PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign WR Keary Colbert

Pages : [1] 2 3

Buff
03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/01/2008 05:51:27 PM MST

The Broncos made their first out-of-house free-agent agreement in the form of receiver Keary Colbert.

The Carolina receiver agreed to terms on a three-year contract Saturday. Colbert, 25, had 32 catches last season. His best season was in 2004, his rookie season when he was a second-round pick form USC. He had 47 catches that season.

Colbert will compete with Brandon Stokley for the No. 2 starting job opposite blooming star Brandon Marshall. The Broncos have an opening in wake of the release of Javon Walker on Friday.

Bill Williamson: 303-954-1262 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com.

Escobar
03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Never heard of him.

jlarsiii
03-01-2008, 08:09 PM
All I can say is. . . . . . wow. . . . . .:rolleyes:

dogfish
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
oooh, power move! i bet aj smith is soilin' his shorts right about now. . .

Buff
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
As I just agreed with Dog in the other thread, I wish we would have given Drew Carter a look over Colbert. Carter has the speed we need. Colbert was good at USC, but has been banged up for the better part of his NFL career. Unless he improves dramatically, he doesn't provide us with a bonafide #2.

claymore
03-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I like it. Kids got allot of potential, and is used to super star WR's like S. Smith. I doubt he is going to be a head case, and young enough to embrace being a Bronco.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Three years, 2.42 million a year. That's as cheap as they were going to come. If he can be like he was as a rookie and stay healthy, it's not a bad option. He's young, and at least it's someone to go long with Brandon.

xzn
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I love USC but I still think he's more of a fourth WR. I hope we are still looking for a true number two.

Buff
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't hate the move... He does have potential, and he is still young so maybe he can overcome the injury bug... The other thing to think about is that many of the potential impact WR's in the draft are being valued after the #12 slot but before we pick in round #2. So, with Lynch resigning, and the Broncos hosting a WR and a Safety during the onset of free agency... You can pretty much scratch those positions off of our draft board during round 1 for sure, and likely round 2 as well.

Which is good, that means we can focus on DT, OT and LB.

jlarsiii
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Three years, 2.42 million a year. That's as cheap as they were going to come. If he can be like he was as a rookie and stay healthy, it's not a bad option. He's young, and at least it's someone to go long with Brandon.

That could be the case, but after letting Javon go it started me on the idea of us using our second round pick on a Wr like Thomas (if he was there). I know it takes time for WR to develop, but it would have potentially been worth it.

I hope Colbert works out for us. If not then what?

Italianmobstr7
03-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Not a bad signing, but not a great one either. We'll see how this works out. At least we got him for cheap.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Marshall, Scheffler, Colbert, Graham and Stokley give us a pretty decent pack of receivers, not to mention the screens to our backs.

I still think Denver could jump on a receiver early; but I think Colbert has enough potential (IMHO) to place WR as a mid-round need (4/5) than a top three round need. Not that I don't think we should draft one say at #42; but there will be a lot of names in that area of the draft (mid rounds) who can help too.

slim
03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Not very exciting…of course, that's what I thought when they signed Eddie Mac (and that turned out pretty well). If Colbert can be half that good I will be happy.

WARHORSE
03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Look at it this way guys.

Who was throwing to him in Carolina?

Right.

Nobody.

This has all high upside, no downside.

Matt Moore?

Vinny Testeverde?

David Carr?

Hes 6'1", 200, and its all about a new horizon here in Denver.

I like it.

Plus it leaves big money for a certain DT Id like.

mopatt24
03-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm at peace with this move. Kid has potential and he's young, giving him time to grow with this new core group.

I had a chance to see him play in person a couple of times at USC, he's good.

topscribe
03-01-2008, 08:30 PM
That could be the case, but after letting Javon go it started me on the idea of us using our second round pick on a Wr like Thomas (if he was there). I know it takes time for WR to develop, but it would have potentially been worth it.

Why? Did the Broncos announce they are all through signing players now?

Anyway, whether Colber is a good option depends on which Colbert shows up.
He has looked the budding superstar at one time and a bust another. He has
weighed in from 199 to 207 lbs at different times, and has run from 4.38 to
4.6 in the 40. He was good enough at USC to make me, as an UA fan, to
hate him, yet disappeared much of the time as a pro.

The jury is still out on him, and now I eagerly await . . .

-----

Buff
03-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Dog, we have a habit of raiding other teams trash bins of multiple players... Maybe we'll sign Drew Carter too; we can get him for cheap and give ourselves a legitimit deep threat at the same time. All in favor?

claymore
03-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Position: WR
Class: Sr
School: Southern Cal
Conference: Pac-10
Ht., Wt.: 6'1, 207
40 Time: 4.62
Grade: 3.81

BIO: Record-setting wide receiver who finished his senior campaign catching 69/1,013/9 after 71/1,029/5 the prior season. Owns the USC career receptions record with 207.

POSITIVES: Sure-handed receiver that always comes away with the reception. Fluid releasing off the line of scrimmage, runs effective routes and comes back to the ball out of breaks, giving his quarterback a nice target. Shields opponents with his frame or gets vertical in a crowd for the high pass. Alert on the football field and refined in all his techniques. Tracks the deep pass and easily adjusts to the throw running full tilt. Works hard running and a solid blocker at the line of scrimmage or down the field.

NEGATIVES: Not a speedy wide out that beats opponents down the field. Also lacks the top size to be considered a true possession receiver.

Selected by Carolina Panthers
Round 2, pick 30 (62 overall)
ANALYSIS: Known as a high-character prospect and competitive player, Colbert is the perfect complementary receiver at the next level that could easily fill the duties of a number two wide out. His sense for the game and toughness on the field should have him selected late in the draft's first day.

PROJECTION: Mid Second Round

Sounds like a good pickup to me. But Im an Idiot that supports the Broncos blindly. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey Dog, we have a habit of raiding other teams trash bins of multiple players... Maybe we'll sign Drew Carter too; we can get him for cheap and give ourselves a legitimit deep threat at the same time. All in favor?

If it's for the same price, it's not a bad idea. Pair them up with a Dexter Jackson, or someone else, and it's not a bad set of guys.

Scarface
03-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I love USC but I still think he's more of a fourth WR. I hope we are still looking for a true number two.

Yep. I hope we're not penciling him into the #2 spot. Stokely can't handle all the reps of a #2 without breaking down physically. Colbert, like you said, is ideally a 4 or maybe a 3.

Donte Stallworth would have been nice opposite B-Marsh. Instead he's going to play opposite Braylon Edwards in Cleveland with the weapons they already have there.

Bronco4ever
03-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Does this signing mean we won't try to get Bryant Johnson? I have hopped on that Johnson bandwagon like a few of you here.

EMB6903
03-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I like it. Kids got allot of potential, and is used to super star WR's like S. Smith. I doubt he is going to be a head case, and young enough to embrace being a Bronco.

I wouldnt say A guy thats been in the league 4 years has "alot of potential" but I do like this signing.... I dont know the contract situation but I think he will contribute in 2008 for this team.

dogfish
03-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Marshall, Scheffler, Colbert, Graham and Stokley give us a pretty decent pack of receivers, not to mention the screens to our backs.

I still think Denver could jump on a receiver early; but I think Colbert has enough potential (IMHO) to place WR as a mid-round need (4/5) than a top three round need. Not that I don't think we should draft one say at #42; but there will be a lot of names in that area of the draft (mid rounds) who can help too.

what do you know about jerome simpson? i'm kinda thinking he might be worth a 2nd day flier. . .

we could do worse-- they have complimentary skill sets, and you could use colbert primarily on underneath stuff and in possesion situations, and let carter line up outside and get vertical. . . maybe between them they could generate the numbers of an adequte #2-- not ideal obviously, you'd rather have that all-around threat, but i think our passing game will be decent if we can protect cutler, and marshall stays healthy. . . those are my main concerns. . . add in martinez and we'd at least have some options-- it'd be nice to have another big body, but graham and chef help out there. . .

one good thing about jay is that he spreads the ball around pretty well. . .

underrated29
03-01-2008, 08:54 PM
HA theres another one on my D thomas train. woo woo.

I like this move, not gonna cream my pants or anything but there are two main factors in my mind why he will be good here.

1. Sure Hands- Jay can rocket the ball, we need people with sure hands to make sure they come away with those missles.

2. Good Blocker- We are a running team anyway, and when the run works, everything works for us. So if he is a good blocker and can help open up the run, then the pass will come after that.

I dont like stallworth for that reason- speed yeah, but not a great blocker. Marshall is a pimp becuse he can block, same with rod, and eddymac. They could block. Recievers who can block well, always thrive in our system.

Recievers who cant well- ask ashley lelie, or nash, or any other wr that has passed through here.

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Booooooooooooo

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I honestly don't know spit about Jerome Simpson, but some people really like him.

On a side note, Sammy Knight who was in with Colbert is visiting with the Giants now and if he signs there, the only other option really at safety as a potential starter is Eugene Wilson, who had started for the Pats for most of his time there, but injuries the past two years kinda hurt him. He'd come cheap as well, so I'd be okay with getting him.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I have no issue w/ this for a few reasons.

1-cheap...kid has some talent if he stays healthy. As already posted, his stats are not necessarily a measure given the QB issues they had in Carolina.

2-He is solid depth

3-He isn't so good that Shanny will pass on another option that may present itself. Not saying Johnson is still an option, but say a stud WR drops into our laps at 42, I don't see Shanny saying..."It'd be nice to get this young stud, but we already have Keary Colbert." As I posted before, if we aren't getting THE guys for the SB run, get guys we don't mind replacing when we see THE guy.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 08:59 PM
I honestly don't know spit about Jerome Simpson, but some people really like him.

On a side note, Sammy Knight who was in with Colbert is visiting with the Giants now and if he signs there, the only other option really at safety as a potential starter is Eugene Wilson, who had started for the Pats for most of his time there, but injuries the past two years kinda hurt him. He'd come cheap as well, so I'd be okay with getting him.

Given the current FA options...I'd rather stay w/ Hamza and Lynch (ugh) and address Safety in the draft. Nobody out there in FA will make me say..."wow, now we don't need a young S in the draft and can go another direction."

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
were done...

shank
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Recievers who cant well- ask ashley lelie, or nash, or any other wr that has passed through here.

i had a marcus nash sighting today. he's playing arena league. :lol:

i have nothing against colbert being signed, but i'm nervous for what it means. either shanny sees him as a #2, which he hasn't proven yet, or he's a #4 and we will probably still draft a wr high.

i do like his cost though, hope he can come in and produce, live up to 2nd round status.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Given the current FA options...I'd rather stay w/ Hamza and Lynch (ugh) and address Safety in the draft. Nobody out there in FA will make me say..."wow, now we don't need a young S in the draft and can go another direction."

