PDA

View Full Version : Broncos need new offensive philosophy with Dennison, Turner leaving

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2010, 10:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14184384

With the departure of two longtime assistant coaches, the Broncos will need a new signature for 2010 and beyond.

The team that rushed for more yards than every other team in the NFL since 1995 will complete an offensive overhaul that began when Josh McDaniels was hired as Denver's head coach a little more than a year ago.

Offensive line coach Rick Dennison and running backs coach Bobby Turner have accepted job offers elsewhere in the NFL, cutting the remaining ties to the Mike Shanahan era on a Denver offense that featured six players who rushed for 1,000 yards or more in the team's well-known zone running game scheme.

"It will be strange not to be a part of that," said Dennison, who will be the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator. "I spent a lot of time with the organization and it will be strange, and difficult in a lot of ways, not to be part of what the Broncos do."

Turner, like Dennison a part of the Broncos' coaching staff since Shanahan was hired as head coach in 1995, has accepted Shanahan's offer to be the Washington Redskins' associate head coach and is preparing to move. He is expected to join the Redskins before the week is out.

The Broncos initially refused permission for the Redskins to interview Turner, whom Shanahan has called "the best running backs coach in the National Football League," but relented when Shanahan offered Turner the associate head coach title.

Turner and Dennison were significant voices in the Broncos' offensive game planning, with Dennison having coordinated the running game in Shanahan's final years with the team. Dennison and Turner, along with special-teams assistant Keith Burns, were the only position coaches from Shanahan's staff who were retained by McDaniels.

Their departures leave McDaniels with two major positions to fill as the team transitions to his offense. Offensive assistant Ben McDaniels, Josh's brother, is likely to receive heavy consideration for the running backs position.

This past season, the Broncos went from their zone run scheme, which features smaller, quicker offensive linemen firing out in the same direction, to more of a traditional straight-ahead, man-to-man blocking look. In a "hybrid" look that attempted to incorporate both styles, the Broncos struggled on short-yardage plays — converting only 34-of-64 times in third-down situations of 3 yards or fewer. The Broncos ranked 18th in the league in rushing, their lowest finish since 1994.

"There's no question what I'm used to doing. We didn't necessarily have the same philosophy," McDaniels said. "(But) we didn't try to put a square peg into a round hole, either."

McDaniels, who believes bigger is better along the line of scrimmage, is expected to beef up the Broncos' offensive front during the offseason.

"There is no question there is a little bit of a difference with what I was coming from, but you've got to either have the ability to change something to fit the scheme or you change what you're doing to fit what (players) you have, and that's kind of what we tried to do," McDaniels said. "We never said it was going to be one way or the other. We tried to marry some things together. Every offense is a hybrid of a lot of things. I don't think any offense is just one thing or another.

"We had some really good days doing it, and some not-so-good days."

Superchop 7
01-14-2010, 11:13 PM
The fix I like.

John Jerry- gotta beat Philly to this guy

Brandon Carter- Did not give up a sack in 08 (Pass happy Texas Tech), was booted from the team by Leach (Coach was fired) for (my best guess) a critical remark about going for a field goal. Carter was a team captain, holds bench press record at 625, and btw weighs 360 (John Jerry is 350).

These are round 3 and later picks, in a power type o-line, they could be steals.

Superchop 7
01-14-2010, 11:25 PM
I have no problem with Ben as an assistant.

But......c'mon

He is not even remotely a good choice here.

Tim Horton is a sound choice.

Ben is not.

Shazam!
01-15-2010, 12:29 AM
McDaniels, who believes bigger is better along the line of scrimmage...

This holds true on both sides of the ball.

Broncolingus
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
This holds true on both sides of the ball.

Agreed...

Dirk
01-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Amen! I long for the days of our line man to be a dominate force!

e-Lou-sive1
01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I seriously hope Mc Daniels doesn't hire brother because that would only indicate he is doing this out of pure nepotism and he knows his brother will not question his philosophy.it is one thing to rebuild the team to strengthen weak areas it's another thing to hire people who will give you the least resistance.McD will have the time and money to lure playoff bound offensive coordinators during the off season and I'm pretty sure some them wouldn't mind the opportunity of rebuilding a potential high octane offense like ours.To me New Orleans,Arizona,and maybe Pittsburgh (there not in the playoffs but Ben R usually has pretty good pass protection and like Orton he will stay in the pocket too long before releasing the ball.Mc D is under quite a bit of scrutiny right now so he should concentrate on focusing on our major problems like the blocking,opening up the running game,passing,redzone scoring weakness,special teams.To hire people you get along with is stupid because that is deviating from putting the best qualified personnel in those positions and that is not looking out for teams interest but his own.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I seriously hope Mc Daniels doesn't hire brother because that would only indicate he is doing this out of pure nepotism and he knows his brother will not question his philosophy.it is one thing to rebuild the team to strengthen weak areas it's another thing to hire people who will give you the least resistance.McD will have the time and money to lure playoff bound offensive coordinators during the off season and I'm pretty sure some them wouldn't mind the opportunity of rebuilding a potential high octane offense like ours.To me New Orleans,Arizona,and maybe Pittsburgh (there not in the playoffs but Ben R usually has pretty good pass protection and like Orton he will stay in the pocket too long before releasing the ball.Mc D is under quite a bit of scrutiny right now so he should concentrate on focusing on our major problems like the blocking,opening up the running game,passing,redzone scoring weakness,special teams.To hire people you get along with is stupid because that is deviating from putting the best qualified personnel in those positions and that is not looking out for teams interest but his own.

