PDA

View Full Version : Broncos signed LB Niko Koutouvides

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos have signed LB Niko Koutouvides to a three-year, $7.5 million contract.

Koutouvides is a strong special teamer with some experience at middle linebacker. We doubt he'll be given a real chance to start there in Denver.
Related: Seahawks

Davii
03-03-2008, 09:58 AM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos have signed LB Niko Koutouvides to a three-year, $7.5 million contract.

Koutouvides is a strong special teamer with some experience at middle linebacker. We doubt he'll be given a real chance to start there in Denver.

Good news. That's a big contract for someone that is merely a special teamer, the coaches and FO staff obviously see something in him we don't.

He might not get a look at ML, but he will get a chance to contribute to the team as much as his abilities allow him.

I hope he does well in Denver. If I learn to pronounce his name properly then I guess he's doing his job well.

BigDaddyBronco
03-03-2008, 10:03 AM
$2.5mil a year for a special teams player and backup. If we new how to draft you get a guy like this in the 5th round and save $1.5mil a year.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/2002439819.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NikoKoutouvides1.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/53167647.jpg

Scarface
03-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Koutouvides, who visited Tampa Bay on Friday, is a special-teams ace and is a prospect at middle linebacker. If he were to sign in Denver, it would give the team an option to move D.J. Williams to weakside linebacker. Williams moved from strongside to the middle last year. With Ian Gold being cut Friday, Denver has options at linebacker. Jamie Winborn, Nate Webster and perhaps a draft pick will be in the mix as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8423011

Scarface
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/51556970.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/51927855.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/76170664.jpg

Drill-N-Fill
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Alot of money for a special teamer, but I'm glad we are finally spending some money there. We have been too bad for too many years.

I don't see him starting at all. In fact, the closer the draft comes, the more I think its Conner at 12.

turftoad
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Another signing to get all excited about.
If he's going to wear Gradishars and Romos # he better be able to make it proud.

Dreadnought
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm getting to the point where I'll be excited if he just avoids getting arrested. My standards are dropping I guess.

GEM
03-03-2008, 11:05 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NikoKoutouvides1.jpg

He's got some nice legs. :D

Bronco9798
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Nothing like a little Wal-Mart shopping. DJ and Winborn will get the starts this year. Just have to wait and see how and where they play everybody. We still needanother LB and some more depth there. I've never been sold on Webster but maybe he can come into camp and surprise us this year.

PatricktheDookie
03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I would wager we signed him to a back-laden contract that makes him easy to cut if he does not develop into a solid contributor. With that considered, 3 for 7.5 is not a bad deal.

Italianmobstr7
03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
He has a cool name. Maybe he'll be a good special teams player for us.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
This is a good signing. We need depth and his special teams experience is very valuable and under appreciated.

niner is right about Winborn... if he can stay healthy he is a stud. If not, we now have some guys that can step in and are more than adequate.

JONtheBRONCO
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Good signing, I like it a lot... No sarcasm here. We need special teamers. The problem with many clubs special teams, is they put guys who have never been on special teams in college, on punt return, kickoff, etc in the pros and they don't know what they're doing. Glad we have a guy who is a so called "ace." Plus, he was stuck behind 3 great linebackers, lets see what he can do.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I would wager we signed him to a back-laden contract that makes him easy to cut if he does not develop into a solid contributor. With that considered, 3 for 7.5 is not a bad deal.

At the very least he's going to be one of our top Special Teamers. He'll contribute.

BOSSHOGG30
We will have to call him KO

Dreadnought
Nothing like a little Wal-Mart shopping. DJ and Winborn will get the starts this year. Just have to wait and see how and where they play everybody. We still needanother LB and some more depth there. I've never been sold on Webster but maybe he can come into camp and surprise us this year.

Agreed. I think Webster is a stiff, frankly. If Ian Gold was bad this past year, there were times when Webster was worse IMO. I'm not sure we got rid of the right guy.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
It really looks like we will sign Boss Bailey and if we do, Boss will play SAM. Winborn will play WILL and D.J. will be at MLB. Unless KO really lights it up at MLB and we might move D.J. back to WILL and KO will start at MLB.

topscribe
03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Agreed. I think Webster is a stiff, frankly. If Ian Gold was bad this past year, there were times when Webster was worse IMO. I'm not sure we got rid of the right guy.

I hope not. The Broncos do need depth, too.

Webster was good enough to start last year (if for only reason there was no
one else); he shoud be good enough to provide depth this year, I would think.

-----

topscribe
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
He's got some nice legs. :D

They don't turn me on at all . . .

-----

Bronco9798
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
They don't turn me on at all . . .

-----

I actually checked them out, I must agree with you. :D

Medford Bronco
03-03-2008, 11:28 AM
How big is he. Is he bigger than Gold I hope?

Italianmobstr7
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
According to ESPN he's 6'2, 238 lbs. He has 121 career tackles, 1 forced fumble, and 1 pass defensed. He was drafted by Seattle in the 4th round in 2004.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Rotoworld has him at 242

Scarface
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
NFL.com has him at 6-2 238.

So I guess he's somewhere in between.

mclark
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I hope he's the middle linebacker we've been hoping for. We'll see.

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I like the signing, I have a hard time believing we are paying him 2.5 Mil a year to play special teams. If we are paying him that to make 20 tackles a year we should have no problem paying Elam 3 Mil to kick game winning field goals.

Hopefully the coaches see something in him. I heard he is Dik Butkis' nephew? If that is true, maybe he can carry on the nasty side of 53 we Broncos fans have grown to miss...

Bronco9798
03-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I like the signing, I have a hard time believing we are paying him 2.5 Mil a year to play special teams. If we are paying him that to make 20 tackles a year we should have no problem paying Elam 3 Mil to kick game winning field goals.

Hopefully the coaches see something in him. I heard he is Dik Butkis' nephew? If that is true, maybe he can carry on the nasty side of 53 we Broncos fans have grown to miss...

I would think if he was all that nasty, he would of remained in Seattle. But, hopefully he can bring it when he gets here....:D

MHCBill
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Good signing, I like it a lot... No sarcasm here. We need special teamers. The problem with many clubs special teams, is they put guys who have never been on special teams in college, on punt return, kickoff, etc in the pros and they don't know what they're doing. Glad we have a guy who is a so called "ace." Plus, he was stuck behind 3 great linebackers, lets see what he can do.
Like Paul Smith!

He was something else last year.

MHCBill
03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I like his size and I think it is a good signing.

Value Value Value...

With the new front office philosophy they better not blow this draft.

OB
03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I have no clue who he is - but this is getting like NBA/MLB salaries - 2.5 mil to a ST player who doesnt return the ball or is not a starter also :confused: - i mean from what I read in this thread it looks like that will be his roll for the first year on the team - maybe it will develop into something greater

But if all you guys says its good - then to me - its all good

But if he doesnt make it i will come back to this thread and beat your asses :D

BigDaddyBronco
03-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Value Value Value...

I think that is a great point Bill. Bowlen's message was definately heard by Shanny and the boys, but it puts the spotlight on an area where there has traditionally been problems - the draft.

Is this the first step on Bowlen getting a real GM? Hmmm, things to ponder. Of course, if Shanny hits a homerun with a couple of draft picks, then it will not matter.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm getting to the point where I'll be excited if he just avoids getting arrested. My standards are dropping I guess.

I heard he was part of the greek mafia.. Has an addiction to olive oil..

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I think that is a great point Bill. Bowlen's message was definately heard by Shanny and the boys, but it puts the spotlight on an area where there has traditionally been problems - the draft.

Is this the first step on Bowlen getting a real GM? Hmmm, things to ponder. Of course, if Shanny hits a homerun with a couple of draft picks, then it will not matter.

If he is looking for this year it is already to late.. But may be setting mikey up to make or break it in the draft this year..

I personally do not think that mikey will have three straight years in getting top talent in the draft..

dogfish
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
meh. . . why not fill the spot with cameron vaughn or t.j. hollowell and put the money you save towards a contract extension for the one QUALITY linebacker we have on the roster? d.d. lewis was billed as a special teams ace, and we saw how that worked out-- jordan beck was supposed to be a special teams ace, too, and so was paul smith. . . with all these aces, why do our special teams continue to suck so bad?

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
meh. . . why not fill the spot with cameron vaughn or t.j. hollowell and put the money you save towards a contract extension for the one QUALITY linebacker we have on the roster? d.d. lewis was billed as a special teams ace, and we saw how that worked out-- jordan beck was supposed to be a special teams ace, too, and so was paul smith. . . with all these aces, why do our special teams continue to suck so bad?

