PDA

View Full Version : The MLB Fantasy Thread

MOtorboat
03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm really into fantasy baseball...I'm really into baseball, period.

So, here's my first draft this year...ESPN 5x5 Roto:

C - Jarrod Saltalamacchia
1B - James Loney
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Miguel Cabrera
SS - Troy Tulowitzki
2B/SS - Howie Kendrick
1B/3B - Chone Figgins
OF - Grady Sizemore
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Curtis Granderson
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Kosuke Fukudome
UTIL - Mark Ellis
Ben - Billy Butler
Ben - Conor Jackson
Ben - Rick Ankiel
P - Daisuke Matsuzaka
P - Tim Lincecum
P - Chad Billingsly
P - John Maine
P - Jeff Francis
P - Tom Gorzelanny
P - Billy Wagner
P - Matt Capps
P - Jaokim Soria

What do you think?

MOtorboat
03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Bump, here's the order in which I drafted them in, I had the Sixth pick in the first round, fourth in the second and so on...

1 (6) - Miguel Cabrera
2 (15) - Grady Sizemore
3 (26) - Carlos Beltran
4 (35) - Shone Figgins
5 (46) - Curtis Granderson
6 (55) - Troy Tulowitski
7 (66) - Ian Kinsler
8 (75) - Hunter Pence
9 (86) - Daisuke Matsuzaka
10 (95) - Billy Wagner
11 (106) - Howie Kendrick
12 (115) - Tim Lincecum
13 (126) - James Loney
14 (135) - Matt Capps
15 (146) - Chad Billingsley
16 (155) - John Maine
17 (166) - Joakim Soria
18 (175) - Jeff Francis
19 (186) - Tom Gorzelanny
20 (195) - Kosuke Fukudome
21 (206) - Mark Ellis
22 (215) - Billy Butler
23 (226) - Conor Jackson
24 (235) - Rick Ankiel
25 (246) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia

In-com-plete
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
I think you got a hell of a team. Steals on the 2 Dodgers. Billingsley and Loney are gonna tear it up this year.

What round and pick did Kemp go?

MOtorboat
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I think you got a hell of a team. Steals on the 2 Dodgers. Billingsley and Loney are gonna tear it up this year.

What round and pick did Kemp go?

Pick 78 in Round 8...I was contemplating between him or Pence in Round 8. I chose Pence with the 75th pick.

CoachChaz
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Pick 78 in Round 8...I was contemplating between him or Pence in Round 8. I chose Pence with the 75th pick.

Smart move

MOtorboat
03-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Smart move

Thanks Coach...I also think I got a steal in the last round with Saltalamacchia, if he can win the starting job. It's only a 10-team league, so there are plenty of other catchers out there if he doesn't. If he wins the job, I think he can rake in that ballpark.

CoachChaz
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks Coach...I also think I got a steal in the last round with Saltalamacchia, if he can win the starting job. It's only a 10-team league, so there are plenty of other catchers out there if he doesn't. If he wins the job, I think he can rake in that ballpark.

He'll see alot of time at 1B and DH as well. One way or another, he'll get his AB's. I think he can be pretty solid, too.

In-com-plete
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Billingsley went 12-5 with a 3.31 ERA last year, his second in the major leagues. "I've faced him since I was 18 years old," Braves right fielder Jeff Francoeur said of Billingsley. "I've said since the first time I faced him that he was going to be a big-time pitcher. And he already is. Have you seen his legs? One of his legs is bigger than both of mine."

One NL West manager said last season that "Billingsley will be the best pitcher in our division" within two years. That's some statement, given that Jake Peavy and Brandon Webb also pitch in the division.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3272282

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
SALTY TO MINORS? (10:43 a.m. ET)
The key player acquired by the Rangers in last year's blockbuster trade that sent slugger Mark Teixeira to Atlanta might be starting this season in the minors.

Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia said he thinks he's heading to the minors, even though he has a higher batting average (.276 vs. .263) and on-base percentage (.300 vs. .282) this spring than the player he's competing with for the Rangers' starting spot.

"I think there are only two scenarios that can happen," Saltalamacchia said, according to the Dallas Morning. "Either they trade [Laird] or I go to Oklahoma. And I don't think they are trading him."

Because he has a minor league option left, Saltalamacchia is likely to lose a close battle with Laird.

"Look, I think we've both had very good springs," he said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "I think we've both done all that has been asked of us. I don't think I need to be at Triple-A, but at the same time, if they want us both to play every day, well ..."

Ah, crap.

Rex
03-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Saltalamaccia and Billy Butler that late? Nice.

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Saltalamaccia and Billy Butler that late? Nice.

I thought so too, but Salty might be headed to Oklahoma...meaning I have to find a catcher. Maybe John Buck will finally turn the corner...:elefant:

Rex
03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I thought so too, but Salty might be headed to Oklahoma...meaning I have to find a catcher. Maybe John Buck will finally turn the corner...:elefant:

He did turn the corner...he just got 1/2 the ABs he needed because Buddy had a boner for LaRue.

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 11:48 AM
He did turn the corner...he just got 1/2 the ABs he needed because Buddy had a boner for LaRue.

Fell off in the second half...and now we have Olivo...Hillman better give Buck the time he needs.

Rex
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Fell off in the second half...and now we have Olivo...Hillman better give Buck the time he needs.

Well Olivo is already pissed off that he wont start..right?

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Doesn't make sense. Salty and Laird are the only two catchers on the roster. I don't understand why Washington would send Salty down instead of platooning him with Laird at C and Broussard at 1B and a little DH.

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Well Olivo is already pissed off that he wont start..right?

That's the rumor...it seems to have died down in the last two weeks though...

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Wait...I forgot about Melhuse. He had a good spring as well.

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Doesn't make sense. Salty and Laird are the only two catchers on the roster. I don't understand why Washington would send Salty down instead of platooning him with Laird at C and Broussard at 1B and a little DH.

You're right, it doesn't make a lot of sense to send your only other catcher down, especially when Saltalamacchia is hitting better than Laird.

Maybe it's him just venting.

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 11:57 AM
You're right, it doesn't make a lot of sense to send your only other catcher down, especially when Saltalamacchia is hitting better than Laird.

Maybe it's him just venting.

Well, Salty didn't have a great spring and Laird did.

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, Salty didn't have a great spring and Laird did.

Well crap.

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Well crap.

Salty hit .182 with a homer and 4 RBI...Laird hit .290 with 4 HR and 8 RBI.

However...I drafted Josh Hamilton and he tore it up this spring. He's going to be a monster in Texas. Spring numbers....556, 2, 13

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Salty hit .182 with a homer and 4 RBI...Laird hit .290 with 4 HR and 8 RBI.

However...I drafted Josh Hamilton and he tore it up this spring. He's going to be a monster in Texas. Spring numbers....556, 2, 13

I misread it then...I thought it said Salty was hitting better...

OK...who would you pick up?
Ramon Hernandez, Bal
Paul Lo Duca, Was
Carlos Ruiz, Phi
Josh Bard, SD
Jason Kendall, Mil
Ronny Paulino, Pit

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Ramon Hernandez, Bal
Paul Lo Duca, Was
Carlos Ruiz, Phi
Josh Bard, SD
Jason Kendall, Mil
Ronny Paulino, Pit

I think Hernandez or Paulino are more likely to get you your fantasy numbers. Kendall has ZERO power, Ruiz and Bard are barely better than Kendall, Lo Duca won't be any good since he's off the juice. The Paulino situation depends on how much time he splits with Ryan Doumit...who is just as good. The thing with Paulino is his size. No too many 245 pound catchers can stay strong in August and September.

