PDA

View Full Version : We must be the cheapest trade partners around...

atwater27
02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Maybe this thread may be a bit premature, but I am getting sick of seeing potential trades disentigrate into a puff of smoke. An I am sick of seeing players I think could seriously improve Denver get signed or traded to other teams on acceptable terms. Kris Jenkins just got taken for a 3rd and a 5th.
Alot of us would consider a second rounder acceptable, including myself, for Shaun Rogers, yet a stronger character, young tackle like Corey Williams just got traded for a second rounder. We missed opportunities like this last season as well. I don't know if I am interested in Stroud with his ankle injuries, but we gotta land Rogers or Robertson. If we miss out on all the decent DT's this free agency, and we don't end up trading up for Ellis, we are likely doomed for another middle of the pack win loss record.
Shanahan's offers in potential trades must just be laughable. I understand, I mean we raped the Redskins on several occasions, but not all teams are that stupid. Come on Shanny, OFFER SOMETHING OF VALUE TO GET SOMETHING OF VALUE!

atwater27
02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Just lost a chance at Vilma too.

silkamilkamonico
02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Shanahan makes out good in trades.

The reason he's not offering value is because he's being smart.

Everyone knows the best wasy to get an impact player is through the draft, and bringing in players via trade is even more hit/miss than that.

fcspikeit
02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Maybe this thread may be a bit premature, but I am getting sick of seeing potential trades disentigrate into a puff of smoke. An I am sick of seeing players I think could seriously improve Denver get signed or traded to other teams on acceptable terms. Kris Jenkins just got taken for a 3rd and a 5th.
Alot of us would consider a second rounder acceptable, including myself, for Shaun Rogers, yet a stronger character, young tackle like Corey Williams just got traded for a second rounder. We missed opportunities like this last season as well. I don't know if I am interested in Stroud with his ankle injuries, but we gotta land Rogers or Robertson. If we miss out on all the decent DT's this free agency, and we don't end up trading up for Ellis, we are likely doomed for another middle of the pack win loss record.
Shanahan's offers in potential trades must just be laughable. I understand, I mean we raped the Redskins on several occasions, but not all teams are that stupid. Come on Shanny, OFFER SOMETHING OF VALUE TO GET SOMETHING OF VALUE!

When we are the highest bidder we run the risk of spending to much. If the guys don't pan out Shanahan gets bashed for throwing money away... We can't have it both ways..

I will say that I can't believe we didn't go after Corey Williams... There aren't any question marks surrounding him. I would have traded our 2nd for him in a heartbeat. I really thought he would stay with the Pack but beings he was really going to move we should have definitely went after him!

silkamilkamonico
02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Just lost a chance at Vilma too.

A dude with disintegrating knees? We didn't lose out on Vilma.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Denver's made some smart and some bad trades over the past few years, and like I mentioned when the Walker trade rumors to Tampa Bay heated up, we couldn't afford to be greedy. Denver more than likely didn't want to give up what those teams wanted in return. I honestly believe that Bowlen finally told Mike to "knock it off" on some of the ridiculous things going on. Denver's greediness is probably one of the reasons why Walker and Gold will both be released. Hell, there had to have been a team that would have taken those goons on a conditional pick. . . but, whatever.

Secondly, a lot of the DT rumors never had much substance anyways. It was the media overhyping out need for a guy in the middle and making it seem like we were actually playing serious hard ball out there with teams regarding those players when it's quite obvious we weren't, because if we were serious we probably would have upgraded, don't you think?

Ain't no sweat off my back, we get to keep our picks and we don't make a quick move.

Yes.

topscribe
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Shanahan makes out good in trades.

The reason he's not offering value is because he's being smart.

Everyone knows the best wasy to get an impact player is through the draft, and bringing in players via trade is even more hit/miss than that.

Well, not everyone. Someone has to teach Bellichick that principle I guess.

Moss, Stallworth, A. Thomas . . .

-----

MHCBill
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Everyone calm down.

fcspikeit
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Denver's made some smart and some bad trades over the past few years, and like I mentioned when the Walker trade rumors to Tampa Bay heated up, we couldn't afford to be greedy. Denver more than likely didn't want to give up what those teams wanted in return. I honestly believe that Bowlen finally told Mike to "knock it off" on some of the ridiculous things going on. Denver's greediness is probably one of the reasons why Walker and Gold will both be released. Hell, there had to have been a team that would have taken those goons on a conditional pick. . . but, whatever.

