PDA

View Full Version : Jedd Fisch WR Coach, and other notes

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8372411

The Broncos appear to have the last major piece of their coaching staff in place.

According to several sources, the team is close to officially naming Jedd Fisch the receivers coach. Fisch, 32, spent the last four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens. He was the assistant quarterbacks coach last year with the Ravens. He also coached with the Houston Texans and the University of Florida.

Fisch is poised to take over for Jeremy Bates, who will be the Broncos' passing game coordinator. Bates coached the receivers and quarterbacks last season. With the departure of Mike Heimerdinger, who went to Tennessee last month, Bates will remain as coach of the quarterbacks.

The Broncos originally talked to Rod Smith about the job but he is expected to remain as a consultant should he decide to stay on the retired list after two hip surgeries in the past month.

Fisch was one of four interviewed for the job.

Talking tenders.

The Broncos tendered their restricted free agents Tuesday. And they might be considered risky. Cornerbacks Domonique Foxworth and Karl Paymah and safety Hamza Abdullah all received low tenders. Translation: If a team offers a player a contract and Denver doesn't match in the allotted week, the Broncos would get a compensating draft pick in the corresponding round where the player was drafted. Denver would get third-rounders for Foxworth and Paymah and a seventh-round choice for Abdullah. Offensive lineman Chris Myers said he believed he was going to receive a low tender as well. He was a sixth-round draft pick.

Foxworth could get interest from teams such as Philadelphia, Kansas City and Detroit. There is a possibility Foxworth could be part of trade talks with the Lions should the Shaun Rogers trade discussions continue this week. The Broncos are exploring the idea and Rogers likely will be dealt by this weekend.

The Broncos were talking about a contract extension with Abdullah until Monday night. With
Abdullah getting such a low tender, some teams may be tempted to make a move for him. Abdullah finished the 2007 season as a starter.
Denver is thin at safety and will look to improve there in free agency. Among the players Denver likely will consider are Gibril Wilson of the Giants, Madieu Williams of the Bengals and Marquand Manuel of the Panthers. The Broncos remain in talks with veteran safety John Lynch.

Footnotes.

With free agency beginning Friday, the Broncos and kicker Jason Elam still hope to finalize a deal. But no new progress has been made. . . . The Broncos have considered defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who is being shopped by the New York Jets, but are hesitating because he will command a large contract. But if Rogers or Robertson comes cheaply, Denver may be in the mix.

claymore
02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
The Broncos originally talked to Rod Smith about the job but he is expected to remain as a consultant should he decide to stay on the retired list after two hip surgeries in the past month.

This is my favorite part of the article.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
This is my favorite part of the article.

but Coach says that Rod Smith wouldn't be a good coach.

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Did I say he WOULDN'T be a good coach or that we should not assume he would be a good coach? If you're gonna throw me under the bus, at least quote me correctly.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Did I say he WOULDN'T be a good coach or that we should not assume he would be a good coach? If you're gonna throw me under the bus, at least quote me correctly.

Sorry... I've never been very good at throwing people under the bus... As you can see I have a lot to learn in the hurtful art... I guess I better follow Beef and Cswil around more and learn from the masters.

claymore
02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, It sounds like they are kinda working him into it. If he can stand the hours, and being out of the limelight etc...... I think he would be an excelent coach. If he can teach his route running skills, he would be the Bobby Turner of WR's IMO.

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Rod would be one of those guys that coulddemand hard work and teach what he knows. Problem is...there are alot of receivers out there that aren't the style of receiver he is. How well would he coach a smaller, speedy slot guy? I'm not saying he can't, but I don't see him as a student of the game as much as I see him as a technical player.

dogfish
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
holy ******* shit!

please, somebody tell me this is a joke!

we brought in the receivers coach from freakin' florida. . . ??!

:lol:

:frusty:

is there another school in the entire nation whose WRs have had worse success translating their game to the pros? good god, florida WRs are a punchline. . . . i know, i know-- i don't know anything about him, and he may be a perfectly good coach. . . but still-- florida??

oh wait-- we must have brought him in because of the excellent work he's done developing baltimore's elite WR corps over the years. . . :coffee:

when did we let watson go?

broncosfanscott
02-28-2008, 02:55 AM
I got a txt message about this and didn't really know what to say as I don't really know much about him.