PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or XBox 360

NightTrainLayne
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I've been debating pulling the trigger on purchasing one or the other for about 6 montsh now. I have a 1st-gen Xbox, and like it. I had been leaning toward the 360 just because of the backwards compatability for my old games.

However, now that BlueRay is the winner in the BR/HDDVD battle it has pushed me more toward PS3, and it appears that PS3 might be the better technology anyways.

Anybody have any thoughts on this to share? I'm looking at getting the 40 gig PS3.

atwater27
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
PS3. No brainer. At the very least a high def DVD player. Backwards compatibility a no brainer too. I hear if you are an online playing addict, it has its drawbacks compared to everyone else, but besides that, PS all the way.

MOtorboat
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I owned an XBox, and now I own an XBox 360. Never been not satisfied, but I don't game online. Like I've said, I just bought an HD TV and it's pretty cool. I've heard both are about the same graphics-wise if you're not a junkie...

But, it doesn't play Blu Ray and the PS3 does...so if I was buying one now, it might be the PS3.

I like the controller of the XBox vs. PS3 (I owned an original Playstation in college...), but you get used to what you use after a while anyway.

Just my two cents.

NightTrainLayne
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
PS3. No brainer. At the very least a high def DVD player. Backwards compatibility a no brainer too. I hear if you are an online playing addict, it has its drawbacks compared to everyone else, but besides that, PS all the way.

Thanks Atwater, I wasn't expecting a response from you, but now you've sealed the deal.

I will buy an Xbox 360. :D

J/K

NightTrainLayne
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I owned an XBox, and now I own an XBox 360. Never been not satisfied, but I don't game online. Like I've said, I just bought an HD TV and it's pretty cool. I've heard both are about the same graphics-wise if you're not a junkie...

But, it doesn't play Blu Ray and the PS3 does...so if I was buying one now, it might be the PS3.

I like the controller of the XBox vs. PS3 (I owned an original Playstation in college...), but you get used to what you use after a while anyway.

Just my two cents.

Right on. I had the original Playstation, then went with the Xbox also (I like the Xbox controllers better too). I've just been waiting to see which one would take the lead here.

atwater27
02-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Atwater, I wasn't expecting a response from you, but now you've sealed the deal.

I will buy an Xbox 360. :D

J/K

Yeah, my opinion is pretty popular today.

MOtorboat
02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Right on. I had the original Playstation, then went with the Xbox also (I like the Xbox controllers better too). I've just been waiting to see which one would take the lead here.

What games are you into?

Sports/First-Person Action...

See, my favorite titles have always been on XBox...if ever any of them go exclusively PS3, I might switch, but until they do, I'll stick with the xBox...

As soon as the TV is paid off, I think I'm going to buy a Blu Ray player anyway...

NightTrainLayne
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
What games are you into?

Sports/First-Person Action...

See, my favorite titles have always been on XBox...if ever any of them go exclusively PS3, I might switch, but until they do, I'll stick with the xBox...

As soon as the TV is paid off, I think I'm going to buy a Blu Ray player anyway...

My favorites have usually fallen into the sports simulation category. I love Madden, MLB, Tiger Woods Golf, NBA Live etc.

I'm also a big fan of driving simulators like Forza, and I love the Driver series.

Finally, I can't put down Splinter Cell, and I really enjoy the Rainbow 6 series, and other multi-player war simulations.

Not big on first-person shooters, and/or martial arts fighting games where the only object is to see how fast you can repeatedly hit all the buttons simultaneously.

shank
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
i think the playing field is pretty level, but i agree that ps3 has to get the nod because of blu ray winning the format war.

i think you just need to ask yourself whether you want to play metal gear solid 4, killzone 2, and GTA4 or if you want to play Halo 3 and Gears of War 2..

everything else is pretty level, especially if you like sports games the most, as they are all multi-platform.

(my rommate has a ps3 and a 360 to go with my hdtv. it's a sweet setup. i personally play the ps3 more)

MOtorboat
02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
My favorites have usually fallen into the sports simulation category. I love Madden, MLB, Tiger Woods Golf, NBA Live etc.

I'm also a big fan of driving simulators like Forza, and I love the Driver series.

Finally, I can't put down Splinter Cell, and I really enjoy the Rainbow 6 series, and other multi-player war simulations.

Not big on first-person shooters, and/or martial arts fighting games where the only object is to see how fast you can repeatedly hit all the buttons simultaneously.

I suck at first-person shooters. I own the original Forza, but don't play it as often as I should. Great game, though. I also am into the Tony Hawk series, though I haven't bought one for the next-gen yet.

