PDA

View Full Version : Ayers fined for Jamaal Charles body slam

KCL
01-10-2010, 01:26 AM
He was fined 5k and as someone pointed out Ochocinco was fined 30k for putting on a sombrero after he scored a TD.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/09/ayers-fined-for-jamaal-charles-body-slam/

Ayers fined for Jamaal Charles body slam
Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2010 10:40 AM ET
A reader asked us last night to obtain an explanation for the NFL's failure to fine Broncos defensive end Robert Ayers for his Turkey Joe Jones move on Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles in Week 17.

As it turns out, no explanation is needed; Ayers was fined.

Per NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, the league slapped Ayers with a $5,000 sanction for unnecessary roughness.

The hit can be seen at roughly 1:15 of the NFL.com highlight package from the Chiefs' upset of the Broncos.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-10-2010, 01:30 AM
I loved that slam, I looked almost exactly like a tackle dawkins made on a redskins carrier when he was an eagle, It may have been Chris Cooley but somebody tried to put a spin move on him and showed his back which was a big mistake as dawkins was on the prowl.

Of course this was different because the play was pretty much over.

gobroncsnv
01-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I think he deserved the fine. That was just dumb. Hope he's got that out of his system now. I think Ayers is going to be pretty darned good, but don't play your way into a rep like that, kiddo. Don't let up until you hear the whistle, but then, LET UP!!

Broncolingus
01-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Fine deserved...

Course, it REALLY made a difference didn't it?

Charles could've run for 500 yards that day if they'd handed him the ball enough...

Nomad
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I think he deserved the fine. That was just dumb. Hope he's got that out of his system now. I think Ayers is going to be pretty darned good, but don't play your way into a rep like that, kiddo. Don't let up until you hear the whistle, but then, LET UP!!

Agreed! I know this is a "mans" sport but the slam was unwarranted especially after the whistle!!

broncobryce
01-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I remember thinking it wasn't after the whistle. I don't think it was that bad either. But I guess the NFL had to do something.

LordTrychon
01-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Fine deserved.

I don't see the comparison to Ochocinco... the size of his fines has to do with his repeated disdain for the punishments sent down by the NFL.

If Ayers bodyslammed players as often as Ochocinco made a mockery of the NFL's brass by continuing to ignore their warnings... not only would his fine be much bigger than 30k... he'd be likely facing a possible suspension if he hadn't already.

Ravage!!!
01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Agreed! I know this is a "mans" sport but the slam was unwarranted especially after the whistle!!

I agree. I'm in no way a Chiefs fan, but that was just a bush league move. If Charles would have been hurt on that cheap move, he could have expected a fine and a suspension (ala the body slam on a QB a number of years back..cant' remember the name right now)

I was, at the time of the game, pretty embarrassed to be around Chief fans and see our player do that. Losing is bad enough, doing that crap is just unsportsman like

BroncoJoe
01-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I wish players were allowed to actually play football.

broncobryce
01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I wish players were allowed to actually play football.

I watched it again and Charles was in the air when the whistle blew. He did slam him, but it's hard to say how excessive it was. I guess he should have played it safe and gave him a kiss.;)

Nomad
01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I watched it again and Charles was in the air when the whistle blew. He did slam him, but it's hard to say how excessive it was. I guess he should have played it safe and gave him a kiss.;)

Bologna! This is not a proper form tackle and even as hard assed as my high school coach was he'd even say this is unwarranted. BTW! Charles was stopped and not in the air!!

http://broncotalk.net/2010/01/13507/broncos-news/ayers-fined-for-body-slam-of-chiefs-charles/

Nomad
01-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree. I'm in no way a Chiefs fan, but that was just a bush league move. If Charles would have been hurt on that cheap move, he could have expected a fine and a suspension (ala the body slam on a QB a number of years back..cant' remember the name right now)

I was, at the time of the game, pretty embarrassed to be around Chief fans and see our player do that. Losing is bad enough, doing that crap is just unsportsman like

I wasn't embarassed but wondering WTF was Ayers thinking because they had him stopped. Oh well, hopefully lesson learned!!

shank
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
the body slam was already in progress when the whistle blew. it was unnecessary roughness, but not after the play was dead.

a penalty, yes. deserving of a fine? i don't really think so.

broncobryce
01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Bologna! This is not a proper form tackle and even as hard assed as my high school coach was he'd even say this is unwarranted. BTW! Charles was stopped and not in the air!!

http://broncotalk.net/2010/01/13507/broncos-news/ayers-fined-for-body-slam-of-chiefs-charles/

Unwarranted, yes. But you think Ray Lewis or Brian Dawkins cares if it's warranted. You think their mentality should be "I don't want to hurt you, let me put you down softly?" We need guys scarred to play us. I've seen Dawkins elbowing someone in the head as he was taking him down. Unwarranted? Yes. But it sends a message: You do not want to play against me.

