PDA

View Full Version : Dennison Officially Gone

UnderArmour
01-12-2010, 06:52 PM
http://twitter.com/ChronicleTexans/status/7687673478

Denver offensive line coach Rick Dennison has accepted Gary Kubiak's offer to become the Texans' offensive coordinator.
Hope he does well in Houston when he's not playing Denver or competing for a first round bye.

claymore
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Good luck Bro.

Dean
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
He has done a lot for the Broncos. Thanks.:beer:

Italianmobstr7
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Bye Rick. You were a good coach for us for a long time!

nevcraw
01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
thanks Rick for 25 years of Bronco service..
Everyone but Jr. appreciates your hard work and dedication as player, ST coach, LB coach, assitant line coach, OL coach, and OC (running game), and OL coach again...

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Dennison chosen as Houston's offensive coordinator
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 12, 2010 6:53 PM ET
Gary Kubiak is replacing Mike Shanahan's son with a former Shanahan assistant.

The Houston Chronicle reports that Rick Dennison will be the next offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans. Kyle Shanahan recently left to join his father in Washington.

Kubiak and Dennison worked together in Denver for five seasons before Kubiak got the Texans job and share similar philosophies. Dennison was Denver's offensive coordinator from 2006-2008. It's unclear if he will call the plays in Houston.

The news caps a day where Shanahan's influence is felt all over the league. His former assistant Alex Gibbs is a new feather in Pete Carroll's cap. Shanahan met with Jim Haslett and made a run at Romeo Crennel. And now Dennison will help replace Gibbs in Houston.

Look for running backs coach Bobby Turner to soon join Dennison as a Denver coach leaving Josh McDaniels' staff. Turner will work for -- you guessed it -- Mike Shanahan.

MileHighCrew
01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
One day the Broncos need to honor this man. Thank you for the years!!!

dogfish
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
best of luck to him. . .

i was hoping he'd go to washington, thus freeing up joe bugel, but houston is a better choice for him-- better job, better team. . . i'm really eager to see who we're going to find to replace him-- the annual coaching carousel has begun, with new HCs looking to fill out their coaching staffs. . . time for us to get on it. . . i'm getting antsy to hear that we've at least set up some interviews. . .

SR
01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Best of luck Rick!

The Glue Factory
01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
As Schefter said, "Friends don't go to interviews, they go to accept job promotions."

sneakers
01-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Good for him!!!!!!!!

Broncolingus
01-12-2010, 10:56 PM
I hope he does well and thx again for all the years given to the Broncs...:salute:

Lonestar
01-12-2010, 10:58 PM
thanks Rick for 25 years of Bronco service..
Everyone but Jr. appreciates your hard work and dedication as player, ST coach, LB coach, assitant line coach, OL coach, and OC (running game), and OL coach again...

Never said he was not dedicated .. just not impressed with his OLINE in the red zone.. which we have sucked at since Gibbs left..

He was a hard working LB and never understood why he would not be better served as a LB coach or on the D side of the LOS..

seems like apples telling oranges how they should be..

please tell me that he was great in rushing yardage .. but then temper in our red zone failures..

hope he does well down the line and works out for Gary who is a class guy..

Bozo Jr.
01-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Cya Dennison. GL in Houston. :salute:

Nomad
01-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Change of scenery, job promotion/pay raise.....who could pass that up!! Same could be said of Turner! Good luck to the fellas on their careers and thanks for being a BRONCO!!

claymore
01-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I am bad at articulation, so bear with me...

I am happier they are gone than I would have been if they stayed. Turner was a great RB coach for the ZBS. Im not sure how good he was for this spread offense crap.

Dennison was good-ok, but nowhere near as good as gibbs. Sucks to be in gibbs shadow, but oh well.

Hopefully we bring in some young talented fired up coaches that have future potential with this organization.

titan
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree with claymore. Turner was a great running backs coach under Shanahan. Dennison was ok but not as good as Gibbs. I'm confident McD can get replacements more in line with his offensive philosophy.

If we were losing Nolan I'd be concerned - not so much with Dennison and Turner.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14176342

Rick Dennison has spent most of his life in Colorado, playing high school and college football in Fort Collins and then spending 24 years with the Broncos as a player and an assistant coach.

Now he is moving to Houston.

Dennison accepted an offer Tuesday afternoon from Texans coach Gary Kubiak to become Houston's offensive coordinator. Dennison had been on the Broncos' coaching staff for 15 seasons. He coached their offensive line the last nine years.

