PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know...BOSS BAILEY

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 09:00 PM
So it seems that the possibility of us signing Boss Bailey is pretty realistic at this point. Given that, let's discuss...who IS Boss Bailey?

Bailey is Detroit's strongside linebacker, and he provides versatility, having played both inside and outside positions, in the linebacker corps with the use of his speed and talent. As a rookie in 2003, Bailey immediately became the Lions’ starter at strongside linebacker and started all 16 games, emerging as one of the top young linebackers in the NFL and showing the potential to be an all-pro. The Lions took Bailey in the second round with the 34th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 09:00 PM
2007: Bailey settled in at the starting strongside linebacker position. He registered 74 tackles (44 solo), 3.5 sacks and six special teams tackles (career high) on the year. His 3.5 sacks were a career high.
• Bailey played at strongside linebacker at Oakland, where he posted seven tackles (four solo), including one tackle for loss.
• Against Minnesota (9/16), Bailey started and posted 8 tackles (5 solo), and 1.5 sacks.
• Bailey made five tackles (two solo) and made one special teams tackle against Chicago (9/30).
• At Washington (10/7), Bailey made five tackles (two solo).
• Bailey made six tackles (two solo) at Chicago (10/28).
• Had a season-high nine tackles (six solo) and a pass defensed against Denver (11/4).
• Made six tackles (four solo) and had a sack (7 yards) against the New York Giants (11/18).
• Had two tackles (two solo) and three special teams tackles against Green Bay (11/22).
• Inactive against Dallas (12/9) due to flu.
• Returned to action at San Diego, recording eight tackles (four solo), including one tackle-for-loss.
• Notched a sack-fumble in addition to six tackles (five solo) against Kansas City (12/23).

2006: Bailey finished the season with 85 tackles (51 solo), one sack, three passes defensed and four special teams tackles. He played both outside and middle linebacker position (8 starts at SLB, 4 at MLB).
• He recorded at least five tackles in 10-of-16 games this season.
• Saw first action at middle linebacker in his pro career as a backup, posting six tackles (one solo) and one sack against the Seattle Seahawks (9/10).
• Bailey notched five tackles (two solo) and one pass breakup at Chicago (9/17) as he saw action in the linebacker rotation, and he notched two special teams tackles.
• Had six tackles (three solo) against Green Bay (9/24) while manning the middle linebacker spot.
• In his first start at middle linebacker, Bailey recorded a then season-high eight tackles (two solo) at St. Louis (10/1).
• Had a team and season-high 11 tackles (10 solo) at Minnesota (10/8), marking his fourth career game registering double-digit tackles.
• Led the team and tied his season-best 11 tackles (six solo) against Buffalo (10/15) for his second straight double-digit tackles performance.
• Moved to strong-side linebacker to make five tackles (four solo) vs. Atlanta (11/5).
• Had five tackles (four solo) at Arizona (11/19).
• Registered three tackles (two solo) and a pass breakup at New England (12/3).
• Made seven tackles (five solo) and one special teams tackle at Green Bay (12/17).

2005: Made his first starting appearance after missing the 2004 season recording 10 total tackles (6 solo) vs. Green Bay (9/11).
• Recorded 9 tackles (6 solo) and 1.0 sack for a loss of six yards at Chicago (9/18).
• Led the team in total tackles at Tampa Bay (10/2) with 10 (7 solo).
• Had his second career interception which he returned 34 yards for a touchdown vs. Carolina (10/16).
• Was second on the team in tackles (8) against Arizona (11/13) despite leaving the game in the third quarter with an ankle injury.
• Finished the season third on the team in total tackles with 75 (48 solo) despite being placed on Injured/Reserve on December 16, 2005 due to an ankle injury.

2004: Missed the entire season after sustaining a knee injury during training camp.
• Placed on Reserve/Injured list on December 16.

