PDA

View Full Version : Dean Pees

Superchop 7
01-18-2010, 08:54 PM
From the Boston Herald (regarding Pees leaving Patriots)

"Against high-powered teams like the Saints, Colts and Texans, the unit looked hopeless. Breakdowns in the secondary occurred, and Pees struggled to keep the group’s confidence high."

Northman
01-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Championship.

nevcraw
01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
sounds perfect. We'll take him..

NightTrainLayne
01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
From the Boston Herald (regarding Pees leaving Patriots)

"Against high-powered teams like the Saints, Colts and Texans, the unit looked hopeless. Breakdowns in the secondary occurred, and Pees struggled to keep the group’s confidence high."

Hmmm.

I'm imagining what someone would have to say about Nolan's defense against "powerhouses" like the Chiefs, the Ravens and Steelers.

Superchop 7
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
You have to be nuts to think Nolan did a bad job last year.

dogfish
Hmmm.

I'm imagining what someone would have to say about Nolan's defense against "powerhouses" like the Chiefs, the Ravens and Steelers.

this is true, but in all fairness, look what the guy had to work with here-- all things considered, i'd say he did a pretty amazing job. . . it's not easy to play nasty defense when you've got the three stooges and father time as your defensive end rotation and san fran's old third stringer on the nose. . . you can only get so far with smoke and mirrors in the big leagues, and scheme and play calling only go so far when you have average at best talent-- or when your old guys start wearing out late in the year, which was one of my big concerns with the veteran group we put together. . .

edit: i WAS really looking forward to seeing what nolan could do with another year to rework the defensive roster, develop last year's rooks and add more talent through the draft/FA. . . so friggin' much for that!

maybe i should start a poll about what we'll get for brandon marshall to help keep those offseason blues at bay?

:lol::doh:

Superchop 7
I'd rather have Al Groh than Pees.

dogfish
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd rather have Al Groh than Pees.

that's not a bad thought. . .

JONtheBRONCO
01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Dean Pees, a 37-year coaching veteran, was named the defensive coordinator on Bill Belichick's staff on January 17, 2006. Pees served as the Patriots' linebackers coach from 2004-05 and his coaching credentials include six seasons as a collegiate head coach and 15 seasons as a defensive coordinator at the college level. Pees joined Belichick's staff prior to the 2004 season after a tenure as the head coach at Kent State.

The Patriots have averaged less than 20 points per game allowed in every season that Pees has been defensive coordinator. In 2008, the Patriots allowed 19.3 points per game and achieved an 11-5 record despite using 22 different starters on defense, including four rookies. Pees' 2008 defense ranked second in the NFL in forced threeand- out percentage (30.6) and helped give the offense the second best average starting field position in the NFL.

In 2007, Pees' defense contributed to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history. The Patriots defense allowed 274 points, marking the fourth time in the previous five seasons (since 2003) that New England has allowed fewer than 275 points in a season. The 2007 Patriots ranked fourth in the league in yards allowed per game (288.3), the fewest allowed by a Patriots defense in 28 years, and second in the league in sacks (47). The Patriots defense sent three starters to the Pro Bowl (LB Mike Vrabel, NT Vince Wilfork and CB Asante Samuel).

In his first season as defensive coordinator in 2006, Pees' defense set a franchise record for points allowed per game, giving up an average of just 14.81 points per opponent as the Patriots finished 12-4 and at the top of the AFC East. The New England defense was fourth in the NFL in takeaways and first in opponents' fourth down conversion percentage. The Patriots defense was also second in the league in opponent passer rating. Pees' defense steadily improved over the course of the season, and remained in the NFL's top 10 in total defense for the entire second half of the season. The Patriots finished second in the league in points allowed in 2006.

In 2005, Pees tutored a Patriots linebackers unit that featured three of the defense's top five tacklers and accounted for 22 of the team's 33 sacks. Mike Vrabel transitioned from outside linebacker to inside linebacker during the season and paced the team with a career-high 114 tackles (80 solo), while Rosevelt Colvin's 73 tackles (49 solo) marked the second highest total of his career and placed fourth on the team. Tedy Bruschi, who missed the first six games of the season while recovering from a stroke, placed fifth on the team with 72 tackles (38 solo) despite playing in just nine games.

