PDA

View Full Version : Legwold Denver Post Column

Traveler
01-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Posted January 20, 2010, 10:21 am

Some draft early entries should interest

Fifty-three players have been granted special exemption by the NFL to enter the 2010 draft as underclassman — that ties the most available in any draft.

But a few of the names are in some need positions for the Broncos as they continue to sort through what happened this past season. Everybody loves the potential of Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain and the Broncos will as well.

McClain is not only one of the more athletic linebackers now on the board, but he’s also one of the biggest — in the 250-pound range — making him a better fit for the Broncos 3-4 look than, say, Penn State’s Navorro Bowman, who also entered the draft as an underclassman.

Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen and Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford are the biggest-name quarterbacks among the underclassmen, but neither has the big frame Josh McDaniels has shown himself to be partial to when searching for a passer. Bradford is tremendously accurate, however, which is a much in adapting to the pro game, so he could throw his way into consideration despite coming off shoulder surgery.

Certainly Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy will be one of the top prospects on any team’s board. And with 15.5 tackles for loss this past season to go with 6.5 sacks from the interior, he could project as an end in the 3-4.

An intriguing prospect to watch among the early entries is East Carolina’s mammoth defensive tackle Joseph Linval. Linval weighed over 370 pounds — at about 6-feet-6-inches tall — early in his college career, but played closer to 330 pounds this past season.

Linval had 60 tackles this season with 13 of those for loss. And he tied for the team lead in quarterback hurries despite rushing from the interior and through double teams much of the time.

If Linval, given the amount of teams on the lookout for strong interior players on defense, shows himself to be ready to work in the coming workout season he’ll move up the board.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/01/20/some-draft-early-entries-should-interest-broncos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

Anyone have more information about Linval? Not being a draft geek, this is the first I've heard of him.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Does anyone feel the Broncos would have a shot at Ndamukong Suh?

Lonestar
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM

not a chance he will be gone top 5 at worst if not top 2 or 3

broncofaninfla
01-21-2010, 02:01 PM
not a chance he will be gone top 5 at worst if not top 2 or 3

I agree, we would have to trade up to get him. That kid is a flat out beast!

Lonestar
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree, we would have to trade up to get him. That kid is a flat out beast!

I'm really not sure if he is A NT either, I think he will ultimately wind up a DE. and he will be a beast there. he is to quick for almost any OT in the league, but not beefy enough to beat double teaming he would get inside at NT.

Traveler
01-21-2010, 02:23 PM

No possible way. Denver would have to mortgage too many draft choices to move that high.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm sure the Lions are going to get Suh at #2. And personally I think he'd do better at DT than DE in the bigs.

Lonestar
01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm sure the Lions are going to get Suh at #2. And personally I think he'd do better at DT than DE in the bigs.

in a 4-3 perhaps but as the anchor in the 3-4 well he would IMO would not fare as well.

Ziggy
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Suh will play DE in a 3-4, and DT in a 4-3. He'll be a star regardless. He'll also be gone by the second pick of the draft.

rationalfan
01-21-2010, 06:27 PM
again, no offense to anyone personally, but these armchair gm antics grow tired easily.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
again, no offense to anyone personally, but these armchair gm antics grow tired easily.

To who? You? There seem to be a lot of folks enjoying a discussion about draft prospects. You post stuff about " armchair gm antics grow tired easily". What armchair GM are you referring to? Who the hell are you, anyway? I haven't even posted on this thread, but your post just seems negative and condescending for no reason whatsoever.

:2thumbsdown:

Dean
01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Had we kept the two first round picks that we had we could be like a kid in a candy store. This year will have an ususually large amount of talent in the draft. Wouldn't it have been great to have had that flexability to obtain top talent?

Hoser
01-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Had we kept the two first round picks that we had we could be like a kid in a candy store. This year will have an ususually large amount of talent in the draft. Wouldn't it have been great to have had that flexability to obtain top talent?

We would have just had to draft a rookie corner anyways. We're the oldest in the NFL at that position, it needed to be addressed.

And to the OP, I've never heard of this guy either.... could be interesting.

Broncolingus
01-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Some of the boards have Suh going at #1 over the past week...he is a stud prospect.

Certainly, stranger things have happened (remember Mario Williams), I really think he'll go 2-4 somewhere...

JMO...

Interior of both lines (not QB) remains the priority methinks as most of us have said...

BTW, there is nothing wrong with this thread...no trash/crap talk, staying 'on target,' and good football discussion and nothing to 'get tired' of...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
We would have just had to draft a rookie corner anyways. We're the oldest in the NFL at that position, it needed to be addressed.

And to the OP, I've never heard of this guy either.... could be interesting.

Ya know, it's for that very reason that I could see McDaniels grabbing CB Joe Haden at the 10/11 spot. Especially if he hasn't seen what he hoped for out of Smith.

It's pretty much exactly where Haden is predicted to be drafted. It's not what I'd do, but how many people had him taking a TE in the second round last year? Just saying. :whoknows:

JDL
01-22-2010, 09:34 PM

He's the consensus #1 player in the draft, so no probably not and highly rated DTs almost never pan out anyway (the history of top 5 DTs is ugly until you get back to Cortez Kennedy... maybe he changes that, but for 2 decades it has typically been DTs outside the top 5 who produce at the NFL level.)

Dean
01-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Suh is the real deal.

My Superintendent is a friend of John Teerlinck the D-line coach for the Colts. He and the Vice Principal when to their practices last month. Teerlinck couldn't say enough good things about Suh.

Nebraska's trainer is a formed player for me. He has related the poundage that Suh is lifting in the weight room. He has unbelievable strength.

All this means that there is no way in hell we could ever get him but he is a stud.

Lonestar
01-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Suh is the real deal.

My Superintendent is a friend of John Teerlinck the D-line coach for the Colts. He and the Vice Principal when to their practices last month. Teerlinck couldn't say enough good things about Suh.

Nebraska's trainer is a formed player for me. He has related the poundage that Suh is lifting in the weight room. He has unbelievable strength.

All this means that there is no way in hell we could ever get him but he is a stud.

from the limited number of games I saw him play in there was NO doubt in my mind he will produce in the NFL.

My only concern is he big enough to play NT, while strength is an absolute at the spot so is poundage. his quickness, speed and strength would make him an outstanding DE in the NFL. He might be able to play DT with another biggie next to him, but just not sure about NT.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
from the limited number of games I saw him play in there was NO doubt in my mind he will produce in the NFL.

My only concern is he big enough to play NT, while strength is an absolute at the spot so is poundage. his quickness, speed and strength would make him an outstanding DE in the NFL. He might be able to play DT with another biggie next to him, but just not sure about NT.

I agree. Suh is the prototypical 1 gap, 3 technique, 4-3 under tackle. He's another Warren Sapp type. He's so talented that he might even be able to adjust to being a 5 technique DE in the 3-4 and end up like Richard Seymour.

I don't see him ever playing the nose in a 3-4, though.