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I think Hernandez or Paulino are more likely to get you your fantasy numbers. Kendall has ZERO power, Ruiz and Bard are barely better than Kendall, Lo Duca won't be any good since he's off the juice. The Paulino situation depends on how much time he splits with Ryan Doumit...who is just as good. The thing with Paulino is his size. No too many 245 pound catchers can stay strong in August and September.

I saw Doumit on that list too...he might see some time in the OF.

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 12:16 PM
I saw Doumit on that list too...he might see some time in the OF.

Yeah...he's a pretty versatile guy. But at best he'll platoon since Nady, Bay and McLouth seem to have the starting spots. Duffy splits time in CF and Doumit will get a few in RF, but nothing spectacular.

Hernandez could be trade bait as well, so I think I'd take Paulino out of that crowd.

MHCBill
03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Ramon Hernandez... hitter's park

BOSSHOGG30
03-24-2008, 01:08 PM

Ramon Hernandez, Bal
Paul Lo Duca, Was
Carlos Ruiz, Phi
Josh Bard, SD
Jason Kendall, Mil
Ronny Paulino, Pit

Josh Bard or the young catcher from the Astros

BOSSHOGG30
03-24-2008, 01:08 PM
MB is an ass and picked up my catcher from Oakland

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 01:42 PM
MB is an ass and picked up my catcher from Oakland

:noidea:

My catcher in that league is Geovany Soto...so if you mean the young Cubs catcher...I would then agree.

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Josh Bard or the young catcher from the Astros

Bard has limited power. Towles would be nice, but I want to see how they split time between him, Quintero and Ausmus.

CoachChaz
03-24-2008, 02:32 PM

My catcher in that league is Geovany Soto...so if you mean the young Cubs catcher...I would then agree.

Soto has looked like crap this spring.

BOSSHOGG30
03-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Yeah, that is my guy MB, you stole him... thanks for telling me the wrong draft time buddy. ;)

MOtorboat
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, that is my guy MB, you stole him... thanks for telling me the wrong draft time buddy. ;)

I told you the wrong time?

Was I :beer:

In-com-plete
03-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Opinions on my team. There are no pitchers in this league. Just individual pitching staffs.

Starters:
C - Martin
1B - Pujols
2B - Upton
SS - Furcal
3B - Atkins
OF - Swisher
OF - Hunter
OF - Hawpe
P - Detroit

Bench:
2B - Ellis
SS - Betancourt
3B - Kouzmanoff
OF - Drew
OF - Ankiel
OF - Francoeur

MOtorboat
03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Opinions on my team. There are no pitchers in this league. Just individual pitching staffs.

Starters:
C - Martin
1B - Pujols
2B - Upton
SS - Furcal
3B - Atkins
OF - Swisher
OF - Hunter
OF - Hawpe
P - Detroit

Bench:
2B - Ellis
SS - Betancourt
3B - Kouzmanoff
OF - Drew
OF - Ankiel
OF - Francoeur

The Pitching Staff thing is kind of interesting...never played in a league like that. What round did you have to pick them to get Detroit?

You'll love have Russell Martin at catcher. You might want to strengthen the middle of the field a little (SS/2B), but you have Betancourt on the bench, too. I think it looks pretty good, as long as those guys all put up the numbers we think they can.

Get rid of Drew, and find someone else...Drew is an injury liability and just doesn't produce...I stuck a whole season with him two years ago, it was hell. You'll probably end up starting Francouer.

In-com-plete
03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
The Pitching Staff thing is kind of interesting...never played in a league like that. What round did you have to pick them to get Detroit?

You'll love have Russell Martin at catcher. You might want to strengthen the middle of the field a little (SS/2B), but you have Betancourt on the bench, too. I think it looks pretty good, as long as those guys all put up the numbers we think they can.

Get rid of Drew, and find someone else...Drew is an injury liability and just doesn't produce...I stuck a whole season with him two years ago, it was hell. You'll probably end up starting Francouer.

The pitching staff was a huge seller on bringing people into my league. I think 8 had never played fantasy baseball and the other 4 including myself had only played 1 or 2 years. Playing with all those pitchers and changing the lineup like everyday is too much of a hassle.

I'm a Dodgers fan so i had to take Martin in the third as there's no way he'd of made it back to me. Got stuck with horrible catchers last year and wasn't about to settle for another Soto/Ramon Hernandez type platoon this year.

About Furcal, I had him last year and the draft was the day before that sprained ankle that hampered him all year. I think he'll be about the 5th-7th best SS this year. And he was the 7th SS taken I believe.

My plan with Upton was to use him as an outfielder. But then, like always when I draft, I got all flustered and didn't realize only Kent and Ellis were the only quality second basemen available after my 7th round pick. I had Weeks targeted in the 7th but saw Hunter there and forgot all about Weeks.

I took the Tigers in the 9th round. And they were the 10th pitching staff taken. The only other staff worth taking was the Yankees who went at the end of that round. And I'm as anti-Yankee as anyone out there.

But going by MLB's point projections, I have the #2 catcher, the #2 first baseman, the #3 second baseman, the #6 third baseman, the #8 SS, and the 6th (Swisher), the 20th (Hawpe), the 28th (Hunter), 39th (Drew), and 40th (Francoeur) ranked outfielders. I fully expect Drew to come on strong this year. I took him with my last pick (round 15) and figured it's not a big deal if I drop him. Same goes for Ankiel. Took him in the 14th round and thought I may be able to trade him for Matt Kemp by the end of April. But I have a feeling I won't want to. 11 HRs in 150 or so ABs last year. He may hit 35-40.

Only regret I may have is taking Pujols over Cabrera in the first round. And maybe Furcal over Hardy. Although like I said, I'm a Dodgers fan. :D

** Edit:
I had Francoeur last year also. My parents came to visit me this weekend and my dad sat behind me the entire draft. It's the 11th round and I saw him sitting there. My dad went ape shit. "Why the hell is Francoeur still there" he said. I was all ready to pick Kemp but couldn't pass up Francoeur.

MOtorboat
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
The pitching staff was a huge seller on bringing people into my league. I think 8 had never played fantasy baseball and the other 4 including myself had only played 1 or 2 years. Playing with all those pitchers and changing the lineup like everyday is too much of a hassle.

I'm a Dodgers fan so i had to take Martin in the third as there's no way he'd of made it back to me. Got stuck with horrible catchers last year and wasn't about to settle for another Soto/Ramon Hernandez type platoon this year.

About Furcal, I had him last year and the draft was the day before that sprained ankle that hampered him all year. I think he'll be about the 5th-7th best SS this year. And he was the 7th SS taken I believe.

My plan with Upton was to use him as an outfielder. But then, like always when I draft, I got all flustered and didn't realize only Kent and Ellis were the only quality second basemen available after my 7th round pick. I had Weeks targeted in the 7th but saw Hunter there and forgot all about Weeks.

I took the Tigers in the 9th round. And they were the 10th pitching staff taken. The only other staff worth taking was the Yankees who went at the end of that round. And I'm as anti-Yankee as anyone out there.

But going by MLB's point projections, I have the #2 catcher, the #2 first baseman, the #3 second baseman, the #6 third baseman, the #8 SS, and the 6th (Swisher), the 20th (Hawpe), the 28th (Hunter), 39th (Drew), and 40th (Francoeur) ranked outfielders. I fully expect Drew to come on strong this year. I took him with my last pick (round 15) and figured it's not a big deal if I drop him. Same goes for Ankiel. Took him in the 14th round and thought I may be able to trade him for Matt Kemp by the end of April. But I have a feeling I won't want to. 11 HRs in 150 or so ABs last year. He may hit 35-40.

Only regret I may have is taking Pujols over Cabrera in the first round. And maybe Furcal over Hardy. Although like I said, I'm a Dodgers fan. :D

** Edit:
I had Francoeur last year also. My parents came to visit me this weekend and my dad sat behind me the entire draft. It's the 11th round and I saw him sitting there. My dad went ape shit. "Why the hell is Francoeur still there" he said. I was all ready to pick Kemp but couldn't pass up Francoeur.

