PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' offense downright offensive

arapaho2
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Paige: Broncos' offense downright offensive

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/10/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

There's no "O" in Denver Brncs, Jsh McDaniels or Kyle rtn.

There's their primary problem and the reason they're not playing this weekend, so there.

The franchise hired a wunderkind from the Patriots because of his offensive imagination, inspiration and ingenuity.

The Brncs' offense didn't score a touchdown in two games, scored just one touchdown in three games and managed only two touchdowns in seven games. It produced three touchdowns in three games and four once.

The offense scored 30 touchdowns (21 passing, nine rushing) in 16 games (under two per game), finishing above nine dregs — Raiders, Chiefs, Seahawks, Redskins, Lions, Bills, Browns, Bucs and Rams.

In 2008, the Denver offense scored 40 touchdowns. In 1998, the team's last Super Bowl season, the offense scored 58 touchdowns.

This unit, led by the brain of McDaniels and the arm of Orton, wasn't clever, creative or competent.

Truth is, there was "D" in Denver, and it carried the Brncs until wearing down . . . and out.

The coach wants the quarterback back, and the quarterback wants to be back. But if they don't change and put the O's back in Brncs next season, neither will be invited back for a third season.

BTW, 16 of the team's 21 receiving touchdowns were by Brandon Marshall (10), Brandon Stokley (four) and Tony Scheffler (two), and two of those players definitely will be gone, and the third, Stokley, probably is a goner. Eddie Royal had zero touchdown catches.

Here's the game-by-game breakdown as the Brncs broke down:

Cincinnati — With only two field goals to show for 59 minutes, the Brncs scored a late, winning touchdown on The Immaculate Deflection (Stokley).

Cleveland — The Brncs blew out the pitiful Browns 27-6 with three touchdowns — one by Scheffler and another by Peyton Hillis, who likely won't return. One touchdown was set up with a fumble recovery at the Browns' 10.

Oakland — The Brncs won on the road 23-3 against the awful Raiders with a pair of touchdowns, including Marshall's first. An interception that gave the offense the ball at the Oakland 23 did result in a TD.

Dallas — The defense staved off the Cowboys in the closing seconds and also recovered a fumble at the Dallas 17 that would lead to one of the two touchdowns, the winner by Marshall in the 17-10 victory.

New England — The offense came up with two touchdowns, both by Marshall, to win in overtime.

San Diego — The Brncs ended up with four touchdowns, but Royal produced two of those with long TD returns. Stokley and Scheffler had touchdown receptions in the 34-23 victory, Denver's sixth straight.

Baltimore — The Brncs scored one touchdown in their first loss, a 30-7 beatdown.

Pittsburgh — The defense scored the Brncs' only touchdown on a fumble return. (The offense had 13 touchdowns in the first half of the season.)

Washington — Marshall scored Denver's two touchdowns before the starting quarterback was hurt, and the Brncs melted with Chris Simms, who will be dismissed.

San Diego — One lousy field goal.

New York Giants — Although the 26-6 victory by the Brncs looks impressive, they scored just two touchdowns (one by Stokley), and the defense can take credit for causing one with a fumble recovery on the Giants' end of the field.

kansas city — With a fumble that was run in for a touchdown and an interception that went to the K.C. 21, the offense managed a season-high four touchdowns (one by Marshall).

Indianapolis — The Brncs scored two touchdowns on Marshall catches.

Oakland — In the devastating defeat at home, the offense got only one touchdown (by Marshall).

Philadelphia — Three touchdowns, but the seventh loss.

kansas city — The offense scored two touchdowns, and the defense set up another with an interception return to the Chiefs' 3 in the humiliating, season-scorching loss to the Chiefs.

The offense that didn't score an adequate number of touchdowns was ineffective in the red zone, unsuccessful on critical third and fourth downs, conservative on first and second downs, inconsistent with a soft rushing and a horizontal passing strategy and unproductive in the first quarter.

It's touchdown football, not touch football.

You can't win in the National Football League or the Pop Warner League with an offense scoring three touchdowns in one four-game losing streak and six in another four-game losing streak.

The quarterback said privately that he wasn't allowed by the coach to throw deep often enough, and the coach said publicly that the quarterback had a "pretty decent" season. The remarks weren't complimentary.

Those who believe the coach and/or the quarterback should be run out of town won't, and shouldn't, get their wish. But the two have to prove and improve themselves in 2010, or there won't be playoffs for Denver for a fifth consecutive season.

Put the "O" back in the ffense and the Brncs.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0cD5ux0L4 (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14158182#ixzz0cD5ux0L4)

MasterShake
01-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Captain Obvious AKA Woody Paige.

In other news the sun came out.