I'd still draft a safety if we got Wilson, but draft a SS.

G_Money
03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Colbert's all right as a slot option. That suggests to me that Stokley's being given the de-facto #2 role, and I don't know that he can hold up there all season.

We'll see. I'm still hoping for a WR in the draft so that we have somebody waiting in the wings when either Colbert or Stokley breaks down, but on its own merits Colbert can be a good receiver when healthy and he doesn't break the bank. I'm not jumping for joy but I don't hate it either.

It's a piece. We'll need several others before May, but it's a start.

~G

Drill-N-Fill
03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd still draft a safety if we got Wilson, but draft a SS.

I like Yerimiah Bell from the Phins. But he can't seem to stay healthy. He's a play maker and good against the run. A good player in a terrible secondary.

Scarface
03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2007/11/04/21/956-PANTHERS_TITANS_28.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.5 7.JPG
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/55655605.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/56281295.jpg

broncosfanscott
03-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Never heard of Kerry Colbert so I can't really say anything but wait and see.

Scarface
03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Colbert's all right as a slot option. That suggests to me that Stokley's being given the de-facto #2 role, and I don't know that he can hold up there all season.

We'll see. I'm still hoping for a WR in the draft so that we have somebody waiting in the wings when either Colbert or Stokley breaks down, but on its own merits Colbert can be a good receiver when healthy and he doesn't break the bank. I'm not jumping for joy but I don't hate it either.

~G

The thing is Shanny's already been quoted saying he overused Stokely and wants to limit his snaps. So using Stokely as the #2 WR wouldn't make sense.

shank
03-01-2008, 09:07 PM

~G

no way stokely's being given #2. mikey said that they needed to keep his reps to a minimum to maintain his effectiveness and health as he really wore down at the end of last season. i would be that we will draft another receiver, in what round i have no idea... i'd say as high as 1, as low as 7th :lol:

Scarface
03-01-2008, 09:08 PM
» The Broncos signed former Panthers receiver Keary Colbert to a three-year deal worth $2.4 million per year. --Adam Schefter

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d806f9041&template=with-video&confirm=true

Buff
03-01-2008, 09:08 PM
As I mentioned earlier... I think the fact that the Broncos signed Colbert, and hosted a Safety in Knight means that they will not be targeting those positions in the 1st 2 rounds.

Obviously I've been wrong before, but I think they're trying to shore up WR and Safety via free agency so they can target a DT, LB or OT in rounds #1 and #2.

topscribe
03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
no way stokely's being given #2. mikey said that they needed to keep his reps to a minimum to maintain his effectiveness and health as he really wore down at the end of last season. i would be that we will draft another receiver, in what round i have no idea... i'd say as high as 1, as low as 7th :lol:

I tend to agree with that, regarding Stokley.

I suspect Shanny was thinking depth.

-----

WARHORSE
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I dont think its the slot Colbert is being eyed for. I honestly think the kid can come into our offense and contribute.

He aint gonna be the same as he was in Carolina, thats for sure.

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 09:12 PM
what about safety though?

Scarface
03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
what about safety though?

Probably won't be Sammy Knight.:beer:

GIANTS FINALLY DO SOMETHING

The defending Super Bowl champions already have lost three players to free agency. And despite having a glut of cap space they've signed none.

But now they're getting involved in the process. By bringing in for a visit . . . safety Sammy Knight. According to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger, Knight visited the Broncos, left without a contract, and will head to New York.

Knight has played for the Saints, Dolphins, Chiefs, and Jaguars, starting 15 games during the 2007 season in Jacksonville. He'd replace Gibril Wilson at a much cheaper price than the Raiders paid for Wilson.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

nj10
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Good pickup...Glad we're making some moves now.

shank
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
more like making gay moves

we have the 'high five' system, should i head over to the town hall board and propose a 'slap in the face' system?

dogfish
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM

dude, you slackin' on me? i expect you to know about receiver prospects from coastal carolina, dream. . . :laugh:

G, you got anything on simpson?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 09:32 PM

Bronco4ever
03-01-2008, 09:33 PM

This isn't a game of Madden. Get over it dude.

nj10
03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
we have the 'high five' system, should i head over to the town hall board and propose a 'slap in the face' system?

No way...We're going to sign Randy Moss, Lance Briggs, re-sign Javon Walker, sign Marion Barber and Julius Jones. Then we're going to trade Foxworth for the #1 pick and take McFadden.:coffee:

topscribe
03-01-2008, 09:34 PM

You've made three nonsensical posts in this thread now.

Do you have something to contribute?

-----

shank
03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
No way...We're going to sign Randy Moss, Lance Briggs, re-sign Javon Walker, sign Marion Barber and Julius Jones. Then we're going to trade Foxworth for the #1 pick and take McFadden.:coffee:

cross briggs off that list, apperantly he's resigned with the bears.

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM

-----

u wanna squab bla!

nj10
03-01-2008, 09:38 PM
cross briggs off that list, apperantly he's resigned with the bears.

nope. They'll cut him again so we can sign him and stop making "gay moves"

yardog
03-01-2008, 09:41 PM

-----

This is nothing new Top but thanks for trying.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2008, 09:46 PM
u wanna squab bla!

Enough please

TimBuff10
03-01-2008, 09:56 PM
This is good, Colbert will obviously be the #4, so now they are all set to bring in a real #2 like DJ Hackett.

I think he is probably the best option out there right now.

UnderArmour
03-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Super Bowl here we come! We just signed a huge playmaker at WR who will surely catch 100 receptions and score 14 times. Colbert will be a beast in our system! Who needs a Randy Moss? We got Colbert who has been producing his whole career and isn't a one year wonder like Moss.

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 10:30 PM
lets squab all of u lets do it

DenBronx
03-01-2008, 10:32 PM
if we brought this guy in to be the #2 WR then im not impressed at all. if he is going to compete for the #3 or #4 job then fine. we lost walker and we should settle for some bloke that had 30 something catches the past couple of years with ZERO touchdowns? does this guy even return kickoffs or punts? 2.5 mill a year for this guy??? are you kidding???

surely the broncos have some ideas about WR other than this guy. CLEARLY we are going to pick defense with the first round pick but who is there in the 2nd that is good? and who besides hackett is worth signing as a threat at WR??

broncohead
03-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Good signing. Adds depth but a WR in the 4th or 5th would still be nice.

DenBronx
03-01-2008, 10:38 PM
lets squab all of u lets do it

*get's out ebonics book*

*turns to page 2 where the definition of "squab" is*

squab: to argue sensless while trying to throw down.

hmmm....

...my friend you need therapy and a new vocabulary.

DenBronx
03-01-2008, 10:40 PM

have fun in jail tonight....

yardog
Please grow up or go away#1bmarshfan .

dogfish

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5028/normalbanhimko4.jpg

DenBronx
03-01-2008, 10:42 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/failjt1.gif

DenBronx
03-01-2008, 10:43 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/failfr7.jpg

slim
This has Jwalk written all over it...just saying.

#1bmarshfan
uh.. NO!

DenBronx
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/shh.jpg

Fan in Exile
03-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I didn't know anything about Colbert so I looked him up at Football Outsiders. That was really depressing. Of the 87 guys who were targeted more than 50 times he ranked 87. I really hope that had a lot to do with their QB problems but now I hope we bring in one other WR in the Draft.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

DenBronx
03-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I didn't know anything about Colbert so I looked him up at Football Outsiders. That was really depressing. Of the 87 guys who were targeted more than 50 times he ranked 87. I really hope that had a lot to do with their QB problems but now I hope we bring in one other WR in the Draft.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

i dont see why everyone is high on this guy. i'll admit....ive never even heard of him until today. i think shanny is scared to make a move now. bowlen i think made him **** his pants by the post season remarks about not making anymore free agent mistakes.

Bronco4ever
03-01-2008, 10:59 PM
u all like **** in and around ut mouth

Did your mom not give you your milk tonight? I think it's bed time. Nighty night! :sleeping:

jlarsiii
03-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Why? Did the Broncos announce they are all through signing players now?

Anyway, whether Colber is a good option depends on which Colbert shows up.
He has looked the budding superstar at one time and a bust another. He has
weighed in from 199 to 207 lbs at different times, and has run from 4.38 to
4.6 in the 40. He was good enough at USC to make me, as an UA fan, to
hate him, yet disappeared much of the time as a pro.

The jury is still out on him, and now I eagerly await . . .

-----

It is obvious that the jury is still out on Colbert. The question is can he stay healthy enough to be productive? In that I totally agree with you.

I have no clue how many players we will sign in FA. As of right now we have Bmarsh, Stokely, Martinez, and Colbert. I know we could easily add players for depth but the signing of Colbert lowers the chances that we take a WR early in the draft. It takes drafted WRs a few years to become productive usually so even if we do take one early it would be foolish to expect much out of them. So if Colbert goes down then what do we do?

We could bring in other FA, but I am curious to see what you think if none of them happen to be another WR. That was all. . . . would you be happy if no other WR are signed this offseason?

Slick
03-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for dropping the hammer on that clown. I was enjoying this thread until then.

Well, I have to admit, I did laugh some of slims replies.

EDIT: The fact that slim went to the trouble to post a picture of feminine hygiene device, deserves credit.

keithbishop
03-01-2008, 11:45 PM

~G

That's a fair assessment. While Colbert isn't a glamorous signing, he comes at a fair price. If a WR isn't added high in the draft (tough to picture when we have more pressing needs), Colbert and Stokley can battle for the #2 spot. Not great, but hardly the end of the world.

Tempting as it may be to throw a lot of $ at one player, there isn't enough cap room to do so with needs at OT, DT, LB, S, K, FB..... and the list goes on, unfortunately. It's extremely difficult to be patient during FA, but reality dictates that is how the Broncos will operate this offseason.

Dreadnought
03-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Decent signing. I haven't watched a ton of Panther games, though. My concern w/ Colbert is that he wasn't able to thrive in Carolina as a #2, and I think has a rep for dropping more than his share of balls.

The price is right, and he'll get a shot to recharge his career here. Certainly worth a training camp invite, though I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the roster.

shank
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Decent signing. I haven't watched a ton of Panther games, though. My concern w/ Colbert is that he wasn't able to thrive in Carolina as a #2, and I think has a rep for dropping more than his share of balls.

The price is right, and he'll get a shot to recharge his career here. Certainly worth a training camp invite, though I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the roster.

i believe he's easily good enough to make the roster. he can be an effective #3 at the very least. hell if he lived up to his draft status, he'd be a solid #2!

