PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Offensive coordinators

Dean
01-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Here is Profootball Weekly's analysis. IMO it is a fair ranking.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/11/ranking-the-offensive-coordinators

Posted Jan. 11, 2010 @ 6:24 a.m.
By PFW staff
After ranking the NFL's 2009 defensive coordinators from one to 32 last week, Pro Football Weekly has moved to the other side of the ball this week, with an exclusive ranking of the '09 offensive coordinators, some of whom no doubt remain on the radar screen for the head-coaching vacancy in Buffalo and could be considered for top jobs that we hear could possibly be opening up in a few NFL venues, most notably Oakland and Jacksonville.

Our rankings are based on extensive feedback from league sources and talent evaluators and a special formula devised by PFW that takes into account numerous variables, including the effect of injuries on each team.

If the performance of quarterbacks were compared with the output of every NFL offense, the rankings would be comparable, and it's a big reason why nearly every offensive-minded head coach in the NFL has experience coaching quarterbacks, and why the rankings of the top coordinators may closely mirror the performance of this year's top passers.

That said, many factors came into play, with three coordinators — Todd Haley, Alex Van Pelt and Greg Olson — not taking over their duties until the week before the regular season began. And balancing so many moving parts, with injuries taking a greater toll on some offenses than others, was also factored into the final rankings.

Coordinators are ranked from top to bottom, with insiders' comments on each. All quotes were obtained from pro personnel evaluators on the condition of anonymity. On teams where the head coach has the responsibility for the play-calling and is heavily involved in the coordination of the offense, we've rated the head coach rather than the coordinator. Additional responsibilities of coordinators are indicated in parentheses where applicable.

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR RANKINGS

1. Jason Garrett / Cowboys

2. Sean Payton / Saints (head coach)

3. Tom Moore / Colts

4. Mike McCarthy / Packers (head coach)

5. Norv Turner / Chargers (head coach)

6. Cam Cameron / Ravens

7. Brian Schottenheimer / Jets

8. Mike Heimerdinger / Titans

9. Mike Mularkey / Falcons

10. Bill Belichick / Patriots (head coach)

11. Brad Childress / Vikings (head coach)

12. Bruce Arians / Steelers

13. Ken Whisenhunt / Cardinals (head coach)

14. Gary Kubiak / Texans (head coach)

15. Kevin Gilbride / Giants

16. Josh McDaniels / Broncos (head coach)
Despite the surprising play of Kyle Orton early in the season when he was healthy, the Broncos' offense was not nearly as responsible for the team's eight wins this season as the defense, and a middle-of-the-pack finish was a mighty fall from where the Broncos' more explosive offense finished a year ago with Jay Cutler at the helm and Mike Shanahan calling plays.
SCOUT'S TAKE: "Do you think he would like to have Jay Cutler back now? He managed Kyle Orton extremely well, but the wheels came off the bus late in the year. How many guys have thrown two pick-sixes in the same game? They have an issue at quarterback that needs to be fixed. I think the kid is a great coach — you can see what he is trying to do with his packages, setting up defenses. But I'm not sure if he is emotionally stable enough to lead. One thing he did not learn from (former boss Bill) Belichick was how to address his players. He flies off the handle a lot."

17. Marty Mornhinweg / Eagles

18. Bob Bratkowski / Bengals

19. Dan Henning / Dolphins

20. Jimmy Raye / Niners

21. Dirk Koetter / Jaguars

22. Jeff Davidson / Panthers

23. Jim Zorn, Sherman Lewis / Redskins

24. Greg Olson / Buccaneers

25. Ron Turner / Bears

26. Brian Daboll / Browns

27. Todd Haley / Chiefs (head coach)

28. Scott Linehan / Lions

29. Tom Cable / Raiders (head coach)

30. Greg Knapp / Seahawks

31. Alex Van Pelt / Bills

32. Pat Shurmur / Rams

In order to get this to fit the allotted space, I had to delete explainations and evaluatuons of other teams. I found it to be an interesting read.

dogfish
01-15-2010, 09:05 AM
peyton manning's not listed nearly high enough. . . . :D

arapaho2
01-15-2010, 11:17 AM

In order to get this to fit the allotted space, I had to delete explainations and evaluatuons of other teams. I found it to be an interesting read.

as much as i cant stand the guy norve ought to be higher...that potent of a offense without a running game....but then again