Ziggy
01-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Pees certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. He knows the scheme that McD wants to run, and it's an attacking 3-4. He has experience and success, but coming from the Pats, he'll be thoroughly bashed before he even gets a chance around here.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Pees certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. He knows the scheme that McD wants to run, and it's an attacking 3-4. He has experience and success, but coming from the Pats, he'll be thoroughly bashed before he even gets a chance around here.

Ya think :D

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 11:32 PM
McDaniels would help him turn it around again at Denver. The man knows football. Period.

dogfish
01-18-2010, 11:32 PM

it's clearly fodder for jokes, but i'm not going to bash someone just because they're from new england-- for example, you won't hear a bit of bashing from me if we sign vince wilfork or richard seymour, or even jarvis green. . .

however, i think there are more legitimate reasons to be wary of pees-- like for instance, we know who's primarily responsible for the defensive gameplanning in new england, and it ain't dean pees any more than it was eric mangina, or probably romeo crennel for that matter-- we can certainly hope that pees learned from the master, but the guy has never been in charge of a pro defense without belly looking over his shoulder. . .

and what's more important, IMO-- the guy is 60 years old and reportedly has had a number of health problems. . . i understand that you can't keep your assistants forever if they're any good, but i hate the thought that we could bring this guy in and not even know if he's going to make it through the season, let alone be here long term. . . if we can't get another proven veteran coordinator of nolan's caliber-- and those guys don't exactly grow on trees-- i'd almost rather take our chances promoting a guy like martindale. . . at least with a first-time coordinator, you have a chance of him sticking around long enough to build some freakin' continuity for once, instead of yet another short-term rental who's here just long enough to fill the guys' heads with new terminology and a new playbook before we're bringing in somebody else. . .

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM

The majority of people around here would rather have "average talent" than win playoff games.

Ziggy
01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd be happy with Martindale also. It would be nice to see assistant coaches promoted from within. Also, we could keep the same system and terminology in place for the most part, which would make the transition smoother. Pees and Martindale are both good options at this point.

Northman
01-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Dean Pees, a 37-year coaching veteran, was named the defensive coordinator on Bill Belichick's staff on January 17, 2006. Pees served as the Patriots' linebackers coach from 2004-05 and his coaching credentials include six seasons as a collegiate head coach and 15 seasons as a defensive coordinator at the college level. Pees joined Belichick's staff prior to the 2004 season after a tenure as the head coach at Kent State.

The Patriots have averaged less than 20 points per game allowed in every season that Pees has been defensive coordinator. In 2008, the Patriots allowed 19.3 points per game and achieved an 11-5 record despite using 22 different starters on defense, including four rookies. Pees' 2008 defense ranked second in the NFL in forced threeand- out percentage (30.6) and helped give the offense the second best average starting field position in the NFL.

In 2007, Pees' defense contributed to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history. The Patriots defense allowed 274 points, marking the fourth time in the previous five seasons (since 2003) that New England has allowed fewer than 275 points in a season. The 2007 Patriots ranked fourth in the league in yards allowed per game (288.3), the fewest allowed by a Patriots defense in 28 years, and second in the league in sacks (47). The Patriots defense sent three starters to the Pro Bowl (LB Mike Vrabel, NT Vince Wilfork and CB Asante Samuel).

In his first season as defensive coordinator in 2006, Pees' defense set a franchise record for points allowed per game, giving up an average of just 14.81 points per opponent as the Patriots finished 12-4 and at the top of the AFC East. The New England defense was fourth in the NFL in takeaways and first in opponents' fourth down conversion percentage. The Patriots defense was also second in the league in opponent passer rating. Pees' defense steadily improved over the course of the season, and remained in the NFL's top 10 in total defense for the entire second half of the season. The Patriots finished second in the league in points allowed in 2006.

In 2005, Pees tutored a Patriots linebackers unit that featured three of the defense's top five tacklers and accounted for 22 of the team's 33 sacks. Mike Vrabel transitioned from outside linebacker to inside linebacker during the season and paced the team with a career-high 114 tackles (80 solo), while Rosevelt Colvin's 73 tackles (49 solo) marked the second highest total of his career and placed fourth on the team. Tedy Bruschi, who missed the first six games of the season while recovering from a stroke, placed fifth on the team with 72 tackles (38 solo) despite playing in just nine games.

Unfortuantely, im willing to bet the Patriots offense put up more than 10 points a game correct? :lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-19-2010, 08:07 AM
The majority of people around here would rather have "average talent" than win playoff games.