Actually Paul Smith played good when he was healthy... he was banged up most of last year. And Jordan Beck was a beast. He was our leading special teamer and he didn't even come on till mid season.

HolyDiver
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Value Value Value...

He's only listed at 232................How is that good size?

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
He's only listed at 232................How is that good size?

Because that is the only place he is listed that low, every other site has him at at least 238 to 245.

GEM
03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Totally unrelated, but he could be added to the Girlie Perv Association. :D

HolyDiver
03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Because that is the only place he is listed that low, every other site has him at at least 238 to 245.

245 would be nice.

Rex
03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
245 would be nice.

You and your arbitrary weight limits!:rolleyes:

Requiem / The Dagda
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
The contract is decent, but it tells me he'll "get" a chance to start. Regardless, he's not the answer for a starting spot on this team. A great special teams player; but that's the price you play in an inflated market. I still expect Denver to draft a linebacker.

G_Money
03-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Jamie Winborn:

2005: Played in eight games with two starts as a member of the 49ers and Jaguars… Played in three games with two starts with the 49ers before being traded to the Jaguars on October 7… Played in five games with Jacksonville before being placed on the Injured Reserve list on November 29… Totaled 15 tackles and two special teams tackles for the season.

2004: Appeared in 14 games for 49ers ... Posted 52 total tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 interception and 7 passes defensed ... Inactive with shoulder injury Weeks 16-17.

2003: Appeared in nine games all in a reserve role for 49ers ... Recorded 61 total tackles (40 solo), 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery ... Placed on Injured Reserve (11/15) with neck injury.

2002: Started all three games in which he appeared for Niners ... Finished season with 28 tackles (21 solo), one sack, two passes defensed and two special teams tackles ... Left game (9/22) vs. Washington with knee injury and did not return ... Inactive Weeks 4-16 with knee injury ... Placed on Injured Reserve (1/2/03).

Winborn has two problems as a starter: Injury and stupid over-agressiveness. We're hoping we can tone down the latter, but if the former crops up again, as it has every other year he's started, then we need a capable backup LB.

Niko is that guy. That's all this is, and I'm fine with that being what this is.

I agree with Dream, we're still drafting a LB.

~G

Rex
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Jamie Winborn:

Winborn has two problems as a starter: Injury and stupid over-agressiveness. We're hoping we can tone down the latter, but if the former crops up again, as it has every other year he's started, then we need a capable backup LB.

Niko is that guy. That's all this is, and I'm fine with that being what this is.

I agree with Dream, we're still drafting a LB.

~G

I knew you were Mike Shanahan.

G_Money
03-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Well, I am a self-described genius who doesn't know jack about the draft but likes to pretend competence, is intolerant of other people and their stupidity and likes to pace angrily while glaring at peons who dare to question me.

However, there are two key differences between us:

1) My bank account is missing some zeroes.

2) My skin still resembles human skin instead of burnt animal residue crusted on the side of the highway.

So unfortunately, pleading with me to stop being a moron in the FA market and to move the damn pocket for Jay will do no good...

~G

HolyDiver
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Well, I am a self-described genius who doesn't know jack about the draft but likes to pretend competence, is intolerant of other people and their stupidity and likes to pace angrily while glaring at peons who dare to question me.

However, there are two key differences between us:

1) My bank account is missing some zeroes.

2) My skin still resembles human skin instead of burnt animal residue crusted on the side of the highway.

So unfortunately, pleading with me to stop being a moron in the FA market and to move the damn pocket for Jay will do no good...

~G

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

BigDaddyBronco
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
~G

LOL. Another classic line from our resident wordsmith G. :laugh:

dogfish
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM

dear cswil,

please never insult G like this again

TIA

-dogfish

shank
03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
not so excited about this one. either we spent a lot for a special teamer or we passed on other mike "prospects" to get this guy.

he will obviously help our team more than robertson would have.

ydave77
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Yh I am not so sure about the so called special teams "aces" aside from returners. I think its more about getting a good special teams coach, and having a good system in place. 2.5 mill is alot of money for a guy who is primarily a special teamer....seems like that could be put to signing someone who could make more of an impact. I wonder hm Hackett or Bryant Johnson will sign for...if its around 5mill/yr...for the amount we gave this guy and Colbert...we could have an actual #2 Wr.

shank
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Yh I am not so sure about the so called special teams "aces" aside from returners. I think its more about getting a good special teams coach, and having a good system in place. 2.5 mill is alot of money for a guy who is primarily a special teamer....seems like that could be put to signing someone who could make more of an impact. I wonder hm Hackett or Bryant Johnson will sign for...if its around 5mill/yr...for the amount we gave this guy and Colbert...we could have an actual #2 Wr.

i don't know about hackett, but i would expect johnson to get somewhere similar to berrian, around 7 mil per. hackett will probably be under 5 mil per, i don't think he has the same value as a FA as stallworth.

niko is an expensive special teamer, or a cheap, unproven mike prospect. either way, i'm not dancing. for a little more, we could have gotten someone who has already shown they can produce on defense. maybe i'm low-balling the importance of a ST linebacker, but we already have beck who played well on ST last year. we need to be signing some gunners cause i'm tired of seeing mike leach get to the punt returner first...

ydave77
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
i don't know about hackett, but i would expect johnson to get somewhere similar to berrian, around 7 mil per. hackett will probably be under 5 mil per, i don't think he has the same value as a FA as stallworth.

niko is an expensive special teamer, or a cheap, unproven mike prospect. either way, i'm not dancing. for a little more, we could have gotten someone who has already shown they can produce on defense. maybe i'm low-balling the importance of a ST linebacker, but we already have beck who played well on ST last year. we need to be signing some gunners cause i'm tired of seeing mike leach get to the punt returner first...

I think I am also wary, bc it seems like we have tried to sign special teams aces the last few yrs...and our special teams still ride the short bus.

shank
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
and our special teams still ride the short bus.

our special (used in the most derogatory manner possible) teams don't even make it onto the short bus. they are dragging behind on a plastic sled tied to the bumper with helmets on their elbows.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Niko Koutouvides
ESPN Insider Analysis

A four-year veteran, Koutouvides is versatile and intelligent. He has good size and straight-line speed. He is tenacious and tough. He plays very hard and will throw his body around. He can play any of Seattle's linebacker positions and is one of the team's better special teams contributors. He consistently is one of the first players downfield in kick coverage. He lacks ideal lateral agility and change-of-direction skills. He can struggle to avoid blockers and get good fits to squeeze a play. He isn't the most instinctive player. He can be late to react and runs himself out of some plays by overpursuing. Koutouvides knows how to play within his limitations, but he likely never will be more than a backup and special teams ace.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Niko Koutouvides
ESPN Insider Analysis

A four-year veteran, Koutouvides is versatile and intelligent. He has good size and straight-line speed. He is tenacious and tough. He plays very hard and will throw his body around. He can play any of Seattle's linebacker positions and is one of the team's better special teams contributors. He consistently is one of the first players downfield in kick coverage. He lacks ideal lateral agility and change-of-direction skills. He can struggle to avoid blockers and get good fits to squeeze a play. He isn't the most instinctive player. He can be late to react and runs himself out of some plays by overpursuing. Koutouvides knows how to play within his limitations, but he likely never will be more than a backup and special teams ace.

We better be getting some quality DT in front of him..

$2.5 mil per year sounds like someone in Dove valley knows something the scouts do not.. :eek:

NameUsedBefore
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
That's a lot of money for a special teamer, IMO. This is like the years before where we have had a weak D-line so we splurge on some crappy D-lineman and guess what, throwing a ton of money at one player didn't fix the whole unit's play. Go figure.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Solid signing given our ST woes over the past few years. I expect to see a bunch of LBs come in to sure up the ST. Starting w/ this guy and then 1 or 2 more in the draft. I think Boss and DJ will start and Winborn will have to compete w/ whomever we draft. Not a huge Boss fan, but he does have some skills and should cover TEs better than our options did last year.

Italianmobstr7
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Like Paul Smith!

He was something else last year.

I hope that wasn't sarcasm. Paul Smith did a very good job for us on special teams. Our special teams sucked, and he still did a good job, but he was about the only one.

ydave77
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Is it me, or does anyone else the trends of our 2 FA's were reversed. Keary had a great rookie season, followed by disappointment. While our buddy here, also had a good rookie yr with 62 tackles in 2004, and then never over 25 again. I know thats mainly bec of Lofa who has been a standout, but I'd like to be picking up some players who are on the verge of breaking out, instead of seemingly regressing.