HE HAS A ELITE QB WHO CAN OVERCOME SUCH ADVERSITY..

and he's got the boy genious about right..maybe a little high

SOCALORADO.
01-15-2010, 11:29 AM
1.Sean Payton
2.Mike McCarthy
3.Peyton Manning
4.Norv Turner
5.Ken Whisenhunt

Jason garrett is waaay tooo high to me.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-15-2010, 01:31 PM
as much as i cant stand the guy norve ought to be higher...that potent of a offense without a running game....but then again

HE HAS A ELITE QB WHO CAN OVERCOME SUCH ADVERSITY..

and he's got the boy genious about right..maybe a little high

The only reason he's ranked that high was our record. Had we gone 3-3 for the first six instead of 6-0 (loss to Bengals, OTL to Pats, loss to Cowboys - all were possible) and ended up 5-11 or so, he'd have landed in the bottom 1/4.

Lonestar
01-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey I thought Mike Mc coy was our OC.

arapaho2
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey I thought Mike Mc coy was our OC.

he is but mcd calls the offense..so he's the one listed

WARHORSE
01-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Screw the offensive playcalling.

Draft Oline and Dline.

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 03:12 AM
he is but mcd calls the offense..so he's the one listed

Actually he calls the plays into the QB but the OC draws up the Game plan and installs it..during the week. pretty sure that is how it works at Dove valley..

I'm not saying that Josh does nothing, but to say that the real OC does nothing or just because the guy calling in the plays is the OC is incorrect.

Broncolingus
01-16-2010, 03:25 AM

Draft Oline and Dline.

Damn straight, hoss...

To the question, I honestly have not idea other than someone who can get Denver TO and competitive in the ******* playoffs...

EMB6903
01-16-2010, 12:55 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Sean Payton
3. Dan Henning
4. Norv Turner
5. Josh Mcdaniels

WARHORSE
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Lets just get this straight.

If your quarterback is awesome and your offense is full of talent.....youre an AWESOME offensive coordinator.

Dan Reeves once said, "When Tony Dorsett came to us in Dallas, I all of a sudden became the best RB coach in football".

Lets not give credit where credit is not due.:salute:

spikerman
01-16-2010, 06:16 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Sean Payton
3. Dan Henning
4. Norv Turner
5. Josh Mcdaniels

I'm assuming you're kidding, right?

Dean
01-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Can anyone help me? I was interested in their comment on KO. I was trying to find other QBs that have thrown multiple pick sixes in one game. I couldn't find it and would appreciate anyone who can find it or point in a direction I haven't tried, yet.

The closest I came was the listing of all defensive players who have an interception for a TD. Here it is if anyone is interested.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=1960&year_max=2009&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&league_id=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=&is_active=&is_hof=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=def_int_td

EMB6903
01-16-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm assuming you're kidding, right?

and why is that?

wasnt Mcdaniels one of the main people responsible for the most explosive offense in NFL History?

I realize that its going to take Mcdaniels and this Denver offense more then 1 season to get fully comfortable. I remember Shanahan once saying that it usually takes a QB 3 years for him to learn his entire offense. I'd imagine Mcdaniels is just as complex.

spikerman
01-16-2010, 08:19 PM
and why is that?

wasnt Mcdaniels one of the main people responsible for the most explosive offense in NFL History?

I realize that its going to take Mcdaniels and this Denver offense more then 1 season to get fully comfortable. I remember Shanahan once saying that it usually takes a QB 3 years for him to learn his entire offense. I'd imagine Mcdaniels is just as complex. Well, for starters they're ranking the '09 offensive coordinators. Denver's offense this year didn't scare anybody and was less than mediocre. They couldn't throw the ball down the field, they couldn't score TDs within the redzone, no 1000 yard rusher, etc. McDaniel's past performance doesn't have anything to do with this year. This year the Broncos were extremely subpar offensively and I don't see how McDaniels could possibly be rated in even the top half of the league if a person looks at it objectively.

EMB6903
01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Well, for starters they're ranking the '09 offensive coordinators. Denver's offense this year didn't scare anybody and was less than mediocre. They couldn't throw the ball down the field, they couldn't score TDs within the redzone, no 1000 yard rusher, etc. McDaniel's past performance doesn't have anything to do with this year. This year the Broncos were extremely subpar offensively and I don't see how McDaniels could possibly be rated in even the top half of the league if a person looks at it objectively.

