PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Travel to London in 2010

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9765

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The NFL will announce that the Broncos will traval to London on Sunday, Oct. 31, to face the San Francisco 49ers as a part of the NFL's International Series.

"The Denver Broncos are honored to play in London against the 49ers as part of the NFL's International Series," Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen said. "Our organization has been fortunate to play in several American Bowls in previous years, including one in London, but to play a regular-season game overseas is truly special.

"It's a wonderful, historic opportunity for our franchise and will be an unforgettable experience for our players, coaches and fans. I'm excited for the game in London and am thrilled that the Broncos will be part of the NFL's continued international growth."

The game will be played at Wembley Stadium at 11 a.m. MST (5 p.m. UK). CBS will provide live television coverage of the game in the United States.

Denver's game against the 49ers marks the fourth time the NFL has hosted a regular-season game in the United Kingdom with the previous three contests played before sellout crowds. The league has held one regular-season game in London each season beginning in 2007.

Including regular-season games played in London (3), Toronto (2) and Mexico City (1), the Broncos-49ers contest represents the seventh international regular-season game in NFL history.

"Playing in London in front of so many passionate and new football fans is a privilege and will be a great experience for our team," Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "I'm excited for the opportunity, and I am certain that our players and coaches will share my enthusiasm.

"The previous games in London have had a playoff-like atmosphere to them, so that's always a good thing to play in that type of an environment. We'll be ready for the challenge."

The Broncos have played seven international games in club history, including once in London during the preseason -- falling to the Los Angeles Rams 28-27 on Aug. 9, 1987.

Denver's game against the 49ers was set to be an away game, so the club will continue to host eight regular-season games at INVESCO Field at Mile High during the 2010 season.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Awesome!

Shazam!
01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't like these international games.

At least it counts as an away game.

camdisco24
I guess this is good...
Dont they always show this game on TV across the country???
If so, I wouldn't usually see this game most likely, so now I will!

Elevation inc
cant wait...im in italy so i will be getting tickets as soon as they go on sale...lol...been almost 4 years since i seen a game....

Skinny
01-15-2010, 01:24 PM
As long as it's on t.v., i'm down. I'm happy for our UK freinds too.

GEM
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
cant wait...im in italy so i will be getting tickets as soon as they go on sale...lol...been almost 4 years since i seen a game....

That's awesome Inc!! Have fun and get us a win, my friend! :D

Elevation inc
01-15-2010, 01:27 PM
us americans and international fans overseas.. dont get a chance to often for a game like this...so this is huge...for me anyways....its only a quick 2 hour flight for 100 euro as oppose to 12 hours and 1500 dollars no tincluding hotel...HAHA

Nomad
01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
us americans and international fans overseas.. dont get a chance to often for a game like this...so this is huge...for me anyways....its only a quick 2 hour flight for 100 euro as oppose to 12 hours and 1500 dollars no tincluding hotel...HAHA

Good for you, Sharkie, Sparkie, Den 21, Manchester, and whoever else is there!! My wife's up for overseas starting this next cycle....we have Lakenheath, all of Germany, and Aviano, so we'll see!! I want to go to Alaska!!

Funny Jacksonville told the NFL hell no, so they pick the BRONCOS!!

broncofaninfla
01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
I think this is a NFL network game

Elevation inc
01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Good for you, Sharkie, Sparkie, Den 21, Manchester, and whoever else is there!! My wife's up for overseas starting this next cycle....we have Lakenheath, all of Germany, and Aviano, so we'll see!! I want to go to Alaska!!

i was staioned at aviano untill 2008 as military, now im civilain here since my wife and daughter are italian....good luck getting overseas its a blast...

Nomad
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM

:salute:that's what i say!!

I wonder what time they usually show a game like this?? About 7 in the morning eastern time!!

Elevation inc
01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
:salute:that's what i say!!

I wonder what time they usually show a game like this?? About 7 in the morning eastern time!!

if i remember correctly the game is at 7pm here which is 1pm EST or 11am MST

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
My only concern is that the league gives us a favorable schedule before/after game - i.e. home before, and home after. I would hate to see us on the road for the game either before or after this game.

