PDA

View Full Version : CB Champ Bailey Allowed No Touchdowns During 2009 Season

broncofaninfla
01-15-2010, 04:02 PM
CB Champ Bailey Allowed No Touchdowns During 2009 Season
Posted by Matt Loede on January 15th, 2010 in News

Colorado Springs Gazette beat writer Frank Schwab, the area’s All Pro voter, tracked down detailed stats for the league’s cornerbacks and discovered that Bailey was the only one not to allow a touchdown this season, despite spending much of the season shadowing the opponent’s top receiver (like San Diego’s Vincent Jackson, Indianapolis’ Reggie Wayne and Philadelphia’s DeSean Jackson). According to Stats, Ic., Bailey allowed 47 catches for a total of 624 yards. That’s more than Jets star Darrelle Revis allowed (40 for 439 yards) but that Bailey didn’t allow even a single touchdown is impressive.

dogfish
01-15-2010, 04:09 PM
gee, wow, that's funny--according to a lot of fans around here, he's fallen way off and is only average now. . . i recently heard someone say he's barely in the top ten in NFL corners anymore. . .

:doh: :frusty:

topscribe
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
gee, wow, that's funny--according to a lot of fans around here, he's fallen way off and is only average now. . . i recently heard someone say he's barely in the top ten in NFL corners anymore. . .

Some of them have made claims about several players (and coaches) that don't make sense . . . :coffee:

But back to Champ . . . I believe he should be All-Pro. But it is what it is . . .

-----

nevcraw
01-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Both starting CB's had excellent years.. & the nickle - well.. not so much..

I would like to see Champ here until he retires. & when he's ready to shift over to safety, he will become the best ball hawking / center fielder in the game.. not doubt about it..

missingnumber7
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Some of them have made claims about several players (and coaches) that don't make sense . . . :coffee:

But back to Champ . . . I believe he should be All-Pro. But it is what it is . . .

-----

Eh...awards are what they are...who cares.

Lonestar
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I love the guy but not so sure he is worth the salary cap hit he will get this year.

Ziggy
01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
I love the guy but not so sure he is worth the salary cap hit he will get this year.

Champ is still a top corner. He'll get paid this season, but he's well worth it. When Champ signed his contract, he was the top paid corner in the NFL. Since then he has been passed up by a bunch of folks. He hasn't complained once, and hasn't held out for more money. Pay the man.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Didn't allow a single touchdown? How about when he was covering hines ward and hines jumped right over his ass and took it in for 6 points? Was that not allowing a touchdown?

I love champ btw.

WARHORSE
01-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Not only is Champ a great cover corner, I dont know of another thats more prolific at tackling.

Look, Champ is going to be getting the big dolla's this year, but hes more than earned it year in and year out. Its just that this is the year the lump of his contract comes in.

Lets not mistake, or make the mistake of letting him go thinking hes done or on the verge of being done.

If you want an example of idiots that do that, look no further than the Pukedelphia Fleagulls letting go of Dawkins. Their safety play was HORRIFIC this year.

All you gotta do is look at the way Puke played their corners 8 yds off the Cowgirls WRs. (anyone recognize that style of play?) Its because theyre scared to play at the LOS because the safeties get them burned.

We may need to restructure Champ, and pay him a new contract. When he winds down at CB, he can still be a killer FS for us.

He aint gonna knock heads, but hes going to pick off passes and be a sure tackler.

Ravage!!!
01-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I would like to see us keep him, just not sure its feasible for us to do it.

topscribe
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Didn't allow a single touchdown? How about when he was covering hines ward and hines jumped right over his ass and took it in for 6 points? Was that not allowing a touchdown?

I love champ btw.

I would have to see it again. Often, it appears that a CB or S has been beaten
by a receiver, when they were only coming over to try to help. So the camera
swings over, and all we see is the secondary player and the receiver, and the
guy who really got beat is lagging behind somewhere.

I'm not saying that was the scenario, but that it is possible . . .

