PDA

View Full Version : Server maintenance this weekend

Tned
02-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Sometime this weekend, probably late at night (2am or so) or first thing Sat or Sun morning (6-8am), depending on when I am up, I am going to be doing some Server maintenance.

I want to upgrade Apache (the web server) and MySQL (the databased that drives the forum), and a few other things to the latest versions.

Assuming there are no problems, most of this will be done behind the scenes, with no down time, but it will be necessary to reboot the server at least once, and there is always the chance that I run into complications.

So, if you can't access the server or get any weird errors, it is most likely because I am in the middle of doing the Server maintenance/upgrades.

fcspikeit
02-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Sometime this weekend, probably late at night (2am or so) or first thing Sat or Sun morning (6-8am), depending on when I am up, I am going to be doing some Server maintenance.

I want to upgrade Apache (the web server) and MySQL (the databased that drives the forum), and a few other things to the latest versions.

Assuming there are no problems, most of this will be done behind the scenes, with no down time, but it will be necessary to reboot the server at least once, and there is always the chance that I run into complications.

So, if you can't access the server or get any weird errors, it is most likely because I am in the middle of doing the Server maintenance/upgrades.

Thanks for the heads up! :salute:

I have been getting the explorer can't find page a lot in the last couple days. I have to go back through my Favorites, user CP page to get back in. Would this have something to do with that?

broncosfanscott
02-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Thanks for letting us know Tned. Hopefully things will go smoothly for you.

Tned
02-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up! :salute:

I have been getting the explorer can't find page a lot in the last couple days. I have to go back through my Favorites, user CP page to get back in. Would this have something to do with that?

It shouldn't. The only problem that I am trying to fix, that crops up very rarely (ever 4 weeks or so), is MySQL crashing. While it usually restarts itself and only causes a few minutes of problems, where you receive a vBulletin Database error, I want to upgrade to the latest MySQL version to hopefully get rid of that.

When I get the blank page, which is essentially a timeout I think, I can usually just go up to the URL click in that and hit enter to reload the page. I can's say for sure what causes the time out. I'm not sure if it is a server issue or an internet route issue.

I haven't been getting more in the last few days, then say the last couple months, it is just a random thing. If it has increased for you, it is possible there is a route problem between you and the server, maybe a line or router down, so internet traffic is being rerouted over other routes and they might be overloaded. But, that's just a guess.

I hope the upgrades help that problem, but I don't think it will change it.

DallasChief
02-29-2008, 08:38 AM
It's about time you did some clean up around here.

j/k :D

Tned
03-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Siince I didn't get up until after 10:00 am this morning, there were too many people on.

So, tomorrow I will get up around 8 or so (maybe earlier) and work on the changes. So, there might be brief outages tomorrow morning (should be say 5 minute in length), unless the updates go wrong, and I need to roll back or have other problems. Most likely, most people will never know it happened.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Since I didn't get up until after 10:00 am this morning, there were too many people on.

So, tomorrow I will get up around 8 or so (maybe earlier) and work on the changes. So, there might be brief outages tomorrow morning (should be say 5 minute in length), unless the updates go wrong, and I need to roll back or have other problems. Most likely, most people will never know it happened.

I can assure you I will not notice if it is indeed before 0800..

HolyDiver
03-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Are you up yet?

Tned
03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Are you up yet?

Yea, I wound up doing it overnight. I had a problem crop up in preparing for the updates, which had me dealing with support and doing research until real late, so I just stayed up and started the updates around 4:00am and finished around 6:00am with only two quick reboots during that time. Hit the sack around 6:30.

From what I can tell, all is working good. We are on the latest version of Apache (webserver), PHP (programming language/script vBulletin is written in) and all related security and performance apps.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Yea, I wound up doing it overnight. I had a problem crop up in preparing for the updates, which had me dealing with support and doing research until real late, so I just stayed up and started the updates around 4:00am and finished around 6:00am with only two quick reboots during that time. Hit the sack around 6:30.

From what I can tell, all is working good. We are on the latest version of Apache (webserver), PHP (programming language/script vBulletin is written in) and all related security and performance apps.

I thought I saw an arrow zing by a moment ago..

Tned
03-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I thought I saw an arrow zing by a moment ago..

:laugh: