PDA

View Full Version : Broncos consider Martindale for coordinator

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14224493

Though Dean Pees is considered the frontrunner to be the Broncos' next defensive coordinator, Denver linebackers coach Don Martindale is being considered for the job, according to two NFL sources.

Martindale, 46, was hired last year as part of coach Josh McDaniels' first staff with the Broncos. Martindale has been a linebackers coach since coming into the NFL in 2004 as a member of the Oakland Raiders' coaching staff.

He had been with the Raiders until he was hired by McDaniels. Martindale has not been a defensive coordinator since 1999 when he was at Western Illinois University.

Pees was defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots before parting ways with the team last week.

The Broncos parted ways with defensive coordinator Mike Nolan on Monday. Nolan became the defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Hmmm . . . and here some of us thought it was McDaniels with someone else in his hip pocket.

Anyway, I already had the idea that it might be good to at least consider Martindale . . .

-----

dogfish
01-19-2010, 11:14 PM
this is good-- i approve. . . as long as it isn't just a sham to avoid criticism of JMFMCD for going after more new england leftovers. . .

i'd be far happier with martindale than pees, although i still think that's who we'll end up with. . .

gimme the guy who's fifteen years younger and doesn't have the health problems-- we NEED to establish some continuity around here, it's absolutely freakin' crucial. . . martindale worked with nolan last year, i'm guessing he would keep most of the terminology the same, and he and our players are already familiar with each other-- they've had very positive things to say about him, i think they trust him, and he's had a year to learn their strengths and weaknesses. . . also, it would finally give DJ and doom a year under the same guy/hopefully same system, and keep us from stunting ayers' growth with a new coach, even if we did bring in another LB coach. . .

plus, it would be martindale's first year as a pro DC, and while that's not ideal, at least it makes it fairly unlikely that somebody hires him away in the near future. . .

ikillz0mbies
01-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Great news. Like I have mentioned in other threads, I'm all for hiring from within because it makes it easier on the players to transition into what the new DC wants and because there is some consistency between staff and players.

bcbronc
01-19-2010, 11:58 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14224493

He had been with the Raiders until he was hired by McDaniels. Martindale has not been a defensive coordinator since 1999 when he was at Western Illinois University.

anyone remember anything about his time at Western Illinois?

this is good-- i approve. . . as long as it isn't just a sham to avoid criticism of JMFMCD for going after more new england leftovers. . .

i'd be far happier with martindale than pees, although i still think that's who we'll end up with. . .

gimme the guy who's fifteen years younger and doesn't have the health problems-- we NEED to establish some continuity around here, it's absolutely freakin' crucial. . . martindale worked with nolan last year, i'm guessing he would keep most of the terminology the same, and he and our players are already familiar with each other-- they've had very positive things to say about him, i think they trust him, and he's had a year to learn their strengths and weaknesses. . . also, it would finally give DJ and doom a year under the same guy/hopefully same system, and keep us from stunting ayers' growth with a new coach, even if we did bring in another LB coach. . .

plus, it would be martindale's first year as a pro DC, and while that's not ideal, at least it makes it fairly unlikely that somebody hires him away in the near future. . .

the biggest issue for me is McDaniel's youth and inexperience. It was great to have a former head coach on the staff for McDaniels to lean on a bit. ah screw it, McDaniels is handling his shit like an old pro. ;)

If Martindale does get the DC job, I'd like to see McDaniels bring in a "solid veteran" at OC.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-20-2010, 12:05 AM

You really think they're going to interview a coach just to avoid criticism from uneducated, pessimistic, overweight football fans?

That is just ridiculous!

topscribe
01-20-2010, 12:37 AM
You really think they're going to interview a coach just to avoid criticism from uneducated, pessimistic, overweight football fans?

That is just ridiculous!

Should the Raiders interview fans for their uneducated, pessimistic, overweight coach?