Nomad
01-15-2010, 01:56 PM
if i remember correctly the game is at 7pm here which is 1pm EST or 11am MST

:lol:Man was I way off!!

silkamilkamonico
01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
My only concern is that the league gives us a favorable schedule before/after game - i.e. home before, and home after. I would hate to see us on the road for the game either before or after this game.

The NFL better give both the Broncos and 49ers a bye the following week. It can take days to recover from jet lag, let alone an athlete recovering from an NFL game and then preparing to play just a few days later.

I understand the NFL wants to expand the popularity of the sport, but if he actually thinks he's going to get a team based out of London in the near future, he doesn't have a clue.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14200104

The Broncos are headed to London.

The NFL and the team announced Friday that the Broncos will play the San Francisco 49ers at London's Wembley Stadium on Oct. 31.

It will be a home game for the 49ers, replacing a game between the two teams that would have been played in San Francisco. The London game will not affect the Broncos normal home schedule.

The Halloween game, at Wembley Stadium, kicks off at 11 a.m. mountain time (5 p.m. in London). The game will air on CBS.

It will mark the first time in more than 50 years that the Broncos will play a regular season game outside of the United States. The team has previously played in seven exhibition games in foreign countries, including Mexico, Australia, Japan, Spain and Germany.

"It's a wonderful, historic opportunity for our franchise and will be an unforgettable experience for our players, coaches and fans," team owner Pat Bowlen said in a statement released by the team. "I'm excited for the game in London and am thrilled that the Broncos will be part of the NFL's continued international growth."

London has played host to a regular season game each season since 2007, with sell-out crowds each time. The 2009 game featured the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"Playing in London in front of so many passionate and new football fans is a privilege and will be a great experience for our team," coach Josh McDaniels said in a statement. "I'm excited for the opportunity, and I am certain that our players and coaches will share my enthusiasm."

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815bec19&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The NFL's International Series of regular-season games will return to the United Kingdom in 2010 with the San Francisco 49ers hosting the Denver Broncos, the NFL announced Friday.

The game will be played on Sunday, Oct. 31 at Wembley Stadium in London at 1 p.m. ET . CBS will provide live television coverage in the United States.

The 49ers and Broncos are among the most decorated franchises in NFL history, combining for seven Super Bowl victories.

"For the past three years we have seen the extraordinary passion that exists for NFL football in the UK," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We want to continue to build on that passion by strengthening our ties to our existing UK fans and creating new ones."

The 49ers, five-time NFL champions, will take part in their second international regular-season game and first as the home team. One of the world's most popular NFL franchises, San Francisco faced the Arizona Cardinals on October 2, 2005 in Mexico City in the first international regular-season game in league history, helping attract a crowd of 103,467 to Azteca Stadium.

"The 49ers organization is excited to be part of the NFL's 2010 international schedule," said 49ers President and CEO Jed York. "London is a wonderful venue for two of the most storied franchises in NFL history to square off. The international games have been so well received that it will surely be an exciting experience for our players, coaches, staff and fans. We support the league's initiative to bring NFL games to the international stage, and look forward to playing in front of our fans in England."

The Broncos, two-time Super Bowl champions, played in seven international preseason American Bowl games, including in London in 1987. They return to the UK to play against the team they faced in Super Bowl XXIV in 1990.

"The Denver Broncos are honored to play in London against the 49ers as part of the NFL's International Series," said Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen. "Our organization has been fortunate to play in several American Bowls in previous years, including one in London, but to play a regular-season game overseas is truly special. It's a wonderful, historic opportunity for our franchise and will be an unforgettable experience for our players, coaches and fans. I'm excited for the game in London and am thrilled that the Broncos will be part of the NFL's continued international growth."

The NFL is continuing to explore the possibility of playing a second game in the UK in 2010.

underrated29
01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is fantastic news. I was going to be in Hawaii for this game and the island or place i will be on is really remote. They only get the major games and all the other places that get the games like hooters and sports bars and such are a long ways away.

But the game being a national televised game, means they will be broadcasting it. That frickin rocks!

AndyUKBronco
01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
The Tampa Bay v New England game kicked off at 5pm UK time last year. So that would be 10am Denver time.

WTE
01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I was excited when New England played Tampa Bay in London. I enjoyed reading the stories and blogs from local reporters who were over there covering the game and also enjoyed watching the TV coverage of practice.

