PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Left in McDaniels's Corner?

Ziggy
01-19-2010, 06:59 PM
So after all the drama, whining, fit throwing, and fighting, who is still in McDaniels corner? It's simple. Either you support the Broncos coach or you don't. I'm just curious about how many are left. Now ineveitably, this will turn into another long thread arguing about this, that, and the other, but I just want to know who has remained loyal to the Broncos current head coach.

Disclaimer: Not supporting the head coach of the Broncos does not mean you are not a Broncos fan. Let's get that excuse out of the way right now.

Superchop 7
01-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Tired of his soap operas. (Zero people skills)

Tired of watching talent hit the door.

Offense is worse.

Draft was poor.

dogfish
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
where's the option for "shit, man, i'm trying?"

Shazam!
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I still support Josh McDaniels until the team he fields I deem as garbage or they stop playing for him.

I must admit after the 6-0 start losing 8 of 10 is awful, but he needs more than one Season to see if his vision for the Broncos will work.

I am just so ****ing sick of the bickering, whining, crying, moaning and pissing that has engulfed Broncos fans for virtually the last 5 years.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM
I still support him 100%. There has been no whining or fit-throwing, that's just a stupid thing to say. It's funny how impressed I was when I joined this board but now I just laugh at all these "sky is falling posts", it seems like half of the people on here are 13 years old.

broncophan
01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
I have always supported the broncos head coach.....for the last 33 years......so I won't stop now.

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
of coarse i still support him,he got us to 8-8 in his 1st year.i was hoping for 10-6 and a playoff spot but.....i hoped in one hand and.......:eek:
i have watched the broncos rise and fall for decades . why would i give up on a hc after one season ? granted their seems to be alot of changes going on.
some could be mcd's fault others not.besides there is no proof that losing the players or coaches that we have has made us a worse team.
i think growing pains have to be expected,especially with a rookie hc.
should we have given up on shanny after 1 year ? reeves ?
i dont think any coach could inherit the stale mess that was the broncos and turn them around in one season.jmo
therefore i will give him at least 2 more seasons to implement his scheme and get the coaches and players he thinks are right for HIS system.
after all he got the gig by his previous successes at other levels in arguably the toughest field to keep your job.
so why wouldnt he deserve at least another year to prove himself ?
:salute:

NameUsedBefore
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Let me put it this way, McDaniels walking out the door would have been a much smaller loss than Nolan.

SR
01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Absolutely I do.

Grover
01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I just can't vote yes or no right now because I'm feeling both the pain and the hope.

In my opinion, things have not gone at all smoothly and there's a lot of crap i just don't like. But Josh is the Coach and he has the duty to fix what's broken, even if he had a hand in breaking it. I'm going sit back and see what he does and how he goes about fixing things.

He's got coaches to hire, drafts to run, decisions to make on current players, decisions on free agents. I think I saw enough success last year to give him the benefit of the doubt and just see how things go through the off season and into training camp.

I'm certainly growing in my "pissed offedness" however.

Bozo Jr.
01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
yes.....and will always be loyal. Remember folks we are, and will always be the coolest team in the NFL hands down!:salute:

titan
01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm starting to have doubts but definitely want McD to have another year at least. Let's see what he does with the draft this year (he says he's learned lessons from last year), what kind of free agents he brings in (his best work last season), and how the new assistant coaches mesh with the team.

silkamilkamonico
01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I will continue to support him until results on the field change my mind. And no, and 8-8 season, coming off 3 playoffless seasons does not mean "poor results".

dogfish
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
seriously. . . i want to believe in him. . . i think he's a smart guy, he clearly has the confidence and drive that you want in a successful coach (the drive that i think shanahan lost over the years). . . i hated josh initially for the whole cutlergate thing, but said even then that if he won, all was forgiven. . .

i grudgingly approved of his choices for a coaching staff, and understood his approach to free agency even if i thought it had some fairly serious inherent risks. . . i liked the way he handled training camp, i was obviously pleased with the wins right out of the gate, and was pretty much won over after we beat new england and he stood there firing up the crowd with his fist pumps-- a little childish maybe, but i LIKE having a guy that has that intensity and determination to win. . . and i'm fine with him chewing guy's asses on the sidelines when they screw up. . .

i was disappointed with his play calling down the stretch, but willing to chalk it up to his inexperience. . .

however. . . i can't deny that the resurgence of the problems with marshall and chef concerned me, and the loss of three of our best coaches concerns me more. . . dennison and turner wanting to leave and work for guys that they worked with before is understandable, especially since their preferred schemes don't really fit with what we want to do. . . and while it's easy (and in brandon's case, clearly accurate) to point out the immaturity of some of the players involved, it's impossible for me not to be deeply concerned about the sheer number of these types of incidents under josh's watch, dating back to the firing of the goodmans at the worst possible moment. . . is it really just coincidence, a confluence of bad circumstances, or is the easy answer the correct one? is the guy really just a little pipsqueak tyrant who's impossible to work with?

there's no way to know without being a fly on the wall, but every time someone else wants out the evidence seems to mount. . . i don't want to jump to conclusions, but we can't have too many more coaches leave for lateral moves, or too many more players have personal problems with JMFMCD before that perception gets set in stone. . .

i said after cutlergate that he wins and all is forgiven, and i still feel that way. . . i also said that he accelerated his own timetable with all the drastic changes when a lot of people were far from convinced that they were necessary, and i still believe that also-- even more so with the chaos continuing this year instead of settling down. . . it's his perrogative to tear the whole damn thing down and rebuild from the foundation up, but it's only justifiable if you build something better than what was there before-- we were perfectly capable of going 8-8 with a horrific fade down the stretch with what we had before, if he wants to erradicate all traces of what was in place when he got here than he needs to show some progress. . .

i understand that it takes time, and for the most part i've counseled patience. . . the physical, mentally tough team we fielded early in the year-- the team that beat playoff squads like dallas, new england and cincinnati-- was so much fun to watch, and it's worth waiting for if we can put a squad on the field that will compete that way the entire season. . .

if he can't put forth a better team than the one that folded at home against oakland and kansas city, then we'd have been better hiring a coach who would have kept the offense intact (maybe added a running back), and focused on rebuilding the defense. . .

i truly think josh has the capability to be a quality coach, and i WANT to believe that he can learn from his mistakes, find ways to work with people and keep our talent from fleeing, and realize his potential HERE-- not in his next stop. . . i'm still supporting him in hopes that he can make it happen, but i'd be lying if i said my patience is going to last much longer without some tangible progress. . .

Day1BroncoFan
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I support him. Now ask me if I'm happy with him so far.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't know how you do not support the coach after only one season.

But then, some obviously haven't supported him from the first time he stepped off the plane . . .

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
My New Years resolution was to trust in McDaniels and support him this upcoming season. Here I am. I just hope he knows what he's doing. He has one year, not just to convince the fans that he's a smart as he thinks he is, but to convince Pat Bowlen. If our defense takes a step backward this year after all the problems we've had in the past and finally started getting them fixed with Nolan, I expect Bowlen to get rid of McDaniels quick, fast, and in a hurry.

broncophan
01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't know how you do not support the coach after only one season.

But then, some obviously haven't supported him from the first time he stepped off the plane . . .

-----

I agree.....as I have said....I'll support him.......doesn't mean I agree with everthing he does or has done......but I'll support him...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Absolutely I do.

My feelings also

Hardwired
01-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Yup. I'll give him three years and then see how it's going.

Northman
01-19-2010, 08:08 PM
where's the option for "shit, man, i'm trying?"

This. :beer:

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 08:11 PM
tis the season for big changes in about 75% of nfl teams so if this gets people all fired up i cant wait until' the real chit hits the fan !:laugh::salute:
look on the bright side denver won more games than chicago....so" we got that goin' for us......which is nice!"

LRtagger
01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I think McD had a bigger hand in the defensive success than a lot want to give him credit for.

Nolan has a track record for playing soft defense (few blitzes, more zones) but, we all saw a team this year that relied heavily on man-to-man coverages and 5 or 6 rushers. When you look at other aspects of Nolan's past, you will see that he never establishes himself with a team. All of his coaching stints are shortlived...either due to him being fired or leaving.

I am not trying to suggest that Nolan is a bad coach or that McD is a better coach...but I have faith that McD will still field a better defense next year than what we have been accustomed to in the past 5-10 years.

Being none of us really know under what circumstance Nolan left the team, I will give McD the benefit of the doubt and see what kind of defense he is able to field next year. If we see a big decline in defense, then I will be ready for him to leave....but if we see a similar defense or even one that has improved, then we will know it was more McD and less Nolan this season.

