PDA

View Full Version : Gut Feelings - Tom Brandstater.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey guys, I want to know what all of you think of Brandstater as a future prospect. We've seen almost nothing, a few preseason games, Fresno State games, but almost nobody talks about him in the media - he was a 6th round pick. Mcdaniels hasn't mentioned him ever, so what's your gut feeling?

I know he doesn't have a super-arm and his throws are a tad wobbly but I think he comes off as intelligent and coachable, and his mobility isn't bad.

I think i'd like to see alot more of him so i'll be going to the home preseason games this year - What do you guys think about the Brandstater?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/o6jaycutler/Broncos/brandstater_transparent.png

CoachChaz
01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
I wasnt thrilled about him when he was drafted, but I guess it's hard to be too picky over a 6th rounder. I foresee McD looking at guys like Canfield and LeFevour in later rounds and Brandstater being a back-up until he's no longer in the league.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dynastyrogues.com/img/players/TomBrandstater.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dynastyrogues.com/article/%3Fid%3D81&usg=__oubuiIWc7w1OkrmOIsQcIFK4wh8=&h=157&w=105&sz=9&hl=en&start=11&sig2=xuBZTLv7gBXVtsW4bq5SWg&itbs=1&tbnid=oDjj1WPEZbREnM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=65&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtom%2Bbrandstater%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den %26safe%3Doff&ei=gwFaS6GSDaSltgfO4YGYAg

He even looks like a quarterback

Tom Brandstater - Tom Brandstater is the quintessential QB3 for a team. He is too raw to play but a perfect QB to groom, a high-risk, high-reward type. He was a three-year starter at Fresno State and has all the raw tools needed to play at the next level with outstanding size (6'5"). He would be overwhelmed if pressed into duty for some reason as a rookie however. The skinny on him coming out of college (and why he fell to the 6th round) is he needs to learn how to better progress through reads and look-off coverages. He left college with a less-than-impressive 59% career completion percentage.

MileHighCrew
01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I think he is a huge project and could be the player McDainels was taking about when he said they were not as prepared for the draft last year as he would have liked. He could be a good player, but to thnk he is a Tom Brady player is not realistic. I hope I am wrong but I think he is more Van Pelt than Brady.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I wasnt thrilled about him when he was drafted, but I guess it's hard to be too picky over a 6th rounder. I foresee McD looking at guys like Canfield and LeFevour in later rounds and Brandstater being a back-up until he's no longer in the league.

Could you give me the skinny on LeFevour? He and McElroy are two Qb's I wish I knew more about, when I seem them play something looks off.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I would like to see him get some time in preseason.

MileHighCrew
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I would like to see him get some time in preseason.

As would I. He is a Broncos draft pick so I hope for nothing but the best for Tom.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
He definitely improved throughout the pre season, but was still pretty bad. He has all the physical tools it's just going to take a heck of a coaching job to make him into a good QB, but McDaniels is arguably one of the best at coaching up no name QB's (Tom Brady, Matt Cassel).

My gut feeling is that he'll make for a good backup for a while but won't really amount to much. Wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the NFL in 6-7 years. I wouldn't mind being completely wrong on this one though :D

CoachChaz
01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Could you give me the skinny on LeFevour? He and McElroy are two Qb's I wish I knew more about, when I seem them play something looks off.

he's a solid kid. Nothing that completely jumps out at anyone, but that seems to be the perfect cadidate for a spread QB. He was impressive in the GMAC Bowl and will play in the senior bowl, so we can see more of him next week

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
he's a solid kid. Nothing that completely jumps out at anyone, but that seems to be the perfect cadidate for a spread QB. He was impressive in the GMAC Bowl and will play in the senior bowl, so we can see more of him next week

I'm excited for the senior bowl. Know anything about his accuracy, release, pocket presence or progressions?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I'd rather see him taking the snaps than Orton.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing McCoy in the 2nd/3rd round. Incredible accuracy, good mobility, very quick release, good work ethic, and great leader. Basically just a far more athletic and better version of Orton.