Detroit was the 10th pitching staff taken? Wow...

I guess I need to do my research, Upton is projecting out huge, and Furcal is a good SS, if you've got the other three infielders you have...especially with a catcher. I guess according to rankings, you might need some outfield help, although I think Francoeur is underrated in fantasy. New scenery might vault Hunter's numbers a little. Like I said, I'd still try to get rid of Drew. Try to trade him first, but you may just have to release him. I've been working all day, so I haven't seen how serious his back is.

slim
03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I signed up for a Yahoo public league today...because my "friends" here hung me out to dry.

MOtorboat
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
I signed up for a Yahoo public league today...because my "friends" here hung me out to dry.

OK *******, which league is it, I'll go join.

CoachChaz
03-26-2008, 07:47 AM

I was all ready to pick Kemp but couldn't pass up Francoeur.

You have to wonder what LA thinks about Kemp. He batted .342 and they are still reluctant to start him this year, and they were way too willing to give him up in a potential deal for Erik Bedard. Gotta be more to that scenario than what appears, so good job taking Francouer

I would have taken Cabrera over Pujols as well, just simply based on the fact that it is inevitable that Albert is eventually going to have to miss some significant playing time to get the bone chips removed from his elbow. Should have done it in the off-season.

In-com-plete
03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
You have to wonder what LA thinks about Kemp. He batted .342 and they are still reluctant to start him this year, and they were way too willing to give him up in a potential deal for Erik Bedard. Gotta be more to that scenario than what appears, so good job taking Francouer

I would have taken Cabrera over Pujols as well, just simply based on the fact that it is inevitable that Albert is eventually going to have to miss some significant playing time to get the bone chips removed from his elbow. Should have done it in the off-season.
I was scared to death they were gonna trade Kemp. Don't see any reason they'd even think about trading him. Either they are/were super high on Bedard or not as high on Kemp as everyone else is. But this whole 4 outfielder thing is a fiasco. They never should have signed Pierre.

Felt like the Pujols and Cabrera pick was six of one, half-dozen of the other. Figured it'd be like those two lines at the grocery store you're trying to figure out which one to get in. Doesn't really matter because it's guaranteed the other one's faster. :mad:

CoachChaz
03-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm glad LA didn't make the deal for Bedard. The O's got a better deal from Seattle and got a better player in Jones and a future stud in Tillman.

BOSSHOGG30
03-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I like Kemp... He should have a good year. He lost like 20 or 30 pounds and he should be faster and healthier for the season. Plus he is on my fantasy team so he better do good or else I will cut him. (lots of pressure on him there)

CoachChaz
03-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I like Kemp... He should have a good year. He lost like 20 or 30 pounds and he should be faster and healthier for the season. Plus he is on my fantasy team so he better do good or else I will cut him. (lots of pressure on him there)

Everything about him says superstar, but the Dodgers seem to be higher on Ethier. We'll see how it all pans out for him, but I foresee Kemp being dealt by the deadline.

In-com-plete
03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Everything about him says superstar, but the Dodgers seem to be higher on Ethier. We'll see how it all pans out for him, but I foresee Kemp being dealt by the deadline.

You shut your ******* mouth!

BOSSHOGG30
03-26-2008, 10:12 AM

He would do well in a Red Sox uniform.

In-com-plete
03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
He would do well in a Red Sox uniform.

The Sox wanted him 2 years ago. They offered Manny for Kemp and Broxton. Of course the Dodgers turned it down.

CoachChaz
03-26-2008, 10:15 AM
The Sox wanted him 2 years ago. They offered Manny for Kemp and Broxton. Of course the Dodgers turned it down.

Which is weird because the same 2 names were offered for Bedard and Angelos turned it down. He wanted Loney in the deal too, but LA was a little too smart to do that

BOSSHOGG30
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Dodgers need to move the the American League... they always build their team as if they need or have a DH. They need to learn to build a team more suited for the National League.

CoachChaz
03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
The dumbest thing they did was sign Jones. The Pierre signing is questionable, but he's much cheaper and with Kemp, Ethier and Young all ready to play out there, they have a solid OF for the next 10 years.

Jones, Kemp, Ethier, Pierre, Young, Martin, Loney, Kent, Furcal and the logjam at 3rd with LaRoche, Abreu and Nomar...they definately have enough bats.

Lowe, Penny, Schmidt, Billingsley are solid starters. Broxton, Loaiza, Seanez and Takashi make a solid pen.

They could make it tough for Colorado to repeat if the youngsters pan out.

MOtorboat
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Coach, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about :wave:

CoachChaz
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Coach, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about :wave:

I may come up with some dumb shit when it comes to football or basketball, but baseball is my life.

MOtorboat
03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
I wish I held on to that BA subscription, I could talk prospects with you a little better...

CoachChaz
03-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I wish I held on to that BA subscription, I could talk prospects with you a little better...

You can still access alot of the site without the subscription. They are more lenient than they use to be.

MOtorboat
03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
You can still access alot of the site without the subscription. They are more lenient than they use to be.

Yeah, I haven't looked at it much this year...

I like Buster Olney's blog on ESPN...he links to stories from all over...it is Insider. Their Spring Training blog has been helpful too.

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Nothing drives me more nuts in fantasy sports than the person who sends you an e-mail that says..."I like Maglio Ordonez, look at my roster and make me an offer"

No, dipshit...you're the one that wants Maglio, make ME the offer...

Tned
03-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Nothing drives me more nuts in fantasy sports than the person who sends you an e-mail that says..."I like Maglio Ordonez, look at my roster and make me an offer"

Ditto.

I have my two fantasy drafts next Saturday. One at 9am and the other at 6:30pm about two hours drive apart. Over the years we have settled on drafting after the season starts, as we don't have bench players and don't allow FA pickups for 6 weeks, except for DL players or players sent to the minors.

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Ditto.

I have my two fantasy drafts next Saturday. One at 9am and the other at 6:30pm about two hours drive apart. Over the years we have settled on drafting after the season starts, as we don't have bench players and don't allow FA pickups for 6 weeks, except for DL players or players sent to the minors.

That type of offer is so freakin' common...it drives me nuts.

I just joined a Dynasty Sim Football League, the guy that was advertising here...

I can't even count the number of those threads on their web site..."I've got X player available, make me an offer."

And then, when you make an offer, they tell you that's not what they were looking for...ugh...trading can drive me crazy.

My boss at work did that to me all year in fantasy football. I was playing with a bunch of rooks, who didn't value running back enough, so I was stocked...and he kept saying, "I need a running back, make me an offer." It's like NO! You are the one that has the need, you need to make me an offer. I'm perfectly happy sitting on what I've got...

Sorry, rant done.

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I just had a guy draft Tim Hudson with the 13th pick...

Wow...and I thought the guy who drafted Jeter in the first round was crazy...

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Wow, the guy took Peavy and Hudson with his first two picks...

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, a little advice this year...take outfielders early and often...

With that said, this league I'm drafting in right now has left me an incredible infield.

(Fourth pick, then 17th pick and so on)
1B, Lance Berkman (4th round), No. 5 1B
2B, Brandon Phillips (3rd), No. 2 2B
3B, Ryan Braun (2nd), No. 4 3B
SS, Hanley Ramirez (1st), No. 1 SS

...and now Eric Byrnes, a pretty good pick up in the 5th round.

In-com-plete
03-30-2008, 05:11 PM

It's funny you say this. About 2 hours ago I get a call from my uncle and he wants Jeff Francouer. So he wants me to figure out a trade.