Lonestar
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
seriously. . . i want to believe in him. . . i think he's a smart guy, he clearly has the confidence and drive that you want in a successful coach (the drive that i think shanahan lost over the years). . . i hated josh initially for the whole cutlergate thing, but said even then that if he won, all was forgiven. . .

i grudgingly approved of his choices for a coaching staff, and understood his approach to free agency even if i thought it had some fairly serious inherent risks. . . i liked the way he handled training camp, i was obviously pleased with the wins right out of the gate, and was pretty much won over after we beat new england and he stood there firing up the crowd with his fist pumps-- a little childish maybe, but i LIKE having a guy that has that intensity and determination to win. . . and i'm fine with him chewing guy's asses on the sidelines when they screw up. . .

i was disappointed with his play calling down the stretch, but willing to chalk it up to his inexperience. . .

however. . . i can't deny that the resurgence of the problems with marshall and chef concerned me, and the loss of three of our best coaches concerns me more. . . dennison and turner wanting to leave and work for guys that they worked with before is understandable, especially since their preferred schemes don't really fit with what we want to do. . . and while it's easy (and in brandon's case, clearly accurate) to point out the immaturity of some of the players involved, it's impossible for me not to be deeply concerned about the sheer number of these types of incidents under josh's watch, dating back to the firing of the goodmans at the worst possible moment. . . is it really just coincidence, a confluence of bad circumstances, or is the easy answer the correct one? is the guy really just a little pipsqueak tyrant who's impossible to work with?

there's no way to know without being a fly on the wall, but every time someone else wants out the evidence seems to mount. . . i don't want to jump to conclusions, but we can't have too many more coaches leave for lateral moves, or too many more players have personal problems with JMFMCD before that perception gets set in stone. . .

i said after cutlergate that he wins and all is forgiven, and i still feel that way. . . i also said that he accelerated his own timetable with all the drastic changes when a lot of people were far from convinced that they were necessary, and i still believe that also-- even more so with the chaos continuing this year instead of settling down. . . it's his perrogative to tear the whole damn thing down and rebuild from the foundation up, but it's only justifiable if you build something better than what was there before-- we were perfectly capable of going 8-8 with a horrific fade down the stretch with what we had before, if he wants to erradicate all traces of what was in place when he got here than he needs to show some progress. . .

i understand that it takes time, and for the most part i've counseled patience. . . the physical, mentally tough team we fielded early in the year-- the team that beat playoff squads like dallas, new england and cincinnati-- was so much fun to watch, and it's worth waiting for if we can put a squad on the field that will compete that way the entire season. . .

if he can't put forth a better team than the one that folded at home against oakland and kansas city, then we'd have been better hiring a coach who would have kept the offense intact (maybe added a running back), and focused on rebuilding the defense. . .

i truly think josh has the capability to be a quality coach, and i WANT to believe that he can learn from his mistakes, find ways to work with people and keep our talent from fleeing, and realize his potential HERE-- not in his next stop. . . i'm still supporting him in hopes that he can make it happen, but i'd be lying if i said my patience is going to last much longer without some tangible progress. . .

overall most of this post was top notch.
the one part I have problem with was firing of the goodmans.. I see it as he did not trust them to find the players he wanted.

they had been scouting all year to fill mikes shopping basket and since the type of players Josh wanted were not what they had shopped for I can see why he would want them gone.

I also suspect there was a power struggle going on about who was GM. Who would make the decisions and when you have father sticking up for son (rumor) then coupled with just not giving him what he wanted then it was time to go.

If big jim is telling him and his staff these were the only guys in the draft they had extensive sheets and we were not looking at 5th round RB and Oline guys he was looking for top quality in RB, DE, CB and TE. things that mike never placed a premium on not to mention the transition to 3-4 where the front 7 are doing lots of things not just run D or pass D but having to do both well and the E would not be closer to 300 than the 260 we had before, that OLB would be closer to 270 than 235.

if they were only evaluating x and we needed Y then they were no use to us. regardless of their most recent "success" rate.

I know that our drafts seemed to be better the past few years, but if they were only judged on the abmismal last decade, one has to wonder just how good were they. will any of these players make it on other teams. or was our talent pool so shallow they were huge fish in a small pond.

Lonestar
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
My New Years resolution was to trust in McDaniels and support him this upcoming season. Here I am. I just hope he knows what he's doing. He has one year, not just to convince the fans that he's a smart as he thinks he is, but to convince Pat Bowlen. If our defense takes a step backward this year after all the problems we've had in the past and finally started getting them fixed with Nolan, I expect Bowlen to get rid of McDaniels quick, fast, and in a hurry.

wow if that was support or trying to be positive, perhaps it is time to start on a new resolution. because so far this year it has been an EPIC fail

Lonestar
01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
I think McD had a bigger hand in the defensive success than a lot want to give him credit for.

Nolan has a track record for playing soft defense (few blitzes, more zones) but, we all saw a team this year that relied heavily on man-to-man coverages and 5 or 6 rushers. When you look at other aspects of Nolan's past, you will see that he never establishes himself with a team. All of his coaching stints are shortlived...either due to him being fired or leaving.

I am not trying to suggest that Nolan is a bad coach or that McD is a better coach...but I have faith that McD will still field a better defense next year than what we have been accustomed to in the past 5-10 years.

Being none of us really know under what circumstance Nolan left the team, I will give McD the benefit of the doubt and see what kind of defense he is able to field next year. If we see a big decline in defense, then I will be ready for him to leave....but if we see a similar defense or even one that has improved, then we will know it was more McD and less Nolan this season.
:salute:

In retrospect this was an excellent post.

Rick
01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Really does need to be a middle of the road option.

I haven't given up hope but I am losing faith by the day.

Northman
01-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Really does need to be a middle of the road option.

I haven't given up hope but I am losing faith by the day.

Amen brother.

Like so many have pointed out i keep looking for the positives but then i see nothing but setbacks.

frauschieze
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
overall most of this post was top notch.
the one part I have problem with was firing of the goodmans.. I see it as he did not trust them to find the players he wanted.

they had been scouting all year to fill mikes shopping basket and since the type of players Josh wanted were not what they had shopped for I can see why he would want them gone.

I also suspect there was a power struggle going on about who was GM. Who would make the decisions and when you have father sticking up for son (rumor) then coupled with just not giving him what he wanted then it was time to go.

If big jim is telling him and his staff these were the only guys in the draft they had extensive sheets and we were not looking at 5th round RB and Oline guys he was looking for top quality in RB, DE, CB and TE. things that mike never placed a premium on not to mention the transition to 3-4 where the front 7 are doing lots of things not just run D or pass D but having to do both well and the E would not be closer to 300 than the 260 we had before, that OLB would be closer to 270 than 235.

if they were only evaluating x and we needed Y then they were no use to us. regardless of their most recent "success" rate.

I know that our drafts seemed to be better the past few years, but if they were only judged on the abmismal last decade, one has to wonder just how good were they. will any of these players make it on other teams. or was our talent pool so shallow they were huge fish in a small pond.

There's a few too many if's in that post to give the theory credence at all. Also, I cannot imagine that they weren't scouting what McD wanted from the day he was hired. To ditch them RIGHT before the draft speaks much more of a power struggle than it does of bad scouting. Logically, it just doesn't make sense.

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Report: Nolan left Denver after Dolphins sought permission to interview him
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2010 8:06 PM ET
The sudden departure of defensive coordinator Mike Nolan from the Broncos raised plenty of eyebrows around the league.

Why would Nolan want out of Denver? And why would Broncos coach Josh McDaniels let him go?

Steve Wyche of NFL.com has some answers. But, as is often the case in matters of this nature, the answers only give rise to more questions.

Per Wyche, the Dolphins submitted to the Broncos a written request to interview Nolan. McDaniels then asked Nolan whether he prefers to be with the Broncos or the Dolphins, and Nolan chose the Dolphins.
So McDaniels and the Broncos let him walk.
But how exactly did Nolan know that he'd get the job in Miami? And why in the hell would the Dolphins submit a request to interview Denver's defensive coordinator for the very same job in Miami?

Usually, such requests are made when the position would entail a promotion, like when McDaniels allowed offensive line coach Rick Dennison to leave Denver to become the offensive coordinator of the Texans, or when McDaniels eventually decided to allow running backs coach Bobby Turner to augment his position with the title of associate head coach in D.C.

So we're supposed to believe that the Dolphins took a shot in the dark in the hopes the Broncos would allow Nolan to make a lateral move to a team with which Denver potentially competes every year for wild-card positioning and/or home-field advantage, and Nolan took a leap of faith that by walking from the Broncos he'd have an equivalent job in Miami.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Dolphins contacted Nolan to work out a tentative deal, if Miami could persuade the Broncos to let Nolan walk. Of course, that would be tampering, but the Broncos apparently didn't have the desire to claim that the Dolphins had unauthorized contact with Nolan.

Even if that's precisely what occurred.

Northman
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
McDaniels is guilty. Of not trying to retain his services. McDaniels is guilty. Of trying to take over his duties as DC and not allowing the man to do his job. I can guarantee you Nolan is doing the playcalling in Miami in regards to his position. It was never about whether or not Denver let him go. It was about a unecessary power struggle and unwillingness to let the guy do his thing when it was very effective his first year on the team.