Shanahan's first hire at Washington was his son, Kyle - OC. No one here knows what the Coach's brother is capable of. I really don't feel the Coach would put his brother in a responsible position, just because he gets along with him.

Dirk
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM

I agree. Most coaches hire those that will give them the least resistance. i.e. Shanny hiring his son and Turner.

It is how he delivers that matters.

arapaho2
01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
wow!!! from gophering coffee, wipeing the chaulkboards and rubbing ortons feet

to Running backs coach!!

we are in good hands :elefant:

dogfish
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Their departures leave McDaniels with two major positions to fill as the team transitions to his offense. Offensive assistant Ben McDaniels, Josh's brother, is likely to receive heavy consideration for the running backs position.

LMFAO!

at least his high school background assures us that he's qualified. . .

:rolleyes:

Ravage!!!
01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Marty Schottenheimer used to get so much crap for hiring his brother (Kurt). He would be the Special teams coach, to Defensive backs coach.. I think he even was a DC. But the only true success he had was when he was some minor coach for Marty.... hiding under his brother's shadow. Kurt used to get SOOOOOO mad in interviews ... "Anyone who thinks I'm only being hired because Marty is my brother is just ignorant!"

But everyone knew that Kurt Schottenheimer sucked, and only got his job because he was related to Marty.

Ravage!!!
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Difference being... Kyle Shanahan wasn't a ball boy prior to becoming the OC in Washington. He was the OC in Houston, who had the QB with the highest yardage totals, and the WR with the highest yardage totals in the NFL.

Sure Mike hired his son because it would be great working with your kid, but its not like Kyle was being promoted to a job he didn't already show he was prolific at.

arapaho2
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
LMFAO!

at least his high school background assures us that he's qualified. . .

:rolleyes:

hey this guy has some serious coaching ability...its nowhere near josh downgrading the broncos coaching expirience or akin to him playing lessor talented players cause...they're his boys

At Massillon Jackson High School in 2008, McDaniels coached quarterbacks and assisted with play calling and opponent scouting. He spent 2006-07 as a quarterbacks coach at Canton McKinley

you dont get to be qbs coach at a ohio highschool without some serious knowledge of the professional game

Ravage!!!
01-15-2010, 12:06 PM
:kicks my brother for not becoming an NFL head-coach so I could get a coaching job:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
As you all knoow I always stand behind our coach, but it's hard to see that we're changing for the better because even though we are, we had a legacy previously. It's like if your family was an empire rich with tradition and the new head of the family decides to completely revitalize while destroying your traditions. I guess it is a business.

/StopRantingLouis

WARHORSE
01-15-2010, 02:14 PM
The one and only philosophy I want is called "Win The Superbowl".

I dont care how we do it.

JUST DO IT. /__

Thats a nike swoosh btw.:coffee:

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 03:24 AM
I guess hiring his brother that has little or no experience to do RB is kind a like having an ex LB as your OLINE coach. Neither one had any experience.

IF the running game was going to be as high a priority as the ZBS was back then then I would be really concerned, but since this is going to be a short passing offense then he has time for OJT.

Not like he has nothing but rookies to coach up.

I also suspect the OLINE coach coming in will know a bit about RB's also.

Broncolingus
01-16-2010, 03:27 AM
The one and only philosophy I want is called "Win The Superbowl".

I dont care how we do it.

JUST DO IT. /__

Thats a nike swoosh btw.:coffee:

I agree...

I'm getting to be an old fart now (nothing like Clay though thank God) but that's about the bottom line for me now too after the past 10+ years...

dogfish
01-16-2010, 03:49 AM
I guess hiring his brother that has little or no experience to do RB is kind a like having an ex LB as your OLINE coach. Neither one had any experience.

well, unless you count the 8 years dennison spent as a pro player and 15 he spent as a pro coach or assistant in some capacity or other-- if you don't count those, then yea, their experience level is pretty much the same. . . .

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 04:06 AM
well, unless you count the 8 years dennison spent as a pro player and 15 he spent as a pro coach or assistant in some capacity or other-- if you don't count those, then yea, their experience level is pretty much the same. . . .

Playing LB is nice but it is does not have ANY resemblance to knowing what is going on in the trenches as an OLINE guy and certainly not a clue about the different positions that are played there. each one of them different..

So when mike made him the replacement for Gibbs yep he was ready for that.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Playing LB is nice but it is does not have ANY resemblance to knowing what is going on in the trenches as an OLINE guy and certainly not a clue about the different positions that are played there. each one of them different..

