PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Clady, Phillips, or Rivers

Superchop 7
02-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Latest mocks are looking great for us !!!!!

You all know who I want (Phillips), but seriously, I have no problem if they pick up any of these guys.

The draft is deep at tackle, beyond Rivers, Connors, Phillips, the picking is real slim for other needs.

So, common sense says Phillips or Rivers, then pick up a tackle later on.

What do you think ?:defense:

underrated29
02-28-2008, 12:38 AM
I think phillips goes til rd 2.

I think connor, or rivers (which one is the mike) thats who i want and think we take.

JONtheBRONCO
02-28-2008, 01:17 AM
If we get the Robertson kid:

A) Stay where we are, and take Rivers... He is going to be a player.
B) Either stay where we are, or move back two or three spots, gain a pick and select the best OT.
C) Trade back, gain a pick, and maybe... JUST maybe, select Stewart or Mendenhall.

I would rather grab a LB, like Rivers, maybe even Conner. If we got Robertson and Rivers, our D would be immediately upgraded. If we grab a guy like Williams via free agency or even Wilson, we could live with either Lynch or Abdulla at saftey, and our corners would be set, with Paymah being the nickel. Doesn't look too bad to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mike tried to grab a guy like Boss Bailey either.

BroncoBJ
02-28-2008, 01:32 AM
I saw Philip and Rivers right next to each other and almost threw up.
I read it at a glance :lol:

But I actually want Phillips over Rivers or Clady.
I've been wanting a play making safety for a while.
Someone like a Sanders or Reed or someone of that calibur.

I dont know of Kenny will end up like them but I've been wanting it for some time now. Hopefully this is the year.
Plus hes from the U and I like Miami Players :salute:

sneakers
02-28-2008, 02:49 AM
I want the guy out of Boise State....I don't know his name, the Off. Tackle.

shank
02-28-2008, 02:58 AM
I saw Philip and Rivers right next to each other and almost threw up.
I read it at a glance :lol:

But I actually want Phillips over Rivers or Clady.
I've been wanting a play making safety for a while.
Someone like a Sanders or Reed or someone of that calibur.

I dont know of Kenny will end up like them but I've been wanting it for some time now. Hopefully this is the year.
Plus hes from the U and I like Miami Players :salute:

the biggest knock against phillips is that he doesn't make big plays. he's a solid S against the run, decen't but not great in coverage, but just doesn't seem to make game-changing plays...

I want the guy out of Boise State....I don't know his name, the Off. Tackle.

that's clady.

for me, between the three, it's a toss-up between rivers and clady, if i had to choose i'd take clady because we can get a better LB than OT at #42.

dogfish
02-28-2008, 03:20 AM
out of those three? clady, and it's not even close. . . .

BroncoAV06
02-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Could be interesting, Clady hs a real shot to be gone early and I think that if St. Lious is not happy with the health of Pace, they could take Jake Long at #2 leaving KC to grab Clady at 5. So many people got down on Phillips make you wonder..

Bronco9798
02-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Connor is a reach at 12 in my opinion. I wouldn't pay that type of money for him at 12. He is one of those guys that reminds me of a great college player and an average to mediocre type player at the next level. Just my opinion.

CoachChaz
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM
None of the LB's excite me at #12 unless it's moving Gholston to that position. I love Clady, but, yes...there's a chance he could be gone. I like Phillips, but is he worth the #12? On paper...no, but people laughed at Buffalo when they took Whitner really high 2 years ago and he's turned out to be a stud.

Assuming we can't move out of the #12 spot, I'm all for taking the BPA.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Just give me a case of beer and throw in the 1998 Broncos tape

Scarface
02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
None of the LB's excite me at #12 unless it's moving Gholston to that position. I love Clady, but, yes...there's a chance he could be gone. I like Phillips, but is he worth the #12? On paper...no, but people laughed at Buffalo when they took Whitner really high 2 years ago and he's turned out to be a stud.

Assuming we can't move out of the #12 spot, I'm all for taking the BPA.

Whitner was a much better prospect though.

jhns
02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
So many people got down on Phillips make you wonder..

One person got down on him and a bunch of other people just followed like sheep. He was rated high by everyone when the players where actually playing this season. It was about the time of the senior bowl that someone said something about him not being worth that much and then everyone just seems to follow the one. Just like what was happening to McFadden. Luckily for him, he had a killer combine and stopped it right after it started.

The ONLY reason people around here are getting down on him is because they want someone else real bad. Just look at the people that talk bad about him and then view their past threads. All of them are the "we must take this player or it will prove we can't draft" type of people. To narrow minded and ready to throw other players under the bus in order to get people on their side for the one player they want.