I do agree though.:lol:

dogfish
01-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Captain Obvious AKA Woody Paige.

In other news the sun came out.

I do agree though.:lol:

maybe next time he can do an expose on how fire is hot. . .

que the "well he has to write about something" crowd. . . no shit, we know! that doesn't mean we shouldn't make fun of him-- woody's a tool, he pretty much deserves it. . .

Northman
01-11-2010, 06:55 AM

que the "well he has to write about something" crowd. . . no shit, we know! that doesn't mean we shouldn't make fun of him-- woody's a tool, he pretty much deserves it. . .

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dean
01-11-2010, 07:41 AM
. . . still waiting for the it's only 3 point per game less than last year crowd to come along.:D

Elevation inc
01-11-2010, 07:47 AM
. . . still waiting for the it's only 3 point per game less than last year crowd to come along.:D

well it is...so there:D:cool:

gobroncsnv
01-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Scoring is over-rated...

Dirk
01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Scoring is over-rated...

For real, right?

I mean c'mon man!

arapaho2
01-11-2010, 11:53 AM
heres the crux of the story..and the season

shanny fired for failing to get to the postr season again, and his reluctance to change defensive coaches

mcd hired....scoffs at shannys red zone %..vows to change it..fails

takes over a decent offense with plenty of young talent.

drives a probowl qb away...who despite playing looser with the ball.....scored more points (contrary to the cutler bashers who believe he was our downfall)

takes a solid offense with red zone issues....and turns them into a weak pathetic offense...with red zone issues

ends the season with the 2nd worse (1ST 2007) offensive scoreing team since 1992 ..and when talking strictly offense...probably worse since we scored 31 rushing/passing tds in 07 ..and 30 this season

then probably drives away a pro bowl wr and a good pass catching TE after the season ends

promises to draft better....to busy last year .you know, after fireing the guys who put a draft board together right before the draft..and trashing it

then promises to use players like royal more next season...cause he couldnt find a way this season

i pray the guy gets better

horsepig
01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Pretty scary.

spikerman
01-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. What did Woody write that is factually incorrect? I guess what he said Orton said could be heresay, but until we know different I guess we have to take him at his word.

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Maybe I'm missing something. What did Woody write that is factually incorrect? I guess what he said Orton said could be heresay, but until we know different I guess we have to take him at his word.

in relates how an offensive genious screwed up a decent offense...therfore it is trash..not truth

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 01:02 PM
the article has valid points but....fails to consider that mcD inherited
1) a qb who demanded a trade,missed MANDATORY team activities ,refused to return phone calls from the owner (who at that point conceded and decided to trade the punk)
2)the worst defense in recent memory
3)installed an entirely new offensive system
4)had no choice but to use players not best suited for that system
5)had his "star" wr kicking and screaming all through tc and then attempting to catch up when he realized his fit was not going top have the same results as his pal's
6)had his starting qb playing with a ripped open index finger for the 1st third of the season,and a high ankle sprain for the last third
7) discovered that his seemingly capable (in tc and preseason)back up qb was worse than jamarcuss russell
8)still managed to get the team to the same record in his first year than shanny and all his coaches and "elite" players could manage with a much easier schedule the year before.

i realize many of you will probably torch me for making this post full of "excuses". but these are facts and you cant deny them.most reasonable football fans realize that every season has its ups and downs and we had no business assuming we would be sb contenders with all the offseason changes.
i for one cant wait to see how this team developes in the offseason and next year...i see alot of reasons to be hopefull that we can be a much better team next season and end the playoff draught that was by no means started by mcD or orton......:salute:

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
the article has valid points but....fails to consider that mcD inherited
1) a qb who demanded a trade,missed MANDATORY team activities ,refused to return phone calls from the owner (who at that point conceded and decided to trade the punk)
2)the worst defense in recent memory
3)installed an entirely new offensive system
4)had no choice but to use players not best suited for that system
5)had his "star" wr kicking and screaming all through tc and then attempting to catch up when he realized his fit was not going top have the same results as his pal's
6)had his starting qb playing with a ripped open index finger for the 1st third of the season,and a high ankle sprain for the last third
7) discovered that his seemingly capable (in tc and preseason)back up qb was worse than jamarcuss russell
8)still managed to get the team to the same record in his first year than shanny and all his coaches and "elite" players could manage with a much easier schedule the year before.