(i wish, i wish, upon a star...)

hamrob
03-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Colbert is average at best. The guy was a #2 pick that ended up being a #3/#4 receiver. 2.4m/yr for this guy is stretching it. I hope BMarsh can handle those double and triple teams...b/c nobody's going to be worried about Colber's blazing 4.6 speed!

Buff
03-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I've decided that I'm going to call him Keary Col-Bear... A-La Stephen Colbert.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Colbert is average at best. The guy was a #2 pick that ended up being a #3/#4 receiver. 2.4m/yr for this guy is stretching it. I hope BMarsh can handle those double and triple teams...b/c nobody's going to be worried about Colber's blazing 4.6 speed!

Just like no one was worried about Eddie mac blazing speed they did have to cover him because he made catches.. If Colbert can do that then Marshall will have a good year.. Besides we still have Scheffler, Graham, Stokely and a few RB out of the backfield they have to respect also..

If this kid can block and bring in 40-60 catches a year he is worth the coin..

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
03-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Colbert was very good in his rookie year.
I think that he has the potential to play at that level again.

plus this year he will have a real quaterback throwing to him in Jay Cutler and not some old fart like Vinny Testeverde.

nj10
03-02-2008, 04:09 AM
I've decided that I'm going to call him Keary Col-Bear... A-La Stephen Colbert.

Only Keary's last name is pronounced Col-burt

WAB
03-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Only Keary's last name is pronounced Col-burt

SoCalBronco
03-02-2008, 04:57 AM
One thing to concider. Colbert is a good blocker.
I remeber it being mentioned when He was a Trojan, playing opposite Mike Williams. Williams had the body but Colbert was by far the better blocker down field.

PatricktheDookie
03-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Shanahan likes using two tight ends. Therefore.

1) Marshall
2) Scheffler
3) Graham
4) Henry or Young

Leaving our fifth eligible receiver, in most situations, to be split between Stokley and Colbert.

Works for me!

artie_dale
03-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Either way, I'm not too sure Stokely would be a great #2 WR anyway. One way or another, Marshall will get double teamed which takes pressure off of Scheff, Graham and who ever is the #2 & #3 WR's. If he (Colbert) blocks, makes running the ball easier. He's cheap and he's not a nobody (IMO).

HolyDiver
03-02-2008, 07:30 AM
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/01/2008 05:51:27 PM MST

The Broncos made their first out-of-house free-agent agreement in the form of receiver Keary Colbert.

The Carolina receiver agreed to terms on a three-year contract Saturday. Colbert, 25, had 32 catches last season. His best season was in 2004, his rookie season when he was a second-round pick form USC. He had 47 catches that season.

Colbert will compete with Brandon Stokley for the No. 2 starting job opposite blooming star Brandon Marshall. The Broncos have an opening in wake of the release of Javon Walker on Friday.

Bill Williamson: 303-954-1262 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com.

This could be a good signing. Having Martinez ant the #3 spot worried the hell out of me. Colbert still has untapped potential.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
http://www.panthersfanz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13468

Panther fans aren't exactly upset to see him go...

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Broncos signed Keary Colbert to a three-year, $7.2 million contract, including a $2.5 million signing bonus.
A surprising move by Denver, and a dream second chance for Colbert to turn his career around. The Broncos loved Colbert coming out of USC, but he's had a crisis of confidence the last few years. Denver will add talent, but Colbert will compete to start.
Source: NFL.com

Scarface
03-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Panther fans aren't exactly upset to see him go...

Yeah but they're Panther fans. What the hell do they know?:laugh:

claymore
03-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah but they're Panther fans. What the hell do they know?:laugh:
There was also a common tone of "Watch, now he is going to be a star." posts. I like him, I think we got a real deal. If He can catch, and runs good routes, than the sky is the limit.

BeefStew25
03-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I think this was a good signing. We did not throw the checkbook at the guy, and from what it sounds like, he has a brain.

Maybe he will perform a little better now that he doesn't have a rag arm throwing to him.

BeefStew25
03-02-2008, 10:00 AM
This could be a good signing. Having Martinez ant the #3 spot worried the hell out of me. Colbert still has untapped potential.

Whoa.....hold on a second. Martinez did everything asked of him in the slot. He might be a HOFer. Take that back.

TXBRONC
03-02-2008, 10:02 AM

J if we draft a wide receiver this year I sure hope it isn't that early in the draft. As you pointed out it takes time to for receivers to develop and I think Shanahan really needs to address the interior defensive line and offensive line the draft early.

MHCBill
03-02-2008, 10:04 AM

Panther fans aren't exactly upset to see him go...So what?

Bronco9798
03-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Cutler and this system should make Colbert a better receiver. It's a decent signing in my opinion. Sign him cheap, then if he performs sign him to a new contract a few years down the road. I think he will play fine and do alright. He's only one of many that Cutler can throw to. Nobody is asking to him unseed Marshall. Just come in and make some catches. I'm sure he's capable of doing that. I'll think he'll do just fine.

Rex
03-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Hell of a bargain. I for one, am pleased to see Denver sitting back and letting others blow their cap on over priced FAs for once. Outside of a few, most are FA for a reason.

MHCBill
03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I really couldn't agree more than with the two previous posts from cswil and niner.

Home Run guys!

Dreadnought
03-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Hell of a bargain. I for one, am pleased to see Denver sitting back and letting others blow their cap on over priced FAs for once. Outside of a few, most are FA for a reason.

Thank you for your clear headedness and sanity.

On a further note, #1bmarshfan's next relevant and perceptive post will be his first. I'll look forward to it.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Look at it this way guys.

Who was throwing to him in Carolina?

Right.

Nobody.

This has all high upside, no downside.

Matt Moore?

Vinny Testeverde?

David Carr?

Hes 6'1", 200, and its all about a new horizon here in Denver.

I like it.

Plus it leaves big money for a certain DT Id like.

Jake Delhomme sure doesn't seem to have a hard time getting Steve Smith the ball.
I'm not very optomistic about this signing.
Weak attempt to fill the #2 spot. I hope we're not done looking.

yardog
03-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Did Delhomme play all 16 games in Colbert's rookie season when he had 47 catches for 700 yards and 5 tds? I think he was and as Delhomme started his run of injury shortened seasons Colbert's numbers dropped.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Did Delhomme play all 16 games in Colbert's rookie season when he had 47 catches for 700 yards and 5 tds? I think he was and as Delhomme started his run of injury shortened seasons Colbert's numbers dropped.

Delhomme is a good QB. He was hurt last year and Smiths #'s dropped also. However, while Delhomme and Smith had a few 100 catch season where the hell was Colbert.
Colbert couldn;t cut it thats why the Panthers drafted Jarrett last year.

Dean
03-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Colbert has decent speed (~4.6-4.7) but seems to play a little faster, he will catch in traffic, and he is a much better than average blocker. What's not to like at that price for an experienced receiver. When Eddie Mac got injured and then retired the Broncos used the TE position as the true #2 receiver. I see us returning to that tried and true cycle once again. IMO the offense will be fine.

The other side of the ball still scares me but the organization still has time to fix the defense. . . and to find a quality return man, punter and kicker.

yardog
03-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Delhomme is a good QB. He was hurt last year and Smiths #'s dropped also. However, while Delhomme and Smith had a few 100 catch season where the hell was Colbert.
Colbert couldn;t cut it thats why the Panthers drafted Jarrett last year.

I was thinking Delhomme had a couple season shortened by injury. I'm just saying I'm as good with Colbert as I would have been Clayton from TB. Could we use Johnson Yes. We will get him I'm not sure but it looks like no.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 12:57 PM
All I'm saying is that it's a weak attempt to fill the #2 spot. Hopefully he was signed to replace Stokley in the slot when he's done. Colbert is a 3 or 4, not a #2. Colbert wasn't let go because he made to much money. He was let go because he couldn't get the job done.
Like I said before, I hope we're not done yet.

pipes
03-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Colbert has decent speed (~4.6-4.7) but seems to play a little faster, he will catch in traffic, and he is a much better than average blocker. What's not to like at that price for an experienced receiver. When Eddie Mac got injured and then retired the Broncos used the TE position as the true #2 receiver. I see us returning to that tried and true cycle once again. IMO the offense will be fine.

The other side of the ball still scares me but the organization still has time to fix the defense. . . and to find a quality return man, punter and kicker.

Actually it was his speed that made his draft status climb from a 4th rounder up to a 2nd rounder.

http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/media/storage/paper679/news/2004/04/23/Sports/Williams.Aside.Six.Usc.Players.Could.Get.Drafted-669694.shtml

atwater27
03-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I am not sure what to think of the signing, but giving the guy an opportunity to compete for the #2 position can't hurt. Having a Qb worth a shit can't hurt either.

Stargazer
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Keary Colbert USC college highlights.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XufF229Xv3E

topscribe
03-02-2008, 02:14 PM

Actually, even though he had a 4.6 time at the Combine, Colbert has run the
40 as fast as 4.38. Perhaps more important, he had a pretty quick 10-yard
time at 1.56 and a 4.18 short shuttle. Shows pretty good athleticism, which
was no surprise to me because I saw him own the UA cornerbacks, who
were pretty good, even though UA was otherwise a doormat (both CBs are
expected to be drafted).

Here is the link to my figures: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=58424

What bothers me the most about Colbert is his inconsistency, as shown by
his fluctuation in both his speed times and his undulations in weight, ranging
from 199 to 207. But maybe the Broncos, because they need a good
receiver, can provide the environment where he can attain some stability.
I hope so because I saw a very good receiver in him when he was in college.

Regarding the defense, I don't share the doom and gloom I have sometimes
seen here. The linebackes don't have to be superstars . . . those on the
Pats and Giants aren't, outside Thomas, but the Broncos have Williams, who
will break out this season, whether he is inside or outside (mark my words).

The secondary is strong at the starting positions. They are rich in DEs with
Ekuban and Moss coming back. They need a couple DTs and some safety
depth. And they needed Slowick, IMO, to design the defense around the
personnel instead of the other way around. I think we'll see a marked
reversal this year, a return to the old days of a salty defense.

At least, those are my hopes, but they are well founded, IMO.

-----

turftoad
03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I am not sure what to think of the signing, but giving the guy an opportunity to compete for the #2 position can't hurt. Having a Qb worth a shit can't hurt either.

Hope you're right.

Like I said before, Delhomme sure didn't have a problem getting Steve Smith the ball so he can't be that bad. Colbert couldn't hold the #2 spot in Carolina, what makes you think he can do it in Den? Carolina let him go because he couldn't get the job done plain and simple.
Sorry guys but I don't have my Orange tinted glasses on with this signing.
I will root for him because he is a Bronco now but I'm not optimistic.

