PDA

View Full Version : Broncos change their mind on Bobby Turner

broncofaninfla
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Broncos change their mind on Bobby Turner

Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2010 5:38 PM ET
Last week, the Broncos decided to decline the Redskins' request to interview running backs coach Bobby Turner for the same job in Washington, where Turner would be reunited with former Denver coach Mike Shanahan.

The Broncos have now had a change of heart.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Broncos will allow Turner to meet with the Redskins, and an interview is expected to occur this week.

NFL rules permit teams with assistant coaches under contract to refuse requests to interview those assistants for any job other than head coach. Though compensation can be offered to get a team to release its rights to a head coach, draft picks and/or cash cannot be used to pry an assistant coach away from his current team.

spikerman
01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
sigh... BIG mistake.

getlynched47
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Just when I thought Josh McDaniels was going to make a great decision and keep Turner, he turns around and has a major brain fart. Big mistake ya freakin idiot

Ravage!!!
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
maybe he thinks he can get draft picks for him

broncophan
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
How will we ever survive without Bobby Turner as our running backs coach???:confused:

Brand
01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Before you get your panties in a bundle, don't you think you might want a bit more info?

Maybe Turner talked with MCD and asked for permission to talk with Washington. In his press conference, McD said he's work with the coach.....

But the melodrama is funny. Keep it up.....

Nomad
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Too bad for the BRONCOS, but I guess for Turner, whatever is in his best interest!! He may get a pay raise!!

turftoad
01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Broncos change their mind on Bobby Turner

Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2010 5:38 PM ET
Last week, the Broncos decided to decline the Redskins' request to interview running backs coach Bobby Turner for the same job in Washington, where Turner would be reunited with former Denver coach Mike Shanahan.

The Broncos have now had a change of heart.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Broncos will allow Turner to meet with the Redskins, and an interview is expected to occur this week.

NFL rules permit teams with assistant coaches under contract to refuse requests to interview those assistants for any job other than head coach. Though compensation can be offered to get a team to release its rights to a head coach, draft picks and/or cash cannot be used to pry an assistant coach away from his current team.

UPDATE: We're told that Turner will be the associate head coach of the Redskins, and that he is close to accepting the job, if he hasn't already.

He's as good as gone and McD is an idiot but I knew that after his first week on the job.

T.K.O.
01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Before you get your panties in a bundle, don't you think you might want a bit more info?

Maybe Turner talked with MCD and asked for permission to talk with Washington. In his press conference, McD said he's work with the coach.....

But the melodrama is funny. Keep it up.....

maybe the redskins have offered something interesting to the broncos?....like shanny as an oc :laugh:
but seriously something had to have sweetened the pot for the sudden change of heart:cool:

Ravage!!!
01-11-2010, 07:27 PM
maybe the redskins have offered something interesting to the broncos?....like shanny as an oc :laugh:
but seriously something had to have sweetened the pot for the sudden change of heart:cool:

Don't get your hopes up.... Imean.. I'm just sayin'.

Zweems56
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM

Most likely as simple as turner saying "Hey dude, Shanahan and I are best friends"

T.K.O.
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Most likely as simple as turner saying "Hey dude, Shanahan and I are best friends"

or maybe "if you dont let me talk to shanny i'm gonna start kicking balls around at practice" :D

Fan in Exile
01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
UPDATE: We're told that Turner will be the associate head coach of the Redskins, and that he is close to accepting the job, if he hasn't already.

He's as good as gone and McD is an idiot but I knew that after his first week on the job.

If he's going to be the associate head coach then there isn't anything that McD could have done to keep him. But let's not let that keep us from ripping on him.

frauschieze
01-11-2010, 07:57 PM
If he's going to be the associate head coach then there isn't anything that McD could have done to keep him. But let's not let that keep us from ripping on him.

Not true. He's not going to be THE head coach of the Redskins, so the Broncos could still tell him no.

However, MOST teams will allow a coach to go if the new position is a move up the coaching ladder. It sets a bad precedent if a team doesn't, and then coaches are reluctant to sign with the team. It's all a matter of relations.

dogfish
01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
this blows. . . . :tsk:

we really, really need to return the favor and steal joe bugel from them. . .

spikerman
01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
McDaniels' kid brother has had a year of experience in getting the coaching staff coffee. Hell, just make him the OL/RB coach. :)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Vic Lombardi just stated that the Broncos now have NO CHOICE, but to let Turner interview, since the job description title is now "Running Backs/Associate Head Coach"

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Vic Lombardi just stated that the Broncos now have NO CHOICE, but to let Turner interview, since the job description title is now "Running Backs/Associate Head Coach"

Always with the loopholes.

