/or selecting isolated occasions when this happens. The difference between McFadden and Stewart is that when Stewart does what he does best, pushing the pile usually means a couple more yards. When McFadden does what he does best, your looking at a lot more yards. Deion said it best. You often hear about how a guy was one step away from turning it into the big one. The speed difference between McFadden and Stewart is substantial enough that McFadden is going to give you that step that Stewart wont. And McFadden actually can run inside. He has a lethal stiff arm that he wields that he uses to spring him for more yardage. Stewart is a good RB, but Id take what McFadden any day of the week but more importantly on Sunday.

Nature Boy
03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
I think McFadden is not even in the top 10 list of best backs in this year's draft. Yep, I said it.

lex
03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
I think McFadden is not even in the top 10 list of best backs in this year's draft. Yep, I said it.

Wow. You're so provocative.

broncosfanscott
03-04-2008, 01:04 AM

That is my frame of mind. Since we are trying to build through the draft getting more picks is what we need. Don't get me wrong, McFadden is going to help improve whoever he plays for, however an improvement on the O-line to help Cutler will go a long way in improving our running.

WARHORSE
03-04-2008, 01:48 AM
McFadden is a one cut runner with rare explosiveness. He actually does ok running inside. And actually, if you revisit what Mayock said, he criticized McFadden for going down too easily but he also criticized Stewart for exposing himself to the big shot. This should tell you that Mayock is splitting hairs and/or selecting isolated occasions when this happens. The difference between McFadden and Stewart is that when Stewart does what he does best, pushing the pile usually means a couple more yards. When McFadden does what he does best, your looking at a lot more yards. Deion said it best. You often hear about how a guy was one step away from turning it into the big one. The speed difference between McFadden and Stewart is substantial enough that McFadden is going to give you that step that Stewart wont. And McFadden actually can run inside. He has a lethal stiff arm that he wields that he uses to spring him for more yardage. Stewart is a good RB, but Id take what McFadden any day of the week but more importantly on Sunday.

No, he actually said he didnt like the fact that McFaddens legs go dead on contact.

And its true.

McFadden loves the Broncos, hes a fan. But if we draft him, Im gonna puke. Let him be a fan of the Broncos while running for the Faders.:tsk:

shank
03-04-2008, 03:20 AM
No, he actually said he didnt like the fact that McFaddens legs go dead on contact.

And its true.

McFadden loves the Broncos, hes a fan. But if we draft him, Im gonna puke. Let him be a fan of the Broncos while running for the Faders.:tsk:

i'm not saying i dislike him enough that i want to play against him 2 times a year...

but for the questions surrounding his game, and more importantly the questions surrounding him as a person, especially with how a new bronco is arrested every 3rd day, i do not want him on our team.

i wish i wish dmac drops so we can trade back.

Timmy!
03-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Ummm....no.

Stargazer
03-04-2008, 04:04 AM
If McFadden is there at #12, I hope Denver selects him.

PatricktheDookie
03-04-2008, 04:27 AM
And if Dorsey is there at 12, I hope we select him. Or Chris Long, etc, etc.

Honestly, I can see McFadden dropping to the Raiders, but no farther than that. In the event he somehow falls out of the top 5, I'd imagine the Cowboys trade up for him. Additionally, the Jets and Bengals could each use McFadden.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-04-2008, 05:38 AM
:confused:

Wouldn't that mean that we were moving back in the draft?

yeah and draft phillips and connor or rivers

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-04-2008, 05:44 AM
And if Dorsey is there at 12, I hope we select him. Or Chris Long, etc, etc.

Honestly, I can see McFadden dropping to the Raiders, but no farther than that. In the event he somehow falls out of the top 5, I'd imagine the Cowboys trade up for him. Additionally, the Jets and Bengals could each use McFadden.

but the faiders just resigned fargas...........plus they dont like to draft players that can help them.

TXBRONC
03-04-2008, 08:13 AM

I doubt he drops out of the top ten.

CoachChaz
03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
No matter how you look at it, Cutler is the main focus of this team and protecting him is the most important thing we can do right now. If he goes down, we'd better have a stout defense...because the offesne will not run.

