PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Free Agent list

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 06:45 PM
The official 2008 season gets under way first thing Friday morning.... What does your free agent wish list look like?

tubby
02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Al Wilson

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
D-line:
Bobby McCray (Jacksonville), Mike Rucker (Carolina), Justin Smith (Cincinnati), Travis LaBoy and Antwan Odom (Tennessee), Randy Starks (Tennessee), and Chris Canty (Dallas)

LB:
Boss Bailey (Detroit), Lance Briggs (Chicago), Kevin Bentley (Seattle), Landon Johnson (Cincinnati), Reggie Torbor (New York G), Demorrio Williams, (Atlanta)

turftoad
02-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Bryant Johnson and Madieu Williams. I'd be very happy with this. Fills two needs.

Then trade for DT Robertson another need and fill the rest in the draft.

turftoad
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Al Wilson

I'd go for that too.

shank
02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
S: williams or wilson
LB: bailey or bently (you sold me on him boss haha)
DL: coleman (if we don't trade for a big name), starks (has he been resigned yet?), ugh, we better work out a trade
OL: not sure, but would like to see someone brought in for at the very least, depth, i would not be against smiley in the slightest
WR: johnson, hackett, henderson, mccareins

these are in order i guess.. bring in a few of these guys (my #1 want is bryant johnson) and draft accordingly. i believe these positions can all be addressed in one way or another in FA, and many of these options shouldn't break the bank.

i think we need a starter at S, competition at LB (along with the one we will draft), starting DT (gonna have to trade it looks like, get it done), OL depth/competition, and a #2 WR.

:elefant:

dogfish
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
WR - dj hackett, bryant johnson, justin mccareins, drew carter

OT - flozell adams

RB - michael turner (only at a reasonable price, though)

DT - rod coleman

DE - ebenezer ekuban, greg spires

S - madieu williams, gibril wilson, eric coleman, yeremiah bell

the top of the list is hackett, johnson, coleman, williams and wilson-- and i'm sure i'm forgetting a few names, i'll update as i remember. . . .

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
OL:
Jeff Faine (New Orleans), Alan Faneca (Pittsburgh), Jacob Bell (Tennessee), Justin Smiley (San Fran), Floyd Womack (Seattle), Max Starks (Pittsburgh), Maurice Williams (Jacksonville), David Stewart (Tennessee)

WR:
Jerry Porter (Oakland), Bryant Johnson (Arizona), Ernest Wilford (Jacksonville), D.J. Hackett (Seattle), Devery Henderson (New Orleans), Drew Carter (Carolina), Andre Davis (Houston), Jabar Gaffney (New England), Donte Stallworth (New England)

RB:
Michael Turner (San Diego), Julius Jones (Dallas), Mewelde Moore (Minnesota), Aaron Stecker (New Orleans), Rock Cartwright (Washington)

DB:
Asante Samuel (New England), Erik Coleman (New York J), Will Demps (Houston), Michael Doss (Minnesota), Madieu Williams (Bengals), Gerald Sensabaugh (Jacksonville), Michael Boulware (Houston)

Slick
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I liked that you had Drew Carter on your list. The guy has wheels, and he studied under Steve Smith for a couple years. He could come at a cheaper price than some of the other guys.

shank
02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
boss, is that your list or are you posting all available?!

dogfish
02-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I liked that you had Drew Carter on your list. The guy has wheels, and he studied under Steve Smith for a couple years. He could come at a cheaper price than some of the other guys.

that prwetty much sums it up-- he's a one-dimensional deep threat, but it wouldn't hurt us to have a guy to stretch the field and take advantage of cutler's gun, and carter has the size to play outside and the quickness to work from the slot. . . if we can't get a legit #2, we might have to do a bit of a committee approach at WR this year, and he's a guy who could contribute and still has a bit of developmental potential. . . and yes, i do expect him to come pretty cheap. . .

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
boss, is that your list or are you posting all available?!

The guys I listed at each position are guys I would like to see in Denver. I know it is a lot of guys, but I think that the guys I listed still have enough talent to contribute to the Broncos...maybe not as starters, but as depth.

My #1 guy would be Madeiu Williams

He would start right away. Very under-rated, excellent coverage safety.