BroncoWave
01-19-2010, 09:09 PM
McDaniels is guilty. Of not trying to retain his services. McDaniels is guilty. Of trying to take over his duties as DC and not allowing the man to do his job. I can guarantee you Nolan is doing the playcalling in Miami in regards to his position. It was never about whether or not Denver let him go. It was about a unecessary power struggle and unwillingness to let the guy do his thing when it was very effective his first year on the team.

Link?

Northman
01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Link?

THe article has been posted all over this site. Do some reading you'll find it.

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 09:17 PM

so when mcdaniels was,nt too busy screwing with players heads and benching all the talented players.....calling the wrong plays on offense he found time to crush nolans will and force him to make bad calls as well....my my , he was a busy little beaver on sundays was'nt he:laugh:

Northman
01-19-2010, 09:19 PM
so when mcdaniels was,nt too busy screwing with players heads and benching all the talented players.....calling the wrong plays on offense he found time to crush nolans will and force him to make bad calls as well....my my , he was a busy little beaver on sundays was'nt he:laugh:

What the hell are you blabbering about? Is considered productive arguementation or are you just trolling as usual?

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 09:37 PM
What the hell are you blabbering about? Is considered productive arguementation or are you just trolling as usual?

so since i dont agree with you ....i'm a blabbering troll ?:laugh:
whatever floats yer boat.....
i was only pointing out that it is impossible for one man to cause as much chaos as people blame him for and keep his job ,not to mention get a team to 8-8 without the support of 99% of the team and coaches.
so this whole idea that mcD has single handedly caused every negative situation is .....bs
thanks for your time and as for my "trolling as usual"
if my willingness to try and find a positive side to things before flying off the handle or making hasty judgements ,then i shall "troll away"
if you read most of my posts they have a poositive spin and try to see things rationally.sorry but one angry person wont change that :salute:

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
What are you going to do when Orton is the backup for the Bills, and JMCD is QB coach for the Qubec argonauts?

Northman
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
so since i dont agree with you ....i'm a blabbering troll ?:laugh:
whatever floats yer boat.....
i was only pointing out that it is impossible for one man to cause as much chaos as people blame him for and keep his job ,not to mention get a team to 8-8 without the support of 99% of the team and coaches.
so this whole idea that mcD has single handedly caused every negative situation is .....bs
thanks for your time and as for my "trolling as usual"
if my willingness to try and find a positive side to things before flying off the handle or making hasty judgements ,then i shall "troll away"
if you read most of my posts they have a poositive spin and try to see things rationally.sorry but one angry person wont change that :salute:

Troll away. :coffee::salute:

LRtagger
01-19-2010, 09:41 PM

McDaniels is the head coach. He determines the philosophy of the team...including defensive philosophy.

He decides what type of defense the team will play and Nolan calls the plays.

If McDaniels and Nolan didn't see eye to eye...whether it be in the playcalling dept, personel dept, philosophy dept, whatever...it is probably better for the team that they part ways.

Look at Nolan's coaching history. If I remember correctly he has never been with an organization for more than 3 years including a mid-season HC firing and a single season as the Jets DC. This could be just as much Nolan's indecision about what he wants to do or where he wants to be as it is McDaniels not wanting him here. Maybe it is more Mike and less Josh...so why use the unknown as the deciding factor in whether you approve or disapprove. But if there are other factors, I could understand...we just know too little about this situation to determine anything IMO. For all we know Nolan just wanted to live in Miami because the weather is nicer. Can anyone provide any evidence to refute that claim?

If Nolan went to Josh and asked to be given the opportunity to pursue another job, what makes you think it would be better for the Denver Broncos to force Nolan to stay even though he may not have wanted to?

Josh implemented HIS defensive scheme, HIS gameplanning, HIS players, and HIS coach to call the plays. Until we see next year that this defensive improvement was 100% brought on by Mike Nolan, how can you make that determination now?

Make no mistake Josh played a major factor in the defensive improvements. If he can bring someone in here that might possibly improve upon what we did in 2009, why not let him? If he fails, then he fails and all fans can rejoice when he gets fired...then we will be on to our next DC in as many years along with the rest of the staff.

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
McDaniels is the head coach. He determines the philosophy of the team...including defensive philosophy.

If McDaniels and Nolan didn't see eye to eye...whether it be in the playcalling dept, personel dept, philosophy dept, whatever...it is probably better for the team that they part ways.

Look at Nolan's coaching history. If I remember correctly he has never been with an organization for more than 3 years including a mid-season HC firing and a single season as the Jets DC. This could be just as much Nolan's indecision about what he wants to do or where he wants to be as it is McDaniels not wanting him here. Maybe it is more Mike and less Josh...so why use the unknown as the deciding factor in whether you approve or disapprove. But if there are other factors, I could understand...we just know too little about this situation to determine anything IMO. For all we know Nolan just wanted to live in Miami because the weather is nicer. Can anyone provide any evidence to refute that claim?

If Nolan went to Josh and asked to be given the opportunity to pursue another job, what makes you think it would be better for the Denver Broncos to force Nolan to stay even though he may not have wanted to?

Josh implemented HIS defensive scheme, HIS gameplanning, HIS players, and HIS coach to call the plays. Until we see next year that this defensive improvement was 100% brought on by Mike Nolan, how can you make that determination now?

Make no mistake Josh played a major factor in the defensive improvements. If he can bring someone in here that might possibly improve upon what we did in 2009, why not let him? If he fails, then he fails and all fans can rejoice when he gets fired...then we will be on to our next DC in as many years along with the rest of the staff.

IMO we could have got something for Nolan. We didn release him out of the kindness of our heart. He was contractualy obligated to the Broncos. And we have played hardball with our players that have wanted out. This creates a double standard.

It is yet another case where JMCD's personal feelings, and or ego has taken priority over the franchise. I believe he puts himself before the Broncos. Whether he knows it or not.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
What are you going to do when Orton is the backup for the Bills, and JMCD is QB coach for the Qubec argonauts?

That looks like kind of a silly rebuttal, Clay . . . oh wait, never mind.

That doesn't look like a rebuttal . . . :coffee:

-----

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM

-----

If I say anything about Orton you will defend it with a high ankle sprain and his days at purdue that you watched on Youtube.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
If I say anything about Orton you will defend it with a high ankle sprain and his days at purdue that you watched on Youtube.

Are you intentionally off-topic, or did you just take the wrong turn somewhere?

-----

Northman
01-19-2010, 09:50 PM

So wait a minute. You say i cant make a determination about the defensive playcalling even though the track record follows Nolan's career yet you come out saying that McDaniels had a full hand in the defensive scheme and are trying to claim this as fact? Did McD call the defensive plays in NE? What else do you know that the rest of the world doesnt in regards to McDaniels? Again, im not stopping McDaniels from doing anything. Just because i comment on my displeasure to see a DC go who i think actually made the difference this year doesnt mean im stopping McD from doing anything. Its not up to me to prove anything. Its up to him. Ive been in McD's corner about a lot of things but this isnt one of them. Am i not entitled to question a move at all? Really? Can the mods and Admin please clear this up for me?

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 09:50 PM

i will be rooting for whoever the broncos have for a head coach and qb....thats what i do !:elefant::beer::salute:

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:51 PM

-----

I made an Orton comment and you locked in like a high ankle sprain on ortons weak ankles.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I made an Orton comment and you locked in like a high ankle sprain on ortons weak ankles.

In this thread?

-----

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:56 PM

-----

-----

In this thread?

-----

:confused:

rationalfan
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
interesting. if this poll is accurate, it reads just like the take on american politicans. that is, the loudest dissenters represent a definite minority; yet, they phrase all their statements under the guise that their opinions are universal.

i love people.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
:confused:

I remember when you used to think clearly, Clay . . . :sad:

-----

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
I remember when you used to think clearly, Clay . . . :sad:

-----

Yeah, back when I could sleep at night, and trust the Broncos were in the hands of someone that cared about them.

Now, Its like watching my mom have sex with illegal aliens.

Northman
01-19-2010, 10:00 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

spikerman
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, back when I could sleep at night, and trust the Broncos were in the hands of someone that cared about them.

I think you mean "have sex with undocumented workers".

Tned
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I continue to have reservations about McDaniels' management/people skills. I believe he is gifted when it comes to having a great football mind, and a great skill when it comes to how he ran training camp, etc.

However, I believe his ego and youth/inexperience continue to lead him astray and to making mistakes. Since I think he has big upside, I simply hope that he can survive as the Broncos coach long enough to gain a little humility and realize that there is a big difference between being boss and being bossy, and that a great leader realizes that he doesn't have all the answers.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 10:06 PM

I think you mean "have sex with undocumented workers".

He was more PC than I usually am when I refer to them.