This is good news for Broncos fans.

dogfish
01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
****!

this blows. . .

i suppose the exposure is good for the team and all that, but the added travel time sure isn't. . . at least we're facing an opponent who's also had to travel, but historically the broncos don't fare well in east coast games-- this is a hell of a lot farther. . .

oh well-- i hope our friends across the pond get to go. . .

AndyUKBronco
01-15-2010, 04:40 PM
I think there is quite a divide here:-

a/ You guys in the States who don't give a s**t.

b/ Us guys in UK/Europe for who it means EVERYTHING to see the Broncos play a meaningful game LIVE.

I was there at the old Wembley in '87 when we played an exhibition against the LA Rams and this is going to be 100 times better!!

Nomad
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
****!

this blows. . .

i suppose the exposure is good for the team and all that, but the added travel time sure isn't. . . at least we're facing an opponent who's also had to travel, but historically the broncos don't fare well in east coast games-- this is a hell of a lot farther. . .

A positive is SF has to travel even farther!!:D

I hope all the BRONCO fans over there get to go!!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 05:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/9130/london-trip-could-pose-a-distraction

Maybe a trip to London will be enough to make Brandon Marshall want to remain in Denver.

Or maybe not.

I wouldn’t blame Marshall, or any other member of the Broncos, if he wasn’t thrilled about the idea of playing a regular-season game overseas. But that’s what the team is going to have to deal with.

The Broncos announced they will play San Francisco on Oct.31 at Wembley Stadium as part of the NFL’s recent trend of playing a regular-season game in London. The Broncos have played several preseason games overseas over the years. Denver owner Pat Bowlen and coach Josh McDaniels expressed excitement about this opportunity in a statement released by the team.

“The Denver Broncos are honored to play in London against the 49ers as part of the NFL’s International Series,” Bowlen said. “Our organization has been fortunate to play in several American Bowls in previous years, including one in London, but to play a regular-season game overseas is truly special. It’s a wonderful, historic opportunity for our franchise and will be an unforgettable experience for our players, coaches and fans. I’m excited for the game in London and am thrilled that the Broncos will be part of the NFL’s continued international growth.”

Added McDaniels: “Playing in London in front of so many passionate and new football fans is a privilege and will be a great experience for our team. I’m excited for the opportunity, and I am certain that our players and coaches will share my enthusiasm. The previous games in London have had a playoff-like atmosphere to them, so that’s always a good thing to play in that type of an environment. We’ll be ready for the challenge.”

The game is a home game for San Francisco, so, at least, Denver doesn’t lose a home game because of this excursion.

That’s the only positive I can see. This trip is potential a distraction. It can tire a team and cause them to lose focus during the season.

Expect Denver to get its bye week directly after the London trip. That has been the recent trend. It wouldn’t be a shock if Denver is assigned to play at Jacksonville or Baltimore the week before the London game to help cut down on travel time. Those are the two most Eastern road opponents on Denver’s schedule.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
01-15-2010, 05:30 PM
As it happens I'll be in Bratislava at that time.

I'm not happy with this at all though. I'm against the whole concept of the International Series. I wouldn't be going that's for sure. My dream is the see the Broncos live and I will no questions about that. I'll be watching it in your back yard however. I want the whole culture like the tailgating and the whole gameday experience. The last place I want to see my first Broncos game is sat in expensive seats in an over rated stadium in an over rated and expensive city sat with people who more than likely wont have a clue who most of our players are. All in a fake and sanitised atmosphere. No thanks.

America's Game? It should be kept that way.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 05:35 PM

I'm not happy with this at all though. I'm against the whole concept of the International Series. I wouldn't be going that's for sure. My dream is the see the Broncos live and I will no questions about that. I'll be watching it in your back yard however. I want the whole culture like the tailgating and the whole gameday experience. The last place I want to see my first Broncos game is sat in expensive seats in an over rated stadium in an over rated and expensive city sat with people who more than likely wont have a clue who most of our players are. All in a fake and sanitised atmosphere. No thanks.

Great points - I would not mind if it were a preseason game, but during the season - there is too much on the line to have to contend with extra travel time, being in a strange country, etc.

Apollo
01-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Travelling to London has seemed to work out for teams in the past, most notably the Giants but also other teams that have come to London have gone on and had good streaks.

I understand though, for teams from the West, it's a bit of a trek and could tire them out.