Scarface
03-02-2008, 02:33 PM
All I'm saying is that it's a weak attempt to fill the #2 spot. Hopefully he was signed to replace Stokley in the slot when he's done. Colbert is a 3 or 4, not a #2. Colbert wasn't let go because he made to much money. He was let go because he couldn't get the job done.
Like I said before, I hope we're not done yet.

We still have the draft. I doubt we're handing Colbert the #2 spot. He's going to have to compete against someone.

topscribe
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Hope you're right.

Like I said before, Delhomme sure didn't have a problem getting Steve Smith the ball so he can't be that bad. Colbert couldn't hold the #2 spot in Carolina, what makes you think he can do it in Den? Carolina let him go because he couldn't get the job done plain and simple.
I will root for him because he is a Broncos now but I'm optimistic.

I don't see many "orange tinted" glasses here. People are just showing some
of the positives, is all, but a few (including me) have also expressed their
concerns. Of course, we will have to wait and see. But Colber is undeniably
physically gifted. What he did or did not do at Carolina is passé. He is in
Denver now. Remember, McCaffrey didn't set the world in fire, either, until
he came here . . . and who was it, pray tell, McCaffrey had throwing to him
at San Francisco? :nod:

-----

BeefStew25
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Hope you're right.

Turf, if we had thrown an absolute shitpile of money his way, I would feel the same. But we didn't. He is there for depth and maybe a pleasant surprise.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 02:38 PM
We still have the draft. I doubt we're handing Colbert the #2 spot. He's going to have to compete against someone.

You know as well as I do Scar that the chances of a rookie WR starting as our #2 are slim to none.
Right now we have:
Colbert, Martinez, Hamilton, Stokley and maybe a rookie competing for that spot. How does anyone get excited about that?

BeefStew25
03-02-2008, 02:40 PM
You know as well as I do Scar that the chances of a rookie WR starting as our #2 are slim to none.
Right now we have:
Colbert, Martinez, Hamilton, Stokley and maybe a rookie competing for that spot. How does anyone get excited about that?

Turf, if you can't get excited about Martinez, there is really nothing I can do or say....

Scarface
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Right now we have:

I'm not going to throw a fit over it. I'd rather have Colbert and a rookie competing for the #2 spot then a selfish ego maniac like Javon Walker crying about being the #1. Cutler will be throwing to Marshall and Scheffler as his top 2 targerts. Stokely will play the slot and catch a lot of 3rd down balls. Whoever wins the #2 job will be getting whatever passes are left over.

topscribe
03-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Turf, if you can't get excited about Martinez, there is really nothing I can do or say....

Well, you'll have to admit, Martinez' play is better than his mug shot.

-----

Bronco Bible
03-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Hope you're right.

I think it is a good pickup-- because Delhomme does not use his other receivers until there is absolutly no chance of going to Smith--Colbert had a good rookie season only to be forgotten,I think he will do well in Denver JMO:coffee:

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Right now we have:

Seriously, what other options does Denver have at the moment?

Berrian? Dude sbroke the bank for $42 million. No thanks.

Stallworth? Most likely more than that. Neither one of those WR's are worth anything remotely close to that.

Bryant Johnson. He'll get more than Berrian/Stallworth. He isn't worth that either.

Moss? Keep dreaming.

Denver isn't exactly loaded with options. Colbert at the very least can provide depth.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Seriously, what other options does Denver have at the moment?

Berrian? Dude sbroke the bank for $42 million. No thanks.

Stallworth? Most likely more than that. Neither one of those WR's are worth anything remotely close to that.

Bryant Johnson. He'll get more than Berrian/Stallworth. He isn't worth that either.

Moss? Keep dreaming.

Denver isn't exactly loaded with options. Colbert at the very least can provide depth.

Johnson will get paid but not the same kind of money as Berrian or Stallworth.
I know we don't have many options, I'm just dissapointed.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Johnson will get paid but not the same kind of money as Berrian or Stallworth.
I know we don't have many options, I'm just dissapointed.

Johnson will likely get paid more.

If he doesn't, at the very least he will get paid way more then he's worth.

Would you rather Denver didn't sign him, and then left with WR as another gaping hole going into the draft?

turftoad
03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Johnson will likely get paid more.

If he doesn't, at the very least he will get paid way more then he's worth.

Would you rather Denver didn't sign him, and then left with WR as another gaping hole going into the draft?

Johnson won't get more.

As far as I;m concerned, it's still a gaping hole.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Johnson won't get more.

As far as I;m concerned, it's still a gaping hole.

It is, but it isn't pressing.

Denver has more holes than they do quality draft picks. There's already no way we're going to fill the need for a WR, OL, DT, LB, and S in the draft. At least Colbert eliminates WR as a pressing need.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 03:35 PM
It is, but it isn't pressing.

Denver has more holes than they do quality draft picks. There's already no way we're going to fill the need for a WR, OL, DT, LB, and S in the draft. At least Colbert eliminates WR as a pressing need.

Agreed.

The signing of Colbert make a less than mediocre WR corps well, less than mediocre.

topscribe
03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Agreed.

The signing of Colbert make a less than mediocre WR corps well, less than mediocre.

?? :confused: Mediocre? Marshall? Stokley?

Maybe I just have lower standards . . .

-----

fcspikeit
03-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I was a little put off by this at first, Either way he is a good pick up for the price. But the worry is that, now we have a receiver will we completely forget about the position? IMO, this signing did not warrant that...

Just like all the scrub DT's we got last year. They were just bodies to put on the field and nothing more. But Shanahan seems to get these scrubs then completely forget about the need we still have at the position.

It has been a couple days now and as time has gone on I have grown to like this signing more and more. The fact is, Colbert at worst has been not bad. We all know that receivers can play a couple years without doing much then all of a sudden brake out. Eddy Mac comes to mind along with guys like Eric Moulds. You normaly only get 4 or 5 good years out of a receive before his play drops off. Of course there are guys like Moss who bring a lot more then 4 or 5 years but no one is saying Colbert is one of those guys. We didn't pay him like one of those guys.

We now have Colbert in his best years, he has the chance to brake out and be really good for us. Even if he only catches 40 - 50 balls it was a good signing at the price we got him. Besides that, We have 2 really good TE's, (3 if Mikeys love for Jackson has merit) It makes no since to have 2 starting caliber TE's on your team if they aren't going to be apart of the game plan. There are only so many balls to go around. If our 2 WR's catch 80 + balls then what the hell do we need both Shef and DG for? I know one is a better blocker then the other, but DG can also catch the ball, so if we're not throwing it his way, he is being under used, the same with Shef.

With Colbert, we are now pretty good on offensive fire power. Not the best but surtainly acceptable.

Getting our starters in the draft really does make more sense, they will come a lot cheaper, and we can develop them for our system. The reason most here are so sceptical is because of the lack of confidence in Mikey's drafting. If he drafts a lot of bust's we are sunk! If he can hit it big, we will be in good shape.

There are also a lot of happy people because we are not over spending in FA. The reason for this is because of all the bust's Mikey has got there the last few years. For me it really doesn't matter if we build through the draft or FA, but which ever way we go, Mikey has to do a good job of bringing in good players. Not just could be good but players that can actualy help our team win.

Beings we are not on the front lines in FA, that leads me to believe mikey is looking to build through the draft. Great! But beings we are not buying any bacon, we have to hope the chickens lay some eggs. Otherwise we go hungry. I hope to god Mikey doesn't get distracted on the way to the coup and sell the hen house for a bag of magical beans...

turftoad
03-02-2008, 03:42 PM
?? :confused: Mediocre? Marshall? Stokley?

Maybe I just have lower standards . . .

-----

Marshalls got one, yep one good year under his belt. He still has much to prove. I like him a bunch but he still has much to prove. Stokley will be 32 in June and has a bad knee that started to flair up at the end of the season. Stokley is also best suited for the #3 slot guy. They sure arent Harrison and Wayne.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Actually, even though he had a 4.6 time at the Combine, Colbert has run the
40 as fast as 4.38. Perhaps more important, he had a pretty quick 10-yard
time at 1.56 and a 4.18 short shuttle. Shows pretty good athleticism, which
was no surprise to me because I saw him own the UA cornerbacks, who
were pretty good, even though UA was otherwise a doormat (both CBs are
expected to be drafted).

Here is the link to my figures: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=58424

What bothers me the most about Colbert is his inconsistency, as shown by
his fluctuation in both his speed times and his undulations in weight, ranging
from 199 to 207. But maybe the Broncos, because they need a good
receiver, can provide the environment where he can attain some stability.
I hope so because I saw a very good receiver in him when he was in college.

Regarding the defense, I don't share the doom and gloom I have sometimes
seen here. The linebackes don't have to be superstars . . . those on the
Pats and Giants aren't, outside Thomas, but the Broncos have Williams, who
will break out this season, whether he is inside or outside (mark my words).

The secondary is strong at the starting positions. They are rich in DEs with
Ekuban and Moss coming back. They need a couple DTs and some safety
depth. And they needed Slowick, IMO, to design the defense around the
personnel instead of the other way around. I think we'll see a marked
reversal this year, a return to the old days of a salty defense.

At least, those are my hopes, but they are well founded, IMO.

-----

Nothing so far that Slow has done anywhere he has played leads me to believe that will happen.. The only thing he has going for him is his DB players like him. But then again the new boss almost always gets praised up front.

topscribe
03-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Marshalls got one, yep one good year under his belt. He still has much to prove. I like him a bunch but he still has much to prove. Stokley will be 32 in June and has a bad knee that started to flair up at the end of the season. Stokley is also best suited for the #3 slot guy. They sure arent Harrison and Wayne.

You're right. They aren't Harrison and Wayne . . . even though Marshall had
20 receptions his rookie year, as opposed to Harrison's 20, and 102
receptions his second year, as opposed to Harrison's 95. Kinda sounds like
Harrison, doesn't it?

I have noooo worries about Marshall. As we write this, he is off to Atlanta,
working out with Cutler and Scheffler. Now, that kind of sounds like Rod Smith,
doesn't it? (You did catch that Cutler and Scheffler are doing it, too, right?)

And Stokley? You have been privy to his double moves, haven't you? Yes,
we need him to stay healthy. But if the Broncos can't find a #2 (which I
believe they will), then they have two terrific receiving threats at TE, in the
persons of Scheffler and Jackson (maybe it now might become obvious as
to why they re-signed Jackson?).

Denver's offense did okay last year, even with the various injuries. If they
have even normal luck this year, they will have many more better players on
the field this year. That means an even better offense.

You may be wringing your hands a bit much, Toad.

IMHO.