Slick
03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
LOL. Another classic line from our resident wordsmith G. :laugh:

Agreed. That ranks up there with this...

"Shaun Rogers is detested by Lions fans, because he has the ability to be Albert Haynesworth and instead he's Homer Simpson for 12 games a year. Once a month the sleeping bear awakens, mauls his foes, then goes back to eating donuts."

dogfish
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Is it me, or does anyone else the trends of our 2 FA's were reversed. Keary had a great rookie season, followed by disappointment. While our buddy here, also had a good rookie yr with 62 tackles in 2004, and then never over 25 again. I know thats mainly bec of Lofa who has been a standout, but I'd like to be picking up some players who are on the verge of breaking out, instead of seemingly regressing.

don't worry, now we're looking at kwame harris. . .

he's about to break out. . . .

of the NFL and into the CFL. . . . :coffee:

Retired_Member_001
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Hopefully Niko Koutouvides makes the kind of impact on special teams as Jamie Winborn did last season. I see Niko being given the chance to compete for a starting linebacker spot. The fat contract (for a special teamer) gives me this feeling.

Hopefully this isn't the only move Shanny makes at Linebacker or else we are in trouble.

Heretismou's Niko.

Superchop 7
03-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Draft for linebackers is weak.

This is good for depth.

Hell, I may even order a jersey. (gotta admit, the name rocks)

Compared to some other guys......no problem with this pickup.

shank
03-04-2008, 03:36 AM
Draft for linebackers is weak.

This is good for depth.

Hell, I may even order a jersey. (gotta admit, the name rocks)

Compared to some other guys......no problem with this pickup.

this draft is very un-weak for linebackers.

Superchop 7
03-04-2008, 03:39 AM
this draft is very un-weak for linebackers.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

yeak, ok, whatever you say.

I'm sure the first round will be filled with linebacker selections.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 03:52 AM
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

depends on whether you're counting the 3-4 LBs or not. . . connor and rivers might be the only 4-3 'backers to go in the 1st, although i think mayo has a chance after a good combine. . . but gholston is a top-10 lock, harvey is almost certainly a 1st rounder, and can play DE or 3-4 OLB, and groves could go in the 1st as well. . . if you're only talking 4-3 guys, i would agree that this class is lacking a true blue chipper, but the 1st day depth isn't bad (i don't necessarily love a lot of this year's LB prospects myself, but i don't think the class is any weaker than average-- JMO). . . .

shank
03-04-2008, 04:00 AM

lots of one position in the 1st round doesn't constitute a deep draft at that position. there are a lot of very talented players that will be available throughout the draft at linebacker. i don't mean to say it's super duper uber deep, but i would never in a million years call it 'weak.'

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-04-2008, 05:56 AM

the way we hire personnel we will probably get matt millen.

sneakers
03-04-2008, 06:06 AM

Try saying that name 5 times fast.

Superchop 7
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh, so your counting DE's as linebackers.........(3-4 gotcha)

For "our" team...........not alot of "starters" available. (4-3)

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 09:31 AM
The Denver Post is reporting that the Broncos told Niko Koutouvides that they would like for him to be the starting MLB so they can move D.J. back to WILL. They are also looking to sign Boss Bailey for the SAM job.

MOtorboat
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
The Denver Post is reporting that the Broncos told Niko Koutouvides that they would like for him to be the starting MLB so they can move D.J. back to WILL. They are also looking to sign Boss Bailey for the SAM job.

Interesting...

I'll say it again though...STOP MOVING DJ!...At some point we've got to let him settle into a position. He's too talented to be moving him every single year...

MOtorboat
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
P.S. can we get a pronunciation on Koutouvides?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
This draft is very deep at LB. Connor, Rivers and Mayo may be the only first rounders, but Henderson, Wheeler, Goff, Adibi, Avril, Gooden, Lofton, etc, etc...are all solid 2nd round prospects and can ALL help us huge.

Now I don't mind the new guy at MLB cuz if you remember, our SB teams didn't exactly have all stars in the middle. Just hard nosed guys who fill the gaps and didn't miss tackles.

ydave77
03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree...I know DJ had what may have been his best yr at WILL, but at the end of the season he was saying that he didnt want to move around any more. Personally I think he was solid at MLB last yr, hard to judge with our DT's, but he was a real playmaker at WILL. I dont mind seeing him back there at all...but I think he is a FA after this upcoming yr, and if I were him I would want to blow the hell out of town, if they moved me again.

I hope the FO talks to him before deciding to possibly move him back to WILL. Maybe he will embrace the position he played his rookie yr...but he deserves to have someone (Shanny or Slow) talk to him about it, and give him a heads up.

I just hope this doesnt taint him even more against Den, and he is willing to re-sign with us. We have enough holes on this team without creating another.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I honestly am not concerned about him resigning. He's good, but hardly irreplacable. I don't like them constantly moving him, but I'm hardly gonna weep if he does go.

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
P.S. can we get a pronunciation on Koutouvides?

Koo-tuh-vee-dees

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
There is a new Mike at Dove Valley and his name is Niko.

Broncos fans will want to get to know Niko Koutouvides, the Broncos' new middle linebacker, a position otherwise dubbed the Mike. As in, most likely, the Broncos' starting Mike.

The Broncos did not give Koutouvides a three-year, $7.5 million contract for the primary purpose of bolstering their special teams, much as they could use the help.

Nor did the 6-foot-2, 244-pound Koutouvides turn down a nearly identical offer from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and a standing matching offer from his former Seattle Seahawks so he could spend the next three years watching D.J. Williams from the sideline.

"I signed with Denver because of the opportunity to play middle linebacker," Kou- touvides said. "Tampa was pretty much looking at me to be their Sam (strongside) 'backer and back up at Mike. But I've been a middle linebacker all my life. I've extremely excited."

There is no announcement yet from Denver coach Mike Shanahan, but it appears Williams is moving back to the outside, where his preference would be the Will (weakside) position. Koutouvides, who backed up Pro Bowler Lofa Tatupu in Seattle, was recruited with the idea of becoming the Broncos' third starting middle linebacker in three years, after Williams and Al Wilson.

A special-teams standout during his four years in Seattle, Koutouvides is a ferocious hitter who got more playing time last season in the Seahawks' four-'backer packages.

The Broncos' third starting linebacker could be Boss Bailey, brother of star cornerback Champ Bailey. Boss is scheduled to visit Denver on Wednesday and Green Bay later in the week.

"The Broncos said in their perfect world they would like to move D.J. back to his more natural outside position," Kou- touvides said. "I didn't realize it until my visit that he had played all three linebacker positions in his four years here. I feel for the guy. It's tough to move around like that because you want to play on instinct. He's a phenomenal athlete to have been able to start at three positions like that."

In what sounds like a spinoff from the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," Koutouvides and his two older brothers grew up working as busboys at the Greek restaurant his father still operates in Farmington, Conn.

Naturally, the movie came up during his dinner visit at Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House with, among other Broncos luminaries, linebackers coach Jim Ryan and his wife, Sara.

"Coach Ryan's wife said it was her favorite movie," Kou- touvides. "The movie was pretty much right on, but they did exaggerate a few things. We really don't use Windex to heal, anymore."

Footnotes.

The Broncos may have a visit with San Francisco offensive tackle Kwame Harris and are talking with former Broncos and Raiders offensive tackle Cornell Green. . . . Safety Sammy Knight signed with the Giants. He visited the Broncos on Friday, but Denver didn't have much interest.

ydave77
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I honestly am not concerned about him resigning. He's good, but hardly irreplacable. I don't like them constantly moving him, but I'm hardly gonna weep if he does go.

We only have so many draft picks..and if we arent going to sign FA's, we better keep our players who are starter caliber. I am not saying he is a pro bowler, but unlike alot of our defense, I think he is worthy of starting. If we lose him, its just one more hole to fill next yr...

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Kwame Harris or Cornell Green???

who ya like?

dogfish
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
i can't say that i'm a huge fan of this move. . . not that i mind koutouvides competing for a starting job, but i'm not especially thrilled with bringing in a guy with two career starts and just handing him the job. . . oh well, maybe they bring someone else in at some point-- or maybe he's a stopgap and we get maualuga next year! :werd:

who knows, maybe it'll work out. . . . doesn't exactly have me brimming with confidence, though. . .

*shrugs*

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM

who ya like?

Can we bring them both in? We need depth at almost every offensive line position. Green would probably be more valuable because he knows our system and can play more than Tackle.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
We only have so many draft picks..and if we arent going to sign FA's, we better keep our players who are starter caliber. I am not saying he is a pro bowler, but unlike alot of our defense, I think he is worthy of starting. If we lose him, its just one more hole to fill next yr...

And w/ plenty of LBs in this draft, I'm not worried about that. We signed Niko and will likely get Boss. That puts 2 of last years starters on the bench. We draft a LB or 2 and our depth is now great. If DJ gets pissy about the moves, bye bye. He's gonna want uber bucks as it stands. THIS is the draft to prepare for that possibility.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:22 AM
i can't say that i'm a huge fan of this move. . . not that i mind koutouvides competing for a starting job, but i'm not especially thrilled with bringing in a guy with two career starts and just handing him the job. . . oh well, maybe they bring someone else in at some point-- or maybe he's a stopgap and we get maualuga next year! :werd:

who knows, maybe it'll work out. . . . doesn't exactly have me brimming with confidence, though. . .

*shrugs*

I'll just be very upset if this means we ignore LB in this draft. There have been very few recent drafts where I've seen this many prospects that I really like. I know there was Puz last year, but he was basically the only LB I had interest in. Goff, Henderson, Mayo, Connor......Get me at least 1 of em.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 10:22 AM

he may not be an all-pro, but he's the only NFL starting-caliber linebacker we have on the roster as of right now. . . he's talented, versatile, and can play every position in our system. . . he's been extremely durable, and is just hitting his prime. . . like dave says, we need to be filling holes, not creating more. . . JMO. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
he may not be an all-pro, but he's the only NFL starting-caliber linebacker we have on the roster as of right now. . . he's talented, versatile, and can play every position in our system. . . he's been extremely durable, and is just hitting his prime. . . like dave says, we need to be filling holes, not creating more. . . JMO. . .

I guess...but it would depend on the cost. What kinda $$ is he gonna be asking for?

dogfish

who ya like?

you'd be hard pressed to find an OT i like less than harris. . . .

BOSSHOGG30
Seattle was stacked at linebacker... I can't wait to see Kootie play.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Seattle was stacked at linebacker... I can't wait to see Kootie play.

Which is what was intriguing about Bentley...Just cuz he didn't start doesn't mean he's not good. He had 3 pretty dam good ballers ahead of him.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I'll just be very upset if this means we ignore LB in this draft. There have been very few recent drafts where I've seen this many prospects that I really like. I know there was Puz last year, but he was basically the only LB I had interest in. Goff, Henderson, Mayo, Connor......Get me at least 1 of em.

i know what you mean, because i'm going to be disappointed if we don't address OT and DT over the offseason, and right now i don't think it's looking very good for me. . . bottom line, unless we either acquire some other picks, make an unexpected move, or really hit the ball outta the park on some 2nd day picks, someone is going to be upset. . . because two 1st day picks can only be spread so far, and we've got way more holes than that that need attention. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Even w/ Niko and Boss...I say trade back and grab KP, a WR and Mayo/Goff/Henderson w/ our day 1 pix. After that go ALL OT and DT like we did w/ CBs a few years back.

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't know if the Broncos would draft a linebacker if we signed Boss Bailey..... How many linebackers does a keep normally keep on the roster?

We would have:

Nate Webster
D.J. Williams
Louis Green
Jamie Winborn
Kootie
Boss Bailey

That is a pretty young linebacker core. I guess they would have room for one more guy if they wanted to upgrade one of the backup linebacker spots.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I know the realistic aspect of things...but most of that list is a flaming pile. I'm just voicing my displeasure given the draft crop at that spot. I am really wondering what Shanny has in store on draft day cuz he seems to be filling the holes that we all agree are there with average talent. Not saying these guys can't work out, but what do we draft? Could it finally be that stud RB everyone has wanted? Will it be the Safety that I have coveted? What about OT? Should be an interesting ride.

ydave77
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Even w/ Niko and Boss...I say trade back and grab KP, a WR and Mayo/Goff/Henderson w/ our day 1 pix. After that go ALL OT and DT like we did w/ CBs a few years back.

I think we need to hit up OT or DT (if a miracle happens and Ellis/Dorsey are there), with our 1st pick. For too long we have relegated our lines to day 2 picks. We need to prioritize them.

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Don't know if this has been posted or not.... sorry if it has

Here's some stuff from PFWs 2004 Draft Preview, for whatever it's worth:

6-2 and a half/244/4.7
3 yr starter at Purdue, both at SLB and MLB (last 2 yrs),1st team All Big 10,
"Adequate size, long arms. Good production. Tough and instinctive. Will take on blockers and play physical. Shows good awareness. Competes hard. Teams Hammer Award for being Purdues hardest hitter"

Buff
03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Whatever we have to do to get Nate Webster off the field is ok by me... His play was pathetic-- If you look up "overpursue" in the dictionary there's a picture of Nate Webster.

CoachChaz
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Over pursued his way to 87 tackles sharing time with Winborn

tubby
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Curtis Lofton

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM

And 45 of those were without his helmet.

Buff
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM

So you'd be comfortable with Webster as one of our starting OLB's this season?

CoachChaz
03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
So you'd be comfortable with Webster as one of our starting OLB's this season?

We could certainly do worse.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM

no offense intended, but i don't like it much. . . . not that i have any problem with any of those particular players so much, but to me it looks an awful lot like the same old same old shanahan plan-- invest all your valuable picks on skill positions and assume that you can get by with late rounders on the lines. . . we made a good start last year but it's not finished. . . i'd rather see us build from the inside out for a change, put some more pieces in place for QUALITY, talented lines and let them develop together. . . if we take a skill position guy on the 1st day, i still prefer stewart or mendenhall because i think those are the potential home runs (and i wouldn't mind mayo, but with the way our picks are slotted i don't see it happening without a trade unless we get a little lucky). . . . JMO. . .

I know the realistic aspect of things...but most of that list is a flaming pile. I'm just voicing my displeasure given the draft crop at that spot. I am really wondering what Shanny has in store on draft day cuz he seems to be filling the holes that we all agree are there with average talent. Not saying these guys can't work out, but what do we draft? Could it finally be that stud RB everyone has wanted? Will it be the Safety that I have coveted? What about OT? Should be an interesting ride.

it's hard trying to guess how his weaselly little mind is working, but to me it looks like WR, safety and LB will be our 1st day priorities-- possibly in that order. . .

Lonestar
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
no offense intended, but i don't like it much. . . . not that i have any problem with any of those particular players so much, but to me it looks an awful lot like the same old same old shanahan plan-- invest all your valuable picks on skill positions and assume that you can get by with late rounders on the lines. . . we made a good start last year but it's not finished. . . i'd rather see us build from the inside out for a change, put some more pieces in place for QUALITY, talented lines and let them develop together. . . if we take a skill position guy on the 1st day, i still prefer stewart or mendenhall because i think those are the potential home runs (and i wouldn't mind mayo, but with the way our picks are slotted i don't see it happening without a trade unless we get a little lucky). . . . JMO. . .

it's hard trying to guess how his weaselly little mind is working, but to me it looks like WR, safety and LB will be our 1st day priorities-- possibly in that order. . .

Let hope he has learned his lesson with WRs one for 20 or so drafted WRs and he was a fourth..

Hoping that a stud WR falls to #12 and will be of value this year is beyond stupid..

Plan on 2-4 years learning the system time and then a year of wanting a new contract or whining because they are re not getting enough balls..

Just adapt the old adage women can't live with them and can't kill them.

To WRs can't live with them and can't kill them.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Let hope he has learned his lesson with WRs one for 20 or so drafted WRs and he was a fourth..

Hoping that a stud WR falls to #12 and will be of value this year is beyond stupid..

Plan on 2-4 years learning the system time and then a year of wanting a new contract or whining because they are re not getting enough balls..