OK, Francouer, J.D. Drew, and B.J. Upton for Delmon Young, Matt Kemp, and Chase Utley is what I tell him. I thought it was a pretty good trade. He shot that down and just wanted to do a Kemp for Francouer trade, of which he'd already offered to me on the site. I told him if I wanted Kemp over Francouer I would have drafted Kemp when they were both on the board.

So then I offer Francouer, Brad Hawpe, and Upton for Young, Ichiro, and Utley. Which in my opinion is ripping him off but he also shot that down.

Anyway, we settled on Francouer and Upton for Kemp and Utley. I think I'm getting a little of the shaft but figure I'm upgrading a starter and losing a little on my 4th outfield spot.

But it's like what you're saying. If you want the guy, you make the trade and you're gonna have to give a little on the price. This ain't freakin' e-bay and it not an "or best offer" kinda thing we got going on here.

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 05:17 PM
It's funny you say this. About 2 hours ago I get a call from my uncle and he wants Jeff Francouer. So he wants me to figure out a trade.

OK, Francouer, J.D. Drew, and B.J. Upton for Delmon Young, Matt Kemp, and Chase Utley is what I tell him. I thought it was a pretty good trade. He shot that down and just wanted to do a Kemp for Francouer trade, of which he'd already offered to me on the site. I told him if I wanted Kemp over Francouer I would have drafted Kemp when they were both on the board.

So then I offer Francouer, Brad Hawpe, and Upton for Young, Ichiro, and Utley. Which in my opinion is ripping him off but he also shot that down.

Anyway, we settled on Francouer and Upton for Kemp and Utley. I think I'm getting a little of the shaft but figure I'm upgrading a starter and losing a little on my 4th outfield spot.

But it's like what you're saying. If you want the guy, you make the trade and you're gonna have to give a little on the price. This ain't freakin' e-bay and it not an "or best offer" kinda thing we got going on here.

Hell...after the first shut down, I would have left it alone. Make him make the deal. If the best he can do is one-for-one and you chose one over the other in the draft, that's a no-brainer NO for me.

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 05:39 PM
These are based on ESPN's projections:

Trade 1 R HR RBI SB Avg
Jeff Francouer 86 24 104 11 .286
BJ Upton 94 23 83 20 .289
J.D. Drew 79 15 58 3 .277
Total 259 62 245 34 .284

Trade 1 R HR RBI SB Avg
Delmon Young 69 15 71 12 .296
Matt Kemp 75 16 63 16 .314
Chase Utley 123 29 110 13 .321
Total 267 60 244 41 .310

Trade 2 R HR RBI SB Avg
Brad Hawpe 77 27 106 2 .292
Total 257 74 293 33 .289

Trade 2 R HR RBI SB Avg
Delmon Young 69 15 71 12 .296
Ichiro Suzuki 110 7 63 30 .320
Total 302 51 244 55 .312

Trade 3 R HR RBI SB Avg

Trade 3 R HR RBI SB Avg

Trade 4 R HR RBI SB Avg
Total 180 47 187 31 .288

Trade 4 R HR RBI SB Avg
Total 198 45 173 29 .318

The first trade would have been a decent trade, you get some more stolen bases and better average, which is why he probably shut it down.

Trade two has you getting more R and HR for him getting more SB and Avg.

It was smart of you to not take the straight up.

Trade four sees you getting better average and him a few more RBIs, but it's pretty close.

I would say Trade 2 was the best of the bunch, even wise. Trade 1 was weighted more for you, meanwhile 3 and 4 were more weighted to him and not you, imo.

In-com-plete
03-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I wanted him to accept the Delmon Young and Drew trade. I actually think that's pretty even. When my uncle, who doesn't know much about baseball, drafted Young I thought it was a good pick. I was like man...he's really done his homework. Then talking to him after the draft he was all pissed he drafted him. His explanation, "I thought I was drafting Dimitri Young".

Now, he won't let him go. I guess he knows a little more than I thought. He called Drew a bum. :laugh:

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I wanted him to accept the Delmon Young and Drew trade. I actually think that's pretty even. When my uncle, who doesn't know much about baseball, drafted Young I thought it was a good pick. I was like man...he's really done his homework. Then talking to him after the draft he was all pissed he drafted him. His explanation, "I thought I was drafting Dimitri Young".

Now, he won't let him go. I guess he knows a little more than I thought. He called Drew a bum. :laugh:

Drew is a bum, why did you draft him? :wave:

In-com-plete
03-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Drew is a bum, why did you draft him? :wave:

Partially because there was like nobody else out there. And I do expect him to have a better year than last. Assuming he's healthy. But it was in the last round and I just figured what the hell.

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Partially because there was like nobody else out there. And I do expect him to have a better year than last. Assuming he's healthy. But it was in the last round and I just figured what the hell.

In the last round...OK...how many team league, I guarantee I could find you a steal instead of that injured bum. I would have tried to draft on upside, a young player who could have a breakout year, like Lastings Milledge (thinking of him, because I'm watching the game...) or someone like that.

P.S. My hostility comes from my own idiocy of trying to stick with him for an entire year two years ago...

In-com-plete
03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
In the last round...OK...how many team league, I guarantee I could find you a steal instead of that injured bum. I would have tried to draft on upside, a young player who could have a breakout year, like Lastings Milledge (thinking of him, because I'm watching the game...) or someone like that.

P.S. My hostility comes from my own idiocy of trying to stick with him for an entire year two years ago...
Well, I always liked Drew. With Stl, Atl, my Dodgers, and even after he left and screwed us. But I have my eye on a couple people. Ethier, Michael Bourn, Gary Mathews JR, Garret Anderson, Josh Fields (when he gets called back up), and my boy Milton Bradley. But here's some of the top projected outfielders available right now:

Chris Duncan
Ryan Church
Moises Alou
Gary Matthews Jr.
Luke Scott
Adam Jones
Brian Giles
Garret Anderson
Jay Bruce
Cameron Maybin
Shannon Stewart
Xavier Nady
Jason Kubel
Geoff Jenkins
Brad Wilkerson
Corey Patterson
Felix Pie
Nate McLouth
Marlon Byrd
Jonny Gomes
Reggie Willits
Jose Bautista
David DeJesus
Randy Winn

MOtorboat
03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Well...if Ethier is available, he's been named the starter in right field for the Dodgers, which you should know...

I like DeJesus to have a good year for the Royals (my boys, well, one of my teams...Rocks and Royals)...Ahead of Drew, though...I don't know.

I might take Garrett Anderson over Drew. If you needs some SBs and Avg., Gary Matthews is a good pickup.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 08:34 AM
OK, Coach, what do you think.

I'm sitting in a situation in a league where I don't have a shortstop backup. I've got Hanley Ramirez sitting at SS and Julio Lugo in the 2B/SS position. My utility guy is Jose Guillen, and I have 3B (Iwamura) and two OF (Kearns and Bradley) on the bench...Stephen Drew is available. Should I take a flyer and get rid of Kearns or Bradley?

CoachChaz
04-03-2008, 08:38 AM
OK, Coach, what do you think.

I'm sitting in a situation in a league where I don't have a shortstop backup. I've got Hanley Ramirez sitting at SS and Julio Lugo in the 2B/SS position. My utility guy is Jose Guillen, and I have 3B (Iwamura) and two OF (Kearns and Bradley) on the bench...Stephen Drew is available. Should I take a flyer and get rid of Kearns or Bradley?

Do you really need the backup at SS? Ramirez doesn't exactly miss alot of games.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Do you really need the backup at SS? Ramirez doesn't exactly miss alot of games.

No, but I was just curious about what you thought of Stephen Drew over Kearns or Bradley, since I have basically three backup outfielders.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Everyone's dropping Frank Thomas. Is there something I missed?

CoachChaz
04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Everyone's dropping Frank Thomas. Is there something I missed?

