PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Buff Football

str8jacket
03-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Well its going to be a great year Buff fans! We had a great recruiting class and a team on the rise. In a bit I will put up an analysis of what to look for (I'll even copy and paste my review of the Draft class).

I have to shove off to work, so once I get off I will get it officially started, just thought I'd get the thread up now.

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Grade The Class

Wow, I'm genuinely excited for this class words can't fully describe it.

Main positions of need we handled were:
Offensive line, Tight End, Running Back (And boy did we handle it!?), Defensive Tackle, and Secondary.

Position by Position break down

Offense
Quarterback: B+
Tyler Hansen is becoming one of my favorites from this class. He won Southern Californias All Star Game MVP. He has good mobility, and a rather good arm. One downside with him could be his size.

Running Back: A+
Darrell Scott, Ray Polk, and Rodney Stewart. Stewart most likely will get red shirted, or else he will be our KR/PR. I doubt he see's much playing time due to whats in front of him, he ran a 4.4 forty and there are no videos available of him, so I can't judge him fully. From what I hear, he is shifty, which is a great asset to have for him to have at that position.
Ray Polk, top running back prospect from the state of Arizona a top 15 Running Back. He is obviously no scrub. He is new to football but he has legit speed and is a burner. he had around 1,500 rushing yards his Junior year. He can catch the ball out of the backfield as well.
I see him getting redshirted, so he can get acclimated to the playbook.
Darrell Scott, wow what a roller coaster he put us on, huh? Alright so what should I say about this kid that hasn't already been said? He's compact, runs a 4.4 40 yard dash, ran for about 7000 total yards in his high school career. Huge playmaker and will start from day one. He WILL work for it, but I can't see him NOT starting.

Wide Receiver: B-
Chance Blackmon is a very welcome addition. He is 6'3 and gives us a target in the redzone. Somewhat slow for a Receiver. May get redshirted with the depth we have in front of him. Why the B-? B- isn't bad, but its not great either, Receiver wasnt necessarily a position of need and while Blackmon is a very good get, it wasn't quite the big 6'6 receiver I was hoping for. Oh well, "you can't always get what you want"

Tight End: B+
Ryan Deehan and Ryan Wallace are huge for us. In my opinion Deehan was the best tight end from this class, he has some of the best hands from this class and will make the catch. Not something we were lacking really, but an extra target is always welcome.
Wallace was a late addition for us, he's the same size as Deehan but just a bit lighter. Most likely a redshirt, but who knows. He has pretty good hands, runs good clean routes, and is a student of the game. Could work on his agility and cuts a bit. Could work on blocking a tad (You Tight ends will be doing alllloooot of blocking)

Offensive Line: B+
MTM, Bryce Givens, and Ryan Dannewitz are great gets.
MTM (Tuioti Mariner) will most likely redshirt now that I think about it, but we will see at spring practices. Guy is a mauler, a hell of a blocker and doesnt stop till the end of the whistle. Great depth for the guard position.
Givens, COULD redshirt. he has gained some weight and is up to 257. Would love to see him and Miller on the edges at one point.
Dannewitz, Big dude. Doubt he starts but we'll see. He has great size and strength. Could work on his Run blocking a bit though.

Offensive Grade Overall: A-. The running backs are fantastic and got some great depth. Still sorta missing the Receiver that can make yards after catch but maybe Simas can be that guy? We'll see.....

Defense
Defensive line: C
Still missing a guy that can make plays on the edge but got a great Tackle in Curtis Cunningham. Guy is strong and fills the gap. Plays like a mad man. I could see him redshirting due to the fact that he has Nicholas and Hypolite in front of him, great tutors for him to have.

Linebacker: A
Shaun Mohler, Jon Major, Lynn Katoa, Doug Rippy, Will Pericak.

Mohler will most likely start (my opinion). Pure slobber knocker. Good lateral movement and is very aggressive. Seems to go for the big hit alot, I have questions about his pass coverage since I havent seen alot of it.

Major has fantastic size and speed. Seems to have a tough side to him and shows it on the field. Can hit hard and I hear is an OK pass coverage man. Great instincts and has a chance to start provides he works at it.

Lynn Katoa was one of the biggest gets for us. Originally a 5 star, downgraded after he committed to CU. Switched from OU, To CU, to OU, back to CU and am still glad he is here. Adds great speed and a hard hitter. With his weight and height I could see him playing outside.

Doug Rippy. Great steal from Nebraska. Fantastic tackler, and had 148 tackles his junior year per Rivals. Not much on him other than that. Looks the part of a big time backer, lives up to the name. See him red shirting so he could get more playing time down the road.

Pericak I could see getting moved on the edge of the defensive line. Slow for a linebacker, yet has good strength. Could use his size to his advantage as a DE. Log jam in front of him at LB as well. Great intangibles. We will see how he turns out.

Secondary: B
Added Patrick Mahnke, Stephen Hicks, and Vince Ewing.

Mahnke has the chance to challenge Dykes once he hits campus. Has great size, and alright in pass coverage. Good vision.

Hicks has an even better chance to challenge Dykes. Fantastic speed, Great strength, and has a great vertical.

Ewing is a red shirt I think. Could take Walters' spot once he graduates. Needs to work on his speed and wrap up skills.

Athletes: B
Paul Vigo is a great get. Could play in the secondary, maybe even safety. Can run the ball, but has the size to be a fullback. More on him as soon as i find out what position he will be.

Defensive Overall Grade B
Got some fantastic Linebackers, i have question about Defensive end and Secondary. So We will see. Great speed, maybe could finally stop that damn spread.

Impact Players next post, appreciate any feed back

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Impact Players

First I will discuss impact players from the recruiting class since we were just on the subject.

Offensive Impact Player: Darrell Scott. Not even a question about it. He's going to run the ball alot and get alot of chances behind this young line.

Defensive Impact Player: Stephen Hicks. Is gonna help us in pass defense, which we struggled in as far as with the safeties. Could start immediately.

Special Teams: Rodney Stewart. Could jump start our Kick Returning in a way we havent seen since Jeremy Bloom.

Now, I will go over players that were already on our team.

Offensive Impact Player: I have two. Demetrius Sumler, Running back. Will be a great spell back for Scott (if he wins the spot). Reminds me alot of Chris Brown in his running style.
My second one is, Markques Simas. He was redshirted this past year and could be that guy we need for making YAC.

Defensive Impact Player: Jimmy Smith, cornerback. This guy came up huge at the end of the year and may be our number one guy since Burney will be red shirted. Came on strong, and has good speed. Played great against Nebraska.