So when mike made him the replacement for Gibbs yep he was ready for that.

Huh? Dennison worked under Gibbs for YEARS. Sure he was a LB once, but geez at least he played pro ball! You're right though, JR. After 20+ years of playing and coaching at the professional level, he must know nothing about being an O-line coach. McDaniel's brother, however, is a RB genius after being a QB coach at the high school level...

Yep, I totally see a comparison there. :smack:

Ravage!!!
01-16-2010, 11:42 AM
You see players coach different than what they played in the NFL allllllllllllll the time in the NFL. Thats what being a coach is about, knowing football. Its silly to think that just because you played WR in the NFL, you can't coach a QB or a RB. Its silly to th ink that because you play LB, doesn't mean you don't know how to coach OL.

Seems these guys have been coaching "outside" their playing position for longer than they were playing it. What should they know better now?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Even though Dennison played on the defensive side of the ball, once he started coaching, I am sure he gained "over all" knowledge on both sides of the ball, thru practices, coaches meetings, etc. I am not ready to downplay Coach McD's brother yet - if he does take over as a specific coach, let's not forget that he grew up around football - his dad coached football, and he had to be exposed to all phases of coaching as well.

Ravage!!!
01-16-2010, 12:15 PM
McDaniel's brother, however, is a RB genius after being a QB coach at the high school level...

In all seriousness though, it does make you wonder just how much respect he's going to get from the RBs themselves. They are going to know his backround and experience, and lack-there-of.

They also know they had one of the best in the NFL, and are now being coached by a HS coach. Now, I know that its not like McD's brother will be completely running the show, and be left alone and be completly in charge of the RBs like Turner would be.... but still.

Ravage!!!
01-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Hmmm...seems to be a lot of LBs that are HCs now. I guess they dont know WHAT THE HECK is going on in the game.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Huh? Dennison worked under Gibbs for YEARS. Sure he was a LB once, but geez at least he played pro ball! You're right though, JR. After 20+ years of playing and coaching at the professional level, he must know nothing about being an O-line coach. McDaniel's brother, however, is a RB genius after being a QB coach at the high school level...

More than just a coach at the high school level

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9616

McDaniels worked for the University of Minnesota as a graduate assistant under Head Coach Glen Mason from 2004-05. The Golden Gophers posted a 7-5 record and earned a berth in the Music City Bowl during each of those two seasons with McDaniels working with the wide receivers in 2004 and the defensive backs in 2005.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
In all seriousness though, it does make you wonder just how much respect he's going to get from the RBs themselves. They are going to know his backround and experience, and lack-there-of.

They also know they had one of the best in the NFL, and are now being coached by a HS coach. Now, I know that its not like McD's brother will be completely running the show, and be left alone and be completly in charge of the RBs like Turner would be.... but still.

If the RBs don't like it, then they're malcontent cancers and they'll just get benched and released/traded later. ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
More than just a coach at the high school level

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9616

McDaniels worked for the University of Minnesota as a graduate assistant under Head Coach Glen Mason from 2004-05. The Golden Gophers posted a 7-5 record and earned a berth in the Music City Bowl during each of those two seasons with McDaniels working with the wide receivers in 2004 and the defensive backs in 2005.

So, he worked with WRs and DBs? My goodness, by JR's logic, how does he know ANYTHING about RBs, then?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2010, 01:18 PM
So, he worked with WRs and DBs? My goodness, by JR's logic, how does he know ANYTHING about RBs, then?

Guess you need to ask JR that question

Lonestar
01-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Ah the hate continues for anything Josh, for any reason.

Seems he brought in a Bunch of top level coaches last year. And now there is some talk, I repeat some speculation of his brother being promoted to an open slot on the coaching roster and the boo birds all sing in chorus.

Talk about predictable the barbershop quartet chimes in total harmony.

Now we have lost perhaps the best) between 20's RB coach currently coaching. Let's wait and see if Josh does not raid the chargers staff one more time for there RB coach.

Let's also hope that Josh is spending time on here learning from our BSQ of boo birds on how he should be running the Broncos. Ahahahahahaha

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2010, 01:22 PM
From the article I posted:

"Their departures leave McDaniels with two major positions to fill as the team transitions to his offense. Offensive assistant Ben McDaniels, Josh's brother, is likely to receive heavy consideration for the running backs position."

Also, the above is ONCE AGAIN - speculation from a member of the press - or ONCE AGAIN - ASSuming

BroncoWave
01-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I love how so many of you are using PURE speculation that he COULD hire Ben McD to bash Josh McD some more. You guys absolutely crack me up.

broncobryce
01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
If a guy can coach, he can coach-period. It appears the Mcdaniels family knows football, so give the guy a chance before you tell me how stupid he is.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2010, 04:58 PM
If a guy can coach, he can coach-period. It appears the Mcdaniels family knows football, so give the guy a chance before you tell me how stupid he is.

What gives you that idea? j/k. ;)