*sorry* http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thugh.gif

-----

dogfish
01-20-2010, 01:20 AM
the biggest issue for me is McDaniel's youth and inexperience. It was great to have a former head coach on the staff for McDaniels to lean on a bit. ah screw it, McDaniels is handling his shit like an old pro. ;)

If Martindale does get the DC job, I'd like to see McDaniels bring in a "solid veteran" at OC.

yea, that was one of the things i liked about having nolan as well. . . and while i do agree with you, i'm afraid it doesn't appear likely-- we already have an OC in place (never a guarantee of anything around here, i know :D ), and even if we didn't i really don't see a QUALITY veteran OC having any in terest in the position. . . maybe a retread who doesn't have many options, but what self-respecting proven OC wants to fetch coffee for a 32-year-old, seeming control freak coach who calls all the plays himself? especially after the "mutually agreed upon" parting of ways with an accomplished and successful DC after just one season. . .

dogfish
01-20-2010, 01:21 AM

That is just ridiculous!

oh right, i forgot-- multi-million dollar businesses NEVER engage in PR! and no NFL team has ever taken any action with a thought to putting butts in the seats-- it's all about winning, the bottom line takes care of itself. . .

yea, thank goodness you were here to remind me. . . thanks a bunch!

:wave:

CoachChaz
01-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Let's not pretend that Nolan's time as a head coach wasnt filled with failure and controversy. I wouldnt exactly call him the best choice to mentor a new head coach.

As far as the topic goes...I wouldnt be disappointed to see martindale get a chance, but I also wouldnt be sickened if we hired Pees like some would. If he had been the DC for any other team, people would be all over him. Like it or not, the guy has had success...until the head coach traded away/let go/let walk all of his pass rushers and CB's

Medford Bronco
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Wow we can have Wink Martindale. :lol:

sorry I am sure he is okay but that was a 25 mph fastball set up on a tee for that bad joke :lol:

broncofaninfla
01-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I would prefer Martindale over Pees

Dirk
01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I always prefer hiring from within. But only if that person is up for the task.

I don't know that much about "Wink" to make a judgement call on this one. I will have to defer to McD's inside slant to make the right choice.

broncofaninfla
01-20-2010, 09:16 AM
The Broncos ARE dealing with a PR issue with Mcd, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this story was leaked on purpose.

claymore
01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
The players liked Slowik too.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I love the fact this decission wasn't made in one day and it appears McD is taking his time choosing a new DC.
I have not loved how McD has handled many situations and I am glad to see he is taking the time to look at different coaches and not just hiring the first NE person to answer thier phone.

broncofaninfla
01-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I love the fact this decission wasn't made in one day and it appears McD is taking his time choosing a new DC.
I have not loved how McD has handled many situations and I am glad to see he is taking the time to look at different coaches and not just hiring the first NE person to answer thier phone.

Keep in mind Mcd can't even speak to Pees until Feb. Pees is still under contract with NE until Feb 1. Mcd can ask for permission to speak with Pees before hand if he choses to do so.

shank
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow we can have Wink Martindale. :lol:

sorry I am sure he is okay but that was a 25 mph fastball set up on a tee for that bad joke :lol:

a ball couldn't be both moving at 25 mph AND sitting on a tee. metaphor fail.

bcbronc
01-21-2010, 02:27 AM
a ball couldn't be both moving at 25 mph AND sitting on a tee. metaphor fail.

what if the tee was on a roller-skate?

Lonestar
01-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Keep in mind Mcd can't even speak to Pees until Feb. Pees is still under contract with NE until Feb 1. Mcd can ask for permission to speak with Pees before hand if he choses to do so.

Not so sure this is correct, IIRC he asked to be released from his contract in NE and they granted it. if that is the case then they should be able to chat about the job.

Perhaps he will be brought into "consult" as time is a wasting getting draft choices graded.

I'd much rather have our NEW guy on the job ASAP so he can figure out who has to go and who stays. What we need in FA and the draft.

broncofaninfla
01-21-2010, 06:36 AM
I just hope this is a real consideration and not some token showing.

claymore
01-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Itd be hilarious if Ben McDaniels was promoted to DC.