Never know when Frank will be out for awhile. Same with Bradley. Wouldn't be a horrible idea to drop him and go with Drew.

MOtorboat
04-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Never know when Frank will be out for awhile. Same with Bradley. Wouldn't be a horrible idea to drop him and go with Drew.

That's what I've been thinking all morning.

MOtorboat
04-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Well...I see the Dodgers pitched Billingsly for two innings last night. :confused:

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Well, I think I just made a great free agent pickup, especially after you see who I had starting there.

I had a 1B/3B spot with Edwin Encarnacion. He was sucking it up, like .084 BA...and Mark Reynolds was sitting out there. I think it's a great swap. Coach...thoughts?

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Well, I think I just made a great free agent pickup, especially after you see who I had starting there.

I had a 1B/3B spot with Edwin Encarnacion. He was sucking it up, like .084 BA...and Mark Reynolds was sitting out there. I think it's a great swap. Coach...thoughts?

Hell yeah! Encarnacion will end up with decent numbers, but I think Reynolds will be a stud. He's got the potential for 30+ HR's and a .350+ OBP. With 5 dingers already and batting in between Jackson and Upton, he could have an All-Star type year.

Nice swap.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Hell yeah! Encarnacion will end up with decent numbers, but I think Reynolds will be a stud. He's got the potential for 30+ HR's and a .350+ OBP. With 5 dingers already and batting in between Jackson and Upton, he could have an All-Star type year.

Nice swap.

I also scooped up Reynolds and Nate McLouth (although I'm skeptical on that one)...in another league, and got rid of Joey Votto and Milton Bradley, and I'm pending to pick up J.J. Hardy and dropping Aaron Hill. I'm dropping Hill most likely anyway, I'm sixth in the waiver order.

A guy dropped Hardy for Doumit...beats me, but it could be a good guess.

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I also scooped up Reynolds and Nate McLouth (although I'm skeptical on that one)...in another league, and got rid of Joey Votto and Milton Bradley, and I'm pending to pick up J.J. Hardy and dropping Aaron Hill. I'm dropping Hill most likely anyway, I'm sixth in the waiver order.

A guy dropped Hardy for Doumit...beats me, but it could be a good guess.

I don'r see Hardy putting up the numbers he had last year, so the swap for Doumit might be smart. Why did you drop Votto for McLouth? McLouth has never done anything special and Votto will eventually come around in that Reds Lineup. You may regret that swap eventually.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I don'r see Hardy putting up the numbers he had last year, so the swap for Doumit might be smart. Why did you drop Votto for McLouth? McLouth has never done anything special and Votto will eventually come around in that Reds Lineup. You may regret that swap eventually.

I can see that, but Votto is sharing time and McLouth isn't, at least for now. I needed a better option than Hill at 2B/SS, and so that's why I'm adding Hardy, I guess the other guy probably liked the idea of hitting catcher rather than a third shortstop, which isn't bad either.

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I can see that, but Votto is sharing time and McLouth isn't, at least for now. I needed a better option than Hill at 2B/SS, and so that's why I'm adding Hardy, I guess the other guy probably liked the idea of hitting catcher rather than a third shortstop, which isn't bad either.

Hatteberg's days are numbered. His defense is weak and his numbers are dropping. I just don't see them sticking with him too long when they have another young stud LH waiting to take over. Even in a platoon situation, I could see Votto matching McLouth's numbers. JMO.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Hatteberg's days are numbered. His defense is weak and his numbers are dropping. I just don't see them sticking with him too long when they have another young stud LH waiting to take over. Even in a platoon situation, I could see Votto matching McLouth's numbers. JMO.

I'll keep an eye on it, thanks Coach.

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 10:26 AM
I'll keep an eye on it, thanks Coach.

I could be wrong and McLouth could tear it up, but his best year was last year hitting .258/13/38. He's still young, but I just don't see him making much bigger strides...especially in that lineup.

In-com-plete
04-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I need a little advice for my league.

I feel like my infield is set with Russell Martin, Pujols, Utley, Furcal, and Atkins/Kouzmanoff. My outfield is what I'm a little concerned about. Swisher, Ankiel, and Torii Hunter are my starters right now with Drew, Kemp, Hawpe, and Bourn on the bench.

Hunter Pence just got dropped and Carlos Gomez is available. Do you think I should drop anyone to pick either of these guys up? If so, who?

And Mark Reynolds is out there also. I feel like I have 2 pretty good thirdbasemen already and don't know for sure if this Reynolds guy is for real. One thing I do know is, those 3 dongs he hit against the Dodgers were bombs.

CoachChaz
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I need a little advice for my league.

I feel like my infield is set with Russell Martin, Pujols, Utley, Furcal, and Atkins/Kouzmanoff. My outfield is what I'm a little concerned about. Swisher, Ankiel, and Torii Hunter are my starters right now with Drew, Kemp, Hawpe, and Bourn on the bench.

Hunter Pence just got dropped and Carlos Gomez is available. Do you think I should drop anyone to pick either of these guys up? If so, who?

And Mark Reynolds is out there also. I feel like I have 2 pretty good thirdbasemen already and don't know for sure if this Reynolds guy is for real. One thing I do know is, those 3 dongs he hit against the Dodgers were bombs.

Reynolds will be a stud. I'd drop Kouzmanoff for him, but keep Atkins. As long as he plays in Colorado, he can put up some numbers.

Pence has gotten off to a bad start, but batting around Berkman, Lee and Tejada can only help him long term. Not sure which guy I'd drop to pick him up though. Tough call on that one.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd get rid of Drew as the first thing I'd do...but then again I hate Drew.

What's your pitching staff look like? Is this the one where you have a full staff?

In-com-plete
04-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd get rid of Drew as the first thing I'd do...but then again I hate Drew.

What's your pitching staff look like? Is this the one where you have a full staff?
Yeah! I only had the Tigers last week and it freakin' killed me. I almost lost because of them. Here's the point totals from the pitching staffs from last week:

19 - Detroit - LV 51's

44 - Nats - Trade Cordero

66 - Anaheim - Wannahomer

76 - Arizona - Mathmatically Eliminated
55 - Minnesota

50 - Boston - Dodgers...Who?

48 - Atlanta - Rutland Mini's

48 - Mets - Alphabetical Order
51 - Indians

80 - Dodgers - Flat Branch Falcons
26 - Colorado

54 - Cubs - Jr MVP'08

68 - Reds - Reds1peteach7

80 - Padres - A league of her own

64 - Blue Jays - Marge is a bigot
73 - Brewers
I picked up the Cards who have already gotten me 29 points this week (Mon-Wed). 10 more than Detroit did last week. :eek:

Right now, Drew has 27 points. 4 less than Bourn, 6 more than Hawpe, and 15 more than Kemp (who I'm keeping no matter what). I'm not opposed to keeping Drew, I just think I may be able to trade him. Especially if he can keep hitting. I'd like to trade that 15th round pick for a Mike Lowell/Matsui/Sheffield.

If I drop anyone, I could drop the Tigers staff. But I kinda want to see how the Cards pan out first. And see if the Tigers can rebound. Wins are a big deal for pitching staffs.

In-com-plete
04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Reynolds will be a stud. I'd drop Kouzmanoff for him, but keep Atkins. As long as he plays in Colorado, he can put up some numbers.

Pence has gotten off to a bad start, but batting around Berkman, Lee and Tejada can only help him long term. Not sure which guy I'd drop to pick him up though. Tough call on that one.

Kouz is tough. Being a Dodger fan, I hate him. But I also like him.

Pence just seems to good to be a free agent.

MOtorboat
04-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, coach, it may not last, but I'm going to enjoy it while it does...McLouth with a double and a run to start the game for the Pirates...WGN...

CoachChaz
04-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Yeah, he finished 2 for 5 with a run and Votto was 0 for 1. On the other hand, Encarnacion was 2 for 3 with a HR and 2 RBI.

