PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Promote TE coach to OLINE and look to Canada for assistant O-line coach (MERGED)

ikillz0mbies
01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/01/21/broncos-look-to-canada-for-o-line-coach/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29

A league source said Thursday night that the Broncos have tabbed Bob Wylie to be their assistant offensive line coach.

Wylie has resigned his position from the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League and could be formally announced in his new position with the Broncos as soon as Friday. Wylie has coached the offensive line with the Buccaneers, Bears and the Cardinals in the NFL and has worked previously on the Jets staff as well in his career.

He replaces long-time Broncos assistant Rick Dennison, who left to become the Texans offensive coordinator.

Umm...assistant o-line coach? I didn't know there was such a thing. So...is there a primary o-line coach? Or is he really the man who coaches the o-line? Oh and does anyone know anything about him? How he did in the NFL?

topscribe
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
That's the first I have heard of the position and the first I have heard Dennison's being referred to as such. :confused:

Regarding Wylie, I know the name . . . or am I confusing him with that Disney coyote? :laugh:

-----

j3phr3y
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
That's the first I have heard of the position and the first I have heard Dennison's being referred to as such. :confused:

Regarding Wylie, I know the name . . . or am I confusing him with that Disney coyote? :laugh:

-----
Rockets straped to the o-line? Brilliant!

Ziggy
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Here's an older bio describing our new Oline coach:

Bob Wylie's Biography
Bob Wylie SERGEANT-AT-ARMS Chicago Bears Entering his 13th NFL season as a coach, Bob Wylie was named the Bears' offensive line coach on February 2, 1999. Wylie oversaw a line that produced its first back-to-back Pro Bowl selection since 1990-91 when Hawaii native Olin Kreutz earned his second consecutive selection. In 2001, the offensive line led the NFL in sacks allowed, surrendering a league-low 17, more than 21 below the NFL average (38.6) and 17 fewer than the team permitted in 2000 (34). The offensive line also assisted the emergence of NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Anthony Thomas who became the first Bears running back to earn the honor since Gale Sayers in 1965 and in the process produced back-to-back 1,000-yard rushers (Thomas and James Allen). Thomas' 1000-yard season marks the sixth time a Wylie-led offensive line has blocked for a 1000-yard back.Wylie came to Chicago from Cincinnati, where he coached Bengal tight ends in 1997 and 1998, helping Cory Dillon to consecutive 1000-yard seasons. Wylie spent six seasons in the NFL prior to joining the Bengals. He was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offensive line coach in 1992-95 (helping Errict Rhett to consecutive 1,000-yard seasons), and coached tight ends for the New York Jets in 1990-91. Wylie spent a year away from the NFL in 1996, as the University of Cincinnati's offensive line tutor; they led Conference USA in rushing (181.4 yards per game). Four Bearcat linemen earned post-season honors, after just six linemen with any experience and three who had started a single game entered camp that fall. Wylie began his coaching career in 1980 as offensive line coach at Brown (1980-82), continued in that role at Holy Cross in 1983-84 and was Ohio University's offensive coordinator from 1985-87. Wylie was Colorado State's O-line instructor in 1988-89 before heading for the NFL.

dogfish
01-21-2010, 11:45 PM
well, i suppose hiring coaches from the CFL is a step up from hiring them out of high school. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Also found this:

http://www.coachingthecoaches.ca/football.asp

Bob Wylie
Offensive Line Coach Saskatchewan Roughriders
Bob WylieBob joined Saskatchewan after 3 seasons as Offensive Line Coach with Winnipeg Blue Bombers; He came to the CFL after a wealth of coaching experience at five different levels of football, including Pop Warner, Junior High School, High School, College, and Pro; In the NFL Bob served as Offensive Line Coach for Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Bucaneers, Cincinnati Bengals, and the New York Jets; In the off-season, Bob is one of the organizers of the Coaches of Offensive Line Clinic (COOL Clinic) in Cincinnati which is the largest Offensive Line Coaching Clinic in the world.

titan
01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
well, i suppose hiring coaches from the CFL is a step up from hiring them out of high school. . .

Maybe the next step is hiring a CFL special teams coach; punting on 3rd down could take teams by surprise ...

dogfish
01-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Maybe the next step is hiring a CFL special teams coach; punting on 3rd down could take teams by surprise ...

as well as we did converting 3rd-and-short, that may not be a bad idea. . .