Special Teams: Matt DiLallo. Won't have to punt as much, somewhat frustrated me last year with his lack of leg strength but it is getting better. Has good accuracy and could help our defense out alot.

Surprise Players

Offensive Surprises will be...
Sumler, with all this attention on Scott he will come on strong and work harder than ever.
Cody Hawkins, he is the real deal. Although with the size of our line he may have to get phone books attached to his cleats eventually.
Riar Geer. He is a heck of a tight end. Ran into injury problems last year, and if he gets healthy he will get back into the people's minds.

Defensive surprises
Conrad Obi, was red shirted and could be the speed we need at DE.
Brandon Nicholas, underrated at the Tackle position. Helps Hypolite alot.

Schedule and Prediction

Sat, Aug 30 Colorado State at Denver

Sat, Sep 06 EASTERN WASHINGTON BOULDER

Sat, Oct 04 *TEXAS BOULDER

Sat, Oct 11 *Kansas at Lawrence, Kan.

Sat, Oct 18 *KANSAS STATE BOULDER

Sat, Oct 25 *Missouri at Columbia, Mo.

Sat, Nov 01 *Texas A&M at College Station, Texas

Sat, Nov 08 *IOWA STATE BOULDER

Sat, Nov 15 *OKLAHOMA STATE BOULDER

Fri, Nov 28 *Nebraska at LINCOLN
CSU will play us tough for sure. We will have to contain Bell and run our horses early and often. I see it as a win.

Eastern Washington. Last years Miami Ohio. We mauled em and it should give us a good chance to get a rhythm going on offense leading up to the Texas Game. Win.

Texas. This is where it gets tough. Its 50/50 for us. It depends on how our offense looks, it will most likely be a shoot out. As much as I hate to say it now (off the Kool-Aid) it will be a close loss.

Kansas. Time to find out if this team is for real. We played this game very close last year and didnt have the horse power to pull through. Aqib Talib is gone, I say Win. We have the Horse Power now.

Kansas State. The land of the JUCOS. We got walloped last year in Manhattan and I'm not sure if it will be the same. Our special teams and defense killed us. Running game was non existent. I say win, again. (call me a homer by now, its cool)

Mizzou. Toughest game of the year. These guys killed us and I think they will do it again sadly. They dominated every aspect of the game. Loss.

Texas A&M. College Station is very tough to play in, and if anything showed you last year, we are pretty good playing out of the state. Sadly, the Aggies are a different animal than that of Texas Tech. Loss.

Iowa State. How in the hell did we lose this last year? Blythe. Thats how. nbow that he is gone, and we have some power on offense with a dominating defense. We win. Boulder doesnt hurt either.

Oklahoma State. Havent played these guys in awhile, and its Zac Robinsons home coming. We have to contain him since he can run the ball pretty well. It will be Kendall Hunters first year starting as the feature back and he has small size. Could have trouble against him. Bryant and Pettigrew will need to be locked down on the receiving end. If we can do this. Win.

Nebraska. Oh man this will be crazy. We played them well last year and the only real reason they scored as much as they did was because of the Prevent defense and we slowed it up a bit on offense. I say win. We have only gotten better, and they are relatively the same team, plus a few freshman.

Overall, 7-3 (The WVU Game and another is gone from our schedule?). Maybe a bit homeristic. But I tried thinking as realistically as I could. try asking me after the spring game after I see this team in action.

Break Down of Playcalling and style, along with defensive outlook

Offense: We will pound the rock. No doubt about it. We have a hybrid spread going right now and Scott is a huge impact. Our line will only be better.

I see Play calling going 60% Running, 40% Passing. Hawkins will make a mistake here and there.

Our big play wide receiver will be Josh Smith.
Clutch Guys most likely Geer and McKnight.
And our YAC guy will be Simas.

Defensive looks to be much better. I need to see the starters first before I know anything more.

I see us giving up the big play once in awhile down the field. But I do see us being VERY solid on Run defense as usual. Secondary is a huge question, and it will only be worse if we cant get pressure

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Depth Chart

Offense

Quarterback: Cody Hawkins with Ballenger backing up. If you go to the spring game, WATCH HIM. He has a cannon and could challenge for the spot regardless of if you think Hawk will play favorites.

Running Back: Scott, Sumler, Lockridge

Full Back: Jake Behrens possibly Paul Vigo

Tight End: Riar geer and Ryan Deehan

Wide Receiver: Josh Smith, Scotty Mcknight, and Markques Simas

Left Tackle: Sione Tau. This guy looks like a Hawaiian Ryan Miller. Totally forgot about him, his redshirt year did him alot of good. A freshman will challenge here and thats Dannewitz

Left Guard: It depends on how Tuoti-Mariner pans out. Devin Head, I think will start

Center: I have questions about this position because of how many botched snaps out of the shotgun we had on the delivery. Daniel Sanders will start but he MUST work on this.

Right Guard: Kai Maiava. Showed alot of promise

Right Tackle: Ryan Miller, this guy is good. once he got a hang of it all towards the end last year he was excellent. Had problems against Bama but he was a freshman and has never seen that kind of speed.

Kicker: Jameson Davis

Defense

Right end: Conrad Obi. He should impress with how he red shirted and fell off of alot of peoples radars.

Defensive Tackles: George Hypolite, Brandon Nicholas

Left End: Maurice Lucas. Showed some flash at times, hope to see more of it. Possibly Pericak?

Line backer. My god this is hard to predict

I thought this,
OLB: Shaun Mohler, Jeff Smart
MLB: Michael Sipili, Jon Major*
OLB: Brad Jones, Lynn Katoa*
would work, it would just all depend on what kind of offense we're going against and how we need to defend it. Your guess is as good as mine.

Secondary....
CB: Jimmy Smith, Gardner McKay
FS: Ryan Walters
SS: Dykes, Hicks, Mahnke. Depends on who is better in coverage.

Punter: Matt DiLallo

Returners: Hicks and Stewart.

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
If demand is high enough I will go ahead and put up prospects for 09 at some point today. :shocked:

MOtorboat
03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
You won't be able to tell too much about the freshmen at the Spring Game, as a number of them won't play. I don't know who's enrolled yet, maybe you have that list, but I don't think Polk or Scott are, and I don't think any of the linebackers are either. They'll be there, most likely, but won't play because they aren't enrolled.

Overall, 7-3 (The WVU Game and another is gone from our schedule?). Maybe a bit homeristic. But I tried thinking as realistically as I could. try asking me after the spring game after I see this team in action.