MOtorboat
04-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah, he finished 2 for 5 with a run and Votto was 0 for 1. On the other hand, Encarnacion was 2 for 3 with a HR and 2 RBI.

LOL, yeah, I saw that. I was mad. :mad:

CoachChaz
04-11-2008, 07:49 AM
LOL, yeah, I saw that. I was mad. :mad:

The long term will be in Reynolds favor. He didn't play last night, so he didn't get a chance to do anything

MOtorboat
04-11-2008, 07:51 AM
The long term will be in Reynolds favor. He didn't play last night, so he didn't get a chance to do anything

Fantasy Podcast on ESPN was talking about Encarnacion possibly being sent down. Maybe the Reds floated that out there so that he might kick it in the butt.

CoachChaz
04-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Fantasy Podcast on ESPN was talking about Encarnacion possibly being sent down. Maybe the Reds floated that out there so that he might kick it in the butt.

...and play who there? Juan Castro? Encarnacion is going to be a solid player. He'll have his ups and downs. Too early in the season to send someone down for performance.

MOtorboat
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Anyone got any word on if Howie Kendrick is going to be back in the lineup this weekend?

CoachChaz
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Anyone got any word on if Howie Kendrick is going to be back in the lineup this weekend?

He's still listed as day to day.

MOtorboat
04-11-2008, 08:58 AM
He's still listed as day to day.

Yeah...I know...hasn't played for two games...I'm really strong on that team in 2B, Kinsler, Kendrick and Aaron Hill. Probably should look to trade one. I need some wins...I think I'll do that...

MOtorboat
04-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Having Billingsley on a head-to-head team is just destroying me right now. Luckily, Hudson, Young, F. Hernandez and and then Billingsley are set to pitch this weekend. May need to go get another probable for tonight...

In-com-plete
04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Should I start Kevin Kouzmanoff, Garrett Atkins, or Mark Reynolds this week?

I never even noticed before, but my 3 thirdbasemen are all in the NL West.

MOtorboat
04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Should I start Kevin Kouzmanoff, Garrett Atkins, or Mark Reynolds this week?

I never even noticed before, but my 3 thirdbasemen are all in the NL West.

I'd go with Atkins...do you have a Corner Infielder position, or a UTIL you could stick one of the other two at?

In-com-plete
04-21-2008, 01:01 PM
I'd go with Atkins...do you have a Corner Infielder position, or a UTIL you could stick one of the other two at?

I had Atkins in there already. But last week at the last minute I did the same thing an switched to Reynolds since he was hot. Atkins scored 13 more points than Reynolds but I lost by 41 so it didn't matter. I ran into a hot Chipper Jones and Manram.

We have 8 starters and a pitching staff with 6 bench players. I have Kouz and Reynolds on the bench along with 4 outfielders.

MOtorboat
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I had Atkins in there already. But last week at the last minute I did the same thing an switched to Reynolds since he was hot. Atkins scored 13 more points than Reynolds but I lost by 41 so it didn't matter. I ran into a hot Chipper Jones and Manram.

We have 8 starters and a pitching staff with 6 bench players. I have Kouz and Reynolds on the bench along with 4 outfielders.

I'd look to trade Reynolds right now, at his high point, for a 1B, 2B, SS or C...just to have something other than 3B and OF in case of emergency.

BOSSHOGG30
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Should I trade Atkins, Helton, or both right now?

In-com-plete
04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd look to trade Reynolds right now, at his high point, for a 1B, 2B, SS or C...just to have something other than 3B and OF in case of emergency.

Well, that's why I picked Reynolds up. My uncle has Lowell and when he went on the DL I knew he needed a thirdbaseman. I offered him Reynolds and JD Drew for Matsui but he rejected. Wanted Atkins and Drew but I wouldn't budge. Tried Kouz and Drew but he didnt' wanna do that.

Now, he's just traded Matsui for Hank Blalock. :confused:

Am I missing something here? Aren't Kouz and Reynolds about the same as Blalock plus you're getting Drew.

Barring an injury, my infield is set. Pujols, Utley, Furcal, and Russell Martin are locks and my OF is pretty weak. That's why I'm OF heavy.

MOtorboat
04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Well, that's why I picked Reynolds up. My uncle has Lowell and when he went on the DL I knew he needed a thirdbaseman. I offered him Reynolds and JD Drew for Matsui but he rejected. Wanted Atkins and Drew but I wouldn't budge. Tried Kouz and Drew but he didnt' wanna do that.

Now, he's just traded Matsui for Hank Blalock. :confused:

Am I missing something here? Aren't Kouz and Reynolds about the same as Blalock plus you're getting Drew.

Barring an injury, my infield is set. Pujols, Utley, Furcal, and Russell Martin are locks and my OF is pretty weak. That's why I'm OF heavy.

Same uncle that made that proposal to you earlier this season?

I'd find a different trading partner :D

Of course the infield is set, but I'd definitely like to have a little insurance, rather than the best 2B/SS on the free agent market, which depending on the depth of the league could be pretty ugly for you, if any of them happen to go down.

In-com-plete
04-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Same uncle that made that proposal to you earlier this season?

I'd find a different trading partner :D

Of course the infield is set, but I'd definitely like to have a little insurance, rather than the best 2B/SS on the free agent market, which depending on the depth of the league could be pretty ugly for you, if any of them happen to go down.

It's funny because my uncle's always been hesitant to trade with me. Well, since '05 when he was at my house right after our FF draft and said "I'd rather have Stokley than Jimmy ******' Smith". So we traded and of course I ripped him off. I said something about it on the other Bronco forum and a couple/few people called me a moron for doing it.

Smith ended up with 70 for 1023 and 6 TDs
Stokley ended up with 41 for 543 and 1 TD

Smith produced every year up until he retired. Stokley had that one good year ('04) and was always injured. No brainer IMO. Especially considering both would have been my 4th reciever. I didn't even start Smith except on byes. :beer:

Howie Kendrick and Eckstein are available. And 2 guys I drafted and dropped (Betincourt and Mark Ellis) are still out there. I can always plug Atkins or Swisher in at first, which I forgot about 'til just now. And I've been keeping my eye on a catcher just in case. Navarro should be off the DL soon and Doumit, Towels & Kendall are available.

In-com-plete
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
What 3 outfielders should I start this week:

Carlos Quentin - 7 games this week (1 @ Toronto, 3 @ Seattle, 3 vs Minnesota) - 118 points so far - 22 points last week
Rick Ankiel - 7 games this week (4 @ Col & 3 @ Milwakee) - 103 points so far - 28 points last week
Tori Hunter - 6 games this week (3 @ KC & 3 at TB) - 112 points so far - 23 points last week
Matt Kemp - 6 games this week (3 vs NY & 3 vs Houston) - 110 points so far - 47 points last week
Brad Hawpe - 7 games this week (4 vs STL & 3 @ SD) - 86 points so far - 21 points last week

I also have JD Drew and Nick Swisher, who I've ruled out for sure.

MOtorboat
05-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Off the top of my head Quentin, Kemp and Hunter.

MOtorboat
05-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Hunter is hitting .315/5 HR/20 RBI and a few SBs (.348 in the last week/1 HR/ 5 RBI/2 of his 3 SB)
Kemp is hitting .324/2 HR/18 R/22 RBI/ 7 SB (.407 this last week with 11 RBI and 6 SB)
Quentin is hitting .283/8 HR/22 RBI/22 R (.263 this last week with 3 HR/3 RBI/ 3 R)

CoachChaz
05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd go with the same 3.

In-com-plete
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Off the top of my head Quentin, Kemp and Hunter.

Damn this is tough!

