PDA

View Full Version : Ekuban, Engleberger re-signed.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-28-2008, 08:32 PM
NFL Network is reporting that Ebenezer Ekuban has been re-signed to a 1 year deal and John Engleberger has been re-signed to a 3 year deal.

:shakehands:

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Engleberger better not be a starter!

Bronco9798
02-28-2008, 09:17 PM

At least he can stop the run at the DE position. He isn't a great pass rusher but he is usually around the ball on running plays. I'll give him that. At least he plays hard.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-28-2008, 09:21 PM
At least he can stop the run at the DE position. He isn't a great pass rusher but he is usually around the ball on running plays. I'll give him that. At least he plays hard.

yeah his run defense really showed.

anyway we have a lot of defensive ends now.
theirs still moss and crowder to look out for. so when its training camp theirs going to be a battle for the starting spot. who ever does the best deserves it.

if engleberger does the best well then he deserves to start.

fcspikeit
02-28-2008, 09:29 PM

Imagine how good we would be if everyone on our team played as hard as Engleberger.. If he had the talent of a guy like Rice he would be the best DE in football.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
...and the peasants rejoiced...

topscribe
02-28-2008, 09:31 PM

If Ekuban is healthy, and if he plays to the level he did in the last half of the
2006 season, then Engelberger won't start. Ekuban was a beast during that
time.

I surely hope he can be again . . .

-----

Bronco9798
02-28-2008, 09:31 PM
He must not of played at Tenn or Pitt.

fcspikeit
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
...and the peasants rejoiced...

LOL

:laugh: :elefant: :laugh:

fcspikeit
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
We now have plenty of DE's maybe we could trade a couple :D

shank
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM
glad to have ek around. he will be a big help in run defense, but can also pin his ears back and get after the qb if he needs to. he always had pressure when he was healthy, our problem was DTs in 05 too.

i agree that engelberger has a great motor, and if he was more talented physically, he would be one of the best in the league.

lets get some DTs!

nevcraw
02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I hope this does not mean they are not ready or not expecting the Crowder years to begin..

Bronco9798
02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I hope this does not mean they are not ready or not expecting the Crowder years to begin..

Competition is what it means. You have to have competition to compete and get better. Just cause you sign a guy doesn't mean he makes the final 53. You have to bring and sign people to compete.

nevcraw
02-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Competition is what it means. You have to have competition to compete and get better. Just cause you sign a guy doesn't mean he makes the final 53. You have to bring and sign people to compete.

That's a given. But thanks. I was really just speculating wether they have faith in TCrow to become a full timer starter at the DE position.

Scarface
02-28-2008, 09:55 PM

Hopefully he's cut in camp because our other DEs are tearing it up.

dogfish
02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
i'm glad we re-signed EE, but 3 years for engelberger? he's okay as strictly a depth player, but i hate to see him used for much more than that. . . .

bmarsh15
02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
"The Broncos signed defensive end John Engelberger to a two-year contract extension tonight, his agent Bob Lattinville said.

Terms were not disclosed. The Broncos now have six unrestricted free agents remaining, led by kicker Jason Elam.

Engelberger has been with Denver for the past three years and started much of last season. Engelberger became a free agent when his contract voided because of play time in 2007."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8398975

He was signed to a 2 year year deal not 3

NameUsedBefore
02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I've always liked Engelberger's play, Ekuban's as well. I've just never understood the dislike of the former when he plays pretty well for what he is (a backup/utility player).

JONtheBRONCO
02-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Woo.... Woo...

Dreadnought
02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Glad they're both signed; at worst they're competition. EE is a pretty good DE, and I don't think its never a bad thing to have guys with great motors and work ethics on the roster, even if they don't have all the talent in the World. Much better than loafers and goldbricks with all the physical talent in the World. That being said, I don't think these signings fix much of anything that has to get fixed, but good as far as they go.

Ideally, of course, it would be nice to get both in one package.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Nice rotational guys, but Dumervil and Crowder deserve the starting spots right now. :)

Watchthemiddle
02-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Imagine how good we would be if everyone on our team played as hard as Engleberger.. If he had the talent of a guy like Rice he would be the best DE in football.