:lol:

yea, mike's history of drafting receivers is, shall we say, a little less than distinguished. . . . JMO, but i'd hate to see us spend #12 looking for a #2 wideout when there are capable guys available every year in free agency-- you might have to overpay a little, but when you've struck out as many times as we have it might be worth it to get a proven performer. . . AZ in '06 was a great example of what happens when you have two superstud WRs and crappy O-line. . .

ydave77
03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
:lol:

yea, mike's history of drafting receivers is, shall we say, a little less than distinguished. . . . JMO, but i'd hate to see us spend #12 looking for a #2 wideout when there are capable guys available every year in free agency-- you might have to overpay a little, but when you've struck out as many times as we have it might be worth it to get a proven performer. . . AZ in '06 was a great example of what happens when you have two superstud WRs and crappy O-line. . .

I will be beyond annoyed if we take a WR @12...doesnt seem to make sense to do it. It is a hole, but not glaring. Marshall I feel comfortable with as our #1.
In a typical offense where you get around 60rec from your #2, and maybe 30 from your #3, and say 40rec from your TE, maybe we'll just spread it around a little more. Have Stokely get more rec than a typical #3, have our combo of Scheff/Graham pick up more than your typical TE, than that will lessen the pressure on our #2, and the amount he will have to contribute. WR seems to be a position where you can get starters in any round, not just early.

I think the spot where value meets position is probably OT.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I will be beyond annoyed if we take a WR @12...doesnt seem to make sense to do it. It is a hole, but not glaring. Marshall I feel comfortable with as our #1.
In a typical offense where you get around 60rec from your #2, and maybe 30 from your #3, and say 40rec from your TE, maybe we'll just spread it around a little more. Have Stokely get more rec than a typical #3, have our combo of Scheff/Graham pick up more than your typical TE, than that will lessen the pressure on our #2, and the amount he will have to contribute. WR seems to be a position where you can get starters in any round, not just early.

I think the spot where value meets position is probably OT.

i pretty much agree with that. . . don't get me wrong, i'd LIKE to have a real top-notch #2 (i'd like to have all-pros at every position, who wouldn't? but it's not realistic)-- but i don't think that we can't win ballgames with what we've got if we get better pass protection and improve our run efense. . . to me, those are PRIORITIES-- finding a deadly #2 is more of a luxury. . . admittedly, we have a glaring need for more depth, because if marshall gets hurt we're screwed (*knocks on wood*), but bottom line, there are multiple positions where we don't even have competent starters, let alone backups. . .

ydave77
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
i pretty much agree with that. . . don't get me wrong, i'd LIKE to have a real top-notch #2 (i'd like to have all-pros at every position, who wouldn't? but it's not realistic)-- but i don't think that we can't win ballgames with what we've got if we get better pass protection and improve our run efense. . . to me, those are PRIORITIES-- finding a deadly #2 is more of a luxury. . . admittedly, we have a glaring need for more depth, because if marshall gets hurt we're screwed (*knocks on wood*), but bottom line, there are multiple positions where we don't even have competent starters, let alone backups. . .

haha agreed...if bryant or dj hackett want to sign here...i'd love to have a legit option for our 2nd wr. But I think we can win without one....I think we need to get Scheff more heavily involved, keep Stokely active, and hope/pray/sacrifice an:elefant: to the bronco gods that Colbert can be competetive at #2.

Overall though I in no way feel comfortable with just giving Harris the job. Cutlers the franchise...we need to keep him upright. To me thats the most impt thing on offense. I have a serious man crush on Cut and think he can be great. But like we saw in the super bowl, even the best QBs look avg when they dont get time to throw the ball.

twelfth woman
03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
who?

Superchop 7
03-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Niko is quoted as saying they (the Bronco's) want him at middle linebacker, guess this means DJ is moving back to where he belongs.

fcspikeit
03-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't know if the Broncos would draft a linebacker if we signed Boss Bailey..... How many linebackers does a keep normally keep on the roster?

We would have:

Nate Webster
D.J. Williams
Louis Green
Jamie Winborn
Kootie
Boss Bailey

That is a pretty young linebacker core. I guess they would have room for one more guy if they wanted to upgrade one of the backup linebacker spots.

Hey Boss, Did you forget about Beck or did we cut him without me knowing about it?

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey Boss, Did you forget about Beck or did we cut him without me knowing about it?

I forgot about Beck... no way he gets the hack. He was one of our best special teamers last season.

fcspikeit
03-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I forgot about Beck... no way he gets the hack. He was one of our best special teamers last season.

IMO he was our best special teams player.

I even thought he would have done better then Gold and or Webster. He couldn't have done much worse right?

After adding Beck to your list and assuming we get Bailey I can't see us drafting a LB unless we cut someone else? If we do get Bailey, I bet we don't draft a LB on day one esp if we intent to play KO at Mike.. We also seem to be targeting S in FA. Assuming we pick one up, where does that leave us on day 1?

If we rule out WR, LB, & S that leaves, DT & OT as our main needs. Beings Mikey has said he likes the way our O-Line looks. That really only leaves DT. Beings we are not pushing vary hard for one in FA I would say that is the most logical choice. Maybe he will push hard to move up and get Dorsey or Ellis?

Either that or maybe he is planning on drafting a RB in the 1st? It should be interesting!

mclark
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
It's nice to see that the Broncos realize that DJ is not the answer at middle linebacker. We're trying to fix that problem.

In my mind Webster is a backup at best. We need more help at linebacker.

ikillz0mbies
03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
From what I'm seeing on this board is that everyone wants either a defensive lineman or an offensive lineman. I really think that a defensive lineman should be drafted with the first round pick. The DT has been a problem for the Broncos far too long and I think this is the time to do it. From what I'm seeing though, the chances are low for Ellis or Dorsey to even fall to the Broncos at 12. Those two are at the top 15 and the only (I think) DT in the top 15. If one of them fell to the Broncos, I'd be elated.

But the o-linemen in this draft, are going to go in the first round, the top ranked anyway. I'd love to see Clady get drafted because he is a bruiser of a lineman. The Broncos could also trade down, get more picks and still draft a good o-lineman. It does seem the Broncos love to get the o-line in the later rounds though.

I still think DT is the BIGGEST priority the Broncos need to address, then address the offensive line after.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-05-2008, 04:31 AM

Broncos fans will want to get to know Niko Koutouvides, the Broncos' new middle linebacker, a position otherwise dubbed the Mike. As in, most likely, the Broncos' starting Mike.

The Broncos did not give Koutouvides a three-year, $7.5 million contract for the primary purpose of bolstering their special teams, much as they could use the help.

Nor did the 6-foot-2, 244-pound Koutouvides turn down a nearly identical offer from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and a standing matching offer from his former Seattle Seahawks so he could spend the next three years watching D.J. Williams from the sideline.

"I signed with Denver because of the opportunity to play middle linebacker," Kou- touvides said. "Tampa was pretty much looking at me to be their Sam (strongside) 'backer and back up at Mike. But I've been a middle linebacker all my life. I've extremely excited."

There is no announcement yet from Denver coach Mike Shanahan, but it appears Williams is moving back to the outside, where his preference would be the Will (weakside) position. Koutouvides, who backed up Pro Bowler Lofa Tatupu in Seattle, was recruited with the idea of becoming the Broncos' third starting middle linebacker in three years, after Williams and Al Wilson.

A special-teams standout during his four years in Seattle, Koutouvides is a ferocious hitter who got more playing time last season in the Seahawks' four-'backer packages.

The Broncos' third starting linebacker could be Boss Bailey, brother of star cornerback Champ Bailey. Boss is scheduled to visit Denver on Wednesday and Green Bay later in the week.

"The Broncos said in their perfect world they would like to move D.J. back to his more natural outside position," Kou- touvides said. "I didn't realize it until my visit that he had played all three linebacker positions in his four years here. I feel for the guy. It's tough to move around like that because you want to play on instinct. He's a phenomenal athlete to have been able to start at three positions like that."

In what sounds like a spinoff from the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," Koutouvides and his two older brothers grew up working as busboys at the Greek restaurant his father still operates in Farmington, Conn.

Naturally, the movie came up during his dinner visit at Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House with, among other Broncos luminaries, linebackers coach Jim Ryan and his wife, Sara.

"Coach Ryan's wife said it was her favorite movie," Kou- touvides. "The movie was pretty much right on, but they did exaggerate a few things. We really don't use Windex to heal, anymore

fcspikeit
03-05-2008, 04:43 AM

"Coach Ryan's wife said it was her favorite movie," Kou- touvides. "The movie was pretty much right on, but they did exaggerate a few things. We really don't use Windex to heal, anymore

Just knowing Gold wont be starting brings a smile to my face.. I have to say, if we get Bailey and our starting LB's next year are Dj, Niko and Boss, I will feel a lot better about the positions then I did going into last year...

