PDA

View Full Version : Lynch is staying with the Broncos

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8411562

John Lynch is still a Bronco.

After an intense few days of negotiations, the Broncos and Lynch have come to an accord that will keep him in Denver this season.

The final year of the all-pro safety's contract was restructured but terms were not immediately known. Lynch was to be paid $3 million this season.

Lynch had been considering retirement but it became clear he wanted to play one more year. Still, as late as Thursday evening, it appeared he and the team would not come to an agreement and that he was on his way out. But after a day of discussions, Lynch, who will be 37 in September, came to terms.

The heart and soul of the Denver defense, Lynch has been to four Pro Bowls in four years with Denver and will remain a starting cog for the team.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 09:22 PM
And the crappy news keeps on a comin...

Hoshdude7
02-29-2008, 09:25 PM
:whoo::woot::dancing::2thumbs::dance:

broncosfanscott
02-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Good, now we need to draft a solid safety that Lynch can guide before he leaves the game. That would be sick if we could find a young Lynch/Atwater out there.

Escobar
02-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Can't wait till kellen winslow burns this guy with the AARP membership down the field for the touchdown.

JONtheBRONCO
02-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Can't wait till kellen winslow burns this guy with the AARP membership down the field for the touchdown.

Can't wait till Kellen Winslow rides a motorcycle again...

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 02:17 AM
wow this was the most horrible ending to a horrible day

xzn
03-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Good. Lynch can only help. I hope that we don't think that we are all set at Safety as a result though. We still need to draft and/or sign a guy who can be his replacement next year. Also, as another poster above noted, Lynch will be able to mentor said future stud.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-01-2008, 05:47 AM

LMFAO I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING.

Den21vsBal19
03-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Lynch'll make him wish he was only falling off the bike again ;)

dogfish
03-01-2008, 09:09 AM
ummm. . . . . yay?

MHCBill
03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
At least we'll be playing with 8 guys in the box...

Lynch better be the 8th guy because he's no centerfielder.

dogfish
03-01-2008, 09:12 AM
At least we'll be playing with 8 guys in the box...

Lynch better be the 8th guy because he's no centerfielder.

yea, but what if the other safety is sammy slow-ass knight. . . . ? :shocked:

:frusty:

seriously, can you imagine having to replace both of them in nickel and dime packages?

G_Money
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I expected this. Especially with our lack of leadership on the team with Rod being all but retired. We NEED somebody who can be a vocal leader on this team. Now Lynch is that for one more year.

Next, step: DRAFT A SAFETY. We've only been saying it for 2 years now. Get somebody in here who can learn for a year, play spot duty and take over full-time for John next year.

We'll get another year to see if Hamza is anything more than a backup, and another year for somebody on defense to step up into a leadership role. Champ is a by-example guy, Bly doesn't lead anything, DJ hates talking, Webster's never done anything that would let him lead, and everybody else is a baby or a role-player.

Gotta get some leaders in here. Hopefully we find a natural one in the draft as well.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 12:49 PM
G, you know that we won't draft one. Ted Sundquist said last year nobody could supplant the awesome Lynch and Ferguson, and with our depth - we were golden. . . He probably has that same mentality now. *sigh*

I hope we draft one, but I wouldn't put it past them getting a stop-gap like Sammy Knight and avoiding the problem again.

Buff
03-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Is the #12 slot too high for Kenny Phillips?

Suppose Clady is off the board.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Is the #12 slot too high for Kenny Phillips?

Suppose Clady is off the board.

Yep, and according to Willamson of the Post, Denver isn't too enamored with him.

Buff
03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Yep, and according to Willamson of the Post, Denver isn't too enamored with him.

Interesting, though, the post would probably have been reporting that the Broncos weren't too enamored with Jay Cutler this time 2 years ago... Plus, Williamson's a hack... Nevertheless, I don't know alot about Phillips other than he is the top Safety in the draft and he came out of the U (which most years would be good enough for me)...

Any other Eric Weddle types in this year's bunch?

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Any other Eric Weddle types in this year's bunch?

I'm not high on this class at all, Morgan (NC State) could be that Weddle type guy making a big move up the boards.