I would love any of these players. They are three very good players and all would help this team.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 01:48 PM
One person got down on him and a bunch of other people just followed like sheep. He was rated high by everyone when the players where actually playing this season. It was about the time of the senior bowl that someone said something about him not being worth that much and then everyone just seems to follow the one. Just like what was happening to McFadden. Luckily for him, he had a killer combine and stopped it right after it started.

The ONLY reason people around here are getting down on him is because they want someone else real bad. Just look at the people that talk bad about him and then view their past threads. All of them are the "we must take this player or it will prove we can't draft" type of people. To narrow minded and ready to throw other players under the bus in order to get people on their side for the one player they want.

I would love any of these players. They are three very good players and all would help this team.

Or Phillips really struggled his junior year and he did not do so well at the combine... oh and Denver already has 2 SS, and we have a bigger need at FS.

atwater27
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Clady all the way. If we stay where we are.

jhns
02-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Or Phillips really struggled his junior year and he did not do so well at the combine... oh and Denver already has 2 SS, and we have a bigger need at FS.

He didn't do well at the combine? Why? Based on him not getting a 4.3 40? I think you and many others care far to much for combine numbers.

He played very well in every year. He may not have looked like Ed Reed in his junior year, which is why some people are saying he didn't meet expectations, but he is still a great safety. Go watch him play. He is going to be a playmaker in this league and by far the best one in this draft. Again, when he was actually playing, noone said this stuff. All of his "bad play" has come after the season is over.....

Also, I'm pretty sure you fit in this "we must draft a RB" category if I remember your posts correctly. I have already explained your hate for him in that second paragraph of what you quoted. Don't hate on others just because you want one thing.

CoachChaz
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM

When did Phillips get labeled as a SS? Did I fall asleep for a few weeks?

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
When did Phillips get labeled as a SS? Did I fall asleep for a few weeks?

Yes you did Coach... since he has always been a SS. He is a tackling machine that struggles in coverage... good luck putting him at FS.

tubby
02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Clady all the way. If we stay where we are.

I'd be happy with him or Otah.

No one is talking about Otah, why?

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 02:24 PM
He didn't do well at the combine? Why? Based on him not getting a 4.3 40? I think you and many others care far to much for combine numbers.

He played very well in every year. He may not have looked like Ed Reed in his junior year, which is why some people are saying he didn't meet expectations, but he is still a great safety. Go watch him play. He is going to be a playmaker in this league and by far the best one in this draft. Again, when he was actually playing, noone said this stuff. All of his "bad play" has come after the season is over.....

Also, I'm pretty sure you fit in this "we must draft a RB" category if I remember your posts correctly. I have already explained your hate for him in that second paragraph of what you quoted. Don't hate on others just because you want one thing.

Or I've stated many times that I want Denver to trade back and get value! The only way I want Denver to select a RB is if we stay at 12. Read my many post! It's all about getting the best value! I'm not hating on anyone... you are more than welcome to your opinion... but you are the one attacking people... I'm just stating why Kenny Phillips is dropping down the draft charts. You don't have to believe me for what I say... hell I doubt 99% of the people on here could really care less what I say. After all, I'm just an every day joe just like you.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Because he is not viewed as someone althetic enough to fit our system....

Just my opinion... I'm not attacking you Tubby... sorry if my opinion holds no weight around here... I'm just a no body.

CoachChaz
02-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes you did Coach... since he has always been a SS. He is a tackling machine that struggles in coverage... good luck putting him at FS.

Ok...I was just curious why he is listed as a FS pretty much EVERYWHERE.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok...I was just curious why he is listed as a FS pretty much EVERYWHERE.

He had to play FS his senior year... before that we was a Strong Safety and as you already know... that was his better position. He is a projected SS in the NFL.

CoachChaz
02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
He had to play FS his senior year... before that we was a Strong Safety and as you already know... that was his better position. He is a projected SS in the NFL.

I think he played SS simply because of Merriweather. I would say he's better suited as a FS. The coverage skills are blown out of proportion in my opinion. NO FS can cover a slot guy for 6 or 7 seconds.

tubby
02-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Because he is not viewed as someone althetic enough to fit our system....

Just my opinion... I'm not attacking you Tubby... sorry if my opinion holds no weight around here... I'm just a no body.

That makes sense.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I think he played SS simply because of Merriweather. I would say he's better suited as a FS. The coverage skills are blown out of proportion in my opinion. NO FS can cover a slot guy for 6 or 7 seconds.

