Lonestar
01-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Woody's Mailbag: Discussing the draft
Stewart from Iowa asks Woody what the Broncos need in the upcoming draft
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
POSTED: 01/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
UPDATED: 01/21/2010 02:52:06 AM MST

Denver Post sports columnist Woody Paige posts Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

Drop a question into Woody's Mailbag, or visit The Denver Post's Sports Page.

Woody: What needs do you think the Broncos should address in the draft?

-- Stewart Kennedy, Des Moines, Iowa

Stewart: It's quicker to say what the Broncos shouldn't address — secondary.

But, now, let's talk about what's primary, in order: Wide receiver, nose tackle, defensive end, center, wide receiver, offensive guard, fullback, defensive end, linebacker, tight end, running back, quarterback, and linebacker. That's about it.

But they won't have 13 draft picks. But, as a solutions-oriented person, I can tell you what they should do.

We all know Brandon Marshall is gone, and the New York Giants have been sniffing around Brandon every since Plaxico Burress was busted.

How about Josh McDaniels trade Marshall and the No. 10 pick in the first round to the Giants for the No. 14 in the first round, No. 44 (second) and No. 76 in third. The Broncos would have 14, 45, 46, 76 and 80; five picks in the first three rounds, and could solve some of their problems.

Given what Josh did in his first year of drafting, I expect a lot of movement in the draft this year — especially after he told us in his recent conference that they got a late start last year on the draft and scouting, and already have a big board set up this year.

The general manager and several of the Broncos scouts are at the Senior Bowl, like everyone else, and I expect that board will be altered significantly next week.

Last year's draft wasn't so hot. We all know what Knowshon Moreno did, good and bad, but Alphonso Smith and Robert Ayers didn't provide significant health.

I thought the two safeties chosen in the middle rounds were fine. Overall, in reflection, I would

Running back Knowshon Moreno was the Broncos' No. 1 draft pick in 2009. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
give that class a C.
The Broncos need an A, A- this year.

So here's where I would go:

I would select Terrence Cody, out of Alabama, or Dan Williams, from Tennessee. Both are nose tackles, and I use the No. 14 from the Giants for one. Cody is a big-time player and a big fellow at 6-5, 365. Williams ain't bad, either, at 6-3, 327.

Ronnie Fields moves to backup. Since the Broncos didn't really address the defensive line last year, they have to this year, and both Cody and Williams (that name sounds familiar to Broncos fans) can play in the 3-4.

I like Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant, who, you recall, was suspended by the NCAA. He would be a first-round pick for the Broncos, who'll need an outstanding receiver to replace Marshall. I also love Jerry Williams, from Tulane, as a wideout and a return man. Maybe you can pick him up in the second or third round.

Stephen Williams from Toledo is my go-to guy somewhere in the late rounds. Try this. He's not a speed-burner, but he's 6-5. He could be a combo receiver-tight end to replace Tony Scheffler, and that size — whump.

The Broncos will need a center very soon, maybe now, and have to go big, given what Josh is doing to the blocking schemes. I like Maurkice Pouncey out of Florida, 6-5, 318 and think they should grab him early and often.

Or perhaps they should draft J.D. Walton (6-3, 305) out of Baylor. He will be a player. Brian Price, a defensive end out of UCLA, would fit.

Hometown kid: Tackle (switch

WOODY PAIGE
Pose your question for Woody's Mailbag.
Browse Woody Paige's archive of recent sports columns.
to end) Lamarr Houston from Texas, grew up in Denver.
Another WR, Riley Cooper out of Florida, goes 6-3, 215. He can block and catch some, and could be gotten in the fifth or six rounds.

And I'll give Bryan Bulaga a shot to make the team. He's an offensive tackle, as you know, from Iowa.

The Broncos won't be trading up to get a quarterback, and they certainly won't go for another running back in the first round.

They can grab one of those "other" quarterbacks in the mid rounds, but you know that Josh thinks he can find a quarterback without drafting high. Think Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and even the guy they got here. None of the three went in the first round.