Say what you want about arm strength, but I've watched ever game he's played the last 4 years and unless you plan to run an offense that throws an obscene number of 60 yard bombs, he'll be fine on any NFL team.

Go Colt :salute:

claymore
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
I have a gut feeling he is better than Simms.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing McCoy in the 2nd/3rd round. Incredible accuracy, good mobility, very quick release, good work ethic, and great leader. Basically just a far more athletic and better version of Orton.

Say what you want about arm strength, but I've watched ever game he's played the last 4 years and unless you plan to run an offense that throws an obscene number of 60 yard bombs, he'll be fine on any NFL team.

Yeah but he's kind of small for the NFL and every time I hear him interview I get the feeling he's got the intelligence of Brett Favre and Jack Lambert combined.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Get out of town!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q79/JH5sSportsPics/NFL/Tampa%20Bay%20Bucs/Chris%20Simms/SimsHurt.jpg

Simms is a regular Otto Graham!

Davii
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM

I have a gut feeling you are better than Simms.

Overtime
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey guys, I want to know what all of you think of Brandstater as a future prospect. We've seen almost nothing, a few preseason games, Fresno State games, but almost nobody talks about him in the media - he was a 6th round pick. Mcdaniels hasn't mentioned him ever, so what's your gut feeling?

I know he doesn't have a super-arm and his throws are a tad wobbly but I think he comes off as intelligent and coachable, and his mobility isn't bad.

I think i'd like to see alot more of him so i'll be going to the home preseason games this year - What do you guys think about the Brandstater?

After his atrocious outing against Seattle in the pre-season, his next 2 games were awesome. He was making the deep throw, has a solid arm (better than Face Poodle Orton's noodle arm), but not super strong. I was very impressed with the kid's composure against Chicago and Arizona, and to be honest, if it weren't for McD having something stuck so far up Orton's bingo hole, I really thought Brandstater played the best in the pre-season out of all 3 QB's, and deserved the starting job, but that's just my opinion.

Simms was awful, Orton was atrocious in the pre-seaon, but Brandstater he at least had some heart!

We've managed to run off a Pro Bowl QB, an almost certain Future HOF D-Coord, Bobby Turner, Rick Dennison, we've totally trashed the damn zone blocking scheme, and our jackass head coach is trying to run Marshall and Scheffler off as well. So if we're gonna rebuild, we might as well ******* do it with a new QB like Brandstater and just put him out there and let's get him some experience.

Ditch Simms, demote Orton to backup, and let's do this!!!

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
After his atrocious outing against Seattle in the pre-season, his next 2 games were awesome. He was making the deep throw, has a solid arm (better than Face Poodle Orton's noodle arm), but not super strong. I was very impressed with the kid's composure against Chicago and Arizona, and to be honest, if it weren't for McD having something stuck so far up Orton's bingo hole, I really thought Brandstater played the best in the pre-season out of all 3 QB's, and deserved the starting job, but that's just my opinion.

Simms was awful, Orton was atrocious in the pre-seaon, but Brandstater he at least had some heart!

We've managed to run off a Pro Bowl QB, an almost certain Future HOF D-Coord, Bobby Turner, Rick Dennison, we've totally trashed the damn zone blocking scheme, and our jackass head coach is trying to run Marshall and Scheffler off as well. So if we're gonna rebuild, we might as well ******* do it with a new QB like Brandstater and just put him out there and let's get him some experience.

I just want to hear your thoughts on Brandstater, I'm not looking for McDaniels' life story.

claymore
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
I have a gut feeling you are better than Simms.

And I have a spleen!

Hoser
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah but he's kind of small for the NFL and every time I hear him interview I get the feeling he's got the intelligence of Brett Favre and Jack Lambert combined.