Silky, I just have absolutely no idea where you get any of your info about McDaniels or Peas "knowing football" and how they'll make this team so great. McDaniels was an assistant to a great head coach. Right now, he's no better than Crennel, Mangina, Weis, or any other Bellichick prodigies. What do you know that we don't that proves McDaniels is some genius prodigy who is so much better than any other coach?

"Average talent" is that supposed to mean Mike Nolan? So, Peas is some kind of elite DC and Mike Nolan is no good, now?

I'm really having a hard time taking anything you say about McDaniels seriously because you above all, are the biggest apologist for everything the guy does. McDaniels can do no wrong and nothing that has happened during the season or since it ended is his fault and if it is, it's all part of his "master plan" to make us better? Bring in Nolan for one year and then get rid of him for a book-licking Bellistooge to make the team better? Really?

claymore
01-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Silky, I just have absolutely no idea where you get any of your info about McDaniels or Peas "knowing football" and how they'll make this team so great. McDaniels was an assistant to a great head coach. Right now, he's no better than Crennel, Mangina, Weis, or any other Bellichick prodigies. What do you know that we don't that proves McDaniels is some genius prodigy who is so much better than any other coach?

"Average talent" is that supposed to mean Mike Nolan? So, Peas is some kind of elite DC and Mike Nolan is no good, now?

I'm really having a hard time taking anything you say about McDaniels seriously because you above all, are the biggest apologist for everything the guy does. McDaniels can do no wrong and nothing that has happened during the season or since it ended is his fault and if it is, it's all part of his "master plan" to make us better? Bring in Nolan for one year and then get rid of him for a book-licking Bellistooge to make the team better? Really?
"McDaniels is just another p r i c k off the BB prickly pear tree."

If Pee's knew football he would have been snatched up like all of the other BB diciples. But he was fired. He was a DC like McCoy is our OC. By name only. BB runs that defense.

I feel like Im in a bad dream.

e-Lou-sive1
01-19-2010, 08:43 AM
I just hope that Mc D knows what he's doing bring in former Patriots to build his dynasty what a shock.Mc D needs to stop this revolving door philosphy because there are not many head coaches that part ways assistant coaches after their first year."If at first you don't succeed destroy all evidence"what a concept.I don't know how much confidence Bowlen has in McD to allow him to come in and change the team around after going 8-8 because obviously Bowlen is giving him enough rope to hang himself. I really didn't see too many problems with the defense but more with ineffectiveness of the offense going 3 and out/failing to score in the red zone/turning the ball over after putting together a decent drive.The defense has done everything they could have done and sooner or later they will become frustrated and lose their edge thinking the offense has given up.We had a better defense than a better offense so here is another change in the wrong direction.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-19-2010, 08:45 AM

If Pee's knew football he would have been snatched up like all of the other BB diciples. But he was fired. He was a DC like McCoy is our OC. By name only. BB runs that defense.

I know that, clay. I'm just still astounded that anyone in their right mind can see us losing the DC that took us from the bottom of the league in defense to #7 in one year as a good thing, an improvement, or some method to actually praise McDaniels' performance as a HC. It boggles the mind!

CoachChaz
01-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Nothing was ever official, but the closest truth I could find is that he left to spend time with his family. Maybe that's code for being fired...I dont know. I assume the haters will look at it that way in order to feed their argument, but nevertheless...why the hell are we debating the abilities of a coach that isnt even employed by our team?

claymore
01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I know that, clay. I'm just still astounded that anyone in their right mind can see us losing the DC that took us from the bottom of the league in defense to #7 in one year as a good thing, an improvement, or some method to actually praise McDaniels' performance as a HC. It boggles the mind!The optimisim in this scenario is starting to become naiveity.

But.... I have finally came up with a real optimistic thought for us "naysayers".

The lattitude that Bowlen has shown JMCD will surely tell another quality future Bronco HC he has full run of our house. Meaning the owner isnt going to meddle, he will let you hang yourself.

claymore
01-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Nothing was ever official, but the closest truth I could find is that he left to spend time with his family. Maybe that's code for being fired...I dont know. I assume the haters will look at it that way in order to feed their argument, but nevertheless...why the hell are we debating the abilities of a coach that isnt even employed by our team?

I thought I read he was fired. But I could be mistaken. If he comes to us, I guess he didnt like spending time with his family.

CoachChaz
01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
I thought I read he was fired. But I could be mistaken. If he comes to us, I guess he didnt like spending time with his family.