According to the official site, Florida State and West Virginia are still on the schedule:
http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&KEY=&SPID=255&SPSID=3850

With that said, 7-5 is an attainable goal for this team. Like to see 8-4, but the Big 12 North is very solid this year. The only real sure win in the North in my eyes is Iowa State. We could lose any of the other four games.

Buff
03-02-2008, 02:09 PM
A few things:

LB Lynn Katoa and the Kicker from Idaho who's name escapes me are the only 2 notable players from this year's recruiting class that are enrolled right now... I'd expect to see them both at the spring game.

QB Ballenger has alot of upside, but there was a chat this week with Daily Camera CU Beat Writer Kyle Ringo and I asked him if anyone was going to pose a legitimit threat to Hawk-- He was saying that Hawkins is actually more mobile than Ballenger (which is scary to think about, because Cody's not very mobile)... So he see's little Hawk as the #1 going into the fall... I have my own gripes about that, but I digress.

The lineman Tuoti-Mariner was going to be a highly recruited dude if he wouldn't have torn up his knee, so he could end up being a big steal if he can recover.

Miller will probably make the switch to LT. Needs to improve his footwork and quickness... He's got the strength, but was beaten to the edge a few too many times last year.

That's all i've got for now...

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
You won't be able to tell too much about the freshmen at the Spring Game, as a number of them won't play. I don't know who's enrolled yet, maybe you have that list, but I don't think Polk or Scott are, and I don't think any of the linebackers are either. They'll be there, most likely, but won't play because they aren't enrolled.

According to the official site, Florida State and West Virginia are still on the schedule:
http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&KEY=&SPID=255&SPSID=3850

With that said, 7-5 is an attainable goal for this team. Like to see 8-4, but the Big 12 North is very solid this year. The only real sure win in the North in my eyes is Iowa State. We could lose any of the other four games.

I basically copied and pasted my entire analysis from a month ago :woot:

By the time the spring game rolls around I should at least have a better idea of who is redshirting

MOtorboat
03-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I basically copied and pasted my entire analysis from a month ago :woot:

By the time the spring game rolls around I should at least have a better idea of who is redshirting

How...based on other performances at the position? Like Buff said, only two of the freshmen can even participate.

BroncoJoe
03-02-2008, 04:11 PM
CU will go undefeated and win the National Championship this year.

str8jacket
03-02-2008, 04:15 PM
How...based on other performances at the position? Like Buff said, only two of the freshmen can even participate.

Basically, it can tell you alot really. If one of the current RBs don't do well now, you can possibly expect to see Polk not redshirting.

It was the same way last year :beer:

MOtorboat
03-02-2008, 04:29 PM
CU will go undefeated and win the National Championship this year.

:elefant::elefant::beer::beer:

Bronco9798
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
T Tech taking a thumping tonight against Kansas...

Slick
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Tagging this thread because I'm an isolated CU fan. I'll preemptively thank any and everyone who contributes to this thread.

MOtorboat
03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
T Tech taking a thumping tonight against Kansas...

Wrong thread. The back medication messin with ya?

str8jacket
03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Tagging this thread because I'm an isolated CU fan. I'll preemptively thank any and everyone who contributes to this thread.

:beer:

Glad to keep ya in the know. I'll have some new posts up in a couple days.

str8jacket
03-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Kai Maiava has been moved to Full Back.

Some of you may know I brought this up as a possibility over on Broncomania. Well, it is a reality now. I form and Split back sets are gonna devastate people this year.

Broncospsycho77
03-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty stoked for this upcoming season. First time in a while, especially with the recruiting class. Gotta say, I didn't catch many CU games after the CSU rivalry game, and was forced to watch many of them from ESPN Gamechannel... hopefully the Buffs will get some press in the upcoming season and I can get a national broadcast to watch...

Buff
03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Kai Maiava has been moved to Full Back.

Some of you may know I brought this up as a possibility over on Broncomania. Well, it is a reality now. I form and Split back sets are gonna devastate people this year.

I'm interested to see how the big fella will be able to move coming out of the backfield... I don't expect him to carry the ball too often since he is a career lineman, but obviously we're not moving him there to carry the ball, we're moving him there to knock people the **** out.

I guess he's down to 280 from 300 and looks to shed 10-15 more pounds... Still, a 270 lb FB is a big boy... On the other hand, this move shows you what kind of depth we've got at OL just a year removed from barely having enough guys for a spring game. Plus, as one of the coaches was saying-- it'll be easier for him to operate not having to take on 300 lb Defensive tackles who have 4-5 inches on him. That wingspan is a big deal in the trenches...

I'm going to post Ringo's blog on the QB situation just because it was well written and thorough...

Slick-- You need to bookmark Dailycamera.com-- Their Buff football coverage is pretty good.

Buff
03-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Colorado coaches are switching things up to a degree this spring when it comes to evaluating their quarterbacks. Only one of the three signal-callers on the spring roster has any real Division I game experience, but offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich said that gives Cody Hawkins only a slight advantage over Nick Nelson and Matt Ballenger when drills begin March 17.

Helfrich acknowledged he doesn't like the idea of heading into his third season in Boulder in 2008 with his third different starting quarterback (Hawkins in 2007 and James Cox/Bernard Jackson in 2006), but what he likes even less is the idea of handing someone the starting job simply because they are more experienced than others.

Cody Hawkins started all 13 games for the Buffs in 2007. Nick Nelson hardly played enough to for anyone to get a real sense of what he might be capable of doing if he was in for a significant number of snaps. And Matt Ballenger was a true freshman who redshirted last year.

All three have different skill sets, though none of the three is a particularly dangerous threat to run the ball. Still, Helfrich said they are different enough from one another that coaches feel they need to be a little more open-minded this spring and evaluate each quarterback based on how well he does what he does best.

“We’re going to play the best guy, and we’re going to put those guys all in — it’s not like we’re going to completely change the offense — but we’re going to put some things in based on each of those guys’ strengths," Helfrich said. "Everyone is going to certainly have a shot. We’re going to do some things with Matt that we won’t do with Cody and that we wouldn’t do with Nick and vice versa. We’ve got to do a good job of giving those guys a shot, and they’ve got to do a good job of making this a difficult decision for the right reasons.”

Look for the offense to be a little more conservative in the mold of the West Coast style system when Hawkins and Nelson are under center. Short pass routes, passes to tight ends and running backs, etc.