6'2 210 pounds isn't bad for an NFL QB. Drew Brees is just 6'0 209 pounds. It's not the prototypical size, but it's not a reason for why he wouldn't be able to succeed. QB's who succeed in the NFL need to have the best work ethic on the team, and Colt definitely has top of the line work ethic. You don't need to be smart to succeed, just football smart.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 03:43 PM
6'2 210 pounds isn't bad for an NFL QB. Drew Brees is just 6'0 209 pounds. It's not the prototypical size, but it's not a reason for why he wouldn't be able to succeed. QB's who succeed in the NFL need to have the best work ethic on the team, and Colt definitely has top of the line work ethic. You don't need to be smart to succeed, just football smart.

True that, I'm probably just letting my prejudice against texans get in the way.

Hoser

I guess there's one on every board :(

CoachChaz

EVERY UT QB has stats with great accuracy. Vince Young even completed over 70% of his passes when he was there. That should say enough

Nomad
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
EVERY UT QB has stats with great accuracy. Vince Young even completed over 70% of his passes when he was there. That should say enough

He's a Pro Bowl QB;):coffee::D (sorry couldn't resist).

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Anybody here like Todd Reesing? The dude plays with FIRE, I don't care that he's 5'11", He'll find a way to see over the line and make plays. I think he's just great.

TXBRONC
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
He definitely improved throughout the pre season, but was still pretty bad. He has all the physical tools it's just going to take a heck of a coaching job to make him into a good QB, but McDaniels is arguably one of the best at coaching up no name QB's (Tom Brady, Matt Cassel).

My gut feeling is that he'll make for a good backup for a while but won't really amount to much. Wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the NFL in 6-7 years. I wouldn't mind being completely wrong on this one though :D

Brady was already one of the top two quarterbacks in the League before McDaniels became his coach. Weis had more to do with his develop than McDaniels did.

And I would at best the jury is still out on Cassel.

silkamilkamonico
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I foresee McD looking at guys like Canfield and LeFevour in later rounds and Brandstater being a back-up until he's no longer in the league.

Might as well just keep Brandstater. LeFevour is nothing more than a system QB in a spread offense where system QB's highly succeed, much in the same sense as Texas QB's. And he's a late round prospect just like Brandstater. I saw LeFevour play in person and wasn;t impressed with him as an individual talent.

Don't know much at all about Canfield.

I cannot believe McDaniels traded a draft pick to move up and get a guy like Brandstater. I know 1 draft doesn't say much at all, but any more drafts like last year for McDaniels and Denver will be completely bare of talent in a couple years.

Last year turned out to be a terribly average draft at this point, and that's being significantly generous.

TXBRONC
Anybody here like Todd Reesing? The dude plays with FIRE, I don't care that he's 5'11", He'll find a way to see over the line and make plays. I think he's just great.

He doesn't seem like the kind of quarterback that would fit into what McDaniels likes in his quarterbacks.

Overtime
I just want to hear your thoughts on Brandstater, I'm not looking for McDaniels' life story.

I think he's got all the intangibles to be the Denver Broncos starting QB and be successful at it. He can make the deep throw, he hit his receivers over the middle, he can throw the post pattern, and against Arizona I believe he threw quite a pretty fade in the red zone.

He had that initial jitters against Seattle and looked like he'd never seen a playing field before, but after that game, he calmed down, and slowed it down, and made some great throws, and it wasn't just one or two great throws, there were several including one beautiful bomb to McKinley against Chicago ( i creamed in my pants when he made that throw. :lol:). He's shown he can read the defense, and handle the blitz, and utilize the play action and bootleg/rollout.

I think he's solid, and will be consistent, and a definite improvement over Simms and Orton.

If ole Noodle Arm had thrown that ball to McKinley, it woulda been picked off.

The Broncos future is now, not in 2011 or 2012, but now. The Patriots never had a "great" team until Tom Brady stepped in for Bledsoe, and became a leader. They've never had "great" defenses like the Ravens or Bears, but their defenses were designed to "stay at home" and not panic and not give up the big play late in games, which you didn't see them do. Denver doesn't need a great defense, we need a god damn leader in the locker room, on the field, on the sidelines and in the huddle, and I don't believe Orton or Simms can be that guy, but I believe Brandstater can.