T.K.O.
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
i think this is just part of the "back room" deal mcD and shanny are working out for marshall;)

Traveler
01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
i think this is just part of the "back room" deal mcD and shanny are working out for marshall;)

One can only wish. I'd definitely accept the Skins 1st and 3rd, if they have them.

dogfish
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
McDaniels' kid brother has had a year of experience in getting the coaching staff coffee. Hell, just make him the OL/RB coach. :)

nah, that's what our offensive coordinator is for-- the position coaches actually work for a living. . .

nevcraw
01-11-2010, 09:15 PM
we are in store for another rolle rcoaster ride offseason.. hang on..

losing Turner blows.. best in the game..

frauschieze
01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
One can only wish. I'd definitely accept the Skins 1st and 3rd, if they have them.

I think the Skins gave up their 3rd round pick in the Supplemental Draft this summer.

spikerman
01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Frankly, I don't care to see the Broncos stockpile picks. If last year is any indication I don't trust 'em to use them wisely.

red98
01-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Vic Lombardi is wrong.

NightTrainLayne
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
It doesn't matter if they had to or not. If that's where Bobby Turner wants to be, then it's only right to let him go. He's given this franchise more than enough to earn that respect.

spikerman
01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
It doesn't matter if they had to or not. If that's where Bobby Turner wants to be, then it's only right to let him go. He's given this franchise more than enough to earn that respect.

Can't argue with that, but it does make me wonder why he would be anxious to leave his home of 15 years.

NightTrainLayne
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Can't argue with that, but it does make me wonder why he would be anxious to leave his home of 15 years.

I would think that if it was because of McDaniels (your implication) that he would have left last year. Shanny's back now. It's about working with Shanny, not leaving McD.

spikerman
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I would think that if it was because of McDaniels (your implication) that he would have left last year. Shanny's back now. It's about working with Shanny, not leaving McD.

It may or may not be McDaniels; however, his perceptions of the direction of the organization may have changed after a year under the new regime. Of course, it's all speculation. I just know that if I was happy in my job and had established roots it would take a serious promotion to get me to consider leaving. I'm just spitballing though.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2010, 10:31 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mike-shanahan/turner-granted-permission-to-i.html

When Mike Shanahan took over as head coach of the Denver Broncos in 1995, he hired a career college assistant named Bobby Turner to coach his running backs. Turner went on to be on the Broncos' staff for Shanahan's entire 14-year tenure. Now, it appears Turner will follow Shanahan to the Redskins -- with a promotion.

According to the Denver Post, Turner -- who remained on the Broncos' staff after Shanahan was fired following the 2008 season -- has been offered the title of associate head coach with the Redskins. The offer comes after the Broncos initially denied the Redskins' request to interview Turner. It's possible they relented after Shanahan came back with a potential promotion for Turner.

Because Turner was under contract with the Broncos, Denver was permitted to refuse the Redskins' initial request to speak with him. But in general, if a promotion is offered, teams acquiesce. Mitchell came to the Redskins when he was offered the title of assistant head coach-running backs.

ikillz0mbies
01-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Well there goes Turner. Time to say good bye to Rick Dennison as well. Now lets see who McDaniels brings in to replace them.

broncobryce
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Say what you want about Mcdaniels, he has picked good coaches

ikillz0mbies
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM

That is not going to stop half the people here from ripping him though.

JONtheBRONCO
01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Why does this Make Josh McDaniels a bad guy? Lol.

Dude, Turner is Shanny's boy. If anything, McD allowing Shanny to have him only shows what a good guy McD is. Turner isn't even McD's guy, and if he was, the situation would be different. Turner is a great, great, running backs coach. And although it would be nice to have him, the guy has been in the same position for 15 years. If you respect Turner, be happy for him, although its tough to see him leave Denver. It seems like he is more of a ZB coach anyway, a direction we are going away from. Maybe McD thought, "Man, if this was my guy, and I was in the same situation Shanny was in, I'd want him pretty bad too. Plus, he might fit better in Washington anyway."