Timmy!
03-05-2008, 06:24 AM

God do I miss Rod Smith :salute:

Hobe
03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah, this all sounds great, but HTF do you pronounce Koutouvides?

Lonestar
03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah, this all sounds great, but HTF do you pronounce Koutouvides?

koo too vedes

shank
03-06-2008, 12:35 AM
koo too vedes

i got koo too...

is it (phonetically)

vehdehs?
vaydehs?
veedes?
veedees?
vehds?

i think i'll stick with kootie

dogfish
03-06-2008, 02:10 AM
if he's any good, we'll all hear the announcers calling his name enough to get it down-- if he's not, it doesn't matter. . . .

xzn
03-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Some one already suggested a tite nickname if he's any good:

KO

shank
03-06-2008, 02:37 AM

KO

that's definitely tite*

fcspikeit
03-06-2008, 03:00 AM

KO

that's definitely tite

I have referred to him as that a couple times :D I like it, like K.O (Knock Out)

broncosfanscott
03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't really know anything about him however as long as he makes our LB corp better than last year and helps stop the run I'll be happy.

Using the one suggested by xzn we can go with Niko "KO" Koutouvides.

turftoad
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't really know anything about him however as long as he makes our LB corp better than last year and helps stop the run I'll be happy.

Using the one suggested by xzn we can go with Niko "KO" Koutouvides.

He needs to earn that nickname first.

atwater27
03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
True that!

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I think post 17 of this thread said KO

but till he earns that name... I think we should call him Kootie and the girls and Beef can call him cutie.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I remember in basic, we all had to report to our companys. My compnay was Delta compnay, but then we had to break down into our platoons. My platoon was called the Ragin Bulls. But when we first started our Drill told us that we will not be known as the Ragin Bulls that we be called the Tela Tubbies. It took almost all of basic and we had won almost every banner you could win till our drill called us Ragin Bulls instead of Tela Tubbies, but we earned it and it made us proud.

broncosfanscott
03-06-2008, 06:33 PM
He needs to earn that nickname first.

Very true and hopefully he will.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay.aspx?ID=5279

You can see and hear Kootie talk on this link... go to the bottom of the page and pick what media player you want to hear him in.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Post from Seahawk fans when asked about Kooite:

Post 1:
He's a great special teams player that will have an impact...He can be a starter someday but still needs a little bit of work to get there...

But the guy works hard and plays harder..he is a great pickup..and yeah he does have starter potential for one day.

Post 2:
Great pick-up for you guys. He was a monster on the Seahawks special teams the past few years. He trains at the same gym that I do in CT. and is always in fantastic shape. He is a big, strong, intelligent guy who only needs a chance to prove himself. He's young and has a lot of quality years ahead of him. Though I am not a Broncos fan, I have to say "Well done Broncos!"

Post 3:
you just got one of the best ST guys there are. He was one of the hardest hitters we had.

Good luck next season.

Post 4:
It sucks that the Hawks had to let this guy go. He was a leader on our special teams last season and when he missed a couple games near the end of the season our SP defence really suffered without him.

He has great potential to be a starter, but with Lofa in Seattle he wasn't going to get that chance unless he left.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
http://fargomonkey.blogspot.com/

Cool link with Kootie stuff

shank
03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
koo ta vee dees

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Niko.jpg

BOSSHOGG30
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I love the article about how Kootie ran over a blocker and Trent Dilfer went out to the field, had other lineman lay on the ground while Dilfer painted a chalk line around his body and they put the would be blocker's jersey number in the drawing and then when the linemen went to practice the next morning they busted on the veteran lineman because he was "killed" by Kootie...the rookie!

fcspikeit
03-07-2008, 03:30 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Niko.jpg

That's awesome! If he pans out I might put that in my sig :D

fcspikeit
03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Post from Seahawk fans when asked about Kooite:

Post 1:
He's a great special teams player that will have an impact...He can be a starter someday but still needs a little bit of work to get there...

But the guy works hard and plays harder..he is a great pickup..and yeah he does have starter potential for one day.

Post 2:
Great pick-up for you guys. He was a monster on the Seahawks special teams the past few years. He trains at the same gym that I do in CT. and is always in fantastic shape. He is a big, strong, intelligent guy who only needs a chance to prove himself. He's young and has a lot of quality years ahead of him. Though I am not a Broncos fan, I have to say "Well done Broncos!"

Post 3:
you just got one of the best ST guys there are. He was one of the hardest hitters we had.

Good luck next season.

Post 4:
It sucks that the Hawks had to let this guy go. He was a leader on our special teams last season and when he missed a couple games near the end of the season our SP defence really suffered without him.

He has great potential to be a starter, but with Lofa in Seattle he wasn't going to get that chance unless he left.

I liked the signing from day 1. But I am liking it more each day :D

I hope we Broncos fans have as many great things to say about him at the end of next season!! :salute:

shank
03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I liked the signing from day 1. But I am liking it more each day :D

I hope we Broncos fans have as many great things to say about him at the end of next season!! :salute:

i didn't like the signing at first because i was a bit enamored with landon johnson and domorrio williams (i also thought we overspent for a special teamer, now i have heard that he's potentially of starting quality)... both of them are olb though, so the path to moving DJ back to will couldn't go through either player.

after reading about him and hearing more opinions of koots, i feel more comfortable with the signing. I hope he can come in and decisively win the starting mike slot, and greatly outplay his salary... do it kootums!

claymore
03-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Plainville's Koutouvides Looks Forward To Playing With Broncos

Niko Koutouvides doesn't remember a time when he was on the field at Plainville High School when he thought he'd be counting his paychecks in the millions. Then again, he also never thought the NFL was a place where he would ever end up.

"It was always a dream to play in the NFL, but just that," Koutouvides said. "Realistically, back then, I never thought that would be me someday. In high school you're just playing because you love the game and you love your teammates."

Now Koutouvides, 26, is going to compete for a starting spot on the defense of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history.

A backup linebacker the last four seasons for the Seattle Seahawks, Koutouvides signed a three-year, $7.5 million deal March 3 with the Denver Broncos.

Koutouvides played primarily on special teams during his time with the Seahawks, backing up middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu the last three seasons.

"The most exciting thing for me with this new deal is having the opportunity to be able to start in the NFL," Koutouvides said. "I've been backing up a three-time Pro Bowl player for the last three years. When you have a contract you're loyal to that contract and you've got to do what you can to perform at your best ability no matter what role it is. I kind of took advantage of what I had with the special teams. Obviously every player wants to become a starter and that was my No. 1 goal, to see where would be the best opportunity for me to play and be a starter. That ended up being in Denver."

Last season, Koutouvides (6 feet 2, 238 pounds) finished fourth in the NFL with a career-high 20 tackles on special teams.

"It starts to get frustrating at a point but realistically you just always keep it in your head that you're only one play away from being a starter," Koutouvides said. "You've got to prepare yourself every week as a starter. If something happens you're the guy that's going in. Lofa did get banged up a little bit [in 2007] and I had to go in and play some. But my third year Lofa didn't miss one play the entire year. At times you get to Week 12 or Week 13 or 14 and you just want to go out there and play some defense because the only thing you're doing is special teams. I was a starter my whole life so to be a backup was tough."

Koutouvides, who was drafted by the Seahawks in the fourth round of the 2004 draft out of Purdue, said he had interest from Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Philadelphia and the Jets. He visited with the Buccaneers before deciding Denver was the best fit.

"Basically, the three best linebackers are going to play no matter who it is there," Koutouvides said. "D.J. Williams the last three years has played three different spots. They just signed Boss Bailey over there. Basically the middle position is kind of up for grabs, let the best player take the job. I felt the best opportunity to play and give myself a chance to be on the field was in Denver."

http://www.courant.com/sports/football/hc-niko0318.artmar18,0,65728.story

I really like this guy.

BOSSHOGG30
03-21-2008, 02:35 PM
I wonder if Kootie would of ever gotten a chance to start had he stayed in Seattle?

Seahawks signed MLB Lofa Tatupu to a six-year contract extension through 2015. The deal is worth just over $40 million, with $16 million guaranteed.

Tatupu, 25, has overcome below average measurables to be one of the NFL's top young MIKE linebackers. We'd put him behind DeMeco Ryans, Pat Willis, and Nick Barnett, but just ahead of E.J. Henderson, Jon Beason, and Kirk Morrison. Tatupu has totaled 100+ tackles in each of his three years. He had four interceptions, nine breakups, and three fumbles forced in 2007.
Source: ESPN.com

GEM
03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Kootie as you call him....is good lookin. :D

BOSSHOGG30
03-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks we are twins you know.........Oh you mean Niko Koutouvides... I though you were talking about a real kootie.... my bad.