Never really planned on starting Hawpe, but I want Kemp in that lineup. It's just too hard to drop Ankiel or Quentin out. Ankiel playing 4 games in Colorado this week is the problem. I just feel like he's gonna hit atleast 2 in that series. And Quentin plays every day. He's the one I was actually thinking of benching for Kemp.

Last week I almost did just that. Kemp for Quentin because I could tell he was starting to get hot. I still won and scored the most points for the week, but I coulda had 25 more points.

MOtorboat
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Damn this is tough!

Never really planned on starting Hawpe, but I want Kemp in that lineup. It's just too hard to drop Ankiel or Quentin out. Ankiel playing 4 games in Colorado this week is the problem. I just feel like he's gonna hit atleast 2 in that series. And Quentin plays every day. He's the one I was actually thinking of benching for Kemp.

Last week I almost did just that. Kemp for Quentin because I could tell he was starting to get hot. I still won and scored the most points for the week, but I coulda had 25 more points.

Ankiel is tempting...

Hawpe is definitely the one you bench right now.

Right now, because of SBs, I take Kemp over Ankiel, unless that's a category, you know you're not going to win. If you know you're going to lose in SBs, I go Ankiel, because you can pick up more home runs...

In-com-plete
05-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Ankiel is tempting...

Hawpe is definitely the one you bench right now.

Right now, because of SBs, I take Kemp over Ankiel, unless that's a category, you know you're not going to win. If you know you're going to lose in SBs, I go Ankiel, because you can pick up more home runs...

The league's not set up like that. You get 1 point for a walk, single, run, and RBI. 2 for a double and SB. 3 for a triple. 4 for a HR (although you actually get 6 here because of the RBI and run). And -1 for CS.

Right now I'm leading this league in points, runs, hits, average, walks, and total bases. I'm second in HR's and RBI's. Fourth in SB's. Completely dominating scoring the most points the last 2 weeks, and the second most the week before that.

I went ahead and penciled in Kemp, Quentin, & Hunter. I'll probably win regardless as the team I'm playing consists of:
Bengie Molina
Justin Morneau
Brandon Phillips
Edwin Encarnacion
Stephen Drew
Chone Figgins
Kosuke Fukudome
Magglio Ordonez

I've ran down my team alot, but if you forgot I have Russell Martin, Pujols, Utley, Furcal and Garrett Atkins. Like I said, I'll probably win.

MOtorboat
05-05-2008, 03:25 PM
The league's not set up like that. You get 1 point for a walk, single, run, and RBI. 2 for a double and SB. 3 for a triple. 4 for a HR (although you actually get 6 here because of the RBI and run). And -1 for CS.

Right now I'm leading this league in points, runs, hits, average, walks, and total bases. I'm second in HR's and RBI's. Fourth in SB's. Completely dominating scoring the most points the last 2 weeks, and the second most the week before that.

I went ahead and penciled in Kemp, Quentin, & Hunter. I'll probably win regardless as the team I'm playing consists of:
Bengie Molina
Justin Morneau
Brandon Phillips
Edwin Encarnacion
Stephen Drew
Chone Figgins
Kosuke Fukudome
Magglio Ordonez

I've ran down my team alot, but if you forgot I have Russell Martin, Pujols, Utley, Furcal and Garrett Atkins. Like I said, I'll probably win.

Then Ankiel may be your best bet to start in your outfield.

MOtorboat
05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Joey Votto :mad:

I had him on the bench and had Texeira at first, Mark Reynolds at 1B/3B and Crede at third...that is going to change :mad:

In-com-plete
05-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Mike Lowell or Garrett Atkins this week?

MOtorboat
05-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Lowell's been the better hitter in the last week, and Atkins is still struggling a little bit.

I'd say Lowell.

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Atkins faces Johnson, Owings, Webb and L. Hernandez in 4 of his next 6 games.

Lowell plays Baltimore and Milwaukee.

Easy decision.

MOtorboat
05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
So...do you think I can get Cole Hamels for Pat Burrell?

I'm going to at least try...

I'm loaded with OFs...Crawford, Soriano, McLouth, Bourn, Matthews Jr, Kemp, Hermida, Burrell...

Standard Roto

I've got decent pitching and I'm in second place, but I'm lacking in wins, so I thought I'd try to get Hamels for one of my OFs...should boost my wins a little. I'm not bad in my pitching either...I should win this league if I play my cards right...Young, Shields, Lincecum, Burnett, Greinke, Francis are my SP for now.

slim
05-26-2008, 03:44 PM
So...do you think I can get Cole Hamels for Pat Burrell?

I'm going to at least try...

I'm loaded with OFs...Crawford, Soriano, McLouth, Bourn, Matthews Jr, Kemp, Hermida, Burrell...

Standard Roto

I've got decent pitching and I'm in second place, but I'm lacking in wins, so I thought I'd try to get Hamels for one of my OFs...should boost my wins a little. I'm not bad in my pitching either...I should win this league if I play my cards right...Young, Shields, Lincecum, Burnett, Greinke, Francis are my SP for now.

Better make the offer now, I don't think Burrell's value will get much higher.

I need starting pitching as well. I picked up Liriano and stashed him on my bench. I hope that will pay off in the second half. I also picked up Cliff Lee and Shawn Marcum off waivers several weeks ago. They have both been better than anyone else I have (freaking Verlander and Harang :tsk:).

MOtorboat
05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Better make the offer now, I don't think Burrell's value will get much higher.

I need starting pitching as well. I picked up Liriano and stashed him on my bench. I hope that will pay off in the second half. I also picked up Cliff Lee and Shawn Marcum off waivers several weeks ago. They have both been better than anyone else I have (freaking Verlander and Harang :tsk:).

Verlander has definitely been bad. Harang has been OK, plus he's second in the league in Ks. Marcum and Lee are very good pitchers. Who the hell dropped them?

slim
05-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Verlander has definitely been bad. Harang has been OK, plus he's second in the league in Ks. Marcum and Lee are very good pitchers. Who the hell dropped them?

IDK, it's a yahoo public league. Half of my pitchers have been picked up off waivers. I also picked up Carlos Gomez (Twins). He has been pretty damn good as well (I needed the SB). I guess I am in a league with a bunch of idiots :noidea:

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 08:40 AM
If you need some home run help, or if you need some triples...good speed, great bat. This kid could be a stud.

Reds to call up baseball's No. 1 prospect

It's not often that a last-place team that didn't even suit up the previous evening is responsible for the day's biggest headline -- unless it's a managerial firing -- but these things can certainly happen when the team in question boasts baseball's No. 1 prospect. Reds outfielder Jay Bruce will be promoted to make his major league debut today against the Pirates. Bruce is a probable future all-star with elite superstar potential. He's also polished enough to make an immediate impact. While it is too much to ask for him to duplicate Ryan Braun's improbable 2007 rookie season, if anyone has a chance to make that sort of impact this year, it's Bruce. That's not really a secret; Bruce was owned in nearly a third of ESPN leagues before the announcement was made, and that has doubled to better than 60 percent as of this morning. Move fast if there is still hope to get him in yours.

The 21-year old was a first-round draft pick in 2005, but not even the Reds expected him to move as quickly as he has. After struggling in rookie ball, Bruce turned in a solid 2006 campaign in Class A, then followed with a dominating three-level performance in 2007 that culminated in his hitting .305/.358/.567 as a 20-year old in Triple-A. This year, the sweet-swinging lefty leads the International League with a .364 average, and has hit .456 since May 3.

With Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn manning the outfield corners, Bruce will take over in center field, ending the unproductive Corey Patterson-Ryan Freel platoon. Patterson will likely be dispatched in the next day or two, while Freel will stick around as the team's top reserve outfielder. Though Freel will pick up some starts against tougher left-handers, Bruce is not expected to be confined to a strict platoon. He was hitting .389 versus lefties in Triple-A this year despite striking out 17 times while drawing only one walk.