Well he played SS when Meriweather was there and he did a very good job at SS. He moved over to FS after Meriweather left and struggled. Maybe it was due to coaching, maybe learning a new position, maybe he just can't cover... fact is... this is why he is dropping down the draft charts.... His coverage skills were exposed. I think he is still worth every penny and all the hype if he is brought in as a SS. It is his natural position.

Think D.J. Williams on this one.... D.J. can play all linebacker positions, but he is amazing at WILL. Phillips is amazing at SS.

CoachChaz
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Well he played SS when Meriweather was there and he did a very good job at SS. He moved over to FS after Meriweather left and struggled. Maybe it was due to coaching, maybe learning a new position, maybe he just can't cover... fact is... this is why he is dropping down the draft charts.... His coverage skills were exposed. I think he is still worth every penny and all the hype if he is brought in as a SS. It is his natural position.

Think D.J. Williams on this one.... D.J. can play all linebacker positions, but he is amazing at WILL. Phillips is amazing at SS.

At 205 pounds?

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
At 205 pounds?

205 is good in college..... I thought he weighed in at 217 or something like that at the combine?

fcspikeit
02-28-2008, 05:06 PM

LOL..

You make it sound like the only people that have him drooping are those on this board. Have you been following the mock drafts? He is falling big time! Mayock doesn't even have him going in the first round.

Maybe your right? Maybe he started to drop EVERYWHERE after Boss and a few others here started pointing out his negatives? :laugh:

jhns
02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
LOL..

You make it sound like the only people that have him drooping are those on this board. Have you been following the mock drafts? He is falling big time! Mayock doesn't even have him going in the first round.

Maybe your right? Maybe he started to drop EVERYWHERE after Boss and a few others here started pointing out his negatives? :laugh:

I wasn't talking about people here.... I was talking about a single "expert" says that he isn't a first round talent (Mayock, go figure that's who you point out) and a bunch of other "experts" start to follow. Same thing was happening to McFadden. Don't believe me? Go look at the mocks from right after college was done and then look at them just before the combine. Also, not all have him dropping, just some that do what I just said.

Does your post even make sense to you? Why would I be talking about people here? The only part about people here is the part about people not wanting anybody but the one player they think we need. They just bash everyone but that one player. If you don't believe that happens, look at the post history of the people dogging the good players.

Again, this stuff wasn't being said when he was actually playing. Just like what was happening with McFadden, some guy says something and all the sheep follow. Please break down for me why Phillips is going to be bad if you all believe this so much...

Just look at scouts inc or NFL.coms breakdown of him. In fact, most all rankings that I have seen still have him as a top 15 prospect. It is only a few "experts", who aren't getting paid by teams for a reason, that have dropped him.

I don't even know why I am arguing this. I don't really care. I would love to get Phillips but there are 10 different guys I would love to have with that #12 pick.

mclark
02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
As of right now, still Clady for me. But I'm hoping we shake some things loose in free agency. I'd love for us to sign a safety, a middle linebacker, and an exprienced left tackle, and free up our draft for a running back at 12.

But, at the moment, Clady.

fcspikeit
02-28-2008, 07:37 PM
One person got down on him and a bunch of other people just followed like sheep.

Where in that do you say "expert" :confused:

The ONLY reason people around here are getting down on him is because they want someone else real bad.

"Why would I be talking about people here?" That was pretty much the point of my response to you... "You make it sound like the only people that have him drooping are those on this board"

I wasn't talking about people here.... I was talking about a single "expert" says that he isn't a first round talent (Mayock, go figure that's who you point out) and a bunch of other "experts" start to follow. Same thing was happening to McFadden. Don't believe me? Go look at the mocks from right after college was done and then look at them just before the combine. Also, not all have him dropping, just some that do what I just said.

Does your post even make sense to you? Why would I be talking about people here? The only part about people here is the part about people not wanting anybody but the one player they think we need. They just bash everyone but that one player. If you don't believe that happens, look at the post history of the people dogging the good players.

Again, this stuff wasn't being said when he was actually playing. Just like what was happening with McFadden, some guy says something and all the sheep follow. Please break down for me why Phillips is going to be bad if you all believe this so much...

Just look at scouts inc or NFL.coms breakdown of him. In fact, most all rankings that I have seen still have him as a top 15 prospect. It is only a few "experts", who aren't getting paid by teams for a reason, that have dropped him.

I don't even know why I am arguing this. I don't really care. I would love to get Phillips but there are 10 different guys I would love to have with that #12 pick.

