PDA

View Full Version : Broncos leaning toward Martindale, not Pees

broncofaninfla
01-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Broncos leaning toward Martindale, not Pees

Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2010 10:40 AM ET
Though it initially appeared that the Broncos would replace defensive coordinator Mike Nolan with former Pats defensive coordinator Dean Pees, the Denver Post reports that Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale "appears to be the choice" for the job.

The Post also reports that Patriots linebackers coach Matt Patricia also received consideration or the position in Denver. It's unknown, however, whether the Broncos requested permission to interview Patricia. Assuming Patricia is still under contract, the Pats could have refused to let him sit for the job in Denver -- especially since he's under consideration to replace Pees in New England.

Martindale never has worked as a defensive coordinator at the NFL level. In 2003, he served as defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky.

Hoser
01-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Nice. I was hoping for an inside hire to be honest. Creates more stability and several defensive guys were suggesting he be the hire.

Hopefully he's not another Slowik :laugh:

titan
01-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Vic Lombardi of channel 4 is saying this too - latest tweet:

VicLombardi
9:15am, Jan 23 from UberTwitter
I'm told Martindale is 90-percent likely to get the DC job. No confirmation from Broncos however.

========

I'm fine with Martindale. Kind of keeps with the theme when the team hired McDaniels - put young up and coming coaches in key positions. I will miss Nolan as I think he did a great job, though I wonder who was really the architect behind the impact defensive free agent acquisitions last season? (davis, hill, dawkins, etc) If it was McDaniels the defense will be ok.

Northman
01-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Sounds more promising.

Ziggy
01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I hope that other than the Fields pickup, that it was McD who brought in all of the impact free agents on D last season. Dawkins certainly gave McD credit for 'selling him on the Kool-aid'. Even though the defensive line was improved last season, it was by no means a top line. If some talent isn't brought in here to address it this offseason, it doesn't matter who the D coordinator is, they'll be fighting a losing battle in the long run. If we don't make at least 2 big improvements on the line, it'll be another year of the d wearing down towards the end of the season and collapsing. You could bring in Dick Labeau, and without talent along the line he would have an average D at best.

Hoser
01-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I hope that other than the Fields pickup, that it was McD who brought in all of the impact free agents on D last season. Dawkins certainly gave McD credit for 'selling him on the Kool-aid'. Even though the defensive line was improved last season, it was by no means a top line. If some talent isn't brought in here to address it this offseason, it doesn't matter who the D coordinator is, they'll be fighting a losing battle in the long run. If we don't make at least 2 big improvements on the line, it'll be another year of the d wearing down towards the end of the season and collapsing. You could bring in Dick Labeau, and without talent along the line he would have an average D at best.

Jarvis Green from the Pats would be a good starter at DE. He's a FA so maybe we'll throw enough money at him to bring him here.

I'd also like to target Dan Williams in the draft for our NT of the future and Tyson Alualu for a future starter at DE.

Hoser
01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
This does make me a little sad though...

I was hoping to see a headline reading...

McDaniels: Pees on D

:laugh:

shank
01-23-2010, 12:45 PM
This does make me a little sad though...

I was hoping to see a headline reading...

McDaniels: Pees on D

:laugh:

i already have a notepad with a multitude of urine jokes as well.

none of them are good though... so i'm rooting for martindale

MasterShake
01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
i already have a notepad with a multitude of urine jokes as well.

none of them are good though... so i'm rooting for martindale

Like, Mcdaniels says, "Nolan your out, Pees Urine!"
Ok.... I go nothing...

broncofaninfla
01-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Jarvis Green from the Pats would be a good starter at DE. He's a FA so maybe we'll throw enough money at him to bring him here.

I'd also like to target Dan Williams in the draft for our NT of the future and Tyson Alualu for a future starter at DE.

Enough with going after Patriots, Denver is already doing things the Patriot way, that's enough for me, I don't want even more former Patriots added to the mix. I'm a Broncos fan not a Patriots fan. There are plenty of free agents available this year that aren't Patriots.

I do like your draft targets though, both are studs.

Even though it's a step down from Nolan, I would still be happy with Martindale over Pees. He was a hell of a coach at Oakland and did a hell of a job with us last season. Hopefully it happens.

Ziggy
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Enough with going after Patriots, Denver is already doing things the Patriot way, that's enough for me, I don't want even more former Patriots added to the mix. I'm a Broncos fan not a Patriots fan. There are plenty of free agents available this year that aren't Patriots.

I do like your draft targets though, both are studs.

Even though it's a step down from Nolan, I would still be happy with Martindale over Pees. He was a hell of a coach at Oakland and did a hell of a job with us last season. Hopefully it happens.

So if the Broncos could bring in Vince Wilfork at a decent price you'd pass because he was a Patriot to begin with?

Nomad
01-23-2010, 02:01 PM
So if the Broncos could bring in Vince Wilfork at a decent price you'd pass because he was a Patriot to begin with?

Whose better him or the dude from the Packers??

Ziggy
01-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Whose better him or the dude from the Packers??

Wilfork is not only better, but 3 years younger and just entering his prime.

broncofaninfla
01-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Wilfork is not only better, but 3 years younger and just entering his prime.

Yeah but Rice ran all over Wilfork and the safe scheme patriots defense headed up by Pees. Wilfork is a great lineman but will come at too great a cost.

broncofaninfla
01-23-2010, 02:57 PM

At a decent price hell yeah, thing is, it won't be anything near a decent price.

Ziggy
01-23-2010, 03:06 PM
NT is the single most important position in the 3-4 D. I don't know who the Broncos are going to bring in, but overpaying is fine with me to get the best in the business at that position.

arapaho2
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
i would like to see wilfork..even though he is dirty..or was that seymour

as for martindale..id take him also...he's now coached under nolan....so he knows what worked and what didnt or needs help...players seem to like him and swear by him

but theres also this voice whispering in my ear:listen:

remember champ bailey fully endorsed slowick for DC too!!

pnbronco
01-23-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm acutally enjoying the pee jokes, so fake headlines works for me.

Actually I'm enjoying this whole threadk, that kind of scares me.....:eek:

(Dog this is your strength...pee jokes away.....:D)