-----

topscribe
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Nothing so far that Slow has done anywhere he has played leads me to believe that will happen.. The only thing he has going for him is his DB players like him. But then again the new boss almost always gets praised up front.

True. I'm just going by what he said he would do.

Anything is an improvement over last year, IMO.

-----

turftoad
03-02-2008, 04:03 PM
You're right. They aren't Harrison and Wayne . . . even though Marshall had
20 receptions his rookie year, as opposed to Harrison's 20, and 102
receptions his second year, as opposed to Harrison's 95. Kinda sounds like
Harrison, doesn't it?

I have noooo worries about Marshall. As we write this, he is off to Atlanta,
working out with Cutler and Scheffler. Now, that kind of sounds like Rod Smith,
doesn't it? (You did catch that Cutler and Scheffler are doing it, too, right?)

And Stokley? You have been privy to his double moves, haven't you? Yes,
we need him to stay healthy. But if the Broncos can't find a #2 (which I
believe they will), then they have two terrific receiving threats at TE, in the
persons of Scheffler and Jackson (maybe it now might become obvious as
to why they re-signed Jackson?).

Denver's offense did okay last year, even with the various injuries. If they
have even normal luck this year, they will have many more better players on
the field this year. That means an even better offense.

You may be wringing your hands a bit much, Toad.

IMHO.

-----

Like I said, I'm just dissapointed we have done more at this point to address the issue. The Broncos knew Walker was going to be gone. They have had time. Shanny has already said he needs to limit Stokleys playing time.
I to like Marshall very much. I see him getting better.
As far as the Colbert signing, I was more excited when I heard we re signed Jackson. Sorry.........

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Remember folks Jay did not have a lot of options last year on who to throw to.. Jwalk Martinez Stokely was great in the clutch BUT can't be relied on to make 60+ catches every year..

Face it @WR Jay had ONE option.. The running game left alot to be desired..

Having another experienced WR fixes the problem of hoping that the rookie WR you bring in takes 2-3 years to figure it all out..

Now all he has to learn is the playbook and where the toilet is at Dove valley..

I think he is the best we could afford, and will be a good part of the team..

topscribe
03-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Like I said, I'm just dissapointed we have done more at this point to address the issue. The Broncos knew Walker was going to be gone. They have had time. Shanny has already said he needs to limit Stokleys playing time.
I to like Marshall very much. I see him getting better.
As far as the Colbert signing, I was more excited when I heard we re signed Jackson. Sorry.........

And you may very well be right. (We both hope not, I know.)

We'll see . . .

-----

fcspikeit
03-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Remember folks Jay did not have a lot of options last year on who to throw to.. Jwalk Martinez Stokely was great in the clutch BUT can't be relied on to make 60+ catches every year..

Having another experienced WR fixes the problem of hoping that the rookie WR you bring in takes 2-3 years to figure it all out..

Now all he has to learn is the playbook and where the toilet is at Dove valley..

I agree Jr..

Its funny in a way, so many say we can't count on a rookie to come in and be the #2 right away, Most agree that it will take them 2 to 3 years before they are ready to step up and be a starter on offense. Colbert is a guy who has already gone through the growing pains in the NFL. If everything pans out, he could be ready to hit his stride. Thus putting him ahead of the rookie class coming out this year. It's great we didn't have to give up any of our picks for him too. Now we can address other needs in the draft and build for the future..

topscribe
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM

What the . . .

Are you turning positive? Who am I supposed to argue with now? :frown:

-----

yardog
03-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Just give it a second Top. He forgot to add that MS must be on vacation this week if we made a good signing.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I agree Jr..

It funny in a way, so many say we can't count on a rookie to come in and be the #2 right away, Most agree that it will take them 2 to 3 years before they are ready to step up and be a starter on offense. Colbert is a guy who has already gone through the growing pains in the NFL. If everything pans out, he could be ready to hit his stride. Thus butting him ahead of the rookie class coming out this year. It's great we didn't have to give up any of our picks for him too. Now we can address other needs in the draft and build for the future..

Lets hope this it true.. If he can bring in 40-70 catches with Scheffler an graham getting between 60 and 90 total Stokely will get his 40 or so Marshall can still have a good year if he gets 60-90... Spread the wealth around and they will not wear themselves out in a couple of years.. We need more YAC and TD than we do catches..

That plus 40-60 catches by RB's put Jay at about 300 completions like he had last year..

THE Brandon's had a good year last year, but they were the WRs last year. and had a lot of bodies around them when they did make a catch causing lots of wear and tear..

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
What the . . .

Are you turning positive? Who am I supposed to argue with now? :frown:

-----

As long as we are not discussing mike as the broncomiester. We are OK offensively we do pretty good considering the lack of OLINE consistency.

MY MAJOR issue with mikey is his POOR personnel decisions..

Get a real GM in here and this team will be back to Superbowl years consistently in a couple of years..

Without it we will have huge dead cap money year after year..

Scarface
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Harrison has a bad knee and will be 36 when the season starts.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Harrison has a bad knee and will be 36 when the season starts.

I was just talking about the last few years.

Scarface
03-02-2008, 05:38 PM
The Giants just won the Super Bowl with a receiving corps most wouldn't have given much respect to before last season started.

nj10
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqZNotjRuM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_BX_7df5SM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qheuLA1rbg8

honz
03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
You can make anyone look good in player mixes, but the dude has some skills for sure. I have never watched him play in a game, but he looks like he has good speed, good instincts(going after the ball) and excellent hands...let's see what he can do in Denver.

turftoad
03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
The Giants just won the Super Bowl with a receiving corps most wouldn't have given much respect to before last season started.

Plaxico is awesome, Toomer is a very capable #2 and S. Smith did a fine job down the stretch.

Italianmobstr7
03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Plaxico is awesome, Toomer is a very capable #2 and S. Smith did a fine job down the stretch.

Brandon Marshall is awesome, Stokely can be a very capable #2, and Colbert will do a fine job for us.

Scarface
03-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Brandon Marshall is awesome, Stokely can be a very capable #2, and Colbert will do a fine job for us.

Don't forget Scheffler! :beer:

turftoad
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Stokley can't the #2. He's got a bad Knee. It was flairing up towards the end of last season. Shanny has already said he needs to limit Stokley. He can't physically handle it.

topscribe
03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Stokley can't the #2. He's got a bad Knee. It was flairing up towards the end of last season. Shanny has already said he needs to limit Stokley. He can't physically handle it.

That is correct. Shanny indicated that he has no intention of playing Stokley
full-time. At least, he implied it.

-----

mclark
03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I like this signing. He had a very good rookie season and then seemed to be read out of the picture.

I wanted to draft him. So I'm ok with this signing, definitely.

nj10
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
It's about playing the right role.

Scheffler is our middle of the field man.
Stokely is our clutch 3rd down man. (great route runner)
Marshall is the muscle and size that drives the machine,
and Colbert can play that speed role that Denver has lacked for a while at WR.

Steve Smith had the speed role in Carolina. Colbert has more of a chance to succeed in Denver where his expectations are definite. The problem with alot of speed WRs is their lack of hands. Colbert, however, has very good hands.

frauschieze
03-02-2008, 07:40 PM

Where is Zam when you need him? This conversation needs more talk about 2 TE sets.

Show me the mumbo jumbo!

Nature Boy
03-02-2008, 07:40 PM
7 mil over 3 years isn't exactly cheap for a guy whose never produced.

TXBRONC
03-02-2008, 08:25 PM

I looked back at the stats and Jay had five receivers other than Marshall with 20 plus catches or more. Losing Walker losing Walker hurt tremendously because it changed roles of several players nevertheless the options were there.

Hoshdude7
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Awesome! Now we're Super bowl contenders!

nj10
03-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Awesome! Now we're Super bowl contenders!

Yeah because signing Javon Walker, Daniel Graham, Brandon Stokely, and Travis Henry got us there for sure...The closest we've come in recent years was after we signed the Browncos. Don't knock siging people other than "premiere superstars" to fill team needs.

Hoshdude7
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah because signing Javon Walker, Daniel Graham, Brandon Stokely, and Travis Henry got us there for sure...

Just joking dude. I didn't want any major free agent signings either.:beer:

topscribe
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah because signing Javon Walker, Daniel Graham, Brandon Stokely, and Travis Henry got us there for sure...The closest we've come in recent years was after we signed the Browncos. Don't knock siging people other than "premiere superstars" to fill team needs.

Signing those people immediately improved every one of those positions . . .

-----

nj10
03-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Signing those people immediately improved every one of those positions . . .

-----

Henry didn't do crap and I prefer Scheffler over Graham. I'm just saying that they didn't exactly make us superbowl contenders.

TXBRONC
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM

From what I have read Denver isn't looking to go after any top tier players in free agency this year.

topscribe
03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Henry didn't do crap and I prefer Scheffler over Graham. I'm just saying that they didn't exactly make us superbowl contenders.

No, they obviously didn't make the Broncos Super Bowl contenders since they
were not there on that day.

And I, too, prefer Scheffler over Graham . . . as a receiver. But Scheffler
cannot block anywhere near Graham's level yet. And what did the Broncos
have at RB immediately before Henry's arrival? Does an injury qualify as "didn't
do crap"? Before his injury, Henry was leading the NFL in rushing. That is an
immediate improvement since the Broncos did not have anyone who was
leading the NFL in rushing.

-----

turftoad
03-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Neither will Colbert.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Neither will Colbert.

Nobody is saying he will.

topscribe
03-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Neither will Colbert.

Pity's sake, Toad. Neither you nor I know what kind of receiver Colbert is
going to be, anymore than anyone knew about Marshall when he was taken in
the fourth round, or McCaffrey when he was brought here, or Rod Smith when
he was signed as an undrafted free agent.

-----

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2008, 09:11 PM

Plaxico is awesome but didn't have an awesome year because of bad ankles. But was still very productive, and comparable to Marshall last year. A lot of people would even have given an edge to Marshall last year.

Toomer is an aged veteran, and a great compliment to Burress. I would argue our SWtokley is like their Toomer, but STokley can't stay healthy enough. That is a problem for us. The way we used Scheffler, can make up for Stokley's lack of production in comparison to Toomer. It just sucks we have 2 players to their Toomer, but it isn't the impact WR.

Steve Smith is a young WR who made some key catches down the stretch, but he ran bad routes at times and dropped a lot of balls. Colbert can be jus tlike their Smith.

I would throw in Shockey for the Giants, but considering they played better without him and his 57 catches, it just doesn't matter.

We still need another productive player at the position, but if Cutler keeps progressing, we don't need an all star WR cast. The Giants are a prime example of that.

tubby
03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
As long as he wears number 87 I think he will be our Reggie Wayne. :cool:

TXBRONC
03-02-2008, 09:58 PM

I don't know about that I'll be happy if just becomes a solid and consistent contributor.

shank
03-02-2008, 09:58 PM

if he wears 87, he damned well better do everything in his power to live up to it.