i realize many of you will probably torch me for making this post full of "excuses". but these are facts and you cant deny them.most reasonable football fans realize that every season has its ups and downs and we had no business assuming we would be sb contenders with all the offseason changes.
i for one cant wait to see how this team developes in the offseason and next year...i see alot of reasons to be hopefull that we can be a much better team next season and end the playoff draught that was by no means started by mcD or orton......:salute:

mcd didnt inherit a qb that wanted a trade...mcd inherited a team with a 25 yr old probowl qb ...who he tried to trade for a career backup...get your facts straight

mcd inherited a young offensive team with bookend tackles, a probowl qb, and wr..another as a rookie had 92 rec..a great pass catching TE, one of the best running games in the business....and will have it dismantled by the spring

his seemingly terrible backup...never played a game for two season...and was still made the highest paid back up qb in the league...by mcd....maybe he shoulda kept ramsy

and mcd didnt get us to 8-8..nolan did

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
mcd didnt inherit a qb that wanted a trade...mcd inherited a team with a 25 yr old probowl qb ...who he tried to trade for a career backup...get your facts straight

mcd inherited a young offensive team with bookend tackles, a probowl qb, and wr..another as a rookie had 92 rec..a great pass catching TE, one of the best running games in the business....and will have it dismantled by the spring

his seemingly terrible backup...never played a game for two season...and was still made the highest paid back up qb in the league...by mcd....maybe he shoulda kept ramsy

and mcd didnt get us to 8-8..nolan did

fact.....cutler asked to be traded

speculation......mcdaniels tried to trade for a career back up

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM

fact...cutler asked to be traded after mcd tried to blindside him with a trade for a lessor talented qb...and they met face to face where mcd said he would still trade cutler if he could improve the team...fact

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
fact...cutler asked to be traded after mcd tried to blindside him with a trade for a lessor talented qb...and they met face to face where mcd said he would still trade cutler if he could improve the team...fact

i would expect a head coach to trade any player if he thought that it would improve the team....fact
and i would expect a player to be grown up enough to realize that has been and always will be true of any coach in any sport at any level

claymore
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
i would expect a head coach to trade any player if he thought that it would improve the team....fact
and i would expect a player to be grown up enough to realize that has been and always will be true of any coach in any sport at any level

Well it didnt help. Whats plan B?

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Well it didnt help. Whats plan B?

plan B?......simple- train brandstater in the ways of the force (jedi quarterback),build a monster o-line through the draft so knowshon can break 2000 yds and total domination of the afc for years to comehttp://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1356584072400&id=6d6bfd50124ec24db604e2bae54fd29d&tmaxh=85

claymore
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
plan B?......simple- train brandstater in the ways of the force (jedi quarterback),build a monster o-line through the draft so knowshon can break 2000 yds and total domination of the afc for years to comehttp://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1356584072400&id=6d6bfd50124ec24db604e2bae54fd29d&tmaxh=85

We are almost at rock bottom when Brandstater is the hope we cling too.

Elevation inc
01-12-2010, 02:09 PM

feel the force young jedi...breath, close your eyes....feel it!!!!! HAHAHA:elefant::lol:

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 02:11 PM

just because he was'nt drafted 1st overall does'nt mean ..."he's no jamarcus russell":lol::confused:

rock bottom? c'mon things are'nt that bad....if we can draft a couple impact players and get the system down on offense (which would give our D a little more rest through the season)
we could easily be a playoff team next year.....cheer up:beer:

claymore
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
just because he was'nt drafted 1st overall does'nt mean ..."he's no jamarcus russell":lol::confused:

rock bottom? c'mon things are'nt that bad....if we can draft a couple impact players and get the system down on offense (which would give our D a little more rest through the season)

If Brandstater Becomes a top 5 QB I will blow a horse on youtube.

Elevation inc
01-12-2010, 02:17 PM

jesus i wont watch you tube for years if i know thats there.....:cool::laugh:

claymore
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
jesus i wont watch you tube for years if i know thats there.....:cool::laugh:

:salute:

Im a team player.

SOCALORADO.
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM

How bout top 10? Cmon, you know you want to.

claymore
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
How bout top 10? Cmon, you know you want to.

OK, Top 10. But I only have to blow till its hard.

Delgoth
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Well since Woody already won the Captain obviouse award from some on here I might as well try to get an honorable mention. Nolan's D did carry the team. which is very impressive compared to last years D. I think if we can Beef up the D-line and our secondary plays at the same level they did this year then we will win a few more games next year. Even if the offense does not improve. If we move back to the stregnths of the offensive line and stop trying to make them do what they are not capable of then I think there will be a major improvement. Finally if we use all of our talent "those that return atleast" and place them in positions that they are actually good and proven at then I see us as a high profile team again. Again this is just a fans observations and not necesserily what I think the team will actually do. In the end we did better than I expected but still gave me heart burn watching the team I love loose. Here is too an exciting if not controversial offseason.

