PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tackles Available in later Rounds

Npba900
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Here are a few DT's who will be available in the later rounds, and would make a great partner playing alongside with Marcus Thomas.

If Denver is serious about moving away from high priced veteran quick fixes and plans to rebuild the Defense thru the Draft, these guys would be of some help.

Nick Hayden (Sr.), Wisconsin

Hayden, a 6-foot-5, 301-pound versatile interior lineman, works extremely hard inside and is good against the run. He's a competitive defender who has good explosion off the snap. Hayden has quick feet, keeps his pad level low, and has good leverage against the opposition. He has a good motor and locates the ball quickly to make plays. Using great technique inside, Hayden's able to gain leverage against bigger opposition and gets in position to defend the run. Through six games he's made 23 tackles -- five for a loss -- and three sacks.

Boston College DT B.J. Raji

At 6-foot-1, 325-pounds, Raji is a big, physical interior lineman who commands a lot of attention. A good athlete who has a solid burst off the line, he plays with leverage, and bull rushes opponents up the field. Raji also has a quick first step and immediately penetrates upfield and makes plays in the backfield. With his great strength, he brings down the opposition with his initial push, gets off blocks very well and can handle double-teams. But there's an interesting twist about Raji and his draft status. He was ruled academically ineligible this season and was redshirted. Boston College is trying to convince him to come back for his senior season, but the risk of suffering an injury next year will only hurt his draft status even more. Expect Raji to enter the draft and be a high Day-Two selection.

James McClinton (Sr.), Kansas

McClinton, who's generously listed at 6 foot 1, 285 pounds, is an explosive interior lineman limited only by a lack of height. He has a quick first step, great balance, and great instincts. He has excellent lateral quickness and is able to change direction well. He plays with a high motor and is always around the ball. A great tackler who possesses outstanding closing speed, McClinton is a lineman who sheds blocks well, but tends to struggle against a bigger opposition. He has good technique and hand placement that gives him leverage. Through five games this season, McClinton has 26 tackles, eight tackles for a loss and two sacks. This defensive tackle out of Kansas has a chance to elevate his stock into Day One of next April's draft with a strong finish.

Jason Shirley (Sr.), Fresno State

A monster in the middle, Shirley, who's listed at 6 foot 5, 330 pounds, has the ability to take over a game with his physical play. He can take on a double team with ease, shed blocks, and make a play in the backfield. Shirley has great strength and gains instant leverage against the opposition, making it almost impossible to block him one-on-one. He holds his ground well and is tough to knock to the ground. Shirley's another player with an interesting footnote as he missed the first two games of the season for conduct detrimental to the team. It's unknown what Shirley did, but since his return he's played in three games and has collected seven tackles, four tackles for a loss and two sacks. He's a good prospect with excellent size, but he lacks proper technique. He relies on his raw strength too much and gets worn down as the game moves forward, so he'll need some coaching and will need to improve his conditioning to be successful at the pro level.

Frank Morton (Sr.), Tulane

Morton is a huge defensive tackle with a lot of promise. At 6 foot 2, 331 pounds, Morton has the ideal size to be a dominant run stuffer. He has flashes of dominance, but then he'll fade and become inconsistent. He plays low, gains leverage, and gets a quick initial push. He gets good penetration, but has to improve his footwork to get off blocks better. Morton has good instincts, displays a good burst into the backfield and is a hard worker -- but he has to improve his technique. A high ankle sprain to start the season hampered Morton

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Here is my guy...stopping the run is the problem. he will do that.

Ahtyba Rubin
Height: 6-23/4 | Weight: 315 | 40-Time: 5.22

Strengths:
Real strong and powerful...Has excellent bulk..Is stout at the point of attack...Can occupy multiple blockers...Has a terrific motor...Decent mobility and range...Does a fantastic job against the run...Really knows how to use his hands...Still improving.

Weaknesses:
Offers very little as a pass rusher...Not very quick or explosive...Needs to improve his technique and play with better leverage...Lacks stamina...Short...Was not very productive and didn't make a lot of plays...Only two years of Division I experience.

Notes:
First name is pronounced "ah-TAH-ba"...Spent two years at a JUCO (Trinity Valley C.C.) where he played both defensive and offensive line...An underrated prospect who doesn't get a lot of attention but will most likely be chosen much higher than people think...One-dimensional run-stuffer...May be a prototypical 3-4 nose tackle.

shank
03-01-2008, 01:11 AM
where can ahtyba be had in the draft? i know his name entered a lot of people's conscience at the combine....