I'm stopping here before I get too much off topic.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-22-2010, 03:54 PM
He's a Pro Bowl QB;):coffee::D (sorry couldn't resist).

He looked pretty okay the second half of the season this year. I'll give him that. Better than a lot of QBs the second half of the season.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I think he's got all the intangibles to be the Denver Broncos starting QB and be successful at it. He can make the deep throw, he hit his receivers over the middle, he can throw the post pattern, and against Arizona I believe he threw quite a pretty fade in the red zone.

He had that initial jitters against Seattle and looked like he'd never seen a playing field before, but after that game, he calmed down, and slowed it down, and made some great throws, and it wasn't just one or two great throws, there were several including one beautiful bomb to McKinley against Chicago ( i creamed in my pants when he made that throw. :lol:). He's shown he can read the defense, and handle the blitz, and utilize the play action and bootleg/rollout.

I think he's solid, and will be consistent, and a definite improvement over Simms and Orton.

If ole Noodle Arm had thrown that ball to McKinley, it woulda been picked off.

The Broncos future is now, not in 2011 or 2012, but now. The Patriots never had a "great" team until Tom Brady stepped in for Bledsoe, and became a leader. They've never had "great" defenses like the Ravens or Bears, but their defenses were designed to "stay at home" and not panic and not give up the big play late in games, which you didn't see them do. Denver doesn't need a great defense, we need a god damn leader in the locker room, on the field, on the sidelines and in the huddle, and I don't believe Orton or Simms can be that guy, but I believe Brandstater can.

I'm stopping here before I get too much off topic.

Thank you for your thoughts.

T.K.O.
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
i realize this is about brandstater but.....since there has been talk about simms ( and the need to dump him ) does anybody here know if his 2 year deal has an escape clause ? can we just dump him without much $$$ penalty or do we have to find another sucker...i mean team that will pay him the 2 mil a year or whatever we overpaid him? tia

broncofaninfla
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I liked Branstater at Fresno, the kid was solid there and thought he played better over all in preseason than any of our QB's but that isn't saying much. He's got more upside than Orton and could be a viable option for us in the future if additional talent at that postion isn't added this season.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM

He completed over 60% of his passes in 07 and this year was at 58.7% Not bad for a guy that has ZERO good receivers. Vince is actually a pretty accurate passer, people just want to assume he has bad accuracy because he likes to run (Which he's done a pretty good job of controlling)

silkamilkamonico
01-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Vince is actually a pretty accurate passer, people just want to assume he has bad accuracy because he likes to run (Which he's done a pretty good job of controlling)

Uhm, no.

CoachChaz
01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
He completed over 60% of his passes in 07 and this year was at 58.7% Not bad for a guy that has ZERO good receivers. Vince is actually a pretty accurate passer, people just want to assume he has bad accuracy because he likes to run (Which he's done a pretty good job of controlling)

he does it by doing the same thing he did at UT. Throwing 7-10 yard passes.

Nevertheless, McCoy is a 2 time Heisman Trophy candidate with the record for most collegiate wins who has been in a BCS Bowl all 4 years...and yet...he's still projected as a 3rd round pick while guys with much lesser resumes are projected ahead of him. There is a reason for that and it has nothing to do with his behavior or completion percentage.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 04:27 PM

Nevertheless, McCoy is a 2 time Heisman Trophy candidate with the record for most collegiate wins who has been in a BCS Bowl all 4 years...and yet...he's still projected as a 3rd round pick while guys with much lesser resumes are projected ahead of him. There is a reason for that and it has nothing to do with his behavior or completion percentage.

I think McCoy will still be sitting around in the 4th round waiting for a phone call.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Probably the same reason Al Davis took DHB over Crabtree and why Vernon Gholsten was a top 10 pick. The combine is all about measurables for most teams. However I don't see the Patriots, Steelers, or Colts snagging the off the chart measurable guys and tend to reach on a lot of picks (Jerod Mayo was considered to be a big reach when the Pats took him) and they seem to be contenders all the time.