Superchop 7
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
DJ, good effort but was owned.

Ayers, poor effort (line of scrimmage)

Goodman and Hill.....ZERO effort.

Mailed it in with the effort in this game.

Pathetic.

Northman
01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Unecessary but just a guy dealing with frustration. Ayers is hardly alone when it comes to players late hitting or whatever. Its football.

KCL
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Joe...there's a difference between playing football and being an ass...He cost your team 15 yards and a TD.I think the majority of the team thought it was going to be an easy win and when Charles was running all over them he got pissed and didn't care what he did.

After the game in KC someone mentioned in a thread that Vrabel was pissed and flipped off the Denver players and alot of them thought he was being an ass and I agree he was...he was frustrated and let it show...Ayres was out of line and I think most of you would agree even if you won't admit it.

camdisco24
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Ugh... that game makes me angry....
Everything about it.

Dirk
01-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I agree that he should have been fined.

But....with the game going the way it was and Charles doing a number on the defense, I understand why Ayers got frustrated enough to body slam him. Not saying it was right...but I understand.

NightTrainLayne
01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I too thought at the time (haven't watched it since) that the whistle only blew after Ayers was already in the process of bringing him down.

I have to say that plays like this are the direct result of officials refusing to blow the whistle at an appropriate time. Virtually every game you see plays where the runner or receiver has obviously lost all forward momentum, and yet the officials hang onto their whistles not wanting to stop a play if an unseen turnover is happening (ala Hochuli).

While watching games this season I must have commented at least 10 times that the refs are going to get someone hurt not blowing the whistle. Especially when we see all too often now players that think they got their guy down, but the other player is not ruled down because he was on top of another player or some other reason.

The way the whistles to end the play are being used it is resulting in players working even harder to make sure a player is completely down, no questions asked before they quit on the play.

This type of play is a result of that. The whistle should have blown sooner than it did, and I can hardly fault Ayers for making sure that Charles was down.

Was it deserving of 15 yards? Maybe, but how is he to stop when the referee finally blows the whistle after he's already in the process of bringing him down?

I understand the 15 yard penalty and the fine. I don't necessarily agree with it because I feel that the ref blew the whistle to late, but that's life in the NFL.

I still think however, that the NFL really needs to review this issue, and somehow give the officials the back-up to allow them to blow the whistle quicker and end a play before someone, somewhere gets hurt.

KCL
01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
NTL...I agree with pretty much what you're saying ...he could have brought Charles down w/o doing that...hell he was pretty much wrapped up and was surrounded by several Broncos all which could have easily brought him down at that point...when the refs blew the whistle has nothing to do with the slam he put on Charles.

It was done out of pure frustration and nothing more...if that had been the other way around..Johnson,Vrable or one of our corners doing that to Moreno you all know you would be looking at this differently.

Oh well it is what it is...the fine was deserved...Ayres and the rest of the defense was getting owned,couldn't do anything about it and Ayres would have liked nothing better than to put Charles out of the game.

OldschoolFreak
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Horrible fine, horrible penalty. Come on people, this is football. There was nothing dirty about the hit and it was not unnecessary roughness. It was, in fact, very necessary as it was the only angle he had to bring down the ball carrier.

Penalties like that are pathetic.

Ravage!!!
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree with KCL. The whistle didn't really have anything to do with it. The RB was stood up, and the stopped. Players know when the whistle is going to come in. Suplexing a player like this is going to get players SERIOUSLY hurt, and will ALWAYS be fined.

I honestly was ashamed of our player for doing it. It was very unsportmanlike, and nothing I want to see from a Denver player.

OldschoolFreak
01-11-2010, 11:46 AM
NTL...I agree with pretty much what you're saying ...he could have brought Charles down w/o doing that...hell he was pretty much wrapped up and was surrounded by several Broncos all which could have easily brought him down at that point...

This is simply not right. The ball carrier in question had shown great elusiveness throughout the game, getting out of many similar situations. Yes, there were other bodies there but no one had the angle/approach/position to bring him down.