Everyone would be Jared Allen is the next Engleberger.

Man has got heart, just not as talented as a top notch pass rusher in the NFL is.

broncosfanscott
02-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Nice rotational guys, but Dumervil and Crowder deserve the starting spots right now. :)

Dumervil has more than proven his case and I would like to see Crowder as well. I saw a lot in Crowder last year and boy can he run fast.

Glad to see Ekuban taken care of. I just hope he is healthy this year because he left a big hole due to his injury.

xzn
02-29-2008, 03:49 AM
Against a team we are gameplanning to stop the run, in goal-line and shortyardage situations, heck even on most first downs I wouldn't mind seeing Ebenezer and 'berger in as run stoppers.

Keep Elvis and Jarvis fresh for passing situations and gameplans. Crowder can play pass rushing DT and substitutional DE.

I think we are totally set at DE but obviously have a massive hole at DT. We need a starter and a rotational guy to add to Marcus and Mc Kinley.

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 03:53 AM
This takes DE off the draft/FA wish list. Now get to fixing the rest of the team.

dogfish
02-29-2008, 04:34 AM
more to come later, but ya know what i really hate about the re-signing of engelburglar? it's what the numbers game says. . . let's see-- we have kenny peterson and josh mallard, both 'tweeners who are more than capable of playing base end, both of whom were already under contract. . . and obviously, we also have a very talented trio of young ends with doom, moss and crowder. . . and we re-signed EE, a perfectly solid rotational end who plays the run well and still offers some pass rush. . . so why did we need engelburglar, again. . . ?

don't look now kids, but it just might indicate that peterson and mallard have a role in the teams plans at DT going forward. . . . :frusty:

:frusty:

okay, i'm done for now-- but anyone that wants to reassure me that this is nothing more than my over-active imagination and "shanahan paranoia" is more than welcome to. . . .

nevcraw
02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Hold the phone.. Unless I am mistaken EE is a free agent. Everything on DP and RMN said they signed Engleberger but that Ek was a FA.

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
i am sorry but in my opinion we should have let both go. marques douglas or justin smith would have been better options. and probably a difference of 4 or 5 mill.

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-29-2008, 09:33 AM
all i hope for now as far as our def ends go i s that moss can come back from his injury. i wanna see doom and moss teeing off on opposing qbs

HolyDiver
02-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Playing hard and playing well are two different things old timer.

mclark
02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
NFL Network is reporting that Ebenezer Ekuban has been re-signed to a 1 year deal and John Engleberger has been re-signed to a 3 year deal.

I'm glad Ekuban is coming back IF he is healthy enough to play. Engleberger? Journeyman. Weren't we going to try him at middle linebacker?

shank
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm glad Ekuban is coming back IF he is healthy enough to play. Engleberger? Journeyman. Weren't we going to try him at middle linebacker?

that was probably just 'forum talk.' i do know that after his combine people said he could play linebacker because he displayed a lot of speed and athleticism (maybe we should have tried it sooner, cause he seems to have lost this...)

topscribe
02-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Well, the Broncos need the journeymen, too. That's who provides the depth.

But I think it's a bit late in Engelberger's career to talk about such an extreme
switch of positions, isn't it?

-----

EddyMac87
02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
These guys will not start next year, but they will provide depth and leadership to the younger DE's on the squad.

fcspikeit
02-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Did we even sign Ebenezer? WTF! He is supposed to be going to the Raiders for talks.??

mclark
02-29-2008, 04:51 PM
that was probably just 'forum talk.' i do know that after his combine people said he could play linebacker because he displayed a lot of speed and athleticism (maybe we should have tried it sooner, cause he seems to have lost this...)

I was half-joking.

mclark
02-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, the Broncos need the journeymen, too. That's who provides the depth.

But I think it's a bit late in Engelberger's career to talk about such an extreme
switch of positions, isn't it?

-----

Just joking.

topscribe
02-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I was half-joking.

Just joking.