2003: Voted the team’s Mel Farr Rookie of the Year.
• Named to the ESPN.com and Football Digest all-rookie teams.
• Tied a then-career-high with nine tackles (eight solos) and had the first sack of his career on Chris Chandler at Chicago (10/26).
• Shared the team lead with nine tackles (five solos) against Oakland (11/2) as well as a pass defense and his first career forced fumble when he knocked the ball out of the hands of Marques Tuiasosopo.
• One of five finalists for the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week Award for his efforts against Chicago (11/9) after he collected seven solo tackles, a half-sack, a tackle-for-loss and two big pass defenses.
• Put together his best game of the season at Carolina (12/21) with a career and team-high 13 tackles (11 solos) and a 62-yard fumble return for a touchdown, his first career score. He earned Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week honors for his efforts against the Panthers and the 13 tackles put him over 100 for the season.
• Nominated for the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week after the game against St. Louis (12/28) when he had his first career interception as well as six tackles (five solos). His pick of Rams QB Marc Bulger led to a Jason Hanson field goal which put the Lions up 27-20.

Hoshdude7
02-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Well we have to fill up some holes in free agency, since it will be kind of hard to do it through the draft.
I approve.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Lions fans do not speak highly of him.

Escobar
02-29-2008, 09:29 PM

They don't speak highly of their team.

ikillz0mbies
02-29-2008, 09:30 PM
If its any consolation, he is Champ Bailey's brother.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
They don't speak highly of their team.

still a sad analogy...

Some quotes from their board when I asked about him:

"Unless he suddenly becomes football intelligent prepared to be disappointed if the Broncos pick him up."

"He's pretty much been a part time floor sweeper."

Scarface
02-29-2008, 09:33 PM

No, no they don't. But of course we're interested in him.:confused:

ChampWJ
03-01-2008, 01:23 AM
And he's a Georgia Bulldog! Seriously, he hasn't performed in Detroit the way he did at Georgia, but the potential is there. He has battled different schemes and injuries. He has excellent speed and a ridiculous vertical leap, and was amazing at blocking kicks at Georgia.

He is a gifted athlete waiting to break out and would be a great addition to our team. He would be a fan favorite in my opinion having watched all of his college career and a few Lions games.

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 02:19 AM
hopefully he comes if not owell

Italianmobstr7
03-01-2008, 02:42 AM
I think that it would be cool to have the Bailey brothers on the defense. You know they've got camaraderie which sometimes, no always, helps when you play. I think that he would be a good addition.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-01-2008, 05:33 AM
this would be a good addition.

Brand
03-01-2008, 11:57 PM
If the Broncos sign him, I will guarantee there will be an outcry of disagreement among fans. There will be a smathering of agreements, and a bushel basket of shrugs.

If signed, all projections will need to be modified until we see how he is used in the Denver D which will be different from the Detroit D.

shank
03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
i'm not against bringing him in, but there are guys out there i'd rather have.

and if boss bailey becomes an excuse to not draft a LB this year then i will punch a baby.

Gagshyderf
03-02-2008, 12:08 AM
i'm not against bringing him in, but there are guys out there i'd rather have.

and if boss bailey becomes an excuse to not draft a LB this year then i will punch a baby.

Well that's just wrong....

Buff
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
If the Broncos sign him, I will guarantee there will be an outcry of disagreement among fans. There will be a smathering of agreements, and a bushel basket of shrugs.

If signed, all projections will need to be modified until we see how he is used in the Denver D which will be different from the Detroit D.

After living through a season of Nate Webster and a slower Ian Gold-- I think we'll welcome any outsiders with open arms... Granted he's no Calvin Pace/Lance Briggs headline type, but it's a start... Plus, we have enough need at LB that I doubt we'll neglect it in the draft even if we sign Bailey.

shank
03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Well that's just wrong....

tread lightly buddy, or i will wait until you have a baby and punch IT.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 01:23 AM
After living through a season of Nate Webster and a slower Ian Gold-- I think we'll welcome any outsiders with open arms... Granted he's no Calvin Pace/Lance Briggs headline type, but it's a start... Plus, we have enough need at LB that I doubt we'll neglect it in the draft even if we sign Bailey.

