PDA

View Full Version : How long should Denver ride it out with Mcd?

broncofaninfla
01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Is this franchise headed in the right direction? How long should Denver employ Mcd as the head coach?

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
2 seasons.

He better not finish with a worse record next year.

We better have a playoff appearance in 2 years.

He better have some type of stability within the organization in 2 years as well.

Ravage!!!
01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
One more year. With all the drama he's brought in.. the getting rid of pro-bowl players. the dismantling of a up-n-coming stud offense.. and now watching the exodus of coaches..... it better be THIS year.

You can't simply dismantle soemthing good, and expect a ton of time to rebuild.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
One more year. With all the drama he's brought in.. the getting rid of pro-bowl players. the dismantling of a up-n-coming stud offense.. and now watching the exodus of coaches..... it better be THIS year.

LMAO

8-8 isn't "good". It's average.

titan
01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
This is starting to look like a Jim Zorn rerun in Washington. Zorn started 2008 with 6 wins 2 losses as the Redskins rookie head coach, finished 8-8, and the wheels fell off this year. I don't see McD surviving year 2 if the Broncos finish with a much worse record than this year (like 5-11)

camdisco24
01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Its simple.
2 seasons, then evaluate.
If we have winning records and make it back to the playoffs, keep em'. If he has a worse record and no playoff appearances, fire him the day the 2011 season ends.

nevcraw
01-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Exactly.. He really seems hellbent on giving himself the shortest leash possible.. if that's what he wants.. put up or shut up.. enough my bads just making the ****ing play..

broncofaninfla
01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I want to say give him one more season BUT how much more can we take. If we continue on this current track it could take YEARS to bring this team back. I've said it several times but there is one common denominator in all of the drama and discontent with Denver and that is Mcd.

getlynched47
01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
One more season. If that idiot can't get us to the playoffs..........he can ****.

And then we'll have to completely rebuild after he got rid of our QB, our franchise WR (Marshall is pretty much gone), and anybody else he stupidly gets rid of.

Northman
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I want to say give him one more season BUT how much more can we take. If we continue on this current track it could take YEARS to bring this team back. I've said it several times but there is one common denominator in all of the drama and discontent with Denver and that is Mcd.

Yea, at this point the team may never recover. Just too much change way to fast.

SR
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I say ride it out until the Broncos fail to sell out a home game.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 08:03 PM
In light of recent events, I would like to change my poll vote from 2 years to 3 years. That's just a raw deal McDaniels got with Nolan wanting to bolt for Miami.

broncofaninfla
01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
With so many coaches and players wanting out of Denver who is going to want in? Say what you will about Mcd all of this drama will affect Denver's ability to attract top tier coaches and free agents.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Who needs coaches and free agents when you have McGenius in X's and O's coaching.

getlynched47
01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
In light of recent events, I would like to change my poll vote from 2 years to 3 years. That's just a raw deal McDaniels got with Nolan wanting to bolt for Miami.

You would give him 3 years....even if we don't make the playoffs the next 2 seasons? Oh gosh :doh:

Timmy!
01-18-2010, 08:10 PM
You guys crack me up. The Broncos last made the playoffs in 05, won a single playoff game all decade, and people want to believe McD is dismantling an elite franchise. This has been a .500 team since 05. Guess what, it still is. I don't like Nolan leaving, in fact it pisses me off, but for as much credit as Nolan was getting early in the year, that 26th ranked run defense and division rivals running all over us (not to mention a certain Chiefs RB breaking their all time rushing mark for a game, in our house) doesn't exactly reflect a defensive genius. If it was McD that ran Nolan out it's upsetting, but I'd be willing to bet there is a whole lot more to the story than that. For better or worse, (because right now, it's neither), you gotta give a new coach at LEAST 2 years, I'd say 3. Especially when he actually exceeds 90% of peoples expectations the 1st year. I don't care how many people he rubs the wrong way, as long as the Broncos win. If they go 4-12 next year, we can all jump on McD. Time will tell.

Sometimes I think 1/2 the posters on this board need anger management therapy and have very quick trigger fingers. You should work in politics. :D

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 08:10 PM
You would give him 3 years....even if we don't make the playoffs the next 2 seasons? Oh gosh :doh:

Shanahan got 3 years without playoffs. He also basically got 6 years with soft finishing teams. AND he was established. Yea, I think you give a young offensive genius 3 years to round into one of the greatest head coaches in the history of the NFL.