JONtheBRONCO
03-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Marshall
Stokely
Colbert
Martinez
(Enter FA or Rookie)

Scheffler
Graham
Jackson

One more guy and our receiving core will be set.

tubby
03-02-2008, 10:08 PM
if he wears 87, he damned well better do everything in his power to live up to it.

More along the lines of breaking someones face or mastering the meatball sandwich?

shank
03-02-2008, 10:17 PM
More along the lines of breaking someones face or mastering the meatball sandwich?

swing and a miss

nj10
03-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Does an injury qualify as "didn't
do crap"?

-----

I believe it does. By year's end he had how many yards? I'm just telling people not to get pissed because we're filling team needs instead of signing high profile players. I'm saying that high profile players don't guarantee superbowl wins. Unselfish players doing their part and playing their roles...that's how you win.

fcspikeit
03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
It's about playing the right role.

Scheffler is our middle of the field man.
Stokely is our clutch 3rd down man. (great route runner)
Marshall is the muscle and size that drives the machine,
and Colbert can play that speed role that Denver has lacked for a while at WR.

Steve Smith had the speed role in Carolina. Colbert has more of a chance to succeed in Denver where his expectations are definite. The problem with alot of speed WRs is their lack of hands. Colbert, however, has very good hands.

Where are you getting that Colbert is a speed guy? :confused:

He is closer to Eddy Mac then he is to Steve Smith. He is a good rout runner with great hands and he uses his size well in tight coverage to shield defenders from the ball. He is also quick off the line, but he doesn't have good strait line speed. Even in his highlight reels you wont see him running away from anyone. He makes a lot of great catches but that's because he can't get separation on the deep routs....

I like the pick up, I'm just saying, hes not a speed guy...

frauschieze
03-02-2008, 11:43 PM
swing and a miss

Naw....it was definitely a grounder. Not out of the park, but not a strike either.

topscribe
03-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Where are you getting that Colbert is a speed guy? :confused:

He is closer to Eddy Mac then he is to Steve Smith. He is a good rout runner with great hands and he uses his size well in tight coverage to shield defenders from the ball. He is also quick off the line, but he doesn't have good strait line speed. Even in his highlight reels you wont see him running away from anyone. He makes a lot of great catches but that's because he can't get separation on the deep routs....

I like the pick up, I'm just saying, hes not a speed guy...

As I documented in several places . . . well here, look at this:

Draft Scout Snapshot:03/24/04 - Senior wide receiver KEARY COLBERT...
weighed in at 6005, 201 pounds... which was six pounds lighter than at the
Combine... ran between 4.45 and 4.49 in the 40... fastest clock was
4.38... 1.56/1.59 10-yard... 4.18 short shuttle... 6.70 in the
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=58424

Colbert has speed.

-----

Superchop 7
03-03-2008, 12:25 AM

Colbert has speed.

-----

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

What I question is his hands. (remember I said that)

He was great his rookie year, needs a dose of confidence and alot of work with a Juggs machine.

topscribe
03-03-2008, 12:27 AM
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

What I question is his hands. (remember I said that)

He was great his rookie year, needs a dose of confidence and alot of work with a Juggs machine.

?? Hands is a recognized strength of Colbert's, I thought. Go onto Youtube
and see some of his one-handed catches.

-----

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 12:35 AM

Colbert has speed.

-----

Interesting, That is definitely better then the 4.6 I have been hearing. Even at 4.4 he isn't going to set the world on fire with his speed.

What is Marshalls 40 time?

Don't get me wrong I know football speed is differant then track speed. I really like Jordy Nelson and he is a 4.6 guy. He seems a lot faster then that on the field. I'm just saying, Steve Smith is among the fastest in the game.. what was his 40 time do you know?

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I looked back at the stats and Jay had five receivers other than Marshall with 20 plus catches or more. Losing Walker losing Walker hurt tremendously because it changed roles of several players nevertheless the options were there.

I had included some of those numbers in the RB totals.. Martinez if Ir remember had a few.. But it was like 325 total passes received for the year. I was surprised that marshal dropped as many as he did.. Almost 70 if memory serves correct..

Nice to see you back and posting hope everything is good with your family.

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 12:48 AM
I had included some of those numbers in the RB totals.. Martinez if Ir remember had a few.. But it was like 325 total passes received for the year. I was surprised that marshal dropped as many as he did.. Almost 70 if memory serves correct..

Nice to see you back and posting hope everything is good with your family.

Marshall droped 70 passes?

turftoad
03-03-2008, 12:58 AM
So the point here is he can run fast and catch the ball. How can he not be productive. Maybe he's just not that good.

tubby
03-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Naw....it was definitely a grounder. Not out of the park, but not a strike either.

Thanks friend. You know...cause Kircus wore #87 too.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Marshall droped 70 passes?

68 but had 505 YAC 70 1st downs a real stud..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2007/broncos/

BTW the passes received last year.. targeted
BM 102 170
BS 40 71
TS 49 65
JW 26 50
DG 24 33
Young 35 43
Glenn 14 24
hall 2 2
Travis 7 14
chad 5 7
sapp 7 14
nate 3 4
bell 1 1

SO I guess that only TE and RB had more than 20 after all.

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 01:05 AM

BM 102 170
BS 40 71
TS 49 65
JW 26 50
DG 24 33
Young 35 43
Glenn 14 24
hall 2 2
Travis 7 14
chad 5 7
sapp 7 14
nate 3 4
bell 1 1

That does not mean Marshall dropped 68 balls!

All that means is the ball was thrown his way 170 times. How many of those passer didn't even hit him for many reasons?

turftoad
03-03-2008, 01:06 AM

BM 102 170
BS 40 71
TS 49 65
JW 26 50
DG 24 33
Young 35 43
Glenn 14 24
hall 2 2
Travis 7 14
chad 5 7
sapp 7 14
nate 3 4
bell 1 1

Colbert: 32 -69, 332yrds and 0, thats ZERO TD's.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 01:15 AM
That does not mean Marshall dropped 68 balls!

All that means is the ball was thrown his way 170 times. How many of those passer didn't even hit him for many reasons?

He was the target he did not catch them perhaps not the exact same diffenrece but they were his to catch Sorry I did nto use the correct term..

He was tied for 4th in the AFC with 8 dropped balls..

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/passesdropped.html

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 01:22 AM
He was the target he did not catch them perhaps not the exact same diffenrece but they were his to catch Sorry I did nto use the correct term..

He was tied for 4th in the AFC with 8 dropped balls..

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/passesdropped.html

8 sounds about right :D

There are no stats on that link? all it says is AFC, NFC passes dropped, but there is no stats. Is it just me?

I was looking for a place I could find NFL stats that aren't on NFL.COM

atwater27
03-03-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm not going to throw a fit over it. I'd rather have Colbert and a rookie competing for the #2 spot then a selfish ego maniac like Javon Walker crying about being the #1. Cutler will be throwing to Marshall and Scheffler as his top 2 targerts. Stokely will play the slot and catch a lot of 3rd down balls. Whoever wins the #2 job will be getting whatever passes are left over.

Right on. And don't forget we have alot of 2 tight end formations where we can run the ball more as well as throw to Daniel Graham. I imagine if we want to have a ball control, running offense, having Scheff, Graham and Marshall as targets most of the time is a blessing.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 01:44 AM
8 sounds about right :D

There are no stats on that link? all it says is AFC, NFC passes dropped, but there is no stats. Is it just me?

I was looking for a place I could find NFL stats that aren't on NFL.COM

you can look around some of teh other stats are there jsut have to click on the menus on it..

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats.html

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 02:08 AM
you can look around some of teh other stats are there jsut have to click on the menus on it..

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats.html

Thanks..

It must be me. I can't click on the footballs that say "go" I mean I can click on them but nothing happens. My computer probably don't support the spreadsheet format the stats are in...

Thanks anyways :salute: If you know of any other places to get all the stats it would be much appreciated :beer:

Timmy!
03-03-2008, 03:02 AM
I like it. Young guy, good speed, didn't break the bank. It's a pretty smart signing, something we need more of.

Stargazer
03-03-2008, 03:06 AM
?? Hands is a recognized strength of Colbert's, I thought. Go onto Youtube
and see some of his one-handed catches.

-----

After fishing around Panthers message boards... His faults are he cannot catch a ball & cannot get separation. A lot of Panther fans despise him. We'll see.

Remember, this guy had 332 yards and 0 TD's last season. And only 2 TD's since 2004. He did come cheap and I am not expecting much from him.

Stargazer
03-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Got this off a Panthers board.

Positives: Has a great smile and upbeat attitude after every dropped pass. Shows good separation between he and fellow teammates when sitting on the bench. Quick first step to water cooler and locker room at the end of games. Always gets up when he falls, eventually. Reaches top speed immediately due to only having one gear.

Negatives: Being Keary Colbert.

Most compares to: Freddie Mitchell, Philadelphia Eagles - Except worse.

Thought it was funny, even though Denver signed him.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Newest Broncos WR Colbert sees Smith as role model
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Sunday, March 2, 2008

Keary Colbert took in an NBA game during his free-agent visit last weekend.

He also began learning some nuggets from one of his hosts, whose footsteps he would like to follow now that Colbert has joined the Broncos.

"I see myself fitting in as a Rod Smith-type of player. That's my goal," Colbert said Sunday night, hours after agreeing with on a three-year, $7.2 million contract. "I want to play on the same level he did. And if I'm able to do that, everybody will be happy, including myself."

Colbert wants to be known as a multitasker, not just an underneath route runner, deep threat or blocker in the run game.

"I like the word 'complete,' " he said. "I'd like to think I'm capable of doing everything that's asked of me to help the team. I like to play football, make plays and do it all. That's what it's all about."

Colbert had a fast start to his career with Carolina as a second-round pick out of Southern California in 2004 with 47 catches for 754 yards and five touchdowns. But his numbers the past three years combined declined (62-670-2).

Several factors contributed to a statistical downturn.

With a fresh start, he plans to take what he has learned and use it to contribute off the field, an underrated pursuit in his mind, and on, where he has a chance to replace Javon Walker as the starter opposite Brandon Marshall.

"It's a great opportunity," he said. "I'm surrounded by a great group of guys and when you're around a great cast of characters the best comes out in them. It's definitely a good situation for me."

Colbert is the first outside free agent to sign with the Broncos since the period opened Friday, but the team still is shopping.

The Broncos will host safety Marlon McCree (San Diego) and linebacker Boss Bailey (Detroit) on Wednesday and safety Marquand Manuel (Carolina) on Friday.