I do see the Chargers and Cowboys do it all the time though, and they seem to make it a fun habit of having those off the chart athletes blow up in the post season because lack of maturity and leadership.

Overtime
01-22-2010, 04:57 PM

name me 1 Heisman QB starting in the league right now and being successful, aside from Carson Palmer.

The Heisman trophy don't mean jack shit about how your NFL career will pan out.

Superchop 7
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Snead may actually go before McCoy.

Just because his NFL ceiling is higher.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Snead may actually go before McCoy.

Just because his NFL ceiling is higher.

Higher NFL ceiling because he has a bigger arm?

I really don't get the justification for Snead being taken higher. He had a crap season on a good team while McCoy has had 3 amazing seasons and a kinda lame sophomore year.

The combine just bothers me sometimes where measurables are given 50 times the weight of intangibles. I'm not saying they aren't important at all, but it shouldn't be skewed so heavily.

SOCALORADO.
01-22-2010, 06:05 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dynastyrogues.com/img/players/TomBrandstater.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dynastyrogues.com/article/%3Fid%3D81&usg=__oubuiIWc7w1OkrmOIsQcIFK4wh8=&h=157&w=105&sz=9&hl=en&start=11&sig2=xuBZTLv7gBXVtsW4bq5SWg&itbs=1&tbnid=oDjj1WPEZbREnM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=65&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtom%2Bbrandstater%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den %26safe%3Doff&ei=gwFaS6GSDaSltgfO4YGYAg

He even looks like a quarterback

Tom Brandstater - Tom Brandstater is the quintessential QB3 for a team. He is too raw to play but a perfect QB to groom, a high-risk, high-reward type. He was a three-year starter at Fresno State and has all the raw tools needed to play at the next level with outstanding size (6'5"). He would be overwhelmed if pressed into duty for some reason as a rookie however. The skinny on him coming out of college (and why he fell to the 6th round) is he needs to learn how to better progress through reads and look-off coverages. He left college with a less-than-impressive 59% career completion percentage.

I have watched alot of Brandstater.
Hes a solid player with limited mobility. Good arm. strong enough to make all the throws, but he does not have a rocket arm.
His biggest issue was he had a different offensive coordinator every year he was at Fresno St. It was hard to adjust, and Pat Hill is kinda a hard @$$. So he has progressed the way many thought he would.
He has all the ability to be a top notch QB in the NFL, he just needs a young coach, who is specifically talented at taking QBs like him and making them "system QBs".
....now if we could only find a coach like that laying around....

LRtagger
01-22-2010, 06:24 PM

That's just gas.

Lonestar
01-22-2010, 07:25 PM
think he could be a keeper we will see what Josh thinks about him in late april.

Has the size and arm that many love. But does he have the brains and heart Orton does.

shank
01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
i was impressed with his arm and pocket pressence in the preseason. i think the time he's spending on the bench will be valuable to him, and i actually hold on to hope that he just might be our future quarterback.

he's got the arm, he seems very smart, he's not very mobile, but you could tell that he feels the rush even better than orton does... i think the kid has a future if McD's QB coaching is legit, and the pattern continues.

JDL
01-22-2010, 09:15 PM
6th Round QBs (1999-2008)

2008: Colt Brennan/Andre Woodson
2007: Jordan Palmer
2006: Bruce Gradkowski
2005: Derek Anderson
2004: Andy Hall/Josh Harris/Jim Sorgi/Jeff Smoker
2003: Drew Henson/Brooks Bollinger/Kliff Kingsbury
2002: J.T. O'Sullivan
2001: Josh Booty/Josh Heupel
2000: Marc Bulger/Spergon Wynn/Tom Brady/Todd Husak
1999: None

So 19 players. 2 have been consistent starters, although both were in the same draft, 10 years ago. My gut tells me that Brandstater is a 6th rd pick and that his presence on the roster right now, should not affect ANYTHING we do with regards to the QB position (draft, FA, trade, etc.) We have know we have 1 competent NFL QB on the roster, we need to find another... if Brandstater develops, well, then at worst Denver has a nice problem, if he doesn't, no big deal.