Absolutely.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
You guys crack me up. The Broncos last made the playoffs in 05, won a single playoff game all decade, and people want to believe McD is dismantling an elite franchise. This has been a .500 team since 05. Guess what, it still is. I don't like Nolan leaving, in fact it pisses me off, but for as much credit as Nolan was getting early in the year, that 26th ranked run defense and division rival running all over us (not to mention a certain Chiefs RB breaking their all time rushing mark for a game, in our house) don't exactly reflect a defensive genius. If it was McD that ran Nolan out it's upsetting, but I'd be willing to bet there is a whole lot more to the story than that.

Sometimes I think 1/2 the posters on this board need anger management therapy and quick trigger fingers. You should work in politics. :D

Stop being so logical. It doesn't work around here.

broncofaninfla
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM

Doesn't it make you wonder why so many players and coaches want out of Denver? Look at the one common denominator in all of the drama Denver has had, it's Mcd. Nolan received a lot of praise from sports writers and fans alike for the remarkable job he did with our defense, a defense that still lacks talent in the DL. Nolans game planning and schemes were huge for us this year and he received a lot of praise for it...... just doesn't make sense for him to want out. With all of the drama surrounding Mcd you can't help but wonder if he is the reason Nolan bolted.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Doesn't it make you wonder why so many players and coaches want out of Denver? Look at the one common denominator in all of the drama Denver has had, it's Mcd. Nolan received a lot of praise from sports writers and fans alike for the remarkable job he did with our defense, a defense that still lacks talent in the DL. Nolans game planning and schemes were huge for us this year and he received a lot of praise for it...... just doesn't make sense for him to want out. With all of the drama surrounding Mcd you can't help but wonder if he is the reason Nolan bolted.

I think you're being absurd. Who wants out of Denver? Jay Cutler and Tony Scheffler? LMAO at you holding them higher than guys like Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, DJ Williams, Brandon Stokley, and a plethora of other gus the NFL has significantly high regard for that like, and resepct McD.

He wants to be a Head Coach, and he'll get that in Miami soon enough. It isn't that hard to figure out really.

weazel
01-18-2010, 08:56 PM
forget firing him... stand him up against a wall and stone him.

really, I just can't handle the guys attitude. He has no reason to act like hoodie, hoodie has had success, Mcd has had nothing.

nevcraw
01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I think you're being absurd. Who wants out of Denver? Jay Cutler and Tony Scheffler? LMAO at you holding them higher than guys like Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, DJ Williams, Brandon Stokley, and a plethora of other gus the NFL has significantly high regard for that like, and resepct McD.
He wants to be a Head Coach, and he'll get that in Miami soon enough. It isn't that hard to figure out really.

dude - why the need for name calling? what can't handling oposing views??

where'd you get these little tidbits of conjecture? from your reports?

EMB6903
01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
This team just finished 8-8 with a rookie head coach, new offensive and defensive scheme, and 60% of the roster was different from the year before. Most realistic Broncos fans expected a 6 win season at the most. Now that Nolan and him part ways (nobody has a clue why) and fans are wanting him out?

Amateurs.

EMB6903
01-18-2010, 09:11 PM

Nolan couldnt touch Sparano's jock as a head coach.

Superchop 7
01-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I would fire McDaniels in a New York minute.

JDL
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
You guys crack me up. The Broncos last made the playoffs in 05, won a single playoff game all decade, and people want to believe McD is dismantling an elite franchise. This has been a .500 team since 05. Guess what, it still is. I don't like Nolan leaving, in fact it pisses me off, but for as much credit as Nolan was getting early in the year, that 26th ranked run defense and division rivals running all over us (not to mention a certain Chiefs RB breaking their all time rushing mark for a game, in our house) doesn't exactly reflect a defensive genius. If it was McD that ran Nolan out it's upsetting, but I'd be willing to bet there is a whole lot more to the story than that. For better or worse, (because right now, it's neither), you gotta give a new coach at LEAST 2 years, I'd say 3. Especially when he actually exceeds 90% of peoples expectations the 1st year. I don't care how many people he rubs the wrong way, as long as the Broncos win. If they go 4-12 next year, we can all jump on McD. Time will tell.