Well...if he coached for any other team, I think most would say he was a viable option. 2009 wasnt a great year for him, but when the HC keeps trading away your best players and pass-rushers...it's going to be tough.

As far as the rest of the story...I need to hear more. McD is an emotional guy and Nolan has always been a little quirky. It'll be interesting to see how it all develops.

claymore
01-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Well...if he coached for any other team, I think most would say he was a viable option. 2009 wasnt a great year for him, but when the HC keeps trading away your best players and pass-rushers...it's going to be tough.

As far as the rest of the story...I need to hear more. McD is an emotional guy and Nolan has always been a little quirky. It'll be interesting to see how it all develops.
Yes it will. I know Ive been on the far right for most of this whole thing, but IMO its hard to deny that this is all more than a coincidence.

CoachChaz
01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Yes it will. I know Ive been on the far right for most of this whole thing, but IMO its hard to deny that this is all more than a coincidence.

I dont see it that way. Turner and Dennison took promotions to go to situations and positions they are more comfortable and familiar with and we really dont know the deal with Nolan...who we have to admit...is a quirky kind of guy.

Nomad
01-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Other than this Pees fella, who out there would be a worthy DC to bring in???

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:19 AM
I dont see it that way. Turner and Dennison took promotions to go to situations and positions they are more comfortable and familiar with and we really dont know the deal with Nolan...who we have to admit...is a quirky kind of guy.

Turner and Dennison arent even on my radar. I am of the thought that they were both terrible matches here under JMCD anyway. I didnt root for them to stay, and was happy when they left.

Love them, but they needed to go.

What I meant was every contriversional decision, goodmans, cutler, alphonso pick, marshall benching, hillis, Sheffler, press conferences,,,, All of it comes back to a rookie HC.

He is at the end of his rope IMO.

CoachChaz
01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Turner and Dennison arent even on my radar. I am of the thought that they were both terrible matches here under JMCD anyway. I didnt root for them to stay, and was happy when they left.

Love them, but they needed to go.

What I meant was every contriversional decision, goodmans, cutler, alphonso pick, marshall benching, hillis, Sheffler, press conferences,,,, All of it comes back to a rookie HC.

He is at the end of his rope IMO.

Cutler was a baby that went to another team and proved NOTHING. Marshall earned his benching, Hillis didnt get the short yardage in his limited opportunities either, Sheffler said the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I dont see how being a rookie HC really had anything to do with these scenarios. Press conferences...I'll chalk that up to inexperience along with you and the Smith pick...I guess we'll see what happens.

claymore
01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Cutler was a baby that went to another team and proved NOTHING. Marshall earned his benching, Hillis didnt get the short yardage in his limited opportunities either, Sheffler said the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I dont see how being a rookie HC really had anything to do with these scenarios. Press conferences...I'll chalk that up to inexperience along with you and the Smith pick...I guess we'll see what happens.

I still dont see the Cutler is a baby stuff. But I guess folks will find a way to blame this on Nolan as well.

If you dont see a pattern then I guess we just view things differently.

Nomad
01-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Cutler (the whiny baby) and Marshall (I can't keep out of trouble in the offseason) dug their own graves. I fail to see why fans are on their jocks so much!!

Jaws
01-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Nolan leaves.
Dogfish is about to move to Denver.
Dogfish knows D.
Is there something you're not telling us Dog? ;)

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Pees is not the answer, our best bet is Martindale. Also, for the people being critical of Nolan look what he did with the talent he had as oppossed to what Mcd did with the talent he had. Add to it our defense was on the field way too much this season thanks to Mcd's inpet offense. The best coach we had just jumped shipped and Miami jumped all over him in a hurry.

CoachChaz
01-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Pees is not the answer, our best bet is Martindale. Also, for the people being critical of Nolan look what he did with the talent he had as oppossed to what Mcd did with the talent he had. Add to it our defense was on the field way too much this season thanks to Mcd's inpet offense. The best coach we had just jumped shipped and Miami jumped all over him in a hurry.

or...he preferred Miami and had a deal before he left. It's ALL speculation at this time

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
or...he preferred Miami and had a deal before he left. It's ALL speculation at this time

He wanted out for a reason. The Denver Post is reporting phylisophical differences after a meeting on Monday. If Miami would have contacted Nolan Mcd would have cried foul, he didn't.