BOSSHOGG30
03-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Guys I can see sliding back to the 4th round and on that I wouldn't mind taking a chance on...

Letroy Guion, Florida State
Frank Morton, Tulane
Frank Okam, Texas
Nick Hayden, Wisconsin
Carlton Powell, Virginia Tech

BOSSHOGG30
03-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Hayden has a 3-4 round grade after the combine
Jason Shirley has a 6th round grade
Ahtyba Rubin has been given a 2-3 round grade after the combine.

shank
03-01-2008, 01:21 AM
it'd be sweet if okam was there in the 4th considering guys wanted him at 12 but a few weeks ago...

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Okam is a slob...and he's soft. He told coaches at the combine that he wants to play at @320 (forget the exact number). He weighs 350...coaches were asking him why he doesn't weigh 320 now...not gonna help his draft stock to be 30lbs over his goal at the combine.

BigDaddyBronco
03-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Okam is a slob...and he's soft. He told coaches at the combine that he wants to play at @220 (forget the exact number). He weighs 250...coaches were asking him why he doesn't weigh 220 now...not gonna help his draft stock to be 30lbs over his goal at the combine.
Uh, I think you have some numbers wrong. I think you mean 320 lbs and 350 lbs. I think the last time Okam was at 220 lbs was when he was 15 or something.

Maybe he was in a accident and had his jaw wired shut or something. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Uh, I think you have some numbers wrong. I think you mean 320 lbs and 350 lbs. I think the last time Okam was at 220 lbs was when he was 15 or something.

Maybe he was in a accident and had his jaw wired shut or something. :D

nice catch...pretty soon I'll have no idea what yer talking about.

G_Money
03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I like Hayden as a late-round add.

Jason Shirley is somebody I was keeping an eye on, but he's too stupid for words. He got suspended from his team for DUI and hit-and-run, and then when they were re-instating him he got pulled over AGAIN for expired tags and driving without a license. IIRC anyway.

He's a moron - and self-destructive to boot.

I would take Okam in the 4th or 5th too. The talent is there, he's just not motivated. Wouldn't spend anything higher on him, but at some point the lower risk is worth the higher reward of his talent vs. other people's. Him hitting 60% of his ability due to lack of motivation is the same as another available DL in the 5th hitting almost all of his potential.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Eh, I don't think I wouldn't say Okam isn't a motivated guy. He's a 4.0 and he's law school bound. Unlike most of these guys, Okam has a bright life outside of football. Unless you're talking about being "motivated" to play football for a career; I wouldn't agree with that assessment.

Regarding Shirley, kid is an idiot. Have a friend out in California who knows the area quite well and worked with one of the Arena teams and those types of players are common for Fresno State. I wouldn't even take him as a FA. Not the kind of character I want on this team. No pun intended.

G_Money
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, good point - I meant motivated to be the best football player he can be. Okam's fine with being an all-right player. Which is a shame, because he has enough talent to BE great if properly motivated to work at it.

But in the 4th or 5th, it's not a large gamble - we're looking for a roleplayer/rotational player at that draft slot anyway. Okam can be at least that, with the opportunity to be a lot more.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah, good point - I meant motivated to be the best football player he can be. Okam's fine with being an all-right player. Which is a shame, because he has enough talent to BE great if properly motivated to work at it.

But in the 4th or 5th, it's not a large gamble - we're looking for a roleplayer/rotational player at that draft slot anyway. Okam can be at least that, with the opportunity to be a lot more.

~G

Oh absolutely, he's worth it there. :beer:

Hoshdude7
03-01-2008, 02:12 PM
If these guys are so good, why won't they be chosen in earlier rounds?

atwater27
03-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Ryan Clady 1st round, Kentwan Balmer 2nd, I'll be happy. Pat Sims or Trevor Laws would make me semi happy.

shank
03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Ryan Clady 1st round, Kentwan Balmer 2nd, I'll be happy. Pat Sims or Trevor Laws would make me semi happy.

balmer will be gone long before #42, especially since he added weight before the combine. you will be semi-happy at best.

Npba900
03-06-2008, 07:47 PM
The more DT's that drop to the later rounds, the more advantages to the Denver Broncos.