My mistake. I must have read the topic wrong but my list wasnt based off just this year. Im not ignorant enough to base judgement on Mcdaniels 1st season in Denver teaching a new scheme with a mediocre QB at best. Mcdaniels was extremely successful calling the plays in New England for 4 years dont base hos playcalling ability on just this year.

spikerman
01-16-2010, 08:35 PM
My mistake. I must have read the topic wrong but my list wasnt based off just this year. Im not ignorant enough to base judgement on Mcdaniels 1st season in Denver teaching a new scheme with a mediocre QB at best. Mcdaniels was extremely successful calling the plays in New England for 4 years dont base hos playcalling ability on just this year. Fair enough, but just remember that the "mediocre QB" is the QB that McDaniels wanted once he couldn't get Cassell and Cutler had to go. So in essence it was his handpicked guy. That's why I can't give him a pass for not having a star QB - he's the guy that McDaniels chose.

EMB6903
01-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Fair enough, but just remember that the "mediocre QB" is the QB that McDaniels wanted once he couldn't get Cassell and Cutler had to go. So in essence it was his handpicked guy. That's why I can't give him a pass for not having a star QB - he's the guy that McDaniels chose.

I never said Mcdaniels was the greatest GM. Just think hes a top 5 playcaller in this league.

spikerman
01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I never said Mcdaniels was the greatest GM. Just think hes a top 5 playcaller in this league. He might be, and maybe it's not fair of me to judge him by this season alone, but this year the play calling was, in my opinion, terrible. He was very predictable and unimaginative. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it gets better next year.

topscribe
01-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Yes, so I see the Bears' Turner is ranked way below McDaniels.

So if, in that scouts' opinion, McDaniels thinks Cutler could have gotten him
higher as an OC, then what happened to Turner? :look:

-----

Dean
01-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Sorry, I can't help you I don't follow the Bears.

sakic_avs
01-17-2010, 12:30 AM

Draft Oline and Dline.

Orton and the coaching aren't the problem. The big uglies are. When you can't even comlete a 7-step drop without being pressured and your backs are getting hit two yards behind the line of scrimmage by two or three defenders on every short yardage play the problem isn't the quarterback, the running back or the coach.

Dean
01-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Yes, they are not as good as last year and yes, they have had some glaring miscues that were burned into our brains. However, IMO they are not as bad as everyone is presently painting them to be.

Football Outsiders is a somewhat reputable and nonbiased organization. They have the Broncos ranked 6th in the league at run blocking this year and 12th in pass blocking. Here is the URL.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

sakic_avs
01-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Yes, they are not as good as last year and yes, they have had some glaring miscues that were burned into our brains. However, IMO they are not as bad as everyone is presently painting them to be.

Football Outsiders is a somewhat reputable and nonbiased organization. They have the Broncos ranked 6th in the league at run blocking this year and 12th in pass blocking. Here is the URL.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I have paid attention to there info a lot, but I cannot understand how were 6th in the running game. I'm a guy who likes statistical analysis, but that obvioudly doesn't tell the whole story.

I'd like to see some sort of statistical analysis of short yardage and red zone o-line.

Dean
01-17-2010, 07:28 AM
It is there under stuffed rank. We are twentieth. However look at the table that shows where we ran and our success there. How often did we run outside in short yardage?

Here is a perfect example that comes to mind. The media and fans were wanting Hillis to carry the ball in short yardage. He was given one carry from the FB position and didn't make it. The next play Moreno got the call on a stretch play (outside) and he converted.

As I have already said, the line has had some glaring failures but the play calling didn't do them any favors. Instead of cultivating our strengths we played to our weakness. :banghead:

A run outside in short yardage, even if unsuccessful, now and then normally help in loosening up the middle.

sneakers
01-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Hell, I could be a halfway decent offensive cordinator if you gave me the 1998 Broncos....all I would do is point and say "run that way".

Dean
01-17-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't follow. What about you coaching the '98 Broncos is pertinent to this thread?

:questionmark:

sneakers
01-18-2010, 02:22 AM
I don't follow. What about you coaching the '98 Broncos is pertinent to this thread?

:questionmark:

Well.....just as in baseball where a good offense can make a pitchers record better than the pitcher really is (see David Wells Yankee Career), a good offense can make a crappy coodinator look competent, likewise you could have Bill Walsh coaching the 2008 Lions offense and make people wonder how he got into the Hall of Fame.