:fear:

Ziggy
01-22-2010, 12:06 AM

2 things.
1. Wylie has over a decade of NFL coaching experience, and
2. Mike Holmgren and Greg Williams got thier start as high school coaches.

Lonestar
01-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Looks like he has been around. It also seems like he has done some great coaching.

But how did he wind up in the CFL?

Get caught in the latrine with a little girl?

ikillz0mbies
01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Broncos-hire-Barone-as-offensive-line-coach.html

The Denver Broncos have hired Clarence Barone as their new offensive line coach to replace Rick Dennison, according to a league source.

Barone was previously coaching the AFC West franchise's tight ends. Dennison accepted a job as the Houston Texans' new offensive coordinator.

Barone has prior stints as an offensive line and tight ends coach for the Atlanta Falcons as well as tight ends coach for the San Diego Chargers.

Prior to coaching the Falcons, Barone had coached offensive lines at seven different colleges for 18 years. Barone has coached five Outland Trophy semifinalists and three Rimington Trophy semifinalists.

So if Wylie is the assistant o-line coach, Barone is the head o-line coach?

Mods, I feel that both my threads should be merged into one thread.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-22-2010, 12:27 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Broncos-hire-Barone-as-offensive-line-coach.html

So if Wylie is the assistant o-line coach, Barone is the head o-line coach?

Mods, I feel that both my threads should be merged into one thread.

What a confusing situation this has turned out to be.

ikillz0mbies
01-22-2010, 12:29 AM
No kidding. Someone at Dove Valley make some kind of official announcement already!

Hoser
01-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Here's an intiresting thing on Barone, the O-line coach

As a coach in the National Football League he has coached in the NFC Championship Game, The AFC Championship Game, two Pro Bowl Games (once as an Offensive Line Coach and once as the Tight Ends Coach) and has been instrumental in the development of two of the top tight ends to ever play in the NFL: Alge Crumpler of the Atlanta Falcons and Antonio Gates of the San Diego Chargers. Barone is considered, by his peers and players, to be one of the best Tight End coaches in the National Football League.

So if I'm correct, Barone is the O-line coach, and Wylie is the assistant O-line coach, right?

ikillz0mbies
01-22-2010, 01:19 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/01/21/broncos-split-o-line-coaching-job/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29

The Broncos are expected to divide the duties between two assistants to coach their offensive line.

Bob Wylie, a long-time NFL assistant who has spent the last three years in the Canadian Football League, will be an assistant offensive line coach as will Clancy Barone, who coached the team’s tight ends this past season.

The two will join incoming running backs coach Eric Studesville in new positions on the staff. Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has also interviewed both former Patriots assistant Dean Pees and Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale for the team’s defensive coordinator position. Martindale is expected by some in the league to get the nod.

Ben McDaniels, an offensive assistant for the Broncos and Josh McDaniels’ younger brother, has been considered for a larger role on the staff as well and is a possibility to replace Barone as tight ends coach.

The Broncos could formally announce their hires as soon as Friday.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 01:20 AM
What a confusing situation this has turned out to be.

It's an interesting approach though, and it's nice to see how Barone is also an excellent TE coach.

dogfish
01-22-2010, 01:27 AM
2 things.
1. Wylie has over a decade of NFL coaching experience, and
2. Mike Holmgren and Greg Williams got thier start as high school coaches.

relax. . . :D i read about his NFL coaching experience. . .

everyone's on edge around here, can't even take a dig at ben mcdaniels wihout somebody coming to the rescue. . .

:laugh:

this is a far cry from what i was hoping for, hiring joe bugel or stealing hudson houck. . . but maybe these guys can be just as good or better-- i have no idea. . . i want to think they're solid professionals. . . just because they aren't big names with flashy resumes doesn't mean they aren't competent-- but there certainly isn't anything to be excited about here, unlike last year when i was stoked to hear we were looking at nolan and capers. . . i don't know that our offense performed anywhere NEAR good enough to feel good about anyone associated with it getting a promotion, but these two should fit in well with the rest of the low-profile offensive staff. . .

honestly, i don't think josh really wants any other big reps on his side of the coaching staff, nor did i expect any top assistants to be interested in denver after the way things went down with nolan. . .

hopefully all our new coaches are stone cold pros who can get the job done at a high level. . . we'll see. . .

