PDA

View Full Version : Stallworth to the Browns

Chidoze
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
The Browns are hitting the off season hard and heavy.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d806fa085&template=with-video&confirm=true

The Browns reached agreement on a deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallworth, formerly of the Patriots, on Saturday.

The contract numbers are not final, but the two sides were discussing a deal that would average $5 million per year and pay $10 million in guaranteed money.

Cleveland does not have any draft picks in the first three rounds of April's NFL Draft, so it is stockpiling players through free agency.

In addition to Stallworth, the Browns have also traded for defensive tackles Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams and re-signed quarterback Derek Anderson and running back Jamal Lewis.

Stallworth played one season in New England, finishing with 46 catches for 697 yards and three touchdowns in 2007. He was selected as the 13th overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft by the Saints, where he spent his first four NFL seasons.

str8jacket
03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
*cough* No comment.

Escobar
03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Cant hurt, lets see what he does.

Scarface
03-01-2008, 08:48 PM
That Browns offense is going to be sick.

dogfish
03-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Cant hurt, lets see what he does.

he will:

take advantage of the single coverage generated by braylon edwards on the other side

run a lot of nine routes

open up the middle of the field for winslow

go on a tear for two or three short stretches where he puts up big numbers, seperated by lengthy cold spells

make a few corners look silly with his deep speed

drop some catchable balls because he loses focus

go for a few long touchdowns

refuse to block downfield

pull a hamstring and be ineffective for 4-5 games in the middle of the season

in other words, probably exactly what he's done every place else he's played. . . .

Stargazer
03-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Good to see, next I am awaiting to see Randy Moss sign somewhere else.

Cleveland Rocks
03-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Nice compliment to the passing game. Now a WR corps of Braylon Edwards, Dante Stallworth, and Joe Jurevius with Cribbs in there from time to time.

Nice group of WR's there not including Winslow at TE. The offensive will be rather nice and those defensive signings should help out the run defense a lot.

Just hopefully the right QB gets the job.

turftoad
03-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Nice compliment to the passing game. Now a WR corps of Braylon Edwards, Dante Stallworth, and Joe Jurevius with Cribbs in there from time to time.

Nice group of WR's there not including Winslow at TE. The offensive will be rather nice and those defensive signings should help out the run defense a lot.

Just hopefully the right QB gets the job.

I wish our WR corps looked like that. Edwards is a complete stud, Stallworth is a great option for a #2 and Jurevious gives you a solid red zone threat as a #3.
BTW, the right QB just signed with you guys. He'll have a great 2nd year as a starter. If I were you, I'd feel a lot more more comfortable with him than Quinn in there right now.

Cleveland Rocks
03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I wish our WR corps looked like that. Edwards is a complete stud, Stallworth is a great option for a #2 and Jurevious gives you a solid red zone threat as a #3.
BTW, the right QB just signed with you guys. He'll have a great 2nd year as a starter. If I were you, I'd feel a lot more more comfortable with him than Quinn in there right now.

Not going to debate about Anderson. Everyone already knows how I feel about him. He's shown me enough to know the kind of player he is.

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Not going to debate about Anderson. Everyone already knows how I feel about him. He's shown me enough to know the kind of player he is.

I don't know.. So you think Anderson should be the starter?

CoachChaz
03-03-2008, 08:23 AM
That Browns offense is going to be sick.

Defensive line isn't looking too bad right now either

Cleveland Rocks
03-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't know.. So you think Anderson should be the starter?

He sucks.

He throws consistantly into double and even tripple coverage. Anderson costs the Browns games. He has poor pocket presense and poor decision making. His signing will cost the Browns in the long term by leaving the Browns with a far below average QB. Derek Anderson is another Scott Mitchell. A one-year wonder and not even really a good one at that. Anderson degressed during the season. As the season went on he played worse and worse. He should have been traded while the value was at it's peak. The Browns could have gained draft picks that would have further helped the defense. The Browns still need a pass-rushing Outside Linebacker and now have a glaring need at Corner because Leigh Bodden was traded.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
He sucks.

He throws consistantly into double and even tripple coverage. Anderson costs the Browns games. He has poor pocket presense and poor decision making. His signing will cost the Browns in the long term by leaving the Browns with a far below average QB. Derek Anderson is another Scott Mitchell. A one-year wonder and not even really a good one at that. Anderson degressed during the season. As the season went on he played worse and worse. He should have been traded while the value was at it's peak. The Browns could have gained draft picks that would have further helped the defense. The Browns still need a pass-rushing Outside Linebacker and now have a glaring need at Corner because Leigh Bodden was traded.

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/brady%20quinn.jpg

Flatinum
03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't know how it's going to work out with the Browns signings, but would you trade your first day of the draft (1st, 2nd and 3rd) for Quinn, Williams and Rogers?

Cleveland Rocks
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM

That's supposed to make me worry? All I see is a guy having fun at his sister's wedding. Trying to draw out laughs from those attending.

GEM
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM

All I see is a guy with some nice friggen arms. :drool:

fcspikeit
03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
He sucks.

I wont pretend to know as much about Anderson as you.. But I will say that we both know more about Anderson then Quinn.. I think it was a good move for you guys to keep him. Mainly because you have an up and coming team and you really don't know if Quinn will be a legit starter in this league. If Quinn was your starter going into next year it would be a rebuilding year and I think your team is better then that.

At least this way you have Anderson there for at least one more year to see if this year was a fluke or not. If Anderson don't live up to expectations you still have Quinn and you will be no worse off bringing him in. If Anderson continues to grow as a good starter then you can trade Quinn next year.