I see, all your negitive comments were directed at Mayock :rolleyes:

In case you don't know, Mayock is paid for his scouting work.. You can choose to believe the NFL scouts don't value his opinion if you want.
Why do you think they have the combine? Players rise and fall because of the combine all the time. He has dropped on Mayocks board but he still has him as his #1 safety prospect. He believes it is a weak class this year. What reason would he have to say that if he didn't believe it from something he has seen?

Why do you have such a problem with this? Phillips is no different then any other player. No matter who is brought up, Opinions very.. Boss thinks the best value at 12 is Stewart, I bet a lot of NFL scouts would agree with him. Either way I don't see why he should be bashed for his opinion about Stewart or Phillips? You clearly have a higher opinion then he does about Phillips, You are entitled, after all, its just an opinion..

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Phillips...beacuse I believe Shanny is liking Harris and we have NO Safeties right now.

Scarface
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM

He's gigantic and not as athletic as Clady, Alberts, or Williams. Otah seems like a Pitt or Dallas type lineman to me.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Otah isn't AS athletic, but he is definitely athletic enough. Given the extra girth, I think he'd be great at the goalline for us. He can play here.

fcspikeit
02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
He's gigantic and not as athletic as Clady, Alberts, or Williams. Otah seems like a Pitt or Dallas type lineman to me.

*cough* Gorge Foster *cough*

CoachChaz
02-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Otah isn't the ZBS type

jhns
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Where in that do you say "expert" :confused:

"Why would I be talking about people here?" That was pretty much the point of my response to you... "You make it sound like the only people that have him drooping are those on this board"

I see, all your negitive comments were directed at Mayock :rolleyes:

In case you don't know, Mayock is paid for his scouting work.. You can choose to believe the NFL scouts don't value his opinion if you want.
Why do you think they have the combine? Players rise and fall because of the combine all the time. He has dropped on Mayocks board but he still has him as his #1 safety prospect. He believes it is a weak class this year. What reason would he have to say that if he didn't believe it from something he has seen?

Why do you have such a problem with this? Phillips is no different then any other player. No matter who is brought up, Opinions very.. Boss thinks the best value at 12 is Stewart, I bet a lot of NFL scouts would agree with him. Either way I don't see why he should be bashed for his opinion about Stewart or Phillips? You clearly have a higher opinion then he does about Phillips, You are entitled, after all, its just an opinion..

I think you are mixing my points together to come up with your response. The part about him falling and the part about people here where in completely different paragraphs and are not trying to make the same point. 1) He fell on a single board and now some mocks and a ton of followers, yes people here are in this group, are dropping him. 2) A lot of times people here hate on players only because they want one specific guy (or position) that isn't the player being talked about.

Yes, I am talking about people on this board. No I am not saying they have a huge public impact. The post that I responded to did not make sense because you can come to that conclusion through common sense. Does that help you some?

Are you saying Mayock doesn't play favorites? Are you actually trying to tell me that scouting services and pro coaches go to Mayock for his opinion? Both of these statements are laughable. He is paid by a broadcasting company. Like I said, there is a reason he isn't working for the NFL. Also, isn't he the same guy that talked a ton of crap about Peterson last year?

As for your last paragraph, apparently you didn't read the the last paragraph in my previous post. I don't really care other than the fact that people bash what other people are saying and base it off of a single sports analyst and a bunch of random peoples mock drafts. I have looked at a ton of rankings that Phillips is still a top 10-15 guy on their player ratings.

fcspikeit
02-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Are you saying Mayock doesn't play favorites? Are you actually trying to tell me that scouting services and pro coaches go to Mayock for his opinion? Both of these statements are laughable. He is paid by a broadcasting company. Like I said, there is a reason he isn't working for the NFL. Also, isn't he the same guy that talked a ton of crap about Peterson last year?

As for your last paragraph, apparently you didn't read the the last paragraph in my previous post. I don't really care other than the fact that people bash what other people are saying and base it off of a single sports analyst and a bunch of random peoples mock drafts. I have looked at a ton of rankings that Phillips is still a top 10-15 guy on their player ratings.

(I see no need for continued discussion regarding the part of your post I took out. It was clearly a misunderstanding, while you didn't clarify who you were addressing your comments about, It seems I read more into it then was there. Therefore I am willing to let it drop. to discuss the intent of your post :salute:)

I do believe Mayock carries some weight among the NFL scouts. Less to some and more to others I'm sure. I don't remember him hating on AP? In fact if I remember right I thought he was singing his praises and saying he was by far the best choice at RB in the draft. At one point some people were saying Lynch could be the first back taken. If I remember right Mayock was saying AP was by far the better choice. Even if he wasn't, he is not a god. All he can do is offer his opinion and he will be wrong from time to time.