I for one will be at the game and I'm sure it'll be one of the best experiences in my life! :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Travelling to London has seemed to work out for teams in the past, most notably the Giants but also other teams that have come to London have gone on and had good streaks.

I understand though, for teams from the West, it's a bit of a trek and could tire them out.

I for one will be at the game and I'm sure it'll be one of the best experiences in my life! :salute:

First - :welcome: to Broncos Forums - and that is GREAT that you and other Bronco fans over there will get to see the Broncos play in person :salute: Cheer them on for all of us

Apollo
01-15-2010, 08:54 PM
First - :welcome: to Broncos Forums - and that is GREAT that you and other Bronco fans over there will get to see the Broncos play in person :salute: Cheer them on for all of us

Thanks very much. It'll be a great experience for all those in attendance. The previous NFL UK games have been packed out with great atmosphere.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks very much. It'll be a great experience for all those in attendance. The previous NFL UK games have been packed out with great atmosphere.

Have you attended any of those other games?

Apollo
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Have you attended any of those other games?

Yes I have attended before and the atmosphere is always excellent. The players often state it's like being at a Home game.

Nothing compares to watching it in it's home, but watching the Broncos in London would be an awesome experience providing I get tickets.

Sparkie
01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9765

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The NFL will announce that the Broncos will traval to London on Sunday, Oct. 31, to face the San Francisco 49ers as a part of the NFL's International Series.

YESSSSSSSSSS !!!! GO BRONCOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:defense: :defense: :defense: :defense: :defense: :defense: :defense: :defense:

(Is that enough east-side-of-Atlantic enthusiasm for you, football fans??
Heard about this news at 2am in the morning and just had to log on!! :madgrin: )

Good for you, Sharkie, Sparkie, Den 21, Manchester, and whoever else is there!! My wife's up for overseas starting this next cycle....we have Lakenheath, all of Germany, and Aviano, so we'll see!!

Thanks, Nomad! :) Hopefully see you at Wembley, then! :salute:

Says a lot about the Broncos organisation that they're prepared to do it. Getting 2 teams over to Wembley from the West coast is no mean feat.

ManBronc: You're entitled to your opinions, and I hope you get to see the Broncs at home at Mile High one day ... but ... shame on you. Poor attitude. :tsk:

For me, with health not being so great and monies not being in huge abundance, a trip to the States is right out of the question. So I'm jumping at the chance to see the Broncos come over here and play just 150 miles from my home.

Last year I went to the London NFL International game for the first time and - even though the NE@TB game was so one-sided - the atmosphere ROCKED.

And to my eyes most of the 84,000+ people in Wembley stadium last year DID have a clue, they were die-hard fans.

The atmosphere was NOT "fake and santitised". My one regret about it though is that we didn't know the TB home game culture enough to respond to the "TAMPA - BAY!" drumbeat that rolled out across the stadium every now and then. Suggestion to NFL: maybe this year the SF team calls and chants can be included in the ticket package and gameday programme so fans from other teams can join in? (Oh and I'm looking forward to some cheeky "INN - COMM - PLEET!" calls from Broncos fans when SF are on offence ... :madgrin: )

I will admit that the atmosphere at the London game depends on what the "home" team do with it. But Tampa Bay put on a GREAT show last year - and their provision of TB Battle Flags on every seat was absolutely inspired, 84,000 people waving flags really added to the atmosphere (and the flags made a great souvenir).

Having only ever seen the game on TV before, it was great to witness what actually happens on and off-field during an NFL game - cheerleaders, mascot, team benches, the setup & layout of the field, the chain team at work, where the referee & officials stand during each play, etc etc.

Kudos to the Broncos AND the 49ers for being prepared to travel the distance for NFL fans in Europe. Let's hope and pray the experience is a great one for EVERYONE. :salute: :salute:

PS: The new Wembley stadium isn't "over-rated". It's FANTASTIC compared to the cramped tumbly-down old stadium that I saw hockey internationals and U2 at during the 80s (well, "saw" in inverted commas, the sightlines at the old Wembley were awful).

The stadium food was over-expensive and crap, yes. But the views of the field were great. And the stadium staff were helpful and friendly. I think they enjoyed having a football crowd that was good-natured for once. :madgrin:

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2010, 02:34 AM

I guess this is good...
Dont they always show this game on TV across the country???
If so, I wouldn't usually see this game most likely, so now I will!