Denver actually sent LB and S position coaches to Mobile, so it's obvious we're looking hard at them; but I'm not sure who is a target. We talked to Adams out of Michigan, which seems about right. Average cover skill safety who hits like a truck. Seems to be our kind of guys, but then again, our coverage is more dependent on our good corners, so it sort of fits the idea.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I want Phillips at 12 and Jamie Silva of BC in round 5.

gobroncsnv
03-01-2008, 02:06 PM
We've already tried to fix the front 4 by fixing the defense's backfield. Why don't we try to fix the front 4 by just going ahead and fixing the front 4?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't want KP to fix the defensive line. I want KP to fix the 2 gaping holes in our secondary. Pay attention. We have ZERO sefeties right now. Teams usually like to play with 2.

jrelway
03-01-2008, 04:57 PM
i admire lynch for taking a paycut to look after his team and family. i just hope he doesnt start come opening season. WR's will have field days on us..especially if we dont upgrade our D line.

atwater27
03-01-2008, 05:46 PM

JONtheBRONCO P*WNSEscobar.

dogfish
03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Gotta get some leaders in here. Hopefully we find a natural one in the draft as well.

~G

that's a good point. . . IMO, one guy that would fit that description is dan connor-- not that he's my first choice by any means (unless we're able to trade back). . .

gobroncsnv
03-02-2008, 02:41 AM
I don't want KP to fix the defensive line. I want KP to fix the 2 gaping holes in our secondary. Pay attention. We have ZERO sefeties right now. Teams usually like to play with 2.

I paid attention to all 16 games last season. The defensive backfield problems absolutely PALE in comparison to our troubles at the line of scrimmage. Would you rather have the Giants front 4, or their safeties?

dogfish
03-02-2008, 02:49 AM
I paid attention to all 16 games last season. The defensive backfield problems absolutely PALE in comparison to our troubles at the line of scrimmage. Would you rather have the Giants front 4, or their safeties?

heh, i'll take it a lot further than that-- i'd take the giants D-line over bob sanders and troy polamalu or adrian wilson. . . . naturally you'd rather have top talent at both spots, but given the limited number of resources we have to plug holes with this year, IMO finishing the D-line is a much greater priority. . . if you get right down to it, i think we can get by with mediocre safety play, but if the line plays like last year the efense is NOT going to improve very much. . . . i think a good pass rush can have more impact on our coverage (and do more to cover up a mediocre at best group of LBs) than strong safety play can have against the run up the middle. . .

gobroncsnv
03-02-2008, 03:08 AM
Exactly!!! You just have to look at the last "drive" the Patsies had in the SB... Brady wasn't even completing his drops before getting SERIOUS pressure. I loved everything about it.

A Dline like that can make ANY qb look stupid. Brady got to see what Elway, Montana, Young, etc, got to look like when facing a MONSTER pass rush. We'll greatly improve when our opponents' QB's have to do the same. I'm not saying we have top of the line safeties, but if I had to go with one over the other, see my sig.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Don't change the subject. You said we were trying to fix the LINE by getting safeties. That's a dumb statement to make given the condition of our Sefeties. I never said we didn't need DLine help...I simply took issue w/ yer bad assessment that we would address it via the secondary.

dogfish
03-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Don't change the subject. You said we were trying to fix the LINE by getting safeties. That's a dumb statement to make given the condition of our Sefeties. I never said we didn't need DLine help...I simply took issue w/ yer bad assessment that we would address it via the secondary.

lol, smilin'. . . . "don't change the subject!"

what are you, his wife?

:lol:

sorry man, couldn't help it. . . .

gobroncsnv
03-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Stay with me, I'm thinking holistically here... My point is, we need to put our greatest resources into getting the best DT we can before we address ANY other position. You mentioned in your post to use our first (best) draft pick to get a safety. We disagree.
No doubt about it, we will need to do something about safety, because even if Lynch does have a GREAT year next year, he has to be on (I think) his last year in the league, and we'll need to bring in someone to be the hitter, the stop-gap, and great locker room presence that he is.
But in all of that, my point stands... Would you rather have the Giants' dline, or their DB's? What is the best thing we can do to upgrade our defense? You know where I stand. If you don't win this game at the line of scrimmage, you don't win this game. Getting a safety is a solid thing to do, but it is not nearly our largest need, IMO. We are paying for having ignored this since about 1999.