Anyway, Clay, I hear you. C'mon over and rest your head on my shoulder a
while, and then I'll release the goat for you for one hour . . .

-----

spikerman
01-19-2010, 10:07 PM
He's definitely on my "list" and wouldn't cry to see him go tomorrow, but nothing would make me happier than for him to get his act together and lead the Broncos back to prominence. Until he stabilizes this organization I'll continue to criticize him, but if he can make the team a winner I'll support him. Ultimately, all I want is for my favorite team to win.

nevcraw
01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I continue to have reservations about McDaniels' management/people skills. I believe he is gifted when it comes to having a great football mind, and a great skill when it comes to how he ran training camp, etc.

However, I believe his ego and youth/inexperience continue to lead him astray and to making mistakes. Since I think he has big upside, I simply hope that he can survive as the Broncos coach long enough to gain a little humility and realize that there is a big difference between being boss and being bossy, and that a great leader realizes that he doesn't have all the answers.

This !

topscribe
01-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Authoritative vs authoritarian . . . that was a college essay of mine . . .

I do believe that may be the one area where McDaniels' youth has the best of
him . . . something he'll outgrow, I hope. I would like to know that Mr. Bowlen is
counseling him on that, although we know how "hands off" Mr. Bowlen is . . .

-----

LRtagger
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
So wait a minute. You say i cant make a determination about the defensive playcalling even though the track record follows Nolan's career yet you come out saying that McDaniels had a full hand in the defensive scheme and are trying to claim this as fact? Did McD call the defensive plays in NE? What else do you know that the rest of the world doesnt in regards to McDaniels? Again, im not stopping McDaniels from doing anything. Just because i comment on my displeasure to see a DC go who i think actually made the difference this year doesnt mean im stopping McD from doing anything. Its not up to me to prove anything. Its up to him. Ive been in McD's corner about a lot of things but this isnt one of them. Am i not entitled to question a move at all? Really? Can the mods and Admin please clear this up for me?

Wow yea lets get the mods in here to clear up my point about not allowing you to post.

McD didnt call anything on defense in NE because he was the OC. In Denver he is the HC. Did Nolan have any input on the offense in SF when he was HC? Do you think he had any input on the offense in Denver as the DC?

I know as little about McDaniels as you do. Like I said, for all we know Mike approached Josh and said he wants to consider taking the job in Miami because he likes the warm weather. Maybe he wanted to work in Miami all along, but the Denver job was the only offer on the table last year.

Josh seems like a TEAM first kind of guy. He gets rid of people who show even a slight notion they are not 100% behind what this team is trying to do. Perhaps he took Nolan's interests in Miami as an indication he wasn't 100% behind what he was trying to do in Denver.

Does that mean his ego is too big for his own good or he is not good at compromising? Who knows. Not me, not you, not anyone outside of Dove Valley. If you don't like McD's moves, I'm perfectly fine with that...but let's not all sit here and pretend Mike N leaving is 100% because Josh mishandled the situation.

pnbronco
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I have always supported the broncos head coach.....for the last 33 years......so I won't stop now.

Couldn't decide if I liked this or SR's "absolutely do" the best.

I have supported the head coach of the Broncos for the last 25 years, so yes I absolutely do.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Couldn't decide if I liked this or SR's "absolutely do" the best.

I have supported the head coach of the Broncos for the last 25 years, so yes I absolutely do.

It doesnt mean they dont aggravate us at times.

Hello Wade Phillips :lol: and Josh recently but I will always be a bronco fan no matter what.
through the chokes, playoff blowouts and Super Bowls. Orange and Blue forever

my support has been since 1981 so 29 years for med

dogfish
01-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Josh seems like a TEAM first kind of guy. He gets rid of people who show even a slight notion they are not 100% behind what this team is trying to do. Perhaps he took Nolan's interests in Miami as an indication he wasn't 100% behind what he was trying to do in Denver.

it seems to me that you're very likely right about this. . . and there's certainly nothing wrong with him feeling that way and taking that approach-- as long as he can find a way to make our talent (players and coaches) want to be here, or else bring in an awful lot of talent that does want to be here over the next year or two. . . try hard guys are great, but they're only going to get you so far. . .

if doom and kupes sign offer sheets elsewhere, does that mean they don't want to be here and we have to let them walk?

ikillz0mbies
01-19-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm still on his side. The guy has a vision and I want to see him fulfill his vision for this team, and most importantly, have it work out in the end. If it means getting rid of an unnamed QB, getting rid of a talented WR because of his attitude, etc. Fine. As long as it pays off. Despite all the crap that has happened this season and last, I will still support him because he is the coach of the Denver Broncos. He has made some good decisions and some bad ones. Hopefully, he learns from them and builds upon them, making this team part of the elite in the near future.

All the bickering, moaning, whining, and bitching isn't going to change the fact that he is the coach of the orange and blue. All we can do is sit back and watch.

Dreadnought
01-19-2010, 11:21 PM
No - I also didn't support Jim Bates and Bob Slowick because of what they did to my team. I didn't support Roc Alexander, or Danny Kanell, or Nate Webster, or Calvin Lowery. I wanted them gone ASAP so that my team could compete effectively.

Being a fan doesn't mean I have to tolerate the kind of incompetence he has shown.

rcsodak
01-19-2010, 11:24 PM
So after all the drama, whining, fit throwing, and fighting, who is still in McDaniels corner? It's simple. Either you support the Broncos coach or you don't. I'm just curious about how many are left. Now ineveitably, this will turn into another long thread arguing about this, that, and the other, but I just want to know who has remained loyal to the Broncos current head coach.

Disclaimer: Not supporting the head coach of the Broncos does not mean you are not a Broncos fan. Let's get that excuse out of the way right now.
Interesting how most of the "NO" people are the same ones that were against him in the first place.

I think people have forgotten how the team had played the last few years under Shanny.

They act as though McD has taken a SuperBowl winning team and turned it into the Raiders!

In case ^^^ this is true....

WAKE UP!
lol

rcsodak
01-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Tired of his soap operas. (Zero people skills)

Tired of watching talent hit the door.

Offense is worse.

Draft was poor.

:laugh:

What "talent"?

I'd rather players stay that WANT to stay!

Cut-n-run'er didn't want to.
Marshall doesn't act like he wants to (though his agent has him covering his ass just in case)
Sheffler doesn't act like he want to (ditto)

Other than that, WHAT talent has "hit the door"?

Nolan and McD had a difference of philosophy by the sounds of it, or maybe he just wanted to be in a warmer climate. WHO KNOWS?! At least McD didn't cut him loose the week before the season started!

Dreadnought
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Interesting how most of the "NO" people are the same ones that were against him in the first place.

I think people have forgotten how the team had played the last few years under Shanny.

They act as though McD has taken a SuperBowl winning team and turned it into the Raiders!

In case ^^^ this is true....

WAKE UP!
lol

Huh. And i remember quite clearly originally liking the decision to hire him. He was my first choice in fact. And I conceded that Shanahan unfortunately earned his pink slip by refusing to fire Slowick. In other words, way to generalize without knowing what you are talking about.

rcsodak
01-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I still support him 100%. There has been no whining or fit-throwing, that's just a stupid thing to say. It's funny how impressed I was when I joined this board but now I just laugh at all these "sky is falling posts", it seems like half of the people on here are 13 years old.

Easy, there, cowboy. That "the sky is falling!" is mine, and it's copyrighted!

ok, it isn't copyrighted, but damnit! I've been using it quite exclusively!!!!!!

:D

dogfish
01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Easy, there, cowboy. That "the sky is falling!" is mine, and it's copyrighted!

ok, it isn't copyrighted, but damnit! I've been using it quite exclusively!!!!!!

i wouldn't be proud of that-- it's the most dog-tired, worn out, overused phrase on the entire damn internets-- time to come up with something new, please!

rcsodak
01-19-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm curious....

What part of Nolan's "playcalling" did you like in the 44(them)-24 Chiefs game?

Or of the 259yards by their 2nd yr rb?

The 155 by Mendenhall? The 114 by Betts? The 133 by Bush?

The 129yds given up on the ground, per game?

The ranking of 26th vs the rush?

The 30pts by Bal? The 27 by Was? The 32 by SD?

Gee...evidently YOUR definition of "making a difference" is different than mine.

They ended up with a good overall ranking ONLY because of the 1st half of the season. After that, Nolan wasn't able to make the proper counter adjustments.

As for McD and his defensive 'schooling', if you look into his background, he spent time learning defenses from Belichek before he became the OC. Seems to me, that makes him an even better HC, since he has experience on both sides of the ball.

Shanny evidently didn't know shit from shianola.

rcsodak
01-19-2010, 11:57 PM

You need professional help.

topscribe
01-19-2010, 11:59 PM
i wouldn't be proud of that-- it's the most dog-tired, worn out, overused phrase on the entire damn internets-- time to come up with something new, please!