In fact, after Denver takes Stewart or Mendenhall with their 12th pick, I'd like to see Shanahan use Denver's next 6 picks by selecting (not necessarily in this order) 2 DT's, 2 DE's, and 2 Linebackers- 1 OLB and 1 MLB, with their pick in the 2nd round, and multiple picks in the 4th and 5th rounds.

This is how Denver should address their glaring weaknesses with their front 7. Perhaps out of the 6 draftees, Denver lands 3 impact Keepers!

As far as the O line goes especially the OT position, if Denver is really concerned about protecting Cutler's blindside, this should be addressed via FA. There are proven veteran tackles and guards who can come right in and provide expericence, consisitency and leadership immediately. As for the Guards and Tackles who have already been with Denver going on 3 or 4 years and haven't shown the ability to start and play well; then they probably won't ever get there! Meanwhile, Cutler is getting killed waiting for these guys to be the answer.

Remember, Brain Habib, Zimmerman, and Schelreth all who anchored the O line during the Super Bowl victories and who blocked for and allowed TD to have 3 consecutive Pro Bowl years and a 2000 yard season; were all proven veterans and were brought in as Free Agents!!!!.....not groomed thru the draft.

shank
03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
The more DT's that drop to the later rounds, the more advantages to the Denver Broncos.

In fact, after Denver takes Stewart or Mendenhall with their 12th pick, I'd like to see Shanahan use Denver's next 6 picks by selecting (not necessarily in this order) 2 DT's, 2 DE's, and 2 Linebackers- 1 OLB and 1 MLB. Without a 3rd pick this year.

Doesn't Denver have 3 picks in the 4th and 3 picks in the 5th? If so would be the best way to rebuild and address your DE, DE, OLB and MLB positions.

This is how Denver should address their glaring weaknesses with their front
7. Perhaps out of the 6 draftees, Denver lands 3 impact Keepers!

we have 2 4ths and 2 5ths. i wish we had more, cause there are quite a few players that will be around here that i really would like to see come here.

schmitt, zuttah, nelson, rubin, goff, woodyard, dizon, okam... i know there's more.

gobroncsnv
03-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Sounds like we're gonna be stuck with the Clint Mitchells of the draft again??? I really hope we can find a way to get an ALPHA male at DT... deep sigh. Another season of dline frustration, is kinda what it's starting to sound like.

Lonestar
03-08-2008, 01:14 AM

In fact, after Denver takes Stewart or Mendenhall with their 12th pick, I'd like to see Shanahan use Denver's next 6 picks by selecting (not necessarily in this order) 2 DT's, 2 DE's, and 2 Linebackers- 1 OLB and 1 MLB, with their pick in the 2nd round, and multiple picks in the 4th and 5th rounds.

This is how Denver should address their glaring weaknesses with their front 7. Perhaps out of the 6 draftees, Denver lands 3 impact Keepers!

As far as the O line goes especially the OT position, if Denver is really concerned about protecting Cutler's blindside, this should be addressed via FA. There are proven veteran tackles and guards who can come right in and provide expericence, consisitency and leadership immediately. As for the Guards and Tackles who have already been with Denver going on 3 or 4 years and haven't shown the ability to start and play well; then they probably won't ever get there! Meanwhile, Cutler is getting killed waiting for these guys to be the answer.

Remember, Brain Habib, Zimmerman, and Schelreth all who anchored the O line during the Super Bowl victories and who blocked for and allowed TD to have 3 consecutive Pro Bowl years and a 2000 yard season; were all proven veterans and were brought in as Free Agents!!!!.....not groomed thru the draft.

Which is totally contrary to what the owner of this franchise is desiring.. He wants to grow via the draft Not get stop gap two or three years high priced semi has beens to fill and immediate need..

Pat is looking long term unlike mikey who has trained us all to think one or two mega priced FA are going to lead us to the Superbowl this coming year..

When are Y'all gonna open your eyes read what is said and believe it?

When Pat says something it is probably going to happen.. He is not mikey who has lied to the fans for nigh on decade with his we are a couple of players away from going tot eh Superbowl hyperbole each year in his year ending Press conference..