This game will not be shown nationally. It will be shown just like all the rest of the regular Sunday games.

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 02:57 AM
The NFL better give both the Broncos and 49ers a bye the following week. It can take days to recover from jet lag, let alone an athlete recovering from an NFL game and then preparing to play just a few days later.

I understand the NFL wants to expand the popularity of the sport, but if he actually thinks he's going to get a team based out of London in the near future, he doesn't have a clue.

coming back to the sates is not as bad as going over is.. that is when the body clock gets screwed up..

at least the games is on the same time cycle they are used to.

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 02:58 AM
****!

this blows. . .

well actually this is really a west coast game for Europe.:laugh:

Overtime
01-16-2010, 03:05 AM
not really too happy about this. i don't know if it counts as a home game or away game, but if it counts as a home game, then it's a load of crap.

um no, the game will air on CBS.

Broncolingus
01-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Didnt Denver lose an exhibition game in England when Reeves was coaching many years ago...

...uh, someone told me that er something.

SoCalImport
01-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Sweet! I've never been to Wembley stadium before. the wife and I have been wanting to go play tourist in London ever since moving to Scotland. I'll use that to my advantage.

"btw, sweet thing. We'll be attending an event at historic wembley while we're there. won't that be great?!"

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
ManBronc: You're entitled to your opinions, and I hope you get to see the Broncs at home at Mile High one day ... but ... shame on you. Poor attitude. :tsk:

Poor attitude for feeling for the thousands of people who wont get to see their team. :confused:

The average attendance at Candlestick is 69,732

link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Lets say for arguments sake that there is 3 to 4,000 neutrals in there and the rest would be 49ers or Broncos fans. So say 66,000 Broncos and Niners would be there.

The capacity at Wembley is 90,000. Out of that 90,000 that will go how many will be Broncos or Niner fans? Certainly less than half possibly no more than a quarter. Straight away there that is at least 40,000 less fans that will get to see their team that day.

For me, with health not being so great and monies not being in huge abundance, a trip to the States is right out of the question. So I'm jumping at the chance to see the Broncos come over here and play just 150 miles from my home.

I'm really sorry that you are not feeling in tiptop shape health wise at the moment and whatever is wrong I really hope that you get over it soon :salute: . Money is also a very big factor, it does cost a lot of money to head stateside. However I don't think either of those reasons are good enough to warrant games being brought over here. If money wasn't an object for me I would be over in Denver each year, I also have money concerns, I don't know when I'll make the trip but I will. I also really want to go to a Boca - River game in Argentina, my mates have spoken about it for years but there is always at least one of us (usually all of us) who haven't been able to afford it each year. That is no reason for Boca and River to hop on a plane over here just for our benefit.

You are certainly entitled to go and see the boys where they are on the doorstep. It is a chance of a lifetime to see te Broncos. I genuinely hope you enjoy it.

Last year I went to the London NFL International game for the first time and - even though the NE@TB game was so one-sided - the atmosphere ROCKED.

The atmosphere was NOT "fake and santitised". My one regret about it though is that we didn't know the TB home game culture enough to respond to the "TAMPA - BAY!" drumbeat that rolled out across the stadium every now and then. Suggestion to NFL: maybe this year the SF team calls and chants can be included in the ticket package and gameday programme so fans from other teams can join in? (Oh and I'm looking forward to some cheeky "INN - COMM - PLEET!" calls from Broncos fans when SF are on offence ... :madgrin: )

Sorry Sparkie but I feel you proved my point that it is indeed fake and sanitised. By your own admission you didn't know the Tampa Bay culture to me that equals sanitised as there are not enough people there to give it the Tampa Bay gameday feel. Your suggestion for teams calls and chants to be included with the ticket and programme = fake in my eyes. Imagine if United played Liverpool in New York and the fans there were given the words to United and Liverpool songs do you think that would make it a real Premier League atmosphere?

Again I hope for your sake that I am wrong on this but don't be expecting many people to join in with the IN - COM - PLETE chants. I remember a thread on here not so long back that there were plently of people who didn't know what it was until visiting Mile High so just like not knowing the Tampa Bay experience I can't see there will be many who will know the Broncos experience.