Secondly, a lot of the DT rumors never had much substance anyways. It was the media overhyping out need for a guy in the middle and making it seem like we were actually playing serious hard ball out there with teams regarding those players when it's quite obvious we weren't, because if we were serious we probably would have upgraded, don't you think?

Ain't no sweat off my back, we get to keep our picks and we don't make a quick move.

Yes.

I have thought this too.

Maybe Mikey isn't working hard to trade them out of spite? As you said, there just has to be someone that would take those 2 for late or conditional picks next year.

If Walker really can come in and play a full season for a team he would well be worth a 3rd round pick. So why don't we set up a trade for a conditional 7 or 3rd round pick if he can play 75% of the season? The Bucs have a lot of cap space, I have to believe they would do this...

I don't know but it is almost like Mikey is saying, if you are going to restrict my trade genies then I will not work to trade at all and you will see what your missing out on.

I just can't see why we didn't at least try to get Corey Williams, He is everything we need, if we got a guy like him with a 2nd that would really free up the rest of our picks to address other needs and wants. IMO he was less of a risk then Rogers....

silkamilkamonico
02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, not everyone. Someone has to teach Bellichick that principle I guess.

Moss, Stallworth, A. Thomas . . .

-----

Remember though, Patriots have won 2 of their SuperBowls coming off offseasons where they didn't acquire anybody of significance.

So did the Colts.

So did the Steelers.

All those those were built around players they drafted and developed.

mopatt24
02-29-2008, 01:40 PM
If its Rogers, Williams, or Robertson, one of these guys should have ended up in Denver.

Mike
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
When we are the highest bidder we run the risk of spending to much. If the guys don't pan out Shanahan gets bashed for throwing money away... We can't have it both ways..

I will say that I can't believe we didn't go after Corey Williams... There aren't any question marks surrounding him. I would have traded our 2nd for him in a heartbeat. I really thought he would stay with the Pack but beings he was really going to move we should have definitely went after him!

Speaking of spending too much.

The Broncos checked another one of their free agents off their list by agreeing to a two-year contract with tight end Nate Jackson this morning.

The deal is worth about $2 million with some escalators. Jackson ended last season on the injured reserve. The team likes him because of his strong hands, creating a good option in the passing game.

The Broncos re-signed defensive end John Engelberger on Thursday night. The Broncos' remaining free agents are kicker Jason Elam, defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban, safety Nick Ferguson and fullback Cecil Sapp. Elam and Ekuban are the team's top targets. Sapp and Ferguson are not likely to return.

:laugh:

topscribe
02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Remember though, Patriots have won 2 of their SuperBowls coming off offseasons where they didn't acquire anybody of significance.

So did the Colts.

So did the Steelers.

Well, certainly you are right. However, I wouldn't discount the efficacy of the
FA and trades, and that's my point. Bailey, Bly, Adbullah, Ekuban, Holland,
Henry, Stokley . . . all these guys either have contributed or are being
counted on to contribute. Even the "Browncos": Besides Ekuban, the others
plugged holes for the Broncos, except Brown, who would have been the
best of the lot if not for a bum knee. I just read today how Adams was a
bust . . . really? He started several games, and didn't cost much.

Yes, strong drafts are needed to fortify the core, and strong drafts the
Broncos have had the last two or three years. But the Patriots have vividly
demonstrated that you also remain aggressive in FA and trades, too. How
can we argue with 18-1?

-----

shank
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
watching guys that could really help out team become unavailable is killing me inside.

seriously, bum knee and all, how is vilma not worth a 2009 4th to us?!

we'll probably give up our 2nd and foxy for rogers when all is said and done, but corey williams could have been had for a 2nd, and kris jenkins went for a 3rd and 5th...

no play for wilson or williams, and the only safety i've heard that we talked to is a late round prospect in the draft.

low balling lynch and elam...

resigning nate jackson...

this is a great start...

atwater27
02-29-2008, 02:36 PM

So did the Colts.

So did the Steelers.

And we wouldn't have won our 2 Super Bowls without a massive injection of free agents, some of them big name.