"It's one of those things that really tugs at you," said Dennison, 51. "I'm a Colorado guy — I wasn't born here, but I've spent a lot of my life here — and it's been a long time with an organization. It's really, really hard to not be associated with the Broncos."

Dennison traveled to Houston to interview with Kubiak on Monday and returned to Colorado with a contract in hand. Dennison called Kubiak on Tuesday to make their reunion official. They were teammates on the Broncos in the 1980s and then coached together in Denver on Mike Shanahan's staff.

Kubiak tried to hire Dennison in Houston in 2006, but Shanahan denied Kubiak's request to interview Dennison.

"To get a chance to work with Gary, I don't know how many times something like that is going to come around," Dennison said. "I thought I better jump at it if it's at all possible, and it's possible."

Dennison, who replaces Kyle Shanahan with the Texans, expects to have the opportunity to call plays, something he did not do with the Broncos.

"I am very excited about it," Dennison said. "It's something that's going to be a big challenge certainly."

Dennison is the first of Josh McDaniels' assistant coaches to formally depart the Broncos, though running backs coach Bobby Turner — another longtime Shanahan assistant — might not be far behind. An NFL source said Monday that Turner had been offered the title of associate head coach on Shanahan's new staff with the Washington Redskins, though a deal has not been finalized.

Losing Dennison — and possibly Turner — could signal a significant shift in the Broncos' running game philosophy.

In their first season with McDaniels in charge, the Broncos tried to blend the team's old system of zone blocking (with smaller, more athletic offensive linemen) with McDan-iels' preference for a power running game.

Rookie tailback Knowshon Moreno, the overall No. 12 pick in the 2009 draft, finished the season with 947 yards rushing — the Broncos' third consecutive season without a 1,000-yard rusher. But McDaniels often placed blame for the running game troubles on the offensive line, especially in the final month of the season.

Footnotes.

Outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who led the NFL with 17 sacks, finished third in voting for AP's defensive player of the year award. Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson won the award. New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis finished second. Dumervil's finish is the best by a Bronco since cornerback Champ Bailey finished second to Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor in 2006. . . . The New York Giants claimed offensive lineman Herb Taylor, who was waived by the Broncos during the final week of the season.

pnbronco
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Good luck Coach Dennison, thank you for all your years of hard work.

Good luck in the summer in Houston, man does it get hot and humid....:shocked:

e-Lou-sive1
01-13-2010, 01:43 PM
What does this say about Mc Daniels and the fact that they were so willing to leave and not finish their careers with the Broncos. Their loyality is now with people who have supported them and have not forgotten their talents and not laying full blame on them for the teams failures.Mc D will probably use them as scapegoats now promising to move on to better qualified coaches who fit his style of offense.This exodus is almost complete ridding the team of anyone who as any association with Shanahan allowing him complete control to which he can begin his dynasty.Why not change the logo on the helmet to a patriot riding a white horse while your at it.Just joking,I do hope that he is leading the team in a positive direction and I realize he has a lot of creative ideas he would like to implement to build his foundation.Sometimes change could be good thing.

Ravage!!!
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
What does this say about Mc Daniels and the fact that they were so willing to leave and not finish their careers with the Broncos. Their loyality is now with people who have supported them and have not forgotten their talents and not laying full blame on them for the teams failures.Mc D will probably use them as scapegoats now promising to move on to better qualified coaches who fit his style of offense.This exodus is almost complete ridding the team of anyone who as any association with Shanahan allowing him complete control to which he can begin his dynasty.Why not change the logo on the helmet to a patriot riding a white horse while your at it.Just joking,I do hope that he is leading the team in a positive direction and I realize he has a lot of creative ideas he would like to implement to build his foundation.Sometimes change could be good thing.

I don't know if I agree, lou. Coaches leave. They move on. Thats what they do. They use the LB coaching job as a stepping stone to become a DC, somewhere else. They use the ST assistant coach to become a DB coach... or they become the QB coaching position to become an OC.

This is what coaching is about. I don't blame McDaniels for this. McDaniels himself was an assistant to the DC (or something like that) when in NE. He moved up in positions, and became an assistant on the offense bfore moving to OC..... now he's a HC. Thats how it works.

Rarely... do you find an assistant coach that spends his entire career with a single franchise.

dogfish
01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't know if I agree, lou. Coaches leave. They move on. Thats what they do. They use the LB coaching job as a stepping stone to become a DC, somewhere else. They use the ST assistant coach to become a DB coach... or they become the QB coaching position to become an OC.