Things should open up a bit, particularly in the passing game, with Ballenger under center. Ballanger has the big arm of the three and is more likely to have success hitting deeper pass routes. That doesn't mean that's all he will do as a passer, but if there is one area in which Ballenger holds an advantage over his competition, it is being able to stand in the pocket at 6-foot-5 and see the field and get the ball to receivers with his arm strength.

Hawkins threw for 2,693 yards in 12 regular season games last year. CU does not include bowl statistics in its official stats. Hawkins also threw for 19 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. Not bad for a freshman, but other freshmen have been better.

The biggest criticism of Hawkins was his interception rate. He cut down on them as the season went on, throwing just one in the final four games, but Helfrich said the entire offense needs to do a better job taking care of the ball in the third year in the system. Nobody more so than the quarterback, who touches the ball on nearly every play.

"We turned it over way too many times last year that were preventable," Helfrich said. "It wasn’t even really a deal with bad ball security or a physical deal. It was more so mental, whether it was forcing the ball when we shouldn’t have or trying to do something with the ball we shouldn’t do. So we’ll just really be drilling that part in then."

Another criticism of Hawkins was his inability to make plays with his feet if a play broke down and he was forced to scramble. He ran the ball a total of 40 times with a net gain of minus-11 yards. Before losses from sacks are factored in, Hawkins still only gained 89 yards. He won't remind anyone of Missouri's Chase Daniel or Kansas' Todd Reesing, though he is very similar in size and stature to those players.

But when it comes to mobility, one CU assistant coach recently said Hawkins is easily the fastest of CU's three quarterbacks.

Helfrich said Hawkins was clearly the best option at quarterback for the program going into last season, and he remained the best option throughout the year right up through the bowl game in late December. So what do Nelson and Ballenger have to do to overtake Hawkins now, especially given their limited experience?

Helfrich said they have to play with confidence first, which means knowing the playbook. They have to execute at a high level on a consistent basis and demonstrate an ability to lead the team to points.

But he emphasized that the gap between the three quarterbacks is not an ocean as it once was.

"There is certainly nothing insurmountable, whether it’s knowledge base or performance advantage, that he has over those other guys," he said. “Probably a little bit just from the experience standpoint of he’s seen some of these things before, but we didn’t do a lot of things just because of certain things that Cody had a strength or a weakness in.

"And that’s kind of what I mean when I say we’re going to put Matt in some different situations that we’re not going to put Cody in and vice versa. Then hopefully at the end of the day, we’ve got three efficient guys that are all good at their deal without changing it for everybody else. Our offense is versatile enough to do that. I’m sure there is a little bit of an advantage of just snaps. By the same token a guy like Matt Ballenger has probably gotten some false sense of security by playing on the scout team and built some confidence that way, which is good. That’s a good thing. He’s just got to play and compete and see where that takes him.”

It's also important to keep in mind that whatever happens in spring practices won't make or break any player's chances of earning playing time in the fall. No one is going to win or lose the starting job in 15 practices more than four months before the season begins. As CU fans should know by now, this coaching staff is big on competition and players earning their playing time from week to week.

Hawkins had the advantage of having been in the program for a year at this time a year ago when Nelson was just breaking in at CU. Ballenger didn't arrive until training camp. It's entirely possible that one of those players could make up ground on Hawkins this year and maybe even overtake him.

dailycamera.com -- Kyle Ringo

I would love to see Ballenger push Hawkins for the job... In the end, I think Hawk will win out because he's got the experience and he knows the playbook so well-- but I just hate a guy with a 5'11 frame, a mediocre arm, and no mobility at the healm regardless of how "heady" he is.

Slick
03-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm interested to see how the big fella will be able to move coming out of the backfield... I don't expect him to carry the ball too often since he is a career lineman, but obviously we're not moving him there to carry the ball, we're moving him there to knock people the **** out.

I guess he's down to 280 from 300 and looks to shed 10-15 more pounds... Still, a 270 lb FB is a big boy... On the other hand, this move shows you what kind of depth we've got at OL just a year removed from barely having enough guys for a spring game. Plus, as one of the coaches was saying-- it'll be easier for him to operate not having to take on 300 lb Defensive tackles who have 4-5 inches on him. That wingspan is a big deal in the trenches...

I'm going to post Ringo's blog on the QB situation just because it was well written and thorough...

Slick-- You need to bookmark Dailycamera.com-- Their Buff football coverage is pretty good.

Thanks Buff. I'm on it.

str8jacket
03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I would love to see Ballenger push Hawkins for the job... In the end, I think Hawk will win out because he's got the experience and he knows the playbook so well-- but I just hate a guy with a 5'11 frame, a mediocre arm, and no mobility at the healm regardless of how "heady" he is.

I hate Ringo with a passion. It seems like he has no idea what he's talking about sometimes. He even wrote an article claiming Nolan Brewster was going to Minnesota to play for his dad when, at the time he was committed to Texas:tsk:

str8jacket
03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Here's some surprising news, at his own will Polk quit the Hurdles this year for track and decided he's going to condition for football.

Kid wants to compete, thats for sure.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/articles/0304hsnb.html

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Top Ten Players To Watch At Spring Practices.

Alright So I stole the subject a bit from Rivals but I will be putting my own list as opposed to just regurgitating it.

Jimmy Smith. We lost Terrence Wheatley and Ben Burney (he's getting redshirted). And someone has to step up. Jimmy was pretty quiet in the first half of the year but showed flashes of brilliance towards the end. (The Pick against NU is the first that comes to mind). With as many questions as I have about secondary, many of them will be answered by Jimmy this spring.

Markques Simas. He could be the jolt we need at the number 2 wide receiver slot. Josh Smith is in my opinion, our number 1, and McKnight reminds me alot of a ideal slot. We need Simas to show up in a huge way this year.

Michael Sipili. Pretty self explanatory here, he wasnt able to play last year due to being suspended and he missed valuable time. He is a Vet. (Somewhat) LB we need on the field to lead.

Matt Ballenger. Why? I think he will challenge Hawkins, bias or not towards his own son, Dan will get the best player on the field, and if he feels Ballenger provides more spark, he will put him on. Ballenger has a cannon and great size.

Erick Faatagi. Missed the past 2 years due to ineligibility and injuries. Plays mean and could be a great guard for us.

Riar Geer. Injuries hampered him much of last year and is a HUGE target for us in the red zone. We need him to be healthy because of his athletisicm. He can make yards after the catch and has sure hands. My brother loves this kid (met him and loves the way he presents himself). I would love to see him healthy, but only time will tell, was a huge part of our offense his 2 first seasons with us.

