PDA

View Full Version : Statistics

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I got this from Mason's Blog and thought you all might be interested in it. It looks like Ernster has gotten the better of Sauerbrun.

Bon giorno from Colorado with a couple of statistical nuggets that I was going to get to last night before I got detoured into some behind-the-scenes site work …

TALKING PUNTERS: We touched upon the punting/kickoff competition in the Saturday night pregame entry, and here’s how Paul Ernster and Todd Sauerbrun now stand statistically with one game remaining:

KICKOFFS:

AVERAGE LENGTH: Ernster 72.4 yards, Sauerbrun 69.5 yards (note — I counted the actual distance of Ernster’s game-opening wallop against Cleveland, which was approximately 85 yards, as it landed five yards behind the touchline in the back of the end zone).
TOUCHBACK PERCENTAGE: Ernster 50.0 percent, Sauerbrun 50.0 percent.
AVERAGE DRIVE-START POSITION AFTER KICKOFFS: Ernster DEN 25.5; Sauerbrun DEN 26.0.
SHORTEST KICKOFFS: Ernster 63 yards, Sauerbrun 61 yards.

PUNTS:

AVERAGE LENGTH: Ernster 45.0 yards, Sauerbrun 40.4 yards
NET AVERAGE: Ernster 41.7, Sauerbrun 33.3
PUNTS INSIDE THE 20: Ernster 3, Sauerbrun 1.
TOUCHBACKS: Ernster 0, Sauerbrun 2.
SHORTEST PUNTS: Ernster 33 yards, Sauerbrun 15.

Ernster’s net punting average places him fifth in the league this preseason, behind Pittsburgh’s Mike Barr, Carolina’s Jason Baker, New Orleans’ Steven Weatherford and Houston’s Chad Stanley. His inside-the-20 percentage of 50.0 percent places him tied for sixth in the league among punters with at least 5 punts this preseason; Ernster has six so far. Sauerbrun’s statistics are based off of a total of nine punts.

CUTLER’S RANKING: After quarterback Jay Cutler’s solid night against the Browns on Saturday — 9-of-16 passing for 115 yards, a touchdown and a 99.7 passer rating — I wondered where he stood among his starting-quarterback brethren as far as his preseason passer rating.

The answer? Somewhere in the middle third.

Cutler’s preseason rating of 85.0 places him 18th among the starters, behind names like Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart but ahead of others such as Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger, Vince Young and Marc Bulger — whose 51.0 rating belies his lofty status in many fantasy-football drafts, where he is generally among the more coveted passers.

Here’s all the preseason passer ratings for the likely opening-day starters around the league:

Peyton Manning, Colts: 126.1
Philip Rivers, Chargers: 117.3
Jon Kitna, Lions: 115.0
Matt Leinart, Cardinals: 114.3
Matt Schaub, Texans: 113.4
Daunte Culpepper, Raiders: 112.2
Eli Manning, Giants: 111.3
Drew Brees, Saints: 107.5
Alex Smith, 49ers: 103.9
Carson Palmer, Bengals: 96.1
Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks: 95.6
Steve McNair, Ravens: 92.6
Joey Harrington, Falcons: 92.5
Rex Grossman, Bears: 91.5
Tom Brady, Patriots: 91.1
Tony Romo, Cowboys: 89.7
Donovan McNabb, Eagles: 89.2
Jay Cutler, Broncos: 85.0
Vince Young, Titans: 83.6
Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: 83.5
Brett Favre, Packers: 82.3
Jeff Garcia, Buccaneers: 81.5
Jason Campbell, Redskins: 81.4
Jake Delhomme, Panthers: 80.7
Byron Leftwitch, Jaguars: 77.3
Tarvaris Jackson, Vikings: 76.8
Charlie Frye, Browns: 76.6
J.P. Losman, Bills: 72.4
Chad Pennington, Jets: 51.6
Marc Bulger, Rams: 51.0
Trent Green, Dolphins: 47.9
Damon Huard, Chiefs: 29.6

One more practice later today, and we’ll have coverage … until then, vaya con Dios.

arapaho2
08-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I got this from Mason's Blog and thought you all might be interested in it. It looks like Ernster has gotten the better of Sauerbrun.