I think unless we find a stud available @LB we will bring in a lower round guy or UDFA.. I do not see that huge a need with Windborn and Webster as Backups..

But then I could be wrong.. It would lessen the need to go strong on draft day..

dogfish
03-02-2008, 03:08 AM

i believe he spent most of his time in detroit playing SAM, and i would guess that he'll probably play the same spot here-- his size, speed and athletic ability match up well with TEs in coverage, and he's taller if not much heavier than both webster and winborn. . . i think he'd probably be our 4th LB, as i wouldn't expect him to beat webster out. . .

dogfish
03-02-2008, 03:12 AM
I think unless we find a stud available @LB we will bring in a lower round guy or UDFA.. I do not see that huge a need with Windborn and Webster as Backups..

that would be my preference as well. . . cheaper, and we get the chance to possibly develop a guy long term-- even if he's only going to be a backup. . . LB is one of the positions where we've done well identifying talent over the years. . . jashon sykes is a perfect example of a guy who we brought in as a UDFA and got some adeqaute play from-- he was no star, but he came on the super cheap and wasn't a liability when he was on the field. . . i wouldn't mind seeing the broncos grab another buff LB-- dizon shouldn't go higher than the 4th, and he would fit pretty well in our system. . .

DenBronx
03-02-2008, 03:41 AM
i guess it comes down to who you would rather play sam...webster or boss??? and if these are our only options then i say boss would start and webster would give him a breather when needed. i think the weakside is more important anyway. since we let gold go then we need to look for a true weakside lb.

SoCalBronco
03-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Boss is likely an upgrade at Sam. Especially when it comes to coverage. With four games against the likes of Gonzo & Gates, this ability can not be overstated.
I'd like to see us draft for the future at LB, maybe by trading back if our 2nd round pick goes to trading for Rogers.

HolyDiver
03-02-2008, 07:28 AM
If we sign Bailey, that's one more young Defensive player to go with DJ and the young D-line. Might want to put Webster in the Middle then and move Williams back to Will.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Hopefully this will be the last time I need to say this...

THERE WILL BE NO PUNCHING OF BABIES. NONE. GOT IT?

...as you were.

BeefStew25
03-02-2008, 10:10 AM
If we sign Bailey, that's one more young Defensive player to go with DJ and the young D-line. Might want to put Webster in the Middle then and move Williams back to Will.

Seems to me Boss is just another Ian Gold, but with a better family tree.

Dean
03-02-2008, 12:12 PM
i believe he spent most of his time in detroit playing SAM, and i would guess that he'll probably play the same spot here-- his size, speed and athletic ability match up well with TEs in coverage, and he's taller if not much heavier than both webster and winborn. . . i think he'd probably be our 4th LB, as i wouldn't expect him to beat webster out. . .

I was not in any way enamored with Webster's play. IMO he was physically and technically weak. I wouldn't think that replacing him would be setting the bar too high. I might miss Webster's theatrics :lol: but beyond that I believe that Boss would be a significant step up for the :defense:.

frauschieze
03-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I was not in any way enamored with Webster's play. IMO he was physically and technically weak. I wouldn't think that replacing him would be setting the bar too high. I might miss Webster's theatrics :lol: but beyond that I believe that Boss would be a significant step up for the :defense:.

Shots whenever Webster loses his helmet!

Dean
03-02-2008, 12:29 PM
The Broncos were terrible this year at tight end coverage and ours is the conference of exceptional tight ends. If Boss can stay on the field during passing downs and provide TE coverage, he has already made our defense much better and will allow it to get off the field after three downs. :elefant:

jhns
03-02-2008, 12:54 PM
The Broncos were terrible this year at tight end coverage and ours is the conference of exceptional tight ends. If Boss can stay on the field during passing downs and provide TE coverage, he has already made our defense much better and will allow it to get off the field after three downs. :elefant:

This is off topic but has anyone heard about Sam Brandon? He wasn't the best safety but you could really tell that our TE coverage dropped as soon as he went down.

Boss would be good for our team. He is going to be cheap and he has some skills. If anything, he is better than what we have.