Fan in Exile
03-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Please JR stop ripping on Mike Shanahan. He didn't lie to us, and it wasn't hyperbole. We were only a couple of players away and most people felt that way not just Shanahan. Even last year we had some great games and if we hadn't lost so many people to injury it would have gone so much better.

shank
03-08-2008, 02:48 PM
with no DTs in FA, i have decided to set my minimum acceptable limit for the draft at Trevor Laws.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Which is totally contrary to what the owner of this franchise is desiring.. He wants to grow via the draft Not get stop gap two or three years high priced semi has beens to fill and immediate need..

Pat is looking long term unlike mikey who has trained us all to think one or two mega priced FA are going to lead us to the Superbowl this coming year..

When Pat says something it is probably going to happen.. He is not mikey who has lied to the fans for nigh on decade with his we are a couple of players away from going tot eh Superbowl hyperbole each year in his year ending Press conference..

JR I'm with FIE on this Shanahan has not lied to the fans. If you're going to attack another person's integrity like that show some proof. Did ever cross your mind that maybe he has that kind of confidence in his team. Just because you don't like what he says and that you don't agree does not make him a liar. Also I don't talked down just because I'm willing to listen to what the man has to say. He's know a lot more football than we do.

lex
03-08-2008, 02:59 PM
with no DTs in FA, i have decided to set my minimum acceptable limit for the draft at Trevor Laws.

Thats who I like as well. Not long ago he was slotted as a 3rd. Now youre seeing 2nd or even possibly late 1st. I guess, if he's not there Pat Sims wouldnt be bad. I actually wouldnt mind Dre Moore. Too bad we dont have a 3rd.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I know some of you like Laws...but don't sleep on Rubin from Iowa State. He is in great physical shape and isn't yer typical fat and lazy big body. Dude is a tank. Our biggest issue was stopping the run and he can do that. He can also occupy blockers for our LBs to make plays.

Ahtyba Rubin

Strengths:
Real strong and powerful...Has excellent bulk..Is stout at the point of attack...Can occupy multiple blockers...Has a terrific motor...Decent mobility and range...Does a fantastic job against the run...Really knows how to use his hands...Still improving.

Weaknesses:
Offers very little as a pass rusher...Not very quick or explosive...Needs to improve his technique and play with better leverage...Lacks stamina...Short...Was not very productive and didn't make a lot of plays...Only two years of Division I experience.

Notes:
First name is pronounced "ah-TAH-ba"...Spent two years at a JUCO (Trinity Valley C.C.) where he played both defensive and offensive line...An underrated prospect who doesn't get a lot of attention but will most likely be chosen much higher than people think...One-dimensional run-stuffer...May be a prototypical 3-4 nose tackle.

shank
03-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I know some of you like Laws...but don't sleep on Rubin from Iowa State. He is in great physical shape and isn't yer typical fat and lazy big body. Dude is a tank. Our biggest issue was stopping the run and he can do that. He can also occupy blockers for our LBs to make plays.

Ahtyba Rubin

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

i really like rubin too. if we do any form of "saturation drafting" i would like it to be us drafting laws in the 2nd (hopefully he's still there) and rubin in the 4th. i think we'd instantly have a good DT rotation, and as the 2 rooks develop, it could turn into the best DT rotation we've had since i've been a bronco fan with thomas, laws, mckinley, and rubin. it would go from one of (if not the) worst position on our team to not being a problem at all. sounds nice...

mclark
03-10-2008, 11:42 AM
4th ROUND

Keilen Dykes, West Virginia;

Nick Hayden, Wisconsin;

James McClinton, Kansas;

5th ROUND

Carlton Powell, Virginia Tech.

Kevin Brown, UCLA;

Jason Shirley, Fresno State;

Carlos Feliciano, Maryland

6th ROUND

Ropati Pitoitua, Washington State;

Chris Norwell, Illinois;

Eric Foster, Rutgers;

Theo Horrocks, Vanderbilt;

Steve Coleman, Oklahoma

7th ROUND

Frank Okam, Texas;

J.T. Mapu Tennessee;

Michael Marquardt, Arizona State;

Aaron Johnson, Washington State;

Matt Malele, California

Has Frank Okam really fallen from the first to the seventh round in 3 months?

mclark
03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Remember, Brian Habib, Zimmerman, and Schelreth all who anchored the O line during the Super Bowl victories and who blocked for and allowed TD to have 3 consecutive Pro Bowl years and a 2000 yard season; were all proven veterans and were brought in as Free Agents!!!!.....not groomed thru the draft.

