PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Elam unlikley to return.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Broncos | Elam unlikely to return
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:04:52 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports unrestricted free-agent PK Jason Elam (Broncos) is unlikely to re-sign with the Denver Broncos.

frauschieze
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I am going to hope against hope that this is untrue. I know Elam is not what he used to be but it sure would be nice to see him play his entire career with the Broncos.

DenBronx
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
then who the hell is gonna kick for us?

i feel a 5-11 season coming on pretty strong. im tired of us not being a contender anymore...this sucks!

BeefStew25
03-02-2008, 09:25 PM
I thought he signed with the Chiefs. Tubby told me that.

McKeough
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Damnit!

Adam is usually spot-on with his reports, and even more so with Bronco specific ones.

I hope this isn't a case of the Broncos being to greedy to pay Elam a decent amount in an attempt to save cap room.

He'll be forever etched in Broncos history, and if he does go, it'll be very sad. :tsk:

ikillz0mbies
03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Well don't the Broncos have Matt Prater? They signed him last season. Just saying.

JONtheBRONCO
03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Jesus Broncos, the man has been a lifetime and a loyal player for the Broncos. How old is Elam, 37? Who cares, the man won us how many games last year... Thats pressure, I don't think any rookie is going to fill his shoes. You'll sign guys like Kerry Colbert and entertain guys like Sammy Knight but won't resign one of the greatest Broncos of all time. He's a friggin kicker. I hope this isn't true. I'd be very unhappy with Mike Shanahan and the organization if this happens.

Chidoze
03-02-2008, 10:12 PM
then who the hell is gonna kick for us?

i feel a 5-11 season coming on pretty strong. im tired of us not being a contender anymore...this sucks!
It'll be okay, I swear.

May god strike me down if I'm wrong......:bolt:

Brand
03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Reports were that he wanted 3 mil per year. While I agree he has been a mainstay for a lot of years, it may be time that he moved on. Having a K who cannot KO is a costly person to have on the team, particularly for 3 mil per. I am saddened, but not surprised. Maybe a mil and a half per, but not three.....

BroncoWave
03-02-2008, 10:43 PM
So that leaves Tom Nalen as the last link to our 2 Super Bowl teams. :sad:

broncosfanscott
03-02-2008, 10:56 PM
This is gonna suck if he doesn't finish in Denver. It would be weird seeing him in another jersey should that happen. I know he is old, however he is still a good kicker as opposed to some that are younger. As McKeough stated, Adam Schefter is usually pretty good with his reporting so I hope he is wrong on this one.

AlWilsonizKING
03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
I feel the same way I did when the Bronc's released Atwater.....I was like :eek: what the heck are you guys thinking?!?!?!? It can't always be about money.............can it?

PEACE!!!

SR
03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Let it go people. Time to get young again.

AlWilsonizKING
03-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Let it go people. Time to get young again.

:rolleyes:

PEACE!!!

SR
03-02-2008, 11:22 PM
:rolleyes:

PEACE!!!

Roll your eyes at me all you want. Elam is old and obscelete. Time to trade him in for a younger, sexier version who can kick a 55 yarder.

tubby
03-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I thought he signed with the Chiefs. Tubby told me that.

If it actually happens I will barf.

Chidoze
03-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I feel the same way I did when the Bronc's released Atwater.....I was like :eek: what the heck are you guys thinking?!?!?!? It can't always be about money.............can it?

PEACE!!!
It would appear so.....

Chidoze
03-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Roll your eyes at me all you want. Elam is old and obscelete. Time to trade him in for a younger, sexier version who can kick a 55 yarder.
No one is a sexier kicker than Elam......haven't you seen his facial hair? :elefant:

SR
03-02-2008, 11:25 PM
No one is a sexier kicker than Elam......haven't you seen his facial hair? :elefant:

I'm sorry. I was thinking about what I was about to do with my wife. Didn't mean to type that "sexier version" in there.

Chidoze
03-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry. I was thinking about what I was about to do with my wife. Didn't mean to type that "sexier version" in there.
It's ok, but seriously.......

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1212/pg2_a_elam_300.jpg

It dont get much sexier than Elam. :cheer2:

.......god I'm weird :cool:

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
It's ok, but seriously.......