Kai Maiava. He will be the largest full back in the Big XII. Many people disagree with the move, but I personally love it. I think he will be a great asset with the new horses we have in the backfield. He's alot faster than people give him credit for.

Conrad Obi. He could give us the pressure we desperately need on the edge as a pass rusher. He will surprise alot of people, I just hope the surprise is good :D

Lynn Katoa. Will he be as good as advertised? I've heard from various people that he will be our best LB, while I'm more in favor of Jeff Smart or Sipili due to experience. Katoa plays mean, which we could use.

Brandon Nicholas. The "other" DT. Played VERY solid this year, next to a fantastic DT in Hypolite (Rabid Goldfish). I think he will be even better than ever, and these two (him and Hypolite) will be great tutors for Cunningham and Kaufusi (If he gets in, he has 3 weeks).

Comments? Concerns? Or is there someone you think will make an even bigger impact? Let me know! I just did the 10 that stood out to me.

MOtorboat
03-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Is Katoa enrolled?

BroncoJoe
03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd take one of them off and put Darrell Scott on that list, probably #1. Every one will be watching him come spring practice.

Unless this list was supposed to be "surprise" players...

MOtorboat
03-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd take one of them off and put Darrell Scott on that list, probably #1. Every one will be watching him come spring practice.

Unless this list was supposed to be "surprise" players...

Darrell Scott is an incoming freshmen who has not enrolled. The only thing he'll be doing at the Spring Game is hanging out with fellow recruits, hitting on girls and signing autographs.

BroncoJoe
03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Darrell Scott is an incoming freshmen who has not enrolled. The only thing he'll be doing at the Spring Game is hanging out with fellow recruits, hitting on girls and signing autographs.

Oh yeah. Duh.

Watchthemiddle
03-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Top Ten Players To Watch At Spring Practices.

Alright So I stole the subject a bit from Rivals but I will be putting my own list as opposed to just regurgitating it.

Jimmy Smith. We lost Terrence Wheatley and Ben Burney (he's getting redshirted). And someone has to step up. Jimmy was pretty quiet in the first half of the year but showed flashes of brilliance towards the end. (The Pick against NU is the first that comes to mind). With as many questions as I have about secondary, many of them will be answered by Jimmy this spring.

Markques Simas. He could be the jolt we need at the number 2 wide receiver slot. Josh Smith is in my opinion, our number 1, and McKnight reminds me alot of a ideal slot. We need Simas to show up in a huge way this year.

Michael Sipili. Pretty self explanatory here, he wasnt able to play last year due to being suspended and he missed valuable time. He is a Vet. (Somewhat) LB we need on the field to lead.

Matt Ballenger. Why? I think he will challenge Hawkins, bias or not towards his own son, Dan will get the best player on the field, and if he feels Ballenger provides more spark, he will put him on. Ballenger has a cannon and great size.

Erick Faatagi. Missed the past 2 years due to ineligibility and injuries. Plays mean and could be a great guard for us.

Riar Geer. Injuries hampered him much of last year and is a HUGE target for us in the red zone. We need him to be healthy because of his athletisicm. He can make yards after the catch and has sure hands. My brother loves this kid (met him and loves the way he presents himself). I would love to see him healthy, but only time will tell, was a huge part of our offense his 2 first seasons with us.

Kai Maiava. He will be the largest full back in the Big XII. Many people disagree with the move, but I personally love it. I think he will be a great asset with the new horses we have in the backfield. He's alot faster than people give him credit for.

Conrad Obi. He could give us the pressure we desperately need on the edge as a pass rusher. He will surprise alot of people, I just hope the surprise is good :D

Lynn Katoa. Will he be as good as advertised? I've heard from various people that he will be our best LB, while I'm more in favor of Jeff Smart or Sipili due to experience. Katoa plays mean, which we could use.

Brandon Nicholas. The "other" DT. Played VERY solid this year, next to a fantastic DT in Hypolite (Rabid Goldfish). I think he will be even better than ever, and these two (him and Hypolite) will be great tutors for Cunningham and Kaufusi (If he gets in, he has 3 weeks).

Comments? Concerns? Or is there someone you think will make an even bigger impact? Let me know! I just did the 10 that stood out to me.

Josh Smith.

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Is Katoa enrolled?
Yes.

Josh Smith.

I hope he doesnt bust his spleen again :eek:

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Lynn Katoa was arrested.

Shit.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/mar/14/cu-football-player-arrested-assault-charges/

MOtorboat
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
:tsk:

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
:tsk:

This is terrible news to come home to, what really surprised me was the fact that in all the interviews I've seen of him, he seemed like a character guy. Well at least we have some decent depth, not sure how long the suspension will be for.

MOtorboat
03-14-2008, 04:36 PM
This is terrible news to come home to, what really surprised me was the fact that in all the interviews I've seen of him, he seemed like a character guy. Well at least we have some decent depth, not sure how long the suspension will be for.

Ah, who knows...this happens to all sorts of guys...

It's still most likely nothing serious, as in jail time. He may get suspended by the team for the first game, but I wouldn't imagine much more. Sure, disappointing, but I doubt this gets him kicked off or anything like that.

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Ah, who knows...this happens to all sorts of guys...

It's still most likely nothing serious, as in jail time. He may get suspended by the team for the first game, but I wouldn't imagine much more. Sure, disappointing, but I doubt this gets him kicked off or anything like that.

Sipilis suspension was for a year and the incident was much of the same (beating someones head in)

Watchthemiddle
03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I will let it play out..

If it is true, he just needs to funnel that aggression onto the football field.

str8jacket
03-16-2008, 02:18 PM
What the hell is going on in Boulder

Riar Geer was arrested now!

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/mar/15/second-cu-football-player-arrested/

Buff
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, we'll most likely lose both to suspension for the entire season... Katoa's doesn't hurt as much because we'll be getting Sipili back, Brad Jones and Smart are both solid, plus we have Jon Major the other 5 Star Linebacker from Ponderosa coming in... So we're set at LB, and Katoa might not have started this year anyway. Though the one thing I'm not sure of is whether a suspension counts against eligibility or if they can still redshirt...

Geer hurts a little more IMO because he was slated to be the #1 guy this year. And the details of his case sound a little more damning. He was hurt off and on last year, so he didn't live up to expectations... But we saw his ability as a freshman. The silver lining their is that we have 3 TE's in the incoming class, and they are 6'4", 6'5", and 6'6".

str8jacket
03-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Updated 2009 Recruit List

Once again, * means they have been offered.