I mostly play Madden, College Football, NBA Live and (soon) MLB 2K8.

XBox works perfectly fine for everything I want it for...

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I've got a 360, and am a big fan of it. Not opposed to the PS3, just never been a Sony consoles gamer. I suck at most first person shooters, but I like them, and the majority of good games that aren't FPSs are multi-console. Also, someone here posted a link on a possible XBox 360 Blu Ray player bought separately from the console.

PS3 is supposed to have this crazy online universe thing called "Playstation Home" or something like that, with a crazy interface where you design a "home" based on your achievements in games and customizable features. PS3 is expected to outsell the 360 this year, though.

Really can't go wrong with either.

shank
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
PS3 is expected to outsell the 360 this year, though.

Really can't go wrong with either.

i would expect ps3 to see a big jump in sales with the death of hddvd. it's still the best option available for people wanting to get into the high def market. it's a blu ray player that doubles as a great video game console!

my personal suggestion is to go with a ps3. both are great consoles, but ps3 has high def videos (and will continue to have them), and i personally prefer the sony game franchises over the 360's.

sneakers
02-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I personally have a ps3 but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

MOtorboat
02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
NTL...I think the Blu Ray capability would push it over the edge for me...if I had had a choice between the 360 and the PS3 (I bought my 360 before the PS3 came out, and I bought fairly quickly because my xbox crapped out finally), I think I'd choose PS3 for that reason. Madden, College Football, Baseball, Tony Hawk...those types should never be restricted to one console...at least not for the foreseeable future.

Reidman
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
I've had my PS3 for a few months now and I love it, haven't had any problems although it has hung up maybe once or twice, not sure why, I might have been over tasking it's processor or something. Anyway, it does just about everything...

Blu Ray player is great addition. Online gaming is fun and free. One really cool thing I just figured out is this DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) which allows me to stream my entire photo collection, entire music library and any movies I have downloaded, straight to the PS3 from my desktop computer or laptop! Load times are relatively fast too even for graphic intensive games and Blu ray discs.

I have heard Xbox 360 is more for hard core gamers if that's what you're into but I have no basis for comparison to back that up.

Good luck with whatever route you go.

shank
02-28-2008, 02:57 AM
my parents just bought a 42" lg HDTV.

i told them the next thing they need to buy is a ps3, the most capable high-def player EVER!

broncosfanscott
02-28-2008, 03:07 AM

Just my two cents.

I have a XBOX360 and like you have never had a problem. My dad won an XBOX so that is how I got on that system. Totally agree with you on the controllers. The PS3 controllers are smaller than the 360, which are more comfortable to hold.

My friend has PS3 and is a pretty cool system. I mean you have a Blue-Ray DVD player and a game system all rolled into one. And the graphics are sick too.

For a first system, PS3 is a good way to go.

MHCBill
02-28-2008, 07:34 AM
PS3 for no other reason than the Blu-Ray...

Value Value Value

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 04:57 AM
I've been debating pulling the trigger on purchasing one or the other for about 6 montsh now. I have a 1st-gen Xbox, and like it. I had been leaning toward the 360 just because of the backwards compatability for my old games.

However, now that BlueRay is the winner in the BR/HDDVD battle it has pushed me more toward PS3, and it appears that PS3 might be the better technology anyways.

Anybody have any thoughts on this to share? I'm looking at getting the 40 gig PS3.

If your into playing games, the Xbox 360 is a no brainer. And if you are into playing games online the Xbox 360 is a no brainer.

I recommend the Xbox 360 Elite.

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 05:01 AM
GTA4

GT4 will be better on the 360 because of the eipisodic content, which is not available on the PS3. If you want to play GT4, buy the 360.

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 05:03 AM

If this is what you like, the 360 is where to go.

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 05:11 AM

Get the 360/Xbox Live and call it a day. You can thank me later.

Den21vsBal19
02-29-2008, 10:18 AM

I don't know if Sony are doing the same in the US, but hardware backward compatabilty was ended in Europe before Christmas, although I believe that some form of software emulation is forthcoming.

Again, I don't know if they're going to produce something similar in the states, but they're also launching, in Europe, a twin digital tuner/ HDD recorder addition as well, so they really are trying to turn it into the centrepiece of your home entertainment.

NightTrainLayne
02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
If your into playing games, the Xbox 360 is a no brainer. And if you are into playing games online the Xbox 360 is a no brainer.

I recommend the Xbox 360 Elite.