Bronco9798
02-27-2008, 07:38 PM
The official 2008 season gets under way first thing Friday morning.... What does your free agent wish list look like?

I don't have one this year or pulling for us to sign any of them. I'm just going to watch and see what happens. We have little luck in Free agency and I'm not a big fan this year of it. Most of the marquee players are tagged and it leaves mostly sub-par players or decent players that get over-paid.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't have one this year or pulling for us to sign any if them. I'm just going to watch and see what happens. We have little luck in Free agency and I'm not a big fan this year of it. Most of the marquee players are tagged and it leave mostly sub-par players or decent players that get over-paid.

You make a good point. Free agency can be hell. Denver showed they went over board last year with the spending. You can still find good value though in free agency, you just have to be smart.... I liked what Denver did when they brought in Montrae Holland. He was a good sign.... but you have to question the value they put in Daniel Graham and Travis Henry.

Bronco9798
02-27-2008, 07:43 PM
You make a good point. Free agency can be hell. Denver showed they went over board last year with the spending. You can still find good value though in free agency, you just have to be smart.... I liked what Denver did when they brought in Montrae Holland. He was a good sign.... but you have to question the value they put in Daniel Graham and Travis Henry.

I dont mind a few Wal-Mart bargain depth players. I'm ok with that. it's getting burned by the guy you thing that is going to come in for high dollars and turn out to be most of what we get in the last few years.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I dont mind a few Wal-Mart bargain depth players. I'm ok with that. it's getting burned by the guy you thing that is going to come in for high dollars and turn out to be most of what we get in the last few years.

Any bargain FA's you like?

Bronco9798
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Any bargain FA's you like?

Oh I think you can find value in a guy that's going to come and provide you with some depth at certain positions. I'll go over the complete list here in the next day or two. Been way too busy right now and haven't had a real good look at some 2nd or 3rd tier players.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I think Landon Johnson (Cincinnati) and Reggie Torbor (New York G) are good depth guys.

Skinny
02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Boss Bailey and Flozell Adams/Ruben Brown. I'd like to see us bring in Todd Steussie for a look over to see if he's capable of some back up work if Harris or Kuper or whoever has problems picking up that all important LT position. He's no worse than Lepsis was last Season IMO and could be a stop gap for a year if needed.

I would put down a Safety FA too, i just don't know exactly who. There's no one particular player at that position right now thats jumping out at me ...

shank
03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Drew Carter
DJ Hackett
Justin McCareins

Landon Johnson
Kevin Bentley
Brandon Chillar

Langston Moore (don't know much about him, could be a depth NT?)

Michael Boulware? (don't know much about him, is he any good in coverage?)
Brian Scott (going off of stats and our need for S help)
Glenn Earl (stats+need at S)

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 12:11 AM
We are not going to do anything of significance in FA, we were never going to. Pat pretty much laid it out when he said we were going to build via the draft. Mikey has in the past done just the opposite and Pat has pulled the leash real tight..

I see mikey gone next year after this years lousy draft, or at least Pat will bring in a top notch GM to work with mikey evaluating talent..

The mikey era of GMing is on a fast track to being over.. With out Dinger or bates around this year I really do not see who is going to steer mikey in making good choices on day one.. Unless he buys Pro football weekly or asks Mayock or Kipper over for dinner..

You heard it here first!

claymore
03-02-2008, 12:13 AM
We are not going to do anything of significance in FA, we were never going to. Pat pretty much laid it out when he said we were going to build via the draft. Mikey has in the past done just the opposite and Pat has pulled the leash real tight..

I see mikey gone next year after this years lousy draft, or at least Pat will bring in a top notch GM to work with mikey evaluating talent..

The mikey era of GMing is on a fast track to being over.. With out Dinger or bates around this year I really do not see who is going to steer mikey in making good choices on day one.. Unless he buys Pro football weekly or asks Mayock or Kipper over for dinner..

You heard it here first!
You feel different about Shanny than I. One thing is for certain. This year there is nobody to blame besides Shannahan.