Well, I guess you just told a joke and a half. :laugh:

-----

nevcraw
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
where's the link on EE? guys he is still an FA

shank
02-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I was half-joking.

i wasn't. i read that he had a really good combine that triggered a lot of talk about him being switched to linebacker, and elevated his draft status.:salute:

Superchop 7
02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I told you.....Ekuban stays........the reason ? His wife Karen.

She will ride his ass like Zorro.

champbronc2
02-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Hopefully Ekuban stays healthy

I think he could do something.

bmarsh15
03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Here's the link, about the only major move we made while other teams improved a lot maybe Shanny wants to sign his own free agents and then go after the other ones but basically now theres only a couple quality free agents left make your move now Shanny Lance Briggs please.

myfoxcolorado.com

nj10
03-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Seems to me there are alot of quality free agents left...I don't understand how people are saying they've all been signed.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency;jsessionid=EA582C71033DDD2A9E8BD94727B5 F21F

check the list for every position...There are a hell of a lot of quality players left.

Italianmobstr7
03-01-2008, 07:15 PM
not a bad re-signing. Ekuban will add nice depth, and he's good against the run. I wonder how he'll hold up after that achilles injury though.

Dreadnought
03-01-2008, 10:46 PM
You know what I like about having guys like Engleberger on the roster? I think we've gone off the right track some time ago. Take a look at some of the Character issues this team has had over the last few years, and compare it with some of the key pieces of the 97/98 teams.

Terrell Davis, 6th round pick, great heart, work ethic. Obviously he didn't look that impressive coming out f school or he doesn't last 'til the 6th. I know he had a bonehead coach in GA, but his skills "on paper" weren't awesome in terms of size or speed.

Rod Smith - undrafted FA - became an alltime great through guts, application, and hard work. never an awesome physical specimen.

Ed McCaffery - Giants and SF didn't think he could play, yet maybe only Rod Smith was a better WR in our history. Guts, toughness, hands all made up for relative lack of raw speed.

Howard Griffith - does anybody outside of the Denver fan base even remember him? yet he was a quiet unselfish road grader, who was an integral part of the offense and made the running game go. Not many better blocking FB's ever.

The O-line. Undersized, and wouldn't talk, yet they dominated in the late 90's

I know there were some guys who talked a lot (Sharpe) or were knuckleheads (Romo), but those were players who didn't showboat, do endzone dances (just a simple salute, thank you), whine to the media, bitch about their lack of touches, etc. They just beat your brains out.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm getting less and less interested in guys who have nothing but raw talent and awesome combine grades working for them, and less than no interest in bringing in the next Javon Walker, Ashley Lelie, Daryl Gardner, you name it. I don't want Shaun Rogers at all either. I think any guy who busts his Ass isn't wasting a roster spot (within reason). Lets get more of them

Buff
03-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Love Engelberger's work ethic, hate that we have 2 260 pound defensive ends.

rcsodak
03-02-2008, 12:47 AM

You win THE MOST ANNOYING AVY AWARD!

But hey, whatever gets you attention, right? :coffee:

HolyDiver
03-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Hopefully he's cut in camp because our other DEs are tearing it up.

Dumervil, Moss, Crowder, Ekuban..............in that order. I like Peterson better than Engelberger too. We won't keep more than 5.

Dreadnought
03-03-2008, 09:29 AM
You know what I like about having guys like Engleberger on the roster? I think we've gone off the right track some time ago. Take a look at some of the Character issues this team has had over the last few years, and compare it with some of the key pieces of the 97/98 teams.
I guess what I'm saying is I'm getting less and less interested in guys who have nothing but raw talent and awesome combine grades working for them, and less than no interest in bringing in the next Javon Walker, Ashley Lelie, Daryl Gardner, Marcus Thomas, you name it. I don't want Shaun Rogers at all either. I think any guy who busts his Ass isn't wasting a roster spot (within reason). Lets get more of them

Previous post edited to account for current events. That's why I'll never get upset when we offer contracts to guys like Engleberger or Jackson. They may not make the roster in the end, but they'll work their asses off for that roster spot and stay off the Police blotter. If they get ate up in a game by a better player it won't be because they're taking plays off or loafing in general.