------

rcsodak
01-15-2010, 07:43 PM

I love champ btw.

So you're saying he was "covering" ward?

Or just happened to be in that spot. :coffee:

Stokely wasn't the intended receiver on the game winning TD vs Cinci. Gonna hold that against him?

rcsodak
01-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I would like to see us keep him, just not sure its feasible for us to do it.

You related to Mr Bowlen?
:rolleyes:

Lonestar
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Champ is still a top corner. He'll get paid this season, but he's well worth it. When Champ signed his contract, he was the top paid corner in the NFL. Since then he has been passed up by a bunch of folks. He hasn't complained once, and hasn't held out for more money. Pay the man.

still IIRC 12 mil is a lot of money for his final year here.

Lonestar
01-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Not only is Champ a great cover corner, I dont know of another thats more prolific at tackling.

Look, Champ is going to be getting the big dolla's this year, but hes more than earned it year in and year out. Its just that this is the year the lump of his contract comes in.

Lets not mistake, or make the mistake of letting him go thinking hes done or on the verge of being done.

If you want an example of idiots that do that, look no further than the Pukedelphia Fleagulls letting go of Dawkins. Their safety play was HORRIFIC this year.

All you gotta do is look at the way Puke played their corners 8 yds off the Cowgirls WRs. (anyone recognize that style of play?) Its because theyre scared to play at the LOS because the safeties get them burned.

We may need to restructure Champ, and pay him a new contract. When he winds down at CB, he can still be a killer FS for us.

He aint gonna knock heads, but hes going to pick off passes and be a sure tackler.

Not so sure he will not knock some heads , maybe not Lynch or Dawkins style but he will remind folks this is his territory in his own way.

topscribe
01-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Not so sure he will not knock some heads , maybe not Lynch or Dawkins style but he will remind folks this is his territory in his own way.

Wouldn't you love to have a safety that fast? Champ was once timed at 4.19.
Even if he lost a half-step, having a 4.4 safety wouldn't be half bad . . .

-----

dogfish
01-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Both starting CB's had excellent years.. & the nickle - well.. not so much..

I would like to see Champ here until he retires. & when he's ready to shift over to safety, he will become the best ball hawking / center fielder in the game.. not doubt about it..

agree with both of these. . . he's a consummate pro, and i'vre said for a while now that i think he could make the switch to safety and play there at a very high level for another four or five years, ala rod woodson or aneas williams. . . he would still have excellent speed, range, burst and athleticism for a safety, plus great instincts and a safety's bottom line-- big hitting rocks, but reliable tackling is essential. . . champ could pack on ten pounds or so to help with the pounding and banging, and he'd have adequate safety size, especially for a centerfielder role where his ball skills and return ability would be most dangerous. . .

or better, let him play a rover type role like charles woodson did this year-- start him at safety or corner depending on the matchup, use him to cover receiving TEs like dallas clark, play him in the slot, whatever. . . he's smart enough, and versatility, which is valued in any scheme for the ability to neutralize various matchup problems, was always at a premium in the new england system. . . .

Look, Champ is going to be getting the big dolla's this year, but hes more than earned it year in and year out. Its just that this is thee year the lump of his contract comes in.

or the sparklers letting rodney harrison go. . . .

Broncolingus
01-16-2010, 03:19 AM
CB Champ Bailey Allowed No Touchdowns During 2009 Season
Posted by Matt Loede on January 15th, 2010 in News

Colorado Springs Gazette beat writer Frank Schwab, the area’s All Pro voter, tracked down detailed stats for the league’s cornerbacks and discovered that Bailey was the only one not to allow a touchdown this season, despite spending much of the season shadowing the opponent’s top receiver (like San Diego’s Vincent Jackson, Indianapolis’ Reggie Wayne and Philadelphia’s DeSean Jackson). According to Stats, Ic., Bailey allowed 47 catches for a total of 624 yards. That’s more than Jets star Darrelle Revis allowed (40 for 439 yards) but that Bailey didn’t allow even a single touchdown is impressive.