Those are just some early, random thoughts. I expect a great deal of disagreement, and that's what draft-discussing is all about. I'm sure we'll be talking a bit more about the draft soon.

Hi, Woody. I don't always agree with everything you write, but I agree with you 100 percent that not having the old Mile High atmosphere is depleting the Broncos' home-field advantage. What can the true fans, who will actually make some noise, do to take back Mile High? How can we petition Pat Bowlen? Thanks, Woody.

-- Adrian, San Diego

Adrian: I don't always agree with me.

This is a very good question coming from San Diego. The Chargers always had terrible crowds, but I thought that was the best I've seen and heard in the game against the Jets. It didn't help enough, though.

Since I have been writing about the lack of a home-field advantage (the Broncos went 4-4 this season) lately, I've gotten a ton of responses.

I've had a problem after the move with the lack of the South Stands as it was, and I heard from a lot of the old South Standers who agreed that they had been moved out because of the prices and because the Broncos didn't really want them close to the field any more.

Do I have answers for you? Bowlen asked me two or three years ago what I thought they should do and he didn't pay much attention to me (except for the drum team on the sideline during the game).

I still would move the South Standers back down, and even put some rows in front of the stadium wall for some real crazies. Create a Dawg Pound or Black Hole situation (although those teams in Cleveland and Oakland stink).

I'd have the Broncos bring in a new Barrel Man (in tribute to the original), and I'd at least give the cheerleaders some training in leading cheers.

I'd get the players more involved with the fans. It's not like the old days when all the players felt like they were members of the community. They just seem like hired mercenaries now.

When was the last time you saw a player waving to the fans to get involved?

When was the last time Josh McDaniels acknowledged the crowd or even talked about needing them, in the week before a game. (The answer is never. Josh has to become one of the people, and show them that he cares for their support).

Somehow I'd make it that season-ticket holders had to sell their tickets to people in Denver, not Steelers fans.

I'd do something about the mid-level seats, even if it meant closing the clubs behind them except at the half and before and after the games.

I'd hand out stripped socks to everybody who comes in the stadium. I suggested that to the Broncos after the throw-back uniforms, and they thought about it, but didn't decide to do it.

I think the waving of the old vertically-stripped socks could be as effective as the Terrible Towels and better than common Pom-Pons.

But I can't do all the thinkin' around here. What are the suggestions from all of you?

Tell you what. I'll pass them along to Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen, and for the best suggestion that is accepted, I'll get you two tickets to a game next year. That should motivate even you. Yo, Adrian.

How badly does Roger Goodell want a Vikings-Colts matchup in the Super Bowl? Peyton Manning vs. Brett Favre — are you kidding me? Who wins that game?

-- Brandon O., Boulder

Brandon of Boulder: Badly.

I'm friends with Goodell and most of the Big Cheeses in the NFL office, and I can tell you they don't officially root, and they don't fix games, or tell the officials to give one team or another a break or an edge.

But, privately, at the end of the work day, when they're having a drink, and before Goodell goes home to Bronxville, N.Y., and his aides jump on the trains, they watch a couple of shows on ESPN and talk about who they would like to see in the Super Bowl.

Honestly, they would be happy with any of the teams left. The Jets from New York, in the NFL's backyard, would bring a big TV rating, and everybody from New York would be going to Miami (which is always the way it's been, hasn't it?).

They'd like New Orleans because the Saints have never been there, because of what's happened to the city, and because the Saints are an exciting team.

And then there's Manning and Favre. The NFL can't go wrong, but the Minnesota-Indianapolis matchup would be a great story line because of the QBs.

There is nothing wrong with Jets-New Orleans, though, and remember that Favre played for the Jets last year, so Minnesota-New York wouldn't be bad, either.

I think the NFL prefers these teams over Arizona and Denver.

Woody Paige first joined The Denver Post in 1981 as a sports columnist. Drop a question into Woody's Mailbag, or visit The Denver Post's Sports Page.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14236219#ixzz0dHsgcEJN