PDA

View Full Version : Eric Studesville agrees in principle to be Broncos RB coach

ikillz0mbies
01-20-2010, 12:46 PM
http://community.kdvr.com/_Breaking-Bills-Eric-Studesville-Agrees-in-Principle-to-be-Broncos-RB-Coach/blog/1748943/96399.html

Bills running back coack, Eric Studesville, has agreed in principle with the Denver Broncos to become their new running backs coach.

Sources told Fox31’s Josina Anderson that Studesville is on is way to Colorado today.

Studesville hopes to sign a contract “withing the next day or so,” according to sources.

NightTrainLayne
01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I like this hire.

Nomad
01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the BRONCOS!:salute:

claymore
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I like this hire.

Whats your thinking NTL?

D1g1tal j1m
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I want his last name.

Studesville!

NightTrainLayne
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Whats your thinking NTL?

I want his last name.

Studesville!

The name says it all Clay.

On a serious note, about the only good thing going for the Bills the last several years has been their stable of running backs (on-field performance), and their development. Here's hoping he can work some magic on Moreno.

Ravage!!!
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I like the hire. The guy has made some pretty decent runners while in Buffalo. I believe its the right move, and good choice.

dogfish
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
don't know anything about him. . . i hope he does well here-- he's got some big shoes to fill!

titan
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Sounds good to me - he's developed some good backs in the past.

Here's more from the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14231138?source=rss

Buffalo Bills running backs coach Eric Studesville is a signature away from being the Broncos new running backs coach.
Studesville was formally offered the job this week and the two sides have agreed to the contract terms, Studesville has told friends in the league.
If the deal is finalized, he would replace Bobby Turner, who had been the Broncos running backs coach for 15 seasons. Turner left to join Mike Shanahan's staff in Washington.

NightTrainLayne
01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
don't know anything about him. . . i hope he does well here-- he's got some big shoes to fill!

Doesn't everybody involved with the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/eric-studesville/618ed835-8b67-4001-891a-f06e12222849

COACHING EXPERIENCE: Buffalo’s running game continues to produce results under the direction of Eric Studesville. In 2008, Marshawn Lynch produced the fourth 1,000-yard rushing season since Studesville’s arrival in 2004 and became the first Bills running back to play in the Pro Bowl since 2003. Lynch became the second-fastest Bills running back to reach 2,000 yards by achieving the feat in 27 games. Studesville coached the top two fastest Bills running backs to reach 2,000 yards as Willis McGahee accomplished the feat in 26 games. Other accomplishments for the running game in 2008 include: Lynch (1,036 yards) and RB Fred Jackson (571) becoming the first Bills running back duo to eclipse 1,000 and 500 yards since Thurman Thomas and Darick Holmes in 1996; Lynch (47) and Jackson (37) combined for 84 receptions – the most by a running back duo in the NFL this season; In games 9-16, Buffalo produced 1,092 rushing yards to rank fifth in the AFC. …Studesville was promoted to running game coordinator/running backs coach in January 2008 … Played an instrumental role in the development of rookie running back Marshawn Lynch in the 2007 season; Lynch produced 1,115 rushing yards – the second-most for a rookie in team history; he led the NFL in rushing attempts per game at 21.5 and ranked fifth in the AFC with 85.8 yards per game; he led the team with seven touchdowns; Lynch produced the fourth 1,000-yard season in the past five seasons under coach Studesville … In 2006, the Bills rushing attack saw significant improvements toward the end year; Bills posted 100-yard rushing games in three of the last four games, including a season-high 174-yard effort in a win over the Jets in week 14; Buffalo posted seven 100-yard rushing days and averaged 97.0 yards per game in 2006. … In 2005, Studesville helped produce a 1,000-yard rusher for the third consecutive season as RB Willis McGahee posted a career-high 1,247 rushing yards; He became the fifth back in Bills history to reach 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons; McGahee became the quickest back in team history to reach 2,000 yards as he accomplished the feat in just 26 games; FB Daimon Shelton developed into one of the most punishing fullbacks in the NFL clearing holes for McGahee and the rushing attack … In 2004, he coached his second straight 1,000-yard rusher as McGahee produced 1,128 yards; McGahee also tied a Bills’ rookie record with 13 touchdowns; guided McGahee to an explosive start to his career as he became only the third NFL back since 1970 to rush for 100 yards in his first three starts; Shelton caught a career-high 17 passes for 114 yards in 2004 …Studesville spent three seasons coaching running backs for the New York Giants (2001-03)…Under Studesville, Tiki Barber ran for 1,216 and led the team in receptions with 69 for 461 yards in 2003…Giants running backs rushed for 1,817 yards and caught 99 passes for another 776 yards in 2002 and in 2001, the Giants backs rushed for 1,659 yards and caught 123 passes for an additional 922 yards.