The one hole in Bruce's game is his poor contact rate. He's struck out nearly once per game in his minor league career, so don't expect .300 averages to be the standard right away in the majors. However, the same elite bat speed that facilitates his ample power means that he'll eventually be a high-average hitter when his strike-zone judgment improves.

Bruce is talented enough to put together a long string of .300-30-100 seasons. For the remainder of 2008, expect him to play well enough to hold down the center field job and receive at least 350 at-bats. He'll strike out plenty, but be productive enough when he does make contact to hit .270 or .275 with around 15 home runs, a few steals and plenty of run production. He'll be a rookie-of-the-year threat despite spending nearly the first third of the season in the minors and deserves to be owned in fantasy leagues of any size.

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Arizona third baseman Chad Tracy was activated from the disabled list and made his 2008 debut with a start at first base Monday. He went 1-for-4 as the Diamondbacks lost to the Braves. Tracy will begin taking time from Mark Reynolds immediately and should settle in as the starter if his surgically repaired knee holds up. The two will likely be platooned in the short term, with the left-handed Tracy getting more at-bats. Reynolds didn't help his cause with two early defensive gaffes in Monday's game. …

If you've got Reynolds, as I do in one league, it's time to stop holding on to him for this year, I think.

With Mark Kotsay's back ailing, rookie Gregor Blanco got the start in center field for the Braves. He went 3-for-3 with a walk, bringing his average to .299. The left-handed Blanco has little power, but he's stolen four bases in 97 at-bats and could earn more playing time at the expense of Kotsay or work his way into a platoon with Matt Diaz, who has struggled mightily with right-handed pitching this year. …

An interesting note if you're a steals guy...i.e. it's always been one of my philosophies in a head-to-head lead that if you can get some average and SB guys, you can win those two categories, and not focus on home runs like a lot of people do. Doesn't work as well in Roto.

DenverBronkHoes
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
first place in my league

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
first place in my league

Congrats...what's your lineup?

Oh...it's only May :D

In-com-plete
05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Well, my teams struggling a bit.

Furcal going down really hurt. He was the top SS point wise before his back injury. Then I signed Barmes who was killing it but he just went down. So I've got Ramon Vazquez plugged in there now.

And no matter who I start in the OF they suck (except for Carlos Quentin). Kemp tears it up while he's on my bench but sucks when I start him. Tori Hunter blows. Ankiel has that shoulder problem. Brad Hawpe sucks but he's hurt. Swisher had a good week so I started him last week and he sucked. And I have Vernon Wells just in case he can come back later in the year.

DenverBronkHoes
05-28-2008, 12:01 PM
McCann
Conor Jackson
Brian Roberts
Miguel Cabrera
Guzman
Carlos Lee
Soriano
David Murphy
Mclouth
Guerro
Ludwick

i traded berkman first week.... i hate cant cuts...

Pitchers

kazmir
vazquez
Dempster
Cliff Lee
Hendrickson
Joe Nathan
Jon Rauch
Carlos Marmol

Pedro is on the DL

i gave up Giovanni Soto for McCann and Pedro like 4 weeks ago... I think i kinda regret it... Soto is tearing it up... kinda

MOtorboat
06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Injury bug is killing one of my teams...

Chone Figgins
Troy Percival
Chris Young

All DL eligible...only one I'd actually drop is Percival, but IDK...

Any thoughts?

BOSSHOGG30
06-03-2008, 11:52 AM
The next Jay Bruce?

The Providence Journal reports that the Red Sox will call up Chris Carter from Triple-A Pawtucket.

MOtorboat
06-03-2008, 11:57 AM
The next Jay Bruce?

The Providence Journal reports that the Red Sox will call up Chris Carter from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Probably not :D.

BOSSHOGG30
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Probably not :D.

Guy can't play much defense, but he can hit! Should be a good DH. :D

MOtorboat
06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Guy can't play much defense, but he can hit! Should be a good DH. :D

Heard Stark talking about him earlier today...or was it the Fantasy Podcast last night? I dunno...I think it was the Fantasy Podcast.

Big Papi might be done for a while.

BOSSHOGG30
06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Heard Stark talking about him earlier today...or was it the Fantasy Podcast last night? I dunno...I think it was the Fantasy Podcast.

Big Papi might be done for a while.

1 month is what they are estimating right now.

MOtorboat
06-22-2008, 07:09 PM
There is a guy in my league with Artie who is utterly obsessed with getting Brad Lidge from me.

Right now (I believe the sixth trade offer, maybe the seventh) he is offering me Brandon Lyon and Carlos Marmol. But he has yet to even try to help me out. He just keeps offering random people, rather than looking at my roster and seeing what needs help.

:tsk:

MOtorboat
06-22-2008, 07:25 PM
OK, what does everyone think...

I'm am thinking about this offer:
I trade:
Brad Lidge
Alex Rios
Ryan Theriot

He trades:
Chase Utley
Brian Fuentes

Thoughts?

I've got a pretty good number of OF - (Starting) Ordonez, Hermida, Dye, Kemp (util), (Sitting) Rios, Figgins and (DL) Soriano...

His OF consists of (Starting) Rowand, Bradley, Gomez, (Bench) Victorino

Should I offer Dye and sell high at this point?

MOtorboat
06-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Chone Figgins as an undroppable.

Discuss:

MOtorboat
06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Spot start tonight:
Lohse
Masterson
Garland
Mussina

Any thoughts?

MOtorboat
06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Spot start tonight:
Lohse
Masterson
Garland
Mussina

Any thoughts?

MOtorboat
07-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I chose Masterson. :tsk:

MOtorboat
07-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Need some help:
A guy has proposed this trade to me:
I get:
Jay Bruce
Todd Jones
George Sherrill

He gets:
Joe Nathan
Dustin Pedroia

Thoughts. I need saves and ERA the most. Cristian Guzman is on the waiver wire and I could fill him in at the 2B/SS spot that Pedroia would be vacating.

I would be losing ERA, but I would definitely be picking up more saves.

Thoughts?

BroncoAV06
07-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Well, one thing you have to be concerned with is Sherril. I have him and Jones on one of my teams. If the O's stay in the middle of the pack which it looks that way they could trade high on Sherril, so you are going to have to keep and eye on Johnson who is the set up man at the moment, just in case they moves him.

Tigers manager will throw Jones out there as long as he can. He is not a shut down closer, he tosses them up there soft and hopes that his defense will have his back. Both closer come with that high chance of blowing saves.

12 combined saves in the last month, with a 6.30 ERA and 2.10 WHIP between the two.

As for Nathan he has 9 saves in the last month, no ER, and .64 WHIP, and is money in the second half.

I would see what other options are out there. If you need ERA and saves those 2 closer will kill them, for a couple more saves.

I would just try shopping Dustin for a closer, he should be able to bring a pretty good return.

MOtorboat
07-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, one thing you have to be concerned with is Sherril. I have him and Jones on one of my teams. If the O's stay in the middle of the pack which it looks that way they could trade high on Sherril, so you are going to have to keep and eye on Johnson who is the set up man at the moment, just in case they moves him.

Tigers manager will throw Jones out there as long as he can. He is not a shut down closer, he tosses them up there soft and hopes that his defense will have his back. Both closer come with that high chance of blowing saves.

12 combined saves in the last month, with a 6.30 ERA and 2.10 WHIP between the two.

As for Nathan he has 9 saves in the last month, no ER, and .64 WHIP, and is money in the second half.

I would see what other options are out there. If you need ERA and saves those 2 closer will kill them, for a couple more saves.

I would just try shopping Dustin for a closer, he should be able to bring a pretty good return.

Well, that's what I was thinking. The trade was proposed to me. I think I might counter offer with Jones (because he should get a lot of opportunities) and another lower ERA guy.