GT4 will be better on the 360 because of the eipisodic content, which is not available on the PS3. If you want to play GT4, buy the 360.

If this is what you like, the 360 is where to go.

Get the 360/Xbox Live and call it a day. You can thank me later.

You're too late. I already ordered the PS3. It'll be here next week.

Thanks for the healthy dose of buyer's remorse before I even get it. :D

MOtorboat
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
You're too late. I already ordered the PS3. It'll be here next week.

Thanks for the healthy dose of buyer's remorse before I even get it. :D

You'll like the Blu Ray NTL...I think that will pay off in the future...

Benetto
02-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Everybody who has one of the two systems will defend the one they bought through and through, til the bitter end.

I have both systems, and have had them for a year now...I have roughly 21 PS3 games, and 13 Xbox games.

The PS3 is by far the more advanced, and user friendly system. It's simple, VERY powerful, has a web browser built in, and runs a lot cooler than the Xbox (MUCH longer lifetime). Also, the 1080p feature on the PS3 is real 1080P...The Xbox converts the 720P to use HDMI..Thus making the 1080P a LOT less defined.

As far as game play, consistency, and visuals...The PS3 is also superior. Anyone who gets a Xbox over the PS3 is making a mistake, if you ask me.

The only thing the Xbox has the upper hand on, is the controller. Much better controller with the Xbox.

Blu-ray is just the extra incentive, and the blanket you can wrap around your brain, knowing you made the right decision with PS3.

NightTrainLayne
02-29-2008, 11:53 AM
You'll like the Blu Ray NTL...I think that will pay off in the future...

Yes, I think so. I researched this quite a bit besides just posting here, and it looks like to me that the PS3 is getting ready to overtake Xbox 360. XBox had a great lead getting out a year ahead of time, but looks to me like the PS3 is poised to become the dominant platform.

It looks like most all the games I like to play are available on PS3, or facsimiles of these, and plus the BlueRay player pushes it over the edge.

Thanks everyone for their opinions.

shank
03-01-2008, 01:08 AM
thank you much benetto.

stargazer is a blatant fanboy who would defend lung cancer to the death (lol) if he paid money for it...

i used to be a sony fanboy, but now live in a sony/ms dual household and see that they are both great systems, giving the edge to the ps3 almost only for blu ray. you can't go wrong either way, but blu ray is a bonus if you have a high def tv or plan to have one soon.

Stargazer
03-01-2008, 03:30 AM
stargazer is a blatant fanboy who would defend lung cancer to the death (lol) if he paid money for it...

i used to be a sony fanboy, but now live in a sony/ms dual household and see that they are both great systems, giving the edge to the ps3 almost only for blu ray. you can't go wrong either way, but blu ray is a bonus if you have a high def tv or plan to have one soon.

If you want blu-ray, go with the PS3. If you want to play games & online multiplayer, go with the 360. It's that simple.

Stargazer
03-01-2008, 03:39 AM
but looks to me like the PS3 is poised to become the dominant platform.

That's the problem. It is not the dominant platform when it comes to games. Third party games are built with the 360 in mind, and ported over to the ps3. And the same game that arrives on the 360 could take almost a year to appear on the PS3. Think Lost Planet. And then, it still doesn't hold up to the 360 because it's a crappy port. 3rd party software always looks better on the 360. Of all the games that have come out so far, only Burnout Crusade looks better on the PS3. Online? Xbox Live destroys PS3 Network. I mean kicks it in the rear and pummels it.

To the original OP, blu-ray played a role into which machine you would buy. That's okay and I can understand that. But, if you wanted a gaming machine the 360 is the way to go.

Stargazer
03-01-2008, 03:46 AM
The PS3 is by far the more advanced, and user friendly system..

FALSE

As far as game play, consistency, and visuals...The PS3 is also superior.

TOTAL FALSE

The only thing the Xbox has the upper hand on, is the controller. Much better controller with the Xbox.

THAT IS IT? WOW!

NightTrainLayne
03-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Got my PS3 two days ago via UPS. I've been enjoying it so far. Bought NCAA 2008, Splinter Cell Double Agent, and MX vs. ATV Untamed.

I am impressed. I've enjoyed it so far, but just wish I had more games. Seriously, at $60 a pop it can put a dent in the budget to get a game library put together.

I've got to get a wireless router now so that I can play online. Can't wait for Grand Turismo 5.

Den21vsBal19
03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Got my PS3 two days ago via UPS. I've been enjoying it so far. Bought NCAA 2008, Splinter Cell Double Agent, and MX vs. ATV Untamed.