This is what coaching is about. I don't blame McDaniels for this. McDaniels himself was an assistant to the DC (or something like that) when in NE. He moved up in positions, and became an assistant on the offense bfore moving to OC..... now he's a HC. Thats how it works.

Rarely... do you find an assistant coach that spends his entire career with a single franchise.

yep. . . and it's not like mcdaniels chased those guys off-- dennison got a long-awaited promotion, and turner got a chance to reunite with the HC he's worked with most of his career. . .

G_Money
01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Sometimes things just don't work out.

We tried a hybrid running scheme with a mix of what Dennison and Turner knew, and what McDaniels knew, and it worked like crap.

McDaniels wasn't gonna give up on the running game he wanted to build and the personnel suited to it for what Shanahan used to run. Dennison and Turner know their style works in certain offenses and have no reason to change, and both moved on to places that should take excellent advantage of their knowledge.

Now we need coaches who know how to correctly execute what Josh wants to run (hopefully starting with Josh himself) and bring them in.

I just don't know who those people would be, though I can guarantee you they won't have the pedigree of the guys leaving.

Fixing the OL and having a working running game are fairly crucial to our success, so hopefully McDaniels brings in some quality folks. The one thing I've absolutely liked about him is his eye for coaching talent (retaining Turner and Dennison from Shanny's staff, bringing in Nolan and the entire quality defensive staff from disparate locales, etc). He seems to know a good coach when he sees one. Hopefully he sees a couple more pretty quickly.

I don't think we'll be promoting in house and moving Jay Rodgers or Barone to the OL coach - it's gonna be an out-of-house hire, as will the RB job most likely. I just can't see who on the staff would get the job - unless little brother Ben wants a better gig, anyway. :lol:

~G

claymore
01-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Sometimes things just don't work out.

We tried a hybrid running scheme with a mix of what Dennison and Turner knew, and what McDaniels knew, and it worked like crap.

McDaniels wasn't gonna give up on the running game he wanted to build and the personnel suited to it for what Shanahan used to run. Dennison and Turner know their style works in certain offenses and have no reason to change, and both moved on to places that should take excellent advantage of their knowledge.

Now we need coaches who know how to correctly execute what Josh wants to run (hopefully starting with Josh himself) and bring them in.

I just don't know who those people would be, though I can guarantee you they won't have the pedigree of the guys leaving.

Fixing the OL and having a working running game are fairly crucial to our success, so hopefully McDaniels brings in some quality folks. The one thing I've absolutely liked about him is his eye for coaching talent (retaining Turner and Dennison from Shanny's staff, bringing in Nolan and the entire quality defensive staff from disparate locales, etc). He seems to know a good coach when he sees one. Hopefully he sees a couple more pretty quickly.

I don't think we'll be promoting in house and moving Jay Rodgers or Barone to the OL coach - it's gonna be an out-of-house hire, as will the RB job most likely. I just can't see who on the staff would get the job - unless little brother Ben wants a better gig, anyway. :lol:

~G

The jury is still out on Mike Mccoy. But I agree with everything else.

dogfish
01-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I just can't see who on the staff would get the job - unless little brother Ben wants a better gig, anyway. :lol:

~G

smile when you say that. . . :doh:

any ideas who's out there?

i really wanted joe bugel, but he just announced his retirement (call him anyway, josh). . .

dogfish
01-13-2010, 03:00 PM
The jury is still out on Mike Mccoy. But I agree with everything else.

what's the problem with mccoy-- did he get josh's latte with 2% when it was supposed to be soy milk or something?

pnbronco
01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
smile when you say that. . . :doh:

any ideas who's out there?

i really wanted joe bugel, but he just announced his retirement (call him anyway, josh). . .

Hey Alex Gibbs was in retirement and Kubs got him to change his mine, you never know.... I liked Gibbs a lot, the funny thing was the O line guys liked him off season and hated him/ respected him but hated him in season.....:D

Lonestar
01-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I am bad at articulation, so bear with me...

I am happier they are gone than I would have been if they stayed. Turner was a great RB coach for the ZBS. Im not sure how good he was for this spread offense crap.

Dennison was good-ok, but nowhere near as good as gibbs. Sucks to be in gibbs shadow, but oh well.

Hopefully we bring in some young talented fired up coaches that have future potential with this organization.

:ditto:

amazing Clay and I agree on something..

dogfish
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM

everybody mark your calendars!

i'm going to go buy a lottery ticket. . . . :lol::lol:

pnbronco
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Now I'm scared, did the Mayans get it wrong and it 1-14-10......:eek:

:laugh:...you know I adore both of you.....;)