Good luck Turner, you'll be missed.

pnbronco
01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Bobby did a lot for us these last 15 years and I am so grateful for all those years of hard work. IMO he deserves the title and raise (I'm guessing).

I thought it was nice that Coach would allow for Bobby to have this opportunity. If Coach didn't have a choice then he didn't have a choice, either way I fail to see why this makes him a bad guy.

Good Luck Coach Turner. I will miss you, you were a class act in everyway possible......:salute:

getlynched47
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, since there wasn't much McDaniels could do considering that Turner was offered a "promotion" by Shanahan............CURSE YOU MIKE SHANAHAN!!!

It's a sad day in Broncos Country, because our vaunted zone blocking scheme will leave along with Dennison (Texans) and Turner (Redskins). I loved that system, and we also just lost the best runningbacks coach in the entire NFL. That's a shame.

Goodbye Bobby Turner. :salute:

Lonestar
01-12-2010, 12:25 AM
wow the thought of losing a RB coach sure has bunch of you in a twitter..

If he is not teaching ZBS WTFC..

happy for him hope he gets a huge raise..

frauschieze
01-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, since there wasn't much McDaniels could do considering that Turner was offered a "promotion" by Shanahan............CURSE YOU MIKE SHANAHAN!!!

:doh::doh::doh:

Some people just can't read.

slim
01-12-2010, 12:33 AM
There is a point of contention here that is making me laugh OL.

You guys are funny.

pnbronco
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
There is a point of contention here that is making me laugh OL.

You guys are funny.

Slim there you go using those big words again.....:laugh:

slim
01-12-2010, 12:39 AM

:hi:

I don't know any big words...I just like the Broncos.

Dzone
01-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Turners running backs ran better in shanahans system...Turner probably cant wait to leave

dogfish
01-12-2010, 01:06 AM

well, slim's a big guy, so it's appropriate. . .

Elevation inc
01-12-2010, 05:11 AM
there is a new article in the post, thats states the job offer shanny came back wit ha second time is now a promotion so the broncos cant prevent turner from interviewing or accepting as the job is no longer lateral like the first offer...

It would be turners choice to leave if he did....MCD didnt allow anything he has to follow the rules....

he didnt want turner to go, but if turner wants to go to washington thats his choice not MCd's fault in any way shape or from...

the new title is Associate head coach....thats a big pay raise over RB position coach....MCd has no choice.....

love to see the spin on how MCd sucks now....

here is the link....
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14169715

Dirk
01-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Ok, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I love Turner and think he deserves to get a promotion!

He is a great RB coach and has done some great things with our running backs in the ZBS.

But looking at it in a different light, Denver has had 1 running back with a rushing title in the last 30 years. That being TD in 1998.

Now I know that consistency and having 1000 yard rushers for multiple years speaks much to Turners ability to coach. And I know it has a lot to do with the player's abilities as well. And o-line..yada yada yada.

Turner was a great, hard working RB coach and deserves to get a promotion and work with his friend and I love to see it happen.

This could be good for us. It's always hard to say good-bye to someone we trust but change is often good.

Let's just hope McD is able to find a RB coach that can fill his shoes if not exceed Turner's success in Denver.

claymore
01-12-2010, 08:34 AM
We might need Jesus to coach our backs in this scheme. Im sure turner is doing Cheetah flips right now.

TXBRONC
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Not necessarily because as someone just mentioned picks and cash don't get offered up for assistant coaches.

TXBRONC
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM

The defensive staff sure. Offensive coaches that he brought in I don't know. Since he does all the play calling it's hard to say. Special teams did do a great job, better than last year overall but much of turnaround came from putting starters on the Special teams units.

frauschieze
01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Here's the situation. Either:

1. Assistant head coach is an assistant coaching position, and McD decided to allow Turner to interview but did not have to, same as the first time the Redskins came to the Broncos.

or

2. McD couldn't do anything about it because the position has the words "head coach" in them and we can be compensated with draft picks and money.

Simple as that. After reading the actual rules on anti-tampering that the NFL has set up, I'm quite positive #1 is the correct answer.

Dirk
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
We might need Jesus to coach our backs in this scheme. Im sure turner is doing Cheetah flips right now.

No one can ever deny that you are one of a kind Clay. :rolleyes:

GEM
01-12-2010, 10:47 AM
They said on the news last night that Redskins are offering Turner Asst Head Coach position. Smartly played Shanny. Did everyone not see that one coming?