CoachChaz
01-19-2010, 09:56 AM
He wanted out for a reason. The Denver Post is reporting phylisophical differences after a meeting on Monday. If Miami would have contacted Nolan Mcd would have cried foul, he didn't.

Maybe he goes to McD and says "I prefer to live in Miami" and McD says "fine...go if you dont want to be here".

See...I can twist the facts to favor an argument too...if I tried.

Nomad
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Maybe he goes to McD and says "I prefer to live in Miami" and McD says "fine...go if you dont want to be here".

I know the BRONCOS don't owe us any explanations of why or how they are running the team, but it would be nice to hear from McD, Xanders, or Bowlen of what has gone down in the last few weeks!!

Jaws
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Google ads (http://www.danbradbury.com/deathofcoaching/?ls=adwords&gclid=CI_WgfjcsJ8CFRlr4wodZWx_1Q) for threads such as this one seem to have grasped the state of affairs!

frauschieze
01-19-2010, 10:12 AM

At this early juncture, it sounds like a control issue:

Although McDaniels and Nolan never previously worked together, they were introduced through their mutual agent, Bob LaMonte. By all accounts, McDaniels and Nolan got along fine through the good times of their 6-0 start and during the rough period of their miserable 2-8 finish. They did not argue or butt heads.

According to an NFL source, the relationship between McDaniels and Nolan, while not contentious, began to gradually develop an irritant, like a scratch that wouldn't stop itching. Nolan believed he would have more autonomous control of the defense. And McDaniels, like Belichick, is a head coach who oversees all phases of a football operation.

And that's a perfectly reasonable explanation. But it does worry me that McD appears to have problems playing well with others. If it was just Nolan, I wouldn't see it as a problem.

NightTrainLayne
01-19-2010, 10:36 AM
this is true, but in all fairness, look what the guy had to work with here-- all things considered, i'd say he did a pretty amazing job. . . it's not easy to play nasty defense when you've got the three stooges and father time as your defensive end rotation and san fran's old third stringer on the nose. . . you can only get so far with smoke and mirrors in the big leagues, and scheme and play calling only go so far when you have average at best talent-- or when your old guys start wearing out late in the year, which was one of my big concerns with the veteran group we put together. . .

edit: i WAS really looking forward to seeing what nolan could do with another year to rework the defensive roster, develop last year's rooks and add more talent through the draft/FA. . . so friggin' much for that!

maybe i should start a poll about what we'll get for brandon marshall to help keep those offseason blues at bay?

:lol::doh:

Oh, I agree with you 100% Dogfish. I was looking forward to what Nolan could do after another off-season.

I was merely trying to point out the un-fairness of just picking a few games out of a coach's resume and using that as a measuring stick. It's not a good means of analysis.

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I know the BRONCOS don't owe us any explanations of why or how they are running the team, but it would be nice to hear from McD, Xanders, or Bowlen of what has gone down in the last few weeks!!

They are in a meeting with Cowher. When they are done, they will let you know.

JONtheBRONCO
01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm just done with all the drama and even though I dislike seeing Nolan go, Pees isn't chopped liver.

This really isn't a big surprise and it shouldn't be to anyone.

McD obviously wants full say in what he team will look like, from the playbook, to the players, to the coaches. If he has to part ways with coaches/players close to the fans in Denver (Jay Cutler, Brandon Marhshall, Tony Scheffler, Bobby Turner, Dennison Nolan, etc.) then so be it. He obviously is going to take the risk, whether those are great coaches and players, it is his vision. And thats the thing. McD has his vision, and it consists of replicating the way the New England Patriots play and go about football. He is going to build his team, that he wants specifically, and put it to the test. It's part of being a coach, its part of starting a business, a franchise, its part of putting YOUR plan in place. This is what he wants to do and he's going to bring in the people he wants. I can only hope it works out. GO BRONCOS!

rationalfan
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
You have to be nuts to think Nolan did a bad job last year.

i counter with you'd have to be nuts to not question nolan's supposed "great job" with the broncos. two easy cases in point: allowing the hapless raiders to execute a game-winning drive and allowing KC's charles to run over the team like he was barry sanders.

nolan did a fine job, for a while. but he tanked as much as mcd, the players or the fans who sold their tickets to pittsburgh fans.