Coordinators are gone. Its him and a couple of Noobs.

shank
03-02-2008, 12:19 AM

You heard it here first!

we have too many holes to fill in the draft alone. to even expect both of our 1st round picks to come in and start is unrealistic, and we have at least 4 positions requiring starters.

i know we waited out day 1, but i still hope that we bring in a couple of other guys. you may be right, but if we bring in no one else, then it's a change of pace completely as we would be abandoning the "every year, the superbowl is the only goal" philosophy and adopting a policy of slowly building for the superbowl in 2-4 years by drafting only and leaving holes in the roster with no attempt to fill them with a capable player.

i know pat said we would be more careful with free agency, but i didn't interperet that as a complete overhaul of the teams goals from year to year...

again, you may very well be right, if you're not, those are the guys i would be happy to bring in.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 12:28 AM
You feel different about Shanny than I. One thing is for certain. This year there is nobody to blame besides Shannahan.

Coordinators are gone. Its him and a couple of Noobs.

Actually they are still the scapegoats of failure.. but i really do think that Pat is watching over his shoulder real close..

remember how everyone always wanted to come to DEN as a FA, t is not like that anymore. Almost every player that leaves DEN bod mouths the team and for one thing but not all, has to have a shot at mikey's micro managing the team.

I used to think it was sour grapes of like Gardener. He might have been on them money calling him little man..

Look I think he is one of the top Offensive coaches in the league. But as GM or in charge of player personnel he sucks IMO.. He has found some usable players in FA, he has made couple of good trades but the Champ and Bly trades are almost washed out by the browncos fiasco and Jwalk ones..

shank
03-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Actually they are still the scapegoats of failure.. but i really do think that Pat is watching over his shoulder real close..

remember how everyone always wanted to come to DEN as a FA, t is not like that anymore. Almost every player that leaves DEN bod mouths the team and for one thing but not all, has to have a shot at mikey's micro managing the team.

I used to think it was sour grapes of like Gardener. He might have been on them money calling him little man..

Look I think he is one of the top Offensive coaches in the league. But as GM or in charge of player personnel he sucks IMO.. He has found some usable players in FA, he has made couple of good trades but the Champ and Bly trades are almost washed out by the browncos fiasco and Jwalk ones..

like i said in the other thread, i used to be in denial about what you speak, but am now seeing the same patterns that you are talking about. every player that we get either loves him or hates him and badmouths him and the organization when they leave. the way we are handling jason elam is bothering me as i feel like we've done stuff like this to players before, making the organization look bad to prospects...

like i said, i hope shanny has a great offseason and the draft is another brilliant success. if he blows it this year, i think we really need to get a GM in here who can have some more consistant success. i do not want to see shanny gone, but if our rate of success doesn't see some improvement, his role may need to be limited to head coach.

Lonestar
03-02-2008, 12:35 AM
we have too many holes to fill in the draft alone. to even expect both of our 1st round picks to come in and start is unrealistic, and we have at least 4 positions requiring starters.

i know we waited out day 1, but i still hope that we bring in a couple of other guys. you may be right, but if we bring in no one else, then it's a change of pace completely as we would be abandoning the "every year, the superbowl is the only goal" philosophy and adopting a policy of slowly building for the superbowl in 2-4 years by drafting only and leaving holes in the roster with no attempt to fill them with a capable player.

i know pat said we would be more careful with free agency, but i didn't interperet that as a complete overhaul of the teams goals from year to year...

again, you may very well be right, if you're not, those are the guys i would be happy to bring in.

I was more commenting on the hoopla on rogers and the guy from the Jets. The LB and safeties that we desperately need.

IMO we are/were not going to make a big splash in FA like we did last year..

BUT I was hoping it would happen also, after reading about all the hype and the great research that Boss in particular did in.. I stayed up late to see if I was wrong hoping I was..

Everyone getting woodies and then being so disappointed did not surprise me one bit..

Now it is time to come off the FA frenzy and start thinking about the draft..

shank
03-02-2008, 06:59 PM
P Michael Koenen -- 25, avg 42.7 yds, net avg 39.2.

he doesn't have the leg that sauerbrun had, but his net average is higher. he doesn't line drive and outkick his coverage as often, lookes like he gets some good hangtime as his net and avg are pretty close to eachother.

signing him would free up a late rounder to take another stab at finding a gem at a position that's harder to fill.