PDA

View Full Version : Players reactions

Superchop 7
01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Denver Broncos Players React to Mike Nolan's Departure
---January 18, 2010 6:21MST---

Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan have decided to part ways.

The two men have “mutually decided” on this move, according to Jay Glazer of foxsports.com who was first to report Nolan’s departure.

This is the third coach to leave the Broncos' organization in the past 15 days. Former Broncos offensive line coach, Rick Dennison, moved on to the Houston Texans to become their new offensive coordinator; and former Broncos running backs coach, Bobby Turner, was promoted to associate head coach with the Washington Redskins.

Most players Fox31’s Josina Anderson spoke with just as the news broke were unaware that Nolan had resigned. While a noted few players contacted expressed irritation at the notion of more change, everyone uniformly conveyed initial shock.

“Wow is this really true? (Nolan) was my fifth defensive coordinator in eight years,” said Broncos linebacker Andra Davis at the outset of a phone conversation.

Davis, who looks to enter his 9th year in the league next season, admits while he grew use to firings in Cleveland as a former Brown, this ongoing coaching carousel in Denver has caught him a bit off guard.

“In Cleveland we kind of always knew to expect someone was going to get fired because we were losing and that always brings about change, but with the Broncos the defense was definitely improving,” added Davis.

Once surprise wore off, several Broncos defensive players had many positive things to say about their departed coach.

“I feel bad that he is leaving, but it’s life. I wish the best for him because he was truly a players coach,” said Broncos defensive lineman Ryan McBean.

Although McBean didn’t know Nolan for long, he intimated that his old coach made a lasting impression on him both personally and professionally. It’s obvious Nolan kept the guys excited to play for him.

“It’s too bad because I only got to know (Nolan) for one season; but even in that little amount of time I was more than impressed. I love playing for him. I loved coming to work everyday because I know he had one mentality and that was winning. Coach was really about his guys. He took care of us. Nolan was a great coach,” said McBean.

It was evident in conversations with both McBean and Davis that they respected Nolan as a good teacher as well. McBean said that his introductory meeting with Nolan made a big difference.

“It’s because he also made a great first impression. He came in and approached us like men. Just to be a part of his career in the NFL is an honor to me. I learned a whole lot from him. The biggest thing I learned from him was coming to work, knowing your opponent, and doing all the extra things to better yourself on the field. Every single time he opened his mouth everybody listened. I respect that about him. He knows his stuff,” said McBean.

When asked if he concurred with McBean, Davis told Anderson he also shared the same sentiments

“I agree with (McBean). I learned a lot from him. He let us go play. We didn’t have to be like robots out there.”

The Broncos defense clearly thrived under Nolan, even under great skepticism. Despite the unit finishing in the cellar with a 29thranking in the season prior to Nolan’s arrival, he guided his department to a 7th ranking on the heels of his departure.

Which begs the question: who is good enough to replace Nolan, and continue the unit’s upward trend?

Anderson asked some of the players about their opinions.

“You never know who will take over. Will they bring in an insider or an outsider? Hopefully we run a similar scheme. If everything changes we have to start from scratch You never know how that will effect the guys, but then again we have a lot of veterans,” said Davis.

Not knowing who McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders have in mind as a candidate to replace Nolan surely didn’t stop Davis from offering a friendly recommendation

“Our linebackers coach, Don Martindale, would be great. When it’s your position coach, you know them a lot more from being around them. Your relationship is more personal. The way he had us prepare, coach Wink (Martindale’s nickname) definitely knew his X’s and O’s. Hands down, Wink is one of the best coaches I have worked with,” emphasized Davis.

Davis and two other Broncos defenseman suggested coach Martindale was the best internal candidate to replace Nolan when asked on Monday.

As for now, the guys seem to just be preparing for change.

Yet again.

“Don’t get me wrong, this is definitely shocking. I truly wish Nolan the best, but the game will move on,” added Davis in conclusion.

ikillz0mbies
01-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice suggestion on Martindale. I think the Broncos should hire from within so there isn't much of a scheme change. Plus the players already know him. He did a great job with the line backers this year (Ayers is still a work in progress). I'm all for Martindale. Screw Pees.

Superchop 7
01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I agree, Pees has had alot of health problems.

Give the players what they want.

dogfish
01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Nice suggestion on Martindale. I think the Broncos should hire from within so there isn't much of a scheme change. Plus the players already know him. He did a great job with the line backers this year (Ayers is still a work in progress). I'm all for Martindale. Screw Pees.

it would be nice to keep the same terminology and minimize the learning curve, but. . . i think it was already reported somewhere that we'll look outside the organization instead of promoting from within. . . we'll see if that's accurate. . .

ikillz0mbies
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
it would be nice to keep the same terminology and minimize the learning curve, but. . . i think it was already reported somewhere that we'll look outside the organization instead of promoting from within. . . we'll see if that's accurate. . .

Ugh....if they do hire from the outside, wouldn't players be sick and tired of learning new terminology, players, and scheme all over again? This is the 5th straight year there has been a new DC. There has to be consistency.

Dean
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
I agree, Pees has had alot of health problems.

Give the players what they want.

Slowick was who Bailey wanted two years ago.:D

ikillz0mbies
01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Slowick was who Bailey wanted two years ago.:D

:tsk:

titan
01-18-2010, 11:02 PM
“Our linebackers coach, Don Martindale, would be great. When it’s your position coach, you know them a lot more from being around them. Your relationship is more personal. The way he had us prepare, coach Wink (Martindale’s nickname) definitely knew his X’s and O’s. Hands down, Wink is one of the best coaches I have worked with,” emphasized Davis.

==

Dave Logan on his radio show speculated that the Broncos will hire from within for the new D Coordinator. Martindale would then be the right choice.