Hoser
01-22-2010, 01:32 AM
relax. . . :D i read about his NFL coaching experience. . .

everyone's on edge around here, can't even take a dig at ben mcdaniels wihout somebody coming to the rescue. . .

:laugh:

this is a far cry from what i was hoping for, hiring joe bugel or stealing hudson houck. . . but maybe these guys can be just as good or better-- i have no idea. . . i want to think they're solid professionals. . . just because they aren't big names with flashy resumes doesn't mean they aren't competent-- but there certainly isn't anything to be excited about here, unlike last year when i was stoked to hear we were looking at nolan and capers. . . i don't know that our offense performed anywhere NEAR good enough to feel good about anyone associated with it getting a promotion, but these two should fit in well with the rest of the low-profile offensive staff. . .

honestly, i don't think josh really wants any other big reps on his side of the coaching staff, nor did i expect any top assistants to be interested in denver after the way things went down with nolan. . .

hopefully all our new coaches are stone cold pros who can get the job done at a high level. . . we'll see. . .

Barone actually went to the Pro Bowl as an O-line coach, so he has experience there, and Wiley has been coaching O-line FOREVER.

I agree they aren't huge names, but lets see what happens during the season.

topscribe
01-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Barone actually went to the Pro Bowl as an O-line coach, so he has experience there, and Wiley has been coaching O-line FOREVER.

I agree they aren't huge names, but lets see what happens during the season.

It isn't "name" they're after, but whether they can coach.

And it sounds as if they certainly can . . .

-----

nevcraw
01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
It's an interesting approach though, and it's nice to see how Barone is also an excellent TE coach.

wasted art in this offense.. maybe that's why McD's brother could be the next tight end coach - it's one step up from spit cup holder.

broncofaninfla
01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm guessing it's being structured this way to groom baby bro into the coaching staff. But what happens when and if Mcd baby bro gets promoted to TE's coach? Will we really need two O-line coaches? With that being said I like the recent additions to the staff and feel Barone is a good choice to improve the Olines play.

JONtheBRONCO
01-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Two coaches for the offensive line makes sense to me considering the changes to the interior unit and blocking scheme that will happen off-season...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14244575

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels said he would look far and wide to cure what ailed the team this past season, and he meant it.

McDaniels has plucked an assistant coach from the Canadian Football League to be the team's assistant offensive line coach. Bob Wylie is a longtime NFL assistant who spent the last three years in the CFL — 2009 in Saskatchewan and 2008 and 2007 in Winnipeg.

Wylie, who coached at Colorado State early in his career, has coached seven Pro Bowl offensive linemen in his previous NFL stops in Arizona, Tampa Bay and Chicago. He also coached tight ends for Cincinnati and spent two years as a Jets assistant.

Wylie joins Eric Studesville as new additions to the Broncos' staff. Studesville was Buffalo's running backs coach and coordinated the team's run game in game-planning.

While Dean Pees was initially believed to have the inside track to be the team's new defensive coordinator, Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale could now get the nod after meeting with McDaniels. Pees, 60, has had some recent health issues and publicly said retirement was an option for him when he announced he was leaving the Patriots' staff.

The Broncos also were considering a larger role for Ben McDaniels, an offensive assistant who was being considered for running backs coach. Ben McDaniels is Josh McDaniels' younger brother and played for Pees at Kent State.

The Broncos are expected to formally announce at least some of the hires as soon as today.

Nomad
01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Good! McDaniels needs to get his staff set up so he can start focusing on the FA and draft. I hope Mr. Bowlen opens the pocketbook a little for all of our needs!!

2010 NFL Calendar:

Jan. 24—Conference championships.

Jan. 31—Pro Bowl, Miami.

Feb. 7—Super Bowl, Miami.

Feb. 24-March 2—NFL combine, Indianapolis.

March 5—Free agency begins.

March 21-24—Annual owners meeting, Orlando, Fla.

April 22-24—NFL draft

Superchop 7
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Very nice hire. (Best since Nolan)

Good job.

Hoser
01-22-2010, 11:49 AM
wasted art in this offense.. maybe that's why McD's brother could be the next tight end coach - it's one step up from spit cup holder.

TE's still make a decent number of receptions, but it's only if they're also excellent blockers. If Scheffler could man up and block like a starting TE I'm sure he'd have a comfy little seat in the offense for next season.

