PDA

View Full Version : Basically 3/4 of quality free agents got signed today

bmarsh15
02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
and guess what none of them by the Broncos not even one why?

nevcraw
02-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Because they are not going to overpay.. Still quality players left to get. Chin up!

Bronco4ever
02-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Too many people on here are looking for instant gratification from free agency. I don't get it. Yeah, it would be cool if we got a few new guys in here right away, but we have to be careful with our money. We weren't last year and look how that panned out for us. The funny thing is, if we traded for Robertson, signed a few guys like Bryant Johnson and Boss Bailey, and had a really good draft, no one will remember us being quiet today. Shanny is no dummy. Let him do his job. We will be alright.

BOSSHOGG30
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah, Bryant Johnson, D.J. Hackett, Erik Coleman, and a few others still available. Denver doesn't want to over pay... nothing wrong with that.

jlarsiii
02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Too many people on here are looking for instant gratification from free agency. I don't get it. Yeah, it would be cool if we got a few new guys in here right away, but we have to be careful with our money. We weren't last year and look how that panned out for us. The funny thing is, if we traded for Robertson, signed a few guys like Bryant Johnson and Boss Bailey, and had a really good draft, no one will remember us being quiet today. Shanny is no dummy. Let him do his job. We will be alright.

I think that part of it was that a lot of fans kind of got used to chasing varoius FAs over the years. It is exciting to see the updates that various sources post as we chased down players to see if we could sign them. It was a nice little boost of activity in an otherwise boring part of the offseason.

It doesn't mean that we made wise decisions in FA by any stretch of the imagination. We made poor ones for the most part, but for some it was fun to watch and then hope that the players we signed would put us over the hump into another SB.

nevcraw
02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Preaching to quoir Boss..
Erik Coleman and Hackett are exactly what the doctor Ordered. Im actally starting to think Hacket will be the better fit than Johnson but either will be sweet.

Drill-N-Fill
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Build through the draft. Don't overspend like previous years. Pick up key (affordable) FAs.

broncohead
02-29-2008, 08:24 PM
and guess what none of them by the Broncos not even one why?

Ask Shanny

Bronco4ever
02-29-2008, 08:27 PM
I think that part of it was that a lot of fans kind of got used to chasing varoius FAs over the years. It is exciting to see the updates that various sources post as we chased down players to see if we could sign them. It was a nice little boost of activity in an otherwise boring part of the offseason.

It doesn't mean that we made wise decisions in FA by any stretch of the imagination. We made poor ones for the most part, but for some it was fun to watch and then hope that the players we signed would put us over the hump into another SB.

No doubt that it's fun wanting to get some new faces in here and build up the team. My beef with it is that it's still the first day and people are getting their panties in a bunch while other teams are tossing around money like it's a game of Monopoly. We will just have to be more patient this off season. We'll get a few new starters and have a good draft and most people will forget that we didn't grossly over pay for some guys this off season. It may not be fancy, but it will help us out in the future.

jlarsiii
02-29-2008, 08:36 PM
No doubt that it's fun wanting to get some new faces in here and build up the team. My beef with it is that it's still the first day and people are getting their panties in a bunch while other teams are tossing around money like it's a game of Monopoly. We will just have to be more patient this off season. We'll get a few new starters and have a good draft and most people will forget that we didn't grossly over pay for some guys this off season. It may not be fancy, but it will help us out in the future.

I agree with you. I am really enjoying the approach the FO is taking this offseason. For once they are really practicing what they preach (being less active in FA and more focused on building through the draft). It gives me more hope for the future then just signing every FA in sight because we think they may be productive here. Obviously that policy failed.

I can't wait to see what our club looks like by the end of April.

Superchop 7
02-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Teams are built through the draft.

The focus should be......getting more picks on day 1.

This draft is deep at RB, O Tackle, and DB, the more picks.....the better.

ikillz0mbies
02-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't know what the fuss is all about. It's the first day of FA signing and everyone makes it seem it's like a first come first serve status. Broncos are thinking and analyzing what player would fill needs and help the team out. There are still quality players out there. And one note to point out, a lot of these reported signings and trades are coming out false i.e. Faneca to the Jets and the Rogers trade being called off. A lot more can hapen in the next few days. Just watch, the Broncos will sign a good player, a big name even. Or a trade could still happen. It's not over yet.

broncosfanscott
02-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Believe me I would love for the Broncos to get a couple of quality players in FA that will help us out, however I would prefer to get guys in the draft that will be with us for several years. Spend money wisely.

broncohead
02-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Because we drafted so horibly in the past we had to resort to overpaying in FA. We wouldn't be able to get any talent otherwise. If we continue drafting well we can tone down overpade FA signings. I know it's to early to tell but the last 2 drafts looks like they will pan out for us.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 11:06 PM
The sky is falling...

atwater27
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Here is the problem. No, the sky isn't falling. But a bunch of quality defensive tackles were available this offseason, it is unquestionably Denver's biggest area of need, and most of them have rightfully been snatched up already. We are nowhere near positioned to get the top 2 DT's in the draft.
That really sucks. And our defense will suck (again) because of it. Especially our run defense.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Here is the problem. No, the sky isn't falling. But a bunch of quality defensive tackles were available this offseason, it is unquestionably Denver's biggest area of need, and most of them have rightfully been snatched up already. We are nowhere near positioned to get the top 2 DT's in the draft.
That really sucks. And our defense will suck (again) because of it. Especially our run defense.