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM

here's a sexy pic to get you in the mood.....:lol:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1337157359878&id=b1d6b1caf6076f59ce74733623d5d0ac&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.theequinest.com%2fimages%2fho rsay-lohan.jpg

claymore
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
here's a sexy pic to get you in the mood.....:lol:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1337157359878&id=b1d6b1caf6076f59ce74733623d5d0ac&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.theequinest.com%2fimages%2fho rsay-lohan.jpg

He looks sturdy enough. I hope he enjoy's a good time. I know I do.

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 06:03 PM

and thats why mcd got dragged threw he mud for even thinking about trading cutler...then not having the balls to tell him before

and then we ended up with a worse offense...so hows this plan for improving the team suppose to work???

i kinda assumed we'd see some....well improvents:coffee:

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 06:06 PM

and yet brandstater is probably a better rounded qb then orton...needs the game time

Northman
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM

That ones going to sting for a while. :lol:

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
That ones going to sting for a while. :lol:

why would outright faricated homerism sting?.....we both know thats not the facts

Northman
01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
why would outright faricated homerism sting?.....we both know thats not the facts

What the **** is faricated?

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
What the **** is faricated?

ta humen mynd is awunderfil thign, abeltoo reed evan tha wirst spelld centenses....if yu hav mor mentel kapasity than a chimp that is

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 06:29 PM

why is what i say "outright fabricated homerism"? when it is widely accepted that mcD did NOT initiate any trade talks and that he only listened to offers and "considered" his options...thats his job.
he then told jay that he was to be the starting qb etc...then jay took his binky and left town only to start demanding a trade ?
for more evidence of my fabrication there is this....

On Saturday night, Cutler was a no-show at a fundraiser at Invesco Field where he was on the guest list. The Broncos said Cutler didn't attend because he didn't want to be a distraction but that he made a donation to the cause, Dani's Foundation, which raises money for research and treatment for rare forms of cancer in children.

Team owner Pat Bowlen was in attendance, but he wouldn't answer any questions and waved off a reporter.

Cutler's name was brought up a lot at that event, a roast for longtime Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos. Former Denver offensive lineman Mark Cooper, who played in the 1980s, cracked: "Times have changed around here. Now players cry when they hear they're going to be traded."
Cutler has been unhappy since learning that McDaniels, who was New England's offensive coordinator the last three seasons, entertained the notion of trading him to Tampa Bay in a three-way swap that would have brought Cassel from the Patriots to Denver.

Northman
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
ta humen mynd is awunderfil thign, abeltoo reed evan tha wirst spelld centenses....if yu hav mor mentel kapasity than a chimp that is

Hmmm, indeed it seems you have an issue there mate. All i could make out of what you wrote is that you fondle goats for a living. Not sure what that has to do with the discussion of McD receiving calls about possible trades though. What ever floats your boat mate. :lol:

Northman
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
why is what i say "outright fabricated homerism"? when it is widely accepted that mcD did NOT initiate any trade talks and that he only listened to offers and "considered" his options...thats his job.
he then told jay that he was to be the starting qb etc...then jay took his binky and left town only to start demanding a trade ?
for more evidence of my fabrication there is this....

On Saturday night, Cutler was a no-show at a fundraiser at Invesco Field where he was on the guest list. The Broncos said Cutler didn't attend because he didn't want to be a distraction but that he made a donation to the cause, Dani's Foundation, which raises money for research and treatment for rare forms of cancer in children.

Team owner Pat Bowlen was in attendance, but he wouldn't answer any questions and waved off a reporter.

Cutler's name was brought up a lot at that event, a roast for longtime Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos. Former Denver offensive lineman Mark Cooper, who played in the 1980s, cracked: "Times have changed around here. Now players cry when they hear they're going to be traded."
Cutler has been unhappy since learning that McDaniels, who was New England's offensive coordinator the last three seasons, entertained the notion of trading him to Tampa Bay in a three-way swap that would have brought Cassel from the Patriots to Denver.

Because man, obviously he was there when McD took the call. You know, underneath his desk? :coffee:

arapaho2
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Hmmm, indeed it seems you have an issue there mate. All i could make out of what you wrote is that you fondle goats for a living. Not sure what that has to do with the discussion of McD receiving calls about possible trades though. What ever floats your boat mate. :lol:

leave your wife out of it

T.K.O.
01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
this is about football :tsk:

Lonestar
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM

he is a woody

Gimpygod
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Why in the hell would we draft impact players when we have been chucking them off of the team like they were ballast on a sinking hot air balloon? The new philosophy is talent is irrelevant and compliance is paramount. Who are you going to draft that's better than Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Stokely, Eddie Royal, Jay Cutler... it's ridiculous how much talent we have jettisoned. I know you put the Kool-Aid Man there as your avatar to be ironic but I'm guessing drinking Kool-Aid is something you do quite often and quite well.