Pro Style QB
Josh Nunes (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=66077) 4 Star*

Eric Anderson (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69673) Not Rated

Allan Bridgford (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69650) Not Rated

Chris Campbell (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77250) Not Rated

Landon Greve (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68578) Not Rated

Ted Landers (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78858) Not Rated

Patrick Nicely (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78556) Not Rated

Jordan Roberts (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=60678) Not Rated

Sean Schroeder (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68388) Not Rated

Jerry Slota (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69787) Not Rated

Jordan Wynn (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=73417) Not Rated

Dual Threat QB

Alex Drexler (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71060) Not Rated

Clark Evans (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69915) Not Rated (Still Want him)*

Jordan Lynch (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78451) Not Rated

Sorry, don't feel like doing running backs :eek:

Wide Receivers

Keenan Davis (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=60870) 4 Star*

Shaquelle Evans (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71446) 4 star*

Kendall Kelly (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72570) 4 star*

Bryce McNeal (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69184) 4 star*

Kyle Van Noy (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=67328) 4 star*

Caleve Deboskie (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=67365) Not Rated

Dillon Goltl (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=62968) Not Rated

Kendall Gregory-McGhee (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79630) Not Rated

Adam Hall (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=74460) Not Rated*

Rico Mack (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79534) NR

Ricky Marvray (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78449) NR

Byron Moore (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77356) NR

Josh Norton (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=64560) NR

Andrew Opoku (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=70849) NR

Billy Ray Stutzmann (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79829) NR

Tight Ends

Jack Baucus (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78450) NR

Brian Wozniak (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=74676) NR

So out of this group, who do I want?

QB: Josh Nunes or Clark Evans

One of these QBs will give us a stud, Nunes is sharp and a great decision maker. Evans can move, and throw the ball very well. Has a great arm. Would love to see either of these in Black and Gold

WR: Kendall Kelly, Kyle Van Noy, Andrew Opoku, Shaquelle Evans, or Adam Hall

I tried relatively hard to make it known that I wanted a large WR in this last class, unfortunately we did not get that, and at first I wasn't all that bothered since we still had Geer. I don't think Geer will be gone for the year, personally. His incident is the worse of the two between Katoa and himself. I still see this as a need. Shaq isn't quite as tall but damn the boy can go get it. Gimme!

TE: Either or really, Roughly same size.
No videos for me to watch so.....:D

Offensive Line

Offensive Tackle

Michael Philipp (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=73678) 4 star*

Jeremiah Sirles (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71000) 4 star*- I will admit I am surprised at the 4 star, I figured him a 3.

Xavier Su'a Filo (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=74039) 4 star*

Daniel Mafoe (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=63514) NR*

Jake Baratz (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=76547) NR

Colby Duranleau (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=76251) NR

Jack Harris (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=73929) NR*

Kody Koebensky (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78607) NR

Cody Sanders (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=62552) NR

Mitchell Stroehlein (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78372) NR

Doug Zismann (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=67644) NR

Offensive Guard

Terry Bell (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=76778) NR

Courtney Easterwood (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71983) NR

Jeff Hartung (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72331) NR

Rio mares (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=80175) NR

Center

Mark Brazinski (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=54430) 4 Star

Out of this group, I would like Sirles and Harris first and foremost. Gotta keep these in state kids here, Brazinski would be a welcome addition but quite frankly I'm not too worried about the line at this point and time. We have plenty of young depth and young starters as it is, the loss of Kai on the line will most likely hurt, but his presence will be felt with him at full back.

str8jacket
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Defensive Line

Weakside DE

Nick Kasa (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69963) 4 star* Have to say, this is surprising, figured him a 5 for sure.

Anthony Battle (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79228) NR

Kirby Ennis (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68939) NR*

Ian Knight (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=76386) NR

Jackson Powell (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=73621) NR

Strongside DE

Devon Kennard (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=59812) 5 Star*

Justin Jungblut (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=80681) NR

Gabriel Mass (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=73920)

Trent Murphy (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78116) NR*

Defensive Tackle

Corey Adams (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=65703) 4 Star

Deandre Coleman (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71438) 4 star

Corey Gaines (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=56682) 4 star*

Edward Nuckols (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78227) 4 star*

Quinn Anthony (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69890) NR

John Brewer (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78466) NR

Richard Buckland (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68479)

Quayshawn Buckley (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77457) NR

Tyrone Ezell (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=64434) NR

Out of this group, who do I want.

It should be pretty obvious.

Kasa, Kennard (Doubtful, but hey), Trent Murphy (Hawk has seen him play. How you ask? He goes to the same school as Polk.), Nuckols (Big dude, has high interest in us), and I hope we get in on Adams (havent offered a schollie only school on his list who hasnt...odd)

Middle Linebackers

Manti Te'o (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69245) 5 star*

Trevor Erno (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=76302) 4 star*

Jaydan Bird (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68282) NR

Raymond Cottman (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78131) NR

Nate Dreiling (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78104) NR

Jack Fischer (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69816) NR*

Darius Moffett (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71454) NR

Ryan Polson (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68080) NR

Shawn Reed (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79285) NR

Outside backer

Nick Bruce (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77579) NR

Javen Harris (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71848) NR

Mike Tree (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=73358) NR

Cornerbacks

Devin Jackson (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77268) NR

Mitch Olson (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=77458) NR

Sheldon Price (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=80033)

Abdul Smith (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=70706) NR*

Curry Williams (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72754) NR

Safties

Dimitrius Carr (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71937) NR

Nathan Fellner (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=75918) NR

Roderick Goodlow (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69858) NR

Josh Johns (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79341) NR

Alex Logan (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69512) NR

Alex Mascarenas (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=69652) NR*

Parker Orms (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72245) NR

Colton Richardson (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=57917) NR

Dorian Roberts (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=76244) NR

Benjamin Soza (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=65280) NR

Athlete

Steven Baker (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=64874) NR

Kicker

Max Oldham (http://colorado.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78192) NR

Ok so who out of this post do I want?

Linebacker: Obviously, Manti Te'o. I posted about him awhile back saying he had early interest and we still do. I personally think Katoa may not be back with the team. Beating a kids face with a rock is pretty serious (allegedly )

Secondary: Devin Jackson and Abdul smith at corner. We need speed and they have early interest. We are hurting, need to look into higher "Caliber" players in my opinion. Not that these guys are scrubs...we could just use a big name. here's to hoping Jimmy Smith is a beast :D

Safeties: Parker Orms of course. Great speed. Fantastic speed actually. Best official 40 time out of anybody we are looking at in the secondary. Guy can hit too.