I disagree in trading down and picking up one of the top 5 linemen. I think it can be assumed that Long, Clady, Otah and Williams will go in the top 15 to 20. That leaves us with a choice of Collins, Baker, Nicks, etc. Not that these are bad players, but are they the potentially elite LT's we need?

Retired_Member_001
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
If we are going to draft a running back in the first it has to be Jonathan Stewart or bust.

McFadden will be a bust. He's fumble prone and can't muscle through anyone. Sound like anyone you know? (Reggie Bust). Mendenhall will turn out to be good, but not as good as J-Stew.

I reckon our #12 pick wll be perfect to pick up Jonathan Stewart. We can then pick up a OT in the 2nd round.

lex
03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
If we are going to draft a running back in the first it has to be Jonathan Stewart or bust.

McFadden will be a bust. He's fumble prone and can't muscle through anyone. Sound like anyone you know? (Reggie Bust). Mendenhall will turn out to be good, but not as good as J-Stew.

I reckon our #12 pick wll be perfect to pick up Jonathan Stewart. We can then pick up a OT in the 2nd round.

I dont really think he's like Reggie Bush at all. He may not always get optimum leg drive but he can get the yardage thats there...he's just not going to burrow for that extra yard. But McFadden also has a lethal stiff arm that Reggie Bush does not have. If you can do what McFadden did in the SEC with the passing game that Arkansas has had, that says something and McFadden actually does run up the middle a lot.

I actually think he'll be like Peterson in that he'll be better in the pros than he was in college. People keep saying "well Minnesota has a better offensive line" which is certainly true but Denver has a better passing game than Minnesota that puts the defense in a position where they have to load up in the box at the risk of getting burnt in the air.

Retired_Member_001
03-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I dont really think he's like Reggie Bush at all. He may not always get optimum leg drive but he can get the yardage thats there...he's just not going to burrow for that extra yard. But McFadden also has a lethal stiff arm that Reggie Bush does not have. If you can do what McFadden did in the SEC with the passing game that Arkansas has had, that says something and McFadden actually does run up the middle a lot.

I actually think he'll be like Peterson in that he'll be better in the pros than he was in college. People keep saying "well Minnesota has a better offensive line" which is certainly true but Denver has a better passing game than Minnesota that puts the defense in a position where they have to load up in the box at the risk of getting burnt in the air.

I'm sorry but I just don't think he's got the strength. Ok he's got a deadly stiff arm but apart from that how many extra yards will he get after being tackled?

In my opinion when you are looking for a running back it's an all round back over a speed back every day of the week. There are alot of backs in the league labelled "speed" backs but they can still muscle through tackles if need be. I don't think McFadden will be able to do that in the NFL. Just my honest opinion.

lex
03-04-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry but I just don't think he's got the strength. Ok he's got a deadly stiff arm but apart from that how many extra yards will he get after being tackled?

In my opinion when you are looking for a running back it's an all round back over a speed back every day of the week. There are alot of backs in the league labelled "speed" backs but they can still muscle through tackles if need be. I don't think McFadden will be able to do that in the NFL. Just my honest opinion.

At 3:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnJxcQh_I6o

2:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ja1qKugt0&feature=related

These arent Earl Campbell like but they clearly show he can and sometimes does drive his legs through contact and is able to lower a shoulder.

Like I said earlier. The reason youre championing Stewart is also one of Mayocks criticisms of him, which is that Stewart exposes himself to the big shot too often because he fights for yardage. All in all, Id rather have someone who isnt taking all those shots.

Stargazer
03-05-2008, 04:15 AM
There sure is a lot of hate for a gifted RB.

HolyDiver
03-05-2008, 12:51 PM

Gifted..................Reggie Bush is gifted, but that doesn't mean he's a good fit for the Broncos.

BOSSHOGG30
03-05-2008, 12:53 PM

We are tired of bad character players... If we must go with a gifted Rb... give us Mendenhall or Stewart.

Retired_Member_001
03-05-2008, 04:50 PM
At 3:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnJxcQh_I6o

2:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ja1qKugt0&feature=related

These arent Earl Campbell like but they clearly show he can and sometimes does drive his legs through contact and is able to lower a shoulder.

Like I said earlier. The reason youre championing Stewart is also one of Mayocks criticisms of him, which is that Stewart exposes himself to the big shot too often because he fights for yardage. All in all, Id rather have someone who isnt taking all those shots.