I will admit that the atmosphere at the London game depends on what the "home" team do with it. But Tampa Bay put on a GREAT show last year - and their provision of TB Battle Flags on every seat was absolutely inspired, 84,000 people waving flags really added to the atmosphere (and the flags made a great souvenir).

Again though unless they do that every home game it's a fake atmosphere and experience. It's the NFLUK experience.

On a side note, did they have cannons last year? If not then what is a Tampa touchdown without the cannons? (What I would do to see one of those cannons fire a cannonball in the the Glazers box.)

And to my eyes most of the 84,000+ people in Wembley stadium last year DID have a clue, they were die-hard fans.

Read this from a Pats fan who went last year

Now a week has gone since the game, and i have got my thoughts together and the imminence feeling of anti climax has subsided i can understand why and would like to discus it.
First of all I cant complain about any thing of my day. From door (south Birmingham) to stadium, 2 hours 15 and back home 3 hours. Tail gate very good this year and did add to the day. i didn't use the stadium facilitates because ive been there before and dont find the need to drink my self silly. The build up in the stadium was excellent this year i saw mainly pats and bucks shirts and it looked that way in the stadium. Sat in the top tear on the Pats goal line.

When the teams came out the Boys came down our end and the crowd went wild YEAAAA. then then Bucks came out with the fire works etc. a bigger YEAAAAAA . I thought with a split crowd and the noise pre game this is going to be an amazing atmosphere. I`m up waving my `small` New England flag. Sat down at the kick off. That was it.

I had a top on the shoulder `watch what your doing with that` some one up the row said to me. Yea OK i said it will only between plays. ( after all we all had payed £65 each).

Every one just sat there and `watched the game` like it was on the telly. Where had all the atmosphere noise gone. After several attempts of trying to get the section which was mixed fans getting behind the defence, I shouted my frustration at them and gave up with being a loan voice in the wilderness. I felt I could have had a conversation with the sidelines it was so quite. When some thing good did happen a pick off, touchdown, good run, The people around me would Murmur positive comments and politely clapping and some times would even stand up. I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED AT THE LACK OF CROWD INVOLVEMENT.

The people around me we nice people and I did talk to a very knowledgeable lady next to me and every one there were football fans, ITS JUST THE WAY WE WATCH SPORT. When we are involved in a minority sport we are all anoraks and wont to take everything in.

The game was a game off football, watching the superstars of the sport and seeing there excitation of the game was superb. But the expectation and excitement of over 10 months + a British, reserved crowd, lead to my feeling of disappointment.

The day as always was brilliant, and I will be going again hopefully, but only in the lower price seats, there is`nt a bad seat for view in the place. Hoping we can get the stadium rocking, ether soccer style with singing chanting or noise all game or like the yanks, when your team is on defence. but it wont happen because were British.

If the atmosphere is like a pro bowl, you wont find me going to Hawaii to watch it ;-)

I fear that person would be me.

PS: The new Wembley stadium isn't "over-rated". It's FANTASTIC compared to the cramped tumbly-down old stadium that I saw hockey internationals and U2 at during the 80s (well, "saw" in inverted commas, the sightlines at the old Wembley were awful).

The stadium food was over-expensive and crap, yes. But the views of the field were great. And the stadium staff were helpful and friendly. I think they enjoyed having a football crowd that was good-natured for once. :madgrin:

Most stadiums are fantastic compared to the Old Wembley. I hated that place. I wasn't comparing the new one to the old one. I was comparing to other stadiums. I personally don't think it is the best in London never mind the world. It has a good view yes it is big yes but that is it.

The way I see it is that the crowd play a part on the whole spectacle. Would the Premier League have the same appeal if no fans were there to watch it? I have been extremely lucky to grow up within walking distance to Old Trafford and started going to the matches regulary from the age of 7 or so. It became an obsession with me and my mates and it was and still is like a religion. It didn't matter if we won lost or drew. Yes we would be happy when we won, pissed off when we lost (which was quite a lot back then) but we were all happy in the knowledge that come 2 weeks away we would be back doing what we loved, watching our team play. I'm sure there are people all over the world who can relate to me with their own team and sport. Broncos fans in Denver, Cubs fans in Chicago, Lions fans in Brisbane, Cricket fans in Mumbai. Win or lose we have grown up knowing that our team will be there to play. Now that is no longer certain and it really pisses me off that that money is being seen as more important that the community that helped make the clubs/franchises in the first place. The NFL will say that they are doing this to give the opportunity to give more people the chance to watch their "product" (I hate using that term). It is all out $£$£$£$£$ though. They don't care whether the people going to the IS know the chants or not, all they care about is that you get a programme and as much merchandise as possible whilst no doubt paying twice as much as you would in America. They will put the NFL experience spin on it which will also be fake. "Want to tailgate like the Americans do? Great news you can! (kind off, what we really mean is that we will charge you £5 to join the Tailgate Party (TM). You can't bring your own bbq and beers to enjoy at the back of your car but go an purchase an overpriced burger and beer at one of several stalls we set up for you lucky people."