PERSONAL: A native of Madison, Wis., Studesville earned a degree in physical education with a minor in coaching at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he played defensive back. He received a master's degree in exercise physiology from Arizona. He worked with the Bears coaching staff during training camp in 1996 as part of the NFL minority fellowship program…lives in Hamburg, NY with his wife, Staci and daughter Sydni.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2010, 06:53 PM

I second that. Coming in to be the new RB coach in Denver is like...... following a Super Bowl winning Broncos coach with a rookie coach.... I hope he is great because those a huge shoes to fill and a demanding fan base.

broncofaninfla
01-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I like what I know about him, think this is a good signing.

Lonestar
01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Hmmmm wonder if he knows Josh is the HC. Since everyone seems to be bailing out of DEN. Maybe someone ought to tell him :D.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

cuzz4169
01-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I live in the Buffalo area...and a lot of my friends are die hard bills fans. They said besides Bobby April Eric Studesville is a big lose to the bills.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2010, 11:38 PM
http://twitter.com/VicLombardi

Studesville on his way to Denver as new Broncos RBcoach. Also, more hirings expected tomorrow

Lonestar
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Sources: Studesville joins Broncos' coaching staff
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 01/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

By all accounts around the NFL, Eric Studesville is a quality guy and a quality coach who got swept up in a difficult situation.

The former Buffalo Bills running backs coach has agreed to terms to join the Broncos' coaching staff, four NFL sources confirmed. Studesville and the rest of the Bills' coaching staff were let go at season's end when interim head coach Perry Fewell was not retained.

Fewell was hired to be the New York Giants' defensive coordinator, and the remainder of the Bills' staff was left scrambling. Studesville, who also has been the running backs coach for the Giants, has coached Tiki Barber, Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson — all 1,000-yard rushers in the NFL.

Studesville, 42, is expected to be at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters today. He was the Bills' running game coordinator too and is versed in that portion of game planning as well.
The Broncos continued to work toward filling their vacant defensive coordinator position Wednesday. Dean Pees still has the inside track on that job. But the 60-year-old coach has dealt with health issues over the last year, including being hospitalized overnight in Houston after experiencing shortness of breath during the New England Patriots' regular-season finale.

Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale met with head coach Josh McDaniels about the defensive coordinator job and is getting heavy consideration as well, according to two NFL sources. Martindale has been a linebackers coach since he entered NFL coaching as an Oakland Raiders assistant in 2004.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14234411#ixzz0dHtQzBTv

JDL
01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
It's a good hire. Imo, Turner was always on his way out and I am thankful to have had him for so long, but it was time.

Moreno has a lot of growth to do in terms of recognizing holes and when to cut back or bounce to the outside hole... he has almost zero confidence out there to do anything but stick his face right where the hole is supposed to be even if the OL is getting shoved back.

People talk over and over about the OL, but Jones-Drew played Indy right after we did, faced the same penetrating LBs/DL into the backfield (like ALL RBs do constantly) and he cut it back against the grain and burned them time and again. Yeah there were some losses but he knew how to make a D pay for being TOO aggressive. Moreno had tired legs at the end of the season (had almost no moves left in his legs) and was not finding the holes that actually were there... you don't have big holes in the NFL... you have to make instantaneous decisions ... and when you are a rookie with tired legs and a bit confused out there, that hesitation kills. It is why Buck was more successful... Moreno is better than him, I just hope he can learn those nuances from Studesville and become a more decisive back - I just hope it isn't a vision issue as those are uncorrectable... see Tatum Bell.