I am impressed. I've enjoyed it so far, but just wish I had more games. Seriously, at $60 a pop it can put a dent in the budget to get a game library put together.

I've got to get a wireless router now so that I can play online. Can't wait for Grand Turismo 5.
GT5's definitely one of the games that I'm waiting for, along with GTA IV..........

May even break the habit of a lifetime, and buy Madden 2 years on the bounce, as I'm still playing the PS2 version on my lad's PS3 :laugh

Timmy!
03-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I've played both systems. Both are great. Personally, I'm happy I chose the 360. I like to play online and could give a crap less about blue ray so it was a pretty easy choice. IMO, the Xbox exclusives (like Mass Effect) are better games than the PS3 exclusives. Warhawk is the only PS3 game I've played that makes me regret not having a PS3. It really depends on what your "cup of tea" is really.

NightTrainLayne
05-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Bump for Slim.

I got the PS3 about 2 months ago. I just wish I had more time to play it.

slim
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Bump for Slim.

I got the PS3 about 2 months ago. I just wish I had more time to play it.

Thanks, NTL. I didn't know this thread was here :beer:

Benetto
05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
We still haven't set up that Warhawk Clan up...I will be on for sure tonight guys...I hope to see you guys online.

Timmy!
05-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Slim, get the 360 so I can kick your ass :D

slim
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Slim, get the 360 so I can kick your ass :D

So, how does the online thing work? Do I just need a wireless router? Anything else I need to get it up and running?

NightTrainLayne
05-29-2008, 05:01 PM
So, how does the online thing work? Do I just need a wireless router? Anything else I need to get it up and running?

For the PS3 it's got a built in wireless connection, and you just sign up for an account for free.

I'm not sure on the Xbox, but I know they charge for the Xbox Live membership.

slim
05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
For the PS3 it's got a built in wireless connection, and you just sign up for an account for free.

I'm not sure on the Xbox, but I know they charge for the Xbox Live membership.

Sweet, I have done a little research and I can't decide if I want to get the 40MB or the 60MB. You said you got the 40, right?

Timmy!
05-29-2008, 05:14 PM

NTL: Xbox live Silver is free.

Slim: If you have a cable modem you just need a normal router. You can use a wireless router but you'd have to get the adapter for the Xbox. Trust me on this one, any hard wired connection is better than wireless. Working for Comcast I got at least 2-3 calls every day from somebody with a 360 or PS3 trying to get it online. Wireless connections are a pain in the ass. Silver membership to xbox live is free, gold is like $7 a month but well worth it. Xbox live is WAY WAY better than PS3's online capabilities. Both systems are nice, the PS3 is more expensive, but comes with a blue ray player. If you want a blue ray player, get the PS3. If you want a better game library, get the 360.

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
people say the controllers on xbox are better but what i have experienced is an erratic delay on the controllers. I cannot count how many sacks I have endured since i press the button and it register it later.
That might be since the controllers are wireless, since the signals usually are unsteady on any wireless application. People still buy expensive wireless mouses for some reasons even though they are far away for true gameplay.
As I have said before, my xbox is pretty much a piece of crap, but I dont think it has any problems on other hardware than the dvd player.

Other than the blueray player the best reason to buy a PS3 is not to support microsoft.
waste of source coding, stupid support system and a very arrogant attitude to boot.

I wish Linux would become up to fifty fifty with windows in the future and have all the good games.

Timmy!
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
people say the controllers on xbox are better but what i have experienced is an erratic delay on the controllers. I cannot count how many sacks I have endured since i press the button and it register it later.
That might be since the controllers are wireless, since the signals usually are unsteady on any wireless application. People still buy expensive wireless mouses for some reasons even though they are far away for true gameplay.
As I have said before, my xbox is pretty much a piece of crap, but I dont think it has any problems on other hardware than the dvd player.

Other than the blueray player the best reason to buy a PS3 is not to support microsoft.
waste of source coding, stupid support system and a very arrogant attitude to boot.

I wish Linux would become up to fifty fifty with windows in the future and have all the good games.

Trust me. I hate Microsoft, but I love my 360. Never had any issues. No red ring of death, no scratches, no controller issues. It has been flawless, as has my friend Gregs, who has owned his for around 16 months now. This is not to say that 360's don't have some issues, but so do PS3's. A lot of the time it's the game. Take GTA IV for instance, when it came out there was a bug on the PS3 so you couldn't load a saved game, no such issue on the 360. This was Rockstars fault, not Sonys.