I respect your opinion I really do but if you think that I have a poor attitude for wanting to prevent the heart of communities being ripped out in the pursuit of £$£$£$£$£$ then we are on different planets when it comes to wanting a particular gameday experience.

I really don't want to put a downer on it for you. I hope you have the time of your life there, hopefully leaving with a W. :salute:

Nomad
01-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Here ya go Broncolingus

Broncos set to play in London
Denver will battle the 49ers in an Oct. 31 game at Wembley Stadium.
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Get your passports ready, the Broncos are headed to London.

The NFL and the team announced Friday that the Broncos will play the 49ers at London's Wembley Stadium on Oct. 31 as part of the league's international series of games. It will replace the game the teams were to play next season at San Francisco.

The London game will not affect the Broncos' schedule of eight home games at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"I think it's going to be exciting, crazy. I've never played out of the States before. It'll be a good experience for a lot of people," Broncos linebacker Andra Davis said. "It's one of those things that when you look back over your career, it will be one of the highlights."

The game, which will begin at 11 a.m. Mountain time and be televised by CBS, will mark the first time in franchise history the Broncos will play a regular-season game outside of the United States.

The team previously has played in seven exhibition games in Australia, England, Germany, Japan, Mexico and Spain.

The Broncos were approached by the league earlier this week to see if they would be interested in playing a regular-season game in London, and accepted the offer Thursday. The NFL will begin promoting the game during the broadcasts of the four playoff games this weekend.

"It's a situation you embrace," Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis said. "It's good for the game and good for the Denver Broncos."

The NFL said it is considering adding a second game in London in the 2010 season.

London has played host to a regular-season game each season since 2007, each in front of sellout crowds. The 2009 game featured the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers and was played in front of more than 84,000 fans.

The rest of the Broncos' 2010 schedule will be released in late spring, but the Broncos are likely to play a home game Oct. 24 and have their bye on Nov. 7, the Sunday after the game in London, to give players time to recover from the European travel.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels can surely ask his mentor, New England coach Bill Belichick, for advice on traveling — and winning — across the Atlantic.

"The previous games in London have had a playoff-like atmosphere to them, so that's always a good thing to play in that type of an environment," McDaniels said in a team statement. "We'll be ready for the challenge."

Broncos linebacker Mario Haggan said Friday he is planning to bring his wife and two children to London to experience Europe as a family.

But, Haggan said, the reason for the trip is clear.

"Hopefully, we'll be able to go over there and get a win," Haggan said.

Mike Klis contributed to this report. Lindsay Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Playing over the pond

The Broncos-49ers game will be the fourth in the NFL's series at London, which started in 2007. Each game at Wembley Stadium was sold out and was played in front of more than 81,000 fans.

Date Result Attendance

Oct. 28, 2007 Giants 13, Miami 10 81,176
Oct. 26, 2008 New Orleans 37, San Diego 32 83,226
Oct. 25, 2009 New England 35, Tampa Bay 7 84,254

The Broncos have played seven previous games in foreign countries, all in the preseason. The team is 3-4 in those games.

Date Site Opponent Result Attendance

Aug. 9, 1987 London L.A. Rams L, 28-27 72,786
Aug. 5, 1990 Tokyo Seattle W, 10-7 48,827
Aug. 15, 1992 Berlin Miami L, 31-27 60,813
July 31, 1994 Barcelona L.A. Raiders L, 25-22 37,406
Aug. 6, 1995 Tokyo San Fran. W, 24-10 48,526
Aug. 4, 1997 Mexico City Miami L, 38-19 104,629
Aug. 8, 1999 Sydney San Diego W, 20-17 73,811

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14204213?source=rss#ixzz0cmqlfj1F

Nomad
01-16-2010, 09:55 AM
BRONCOS are 0-3 in Europe, hopefully this will be their first win there!!:beer:

Nomad
01-16-2010, 10:33 AM
If we get tickets, then hopefully I'll be close enough to the gridiron to chomp some 49ers legs if assistance is needed on the D!

