PDA

View Full Version : Who succeeds Nolan?

rationalfan
01-18-2010, 06:45 PM
No idea, personally. But i'm sure some of the genius GMs on this board have a rolodex of available D coordinators.

Predictions?

NightTrainLayne
01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Sounds like the #1 guy on the list is Dean Pees according to the media speculation.

Ravage!!!
01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Well.. if we go by set patterns.....

Has to be someone very low to the floor, so they don't have to bend too far to kiss McD's shoes.

dogfish
01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Sounds like the #1 guy on the list is Dean Pees according to the media speculation.

it does make some sense because of the new england connection, but as far as i've seen that's only pure speculation from mike florio, which is worth virtually nothing. . .

my initial prediction is that i won't be the only one irritated by the condescending tone of the "genius GMs" comment. . . :rolleyes:

broncofaninfla
01-18-2010, 06:52 PM
It better not be Pees.........Then again, who would want to come here at this point???

jrelway
01-18-2010, 06:52 PM
change this threat title to "who succeeds mcdaniels?" thanks

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
it does make some sense because of the new england connection, but as far as i've seen that's only pure speculation from mike florio, which is worth virtually nothing. . .

my initial prediction is that i won't be the only one irritated by the condescending tone of the "genius GMs" comment. . . :rolleyes:

Well alot of people on this board think they know better than NFL GM's and coaching staffs, which is utterly laughable.

Ravage!!!
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
It better not be Pees.........Then again, who would want to come here at this point???

Pees, cause he was just fired

Ravage!!!
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Well alot of people on this board think they know better than NFL GM's and coaching staffs, which is utterly laughable.

I know that McD has never been a HC before this year, as well. So what makes you think he knows what he's doing? So far, its been utterly laughable

turftoad
I posted this in another thread but here it is again.

McDaniels, Pees could be reuniting
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2010 6:13 PM ET
As we process the surprising news that Mike Nolan has left the Broncos after one successful season, the most obvious candidate to replace him is former Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees.

Pees left the Patriots after the 2009 season, when his contract expired. There are differing accounts as to whether he left by choice.

Pees and McDaniels spent five years together in New England. During 2007's 18-0 start that ended with a loud thud, McDaniels ran the offense and Pees ran the defense.

If Pees goes to Denver, two sets of former Patriots coordinators would be inhabiting the AFC West; earlier this month, former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and former defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel joined the Chiefs.

broken12
nolan ryan, only ryan available! now looks like the brass made a mistake not hiring rex! this way you get a ryan and a nolan!

broncofaninfla
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Hopefully we consider Martindale, just wish he had some Patriot connection to help his chances.

weazel
01-18-2010, 08:59 PM
McD will create and call his own defensive plays, he is that good.

oops, correction... he THINKS he's that good.

broncophan
01-19-2010, 04:11 AM
I know that McD has never been a HC before this year, as well. So what makes you think he knows what he's doing? So far, its been utterly laughable

8-8 team record is not "utterly laughable".....esp. for a first year head coach.

Joe Collier...............

Nomad
01-19-2010, 10:42 AM
While Pees is rumored, I wonder if Monty Kiffin would come back if he and McDaniels could be mutually sound!!

I don't know who's out there, he's the first name to come to mind. hell i don't even remember if he ran a 3-4!!

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Cowher

Nomad
01-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Cowher

So have you been on the horn to discuss this with Cowher and Mr Bowlen??? Let us know what they say!!

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2010, 10:50 AM
So have you been on the horn to discuss this with Cowher and Mr Bowlen??? Let us know what they say!!

I will tweet you the info when we get out of this meeting!
Making all these "executive decisions" is tiring!!:D

Nomad
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I will tweet you the info when we get out of this meeting!
Making all these "executive decisions" is tiring!!:D

As long as he brings Dick LeBeau as well for assistant DC!!

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
As long as he brings Dick LeBeau as well for assistant DC!!

Dicks right here! He just got me a cup o' joe!
He says Howdy, and everythings "jim dandy"!
Should be no problem here in DEN going into next
season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:defense:

missingnumber7
01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
While Pees is rumored, I wonder if Monty Kiffin would come back if he and McDaniels could be mutually sound!!