Linebacker Niko Koutouvides (Seattle) left without a contract, but the sides still are talking.
Subscribe to the Rocky Mountain News

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/02/ekuban-determined-win-back-starting-de-spot/

topscribe
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Got this off a Panthers board.

Positives: Has a great smile and upbeat attitude after every dropped pass. Shows good separation between he and fellow teammates when sitting on the bench. Quick first step to water cooler and locker room at the end of games. Always gets up when he falls, eventually. Reaches top speed immediately due to only having one gear.

Negatives: Being Keary Colbert.

Most compares to: Freddie Mitchell, Philadelphia Eagles - Except worse.

Thought it was funny, even though Denver signed him.

I see. Kind of like how D.J. Williams has been bashed on Denver's boards,
right? Big controversies have raged over players here, too. I'm sure we can
go back and find posts on message boards over just about any player we
have. Hell, there are some in the archives on Mania about what a bum
Cutler is.

BTW, were you aware that Rod Smith dropped a lot of balls in his first year
or two? In fact, I wanted him out of Denver at that time. Aren't you glad I
didn't get my wish?

I would rather get my info from professional analysts. There is a reason
posters on message boards do it for free . . .

On the other hand, some of the professional analysts have commented on
how Colber has struggled. :lol:

-----

turftoad
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Cutler is.

didn't get my wish?

-----

I think there is a legit reason this bashing.

His numbers the past three years combined declined (62-670-2). That is 2, count em two TD's the last three years.
Colbert is not the answer.

topscribe
03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I think there is a legit reason this bashing.

His numbers the past three years combined declined (62-670-2). That is 2, count em two TD's the last three years.
Colbert is not the answer.

Go back and see my post again. I was called away from the computer, so I
saved it w/o entering in the last paragraph, which I just now edited in.

I'm not sticking up for Colbert. I am only trying to take a neutral approach and
say let's see what happens here before we throw him under the bus, that's all.

-----

turftoad
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM

I'm not sticking up for Colbert. I am only trying to take a neutral approach and

-----

Fair enough.

I'm just saying that this signing is nothing, nothing to get even remotely excited about.
This was a VERY WEAK attempt to fill the #2 spot

topscribe
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Fair enough.

I'm just saying that this signing is nothing, nothing to get even remotely excited about.
This was a VERY WEAK attempt to fill the #2 spot

It wouldn't surprise me to see something else happen at the position. The
offseason isn't over by any stretch. My suspicions are that the Broncos had
depth in mind with Colbert. We'll see . . .

-----

Medford Bronco
03-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Lets give him a chance before burying him

as CoachChaz said he thought whatever when the Broncos signed
Ed McCafrey and look how that turned out. Lets at least give him
one season before saying how much he sucks etc

He has had some real stiffs at QB when Dellome was hurt.
David I hold the ball for an hr Carr. Vinnie I need a cane Interceptaverde
and. Some Moor guy that is not a world beater that is for sure.

Cutler is an upgrade over that motley crew listed above.

topscribe
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Newest Broncos WR Colbert sees Smith as role model

By Lee Rasizer (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/staff/lee-rasizer/), Rocky Mountain News

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Keary Colbert took in an NBA game during his free-agent visit last weekend.

He also began learning some nuggets from one of his hosts, whose
footsteps he would like to follow now that Colbert has joined the Broncos.

"I see myself fitting in as a Rod Smith-type of player. That's my goal,"
Colbert said Sunday night, hours after agreeing with on a three-year, $7.2
million contract. "I want to play on the same level he did. And if I'm able to
do that, everybody will be happy, including myself."

Colbert wants to be known as a multitasker, not just an underneath route
runner, deep threat or blocker in the run game.

"I like the word 'complete,' " he said. "I'd like to think I'm capable of doing
everything that's asked of me to help the team. I like to play football, make
plays and do it all. That's what it's all about."

Colbert had a fast start to his career with Carolina as a second-round pick
out of Southern California in 2004 with 47 catches for 754 yards and five
touchdowns. But his numbers the past three years combined declined
(62-670-2).

Several factors contributed to a statistical downturn.

With a fresh start, he plans to take what he has learned and use it to
contribute off the field, an underrated pursuit in his mind, and on, where he
has a chance to replace Javon Walker as the starter opposite Brandon
Marshall.

"It's a great opportunity," he said. "I'm surrounded by a great group of guys
and when you're around a great cast of characters the best comes out in
them. It's definitely a good situation for me."

Colbert is the first outside free agent to sign with the Broncos since the
period opened Friday, but the team still is shopping.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/02/ekuban-determined-win-back-starting-de-spot/

-----

turftoad
03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see something else happen at the position. The
offseason isn't over by any stretch. My suspicions are that the Broncos had
depth in mind with Colbert. We'll see . . .

-----

I think we all hope you're right Top.

topscribe
03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I think we all hope you're right Top.

We're due for a break . . .

-----

mclark
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Lets give him a chance before burying him

as CoachChaz said he thought whatever when the Broncos signed
Ed McCafrey and look how that turned out. Lets at least give him
one season before saying how much he sucks etc

He has had some real stiffs at QB when Dellome was hurt.
David I hold the ball for an hr Carr. Vinnie I need a cane Interceptaverde
and. Some Moor guy that is not a world beater that is for sure.

Cutler is an upgrade over that motley crew listed above.

47 catches as a rookie; 32 catches last year. 32 is 8 catches fewer than Stokeley. He has potential for us. For the most part he's been playing behind Steve Smith in Carolina.

Medford Bronco
03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
47 catches as a rookie; 32 catches last year. 32 is 8 catches fewer than Stokeley. He has potential for us. For the most part he's been playing behind Steve Smith in Carolina.

I am expecting about 40 catches as a 3rd WR

If Stokely can be healthy then he can catch 50 and hopefully this year
Graham can be used a bit more as he is a very good athlete IMO.

The o line needs fixin anyways.:eek: If Cutler is on his ass like the last few games it would not matter if the Broncos signed Randy Moss

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM

And Dwayne Jarrett and Drew Carter.

topscribe
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Interesting, That is definitely better then the 4.6 I have been hearing. Even at 4.4 he isn't going to set the world on fire with his speed.

What is Marshalls 40 time?

Don't get me wrong I know football speed is differant then track speed. I really like Jordy Nelson and he is a 4.6 guy. He seems a lot faster then that on the field. I'm just saying, Steve Smith is among the fastest in the game.. what was his 40 time do you know?

Colbert ran a 4.6 at the Combine. However, he was several pounds heavier at
the time than his playing weight, indicating he might have been a bit out of
shape. But even his pro scouting report, reproduced by Boss in another thread,
conveyed that Colbert seems to play faster on the field.

Regarding Steve Smith, NFL Scout has his time at 4.4. What is amazing,
however, is Smith's time for the 10-yard burst is 1.46. That is like :eek: .

NFL Scout has Marshall's time at 4.52. He seems to play a little faster, too,
doesn't he?

-----

turftoad
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
And Dwayne Jarrett and Drew Carter.

Nothing like unerachieving and becoming a #4 or 5. But lets bring him in as our #2 !!! Great.

HolyDiver
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
If he isn't good enough, we cut him. This does NOT automatically mean he'll be given a roster spot.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
If he isn't good enough, we cut him. This does NOT automatically mean he'll be given a roster spot.

He should be able to make the team.... After all, he doesn't have to beat out great talent. Marshall and Stokely are the only givens at wide out on our team. After that it is a crap shoot. If Colbert can't beat out what we have at wideout then he shouldn't be in the NFL.

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Cutler is.
didn't get my wish?

On the other hand, some of the professional analysts have commented on
how Colbert has struggled. :lol:

-----

Leave me out of this will you!!

I used to trust mikey years ago about his comments about players now I have to see from myself..

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
We're due for a break . . .

-----

I'd personally prefer a different term we had a lot of breaks last year.. good luck comes to mind..

TXBRONC
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM

-----

Maybe Colbert's lack of production at Carolina something to do with their style of offense.

I not saying he's going to come in here and light it up but maybe he will provide quality depth.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
whatever ya need to tell yerself...

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Colbert ran a 4.6 at the Combine. However, he was several pounds heavier at
the time than his playing weight, indicating he might have been a bit out of
shape. But even his pro scouting report, reproduced by Boss in another thread,
conveyed that Colbert seems to play faster on the field.

Regarding Steve Smith, NFL Scout has his time at 4.4. What is amazing,
however, is Smith's time for the 10-yard burst is 1.46. That is like :eek: .

NFL Scout has Marshall's time at 4.52. He seems to play a little faster, too,
doesn't he?

-----

I would have guessed Marshall around 4.5.. Marshall is great at using his body to shield defenders from the ball. But I wouldn't say he is a speed guy. I think he lacks the speed to be a true deep threat. He isn't much faster then Stokely.. In fact, I think Stokely is a little quicker of the line. To me with Marshall what you see is what you get. He is a big receiver with a lot of power who is hard to tackle after catching the ball. But he wont run away from anyone.

TXBRONC
03-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I would have guessed Marshall around 4.5.. Marshall is great at using his body to shield defenders from the ball. But I wouldn't say he is a speed guy. I think he lacks the speed to be a true deep threat. He isn't much faster then Stokely.. In fact, I think Stokely is a little quicker of the line. To me with Marshall what you see is what you get. He is a big receiver with a lot of power who is hard to tackle after catching the ball. But he wont run away from anyone.

FC do you consider T.O. a deep threat?

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM

There are few WR that can indeed flat out run most CB's. SO that is probably a moot point..

Scarface
03-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Running a 4.5 when you're 6'4 230lbs is pretty damn fast.

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
There are few WR that can indeed flat out run most CB's. SO that is probably a moot point..

I didn't say, "But he wont run away from CB's" I said "But he wont run away from anyone" True anyone is a little broad.. I'm talking more about S and LB. At 4.5 you wont out run many S in this league. Some LB's are around 4.5 now days. I bet Marshall couldn't out run Willis from the 9iners..

As for out running CB's, few WR's can outrun CB's. It's more about their burst then pure speed. How quick can they come out of their brakes? If they can get a good jump most times that's all they need to take it all the way. I'm not bashing Marshall.... I really like him, but he is not a legitimate deep thread.

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 08:06 PM
FC do you consider T.O. a deep threat?

Yes T.O is a deep threat. Did you see the play when he out ran Clayton to the end zone to block for him? I don't know what his 40 time is but he can fly!

Your right.. 4.5 is great for his size.. None of that makes him a legitimate deep threat. He needs to work on his double move and that would help but at his size he will never be a burner

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Didn't Jordy Nelson run a 4.5? At the Senior bowl he seemed to out run guys who ran in the 4.4's. Even then, no one would consider him a legitimate deep thread coming out of the draft. More of a possession receiver.