Um . . . "the fat lady is about to sing"? :confused:

-----

arapaho2
01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
i support him as a bronco...do i believe in him...not really...i did

its like this

mcd promised to get back to a winning team....

in sept..oct i thought the team was hot shit on a silver platter

by december the team was looking more like a cold turd on a paper plate....by week 17 we looked like a wet fart on a papertowl

and it may get worse.

topscribe
01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
You need professional help.

I offered.

He never answered . . .

-----

rcsodak
01-20-2010, 12:01 AM
wow yea lets get the mods in here to clear up my point about not allowing you to post.

Mcd didnt call anything on defense in ne because he was the oc. In denver he is the hc. Did nolan have any input on the offense in sf when he was hc? Do you think he had any input on the offense in denver as the dc?

I know as little about mcdaniels as you do. Like i said, for all we know mike approached josh and said he wants to consider taking the job in miami because he likes the warm weather. Maybe he wanted to work in miami all along, but the denver job was the only offer on the table last year.

Josh seems like a team first kind of guy. He gets rid of people who show even a slight notion they are not 100% behind what this team is trying to do. Perhaps he took nolan's interests in miami as an indication he wasn't 100% behind what he was trying to do in denver.

Does that mean his ego is too big for his own good or he is not good at compromising? Who knows. Not me, not you, not anyone outside of dove valley. If you don't like mcd's moves, i'm perfectly fine with that...but let's not all sit here and pretend mike n leaving is 100% because josh mishandled the situation.

best post!!!!!!!!!!!

topscribe
01-20-2010, 12:04 AM
best post!!!!!!!!!!!

:scared: Geez, a little more quietly, please.

You nearly woke me up . . .

-----

rcsodak
01-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Huh. And i remember quite clearly originally liking the decision to hire him. He was my first choice in fact. And I conceded that Shanahan unfortunately earned his pink slip by refusing to fire Slowick. In other words, way to generalize without knowing what you are talking about.

Way to interject yourself into my "most of". :coffee:

Hey, how bout Brown in Mass!!!!! woohoo!

rcsodak
01-20-2010, 12:09 AM

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

....if I don't relent to dog's demands!!!!!!

:couch:

rcsodak
01-20-2010, 12:20 AM

-----

....sorry, Top....

pnbronco
01-20-2010, 12:29 AM

-----

:laugh: nearly....hmmm Top did you get your reading glasses at the Dollar Store again.....:D

topscribe
01-20-2010, 12:34 AM
....sorry, Top....

No problem. That post was a lie, anyway.

*I only wish I had that much hair* http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thugh.gif

-----

pnbronco
01-20-2010, 12:45 AM
It doesnt mean they dont aggravate us at times.

Hello Wade Phillips :lol: and Josh recently but I will always be a bronco fan no matter what.
through the chokes, playoff blowouts and Super Bowls. Orange and Blue forever

my support has been since 1981 so 29 years for med

Aggravate, you are being too kind. There was times they had to hide the remote from me.....:eek:

Oh those Super Bowls where you really wish you had a different shirt to put on in the 3rd Qrtr. One of my friends put his on inside out, I was tempted.
Did you have to remind me of the playoff blowouts in Indy? Then there was that painful one against the Ravens when Sharp stuck a knife in us. Yup good times....good times.....:shots:

Broncolingus
01-20-2010, 01:27 AM
...got to.

Got to give boi more than 16 games to make a difference. For all he's done (perceived good or bad) there really hasn't been much change from the past few years.

Ask me again in a season or two...

JMO...

FanInAZ
01-20-2010, 01:39 AM
I'm not ready to write him off after just one season. However, I want to see a lot less of a soap opera in Dove Valley this off-season. What has happened in the past years since Shanny's dismissal is what I used to seeing for the Cardinals; not my Broncos. It needs to be stopped now before we have a multi-decade debacle on our hands.

dogfish
01-20-2010, 01:47 AM
They ended up with a good overall ranking ONLY because of the 1st half of the season. After that, Nolan wasn't able to make the proper counter adjustments.

he ran out of smoke and mirors once the tape was out. . .

you can only do so much with scheme when your guys can't line up and hold the point, and you can't expect a reincarnation of the orange crush with the line he had to work with-- those guys played hard, but last year's D featured too many try hard guys like fields, peterson, mcbean, hill, haggan, davis, etc to ever become some kind of elite unit. . . also, we had to rely too heavily on too many old guys like holliday, davis, ty law and dawkins-- i said before the season started that our D would probably fade down the stretch if we didn't get some significant contributions from the likes of ayers, baker, alphonso smith, jack williams, larsen, mcbath and bruton by the end of the year, and for the most part we didn't. . . shouldn't have been hard to see coming. . .

give nolan another star and a few more pairs of young legs to work with, and i think he could've done a hell of a job. . . given the extreme makeover: garbage defense edition he had to work with, he did some damn fine work-- too bad he's not sticking around to finish it, regardless of the reason. . .

Dirk
01-20-2010, 07:20 AM
I will support him until he completely shows he can't do it.

Unfortunately for all of us, we get the years where McD is "cutting his teeth" and/or "getting his feet wet".

I think that McD is going to be a great HC in this league. Yes I said GREAT.

No one thought that Bill Bellicheat was a good coach and would never amount to anything when he was in Cleveland. I wonder what the Browns would look like today had they not given up on him.

What would the Raiders have looked like if Al hadn't fired Shanny?

Every once in a while there comes a young man that has mega potential and is very green. They must learn the ins and outs and get over that learning curve. It takes resolve to stick by them until they do.

I believe if we can have that resolve and support the team and McD we will be pleasantly surprised where he takes this team. There aren't that many coaches in this league that have all the pieces to the puzzle in their first stint as HC.

He is young. He is learning. He WILL be great. But we must have patience.

On the flip side, I give him 2 more years. If the team isn't in the playoffs and a contender or at that pivotal point, then I will regroup.

But until then, I will support him and give him a little slack to learn.

Elevation inc
01-20-2010, 07:44 AM

best level headed post i have seen in days on this board:salute:, posts like this make me feel hope for bronco fans.....obviously there are mounting concerns, but we had literally 3 plus years worth of concerns with shanny late before something was done, and before 2005 we had six years of issues....so i am getting impatient with MCd and have concerns but still not at the point where im ready for the sky is falling firing...he deserves his shot with his people and what he feels comfortable with.....i would rather him be 8-8 this year, then 11-5 next year, instead of someone like mike smith who went 11-5 as a rookie HC only to see his team choke and fade bad this year going what 7-9...

that being said if we dont see results next year from this team he should be held accountable for his mounting questionable decisions and let go and i belive bowlen will do so....

Nomad
01-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Unfortunately for all of us, we get the years where McD is "cutting his teeth" and/or "getting his feet wet".

Good one!!

Nomad
01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
best level headed post i have seen in days on this board:salute:, posts like this make me feel hope for bronco fans.....obviously there are mounting concerns, but we had literally 3 plus years worth of concerns with shanny late before something was done, and before 2005 we had six years of issues....so i am getting impatient with MCd and have concerns but still not at the point where im ready for the sky is falling firing...he deserves his shot with his people and what he feels comfortable with.....i would rather him be 8-8 this year, then 11-5 next year, instead of someone like mike smith who went 11-5 as a rookie HC only to see his team choke and fade bad this year going what 7-9...

that being said if we dont see results next year from this team he should be held accountable for his mounting questionable decisions and let go and i belive bowlen will do so....

Yes I hope he makes his changes and improves, if not then it will be hard to defend him. If we're fighting till the end next season then that would be an improvement in itself!

EastCoastBronco
01-20-2010, 08:18 AM
There are no magic solutions. I'll give him a couple more years to implement HIS plan with HIS players and HIS coaches. What have we got to lose? It's not like we were on the verge of being a contender when he got here. Let it play out...

claymore
01-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Where does Bowlen draw a line in the sand and say "Produce wins before you produce more turmoil?

skycoyote
01-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I have said that McDaniels was the wrong choice from the begining. Except for the beginners luck he had early, I believe he made all the wrong moves, i.e. cutler, drafting, etc. I have said from the begining I wanted Rex Ryan and look where he is.

Nomad
01-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Where does Bowlen draw a line in the sand and say "Produce wins before you produce more turmoil?

He did give Phillips a couple years, so it's not like he's hesitate to pull the trigger! I believe Bowlen is like most fans in the wait and see approach, but definitely if the BRONCOS haven't improved by the end of next season and have a 2nd half like this season, Mr Bowlen may lose his patience!! Even though McDaniels has a hot wife!!:D

skycoyote
01-20-2010, 08:35 AM
He did give Phillips a couple years, so it's not like he's hesitate to pull the trigger! I believe Bowlen is like most fans in the wait and see approach, but definitely if the BRONCOS haven't improved by the end of next season and have a 2nd half like this season, Mr Bowlen may lose his patience!! Even though McDaniels has a hot wife!!:D

I don't think a size 8 is hot.

claymore
01-20-2010, 08:35 AM

Phillips was 7-9 his first year. And went to the playoffs his 2nd. So if Josh fails to make it, or loses the first round of the playoffs he's toast. :whew:

CoachChaz
01-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Making the playoffs would be progress. Take a mediocre team...strip it down...infuse a new system...and still have them achieve 8-8.