Hopefully Barone can continue to work with Quinn and turn him into Grahams eventual replacement.

weazel
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Looks like he has been around. It also seems like he has done some great coaching.

But how did he wind up in the CFL?

Get caught in the latrine with a little girl?

no, that wasnt him. That was his boss, the GM of the Saskatchewn Roughriders...

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2009/02/03/tillman.html

Saskatchewan Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman said Tuesday that people should wait for the full story behind his being charged with sexual assault before reaching any conclusions.

"I ask you to judge it as it goes forward and the facts and the truth are told," Tillman said at a late afternoon news conference.

Earlier in the day, Regina police confirmed that the 51-year-old veteran CFL executive and former broadcaster had been formally charged on Jan. 27, although details of what is alleged to have happened haven't been disclosed.

Tillman has been general manager and vice-president of football operations for the team since mid-2006. Police told CBC News on Tuesday that the charge related to an alleged incident on Aug. 6, 2008, in Regina.

The complainant, a 16-year-old girl, made her allegation three days later on Aug. 9, police spokeswoman Elizabeth Popowich told CBC News.

"It was investigated thoroughly," Popowich said. "And only when investigators are confident they have gathered all the information necessary and in a case where there is evidence to support a charge, then a charge is laid and it proceeds."

Shortly after 5 p.m. CT, Tillman provided a brief statement to reporters at a news conference at a downtown Regina Hotel.

"I've been absolutely, totally and completely co-operative," Tillman said, adding that he had "told the truth from day one."

'I've told the truth'
—Eric Tillman, Riders GM
Tillman said he had been scheduled to fly out of the country earlier in the day but canceled his plan in order to speak to the media.

"As you might imagine, this is not fun," Tillman said, flanked by his lawyer, Aaron Fox, a prominent defence counsel in Regina.

Tillman said he wanted to say more, "but out of respect to the individuals that are involved, many of whom I have profound respect for, I'll simply say that I've told the truth, [and] the process will unfold."

At a separate news conference earlier in the day at the team's offices at Mosaic Stadium, Riders club president Jim Hopson said he was "stunned" when he heard over the noon hour that Tillman was charged but added that Tillman is presumed innocent until it's proved otherwise.

He confirmed Tillman remains as general manager but has been put on paid leave and will not be involved in team operations. Head coach Ken Miller will take over some of his duties, Hopson said.

"The club is going to continue to operate on a daily basis," said Hopson, who conceded that business as usual will not be easy.

"It's going to be an emotional time for a lot of folks."

Fans, players shocked

Although Tillman was charged a week ago, Hopson said he didn't have any trouble with the fact that he didn't find out until Tuesday.

"I don't have a right as president of the club to have immediate information like that," Hopson said, adding he had known about the investigation into the allegations since September.

During Tillman's news conference, lawyer Aaron Fox told reporters that he was not even sure if the matter will go before a judge.

"I don't know that the Crown is proceeding," Fox said when asked about the next step in the judicial process. "I expect there could be a lot of developments between now and Feb. 24," the date set for Tillman to appear in provincial court in Regina.

One member of the Roughriders who didn't want to be identified said the players are shocked.

Fans of the team were similarly taken aback by the news.

"It's pretty shocking," Jason Weinkauf told CBC News at the Regina sports bar he manages.

"I thought, 'Wow'," said Weinkauf's wife, Mia, adding that she hoped the allegations were false.

"After all the Roughriders have achieved and accomplished … [and given Tillman's] age and his credibility, I was quite amazed, like, quite disappointed," Mia Weinkauf said, noting that the team had overcome other scandals with players facing charges.

Arriving in Regina midway through the 2006 season, Tillman has been popular with fans. In 2007, the Riders won their first Grey Cup championship since 1989.

Tillman was also general manager of the B.C. Lions when they won the Grey Cup in 1994.

During Tillman's tenure with Saskatchewan, the team adopted a code of conduct requiring players to obey the law, act with honesty and integrity, respect others and take responsibility for their actions.

Plans for the code came about following several high-profile conflicts with the law involving players. One player, Trevis Smith, was sentenced to six years in prison in 2007 after being convicted of two counts of aggravated sexual assault.

dogfish
01-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Two coaches for the offensive line makes sense to me considering the changes to the interior unit and blocking scheme that will happen off-season...

a dozen coaches aren't going to help that interior OL if we don't give them some legit new talent to work with. . . .

weazel
01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
a dozen coaches aren't going to help that interior OL if we don't give them some legit new talent to work with. . . .

maybe the coaches can play Tackle and Guard! Get enough of them and they will always be fresh!