Bon giorno from Colorado with a couple of statistical nuggets that I was going to get to last night before I got detoured into some behind-the-scenes site work …

TALKING PUNTERS: We touched upon the punting/kickoff competition in the Saturday night pregame entry, and here’s how Paul Ernster and Todd Sauerbrun now stand statistically with one game remaining:

KICKOFFS:

AVERAGE LENGTH: Ernster 72.4 yards, Sauerbrun 69.5 yards (note — I counted the actual distance of Ernster’s game-opening wallop against Cleveland, which was approximately 85 yards, as it landed five yards behind the touchline in the back of the end zone).
TOUCHBACK PERCENTAGE: Ernster 50.0 percent, Sauerbrun 50.0 percent.
AVERAGE DRIVE-START POSITION AFTER KICKOFFS: Ernster DEN 25.5; Sauerbrun DEN 26.0.
SHORTEST KICKOFFS: Ernster 63 yards, Sauerbrun 61 yards.

PUNTS:

AVERAGE LENGTH: Ernster 45.0 yards, Sauerbrun 40.4 yards
NET AVERAGE: Ernster 41.7, Sauerbrun 33.3
PUNTS INSIDE THE 20: Ernster 3, Sauerbrun 1.
TOUCHBACKS: Ernster 0, Sauerbrun 2.
SHORTEST PUNTS: Ernster 33 yards, Sauerbrun 15.

Ernster’s net punting average places him fifth in the league this preseason, behind Pittsburgh’s Mike Barr, Carolina’s Jason Baker, New Orleans’ Steven Weatherford and Houston’s Chad Stanley. His inside-the-20 percentage of 50.0 percent places him tied for sixth in the league among punters with at least 5 punts this preseason; Ernster has six so far. Sauerbrun’s statistics are based off of a total of nine punts.

CUTLER’S RANKING: After quarterback Jay Cutler’s solid night against the Browns on Saturday — 9-of-16 passing for 115 yards, a touchdown and a 99.7 passer rating — I wondered where he stood among his starting-quarterback brethren as far as his preseason passer rating.

The answer? Somewhere in the middle third.

Cutler’s preseason rating of 85.0 places him 18th among the starters, behind names like Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart but ahead of others such as Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger, Vince Young and Marc Bulger — whose 51.0 rating belies his lofty status in many fantasy-football drafts, where he is generally among the more coveted passers.

Here’s all the preseason passer ratings for the likely opening-day starters around the league:

Peyton Manning, Colts: 126.1
Philip Rivers, Chargers: 117.3
Jon Kitna, Lions: 115.0
Matt Leinart, Cardinals: 114.3
Matt Schaub, Texans: 113.4
Daunte Culpepper, Raiders: 112.2
Eli Manning, Giants: 111.3
Drew Brees, Saints: 107.5
Alex Smith, 49ers: 103.9
Carson Palmer, Bengals: 96.1
Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks: 95.6
Steve McNair, Ravens: 92.6
Joey Harrington, Falcons: 92.5
Rex Grossman, Bears: 91.5
Tom Brady, Patriots: 91.1
Tony Romo, Cowboys: 89.7
Donovan McNabb, Eagles: 89.2
Jay Cutler, Broncos: 85.0
Vince Young, Titans: 83.6
Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: 83.5
Brett Favre, Packers: 82.3
Jeff Garcia, Buccaneers: 81.5
Jason Campbell, Redskins: 81.4
Jake Delhomme, Panthers: 80.7
Byron Leftwitch, Jaguars: 77.3
Tarvaris Jackson, Vikings: 76.8
Charlie Frye, Browns: 76.6
J.P. Losman, Bills: 72.4
Chad Pennington, Jets: 51.6
Marc Bulger, Rams: 51.0
Trent Green, Dolphins: 47.9
Damon Huard, Chiefs: 29.6