Sometimes I think 1/2 the posters on this board need anger management therapy and have very quick trigger fingers. You should work in politics. :D

The point is that Denver was one of the class organizations of the league, always in the thick of the playoff hunt and really never a dog (even when they went 6-10, they went 6-6 down the stretch.) Yes, something had to change to get us over the hump into the next tier, but there were A LOT of worse off more dysfunctional franchises searching for their first non-losing season in an eternity in fans terms. Denver seemed to have something going on offense and went 8-8 with a D that was as bad as Denver's ever had... so naturally a lot of fans felt that just getting the D even respectable was all that was needed.

The truth is that we are now seen as a total circus and total lack of professional stability. The organization which, albeit wasn't achieving its prior standards, is now destabilized to the point that one has to SERIOUSLY wonder when we'll be lucky enough to see another 8-8 season... this is clearly NOT the way you build good franchises. It's not all on McDaniels, Bowlen simply made a horrendous judgement call and went with someone who quite simply was not ready to lead an organization. Say what you want, but he does not have the full respect of his team or coaches (no way a D-coordinator would walk out on an established and respected head coach like that... it would be the end of his career... but do to some as young and seemingly out of control of his team and he is viewed by his peers as making a good business decision... simply a lack of established credibility and respect.) I think McDaniels expected too much before he earned it. It is something I saw first hand with Whisenhunt here in Arizona... he didn't make big power plays early on, he was a young coach and he didn't take the approach he knew better. That's a bit of the Steelers team organization there versus the dictatorship of the Patriots... the dictator's shoes are mighty big and to take on basically GM and Head Coach of a class organization at 32? how can ANYONE be surprised he wasn't up to the task. Things have probably gotten too far away from him already to be able to recover... he's gone from trying to get a team over the hump to the precipice of blowing it completely up and having to do a total rebuild... well, he doesn't have time for that quite frankly ... I voted 1 year because I don't see how we go into rebuild mode and not come out with a 6-10 or 7-9 record at best... Bowlen's on the verge of losing the fans for the first time and quite frankly he cares more about those dollars than anything else at this point and that will ultimately talk.

I just hope when the axe falls there are enough good pieces still left to build something... anything.... I'm really hoping for draft picks in 2011 honestly... I'm scared of what we might do this year with the picks we get by selling players off.

JDL
01-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Ha ha... Stokely called McDaniels out the second he got here and dropped his good friend Mike Leach... he's a total pro and he was replaced by McDaniels guy as well as the #3 WR, he definitely wants out at this point... guaranteed.

Pretty much anyone on the offensive side.... and don't be surprised if Brian Dawkins retires. He'll be 37 years old next season... ancient for a safety... why would he want to stick around and spend his final year in a total rebuild? and facing a possible 2011 lockout. There's a reason guys like Ed Reed (much younger) are contemplating walking away from the game while they can still walk... Dawk battled a ton of injuries this year and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him not want to stick around.

nevcraw
01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
This team just finished 8-8 with a rookie head coach, new offensive and defensive scheme, and 60% of the roster was different from the year before. Most realistic Broncos fans expected a 6 win season at the most. Now that Nolan and him part ways (nobody has a clue why) and fans are wanting him out?

Amateurs.

yes when you slant the story that way, it would seem that we are all just little hard on the kid..
but when you consider the crappy job he did with the offense. the people person he has shown himself to be. the success in winning 2 out of the final 10 games. The coach's train heading out of town. and what most are readying themsleves for more talent leaving with none in the cupboard.. it doesnt seem that amateurish after all...

DenBronx
01-18-2010, 10:10 PM
doesnt matter.

pat is going to let this team be ran into the ground and it will move to los angeles.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 11:36 PM
dude - why the need for name calling? what can't handling oposing views??

where'd you get these little tidbits of conjecture? from your reports?

Name calling? Why are you trying to slander me?

These little tidbits aren't coming out of the woodworks. Denver's won 1 playoff game since 1999.

silkamilkamonico
01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Ha ha... Stokely called McDaniels out the second he got here and dropped his good friend Mike Leach... he's a total pro and he was replaced by McDaniels guy as well as the #3 WR, he definitely wants out at this point... guaranteed.