Already booked the Hotel.
How's that for enthusiasm!

I hope you and the others have a feeding frenzy with the FairyNiners (they need a jaws smilie).:D

I don't doubt the BRONCO fans over there will have all the hotels booked and tickets bought!! Just think last game I saw live was in Seattle at the Kingdome many moons ago!! Main thing is have fun with a BRONCOS win and hopefully the BRONCOS have a moment to meet with fans and sign autographs.

I wish the game was tomorrow!!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
And, even more important....

The Broncos are playing IN JACKSONVILLE this year so I GET TO GO TO ANOTHER GAME!!!!!

Oh, all the other southeastern US fans can come, too because the Faguars NEVER sell out! :beer:

HELL YEAH!!!

Ooops, I guess this was about London. Yay, good for you Brit fans, too. ;)

Den21vsBal19
02-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Ticket sorted, going to Wembley :rockon:

Apollo
02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
^ Where about you sitting?

Den21vsBal19
02-07-2010, 06:51 PM
^ Where about you sitting?
Section BK 118, row 16, seat 200..............down towards one of the endzones

Skinny
02-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Ticket sorted, going to Wembley :rockon:Congrats. This your first Broncos game den?

Den21vsBal19
02-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Congrats. This your first Broncos game den?
Nah, I'm an old timer :laugh:

Saw them at Wembley against the Rams in preseason '87 (I think it was), then back to back games against the Jets & Giants at Mile High in '92 ( strangely, despite I think a 5-11 season, we won both :confused).

Looking forward to it, and hopefully meeting a few people whilst I 'm at it :beer:

Elevation inc
02-11-2010, 01:41 PM
got my tickets section 521 seats 221-222, cant freakin wait first game in over six years.....its hard from italy ya know...lol.....i will take lots of pics and evaluate our perfect QB......from a closer perspective...AHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nomad
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
got my tickets section 521 seats 221-222, cant freakin wait first game in over six years.....its hard from italy ya know...lol.....i will take lots of pics and evaluate our perfect QB......from a closer perspective...AHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cool!! You taking a commercial flight or taking an AF hop to England??

Elevation inc
02-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Cool!! You taking a commercial flight or taking an AF hop to England??

ryan air from venice to london, cant wait!!!!!

Apollo
02-17-2010, 07:43 AM

You're sitting fairly close to me :D

Biz1
02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
For those of you planning on attending this game, be sure to purchase one of the programs from Wembley. A UK Bear fan mailed me one from the Chargers/Saints game in 08'. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of either team b/c it is really well done, about 150 pages long. Looks like a SB program!.

frenchfan
02-18-2010, 02:12 AM

Funny Jacksonville told the NFL hell no, so they pick the BRONCOS!!Don't forget our French fan here ! ;) :D

frenchfan
02-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Tickets are already available? :confused:

Jaws
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Tickets are already available? :confused:

They were selling them at the end of January Frenchie.

frenchfan
02-18-2010, 10:10 AM
They were selling them at the end of January Frenchie.:mad2::jaw::boom::frusty:

Damned.... I had too many troubles in january/february to take a look at that... I guess there are no more tickets available? :tsk:

Tboat
02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
:mad2::jaw::boom::frusty:

Damned.... I had too many troubles in january/february to take a look at that... I guess there are no more tickets available? :tsk:

I am pretty sure tickets are still available.
I brought a coupple of days ago.

Best Regards Kenneth

frenchfan
02-22-2010, 02:36 AM
I am pretty sure tickets are still available.
I brought a coupple of days ago.

Best Regards KennethThank you very much Kenneth... :salute: :beer:

I'll take a look as soon as possible... My troubles aren't over yet :(
I hope it won't be too late when I'll have the opportunity.

Take care.

Elevation inc
02-22-2010, 03:50 AM
if i remeber correctly more tickets go on sale in june as well i think they save 15,000 tickets for sale or something like that...not sure though......