Dirk
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
They said on the news last night that Redskins are offering Turner Asst Head Coach position. Smartly played Shanny. Did everyone not see that one coming?

Yeah, once the Broncos denied...it was obvious that Shanny would do that. He is a major cog for what Shanny like to do on offense.

Hopefully there is some kind of compensation like some have elluded to. I don't think there is. But one can hope!

AlWilsonizKING
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I'll never forget seeing him on the sidelines during the '97 SB rooting on TD after scoring one of his 3 TD's.

Will miss him but wish him the best!!!!

PEACE!!!

Ravage!!!
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Exactly.. which is what I guessed would happen, and thus Shanahan would get the interview. Then people are saying that the 'assist head coach' title doesn't make a difference, YET... he is now getting the interview once the 'assoc/assist HC" title is put on the job offer.

So I'm thinking the rule IS that the assistant HC is a promotion, and thus, we can't really stop him from interviewing for the job. I just don't see what could have changed other than what everyone here guessed would happen.

Ravage!!!
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah, once the Broncos denied...it was obvious that Shanny would do that. He is a major cog for what Shanny like to do on offense.

Hopefully there is some kind of compensation like some have elluded to. I don't think there is. But one can hope!

If its a promotion in tier, then I don't think we get compensation. We would get compensation for a lateral movement, but why would we deny it before, and now allow it if we are going for the compensation?

Elevation inc
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Exactly.. which is what I guessed would happen, and thus Shanahan would get the interview. Then people are saying that the 'assist head coach' title doesn't make a difference, YET... he is now getting the interview once the 'assoc/assist HC" title is put on the job offer.

So I'm thinking the rule IS that the assistant HC is a promotion, and thus, we can't really stop him from interviewing for the job. I just don't see what could have changed other than what everyone here guessed would happen.

associate and Assistant head coach are 2 different titles....the associate title was essentially still lateral...assistant is now a big promotion so our hands are tied....turner interviews and the only way he is coming back is if he likes it here....lol i think he does but he is good friends with shanny and will get paid more...not a hard decision in my eyes even if he was coming of a SB victory with MCD....

and compensation is not even a remote possibility here...all we get is turners contract off the books.....just like when bates contract went off the books when USC hired him...same concept....

Dirk
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
If its a promotion in tier, then I don't think we get compensation. We would get compensation for a lateral movement, but why would we deny it before, and now allow it if we are going for the compensation?

True. I am just wishful thinking on the compensation since their hands are tied now. ;)

frauschieze
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
:doh:

I give up on you people.

READ THIS!!! (http://www.insidefootball.com/antitamperingpolicy.pdf)

(Hint: It's the NFL's anti-tampering policy and it specifically addresses what a promotion is, when a coach can be hired away to another team and when compensation can be made. Try pages 6 through 10.)

Y'all are making things up without knowing what you're talking about and then spreading incorrect information.

Elevation inc
01-12-2010, 02:11 PM

I give up on you people.

(Hint: It's the NFL's anti-tampering policy and it specifically addresses what a promotion is, when a coach can be hired away to another team and when compensation can be made. Try pages 6 through 10.)

Y'all are making things up without knowing what you're talking about and then spreading incorrect information.

as the singer shaggy once stated............IT WASNT ME:lol:

dogfish
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
nice work, guys-- ya done got cheese all pissed off. . . .

:fear:

broncophan
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM

I give up on you people.

Isn't that what message boards are all about??????:confused:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Why does this Make Josh McDaniels a bad guy? Lol.

Dude, Turner is Shanny's boy. If anything, McD allowing Shanny to have him only shows what a good guy McD is. Turner isn't even McD's guy, and if he was, the situation would be different. Turner is a great, great, running backs coach. And although it would be nice to have him, the guy has been in the same position for 15 years. If you respect Turner, be happy for him, although its tough to see him leave Denver. It seems like he is more of a ZB coach anyway, a direction we are going away from. Maybe McD thought, "Man, if this was my guy, and I was in the same situation Shanny was in, I'd want him pretty bad too. Plus, he might fit better in Washington anyway."

Good luck Turner, you'll be missed.

Actually, I'm glad to see Turner given the opportunity to get promoted. I actually wasn't thrilled with the Broncos preventing him from interviewing. I think that was kind of lame. :salute: to the FO for giving Turner an opportunity.