Lonestar
02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, certainly you are right. However, I wouldn't discount the efficacy of the
FA and trades, and that's my point. Bailey, Bly, Adbullah, Ekuban, Holland,
Henry, Stokley . . . all these guys either have contributed or are being
counted on to contribute. Even the "Browncos": Besides Ekuban, the others
plugged holes for the Broncos, except Brown, who would have been the
best of the lot if not for a bum knee. I just read today how Adams was a
bust . . . really? He started several games, and didn't cost much.

Yes, strong drafts are needed to fortify the core, and strong drafts the
Broncos have had the last two or three years. But the Patriots have vividly
demonstrated that you also remain aggressive in FA and trades, too. How
can we argue with 18-1?

-----

But they have consistently done well in the draft built a solid core of players lost a few to FA but keep the cream. The do more with there draft guys than most do.. and for awhile guys have not had those top ten picks because of their ineptitude..

A good solid organization from top to bottom.. Remember a few years ago losing the DC and OC on one year and they just kept on going..

W lost our OC and almost went belly up the next year..

But then I suspect most of Bills guys are not the butt buddy YES men that mikey has surrounded himself with..

Hobe
02-29-2008, 02:45 PM
A few years ago everyone was saying that free agency had killed trading in the NFL. Then Shany negotiated the Portis/Bailey blockbuster. Frankly, I think that we know about 10% of what’s going on in the trades. With the exception of a few media types, the rest know about 15% of what is going on.

I’d love to see some of these guys in Denver too, but we can’t get everyone.

topscribe
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
But they have consistently done well in the draft built a solid core of players lost a few to FA but keep the cream. The do more with there draft guys than most do.. and for awhile guys have not had those top ten picks because of their ineptitude..

A good solid organization from top to bottom.. Remember a few years ago losing the DC and OC on one year and they just kept on going..

W lost our OC and almost went belly up the next year..

But then I suspect most of Bills guys are not the butt buddy YES men that mikey has surrounded himself with..

The Broncos have done consistently well in the draft the past two or three years now.

Y'think it might be getting close to the time to put that to rest . . .

-----

Mike
02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
The Broncos have done consistently well in the draft the past two or three years now.

-----

Two years compared to a long list of bad years doesn't put it to rest in my mind.

I still get nervous come draft time and I really doubt that I am alone in that sentiment.

Hobe
02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
And we wouldn't have won our 2 Super Bowls without a massive injection of free agents, some of them big name.

These are some of the players on the first Super Bowl Champs that came to the Broncos via trades or free agency.

Gary Zimmerman, Mark Schlereth, Brian Habib, Ed McCaffrey, John Elway, Howard Griffith, Neil Smith, Michael Dean Perry, Alfred Williams, Bill Romanowski, Darrien Gordon, Tyrone Braxton.

These are the players we drafted or acquired and developed.

Rod Smith, Tom Nalen, Shannon Sharpe, Terrell Davis, Jason Elam, Keith Traylor, Maa Tanuvasa, Allen Aldridge, John Mobley, Ray Crockett, Steve Atwater.

I working from memory, so some might be wrong. It just shows that you have to do both. The O-line on this team was one of the best we’ve ever had. One was home grown and four came in trades or free agency. The Vikings thought Zimmerman wasn’t worth keeping and look what he did for us.

dogfish
02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Two years compared to a long list of bad years doesn't put it to rest in my mind.

I still get nervous come draft time and I really doubt that I am alone in that sentiment.

hardly! i'm scared to death that we'll blow it-- in fact, i EXPECT it. . . . :tsk:

topscribe
02-29-2008, 03:13 PM

I think I would get nervous at draft time if the past five or six years were
solid. That's the nature of the beast: It's an art. But something apparently
happened that caused an improvement in player evaluation.

But that isn't the point I originally tried to make. Oh well . . .

-----

shank
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
hardly! i'm scared to death that we'll blow it-- in fact, i EXPECT it. . . . :tsk:

i too am a pessimist by nature. you get disappointed less.

doesn't mean i'm not going crazy right now though.

Lonestar
02-29-2008, 03:42 PM

-----

2 of 13 WOW when he gets near batting 300 and some of to them stay past their rookie contracts perhaps..

Very few of them around besides OLINE and well OLINE..

DAFTING has not been one of mikey's strong point ever..

I have to wonder who will be whispering in mikey's ear in the war room this year since Dinger, kubes and bates are gone.