TXBRONC
03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes T.O is a deep threat. Did you see the play when he out ran Clayton to the end zone to block for him? I don't know what his 40 time is but he can fly!

Your right.. 4.5 is great for his size.. None of that makes him a legitimate deep threat. He needs to work on his double move and that would help but at his size he will never be a burner

If I remember correctly T.O.'s 40 time is very similar to that of Marshall.

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
If I remember correctly T.O.'s 40 time is very similar to that of Marshall.

Judging from his size, I would think your probably right. From his size alone you would never think he would be a deep threat. But when you watch him play he is always 5 - 10 yards beyond the coverage. You just don't see that with Marshall. On the 68 yarder last year he made a good move against tight coverage and the defender missed the tackle. Every other time it seems when they throw him the deep ball, the defender is right there, step for step.

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Look at the numbers Terrell put up in Chicago. His first four years in the league he had more receptions, yards, and touchdowns than Colbert did his first four years in the league. Terrell also started 10 less games in those 4 years than Colbert has and played in 2 less games. Oh and if you want to look at development or progress that they've made each year. Colbert had his best year as a rookie whereas Terrell had his best year the last year he was in Chicago. And looking at QB's Colbert had Delhomme whereas Terrell had the likes of Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler, Chad Hutchinson, Craig Krenzel, and Rex Grossman.

Butter it up however you like, but Colbert is simply not that good and there's really little reason to expect him to be good. This was not a good signing especially when you consider we need a #2 WR something Colbert has shown he is incapable of being throughout his career.

Bronco9798
03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Throughout his short career...Remember, he's still a young guy with some potential to do well in a new system.

BeefStew25
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Boss, did we give Colbert a 8 year $102 million deal?

BOSSHOGG30
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Throughout his short career...Remember, he's still a young guy with some potential to do well in a new system.

I know niner. I just can't seem to get over the fact that guys like Hackett and Drew Carter, Henderson, and Johnson were still out there and we sign Colbert. The Broncos must see something in him. I keep telling myself that, but then I get stat happy and his stats are very depressing. :beer:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2008, 10:12 PM
It may very well be his ability/willingness to block and be part of our system. Henderson, although intriguing, may not do what Bronco receivers are asked to do. Hackett is interesting as well...but nboday said we are done in FA. We're just seemingly being more careful. Who knows...maybe we end up w/ BJ or Hackett?

Lonestar
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Someone else posted earlier and then deleted the following . Why they did I do not know as it was spot on.

We need receivers that can move the chains..

Rarely did Rod, Eddie Mac, and Sharpe break them deep they caught the ball and moved the chains. Occasionally someone bit on a double move and there was daylight to take it for a TD..

I'll take that kind of kill the clock wear down the defenses offense every day and three times on Sundays.

ikillz0mbies
03-03-2008, 11:18 PM
It seems like the Bills are aggressively pursuing Johnson. I'd like to have Hackett, he emerged last year and he played collegiately at Colorado.

TXBRONC
03-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Look at the numbers Terrell put up in Chicago. His first four years in the league he had more receptions, yards, and touchdowns than Colbert did his first four years in the league. Terrell also started 10 less games in those 4 years than Colbert has and played in 2 less games. Oh and if you want to look at development or progress that they've made each year. Colbert had his best year as a rookie whereas Terrell had his best year the last year he was in Chicago. And looking at QB's Colbert had Delhomme whereas Terrell had the likes of Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler, Chad Hutchinson, Craig Krenzel, and Rex Grossman.

Butter it up however you like, but Colbert is simply not that good and there's really little reason to expect him to be good. This was not a good signing especially when you consider we need a #2 WR something Colbert has shown he is incapable of being throughout his career.

I'm not one to say yeah he'll be superstar in orange and blue but I am willing to wait and see. Heck he might only be here depth purposes.

Both players have been busts in this League but biggest difference is that we already know Terrell can't cut in Broncos' uniform.

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I say we are about due for a good free agent WR. Rod Smith and Brandon Stokely have pretty much been our only luck at WR.

Who has been the last successful FA here Ed McCaffrey and before that Anthony Miller. Or am I missing someone?

Willie Green
Robert Brooks
Andre Reed
Rob Moore
David Terrell
Mike Sherrard
Jerry Rice

underrated29
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
THEY See somehitng in him, but also its because (im sure everyone is tired of me saying this) we are going to draft Devin Thomas with our 2nd.

Honestly guys, IF/when we take stewart, do you think it will make a huge difference who our #2/#3 is? Marhsll takes the dble team always. Sheff cant be covered by 1 guy so he should most likely be open, stokes OWNS the slot so he should be open, and then stewart is also a great catcher and might then be open in the flats if everyone else is covered. Plus, colbert/martinez etc.

So really unless we get another #1 wr to act as a #2 like javon should have done- i dont see how big a difference it will be if we take stewart. Chances are if we do that the D will stack the box to do everything in their power to stop our crazy ruch attack. Thus,....guess whos open.

Lonestar
03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I say we are about due for a good free agent WR. Rod Smith and Brandon Stokely have pretty much been our only luck at WR.

Who has been the last successful FA here Ed McCaffrey and before that Anthony Miller. Or am I missing someone?

Willie Green
Robert Brooks
Andre Reed
Rob Moore
David Terrell
Mike Sherrard
Jerry Rice

Then Add in all the winners mikey drafted and how many billions have been lost on all the WR's clowns..

2 54 Darius Watts WR Marshall
6 171 Triandos Luke WR Alabama
5 158 Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
1 19 Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
5 144 Herb Haygood WR Michigan State
6 190 Kevin Kasper WR Iowa
3 70 Chris Cole WR Texas A&M
5 154 Muneer Moore WR Richmond
3 93 Travis McGriff WR Florida
7 218 Billy Miller WR USC
1 30 Marcus Nash WR Tennessee
5 159 Patrick Jeffers WR Virginia
7 222 Byron Chamberlain WR Wayne State (Neb.)

dogfish
03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
You can add quiterson to your list somewhere..

Then Add in all the winners mikey drafted and how many billions have been lost on all the WR's clowns..

JR, you listed marcus nash twice-- is it because he was THAT bad?

:lol:

underrated29
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I knew herb, good guy.

wasnt byron chamberlin a TE??? or did dog give me some more peyote?

dogfish
03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I knew herb, good guy.

you're just having a flashback. . . . :elefant:

Lonestar
03-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I knew herb, good guy.

He ate himself into the TE position..

ydave77
03-04-2008, 05:21 PM

You know of the guys there....I will prob get killed for saying this...but a guy like Lelie would be perfect for what we need. A deep burner who stretches the field, keeps the safeties deep, preventing constant double covg on Mars. I mean thats what we need, sometimes I think Lelies biggest curse was his draft position. If he was drafted in the 4th, and did what he did, he wouldnt have been so roundly disparaged. I have no clue what happened to him since he left us....but he has basically fallen off the NFL map. I know we traded him bc he thought he could be the man, and there seems to be something in the WR gatorade that makes them all prima donna's. But if we had a guy who could do what he did for us...that would be perfect.
We already have someone who can catch the ball across the middle with Mars, and for 3rd down conversions we have Mars, Scheff, and Stokely who can all catch the 3 and 7 ball. What we really need now is someone who can stretch the field, and thats all Ashley did.

Commence flaming. :tinfoil3:

fcspikeit
03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
THEY See somehitng in him, but also its because (im sure everyone is tired of me saying this) we are going to draft Devin Thomas with our 2nd.

Honestly guys, IF/when we take stewart, do you think it will make a huge difference who our #2/#3 is? Marhsll takes the dble team always. Sheff cant be covered by 1 guy so he should most likely be open, stokes OWNS the slot so he should be open, and then stewart is also a great catcher and might then be open in the flats if everyone else is covered. Plus, colbert/martinez etc.

So really unless we get another #1 wr to act as a #2 like javon should have done- i dont see how big a difference it will be if we take stewart. Chances are if we do that the D will stack the box to do everything in their power to stop our crazy ruch attack. Thus,....guess whos open.

So you want us to draft a RB with the 1st and a Wr with our 2nd? Or you just feel that is what we will do?

WARHORSE
03-06-2008, 01:21 AM
You know of the guys there....I will prob get killed for saying this...but a guy like Lelie would be perfect for what we need. A deep burner who stretches the field, keeps the safeties deep, preventing constant double covg on Mars. I mean thats what we need, sometimes I think Lelies biggest curse was his draft position. If he was drafted in the 4th, and did what he did, he wouldnt have been so roundly disparaged. I have no clue what happened to him since he left us....but he has basically fallen off the NFL map. I know we traded him bc he thought he could be the man, and there seems to be something in the WR gatorade that makes them all prima donna's. But if we had a guy who could do what he did for us...that would be perfect.
We already have someone who can catch the ball across the middle with Mars, and for 3rd down conversions we have Mars, Scheff, and Stokely who can all catch the 3 and 7 ball. What we really need now is someone who can stretch the field, and thats all Ashley did.

Commence flaming. :tinfoil3:

Youre a smart one. Not to mention the fact that Lelie is not made for Martzs offense. :coffee:

A ringer for a dollar..........better than that, a HUMBLE ringer for a dollar.

turftoad
03-06-2008, 10:31 AM

Now that is one ugly list. WOW

HolyDiver
03-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Now that is one ugly list. WOW

Chamberlin should NOT be on that list.........He was a pretty good TE for us.

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Chamberlain should NOT be on that list.........He was a pretty good TE for us.

But he was indeed drafted as a WR.. Just ballooned up to TE..

With Sharpe on the team at the time I do not think they had targeted him as an instant TE..

broncohead
03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
With Marshall I forgive Shanny

atwater27
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Rod Smith too.

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Rod Smith too.

Rod Smith wasn't drafted by Shanahan.

turftoad
03-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Rod Smith wasn't drafted at all.

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Rod Smith wasn't drafted at all.

Rod was here before shanny so NO CREDIT DUE there..

Italianmobstr7
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Rod was here before shanny so NO CREDIT DUE there..

Rod was here the same year that Shanny was...1995 he was an undrafted free agent, signed by Shanny...

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Rod was here the same year that Shanny was...1995 he was an undrafted free agent, signed by Shanny...

I think your wrong, I'm almost sure he predated mikeys arrival here..

Undrafted after a standout career at Missouri Southern, Smith made the team in 1995 after a season on the practice squad, embarking on a journey that included three trips to the Pro Bowl and two Super Bowl rings. Obviously, Smith shouldn't be on any Fantasy rosters right now.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1220