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 11:53 AM
i counter with you'd have to be nuts to not question nolan's supposed "great job" with the broncos. two easy cases in point: allowing the hapless raiders to execute a game-winning drive and allowing KC's charles to run over the team like he was barry sanders.

nolan did a fine job, for a while. but he tanked as much as mcd, the players or the fans who sold their tickets to pittsburgh fans.

Nolan did a fantastic job with the talent he had, he was by far our best coach. Look what he did with the talent he had vs what Mcd did with what he had. It's no wonder our defense wore down with how often our offense put them on the field. Nolan didn't tank at all, the players were in postion to make plays, they just didn't.

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Pees "likely" to soon be named Broncos defensive coordinator (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/19/pees-likely-to-soon-be-named-broncos-defensive-coordinator/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 19, 2010 11:38 AM ET
It looks like Josh McDaniels knew exactly who was going to replace Mike Nolan when the two men decided to "mutually part ways" Tuesday.

The Denver Post writes that the Broncos are "likely to soon name" former Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees as the team's new defensive chief. (Florio mentioned the possible reunion (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/18/mcdaniels-pees-could-be-reuniting/) last night.)

The official announcement of Pees' hiring could be slightly delayed by contractual issues. Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston reported last week (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4826721) that Pees' contract with the Patriots lasted until the end of January.

In Denver, not a lot has been said yet about Nolan's abrupt departure.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post put it this way: "As the Broncos' confusing 2009 season wore on, Josh McDaniels and Mike Nolan began to realize that aside from their agent, they didn't have much in common."

Nolan and McDaniels both have strong personalities and philosophies and it appears they couldn't co-exist for too long.

McDaniels will continue to bring in "his guys" for his roster and coaching staff as he enters his second pressure-packed offseason as a head coach.

dogfish
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Nolan leaves.
Dogfish is about to move to Denver.
Dogfish knows D.
Is there something you're not telling us Dog? ;)

rolando mcclain in the first and arthur jones in the third-- and look for a lot of blitzing next year. . .

sssh, don't tell anyone!

dogfish
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM

change that to "i prefer to coach in miami," and it may well be the case-- sounds like it, IMO. . . i think a lot of us are becoming concerned about the number of people who apparently don't want to be here. . . i hope it works out, and specifically i hope pees doesn't suck monkey nads. . .

I'm just done with all the drama and even though I dislike seeing Nolan go, Pees isn't chopped liver.

This really isn't a big surprise and it shouldn't be to anyone.

McD obviously wants full say in what he team will look like, from the playbook, to the players, to the coaches. If he has to part ways with coaches/players close to the fans in Denver (Jay Cutler, Brandon Marhshall, Tony Scheffler, Bobby Turner, Dennison Nolan, etc.) then so be it. He obviously is going to take the risk, whether those are great coaches and players, it is his vision. And thats the thing. McD has his vision, and it consists of replicating the way the New England Patriots play and go about football. He is going to build his team, that he wants specifically, and put it to the test. It's part of being a coach, its part of starting a business, a franchise, its part of putting YOUR plan in place. This is what he wants to do and he's going to bring in the people he wants. I can only hope it works out. GO BRONCOS!

don't forget that he's the one who brought in nolan. . . i don't think anyone should begrudge him the chance to put his own staff in place, but he needs to get it done and try to find people who aren't going to all want out the next year-- or find a way to not alienate them, or find a way to keep them around, whatever. . . this constant change ISN'T the way to build a winning program. . . we need some kind of consistency, and bringing in a 60-year-old guy with health problems just looks like another short term fix who'll have to be replaced again in a couple of years, if that. . .

broncobro4
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm new here but this is the last straw.... McDaniels can't get along with ANYBODY!!!! Period!!!!!!!!... He is poisoning a once proud franchise... This team was in position to take hold of the AFC West for the next Three years... Now he has come in to Denver and is destroying it.... Please don't compare this BOY cause that is what he is a BOY...to the great coach Shanahan. McDaniels is a first year coach who has nothing to show but an 8-8 record PERIOD!!! He is no genius!!! He is a KID who needs to learn how to get along with other people... WE NEED to HIRE JON GURDEN quickly before we go down to the level of Detroit!!! The line is still in tact to ZB.. He needs a QB what we had....but now need to find again.....PLEASE Mr. Bowlen get rid of this Cancer!!!! Before B Marsh Doom and probably Champ leaves.... The only thing McDaniels coaches good is a QB... His success was on the shoulders of a guy Called TOM BRADY. not his system!!!