As far as these NFL scouts that you seem to think know more then Mayock, How many of them draft bust's? I bet if you look at the track record of Mayock against most the scouts in the NFL you would see that he fairs better then most of them at seeing talent. The scouts have an advantage because they can put more time into scouting their positions of need, while Mayock has to look at every position. I like Mayock because he will look at the kids from smaller schools, a lot of the scouts just talk up the guys on top of the board. Mayock will take risks on players very few have heard of.

Dion Sanders seemed to agree with him about Phillips. Not that that changes much. However, if I were a scout and all these question were coming up about a guy I would take an extra long look at him. The players seem to care where he has them. Do you just hate Mayock or is it all the scouting guys who don't work for an NFL team?

How do you know NFL team haven't tride to get him on their payroll? Maybe he is making more money where he is and doesn't want to give it up? Who knows. But I bet he is making more for his scouting then most NFL scouts.

I just don't get the hate you seem to have for him and a lot of others here who don't think Phillips is a 1st round guy? I except the fact Mayock puts more time into scouting then I do as do a lot of people on this board. Are they always right? No. They offer an opinion that I can compare against all the other opinions, couple that with what I have seen then I come to my own conclusions.

mclark
02-29-2008, 04:54 PM

I'm a little concerned about the 'George Foster Syndrome' when I hear Otah's name. Probably not fair to him however.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm a little concerned about the 'George Foster Syndrome' when I hear Otah's name. Probably not fair to him however.

Except for the fact that Otah has been mentioned as a top OT and Foster's pick came from NOWHERE. Otah can play. IS athletic enough to play in Denver and is big/strong enough to push the pile. If Shanny is enamored w/ Harris at LT, Otah would be a GREAT fit on the other side.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-29-2008, 05:51 PM
(I see no need for continued discussion regarding the part of your post I took out. It was clearly a misunderstanding, while you didn't clarify who you were addressing your comments about, It seems I read more into it then was there. Therefore I am willing to let it drop. to discuss the intent of your post :salute:)

I do believe Mayock carries some weight among the NFL scouts. Less to some and more to others I'm sure. I don't remember him hating on AP? In fact if I remember right I thought he was singing his praises and saying he was by far the best choice at RB in the draft. At one point some people were saying Lynch could be the first back taken. If I remember right Mayock was saying AP was by far the better choice. Even if he wasn't, he is not a god. All he can do is offer his opinion and he will be wrong from time to time.

As far as these NFL scouts that you seem to think know more then Mayock, How many of them draft bust's? I bet if you look at the track record of Mayock against most the scouts in the NFL you would see that he fairs better then most of them at seeing talent. The scouts have an advantage because they can put more time into scouting their positions of need, while Mayock has to look at every position. I like Mayock because he will look at the kids from smaller schools, a lot of the scouts just talk up the guys on top of the board. Mayock will take risks on players very few have heard of.

Dion Sanders seemed to agree with him about Phillips. Not that that changes much. However, if I were a scout and all these question were coming up about a guy I would take an extra long look at him. The players seem to care where he has them. Do you just hate Mayock or is it all the scouting guys who don't work for an NFL team?

How do you know NFL team haven't tride to get him on their payroll? Maybe he is making more money where he is and doesn't want to give it up? Who knows. But I bet he is making more for his scouting then most NFL scouts.

I just don't get the hate you seem to have for him and a lot of others here who don't think Phillips is a 1st round guy? I except the fact Mayock puts more time into scouting then I do as do a lot of people on this board. Are they always right? No. They offer an opinion that I can compare against all the other opinions, couple that with what I have seen then I come to my own conclusions.

Phillips could be our new Atwater. So he doesn't play the FS spot...he'd be a GREAT SS. Dude is a tackling machine and hard hitter. So he doesn't flip his hips like some would like...was Atwater the poster child for athleticism or the poster child for destruction and intimidation? Atwater couldn't catch an INT to save his life. Who would give him back? KP isn't as deadly as Atwater, but he could definitely fill that role.

dogfish
02-29-2008, 06:03 PM

i don't think foster's problem was rooted so much in size or lack of athletic ability, as in lack of grit and determination. . .

Astrass
02-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Clady and Rivers are the only of those 3 u could consider at 12. Then it depends on our needs. Both could probably start as a rookie. At the moment we only have one solid LB. Webster is semi decent but I don't know if he will start next year. So if the draft were tomorrow I'd take Rivers. He is super athletic and he makes plays. He fits the mold of our fast LB's. I think him and DJ together would be great to watch.