GEM
03-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks we are twins you know.........Oh you mean Niko Koutouvides... I though you were talking about a real kootie.... my bad.

You'll have to post a pic and I'll let you know. :D

dogfish
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM

YOU'RE good lookin'. . . .

*whistles*

GEM
03-21-2008, 03:18 PM

*whistles*

Thank you Dog. :kiss:

NightTrainLayne
03-21-2008, 03:37 PM

*whistles*

Thank you Dog. :kiss:

But can you play the Mike LB?

SR
Am I the only one who read about this guy having potenital Jonathan Vilma type talent?

GEM
But can you play the Mike LB?

Not with the big boys, no.

I like playing receiver though. Badumbumching.

NightTrainLayne
03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Not with the big boys, no.

I like playing receiver though. Badumbumching.

You certainly have plenty of passes thrown your direction here. . .

GEM
03-21-2008, 03:48 PM
You certainly have plenty of passes thrown your direction here. . .

True. It's flattering. ;)

dogfish
03-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Am I the only one who read about this guy having potenital Jonathan Vilma type talent?

probably. . . i get distracted when GEM's around. . . .

GEM
03-21-2008, 03:53 PM

No, you are not. It has been said that he is actually pretty good, except he really hasn't been able to show it because of who he was playing behind. I have heard that he can be a monser tackler and has quite the motor. I'm hoping he is Vilma material minus the knee issue.

G_Money
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Okay, now that the image of GEM as either receiver or tight end is replaced by actual football in my brain...

They came out the same year, Vilma and Niko. Niko was that year's Jonathan Goff. Vilma was Dan Connor.

So is it possible that Niko can start? Sure it is. Behind Lofa, he just wasn't given the chance. If Carl Banks had been backing up Lawrence Taylor nobody would know Banks was a borderline HOFer in his own right because he couldn't get on the field.

I'm really curious about him. Good motor, good instincts in college IIRC, a warrior on the field...

I want to see if he can be a leader and react fast enough as the starting MLB to make the middle of our defense tougher. If he can't it's gonna be a long year. Let's hope the Broncos found their Banks.

I'd REALLY like the middle to be plugged this year.

~G

SR
03-21-2008, 04:15 PM
IMO, I think you'll see Niko starting at Mike this year with DJ back to Will and Boss over at Sam.

Lonestar
03-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Okay, now that the image of GEM as either receiver or tight end is replaced by actual football in my brain...

They came out the same year, Vilma and Niko. Niko was that year's Jonathan Goff. Vilma was Dan Connor.

So is it possible that Niko can start? Sure it is. Behind Lofa, he just wasn't given the chance. If Carl Banks had been backing up Lawrence Taylor nobody would know Banks was a borderline HOFer in his own right because he couldn't get on the field.

I'm really curious about him. Good motor, good instincts in college IIRC, a warrior on the field...

I want to see if he can be a leader and react fast enough as the starting MLB to make the middle of our defense tougher. If he can't it's gonna be a long year. Let's hope the Broncos found their Banks.

I'd REALLY like the middle to be plugged this year.

~G

NOW that you mention it..

G_Money
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
IMO, I think you'll see Niko starting at Mike this year with DJ back to Will and Boss over at Sam.

That's the pre-training-camp plan AFAIK. DJ is supposed to go back to Will (and hopefully back to being a monster), Boss will take over the strong-side, and we'll see what happens in the middle.

My guess is Webster and Niko will fight it out with the winner starting and the loser being banished to special teams. MLB is more Webster's position anyway. I don't like Nate as a full-time player, but maybe a more natural position will help him. And he can certainly cover tight ends (there's that phrase again) as well as any LB on the team.

~G

SR
03-21-2008, 04:26 PM
That's the pre-training-camp plan AFAIK. DJ is supposed to go back to Will (and hopefully back to being a monster), Boss will take over the strong-side, and we'll see what happens in the middle.

My guess is Webster and Niko will fight it out with the winner starting and the loser being banished to special teams. MLB is more Webster's position anyway. I don't like Nate as a full-time player, but maybe a more natural position will help him. And he can certainly cover tight ends (there's that phrase again) as well as any LB on the team.

~G

I like Webster's intensity and ability to knock the snot out of people, but I really hope Niko blossoms. He's got some real talent from what I've read, so I really hope he shines in camp and can take that starting Mike spot. We need a REAL MLB.

GEM
03-21-2008, 04:27 PM

You really read between the lines don't you! :lol:

G_Money
03-21-2008, 04:30 PM
No argument from me, Red. :beer:

~G

SR
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
No argument from me, Red. :beer:

~G

Thanks. Seems with the Lounge and all the goofy posts going around I've forgotten about "Broncos Talk". :tsk:

G_Money
03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
This time of year sucks for football. Yes there are FAs, but if you aren't signing any (or they're just depth signings) there's not a lot to talk about.

We need new info.

There's only so many times I can click on this stupid Robertson thread hoping for news of any stripe.

Have I mentioned I dislike this time of year?

It's not like the time after the draft is so exciting, but at least we have actual facts to argue about.

Post-combine, Pre-draft just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.

~G

SR
03-21-2008, 04:47 PM
No shit. It'll be nice once mini-camps start, then eventually training camp and pre-season.

At least with the NHL, there's only three months between the end of the Stanley Cup Finals and the beginning of pre-season.

pnbronco
03-21-2008, 05:09 PM

OK SR and G, I asked for a thread about this but I don't think there is one yet. For those of you that don't know I am a women that loves the game of football but do not know that many terms. So what is a Mike and Will and a Sam? Why is DJ a better Will. I can hardly wait till camp is back and I totally agree about hockey, it's so nice to not have so much down time.

SR
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Mike, Sam, and Will are the names for the different linebacker positions.

Sam - Strong Side
Mike - Middle
Will - Weak Side

DJ is a natural weak side linebacker and excells at that position. Shanny moved him to Mike last off-season due to the departure of Al Wilson. They think (and it's true) that he has the natural ability to play the Mike position and be damn good at it. He did finish second in the league in tackles, but not many of them were 'eye popping' or fitting if a true Mike. DJ has also stated that he can't stand playing Sam.

pnbronco
03-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Mike, Sam, and Will are the names for the different linebacker positions.

Sam - Strong Side
Mike - Middle
Will - Weak Side

DJ is a natural weak side linebacker and excells at that position. Shanny moved him to Mike last off-season due to the departure of Al Wilson. They think (and it's true) that he has the natural ability to play the Mike position and be damn good at it. He did finish second in the league in tackles, but not many of them were 'eye popping' or fitting if a true Mike. DJ has also stated that he can't stand playing Sam.

Thanks SR, just one more thing. Does the Sam and Will have anything to do with left or right, remember I have never played Madden...

SR
03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks SR, just one more thing. Does the Sam and Will have anything to do with left or right, remember I have never played Madden...

Don't worry, I've never played Madden either...at least not since the original came out for Super Nintendo back in 1991 or 1992.

Usually in a zone defense, or the Tampa 2, which we've been accused of using, the "Sam" linebacker will cover the side of the field the Tight End is on. If the TE runs a route, usually the Sam linebacker will cover him while the Will covers the other side to watch for a run and keep the runner from escaping the edge on that side of the field.

gobroncsnv
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Usually, the SAM (strong side) usually lines up across the tight end in the offense formation, typically referring to match the more traditional single tight end set. Very general rule of thumb, just matching up with the "extra" blocker, or covering if the TE goes out in the pass pattern.

G_Money
03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Further elaboration:

Sam = strong-side LB (it starts with an S). The strong side is the side with the tight end on it. More blockers = a stronger side. He usually covers the TE and has to fight through an extra blocker to get to either the RB or the QB, so he makes fewer tackles and is usually a bigger linebacker.

Will = weak-side LB (starts with a W). No extra blocker on this side unless it's a two tight-end set, which makes it easier to get to the QB. Normally a blitzing LB and can be smaller and faster because there's not a 270 pound TE waiting to crush him - any blocker he faces is usually a FB or RB, more his size.