Also, think of it this way, Right now the QB class next year don't look as good as it does this year. That being said, Anderson or Quinn will be worth more next year then either would have been worth this year. What do you think you could have got for Anderson this year? A 2nd? The QB class this year looks a lot better in the 2nd then it does the 1st. I'm not sure anyone would have traded their 2nd away for Anderson knowing there will be good Value at the QB position in the 2nd...

If Anderson plays well this year you might even get a 1st for him next year. If you keep him I bet you can get a second for Quinn next year so your really not getting hurt by keeping both for another year.

Why do you think the coaches went with Anderson over Quinn? They are watching both in practice, one would think they would know who looks to be the better starter... I'm not saying your wrong, just that your coaches seem to have a higher opinion of Anderson then you do.

Cleveland Rocks
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I wont pretend to know as much about Anderson as you.. But I will say that we both know more about Anderson then Quinn.. I think it was a good move for you guys to keep him. Mainly because you have an up and coming team and you really don't know if Quinn will be a legit starter in this league. If Quinn was your starter going into next year it would be a rebuilding year and I think your team is better then that.

At least this way you have Anderson there for at least one more year to see if this year was a fluke or not. If Anderson don't live up to expectations you still have Quinn and you will be no worse off bringing him in. If Anderson continues to grow as a good starter then you can trade Quinn next year.

Also, think of it this way, Right now the QB class next year don't look as good as it does this year. That being said, Anderson or Quinn will be worth more next year then either would have been worth this year. What do you think you could have got for Anderson this year? A 2nd? The QB class this year looks a lot better in the 2nd then it does the 1st. I'm not sure anyone would have traded their 2nd away for Anderson knowing there will be good Value at the QB position in the 2nd...

If Anderson plays well this year you might even get a 1st for him next year. If you keep him I bet you can get a second for Quinn next year so your really not getting hurt by keeping both for another year.

Why do you think the coaches went with Anderson over Quinn? They are watching both in practice, one would think they would know who looks to be the better starter... I'm not saying your wrong, just that your coaches seem to have a higher opinion of Anderson then you do.

The contract Anderson was signed to is 1/3 of what he demanded. Anderson was demanding Tony Romo money. Anderson was offered a relatively small contract to what he wanted. It's easy to see that this was intended to give the illusion that the Browns were willing to offer him more but that he took a better contract closer to what he wanted. Instead, he shockingly signed. I do not believe it was the Browns intent to sign him and that this offer was just to show the media and the fans "in case" Anderson went on to have success or Quinn underperformed. Now, instead of the Browns gaining draft picks which are needed the team is stuck with an overpaid QB who isn't any good.

Sure, Quinn could play bad. But he hasn't had the opportunity to even play. Unlike Anderson, Quinn has tremendous upside. Anderson regressed as the season wore on. Quinn should only get better. Anderson is very lucky he did so well at the beginning of last season because he really slacked off as the season wore on - when it mattered the most. Anderson is very mistake prone and cost the Browns several games last year due to his poor decision makeing and poor pocket presence.

turftoad
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
The contract Anderson was signed to is 1/3 of what he demanded. Anderson was demanding Tony Romo money. Anderson was offered a relatively small contract to what he wanted. It's easy to see that this was intended to give the illusion that the Browns were willing to offer him more but that he took a better contract closer to what he wanted. Instead, he shockingly signed. I do not believe it was the Browns intent to sign him and that this offer was just to show the media and the fans "in case" Anderson went on to have success or Quinn underperformed. Now, instead of the Browns gaining draft picks which are needed the team is stuck with an overpaid QB who isn't any good.

Sure, Quinn could play bad. But he hasn't had the opportunity to even play. Unlike Anderson, Quinn has tremendous upside. Anderson regressed as the season wore on. Quinn should only get better. Anderson is very lucky he did so well at the beginning of last season because he really slacked off as the season wore on - when it mattered the most. Anderson is very mistake prone and cost the Browns several games last year due to his poor decision makeing and poor pocket presence.

It was Andersons first year as a starter. Anderson has the same tremendous upside as Quinn does. He'll be good this season.

Cleveland Rocks
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
It was Andersons first year as a starter. Anderson has the same tremendous upside as Quinn does. He'll be good this season.

Anderson started several games the year before.

Anderson also is a few years older than Quinn. Quinn has much more upside and was highly regarded in the draft. Anderson - he was a nobody who coaches noted didn't have the "brains" for the job.

Scarface
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
That's supposed to make me worry? All I see is a guy having fun at his sister's wedding. Trying to draw out laughs from those attending.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/quinn-cup-1.jpg

Medford Bronco
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Anderson also is a few years older than Quinn. Quinn has much more upside and was highly regarded in the draft. Anderson - he was a nobody who coaches noted didn't have the "brains" for the job.

If he does not have the brains Charlie then why did the Browns just sign him to an extension.

yes you can like quinn but Anderson is a good QB IMO, I know you will disagree with me but I think he had a good year last season.

GEM
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM

I wouldn't go that far, he dropped from projected top 10 to the 20's. The only reason he was picked up then was because it was the Browns, no one else showed a whole lot of interest. There were worries that he would drop out of the 1st round all together.

I think you are a bit too hard on Anderson and are looking at the sexy pick(and no I don't mean how Quinn looks).

turftoad
03-03-2008, 05:50 PM

Tom Brady was a nobody too. He wasn't even highly regarded in the draft.
Jeez..... CR give the guy a chance. Last year was his first as a starter. Him and Edwards have a nice thing going and bringing in Stallworth will help him out too.
If Quinn was SO highly regarded how come he sat there on draft day looking like he was going to cry while he slid and slid and slid.