Continue rebuilding the team...achieve 10 wins...make the playoffs and lose first round...then get fired?

That's probably not the best decision Bowlen could make. When you bring someone in to rebuild the mentality and attitude of your organization...and they produce results...you dont get rid of them. If that's the agenda, then you are just following the Jerry Jones/Al Davis plan. How's that working out for them?

claymore
01-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Making the playoffs would be progress. Take a mediocre team...strip it down...infuse a new system...and still have them achieve 8-8.

Continue rebuilding the team...achieve 10 wins...make the playoffs and lose first round...then get fired?

That's probably not the best decision Bowlen could make. When you bring someone in to rebuild the mentality and attitude of your organization...and they produce results...you dont get rid of them. If that's the agenda, then you are just following the Jerry Jones/Al Davis plan. How's that working out for them?

We have had more ddrama the past year then the Raiders, Cowboys, redskins combined.

He fired Phillips after taking them to the playoffs and showing improvement over 2 years.

1992 Reeves 8-8
1993 Phillips 7-9
1994 Phillips 9-7 Lost in the playoffs.

The scenerio is almost the same.

CoachChaz
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM
We have had more ddrama the past year then the Raiders, Cowboys, redskins combined.

He fired Phillips after taking them to the playoffs and showing improvement over 2 years.

1992 Reeves 8-8
1993 Phillips 7-9

keep in mind he also had a hot, young coach from a rival team, who his star QB wanted him to bring in, waiting for a job. Tell me there wasnt internal influence to hire Shanahan

Nomad
01-20-2010, 08:56 AM

1992 Reeves 8-8
1993 Phillips 7-9

It would be hard to give Mcdaniel's the door if he takes us to the playoffs especially with the playoff drought we've had! There was drama back then as well with Reeves and Elway which Bowlen put Elway first and rightfully so. He probably fired Phillips because Shanny was a can't miss!!:whoknows: That was many moons ago, and I have a hard time remembering last week!:D

Medford Bronco
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM

1992 Reeves 8-8
1993 Phillips 7-9

I think you got it reversed clay

1993 playoffs loss to Oak 42-24
1994 7-9 missed the playoffs

1994 NFL Denver Broncos 7 9 0 347 396 -49 Phillips Elway Russell Miller 10 6 25 28 22 20 19 28 -3.1 -0.3 -3.3 1.3 -4.6
1993 NFL Denver Broncos* 9 7 0 373 284 89 Phillips Elway Bernstine Sharpe 3 5 10 19 11 4 9 28 5.6 -0.5 5.0 4.6 0.4

Denver Broncos Yearly Index at Pro football reference (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/)

Medford Bronco
01-20-2010, 08:58 AM
It would be hard to give Mcdaniel's the door if he takes us to the playoffs especially with the playoff drought we've had! There was drama back then as well with Reeves and Elway which Bowlen put Elway first and rightfully so. He probably fired Phillips because Shanny was a can't miss!!:whoknows: That was many moons ago, and I have a hard time remembering last week!:D

btw that is not what happened, see above.

93 playoffs
94 missed.

clay we get your point but you inverted the results. lol I do that at times as well. to many numbers :lol:

claymore
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I think you got it reversed clay

1993 playoffs loss to Oak 42-24
1994 7-9 missed the playoffs

1994 NFL Denver Broncos 7 9 0 347 396 -49 Phillips Elway Russell Miller 10 6 25 28 22 20 19 28 -3.1 -0.3 -3.3 1.3 -4.6
1993 NFL Denver Broncos* 9 7 0 373 284 89 Phillips Elway Bernstine Sharpe 3 5 10 19 11 4 9 28 5.6 -0.5 5.0 4.6 0.4

Denver Broncos Yearly Index at Pro football reference (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/)

You're right he regressed. So... he (JMCD) would need to go 7-9 to get fired.

Dirk
01-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Elway had more to do with it than Phillips as mentioned by CoachC.

So comparing Phillips is a moot point.

But I understand where you are coming from Clay since you have a nasty taste in your mouth of McD and can't seem to wash it out.

broncofaninfla
01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Respect and support is something that is earned for me. I support the Denver Broncos and always will but I can't say I support most of Mcd's decisions or respect much at this point. Winning changes everything though.....

claymore
01-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Elway had more to do with it than Phillips as mentioned by CoachC.

So comparing Phillips is a moot point.

But I understand where you are coming from Clay since you have a nasty taste in your mouth of McD and can't seem to wash it out.

Yeah Im not a fan of JMCD. Im just trying to give myself a measuring stick on how long he will be here.

claymore
01-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Respect and support is something that is earned for me. I support the Denver Broncos and always will but I can't say I support most of Mcd's decisions or respect much at this point. Winning changes everything though.....

Winning changes all. Good wins. not luck skin of the teeth wins.

Dirk
01-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Winning changes everything though.....

And there in lies the entire problem with most fans. If Denver had made it to the playoffs even if they lost their first game, people would have a different opinion of McD.

So no matter the amount of progress he made in changing almost everything about the Broncos and having a .500 season, there are those that still will crucify him because of winning.

Now, of course I want the Broncos in the playoffs every year! And a SB Champion every year! But I know that isn't possible and we are in the midst of changing the entire philosphy and schemes. It takes time.

Dirk
01-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah Im not a fan of JMCD. Im just trying to give myself a measuring stick on how long he will be here.

I understand and contrary to a lot of others, that is your right.

Even if I don't agree with it. ;)

claymore
01-20-2010, 09:24 AM
And there in lies the entire problem with most fans. If Denver had made it to the playoffs even if they lost their first game, people would have a different opinion of McD.

So no matter the amount of progress he made in changing almost everything about the Broncos and having a .500 season, there are those that still will crucify him because of winning.

Now, of course I want the Broncos in the playoffs every year! And a SB Champion every year! But I know that isn't possible and we are in the midst of changing the entire philosphy and schemes. It takes time.

I dont think I would have. I never liked his style, offense, emotional immaturaty, personel mgmt, media mgmt, and inability to keep mouths shut when it comes to trades.

JMCD has to win games in order for the players to buy off on all of his BS (getting yelled at, thrown under the bus etc...).

So we need to win early in the season next year to have a chance at a innign season. JMCD lacks the charisma to coax a team to play for him when the chips are down.

Nomad
01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I dont think I would have. I never liked his style, offense, emotional immaturaty, personel mgmt, media mgmt, and inability to keep mouths shut when it comes to trades.

JMCD has to win games in order for the players to buy off on all of his BS (getting yelled at, thrown under the bus etc...).

So we need to win early in the season next year to have a chance at a innign season. JMCD lacks the charisma to coax a team to play for him when the chips are down.

I guess I see how you feel because this is the exact same way I think of Les Miles at LSU!! And on Tigerforums, I get the same crap you get here, but I tell them to eff off and get banned!:lol:

claymore
01-20-2010, 09:32 AM
I guess I see how you feel because this is the exact same way I think of Les Miles at LSU!! And on Tigerforums, I get the same crap you get here, but I tell them to eff off and get banned!:lol:

I love Les Miles!!!!!

J/K!

MileHighCrew
01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
My problem with McD is not in wins and loses. My problem is how our team has become a laughing stock. Too much drama, fighting in the press, all of this needs to stop now. McD might be a great coach and still might be on the right path as far as building a team, he knows more football than I ever will, but the drama has to stop.
Cutler = problem Marshall = problem ect ect ect I get it but some of this has to stay in house.

pnbronco
01-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Zig thanks for the poll. I didn't expect the results but I'm really pleased to see them.

None of us liked the way the season ended, none of us. All of us knows that Coach made mistakes. Some of my greatest growth came from my worst mistakes. I just don't believe that one season is enough to judge any Coach.

He is the Coach of the Denver Broncos and has my full support.

Mike
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
I can't say that I am thrilled with all that he has done. But am still willing to give a chance to show what he has. One year, turbulance or not, is too early to come to any conclusion.

compucomp
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Based on the results of this poll, it seems like the silent majority has spoken.

Lonestar
01-20-2010, 04:25 PM

:salute::salute:
Actually there are a lot of folks here that are butt hurt that jay and mike are gone. For them it will not matter what Josh accomplishes here, they will simply climb back in hiding and say nothing like they did during the win streak. If there is a loss they will come out whining that the sky is falling.

A lot easier to be quiet when you are going to get a beat down, than stand on your soap box and taking it by standing up for your opinions. Popular or not!

frauschieze
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM
I really don't think there are that many people who are still butt hurt about Cutler and Shanahan.