I kind of like some of the 2nd rd/3rd rd QBs... I don't think any of them project to great QBs, but I think a guy like Lefevour can develop into a very nice Jeff Garcia/Rich Gannon type of player early in his career. Great mobility(physical too) and even in that type of offense, he had a pretty impressive completion %. Awkward motion and all, but not elongated like a Tebow, just awkward. 3rd rd pick.

Then bring in a vet QB if you can find one to be the backup. Give yourself options, it is too important a position to not give yourself options which is what I stressed before the season started... you had a raw QB, a backup that hadn't played in forever and was a questionable QB even before his serious injury and Orton. Lot's of question marks, seemed silly we had no competition for their roster spots, only question was what order. Simms really hurt this team, a competent backup would have finished off that Redskins game we were dominating and maybe put up a fight against SD.

I like TB, but not enough to guarantee he should have a spot on the roster... if he or another talented rookie QB can show they can handle the #2 spot in preseason, then they can keep their jobs, but guys like that NEED to earn their spots on the team, if they don't, they can go to the Practice Squad or Street.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm excited to see him play this coming preseason, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Overtime
01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm excited to see him play this coming preseason, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

i don't understand some of the logic of some of these yuppies on here.

they all just want an instant overnight answer to all of our freaking problems, and it's getting old. as far as I'm concerned most of 'em are bandwagon fans anyhow.

we have Brandstater on the roster, we've drafted him, we're paying him money, we might as well find out what the kid can do in some real regular season NFL action, because sure as hell if we cut him, and someone else does give him a shot, he'll flourish and become a big name QB somewhere else.

if this team, coach, and organization aren't willing to at least give the kid a shot (as well as all the other guys on the roster who aren't big names), then we just fold the ******* team up, and be done and have no more Denver Broncos.

We need some freakin' balls, just try something different. what we been doing ain't been working. We don't have a damn thing to lose by playing Brandstater, but we have everything to gain.

Lonestar
01-22-2010, 10:09 PM

they all just want an instant overnight answer to all of our freaking problems, and it's getting old. as far as I'm concerned most of 'em are bandwagon fans anyhow.

we have Brandstater on the roster, we've drafted him, we're paying him money, we might as well find out what the kid can do in some real regular season NFL action, because sure as hell if we cut him, and someone else does give him a shot, he'll flourish and become a big name QB somewhere else.

if this team, coach, and organization aren't willing to at least give the kid a shot (as well as all the other guys on the roster who aren't big names), then we just fold the ******* team up, and be done and have no more Denver Broncos.

We need some freakin' balls, just try something different. what we been doing ain't been working. We don't have a damn thing to lose by playing Brandstater, but we have everything to gain.

What has not been working?

Do you suppose that they as coaches know if the kid is ready to play in the NFL?

If they feel he is better than Orton with his knowledge of the game, they will play him.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-23-2010, 12:53 AM

Balls? You wanna talk about balls? This is 2010 brother, looking at the quarterback wrong is 15 yards. Making sure a guy is out of bounds is 15 yards, going for a deep ball is "aggressive", defenses are now double as athletic as offenses. The west coast offense has been figured out by defensive coaches everywhere, a running game is no longer the aim of most clubs. There are no balls in the NFL, this is 2010 and pro football will never be how it used to be. We all have to accept that and take it for what it is. Don't expect any balls in this league though, those days are long gone.

Broncolingus
01-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Balls?

http://www.oliviamunn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/stress-balls-copy.jpg

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 02:59 AM

McCoy sucks and he's injury prone. Just how many concussions does he need to get before he's out of the game? :rolleyes:

shank
01-23-2010, 05:07 AM

yer a yuppie, yuppie.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-23-2010, 04:10 PM
yer a yuppie, yuppie.

Owned.

Overtime
01-24-2010, 12:43 AM
What has not been working?

Do you suppose that they as coaches know if the kid is ready to play in the NFL?