Benetto
05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Sweet, I have done a little research and I can't decide if I want to get the 40MB or the 60MB. You said you got the 40, right?

Difference is storage space for stuff you download from PSN...I bought the 60G system 2 years ago and still have 36+Gigs still available...If you are going to keep EVERY demo and trailer then get the 60 gig system...Otherwise save 100 or so bucks and get the 40G system..You won't need the extra 20 gigs...

A few new PS3 games have come out recently, so I haven't even turned on myXbox Elite for the past month or so....PS3 is definetly the way to go if you want simple/advanced gameplay..

Benetto
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
ALSO!!

Another BIG thing that I noticed is how Xbox whores out their online network with so many damn advertisements...PSN is ONLY PSN....Not no freaking advertisement machine..

Timmy!
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Difference is storage space for stuff you download from PSN...I bought the 60G system 2 years ago and still have 36+Gigs still available...If you are going to keep EVERY demo and trailer then get the 60 gig system...Otherwise save 100 or so bucks and get the 40G system..You won't need the extra 20 gigs...

A few new PS3 games have come out recently, so I haven't even turned on myXbox Elite for the past month or so....PS3 is definetly the way to go if you want simple/advanced gameplay..

Said the man who's Xbox live bio is "PS3 is still better" :heh:

You're right about the ads man, they do bug me....then again, sometimes they are for things I end up buying. Where you been Ben?

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
the only reason id buy a xbox or ps3 is to play madden.
hihi, i started to beat the dude who gave me my xbox after about two months even though i have never played something like that before.

but as far as ive read on the internet, the hardware components on the xbox are just not solid enough. bad dvd players, horrible cooling systems but people say the software games are better along with the controllers.

Most people have problems within the guarantee period. often within a year. and microsoft has as usual tried to get away from problems that really should be easy to fix. like refusing to accept that their choice of dvd players wrecks the dvds until somebody actually went to court. (my problem)

Timmy!
05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
the only reason id buy a xbox or ps3 is to play madden.

To be honest, Madden isn't that great on either system. 07 was just terrible. 08 was better, but they better get it together for 09. Stupid EA.

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
To be honest, Madden isn't that great on either system. 07 was just terrible. 08 was better, but they better get it together for 09. Stupid EA.

nah, its way cool. Especially to play with friends.

The only problem I have with it isnt the gameplay, but the layout and completely lack of common sense stats display if you play franchise.

the AI is pretty good actually. especially the difference from pro to all madden.
They really have spent a lot of hours doing the AI scripts, thats for sure.
When lisp or something like that become usual for AI scripts, man, then we will be talking about really cool games.

Benetto
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I haven't been too impressed with the last couple Maddens either...They could've done ALOT better with the next gen gameplay for both systems...

I hope this one with Favre on the cover, isn't another 08 with updated rosters.

CrazyHorse
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Buy American!

EastCoastBronco
06-04-2008, 07:04 AM
PS3- One damn good reason...Metal Gear Solid 4 --8 days and counting...

slim
06-26-2008, 10:42 PM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/sony-has-lost-over-3-billion-on-the-ps3/1223467

Sony has lost over $3 billion on the PS3

Think you paid too much for your Playstation 3? Don't expect any sympathy from Sony.

In the company's fiscal 2008 annual report, Sony revealed that they've now lost roughly $3.3 billion (that's billion with a B) on the Playstation 3 since its launch. That breaks down to $2.16 billion in 2007, followed by a notably smaller but equally daunting $1.16 billion loss in 2008.

The reason? Pricing the console below its production cost. That's right - that hefty $599 you paid for the PS3 back when it first launched was significantly cheaper than the cost of producing it in the first place, and while the retail price has come down some, the losses keep piling up.

Investors have reason to sweat. In a statement, Sony claimed "the large-scale investment required during the development and introductory period of a new gaming platform may not be fully recovered." They went on to note that they've invested a great deal of money into R&D for the console, a sum they might not be able to recoup if the PS3 "fails to achieve such favorable market penetration."

Sony fanboys should take heart, however. Losing money on hardware is relatively common in the video game biz, as companies routinely lower prices to sell more units and thus stimulate software sales. Sony's game division saw a 26% sales spike last quarter, a trend they expect will continue on the strength of strong exclusives like the recently released Metal Gear Solid 4 and the upcoming sequel Resistance 2.

But will it be enough?

claymore
06-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Well the sum bishes dont have that many games............... This is how HP makes money on printers. If they only make 2 colors of toner, they will lose money.

In a year and a half they will show record profit on the PS3.......... IF not, I hope I can still play COD4 online. :D