~G

pnbronco
03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. Also thank you for being so nice about it. All of you have so much wisdom to share and I really appreciate it.

fcspikeit
03-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Dude whats the deal? I thought I was the only one who seen that... It just goes to show you, not even talk about football can change a guys mindset once it's set in motion :D

pnbronco
03-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I think post 17 of this thread said KO

but till he earns that name... I think we should call him Kootie and the girls and Beef can call him cutie.

Hey Boss that works for me, cutie it is. :D

Npba900
03-25-2008, 05:54 AM

I like the fact that Kootie's attittude is to come in and wants to compete for a starting spot as MLB!!! That's probably music to DJ's ears.

Brand
03-25-2008, 07:21 AM
This may actually be the more significant signing of the off season, excepting potential draftees. I was not at all displeased with Williams' efforts, but he is a terror in the Will position.

claymore
03-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Difficult name, tough-guy principles
Niko Koutouvides has the necessary skills, but not the experience to persuade hesitant fans.
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/29/2008 01:06:11 AM MDT

Niko Koutouvides had the look of a good linebacker with the Seattle Seahawks, but he was mainly a special-teams standout while playing behind Pro Bowl selection Lofa Tatupu. (Jeff T. Green, The Associated Press )It's the middle of the offseason, Marquand Manuel. Do you know who your starting middle linebacker is?

"Koutouvides?"

Manuel had been around Niko Koutouvides for only a few days, and already knew how to pronounce his name. Amazing, simply amazing.

Or not.

"I played in Seattle with him for two years," Manuel said.

The rest of the Broncos will have to get to know Koutouvides, a career special-teamer who backed up Pro Bowler Lofa Tatupu in Seattle and looks to get first shot at manning the middle this season. The Broncos are banking on those humble roots producing a take-charge guy, one who can shore up the league's 30th-ranked run defense.

But first, everyone needs to know how to pronounce his name. It's Koo-tuh-VEE-deez.

And for those slow to the take?

"No worries," Koutouvides said. "It's been torched up a few times in my career, so don't worry. Niko is probably the easiest way. It's nice and easy that way."

OK, now that we have that straightened out, we can move on to all those questions out there.

Koutouvides hears you, Bronco Nation. He knows you're wondering about a career backup playing such an important position.

"I understand," he said. "People are going to talk and say, 'He hasn't started a game, so why should we be confident in him?' The perception is, 'He's a backup player in Seattle for four years, so what will he do as a starter?' That's why talking about it in March isn't going to get anything done. Let the game play itself out and let the play on the field do most of the talking."

Koutouvides said he hasn't been guaranteed anything by the coaches, but the plan is for him to become the middle linebacker, with last year's starter, D.J. Williams, moving back to the weak side and newcomer Boss Bailey taking over on the strong side.

Williams had 170 tackles during his one-year experiment in the middle. Koutouvides? He has 112 in four NFL seasons, most on special teams. Things happen when you're stuck on the depth chart behind one of the league's premier linebackers, one who recently signed a six-year, $42 million contract.

"In reality, my teammates and coaches in Seattle had all the confidence in the world for me being the starter," Koutouvides said.

"They just knew, being under the contract situation I was in, my hands were tied. I tell a lot of people that Lofa's a selfish player. It takes a bulldozer to get him off the field. He never wants to come off, no matter what."

Now, after doing more watching than playing with the Seahawks, Koutouvides will get his chance to show he can be a difference maker on the Broncos' defense.

"Last year, there were some struggles on the defensive side of the ball. They were looking for new pieces to come in here to get this team back rolling to what it's done in the past," Koutouvides said.

"Some struggles" is putting it kindly, said Champ Bailey, the Broncos' resident all-pro cornerback.

"We have to tackle better," Bailey said. "We tackled very badly last year. We have to play better defense against the run. No big plays. That's one thing we pride ourselves on — no big plays — and we gave up too many last year."

If tackling is the problem, Koutouvides believes he's the solution.

"My style is more of an aggressive, physical linebacker, especially in the run game," he said. "I like to throw my nose in there a lot, kind of play a little angry out there, with a chip on my shoulder. And I'm kind of a vocal guy. I like to do a little talking."

Aggressive? Physical? Kind of a vocal guy? Sounds like the defensive leader the Broncos have been looking for since Al Wilson's departure.

But only time will tell if Koutouvides is that player. And he knows it.

"It's tough for me being in this situation and telling you all these great things, when the only way it will be settled and done is in practice and getting it done on the field."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8737567

r8rh8r
03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't think Koutouvides or Winborn are a long term solution at MLB. Koutouvides is a special teams standout and an adept tackler as a straight-line player; however, he's never shown great ability to be a positional player. He adds great depth at a needed position, but he's not going to lead the team in tackles.

I think MLB is a top draft priority for Denver this year. The class isn't deep, but there are some first day players that could make an impact this year. Dan Conner's name is mentioned liberally, but I don't think he'll be a Bronco. For one, Conner is not anywhere near 12th overall pick value or money. Also, Conner isn't a leader, he's not a film rat, and he has some character flags. I don't think Denver will overlook that.

One player who has received less attention that I think will be a great player in the NFL is Curtis Lofton from Oklahoma. Lofton is durable, big, an aggressive hard hitter, has a nose for the ball, has great hands, he's a complete package. His 4.79 40 time made some scouts scoff at the combine; however, he's got phenomenal lower body strength (6'0" 246lbs) and probably plays faster in pads than his 40 time might suggest. He's a second round talent; I'd love to see Denver draft him.

There's a video here: Curtis Lofton Highlight Video (http://rockymountainfever.blogspot.com/2008/03/manning-middle.html)

D.J. is the best linebacker on our roster, but he's not a long term solution at MLB. D.J.'s talent is his quickness and tackling ability. He's got below-average coverage skills (something a WLB isn't called on to do very often). In 2006, he came out of the game in Nickle and Dime packages and didn't see a lot of snaps on passing downs. Because he's among our best athletes, there was a lot of criticism of this strategy. I think it keeps him fresh. He's simply not a good player in a phone booth and needs to be able to make impact plays in space. If we can find a solution at MLB, we'll be a better team with D.J. back at his natural position.

HolyDiver
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. Also thank you for being so nice about it. All of you have so much wisdom to share and I really appreciate it.

Hey, do you know Bronconut? ................j/k

BOSSHOGG30
03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think Koutouvides or Winborn are a long term solution at MLB. Koutouvides is a special teams standout and an adept tackler as a straight-line player; however, he's never shown great ability to be a positional player. He adds great depth at a needed position, but he's not going to lead the team in tackles.

I think MLB is a top draft priority for Denver this year. The class isn't deep, but there are some first day players that could make an impact this year. Dan Conner's name is mentioned liberally, but I don't think he'll be a Bronco. For one, Conner is not anywhere near 12th overall pick value or money. Also, Conner isn't a leader, he's not a film rat, and he has some character flags. I don't think Denver will overlook that.

One player who has received less attention that I think will be a great player in the NFL is Curtis Lofton from Oklahoma. Lofton is durable, big, an aggressive hard hitter, has a nose for the ball, has great hands, he's a complete package. His 4.79 40 time made some scouts scoff at the combine; however, he's got phenomenal lower body strength (6'0" 246lbs) and probably plays faster in pads than his 40 time might suggest. He's a second round talent; I'd love to see Denver draft him.

There's a video here: Curtis Lofton Highlight Video (http://rockymountainfever.blogspot.com/2008/03/manning-middle.html)

D.J. is the best linebacker on our roster, but he's not a long term solution at MLB. D.J.'s talent is his quickness and tackling ability. He's got below-average coverage skills (something a WLB isn't called on to do very often). In 2006, he came out of the game in Nickle and Dime packages and didn't see a lot of snaps on passing downs. Because he's among our best athletes, there was a lot of criticism of this strategy. I think it keeps him fresh. He's simply not a good player in a phone booth and needs to be able to make impact plays in space. If we can find a solution at MLB, we'll be a better team with D.J. back at his natural position.

I think Lofton is the best MLB in the entire draft. I also like Mayo and Connor.

HolyDiver
03-31-2008, 11:59 AM
I think Lofton is the best MLB in the entire draft. I also like Mayo and Connor.

I watched a few Oklahoma games just to isolate on Lofton............I like him alot too. That's another reason I hope we can trade picks with Dallas, giving them our #12 and getting thier #22 and #29 I think it is...........Trade one of the #1's for two #2's............giving us three #2's to take Laws, Lofton and Pat Sims.................I wouldn't give a damn what we did with the remaining #1 at that point.