View Full Version : Broncos setting trading sights lower

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Broncos setting trading sights lower
Offseason deals avoid big names
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/02/2008 05:51:41 AM MST

Broncos right guard Montrae Holland has been a great value. ( John Leyba, The Denver Post )

Not long ago, the Broncos owned the offseason. Dominated it.

They would aggressively attack the free-agent and trading period in a furious attempt to upgrade their roster, as if they were convinced Super Bowls were won in March.

It was an exciting time, the Broncos' offseason. There was no need to buy the new edition of "Football Prospectus" to learn about the likes of Javon Walker, Dre Bly, Travis Henry, Daniel Graham, Brandon Stokley, Sam Adams and Simeon Rice.

There was nothing like big names with big production to build hopes of playing in the big game.

But then something odd happened to the Broncos in the regular season. The more star players coach Mike Shanahan acquired through trade or free agency since hosting the 2005 AFC championship game, and the more money owner Pat Bowlen spent, the further the Super Bowl fell away.

The Broncos finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2006. They tumbled to 7-9 last season, or nine wins fewer than the New England Patriots.

This offseason has brought a philosophical shift to Dove Valley. Instead of big names, the Broncos are pursuing some players with really long names, like middle linebacker Niko Koutouvides. Other hardly household names the Broncos are visiting during the early days of free agency are receiver Keary Colbert, and linebacker Tracy White.

"I don't think it's an extreme shift in philosophy," said Broncos owner Pat Bowlen. "We have gone after quite a number of free agents in the past few years and spent a lot of money. We could have gone in different directions that probably would have been more beneficial to the club. But I don't think we're sitting on the sidelines by any stretch of the imagination. We've got some guys we're targeting."

But even the more-recognizable names like Marlon McCree, Boss Bailey and Sammy Knight are not considered elite players. The Broncos, it seems, are setting their sights on finding the next Montrae Holland. The least known from the team's
star-studded free- agent class last year, Holland may have also provided the greatest value. Signed initially for one year and $1 million, Holland wound up starting all 16 games at right guard.

"We are looking at what we need and we're a lot more vigilant about who fits in this organization," Bowlen said.

That may be, but if Broncos fans didn't know better, they'd wonder if there's a cash problem at Dove Valley. Is there?

"I would say the Broncos and 31 other teams are feeling much the same way," said Bowlen, who as chairman of the NFL labor committee does not want the league to continue giving 60 percent of revenues to players past the 2009 season. "I know we're going into very serious labor negotiation. Unfortunately, I've been given the responsibility on that labor committee, which I'm not looking forward to because I think it's going to be a very contentious negotiation. If you're seeing it with the Broncos, you're going to see the same thing with the rest of the league.

"Now there are teams going after players and paying big bucks because they think they're going to find their missing link. And they may well be. But what I'm feeling is the philosophy is changing among the teams in the league. The feeling is free agency is too expensive. If you can draft quality players and keep them in your organization, that's a much better way to go."

The Broncos' newfound prudence appears well- timed, as this year's market has been scarce in star-power and consequently a treasure chest for role players.

Head-scratching contracts have been received by the unheralded likes of Tommy Kelly (seven years, $50.5 million), Madieu Williams (six years, $33 million), Gibril Wilson (six years, $39 million), and Justin Smith (six years, $45 million).

It's difficult to look at the deals for those players and have confidence teams are going to get the expected performance value in return. Still, would the Patriots have taken an 18-0 record into the Super Bowl had they not acquired Randy Moss, Adalius Thomas, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth in the previous offseason? And aren't the Pats worse off today now that they've lost Asante Samuel, Stallworth and possibly Moss?

Closer to home, there is concern the Broncos have too many weaknesses to be exercising fiscal responsibility.

"Are we going to be favorites to win the whole thing?" Broncos safety John Lynch said after signing his reduced contract Friday night. "Absolutely not. A lot of opinions out there say we have a ways to go. But that's the fun thing about this business. You look at the Giants last year and people were talking about firing Tom Coughlin. They're losing Tiki Barber, and it looks like everything is in disarray. And they wind up winning the championship. So anything's possible."

Italianmobstr7
03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Nice read. Hopefully the Broncos do what it takes to get it done, even if it means not signing star-studded free agents.

shank
03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
article title is misleading. i was really excited to read something about the (hopefully impending) dewayne robertson trade.

but then i proceeded to read an article about free agency:confused:

i'm not mad that we're not pursuing BIG names, i'm a little irked that we are only pursuing very small names.

there are better guys out there than sammy knight and niko lotsasyllables that wouldn't break the bank at all, but it seems like we are only exploring guys who will play for peanuts and expired milk. i'm not advocating signing superstars, but try signing a lb and safety who can actually contribute (hopefully compete to start).

(-colbert, that's a good signing. value could potentially swing far in our favor).

threefolddead
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
But but but... Signing washed up players for big money was so much fun... We could all talk about how exciting they are going to be to watch even though the voice in the back of the collective Bronco head was saying... wtf is going on?

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds to me like they are not going to make any long term big dollar contracts. The Pat is setting an example as leader in the NFL owners group.
Is that a bad thing long term probably not IF we can draft some quality players. That folks IMO is a BIG IF..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I still think that being efficient w/ the spending this year given the weak group of FAs out there will help us in the long run. Next season we are likely gonna need to reup w/ our newbies as well as hunt for a CB if Paymah doesn't continue to develop. No way Bly gets paid 7.5mil in 2009. I like that we aren't overdoing it like in previous years that have left us cap strapped later on.

dogfish
03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I still think that being efficient w/ the spending this year given the weak group of FAs out there will help us in the long run. Next season we are likely gonna need to reup w/ our newbies as well as hunt for a CB if Paymah doesn't continue to develop. No way Bly gets paid 7.5mil in 2009. I like that we aren't overdoing it like in previous years that have left us cap strapped later on.

there's no question IMO that we need to be preparing to sign cutler, marshall, chef, dumervil, kuper and dj williams to big contract extensions in the next 2 years or so-- that's pretty much the entire core of our team right there, going forward. . . and while no one really wants to think about it, a big decision on champ bailey's long term future here is also looming on the horizon. . . taking care of our own guys is more important than paying high dollar for mid-level free agents, but i hope people realize that choosing the path of fiscal responsibility now may mean that it's going to be another year or two before we can seriously talk about contending, and even that is only going to happen if we do well drafting and devloping young talent over the next few years. . . i think it's the right way to go, but it's tough to be patient. . .

broncosfanscott
03-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Whether we sign any "big" name players or not, I will be happy as long as they are quality athletes than can get the job done.

Superchop 7
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
A bit if a contradiction here.

We need to sign our young talent.

MHCBill
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
there's no question IMO that we need to be preparing to sign cutler, marshall, chef, dumervil, kuper and dj williams to big contract extensions in the next 2 years or so-- that's pretty much the entire core of our team right there, going forward. . . and while no one really wants to think about it, a big decision on champ bailey's long term future here is also looming on the horizon. . . taking care of our own guys is more important than paying high dollar for mid-level free agents, but i hope people realize that choosing the path of fiscal responsibility now may mean that it's going to be another year or two before we can seriously talk about contending, and even that is only going to happen if we do well drafting and devloping young talent over the next few years. . . i think it's the right way to go, but it's tough to be patient. . .Niner's going to need to sell his Sunday Ticket then... he told me this morning that there's no use having it if we aren't trying to compete.

We'll compete... in spirit, but the reality is we are planning for long-term.