I don't know who's out there, he's the first name to come to mind. hell i don't even remember if he ran a 3-4!!

Why would Kiffin leave the side of his son? He probably makes almost as much at USC as he would here.

Nomad
01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Why would Kiffin leave the side of his son? He probably makes almost as much at USC as he would here.

It was just a name I thought of... calm down fella!!! Any names floating around in your noggin??

dogfish
01-19-2010, 12:58 PM

nope-- kiffin's a pure tampa-2 guy, he was one of the innovators of the scheme along with dungy. . . hell of a coach, but he wouldn't fit here, and beast's right-- can't see him leaving SC while his kid's there. . .

in any case, it looks like pees is the guy. . . JMFMCD loves him some ex-pats, and it's ben reported that we're already working on a contract for him. . . doesn't look like we'll even look at anybody else. . .

missingnumber7
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
It was just a name I thought of... calm down fella!!! Any names floating around in your noggin??

Perfectly calm...but if you were as old as he is why would you leave a job like USC?

The only name floating around my head is Nolan.

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-lose-structure-with-Nolans-departure.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-lose-structure-with-Nolans-departure.html)

With new coordinator coming in, Denver will start over on defense — again.

I don’t like the idea of Mike Nolan leaving the Broncos.
Yes, we can sit here and speculate all we want about the comments from both Nolan and head coach Josh McDaniels, call it a “mutual agreement” and all the other nonsense that comes along when someone gets fired under the table — or leaves because of a better opportunity.
But, the bottom line here is that Denver just lost a very good defensive coordinator, only to be replaced by — shockingly — another Bill Belichick disciple from New England, as reports are that Dean Pees is on his way to Denver (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Pees-expected-to-join-Broncos.html).
The Broncos made a huge jump this season with some veteran additions that played well in Nolan’s scheme. I understand that the Denver defense did contribute to the club’s 2-8 finish after the 6-0 start, but the point here is that you have to have some sense of structure and stability as a football team.
And now, those defensive players who are returning have to start over with a new coach and a new scheme. It doesn’t matter what type of front Pees runs, because the terminology will be different, as will the meetings, the techniques and the way this team practices and prepares for Sundays.
It will all change, and the Broncos will start over again.
Is this what McDaniels wants, or is this a sign of a young coach who might be in a little over his head? Again, this is just speculation. But when you have the type of collapse the Broncos did after the hot start — with multiple bouquets being thrown your way — followed by the news of Nolan leaving town, it is hard not to wonder what is going on out there in Denver.
Nolan’s unit finished 7th in total defense this season. Veterans Brian Dawkins and Champ Bailey had excellent seasons in his scheme, from my perspective, and Elvis Dumervil produced big numbers. They were plus-7 in turnover ratio and were on the right track to installing a defense that could work hand-in-hand with McDaniels' offensive system.
Yes, the run defense was porous — especially in December — but that can be corrected over the course of an offseason, especially when the players know what to expect from their defensive coordinator going into mini-camps and OTAs.
Players want structure and good teams have that solid structure on both sides of the ball. But, that has been removed in Denver.
Time to hand new playbooks out in Denver for the defense — again.

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Pees "likely" to soon be named Broncos defensive coordinator
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 19, 2010 11:38 AM ET
It looks like Josh McDaniels knew exactly who was going to replace Mike Nolan when the two men decided to "mutually part ways" Tuesday.

The Denver Post writes that the Broncos are "likely to soon name" former Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees as the team's new defensive chief. (Florio mentioned the possible reunion last night.)

The official announcement of Pees' hiring could be slightly delayed by contractual issues. Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston reported last week that Pees' contract with the Patriots lasted until the end of January.

In Denver, not a lot has been said yet about Nolan's abrupt departure.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post put it this way: "As the Broncos' confusing 2009 season wore on, Josh McDaniels and Mike Nolan began to realize that aside from their agent, they didn't have much in common."

Nolan and McDaniels both have strong personalities and philosophies and it appears they couldn't co-exist for too long.

McDaniels will continue to bring in "his guys" for his roster and coaching staff as he enters his second pressure-packed offseason as a head coach.

