PDA

View Full Version : Non 1st Round OTs

shank
02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
inspired by dogfish's question in the combine thread:

a lot of people are lobbying for their guy at OT in the 1st round, but if that doesn't happen who do we get in the 2nd and subsequent rounds?

i watched the combine, and saw the guys, but not seeing any of them play made it hard for me to tell which ones are actually any good at football.

personally i was very impressed with jeremy zuttah, as he put up a great number of reps (25), ran a great 40 (4.99), and looked to be one of the most athletic OL in the workouts. based on my knowledge of him (the combine) i would love to have him, but he's still only seen as a 4th rounder... what are the knocks on him that keep him down in the draft and without a true position (i've seen T/G/C)

and apart from zuttah, what other tackles will be good in our system after baker? do you feel that it's 1st rounder or bust when it comes to OT?

G_Money
02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Zuttah's a guard, IMO, and he's just not as big as some guys which is his major "weakness." The kid will be in the league a lotta years, though. I wouldn't be upset if we added him - I think the kid's got potential. In our scheme he'd be very good - I just dunno how he does trying to move one of the mammoths on the SD D-Line, for instance. But the kid gets downfield and to the 2nd level like a champ.

As I said on the other thread, I like Oniel Cousins. Big, raw, lots of talent, very little training, and a mean streak. You have to have a mean streak to play a good Tackle.

My guess on him is the 4th, because it's gonna be a couple of years before he's ready.

But that doesn't really hurt us, because we make all our lineman do their year of understudy work before they ever touch the starting lineup anyway.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Gosder Cherilus leads the way for me. I think he will develop into a great player. I also like Zuttah, Pollack, Sullivan, and Polumbus. Sullivan would be my second favorite because I think he is the best center in the draft.

lex
02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Gosder Cherilus leads the way for me. I think he will develop into a great player. I also like Zuttah, Pollack, Sullivan, and Polumbus. Sullivan would be my second favorite because I think he is the best center in the draft.

Ditto. I really like Cherilus as a RT. Then I like Carl Nicks...I actually think he might be able to play both tackle positions. Hes mobile enough but his weight kind of scares me though. I also like Duane Brown, John Greco and Zuttah, who like has been mentioned is a bigger candidate to play G or C but could play all positions.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Tony Hills of Texas
Barry Richardson of Clemson
Kirk Barton of Ohio State
King Dunlap of Auburn

shank
02-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Tony Hills of Texas
Barry Richardson of Clemson
Kirk Barton of Ohio State
King Dunlap of Auburn

can you list approx. rounds that these guys will go in? i have no idea who they are lol.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
can you list approx. rounds that these guys will go in? i have no idea who they are lol.

4th/5th

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Barry Richardson
Height: 6-7 | Weight: 330 | 40-Time: 5.40
Strengths:
Outstanding size with a huge frame and long arms...Terrific athleticism...Very light on his feet...Great lateral mobility and range...Gets to the second level...Excellent pass blocker...Good body control...Once he locks on the battle's over...Has a lot of experience against big-time competition...Offers some versatility...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Plays soft...Lacks a killer instinct and is not aggressive...Has to get stronger...Gets pushed around and doesn't play to his size...Poor technique and he does not play with good leverage...Gets caught reaching too often...Effort is pretty inconsistent.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Kirk Barton
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 310 | 40-Time: 5.30
Strengths:
Has decent size and bulk with long arms...Smart with excellent awareness...He is a solid technician...Tenacious and plays with a nasty demeanor...Equally effective as a run and pass blocker...Hard worker...A great leader...Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Average athleticism and quickness...Not very nimble or light on his feet...Has poor balance and agility...Struggles in space...Has some durability concerns...May have to make a position change...He has trouble with speed...Upside's probably limited.

dogfish
02-27-2008, 07:24 PM
what do you guys think about anthony collins and heath benedict? they both sound like potential fits for our system. . .

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 07:59 PM
what do you guys think about anthony collins and heath benedict? they both sound like potential fits for our system. . .

ewww... I forgot about Anthony Collins... I like him a lot. Very good player.