So what's your excuse with Dawkins and Bailey? Certainly you've recognized that they aren't only better players and team leaders, but they actually contributed this year.

Pretty much anyone on the offensive side.... and don't be surprised if Brian Dawkins retires. He'll be 37 years old next season... ancient for a safety... why would he want to stick around and spend his final year in a total rebuild? and facing a possible 2011 lockout. There's a reason guys like Ed Reed (much younger) are contemplating walking away from the game while they can still walk... Dawk battled a ton of injuries this year and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him not want to stick around.

LMAO Ed Reed has chronic neck issues. What next? Are you going to use Troy Aikman as an example of why NFL Qb's should retire early too?

Overtime
01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
i say 1 more season, we aren't going to get anyone worth a damn this year.

bcbronc
01-18-2010, 11:46 PM
where's the "forever" option?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Aren't two options the same - i.e. two more seasons, and let him coach his contract out?

hamrob
01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately for him and Bowlen...this is McDaniels make it or break it year. He either makes the playoffs or he's gone.

You can't be 32/33yrs old and cause all the turmoil that he has and not walk the walk. What's mystifying is how so many fans have bought into the crap that Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall are the problems and that Royal is really not that good and that...oh, yeah...Moreno was a smart pick and that, oh, yeah trading our #1 for Smith was wise...and that, oh yeah Ayers was a steal and that, oh, yeah...that Quinn guy, that nobody ever heard of, was a great choice in the 2nd round.

The bottom line is, he's screwed the pooch over and over again...because he is 32/33yrs old and **** and is learning how to be a headcoach at our expense.

We should all hope he pulls it together and we make the playoffs next year...because the kid has some balls and I think probably some potential. But, trying to defend him is absolutely insane!

dogfish
01-19-2010, 01:00 AM
where's the "forever" option?

i ate it. . .

OrangeHoof
01-19-2010, 03:54 AM
http://www.happyworker.com/files/image/june_cleaver_tn.jpg

"Ward, aren't you being a little hard on the Beaver?"

But, seriously folks, I'm surprised to be the voice of patience around here but you had to understand when he came here that Coach McEgo couldn't rebuild Rome in a day, right? That 6-0 start may be the worst thing to happen to him because it elevated expectations where they probably never belonged. Give him time to rebuild the roster with his own guys, running it his own way and see what comes out. If it's several losing seasons, send him to Kansas City so he can suckle Charlie Weis' clipboard awhile longer.

If he puts together a playoff team, most everyone here will change their tune.

OrangeHoof
01-19-2010, 04:02 AM
http://www.tvland.com/photogallery/photos/BeaverWallyplayball.jpg

"Well, gee, Wally. What do I do without a defensive coordinator?"

"You silly goofball. You go find another one to take his place."

"Better not be a girl!"

Lonestar
01-19-2010, 05:23 AM
LMAO

8-8 isn't "good". It's average.

on top of that we did not have any pro bowlers that he has gotten rid of. lets see last year casey was but he has stunk it up this year. jay well he proved this year that Rivers should have gotten it last year after all.

this year he has marshall, clady, dawkins and a couple of others IIRC. so far none have left.

if marshall does leave I do not see the real issue as he is always one police report away from 8 week suspension. plus he has shown his real colors in not showing up for many things including games that were important.

would rather have a FIRST and a THIRD..

MileHighCrew
01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
I voted to fire him now. There has been too much drama and too much of a "step backwards" under McD. This is the Denver Broncos, we may not win it every year but we have a shot every year Denver Broncos. This is the stability and foundation we expect form our team. We want to head into training camp thinking we have a chance, not wondering if we are competing with the Lions and Rams for #1 over all next year. This is the DENVER BRONCOS and I am sorry but McD is not a Broncos, he is a Partoit, he wants to be a Patroit and after a year in Denver he still is a Patroit. If the job in NE was to open up he would pull a Lane Kiffin in a heartbeat because he is a Patroit. I love the Broncos because of the things that make them the Broncos. The winning attitude, the insane and awesome fans and the fact they always have a chance and we know it. McD has taken that chance away and it is time to take it back. FIRE McDaniels

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Bring in Cowher.