:salute: Champ!

(...as usual...)

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Love me some Champ. Glad he's a Bronco and I hope he retires a Bronco. He's still the best cb in the league in my opinion. Revis and Asomogah are 2nd and 3rd.

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Love me some Champ. Glad he's a Bronco and I hope he retires a Bronco. He's still the best cb in the league in my opinion. Revis and Asomogah are 2nd and 3rd.

One has to wonder what he could have done with consistent heat on the QB besides Dooms. I suspect one of the reasons reavis was so good.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

BroncoAV06
01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I think alot of people see that Champs INT numbers have gone down and assume he has fallen off. Sure he misses some plays like every NFL player but nothing I have seen this year has lead me to belive he has fallen off. Who cares about a cap hit when it comes to a leader and one of the best players on the team!

Oh no cap hit!

JDL
01-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Let's see...

Remember the last game... Dwayne Bowe ran him over on a WR screen (for like 6yds) and it took safety help to keep him 1 inch out.

Do you remember the first KC game... yep that was Champ Bailey trailing badly on Bobby Wade who simply dropped the pass.

There were tons of plays like that and he was mostly lucky to not allow one, should have about 2-3 TDs easy which puts him in line with other top 10 CBs which he still is, but he didn't play NEARLY as well as some people here seem to think he did.

People are fooling themselves if they don't see that Bailey has lost a step. But, some people still think this team is championship mettle and well on their way. :coffee:

dogfish
01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Let's see...

Remember the last game... Dwayne Bowe ran him over on a WR screen (for like 6yds) and it took safety help to keep him 1 inch out.

Do you remember the first KC game... yep that was Champ Bailey trailing badly on Bobby Wade who simply dropped the pass.

There were tons of plays like that and he was mostly lucky to not allow one, should have about 2-3 TDs easy which puts him in line with other top 10 CBs which he still is, but he didn't play NEARLY as well as some people here seem to think he did.

People are fooling themselves if they don't see that Bailey has lost a step. But, some people still think this team is championship mettle and well on their way. :coffee:

a corner gave up some plays through the course of a season-- no, really?

i can use the coffee smiley too. . . . :coffee::coffee::coffee:

sneakers
01-16-2010, 08:29 PM
What about the other players on defense?

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2010, 08:36 PM
You related to Mr Bowlen?
:rolleyes:

Me and most of the Broncos fans I know (at least the die-hard ones) refer to our favorite team and the Broncos as "Us." I'm not sure why thy apparently bothers you, but you should get over it because the majority of the fans refer to the Broncos and themselves as "us" or "we."

topscribe
01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Me and most of the Broncos fans I know (at least the die-hard ones) refer to our favorite team and the Broncos as "Us." I'm not sure why thy apparently bothers you, but you should get over it because the majority of the fans refer to the Broncos and themselves as "us" or "we."

Who are you, anyway? :look:

-----

topscribe
01-16-2010, 09:06 PM
a corner gave up some plays through the course of a season-- no, really?

i can use the coffee smiley too. . . . :coffee::coffee::coffee:

The coffee icon is off bounds to you, Dog.

You didn't receive the memo?

-----

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Who are you, anyway? :look:

-----

Just some guy who loves the Denver Broncos and refers to myself and the team as "we" or "us."

Who are you?

Reidman
01-16-2010, 11:10 PM
I just have to say Champ is one of the best open field one-on-one tackling corners I have ever seen play.
I didn't see a whole lot of defenders get by him who were in front of him.

Sure he has lost some speed, it comes with age. But his presence and awareness is still key and he plays smart.

Remember when everyone jumped on Dre Bly's jock...? Where is he now...:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Remember when everyone jumped on Dre Bly's jock...? Where is he now...:lol:

Well, about a week ago, they showed Champ and Dre together at the Nuggets game in Denver :D