Williams took a 2nd round pick...would have left us w/ 1 day 1 pick.

Rogers took a 3rd round pick and a CB...we don't even have the 3rd. And he's a huge personality risk.

Jenkins took a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick...

Yes...these guys were there, but do ya want Shanny to overpay and mortgage the future? There are still solid options available. Robertson's trade value is dropping fast and the Jets are all but gonna be forced to unload him. let's see how this plays out before we all start groaning.

atwater27
02-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I am more worried about our GIANT hole in the middle of our defense than wondering how many 1st day picks we will have. We could draft 3 1st day players and strike out all 3. A second rounder for a solid starter is a good trade. At least you know they can produce. A Player is a player.

nevcraw
03-01-2008, 12:29 AM
I am more worried about our GIANT hole in the middle of our defense than wondering how many 1st day picks we will have. We could draft 3 1st day players and strike out all 3. A second rounder for a solid starter is a good trade. At least you know they can produce. A Player is a player.
Because FA's always work out.. nice try..

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 02:27 AM
what if every single one of the people we draft sucks that sets us back like iono 4 years....the raiders are gonna be ahead of us

Timmy!
03-01-2008, 02:39 AM
http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/BDD_panic_button.jpg

I wonder how many people just broke their monitors......

atwater27
03-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Because FA's always work out.. nice try..

And rookies all work out too. let's play a game.

Lorcust
03-01-2008, 08:25 AM
You guys were spoiled by last offseason.:rolleyes:

MHCBill
03-01-2008, 09:07 AM
what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

what if...

nevcraw
03-01-2008, 09:56 AM
And rookies all work out too. let's play a game.

Let's play: "I'm not the spoiled fan expecting every High ticket FA to land in Denver".

The player you are looking for may not be a first round pick nor an over priced trade candidate. There are plenty of possibilites still to fill the void at DT, but it hopefully will not include the Headline grabbing name with their bloated salary and/or traded pics to go with it..

Retired_Member_001
03-01-2008, 10:20 AM
It could all still work out perfectly, we just have to be patient.

Now if we don't make any signings in the next few days I'll be worried.

As Adam Schefter said "After the first day, teams aren't as willing to spend spend spend"

atwater27
03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Let's play: "I'm not the spoiled fan expecting every High ticket FA to land in Denver".

The player you are looking for may not be a first round pick nor an over priced trade candidate. There are plenty of possibilites still to fill the void at DT, but it hopefully will not include the Headline grabbing name with their bloated salary and/or traded pics to go with it..

Defensive tackle is a premier position with premier pay. There is a lack of true talent in the league at the position. DT is our biggest need, so excuse me if I am irritated at Denver's lack of commitment in landing someone of talent.

Buff
03-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I think Atwater brings up a valid point... This year's DT class in the draft is not as deep as we'd like it to be-- we have a glaring need at the position.

However, Assassin brings up valid points as well, we can't mortgage the future for a quick fix, especially on the D-line where that's been the norm for the past 5 years. We've got a serviceable DT in Thomas, but we need to get to work-- let's hope Robertson is still feasible-- But I'm sure the Jets are looking to recoup 2008 picks given that they got 2009 picks in return for Vilma. So that might be tough...

Oakland really ****** the DT market up by giving a boatload of cash to that kid who hasn't done anything yet.

hamrob
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I say we draft Marcus Harrison in the 2nd and team him with Marcus Thomas and rotate in Ekubon on passing downs. Yes, we sucked last year against the run...but alot of that had to do with our coaching and our defensive philosophy.

hamrob
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Now...having said that I'd draft Marcus Harrison in the 2nd to plug our DT hole...I have to ask the question...what makes more sense and what is the lower risk?

Drafting Harrison in the 2nd or trading our 2nd for Robertson???

silkamilkamonico
03-01-2008, 05:41 PM
At least this place is a lot more chill than BronocMania.

That place is falling apart.

Buff
03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
At least this place is a lot more chill than BronocMania.

That place fell apart.

Corrected for accuracy.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
This sums up my buds at Broncomania right now.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/hartcavalcade/jesusshanny.jpg

Praying for help. :lol:

#1bmarshfan
03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
now everyones gone....

Brand
03-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Chilled out? That's not how I read several posts above. This site is no different from other Broncos boards. Everyone needs to calm down and realize that the big money DTs are not going to be coming to Denver. I am pleased that several of the big money DTs may be going to teams ahead of the Broncos in the draft. That means their draft needs change, and maybe one of the better DTs might fall to Denver at 12. Never know what might happen. OTOH, the Robertson saga has not played out all the way yet, and I remember there are several servicable DTs out there (Triplett, e. g.) still available.

I am amused that people on different boards are squawking about Colbert's signing, wanting Johnson instead. Fact is, he may actually pan out fairly well for the dollars involved.

The issue is not cap space. It is dollars. Real money. Saving as much as possible for next year makes sense if the Broncos wish to keep the core group together. Think what the Rockies did. That should be the Broncos next year.

Don't need no more superstars. We got those.