___

Habib was a Round 10 pick of the Washington Redskins. 1988.
Schlereth was a Round 10 pick of the Washington Redskins. 1989.
Zimmerman was a first round supplemental draft pick of the New York giants in 1984.

Signing free agent veteran offensive lineman is probably the way to go. We can do it this year also if we get busy.

Lonestar
03-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Remember, Brian Habib, Zimmerman, and Schelreth all who anchored the O line during the Super Bowl victories and who blocked for and allowed TD to have 3 consecutive Pro Bowl years and a 2000 yard season; were all proven veterans and were brought in as Free Agents!!!!.....not groomed thru the draft.

___

Habib was a Round 10 pick of the Washington Redskins. 1988.
Schlereth was a Round 10 pick of the Washington Redskins. 1989.
Zimmerman was a first round supplemental draft pick of the New York giants in 1984.

Signing free agent veteran offensive lineman is probably the way to go. We can do it this year also if we get busy.

Sure they were and this was during the infancy of the FAgent system . Mikey was a leader here but everyone else caught up in how to do it.. There are FEW cheap old FAs anymore..

More like over priced mediocre players..

Joel
03-12-2008, 07:15 AM
several of these SOUND good, for the very reason Rubin doesn't: Explosion and leverage. Raji and Shirley in particular seem remarkable for combining size well over 6' and 300 lbs. with good footwork, speed and blocking angles. Which makes me wonder why they fell so low; in Rajis case we have an explanation, but not the other. If they're there and this scout is accurate though, sure, heaven knows Thomas and McKinley need the help, as neither is the kind of hulking punisher these guys are.

Here are a few DT's who will be available in the later rounds, and would make a great partner playing alongside with Marcus Thomas.

If Denver is serious about moving away from high priced veteran quick fixes and plans to rebuild the Defense thru the Draft, these guys would be of some help.

Nick Hayden (Sr.), Wisconsin

Hayden, a 6-foot-5, 301-pound versatile interior lineman, works extremely hard inside and is good against the run. He's a competitive defender who has good explosion off the snap. Hayden has quick feet, keeps his pad level low, and has good leverage against the opposition. He has a good motor and locates the ball quickly to make plays. Using great technique inside, Hayden's able to gain leverage against bigger opposition and gets in position to defend the run. Through six games he's made 23 tackles -- five for a loss -- and three sacks.

Boston College DT B.J. Raji

At 6-foot-1, 325-pounds, Raji is a big, physical interior lineman who commands a lot of attention. A good athlete who has a solid burst off the line, he plays with leverage, and bull rushes opponents up the field. Raji also has a quick first step and immediately penetrates upfield and makes plays in the backfield. With his great strength, he brings down the opposition with his initial push, gets off blocks very well and can handle double-teams. But there's an interesting twist about Raji and his draft status. He was ruled academically ineligible this season and was redshirted. Boston College is trying to convince him to come back for his senior season, but the risk of suffering an injury next year will only hurt his draft status even more. Expect Raji to enter the draft and be a high Day-Two selection.

James McClinton (Sr.), Kansas

McClinton, who's generously listed at 6 foot 1, 285 pounds, is an explosive interior lineman limited only by a lack of height. He has a quick first step, great balance, and great instincts. He has excellent lateral quickness and is able to change direction well. He plays with a high motor and is always around the ball. A great tackler who possesses outstanding closing speed, McClinton is a lineman who sheds blocks well, but tends to struggle against a bigger opposition. He has good technique and hand placement that gives him leverage. Through five games this season, McClinton has 26 tackles, eight tackles for a loss and two sacks. This defensive tackle out of Kansas has a chance to elevate his stock into Day One of next April's draft with a strong finish.

Jason Shirley (Sr.), Fresno State

A monster in the middle, Shirley, who's listed at 6 foot 5, 330 pounds, has the ability to take over a game with his physical play. He can take on a double team with ease, shed blocks, and make a play in the backfield. Shirley has great strength and gains instant leverage against the opposition, making it almost impossible to block him one-on-one. He holds his ground well and is tough to knock to the ground. Shirley's another player with an interesting footnote as he missed the first two games of the season for conduct detrimental to the team. It's unknown what Shirley did, but since his return he's played in three games and has collected seven tackles, four tackles for a loss and two sacks. He's a good prospect with excellent size, but he lacks proper technique. He relies on his raw strength too much and gets worn down as the game moves forward, so he'll need some coaching and will need to improve his conditioning to be successful at the pro level.