One more practice later today, and we’ll have coverage … until then, vaya con Dios.

whats funny is huard at 29.6 was just named the starter for the chiefs,,,talk about herms great decision capabilities:D

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
whats funny is huard at 29.6 was just named the starter for the chiefs,,,talk about herms great decision capabilities:D

Herm has never been about having a prolific offense.

topscribe
08-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I just hope Ernster isn't a preseason wonder who chokes down the road, as he
was before. However, perhaps he has matured and will keep it up. I knew he
had an explosive leg when we first got him. He has just needed to develop
consistency.

I think Cutler would have been way higher, had a bunch of the WRs and
Scheffler not been out, and the OL likewise not been decimated by injuries.
Look at what Cutler did in the second quarter against Cleveland, once it
dawned on him Marshall was in the game. But Scheff and Stokley were still
showing their rust.

A QB is largely at the mercy of his weapons. The weapons Leinart has, for
instance, would make the Cardinals seem as if it possessed a cannon against
a popgun. Same with Peyton Manning. I think, once all cylinders are firing
among his receivers, Cutler will be scary good. But I do hope he keeps
working hard at the short stuff.

-----

Lonestar
08-28-2007, 12:57 PM
consistency.

showing their rust.

-----

Well I'm glad someone else said that, cause had I another war would have erupted on that one.

I'm not all that concerned about how they stack up in preseason.

What concerns me is the upcoming season. I still think that to many biggee changes are being done to be ultra successfull early in the year. It may be mid season before they all mesh together. Could be alot of real close wins or for that matter losses before they come together.

Now I fell asleep last night watching the Bronco/ Browns game but what I remember was not pretty. Will have to watch it again.

Last but not east I hope that mikey keeps one punter and one K/O guy and that they are different guys. I do not trust ernster as each time he has competed for a job he was great only to become mediocre after the job threat was gone. I do not trust him to boom them if Tod is not around. Todd seemed to have one bad game, I suspect that it was an aberration not him losing it.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
consistency.

showing their rust.

-----

Who knows Shanahan may still pick Sauerbrun. It doesn't matter to me who wins as long the guy can do the job.

However if I were to favor anyone it would still be Ernster, because Sauerbrun has never been a very good directional punter and unless he has room to boom it he more times than not will punt the ball through the end zone.

Broncos Mtnman
08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
It doesn't matter to me who wins as long the guy can do the job.

Ever see the movie "Joe vs The Volcano?" Your words reminded me of his boss in the beginning of the movie. He was always saying....

"I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?"

Funny stuff, but I digress.... lol

Seriously, that scene could be Shanny on the phone to the special teams coach, talking about Ernster.

He showed last year he could get the job, but he couldn't do the job.

Still, he did look good Saturday against Cleveland, while Big Leg Todd looked pathetic the week before in Dallas.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Ever see the movie "Joe vs The Volcano?" Your words reminded me of his boss in the beginning of the movie. He was always saying....

"I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?"

Funny stuff, but I digress.... lol

Seriously, that scene could be Shanny on the phone to the special teams coach, talking about Ernster.

He showed last year he could get the job, but he couldn't do the job.

Still, he did look good Saturday against Cleveland, while Big Leg Todd looked pathetic the week before in Dallas.

Todd also punted one through the back of the end zone last Saturday as well. Todd has powerful leg but pooching the ball just isn't his forte.

frenchfan
08-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm wondering why if Ernster was ahead of Todd he was finally cut?
May be Shanahan doens't trust him for the season?
Any thoughts guys?