So you managed to find a couple of videos of McFadden using a little bit of muscle. I could also find videos of Ryan Leaf throwing accurate passes (I'm not in any way comparing McFadden to Ryan Leaf).

I'm not that big on McFadden. There's no denying he's fumble prone and doesn't have the muscle. I'm not championing Stewart because he exposes himself to shots, I'm championing him because he's simply a better back. It's something the guy will work on. Adrian Peterson had the same problem.

lex
03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
So you managed to find a couple of videos of McFadden using a little bit of muscle. I could also find videos of Ryan Leaf throwing accurate passes (I'm not in any way comparing McFadden to Ryan Leaf).

I'm not that big on McFadden. There's no denying he's fumble prone and doesn't have the muscle. I'm not championing Stewart because he exposes himself to shots, I'm championing him because he's simply a better back. It's something the guy will work on. Adrian Peterson had the same problem.

Look at the level of production. Look at the fact that Stewart, in spite of having more help, still wasnt as productive. And with that kind of a speed discrepancy, youve got to consider long runs left on the table with Stewart. If you check out those videos at least 3 of McFaddens longest runs were inside the tackles...plus he can lower his shoulder...and again, those explosive plays where the speed discrepancy comes into play are too much to ignore. And you can actually teach what you claim McFadden is lacking more than you can teach what Stewart is lacking relative to McFadden.

Lonestar
03-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Most hotshots playing in college do not translated that greatness to the PROs

We need mcfadden like he needs a couple more illegitimate ******* kids..

I'll pass on fluff until we get the OLINE fixed..

Nature Boy
03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Let it go Lex. McFadden is and will be a bust in the NFL.

TXBRONC
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM

I disagree Wookiee. The things you are being critical about are correctable. What I'm reading is that you don't think McFadden finishes his runs and that he's prone to fumbling. You can teach back to hold onto the ball and finish runs.

TXBRONC
03-05-2008, 09:26 PM

I'll pass on fluff until we get the OLINE fixed..

Then why are you complaining that we need top tier offensive and defensive linemen since most hotshots in college do not translate to greatness in the pros. Good grief Jr that's true any player any postion.

MOtorboat
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Then why are you complaining that we need top tier offensive and defensive linemen since most hotshots in college do not translate to greatness in the pros. Good grief Jr that's true any player any postion.

RBs...yes...OTs...no...

I've documented it...OT is one of the most sure bets in the first round.

TXBRONC
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
RBs...yes...OTs...no...

I've documented it...OT is one of the most sure bets in the first round.

I don't think so. Robert Gallery and Tony Mandrich come to mind of top ten busts.

Lonestar
03-05-2008, 09:57 PM

NO TX not always the failure rate of hotshots RB is a lot higher than top tier linemen..

Having a RB that is fast does not translate to being great in the pros tater ring a bell.

On top of that his questionable personal habits and our Darth of quality on the LOS is why I posted

"Most hotshots playing in college do not translated that greatness to the PROs

I'll pass on fluff until we get the OLINE fixed.."

Nice to see your back in full swing..

Watchthemiddle
03-05-2008, 09:57 PM
If Mcfadden were drafted by the Broncos, I honestly don't think any of us would complain.

Lonestar
03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
If Mcfadden were drafted by the Broncos, I honestly don't think any of us would complain.

if we get him after fixing problems areas me either but I'd rather have someone of higher moral quality first..

MOtorboat
03-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think so. Robert Gallery and Tony Mandrich come to mind of top ten busts.

I'm not even going into it...but if we draft a Gallery and he turns into a 10-year starter, like he will, I'm not going to complain. The record speaks for itself...look it up.

lex
03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Let it go Lex. McFadden is and will be a bust in the NFL.

No. Not with us.

lex
03-05-2008, 10:28 PM

LCD

lex
03-05-2008, 10:53 PM
BTW, here is one reason that we might take McFadden if he were to become available to us. Goodman, who was recently promoted to assistant GM, was a scout for the southeast US...and if you look at a lot of our draft picks (in particular better ones) they played college ball in the SE. So Goodman, seems to have their ear and if he signs of on McFadden, we may draft him if he is available, which would be good for us.