If they feel he is better than Orton with his knowledge of the game, they will play him.

hmm did anyone suppose Tom Brady was ready when Bledsoe went down???? :confused:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-24-2010, 12:46 AM
hmm did anyone suppose Tom Brady was ready when Bledsoe went down???? :confused:

And that's the magic of the NFL, the reason it's the largest entertainment event in America and a corporate juggernaut.

Parody.

JDL
01-24-2010, 11:01 PM

Shouldn't he have to earn that right? Since when do we just play guys because we drafted them with some late round pick? :confused:

Its called competition, plain and simple... whoever wins wins... until you find a player at a position who is a franchise player... if they aren't... keep forcing them to win their job.... doesn't seem like a problem to me. Enough of guys like Chris Simms though... he wasn't good to begin with.

JDL
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM

You know what... here's a thought... let's just trade all our picks for 6th rd draft picks because you know what... T. Davis, T. Brady... clearly they never fail and produce hall of fame caliber talent all the time!!!! :shocked:

TXBRONC
01-24-2010, 11:10 PM
You know what... here's a thought... let's just trade all our picks for 6th rd draft picks because you know what... T. Davis, T. Brady... clearly they never fail and produce hall of fame caliber talent all the time!!!! :shocked:

I like Brandstater's measurables but that doesn't mean he's ready to starting quarterback nor does it mean that ever will be.

Overtime
01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Shouldn't he have to earn that right? Since when do we just play guys because we drafted them with some late round pick? :confused:

Its called competition, plain and simple... whoever wins wins... until you find a player at a position who is a franchise player... if they aren't... keep forcing them to win their job.... doesn't seem like a problem to me. Enough of guys like Chris Simms though... he wasn't good to begin with.

ok, well i can't help that McDaniels was blind, because Brandstater clearly and obviously outplayed both Orton & Simms in the pre-season.

If that's not competing, then I don't know what is. It's just stupid because McDaniels felt he owed Orton the starting job based on some misguided loyalty or whatever.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-24-2010, 11:42 PM
ok, well i can't help that McDaniels was blind, because Brandstater clearly and obviously outplayed both Orton & Simms in the pre-season.

If that's not competing, then I don't know what is. It's just stupid because McDaniels felt he owed Orton the starting job based on some misguided loyalty or whatever.

He doesn't decide the starter based on preseason, that's RIDICULOUS.

sakic_avs
01-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Seriously? I mean, seriously?

Wow.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM

So Brandstater should have been the starter in the regular season, because he looked good playing against 3rd and 4th stringers in preseason :confused:

Overtime
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
So Brandstater should have been the starter in the regular season, because he looked good playing against 3rd and 4th stringers in preseason :confused:

actually he ripped apart the Bears starters on defense (even though in hindsight that's not really saying too much considering how they played in the regular season), and he played exceptionally well against Arizona, even if was 3rd or 4th string.

Hoser
01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
actually he ripped apart the Bears starters on defense (even though in hindsight that's not really saying too much considering how they played in the regular season), and he played exceptionally well against Arizona, even if was 3rd or 4th string.

Ripped apart the starters?

So going 2/5 for 19 yards and an INT against the starters is ripping them apart? Brandstater played barely 2 drives against the starters and was to be honest, bad. He did okay against the backups, but there is NOTHING he did in pre season to make anybody think he should start over Orton, and as we all saw with Simms, pre season means jack.

frenchfan
01-25-2010, 03:17 AM
I don't know too much about TB, but I'd rather to see him #2 than Simms... I was really disappointed by Simms BTW... I thought he could be a good back-up but he wasn't... Save the money...

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
You guys that are arguing over Orton and Brandstater in the preseason and who was better are lost.
The reason Orton started over Brandstater was simply because he had played and won games in the NFL as a QB, and he already knew the spread offense from his years at Purdue. Its that simple.
Playing experience and knowledge.
I think overall Brandstaters ceiling as a NFL calibur QB is higher because of his physical abilities, but not knowing MCDs basic system, and being a rookie isnt gonna get you the starting job. Brandstater just wasnt ready.