PDA

View Full Version : Teammates Tuned In

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9752

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For Robert Ayers, the 2010 season will offer its share of changes.

Topping that list is the absence of the word rookie next to his name.

In the process of cleaning out his locker after his inaugural campaign, Ayers found time to talk with Head Coach Josh McDaniels about his ambition to contribute more next season.

"He wants to have, obviously, more impact and do more," McDaniels said. "I think anytime you bring in a rookie and you put him in there and let him compete -- there are other players in there competing with him. That's a good thing."

As a rookie, Ayers jelled especially with one of those competing teammates. Ayers and Mario Haggan were amomg a host of individuals who vied for time during training camp at the outside linebacker/defensive end position.

Sharing neighboring lockers, Haggan earned one of the club's two starting spots. But every now and then, he still found time to look to his right, offering Ayers all the advice he could handle.

That guidance began when Ayers arrived for camp a week later than the rest of the rookies. Digging out of the early hole proved to be a tough task, but Haggan knew where Ayers was coming from.

"It was frustrating for him some days," Haggan said. "He just had to go to work. I told him 'Hey, man, it happens like that.' Everybody's not going to come right in the league and be productive right away."

As the 18th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, Ayers saw immediate time in the team's nickel packages. He finished his first pro season with 18 tackles, one start and one fumble recovery for a touchdown.

As the 228th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, Haggan appeared in only one game during his rookie season with the Bills. He advanced to 16 games played in 2004, finishing with similar numbers as Ayers did this season -- 18 tackles.

Five years later, Haggan was one of eight Broncos to start all 16 games, boasting career-highs with 51 tackles and three forced fumbles.

"He's been through a lot of ups and downs in his career," Ayers said. "To see the way he plays and the way he carries himself as a pro, it shows you how to do things."

Haggan's starter-captain combo was not handed to him for free. In his five seasons in Buffalo, he showcased his skills in a different dimension as a special-teams stalwart.

Regardless of whether he was playing on first down or fourth down, Haggan stressed to Ayers that his mental moxie stayed high.

"I told him to understand what he has ahead of him and no matter what guys write in the paper or what's said in the news, it's all about what's inside his heart," Haggan said. "If he's got it in his heart to be a good player, then he can do that. But if he let everybody else talk about what he has and hasn't done, it won't happen for him."

While the two linebackers have grown next to each other in the locker room and on the field, coaching has been integral in both of their spurts. When Ayers arrived at Dove Valley, linebackers coach Don Martindale showed no reserve in letting the rookie know his expectations.

"I'm going to coach you to be great and not good," said Ayers of Martindale's first words to him. "He took that role with me and everybody else in the linebackers group. He expects you to be great and he doesn't settle for anything less."

With that swagger in hand, Martindale did his part in making the "4" an active piece of the Broncos' 3-4 scheme. D.J. Williams led the club with 122 tackles. Elvis Dumervil led the NFL with 17.0 sacks. Haggan, Dumervil and Williams all tied for the team lead with three forced fumbles apiece.

To Haggan, players are modeled after their coaches. By that rule, it was Martindale's confidence that helped keep he and the rest of the linebackers thinking big.

"I've always had the never-give-up attitude," Haggan said. "But with Coach Martindale coming in and giving me an opportunity to put my talents on display, when you don't give up, there's a breakthrough."

With the rookie roadblock out of his way, Ayers is confident that his breakthrough is on the horizon. But his confidence is only enhanced by having a player next to him like Haggan.

"You're only a rookie once, and the things that I've learned are going to help me throughout the rest of my life, away from football and in football," Ayers said. "I've definitely learned a lot, I know what mistakes I've made and I know how to carry myself. Hopefully next year I'm going to pride myself on being a better pro."

Lonestar
01-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Mayock thought he was the best front 7 player in the draft. So if he does do better next year I'll be happy.

I saw him in the back field several times almost getting the sack after Doom had sealed the deal.

So perhaps his presence is going to be like the guy opposite of ware in Dallas. Frankly I believe consistent pressure from all 3 DL spots will open up these two for "havoc and mayhem" by the OLB's.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

CoachChaz
01-18-2010, 04:31 PM
It took Spencer a few years to get it all figured out in Dallas, but if Ayers can reach what Spencer has turned into...I wont complain