Tned
01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
I really don't think there are that many people who are still butt hurt about Cutler and Shanahan.

No, the only 'butt hurt' people are the ones that keep bringing them up and typically bashing them, even though it's been almost a year since those guys left the Broncos.

claymore
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
:salute::salute:
Actually there are a lot of folks here that are butt hurt that jay and mike are gone. For them it will not matter what Josh accomplishes here, they will simply climb back in hiding and say nothing like they did during the win streak. If there is a loss they will come out whining that the sky is falling.

A lot easier to be quiet when you are going to get a beat down, than stand on your soap box and taking it by standing up for your opinions. Popular or not!

I would like to state on the record I have been true to my grudge with McDaniels.

I had one momentary lapse of judgement after the Charger game. Other than that Ive been rock solid.

Chris90210
01-20-2010, 09:08 PM

http://i46.tinypic.com/fbz6ux.jpg

Lonestar
01-21-2010, 03:19 AM

Ok, if you say so.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

In-com-plete
01-21-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm on the season ticket waiting list. And I'm geting pretty close.

But if this cornball is still our coach when my phone rings, I'm not buying those tickets.

In my book, like every other NE coordinator that's gone on to become a head coach, he's a joke.

Apparently Belichick teaches these guys more about how to interview than coach a football team.

I love my team but I hate my, errr, Bowlens coach.

Nomad
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't get this mindset. You would have a chance at season tickets and proclaim to love the BRONCOS, but would pass them up because you don't like the coach! With a multi year waiting list, why miss the opportunity, because the BRONCOS will be back!! I wish my wife could get stationed at Warren or Peterson because I'd love to take your spot. Through good times and bad, that's the way I see it!! :ohwell: the guy behind you will be thrilled!!

In-com-plete
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't get this mindset. You would have a chance at season tickets and proclaim to love the BRONCOS, but would pass them up because you don't wish my wife could get stationed at Warren or Peterson because I'd love to take your spot. Through good times and bad, that's the way I see it!! :ohwell: the guy behind you will be thrilled!!

I do love the Broncos. I'm here through good times and bad. But I'm there (Invesco) through good times only. ;)

I'll continue to spend my $300 on Sunday Ticket like I have been since 2000. I'll cheer and yell at the TV just like any other Broncos game I've ever watched since 1985. And I'll continue to put every game on DVD like I have since '03.

But what I'm not going to do is spend thousands of dollars if he's our coach and is continuing to run this team into the ground. It's 1,639 miles from my front door to Invesco. I'm not really within driving distance of a game. So I'm not just shelling out the money for season tickets. I'll be spending atleast $300 a game for airfare and motel and rental cars each game.

And I'm not going to do that unless this coach is gone or actually starts improving this team.

broncofaninfla
01-21-2010, 01:57 PM
I do love the Broncos. I'm here through good times and bad. But I'm there (Invesco) through good times only. ;)

I'll continue to spend my $300 on Sunday Ticket like I have been since 2000. I'll cheer and yell at the TV just like any other Broncos game I've ever watched since 1985. And I'll continue to put every game on DVD like I have since '03.

But what I'm not going to do is spend thousands of dollars if he's our coach and is continuing to run this team into the ground. It's 1,639 miles from my front door to Invesco. I'm not really within driving distance of a game. So I'm not just shelling out the money for season tickets. I'll be spending atleast $300 a game for airfare and motel and rental cars each game.

And I'm not going to do that unless this coach is gone or actually starts improving this team.

I share the same views. There are two games within driving distance to me this upcoming season (Tennessee and Jacksonville). For twenty years I've been driving to games that are within driving distance (no more than a 8 hour drive). For the first time ever I'm debating whether to do that this season or not. With hotel, tickets, gas and food I'm dropping $4-500 easy. It's hard to justify that given the direction this team seems to be headed and the identity we are assuming. If this offseason is like the last and/or we sign yet more former Patriots coaches and players, it will be hard to justify spending the time and money on this franchise. This is also affecting what I'll spend on jerseys and other Broncos merchandise. I'll always be a Broncos fan and will always support the team but until things start to change for the better I'm going to be hard pressed to spend a dime supporting the current regime.

T.K.O.
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
8-8 with one of the toughest schedules in the league is an improvement.most expected the chiefs and or raiders to finish ahead of us .trust me ....dont jump ship yet !
the bolts were 1 and done in the playoffs after many "experts" had them pegged as sb champs.
it just doesnt happen as easy as some would like to believe.
it takes ALL the players and coaches being on the same page and the right ones at that to even sniff the sb.
give it a little time.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Could we all agree that it takes MORE than one season for him to be able to improve this team????? PLEASE - he did NOT take over a superbowl contending team :tsk:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I share the same views. There are two games within driving distance to me this upcoming season (Tennessee and Jacksonville). For twenty years I've been driving to games that are within driving distance (no more than a 8 hour drive). For the first time ever I'm debating whether to do that this season or not. With hotel, tickets, gas and food I'm dropping $4-500 easy. It's hard to justify that given the direction this team seems to be headed and the identity we are assuming. If this offseason is like the last and/or we sign yet more former Patriots coaches and players, it will be hard to justify spending the time and money on this franchise. This is also affecting what I'll spend on jerseys and other Broncos merchandise. I'll always be a Broncos fan and will always support the team but until things start to change for the better I'm going to be hard pressed to spend a dime supporting the current regime.

If you decide to go to the Jax game, give me a holla. I'll be there. :beer:

Nomad
01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Just curious.....are there alot of season ticket holders who live halfway across the country from Denver?? I would only get season tickets if it was a decent drive from Denver or I made a hell of alot more than I do now, for the extra costs involved plus living everyday life, because I would want to go see all 8 games.

topscribe
01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Could we all agree that it takes MORE than one season for him to be able to improve this team????? PLEASE - he did NOT take over a superbowl contending team :tsk:

I believe McDaniels did improve the team.

There's a lot more that goes into this than just a bare, unanalyzed W-L record . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I believe McDaniels did improve the team.

There's a lot more that goes into this than just a bare, unanalyzed W-L record . . .

-----

True - for one, he brought in some great FAs

Overtime
01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I'll give him a pass for this season. After all it was his rookie season as a Head Coach, so mistakes and screws up are permissible. But if we go into January 2011 with these same issues and same questions, I'm going to be quite pissed.

We better have a markedly vast improvement in our run game, our passing game, and our second half of the season defense.

If Jan 2011 comes and no improvements, no playoffs, I will not be supporting McDaniels any longer.

Now I will say, if we miss the playoffs next year cause of some fluke tie breaker (like what happened to New England in 2008 even though they went 11-5), I won't hold that against him. but if we're 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 and miss the playoffs again...that's just not gonna be acceptable to me.

Davii
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I think the team showed improvement this year. It didn't show in the record, but I also feel we had a more difficult schedule this year. Granted, the entire dynamic changed from our D being atrocious to serviceable, and our offense being top rated to pretty crappy, etc.

But, overall, I think the team improved. I want to see a quicker pace, and some pretty serious changes this offseason. But he has my support for at least one more season.

Bottom line for me: I will scream until I lose my voice no matter who is wearing the orange and blue.

claymore
01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I think the team showed improvement this year. It didn't show in the record, but I also feel we had a more difficult schedule this year. Granted, the entire dynamic changed from our D being atrocious to serviceable, and our offense being top rated to pretty crappy, etc.

But, overall, I think the team improved. I want to see a quicker pace, and some pretty serious changes this offseason. But he has my support for at least one more season.

Bottom line for me: I will scream until I lose my voice no matter who is wearing the orange and blue.
Welcome back handsome.

Davii
01-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Welcome back handsome.

You sly devil.

Unfortunately I'm not here for long, just on an army base in Kuwait, back to work soon. Should be home in the next two months though.

claymore
01-22-2010, 04:23 PM
You sly devil.

Unfortunately I'm not here for long, just on an army base in Kuwait, back to work soon. Should be home in the next two months though.

Kuwait is nice this time of year. J/K it sucks there regardless. Enjoy your R&R.

broncofaninfla
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
If you decide to go to the Jax game, give me a holla. I'll be there. :beer:

Will do! I've been there before, the fans are pretty brutal but not so loyal. Seats are getting easier to find, scalpers are selling them cheap!

CoachChaz
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
You sly devil.

Good. Maybe we can actually get together this time. How's the other half doing?

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 01:45 AM
he ran out of smoke and mirors once the tape was out. . .

you can only do so much with scheme when your guys can't line up and hold the point, and you can't expect a reincarnation of the orange crush with the line he had to work with-- those guys played hard, but last year's D featured too many try hard guys like fields, peterson, mcbean, hill, haggan, davis, etc to ever become some kind of elite unit. . . also, we had to rely too heavily on too many old guys like holliday, davis, ty law and dawkins-- i said before the season started that our D would probably fade down the stretch if we didn't get some significant contributions from the likes of ayers, baker, alphonso smith, jack williams, larsen, mcbath and bruton by the end of the year, and for the most part we didn't. . . shouldn't have been hard to see coming. . .

give nolan another star and a few more pairs of young legs to work with, and i think he could've done a hell of a job. . . given the extreme makeover: garbage defense edition he had to work with, he did some damn fine work-- too bad he's not sticking around to finish it, regardless of the reason. . .