BroncoSexyDaddy
08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm wondering why if Ernster was ahead of Todd he was finally cut?
May be Shanahan doens't trust him for the season?
Any thoughts guys?It seems last season when the two had their competetion Ernster kicked good,but when the season started Ernster went down hill.He's great on kickoffs and thats about it.Shanny probably didnt trust him this season,the writing was basically on the wall for Enster when we signed Saurbrun again.

frenchfan
08-29-2007, 09:00 AM
It seems last season when the two had their competeting Ernster kicked good,but when the season started Ernster went down hill.He's great on kickoffs and thats about it.Shanny probably didnt trust him this season,the writing was basically on the wall for Enster when we signed Saurbrun again.I agree... And even Ernster told that in an article I've read in the Denver Post...

BroncoSexyDaddy
08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Well I'm glad someone else said that, cause had I another war would have erupted on that one.

I'm not all that concerned about how they stack up in preseason.

What concerns me is the upcoming season. I still think that to many biggee changes are being done to be ultra successfull early in the year. It may be mid season before they all mesh together. Could be alot of real close wins or for that matter losses before they come together.

Now I fell asleep last night watching the Bronco/ Browns game but what I remember was not pretty. Will have to watch it again.

Last but not east I hope that mikey keeps one punter and one K/O guy and that they are different guys. I do not trust ernster as each time he has competed for a job he was great only to become mediocre after the job threat was gone. I do not trust him to boom them if Tod is not around. Todd seemed to have one bad game, I suspect that it was an aberration not him losing it.To me JR, it cant be much worsier adding different people to the mix we are a 9-7 team that didnt make the playoffs last season and we will always be that, untill me make the playoffs and show we are better than we was last season.I hope this team is better than last season.

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 09:34 AM
To me JR, it cant be much worsier adding different people to the mix we are a 9-7 team that didnt make the playoffs last season and we will always be that, untill me make the playoffs and show we are better than we was last season.I hope this team is better than last season.

I think unless the stars and moons line up just right this team will do worse than last year way to many changes in personnel to be great right off the bat.

I truly hope I am wrong, but the defense really has me worried and the OL is going to take a bit a of time to get to know each other. Those guys have to be a well oiled group and I'm not sure they are on a first name basis yet.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Didn't Ernster get the boot ( no pun intended ) on first cuts? Or am I mistaken?

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Didn't Ernster get the boot ( no pun intended ) on first cuts? Or am I mistaken?

Yes he was one of the first cuts.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Ernster would have been a fine punter for us this year, but Todd is a quality guy and when the game counts, he does well. He's not an excellent pooch guy, but he can drill it when it matters and his experience is probably what led to him being here and Ernster being gone. I liked Ernster, and maybe down the road he could come back. There's just no room to carry two punters and a kicker on any NFL team. It's not that Ernster is bad, it's just that Todd is better.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Ernster would have been a fine punter for us this year, but Todd is a quality guy and when the game counts, he does well. He's not an excellent pooch guy, but he can drill it when it matters and his experience is probably what led to him being here and Ernster being gone. I liked Ernster, and maybe down the road he could come back. There's just no room to carry two punters and a kicker on any NFL team. It's not that Ernster is bad, it's just that Todd is better.

And to add to that....what we have seen in the past is winning the field position battle is important for this team. Needing a booming punt at the right time when our offense is backed up is more important then a pooch punt inside the 10 yard line.

broncosinindy
08-29-2007, 11:10 PM
todd is a veteran i think he can get the job done... i hope...

Retired_Member_001
08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
And to add to that....what we have seen in the past is winning the field position battle is important for this team. Needing a booming punt at the right time when our offense is backed up is more important then a pooch punt inside the 10 yard line.

I agree.

Some of Ernster's punts put alot of pressure on our own defense. It is very important to have a punter who can boom it away ESPECIALLY in a critical position. I definitley think Ernster can BECOME a very good punter but at the moment Todd was definitley a safer choice. Field position can give you an extra advantage or disadvantage.