PDA

View Full Version : Rate the 2009 Denver Broncos- Safeties/Corners

broncofaninfla
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Rate the 2009 Denver Broncos- Safeties/Corners

Superchop 7
01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Hill was god awful in run support, Ty Law is improving, Bailey and Goodman did a nice job, Dawkins tailed off towards the end of the year, I suspect he was hurting.

missingnumber7
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
They were good, not great, but not bad either. Have a good starting base, with the experience we have here now is the time to have young CB's to sit there and learn.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm gonna give it an A.

Just based off of how terrible everybody was in 08 other than Champ, it was so awesome to see secondary players that actually knew what they were doing. Every starter had multiple picks and did lots of good things for the team.

I think next year McBath is going to start over Renaldo Hill. I was really impressed with him whenever he got onto the field and IMO he's really just a more athletic Hill as long as he can nail down the communication aspect with the rest of the secondary which is so vital.

broncofaninfla
01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
I gave them a A, felt this was our strongest group last year. Champ not giving up a TD, Goodman played solid ball and Hill and Dawkins were solid as well. I was surprsied most by Hill, felt he was a unsung hero of this group. McBath was very good in releif and expect him to challenge for a starting role soon. Dawkins was somewhat of a liability in the passing game at times but also disruptive in the passing game at times, love his passion and the attitude he brings to the defense.

MileHighCrew
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Goodman was better than I thought, Dawkins was solid but not insane. Champ is awesome but not getting any younger and teams are starting to challenge him more. Not giving up a TD is awesome but some of the fear factor is gone. Hill was good. McBath was better than expected, Smith was disappointing (but that was a lot of pressure considering the way he was drafted) and Law was ok I guess. Solid C+ or B- to me.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I gave it a B because outside of our starting 4, we really have no future answers (especially at CB). Smith was beaten out by an old, out of practice vet and a rookie practice squad player, JMFW was cut, Tony Carter did okay, but wasn't anything more than was expected of him.

Who is our nickel back? Who is our dime back? Who starts if Champ or Andre get injured? They aren't exactly young guys anymore.

Dean
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I gave them a B (B+) but it could just as easily been an A-. I don't think that they got enough ints or forced fumbles to be a solid A. On the other hand, their pass defense was one of the better ones in the league.

dogfish
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Dawkins tailed off towards the end of the year, I suspect he was hurting.

or 36 years old. . .

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I give the DB's an A, I thought they struck fear into quarterbacks and with a little help from the D-line this could turn out legendary.

Lonestar
01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Overall I guess I had higher expectations for hill and goodman. To many times I saw their numbers TRAILING some running into the EZ.

Guess when you have a HOF Champ to compare to it is hard to live up to that standard.

Dawkins was the spiritual leader of the TEAM not just the D. He made a lot of key stops as well.
Well Champ is the best.

Law was a great pickup and it relieved smith of losing confidence out there. Hope he is back next year.

As for kiddies we got several that are learning from the best time will tell on them.

It was one of the bright spots on the team, just think what it could have done with more heat from JUST the DL getting into the backfield more consistently.

B from me.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Ziggy
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I gave them an A. They were by far the best unit on the team, and the most improved. With a great defensive line they would have been outright insane.

Broncolingus
01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Solid B...

Interior of the D-line remains top priority - played 'okay' initially I thought, but faded bad down the stretch...

Agree with 128, let's get some dudes that can play solid for 16 games a season and give the LBs and Secondary some help.

(...I swear I posted that last sentence almost verbatim the past 5 friggin years...)

Northman
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Collectively they get a B. Mainly because BDawk and Bailey.

muse
01-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Bailey and Goodman were outstanding. We had a fair few coverage sacks as I recall...

Our safety play was good too...ok, it didn't set the world alight, but...for the love of god, look back to Manuel/Revolving door at FS last season (including the mighty Marlon McCree, Vernon Fox, Herana Daze-Jones, Calvin Lowry and Roderick "One Game Scapegoat" Rogers).

CrazyHorse
01-22-2010, 11:55 PM
The secondary was definitely the bright spot on the defense, even though their's lack of depth. With out them our defense is MUCH worse. It's too bad that they don't have a good front 7 to accompany them. If and when we do improve in that area with defensive line it may be too late for some of the older vets like Bailey and Dawkins.