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1212/pg2_a_elam_300.jpg

It dont get much sexier than Elam. :cheer2:

.......god I'm weird :cool:

Ok, We defiantly are not related

Chidoze
03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Ok, We defiantly are not related
I know.......it's wrong on a whole different level. :smack:

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I know.......it's wrong on a whole different level. :smack:

This thread went downhill fast..again.

Chidoze
03-02-2008, 11:44 PM
This thread went downhill fast..again.
Hope it wasnt my fault....:whistle:

RiversSucks
03-02-2008, 11:47 PM
He wants $3 Mill a year!!!

The Broncos won't be giving him that.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 12:38 AM
He wants $3 Mill a year!!!

The Broncos won't be giving him that.

Perhaps 2 mil for the entire kicking dept. P, KO and FG guy.. But that would be max I'd pay..

turftoad
03-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Perhaps 2 mil for the entire kicking dept. P, KO and FG guy.. But that would be max I'd pay..

You forgot about a long snapper.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 12:52 AM
You forgot about a long snapper.

Naw he is a TE remember, then you might even have to trow in the Holder also.. and the kicking tees.. Naw just the three "foot" players..

SR
03-03-2008, 01:03 AM
You couldn't pay me $3mil to pay ANY kicker that much per year.

D1g1tal j1m
03-03-2008, 02:11 AM
I love elam and he will forever have a place in my memories as one of the true greats at his position. But, he is 37 and is no longer the feared kicker in terms of booming kicks through the uprights. I used to remember that he was a weapon but now they think twice about using him whenever the field goals are around the 50 yard range or longer. This has greatly influenced our playcalling the last few years.

Bring in a young kicker with a strong leg and watch him boom it in the mile high altitude (everyone was saying that about Elam when we drafted him). It has been done before and should happen again. Blind loyalty and nostalgia leads to nothing but trouble in sports when applied to an old veteran.

Thanks for the memories Elam, I forever will be grateful for you for them...

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 02:44 AM
I love elam and he will forever have a place in my memories as one of the true greats at his position. But, he is 37 and is no longer the feared kicker in terms of booming kicks through the uprights. I used to remember that he was a weapon but now they think twice about using him whenever the field goals are around the 50 yard range or longer. This has greatly influenced our playcalling the last few years.

Bring in a young kicker with a strong leg and watch him boom it in the mile high altitude (everyone was saying that about Elam when we drafted him). It has been done before and should happen again. Blind loyalty and nostalgia leads to nothing but trouble in sports when applied to an old veteran.

Thanks for the memories Elam, I forever will be grateful for you for them...

Your sig is one of the best I have seen!

Getting back on topic

I will really hate to see Elem leave :( But 3 Mil a year?

We go for it on 4th and 13 because Shanahan don't have enough faith in Elem to make a 49 yard field goal, He can't come close to kicking it on the endzone anymore, therefore we have to use another roster spot on someone who can.

If he was willing to play for cheap I would say we really need to keep him a Bronco. But his play just don't warrant 3 Mil a year..

Stargazer
03-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Broncos | Elam unlikely to return
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:04:52 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports unrestricted free-agent PK Jason Elam (Broncos) is unlikely to re-sign with the Denver Broncos.

If this holds true, I am not surprised.

Denver opens up two roster spots by eliminating Jason Elam.

WARHORSE
03-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Elam kicked for John Elway.................:coffee:

:salute:

SoCoPoCo
03-03-2008, 06:30 AM
I've always trusted MS with his decisions - albeit blindly too often - and I assume he has a plan for who our next kicker will be if Elam isn't back.
All good things come to an end, but it would be nice if he retired rather than went to another team...just really would not look right at all.

omac
03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
To me, Elam's value isn't really about the distance he used to kick, but that he was so clutch when the game was on the line. There may be kickers who outdistance him now, but very few are as good under extreme pressure. I think the majority of kickers in the league can't execute the "running onto the field and kicking the field goal as time expires" play. I bet Buffalo wished they had a Jason Elam so they would've won that superbowl.

Ricky
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Kickers get old. Jason has always held up under pressure, but father time has a way with things. When you can't KO anymore, you wasting an extra roster spot. Good luck Jason, we loved you, but time to move on.

Day1BroncoFan
03-04-2008, 11:32 AM
The end of the "Elam" era. Hmm.

It is sad, I would like to see Elam play it out here. I hope Shanny has a planny. :D