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I wish Martindale had a Patriot connection so he would be considered, he is a far better candidate than Pees.

broncobro4
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm new here but this is the last straw.... McDaniels can't get along with ANYBODY!!!! Period!!!!!!!!... He is poisoning a once proud franchise... This team was in position to take hold of the AFC West for the next Three years... Now he has come in to Denver and is destroying it.... Please don't compare this BOY cause that is what he is a BOY...to the great coach Shanahan. McDaniels is a first year coach who has nothing to show but an 8-8 record PERIOD!!! He is no genius!!! He is a KID who needs to learn how to get along with other people... WE NEED to HIRE JON GURDEN quickly before we go down to the level of Detroit!!! The line is still in tact to ZB.. He needs a QB what we had....but now need to find again.....PLEASE Mr. Bowlen get rid of this Cancer!!!! Before B Marsh Doom and probably Champ leaves.... The only thing McDaniels coaches good is a QB... His success was on the shoulders of a guy Called TOM BRADY. not his system!!!

He needs to be understanding in order to gain knowledge!!!!! Instead its his way or no way.. Look at the Great Coach Belichick he is understand adobts to situations he had 3 SUPER RING'S!!!! He might have came from his system but he is not bringing it to DENVER.. KC is going to fair better than WE are.. WEIS and ROMEO... Need i say more...

dogfish
01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm new here but this is the last straw.... McDaniels can't get along with ANYBODY!!!! Period!!!!!!!!... He is poisoning a once proud franchise... This team was in position to take hold of the AFC West for the next Three years... Now he has come in to Denver and is destroying it.... Please don't compare this BOY cause that is what he is a BOY...to the great coach Shanahan. McDaniels is a first year coach who has nothing to show but an 8-8 record PERIOD!!! He is no genius!!! He is a KID who needs to learn how to get along with other people... WE NEED to HIRE JON GURDEN quickly before we go down to the level of Detroit!!! The line is still in tact to ZB.. He needs a QB what we had....but now need to find again.....PLEASE Mr. Bowlen get rid of this Cancer!!!! Before B Marsh Doom and probably Champ leaves.... The only thing McDaniels coaches good is a QB... His success was on the shoulders of a guy Called TOM BRADY. not his system!!!

He needs to be understanding in order to gain knowledge!!!!! Instead its his way or no way.. Look at the Great Coach Belichick he is understand adobts to situations he had 3 SUPER RING'S!!!! He might have came from his system but he is not bringing it to DENVER.. KC is going to fair better than WE are.. WEIS and ROMEO... Need i say more...

dude! can you please stop spamming this shit from thread to thread already? we heard ya the first time. . . . :tsk:

broncobro4
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Just want everyone to know that he is no where near Coach Shanahan or Belichick....He seems more of a college coach....

missingnumber7
01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
KC is going to fair better than WE are.. WEIS and ROMEO... Need i say more...

But they are still KC and they will still suck.

broncofaninfla
01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
But they are still KC and they will still suck.

As will every team trying to mimic New England. Sad thing is, KC is already better than us, they spanked us at home when Mcd fielded our "accountability" and "team first" players. Future looks bright huh?

missingnumber7
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
As will every team trying to mimic New England. Sad thing is, KC is already better than us, they spanked us at home when Mcd fielded our "accountability" and "team first" players. Future looks bright huh?

I'll let you know after training camp is over. But my idea for a bright future involves firing a current coach...seeing that it won't happen, I'm going to take what we have infront of us...and think that we have a good part of the pieces right now. Its like putting a puzzle together...when you think you should be done there are holes...ya look on the floor and you find what you are looking for, sometimes it fits, sometimes you have to slam a piece here or there, but in the end you end up with the picture thats on the box. I have never been a Marshall fan, I think and have always thought that he was a ME ME ME player. The whole accountability issues goes into all the crap that has surrounded this team from the Jay/McD issues in the offseason. There is a divide on this team that was finally coming close together when Dawk had his come to Jesus meeting. I didn't see a 'team' on the field towards the end of the season. But if you look at the whole mimicing thing...people copy success. Look at the group of 80's 49er's cronies that are out there. It just happens that some of them had success follow them and some didn't.