Athletes: Surprise surprise? Steven Baker! He can play Safety or Linebacker. Never can get enough depth at those positions. He plays very physical.

str8jacket
04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Kai Maiava is transferring.

Buff
04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Kai Maiava is transferring.

What???

That's bad news... Link? Is this because we switched his position? I thought he was in favor of that.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2008, 08:25 PM
What???

That's bad news... Link? Is this because we switched his position? I thought he was in favor of that.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/23/fullback-maiava-is-leaving-cu/

str8jacket
04-24-2008, 06:09 PM
What???

He was. He states family issues.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/23/fullback-maiava-is-leaving-cu/

Thanks

str8jacket
04-24-2008, 06:12 PM
The link didnt work for me

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/24/maiava-departure-buffaloes-personal/

Buff
04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
He says family issues, and his dad said all the right things-- except for the part where he said he'll play for Hawaii "or some other west coast school"...

If that's the case, I say he just wanted out so he could continue to play on the line somewhere else.

horsesense
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I guess rather than high-jack a thread I should put this here for all you Buff fans.
Our local paper has Clark Evans 6'6" 320 lb QB form Los Alamitos HS, Ca. committed to Colorado.
Hes gonna be fun to watch for sure... He's been killin the PAC 5 (All Div.1 schools) the past 2 years.

Buff
11-14-2008, 07:47 PM
320 pound QB? That must be a typo.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
320 pound QB? That must be a typo.

Either a typo, or he has gained a lot of weight all of a sudden.

http://colorado.scout.com/a.z?s=148&p=8&c=1&nid=3011714

horsesense
11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
sorry about that.. Thanks for link Carol.
This kid is something special for sure..

Buff
11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Well, this has been a forgettable season... I thought the team was ripe with potential, and after a 3-0 start and a win against West Virginia, I thought maybe they were slightly ahead of schedule in terms of rebuilding-- But it turns out I was horribly wrong...

Today we find out that we lost out on the #1 in-state recruit--

Colorado football coach Dan Hawkins won't sign the top rated in-state recruit for the first time in his tenure on national signing day in February.

Nick Kasa, a 6-foot-7, 255-pound defensive end, told Scout.com Monday night he has committed to attend Florida and play for coach Urban Meyer.

Ringo went on to say--

Colorado has nine known commitments to this point, but several of those players have academic issues to overcome to be eligible at CU and several others are said to be still considering other opportunities.

Then there was also a story today about Folsom Field attendance being down this year, which flies in the face of all the feel good stories at the beginning of the year about increased season tickets and attendance etc.

The combined announced attendance at home games this season was 296,858, compared with 303,051 last season.

Sooo, while none of these developments ought to be blown out of proportion... I think they are all alarming--- Everyone knows Dan Hawkins inhereted a program on a downward slide when he came in... So no one expects a championship over night, but we do expect steady progress, and all indicators are that this team has regressed from where they were a year ago. Wins are down, recruiting is down, attendance is down, morale is down... Everything is down. And we're on the verge of missing out on a bowl game.

The thing that gets me is that there is really no QB of the future to build around. Unless the kid from California comes in and sets the world on fire next year, we're probably looking at another year or two of Hansen/Hawkins... Which means that we are another 2-3 years minimum from competing in the Big 12... That's disheartening when I think back to all of the expectations I had in the preseason and my hopes that 2009 would be the year we finally turn things around. Looks like we better get use to the idea of a few more mediocre 6-6 type seasons.

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 04:35 PM
This team should be competing with what are the Big 3 in the north right now, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri, next year, and I'm afraid they won't be doing so.

Not a good sign, because I really like Hawk, and if he's not right in it for a Big 12 Conference Championship berth next season, he's probably on the chopping block, and some around here (KC) think he might already be on the chopping block, especially if they lose big at Nebraska and get no bowl bid (both possible). They have to win in Lincoln, and that's not an easy task.

Slick
11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
We haven't had good QB play since the 90's. That's what bothers me most. Even blind squirrels find nuts once in a while, why can't CU recruit a QB worth a shit? Or has it been coaching?

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 04:42 PM
We haven't had good QB play since the 90's. That's what bothers me most. Even blind squirrels find nuts once in a while, why can't CU recruit a QB worth a shit? Or has it been coaching?

Come on now...Joel Klatt was an excellent quarterback...

Slick
11-18-2008, 04:49 PM
LMAO...yeah, so was Mike Moshetti. :rolleyes:

We've had game managers for QB's since Koy Detmer graduated. I'm just tired of it. We can recruit every other position fairly well...above average in some cases, we just can't seem to get one kid who can throw the pill with any consistency.

Buff
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
This team should be competing with what are the Big 3 in the north right now, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri, next year, and I'm afraid they won't be doing so.

Not a good sign, because I really like Hawk, and if he's not right in it for a Big 12 Conference Championship berth next season, he's probably on the chopping block, and some around here (KC) think he might already be on the chopping block, especially if they lose big at Nebraska and get no bowl bid (both possible). They have to win in Lincoln, and that's not an easy task.

He's safe for at least 2 more seasons... He just signed an extension through 2012 at the beginning of the season, and this school can't afford another coach's buyout, so unless they go 2-10 next season, I think he's good through at least 2010... And I'd be surprised if he isn't around beyond that.

Slick is right though-- it's inexcusable that we've been without a QB for this long... At one point under Barnett, we were headed into the year without a QB on scholarship (luckily Klatt emerged as a walk on)... How the **** do you expect to be an elite D-1 team without a QB on scholarship?

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
He's safe for at least 2 more seasons... He just signed an extension through 2012 at the beginning of the season, and this school can't afford another coach's buyout, so unless they go 2-10 next season, I think he's good through at least 2010... And I'd be surprised if he isn't around beyond that.

Slick is right though-- it's inexcusable that we've been without a QB for this long... At one point under Barnett, we were headed into the year without a QB on scholarship (luckily Klatt emerged as a walk on)... How the **** do you expect to be an elite D-1 team without a QB on scholarship?

So did Ron Prince.

Buff
11-18-2008, 05:37 PM
So did Ron Prince.

Completely different circumstances... Ron Prince was replacing a legend, and was inexperienced... He didn't always have the support of everyone behind the scenes, and some people second guessed some of his methods.