I agree with you to a point, but Holliday/Davis/Dawkins were still making plays in wk 17. I'd venture to say they were doing more than their younger counterparts.

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 01:47 AM
How many years was Shanny given?

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Phillips was 7-9 his first year. And went to the playoffs his 2nd. So if Josh fails to make it, or loses the first round of the playoffs he's toast. :whew:

6, 11, 8, 9, 10, 10

Those are the number of wins by Shanny after he lost his HoF QB.

McD is already ahead of the game. :coffee:

Shazam!
01-23-2010, 02:15 AM
Yes 65- 77.38%
No 19- 22.62%

I must admit, this overwhelming number surprised me.

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Winning changes all. Good wins. not luck skin of the teeth wins.

Cuz we all know: Only the Broncos have "luck wins"
and
"luck wins" don't count
and
any win against a favored team is considered a "luck win".

About gotcha covered, clay?
:rolleyes:

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 02:27 AM

So who we talking about, again? :laugh:

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 02:30 AM
No, the only 'butt hurt' people are the ones that keep bringing them up and typically bashing them, even though it's been almost a year since those guys left the Broncos.

And yet the "butt hurt" people keep bringing them up in 'stealth' comparisons.

A jr. high kid can see through them.

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 02:35 AM

QUIET! You're a girl! What do you know? :tsk:

oh....wait.......:eek:

hamrob
01-23-2010, 12:28 PM
of coarse i still support him,he got us to 8-8 in his 1st year.i was hoping for 10-6 and a playoff spot but.....i hoped in one hand and.......:eek:
i have watched the broncos rise and fall for decades . why would i give up on a hc after one season ? granted their seems to be alot of changes going on.
some could be mcd's fault others not.besides there is no proof that losing the players or coaches that we have has made us a worse team.
i think growing pains have to be expected,especially with a rookie hc.
should we have given up on shanny after 1 year ? reeves ?
i dont think any coach could inherit the stale mess that was the broncos and turn them around in one season.jmo
therefore i will give him at least 2 more seasons to implement his scheme and get the coaches and players he thinks are right for HIS system.
after all he got the gig by his previous successes at other levels in arguably the toughest field to keep your job.
so why wouldnt he deserve at least another year to prove himself ?
:salute:So, when we were 6-0, were you hoping for 10-6...how about 8-8?

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
So, when we were 6-0, were you hoping for 10-6...how about 8-8?
I'm sure alot of people were thinking playoffs at that point, ham.

But it is what it is.

The team got figured out, and nolan, in all his gloriness, was unable to readjust.

Maybe there is a reason he never sticks around with any team for very long? I dunno.

But I still think the main reason is IT WAS YEAR 1!!!!! And I still bring up the fact that SO many on here, when they were calling for Shanny's head, said they'd put up with sub-500 seasons. I told them they were FOS at the time. And look at them now! They're crapping their pants over a .500 season! :coffee:

T.K.O.
01-23-2010, 06:42 PM
So, when we were 6-0, were you hoping for 10-6...how about 8-8?

actually....yes.
we had just started the toughest 8 game stretch of any team in the league and i realized that this was a team that was trying to learn a new offense /defense and many of them had never worked together before on both sides of the ball.
so to answer your question,i predicted 10-6 before the season and never really expected more ,even when we were 6-0 i was surprised and happy but knew we had a tough row to hoe as it were.
i am as dissapointed as anyone about ending up 8-8 but ....we were 8-8 the year before with a hall of fame coach,an easier schedule and what some consider a "GREAT" qb.
so all in all i'd say the first year of the mcD era was a pretty good one.we finally kicked the bolts butts ! in their house at that.
we beat the pats...always fun
blew out the Gmen....and alot of other exciting games !
i wont try to get into the were better off without shanny or cutler debate,whats done is done and i prefer to look forward.that being said i think we have a young coach who is willing to take the heat and put in the hours to try and make the broncos a contending team and thats something they have'nt been for a while.
i'll give him the freedom and time to try it his way ,if he fails at least we shook things up which this team desperately needed.
if he succeeds well.....who's gonna complain about who our dc or qb was when we make a deep playoff push ,or hoist another lombardi !!!!:salute:

East Coast Fan
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I sat here thinking about the question for awhile, and then voted no. Yes, I understand that this is his first season as a head coach, and it takes time to get things the way that you want them. I have coached youth soccer since '01, and while that is light years away from being an NFL coach, it does give me some different perspectives on looking at this. I think what disturbs me the most was the way that he handled the Cutler issue, trying to get his boy Cassels in here and when that failed he screwed-up what was a very promising young offense; we should have done WAY better on offense with the likes of Marshall, Royal, Scheffler (who I think was hugely underused-remember he and Cutler really clicked), Stokely, Buckhalter, Moreno etc. Yes, the o-line wasn't as good as last season, which didn't help. The way that he benched Marshall and Scheffler in the last game I thought was very hurtful to the team's state of mind as well as those two players, but I understand that he was trying to "make a statement" and field the players that wanted to win and well we all saw the Chiefs kick our asses in that game so what was proved? I think that he should've turned the play-calling over to someone else because to my mind he didn't come near utilizing the offensive talent and became very predictable.

When we were 3-0, the owner of the company where I work said "your Broncos are looking good". I said "we haven't beaten anyone yet" to which he replied "why is the glass always half-full with you and your Broncos"? to which I replied "ask me again in December". I could see the 6-0 start was a mirage; once Baltimore destroyed us everyone had us figured out, and yet very few adjustments were made on either side of the ball. Do I still root for and follow this team after 37 years of following them-of course I do. But the last few years I have sat and watched this team with very little emotion, usually only uttering outloud to my wife once in awhile "why am I watching this"? This team to me had very little identity; there's Marshall and Bailey and Dawkins and Clady and....that's about it to my mind.

I'd give him another season to get things going in the right direction, as one season isn't enough. And yes, he produced a record similiar to what Shanny had done the last several years, but I think that he also did more damage mentally with the above-mentioned things that dropped this team lower than an 8-8 record indicates.

Give him his "people" and one more season, THEN ask the poll question again. I surely hope that he turns things around...

Tned
01-25-2010, 08:00 AM
And yet the "butt hurt" people keep bringing them up in 'stealth' comparisons.

A jr. high kid can see through them.

I'm confused. Are you talking about how you are still "butt hurt" about Shanahan benching Plummer for Cutler?

I get so confused some times... :confused:

claymore
01-25-2010, 08:10 AM
So who we talking about, again? :laugh:

Look at the thread title and figure it out.

56crash
01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I voted no . but since it looks like we are keeping him IMO people should scale back what they think will happen next season with the Broncos . we are close to becoming bottom feeders for atleast 3 or 4 years we will be a young team with no cemistry.

if McD stays I hope he totaly cleans house . and We keep only 3 players from Shanahan .

CoachChaz
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
I voted no . but since it looks like we are keeping him IMO people should scale back what they think will happen next season with the Broncos . we are close to becoming bottom feeders for atleast 3 or 4 years we will be a young team with no cemistry.

if McD stays I hope he totaly cleans house . and We keep only 3 players from Shanahan .

How is that?

missingnumber7
01-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I disagreed with the move to get rid of shanny, was even more pissed about bringing an offensive guy with no HC experience especially with what was out there at the time. That being said there is no doubt that McD showed what he can produce. And I have to say that I support him, but that doesn't mean that I like him as a coach. I have great disdain for his exuberant showing of emotion during the win streak and especially the Pats game. I don't doubt that as long as Bellacheat is the coach there and McD is the coach in denver that clip will be shown in the NE lockerroom before hand.

I hope that we get a chance to see McD succeed, but I hope that we don't have to throw everything out of the trunk to see it happen.

Lonestar
01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I disagreed with the move to get rid of shanny, was even more pissed about bringing an offensive guy with no HC experience especially with what was out there at the time. That being said there is no doubt that McD showed what he can produce. And I have to say that I support him, but that doesn't mean that I like him as a coach. I have great disdain for his exuberant showing of emotion during the win streak and especially the Pats game. I don't doubt that as long as Bellacheat is the coach there and McD is the coach in denver that clip will be shown in the NE lockerroom before hand.

I hope that we get a chance to see McD succeed, but I hope that we don't have to throw everything out of the trunk to see it happen.

Some players would get pissed at it and some that liked him would realize it was not a slap in the face but pure joy in a big win.

I'd guess that they had seen it before then a guy that loves the game and is competitve.