JDL
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Can't see how anyone can say they are good or bad hires. They are journeymen coaches. We weren't going to get a name OL coach, those guys are Gibbs, Bugel and a couple others around the league. I don't know about Barone, but I find it funny the article credits him with the development of Gates, when that was none other than Tim Brewster, wasn't it? We didn't see much from the TEs this past year so I wouldn't necessarily say it showed he was good at that.

Simply not enough information on these guys to judge at this point. But, really, I never thought much of Dennison who seemed out of position coaching the OL. Probably ends up a wash in the coaching department. Just need more internal OL talent, do like the Jets did... focus early and heavy in the draft (they took the two top prospects at OT and C one year.)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Exactly - when Nolan left, Dave Logan stated that it does not matter who the DC is - what matters is who is on the DL. Of course, that would also apply to the OL

dogfish
01-22-2010, 02:50 PM
maybe the coaches can play Tackle and Guard! Get enough of them and they will always be fresh!

there might be some coaches around the league who could play about as well as hamilton and hoshstein did last year. . .

weazel
01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
there might be some coaches around the league who could play about as well as hamilton and hoshstein did last year. . .

sadly

weazel
01-22-2010, 06:44 PM
you want to make your OL and DL better? Just assign a full time scout in Samoa, problem solved.

Lonestar
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
you want to make your OL and DL better? Just assign a full time scout in Samoa, problem solved.

OR PAC ten teams OR BYU.

Nomad
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
OR PAC ten teams OR BYU.

Think Vandy....Iupati!!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14248185

"A day after hiring former Canadian Football Leaguer Bob Wylie to coach its offensive line, the Broncos on Friday made current assistant Clancy Barone his co-coach, according to two NFL sources.

The Broncos will divide the offensive line duties between the two assistant coaches.

Barone last season coached Denver's tight ends. He will be in his seventh NFL season and second with the Broncos after arriving from San Diego. He also coached collegiately for 17 years, including a three-year stint at Wyoming.

Before his two seasons coaching the Chargers' tight ends, Barone coached tight ends and was an assistant offensive line coach with the Falcons.

Wylie is a long-time NFL assistant who spent the past three years in the CFL."

Hopefully they each have expertise in different areas of the OL, and we will have a "total" coaching package.

JDL
01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I was thinking about this earlier.... Wylie must be targeted for his pass blocking because nobody really runs the damn ball in the CFL... I would think he handles pass blocking and Barone handles run blocking... (I would guess TE coaches, when he was, don't need to teach as much pass blocking as run blocking to their TEs.)

JDL
01-22-2010, 09:32 PM
OR PAC ten teams OR BYU.

Actually, BC historically is probably the best for interior OL, Snee, Nalen, Kendall, Damien Woody ... even late round guys like Dan Koppen perform well at the NFL level... that school is just fantastic and they have a good center prospect this year I hope we take in round 3, if he's there.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-22-2010, 09:58 PM

"A day after hiring former Canadian Football Leaguer Bob Wylie to coach its offensive line, the Broncos on Friday made current assistant Clancy Barone his co-coach, according to two NFL sources.

The Broncos will divide the offensive line duties between the two assistant coaches.

Barone last season coached Denver's tight ends. He will be in his seventh NFL season and second with the Broncos after arriving from San Diego. He also coached collegiately for 17 years, including a three-year stint at Wyoming.

Before his two seasons coaching the Chargers' tight ends, Barone coached tight ends and was an assistant offensive line coach with the Falcons.

Hopefully they each have expertise in different areas of the OL, and we will have a "total" coaching package.

Hmm, two cooks, one kitchen. Could work, might just make a mess of the situation.

Lonestar
01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
The Power of Positive thinking, eh?

nevcraw
01-22-2010, 10:17 PM

One will coach the OL in front of the line of scrimmage (clady) and the other will coach the guys behind it on proper technique for being pushed into the QB and ball carrier.

weazel
01-27-2010, 01:53 PM
OR PAC ten teams OR BYU.

or this dude, in 3 years... http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=66585&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player%3frecruitId%3d66585%26season%3d2010