He needs to be understanding in order to gain knowledge!!!!! Instead its his way or no way.. Look at the Great Coach Belichick he is understand adobts to situations he had 3 SUPER RING'S!!!! He might have came from his system but he is not bringing it to DENVER.. KC is going to fair better than WE are.. WEIS and ROMEO... Need i say more...

rationalfan
01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Nolan did a fantastic job with the talent he had, he was by far our best coach. Look what he did with the talent he had vs what Mcd did with what he had. It's no wonder our defense wore down with how often our offense put them on the field. Nolan didn't tank at all, the players were in postion to make plays, they just didn't.

why do so many football fans side with the players? in the era of free agency and ego-driven holdouts, the players turn over much more than the coaches. i can't figure it out. is it the assumption that players give more of themselves than coaches (not true, by the way)? or are there just too many former players who didn't like their coaches?

back on nolan: while i don't think nolan did a terrible job, i think much of the praise directed at him comes from the fact that people don't want to credit mcd. rather than suggest mcd had worthwhile input into a defense that started strong, people expect it's all nolan's genius. truthfully, i don't know who did what with the defense at what time of year. but by considering the fact that mcd's a VERY hands-on coach it's easy to assume he had as much input into the defense's turn around as nolan did.

besides, i was never too keen on nolan (i wanted capers as the d coordinator). if i remember right, his time as baltimore's d coordinator was less successsful than marvin lewis' or rex ryan's.

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
why do so many football fans side with the players? in the era of free agency and ego-driven holdouts, the players turn over much more than the coaches. i can't figure it out. is it the assumption that players give more of themselves than coaches (not true, by the way)? or are there just too many former players who didn't like their coaches?

back on nolan: while i don't think nolan did a terrible job, i think much of the praise directed at him comes from the fact that people don't want to credit mcd. rather than suggest mcd had worthwhile input into a defense that started strong, people expect it's all nolan's genius. truthfully, i don't know who did what with the defense at what time of year. but by considering the fact that mcd's a VERY hands-on coach it's easy to assume he had as much input into the defense's turn around as nolan did.

besides, i was never too keen on nolan (i wanted capers as the d coordinator). if i remember right, his time as baltimore's d coordinator was less successsful than marvin lewis' or rex ryan's.

Less than 24 hours later Nolan has been signed by the Big Tuna in Miami, trust me, that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't the best DC available. Now the door is open for yet another scrub Patriot.

CoachChaz
01-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Less than 24 hours later Nolan has been signed by the Big Tuna in Miami, trust me, that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't the best DC available. Now the door is open for yet another scrub Patriot.

Also wouldnt have happened in less than 24 hours if Nolan didnt already have it in his head that he preferred Miami to Denver. Let's not overlook some of the things that make you go HMMMM just because they dont play well into our personal arguments

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Also wouldnt have happened in less than 24 hours if Nolan didnt already have it in his head that he preferred Miami to Denver. Let's not overlook some of the things that make you go HMMMM just because they dont play well into our personal arguments

And why would a coach who has made his love for the city of Denver known want to leave? Especially when he received so much praise from the press and fans a like for the job he did this year? Miami asked for permission to talk to Nolan. Mcd could have squashed that if he wanted to keep him but he didn't with Pees on his radar. Do you think Mcd wouldn't cry foul if Miami had tampered with Nolan? Really? The obvious is Nolan became aware that Miami was intrested when Miami contacted Denver and asked for permission, a common practice in the league. The wispers out of Denver are saying Mcd and Nolan didn't get along, if this is true this is yet another person who had issues with Mcd. How many people is it going to take before some people wake up and realize our young coach lacks some very important skills required to be a succesfull coach in this league?

rationalfan
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
And why would a coach who has made his love for the city of Denver known want to leave? Especially when he received so much praise from the press and fans a like for the job he did this year? Miami asked for permission to talk to Nolan. Mcd could have squashed that if he wanted to keep him but he didn't with Pees on his radar. Do you think Mcd wouldn't cry foul if Miami had tampered with Nolan? Really? The obvious is Nolan became aware that Miami was intrested when Miami contacted Denver and asked for permission, a common practice in the league. The wispers out of Denver are saying Mcd and Nolan didn't get along, if this is true this is yet another person who had issues with Mcd. How many people is it going to take before some people wake up and realize our young coach lacks some very important skills required to be a succesfull coach in this league?

what coach doesn't proclaim his love for the city he's coaching in?