Dan Hawkins is replacing a scapegoat and has the complete support of the athletic department, former coaches and the community as a whole. He's experienced and has been widely praised for his recruiting and the transparency of his department in all of the off the field stuff.

Trust me-- Dan Hawkins is safe for at least 2 more seasons. And as disappointed as I am with the current state of the program, I think we'd be dumb to try and bring in anyone else at this point.

honz
11-18-2008, 05:38 PM
My Utes just stole a QB that had verbally committed to the Buffs. It may be the QB from California that Buff mentioned a couple of posts up. Not trying to rub it in, just FYI...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=57367&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d573 67

Buff
11-18-2008, 06:08 PM
My Utes just stole a QB that had verbally committed to the Buffs. It may be the QB from California that Buff mentioned a couple of posts up. Not trying to rub it in, just FYI...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=57367&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d573 67

Jesus Honz, you wanna kick my dog too?

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 06:30 PM

No shit.

BTW...good job Buff:

At Colorado, a blinded Zac Robinson is an angry Zac Robinson

By Matt Hinton

Colorado fans knew their struggling defense would need all the help it could get against Oklahoma State's high-flying offense Saturday night, and at least one dedicated Buff brought out the big guns -- lasers:

The jumpy laser-pointer from the crowd hit Robinson's visor and cost Oklahoma State a timeout before a 3rd-and-9 snap in the second quarter; video is here. (Hat tip: EDSBS)

That's no way to treat a native Coloradoan, but the light-wielding CU partisan(s) forgot that Zac Robinson and the rest of the Oklahoma State offense is used to having colors burned into their retinas before the snap:

The 3rd-and-9 play following the laser-induced timeout? A 29-yard touchdown pass from Robinson to Dez Bryant that put the Pokes up 13-0, the final margin in their 30-17 win. And you thought the clown-signal system was just a silly distraction.

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts__6/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-99653185-1226938399.jpg?ymgwyVADET7Qh3OQ

Buff
11-18-2008, 06:36 PM
No shit.

BTW...good job Buff:

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts__6/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-99653185-1226938399.jpg?ymgwyVADET7Qh3OQ

That'll teach him to turn down a scholarship from CU. (Or, not, since he basically kicked the shit out of us).

Slick
11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I think Buff should handle recruiting parties. He'll know how to be discreet, yet close the deal.

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I think Buff should handle recruiting parties. He'll know how to be discreet, yet close the deal.

Buff: Sign it. We love you.

Recruit: Maybe, I dunno. I kind of like Texas and Oklahoma.

Buff: Sign it.

Recruit: Like I said..

Buff: SIGN IT!

Recruit: I'm not sure I like you're tone...

Buff: SIGN IT OR I'LL ******* KILL YOU!

Recruit: OK, OK...good lord...

Slick
11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of when coach Mac's boys flew the Crips in from LA, bought the drink and the stripper(they never got caught, although part of me thinks this is why Coach left to join the promise keepers), but that works too.

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of when coach Mac's boys flew the Crips in from LA, bought the drink and the stripper(they never got caught, although part of me thinks this is why Coach left to join the promise keepers), but that works too.

I love Coach Mac...I grew up watching the old Big 8 football and Coach Mac, but that dude recruited some serious thugs.

Rae Carruth anyone?

I bet you could find the Outside the Lines they did back in the 90s about the Football and Gangs...they highlighted Coach Mac's time at CU in the late 80s, specifically.

Slick
11-18-2008, 07:18 PM
I love Coach Mac...I grew up watching the old Big 8 football and Coach Mac, but that dude recruited some serious thugs.

Rae Carruth anyone?

I bet you could find the Outside the Lines they did back in the 90s about the Football and Gangs...they highlighted Coach Mac's time at CU in the late 80s, specifically.

MB, I went to some of those parties. Well, not the recruiting parties, but CU parties with a lot of those players. They wore their colors, drank Old English, it's all true.

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
MB, I went to some of those parties. Well, not the recruiting parties, but CU parties with a lot of those players. They wore their colors, drank Old English, it's all true.

I was a few years later, but I'm not gonna say I never saw a football players out partying when I was down there...(had a bunch of friends at Boulder about seven years ago...I didn't go there)

:coffee:

Slick
11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I was a few years later, but I'm not gonna say I never saw a football players out partying when I was down there...(had a bunch of friends at Boulder about seven years ago...I didn't go there)

:coffee:

Neither did I. I use the term "we" when talking about the Buffs a bit much maybe.

I'm older than you though, I was 16 in 1989, and I was a maniac. I so badly wanted to go there, I just didn't have the grades, or the money really. I guess you could have called me a jock sniffer.

MOtorboat
11-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Neither did I. I use the term "we" when talking about the Buffs a bit much maybe.

I'm older than you though, I was 16 in 1989, and I was a maniac. I so badly wanted to go there, I just didn't have the grades, or the money really. I guess you could have called me a jock sniffer.

Had the grades...not the money...I definitely had the grades. I had friends dumber than me go there, but only because their parents had money...also had a friend who was probably smart enough to get into an Ivy League school go there and wig out on too much weed and booze...

Buff
11-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Rae Carruth anyone?

Yeah, but man, those thugs could play ball... There's something to be said for character-- but there has to be a happy medium between Rae Carruth and Cody Hawkins... I know people want to get smart, high-character guys, but they also need to be D-1 calibur athletes or character doesn't amount to much.

G_Money
11-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Just so you don't feel too bad, Buff, this is the guy that AFAIK is still verbally committed to play for the Buffs. Clark Evans.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=55438&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d554 38

The guy who seems to have dropped the Buffs is Jordan Wynn. Both are Cali kids. FWIW the guy who's still committed to being here is ranked higher.

And you can tell from the video on that page he can throw the ball better than Hawkins, so that's a plus too.

~G

str8jacket
11-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone :shocked:

Nomad
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Buffs kicking Huskers rearend! Pelini should of stayed at LSU maybe their defense would be better:nod:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Buffs kicking Huskers rearend! Pelini should of stayed at LSU maybe their defense would be better:nod:

I love it, and I would love for there to be a flag, against Nebraska of course, so that I could see the head referee :elefant:

Nomad
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I love it, and I would love for there to be a flag, against Nebraska of course, so that I could see the head referee :elefant:

I knew there was a reason you were lurking the college football forums! :lol: I truly hope your son does get his chance at the NFL ranks because he does call good games!

MOtorboat
11-30-2008, 01:00 PM

I was there. What a freakin' heartbreaker. My best friend was happy, but damn...