SO far TOP your talking about Jay, Scheffler, Marshall maybe Thomas, Moss, Crowder over the past two years VS. his career as the guy pulling the strings..

The odds were he'd at least get a couple right.. after blowing so many others and frankly I'm not so sure that Dinger was not mostly responsible for Jay and Marshall being here.

We certainly know that mikey did not pull those DL picks out of his mind last year we all KNOW that Bates was that architect.. You give mikey way more credit than he is due..

He is a great offensive coach past that IMO he sucks as GM..

topscribe
02-29-2008, 04:09 PM
2 of 13 WOW when he gets near batting 300 and some of to them stay past their rookie contracts perhaps..

I have to wonder who will be whispering in mikey's ear in the war room this year since Dinger, kubes and bates are gone.

SO far TOP your talking about Jay, Scheffler, Marshall maybe Thomas, Moss, Crowder over the past two years VS. his career as the guy pulling the strings..

The odds were he'd at least get a couple right.. after blowing so many others and frankly I'm not so sure that Dinger was not mostly responsible for Jay and Marshall being here.

We certainly know that mikey did not pull those DL picks out of his mind last year we all KNOW that Bates was that architect.. You give mikey way more credit than he is due..

Well, throw in Dumervil, D-Will, Foxy, Paymah, Myers, Kuper . . . did I forget
anybody? Oh yes, even in the not-so-good 2004, the Broncos got D.J. and
Tater, the latter who wasn't so good for us, maybe, but he brought us Bly.

But those two out of 13 were the most recent two, don't forget. I'm not
happy about the other 11 years, no. But I'm willing to feed off the last two
and try to stay positive.

-----

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 04:10 PM

I am very happy the Denver Broncos are showing some restraint and not dumping their draft picks.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Sometimes Shanny needs to be saved from himself. Rogers is a HUGE question mark. Vilma has a knee issue... MAYBE we are better off if Shanny is forced to focus on safer FA options. MAYBE a FA may actually work out if he does.

topscribe
02-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Sometimes Shanny needs to be saved from himself. Rogers is a HUGE question mark. Vilma has a knee issue... MAYBE we are better off if Shanny is forced to focus on safer FA options. MAYBE a FA may actually work out if he does.

Well, apparently Rogers and Vilma are gone, so I guess you got your wish . . .

. . . and maybe I did, too.

-----

silkamilkamonico
02-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Denver has had a massive injection of free agencts the last few years. Last year they were the most active in the NFL in free agency.

And it got us a 7-9 record.

I'm just waiting for the delusional, "I'm sick and tired of DEnver not ever getting any big time free agents, or making any trades", posts.

We all know it's only a matter of time.

atwater27
02-29-2008, 10:55 PM
go chew some bubblegum, beaker.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 11:01 PM
There are still options out there. Robertson apparently isn't calling for the 1st rounder NYJ wanted...nor the 2nd and 3rd. The Jets are screwed at this point. They just gave Jenkins mad cash and Robertson will count $12mil against the cap. They need a CB. I say offer up Foxxy and a 3rd next year. Regardless, Robertson's gonna have to restructure.

Rod Coleman is sitting there w/ needing to be traded for...as is Darwin walker.
LB options include Clark Haggans of Pittsburgh...Seattle's LB (not Kutivedes?), Briggs and DeMorrio Williams...unfortunately Boss Bailey too.

We'll be OK...patience is needed by some of the folks here.

Drill-N-Fill
03-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm happy Shanny has stuck to his guns on these few trades. We saw the value that was being asked for these DT's. And I'm glad Shanny didn't give in a 2nd this year or even a 3rd next year. Save picks, build through the draft. Kudos for Shanny!

Retired_Member_001
03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I think we'll make a move for Bryant Johnson.

Shanahan is being smart though, he's not going to break the bank for someone who is questionable. I remember about a month ago that Pat Bowlen said that the Broncos were going to build through the draft from now on.

The Broncos are going to be smart and build through bringing in youth. Hopefully Shanny's drafting improves with time as well. ;)

nevcraw
03-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Ironic how you bash the guy for every last failure but any credit for success goes to the assistants. Funny how that is..

Bronco9798
03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
We're not cheap, we're just being smart so far.

PatricktheDookie
03-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Michael Dean Perry

He did not win a Super Bowl with us.