Frank Morton (Sr.), Tulane

Morton is a huge defensive tackle with a lot of promise. At 6 foot 2, 331 pounds, Morton has the ideal size to be a dominant run stuffer. He has flashes of dominance, but then he'll fade and become inconsistent. He plays low, gains leverage, and gets a quick initial push. He gets good penetration, but has to improve his footwork to get off blocks better. Morton has good instincts, displays a good burst into the backfield and is a hard worker -- but he has to improve his technique. A high ankle sprain to start the season hampered Morton

broncosinindy
03-15-2008, 01:51 PM

I understand pat and happen to aggree and like what he is doing. But there is a good chance denver can add guys that are capable we just need to take less risk players I.E injury prone players, Trouble players with me first attitudes. Pat sounds like a guy who has been burned one to many times. which is undrstandable The team needs to put more empahsis on high character younger guys. might cost a boat load but shouldnt be problem guys

Lonestar
03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
I understand pat and happen to aggree and like what he is doing. But there is a good chance denver can add guys that are capable we just need to take less risk players I.E injury prone players, Trouble players with me first attitudes. Pat sounds like a guy who has been burned one to many times. which is undrstandable The team needs to put more empahsis on high character younger guys. might cost a boat load but shouldnt be problem guys

It has been a bucnch of times with mikeys huge FA busts over the years..

While a couple have turned out well, you have to wonder if these players are so great, why is the old team allowing them to get away?

NOW some are allowed to leave because of CAP limitations, and some are just flat ME players. One wonders why we feel we can turn the ME players into TEAM players..

Maybe we just can't build a team anymore from college players I do not know.

But I think we are going to start trying this year..

shank
03-26-2008, 02:51 PM
has atybha rubin launched himself all the way into the 3rd round?

i have seen several mocks lately with him going in the 3rd.

would anyone prefer rubin over marcus harrison? both would be able to play NT for us, and both seem like they'd be around in the 3rd, or do you think rubin will still drop to the 4th?

Joel
03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
It has been a bucnch of times with mikeys huge FA busts over the years..

While a couple have turned out well, you have to wonder if these players are so great, why is the old team allowing them to get away?

NOW some are allowed to leave because of CAP limitations, and some are just flat ME players. One wonders why we feel we can turn the ME players into TEAM players..

Maybe we just can't build a team anymore from college players I do not know.

But I think we are going to start trying this year..
I still wonder if it might be still more fundamental. When we were 13-3 and hosting the AFCCG there was reason to believe we were just one star player away from another title. It's a lot harder to believe that when you're 9-7 and then 7-9; that's an indicator you've got more significant problems you can't just throw $20 million at and eradicate. You've actually got some infrastructure to rebuild, and if that's the case it's going to take time and multiple players. In one of the most brutal full contact sports and the cap era, FA is just a stupid way to go about that; you'll pay through the nose and by the time you actually have your Championship team your Pro Bowlers will be banged up has beens on their way out of the game (Jerry Rice is in the HoF; Mania was where I learned we got then dumped him his last season.... )

That's especially true in the front seven; our line is one of the worst in the League statistically, and if we get Ekuban back and Crowder isn't ready to start yet we'll have a total of TWO starters left from the '06 front seven. I like our ends, and did even before Crowder and Moss got here, but we've gotten slim to nothing in the middle, and does anyone know who'll start at any of our LB slots right now...?

Bottom line is unless you've got an infinite cap you can't build a team effectively through FA, and even if you can it's much less expensive to use the draft. You look at the great dynasties and most were built with savvy drafts producing a dozen or two stars who played at the peak of their game for a decade or more. Not guys my age signing eight figure deals for two or three years and then retiring.

lex
03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
has atybha rubin launched himself all the way into the 3rd round?

i have seen several mocks lately with him going in the 3rd.

would anyone prefer rubin over marcus harrison? both would be able to play NT for us, and both seem like they'd be around in the 3rd, or do you think rubin will still drop to the 4th?

Marcus Harrison is all over the map. I hear people on tv saying he is a 1st or 2nd and then I look other places and I see as low as 5th. You dont often see that much variation in where guys are slotted.

One thing I think is happening is the draft boards are reflecting what happened in free agency where was DT was a position that received a big emphasis. A lot of the guys who were spread out from 1-5 have been compressed into 1-3 or 1-4.